PDA

View Full Version : Should UNI be ahead of Montana for #1 ranking?

Engy0
October 3rd, 2007, 12:06 PM
Just a thought to get this topic off, but from what I have heard it doesn't seem like Montana has done much but win at home. I am not taking anything away from the fact that they won because that is what it comes down to but I think going on the road 4 weeks and knocking off a weak bcs team is worth more than staying at home to play what I have heard described as a "weak" schedule. If I am wrong for my thinking then lay into me but it just seems like there should be a different #1 imho.

AZGrizFan
October 3rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
You're kidding, right? xeyebrowx

mcveyrl
October 3rd, 2007, 12:08 PM
I don't know. I haven't considered THAT before. That is an entirely new concept for me.

Welcome to the board...you'll fit in just fine...

Engy0
October 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Like I said this is only opinion and I wanted to know what others thought, if you don't like what I said then prove me wrong because I want to know what everyone thinks. As a UNI fan I am biased, I am assuming you are biased, and there are people out there who know FCS football that are completly unbiased on this. All I want is to know what people think.

putter
October 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Engy,

Don't take it personally but you are a little late to the discussion. If you have been reading the threads it has been debated for two weeks about Montana SOS or lack there of. That is the reason for the responses you have received.

Engy0
October 3rd, 2007, 12:14 PM
That is fine I am new and haven't ventured into the archives to view everything and this was a much faster way to get opinions and it didn't consist of me having to dig through a bunch of threads to find what was said. I appreciate you letting me know though

THE HERD
October 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM

Your kidding right? UNI deserves the #1 ranking by who they have played and all on the road, not four consecutive patsy's on your home turf. Hell you almost lost to one of those patsy's last week. You might not care about the ranking, but you definitely don't deserve it right now. Maybe later in the year, but definitely not now. GPI index has it right....check it out.

89Hen
October 3rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
That is fine I am new and haven't ventured into the archives to view everything and this was a much faster way to get opinions
It's actually going to end up costing you more time. First you'll have to sift through all the smartass comments on this thread, THEN you'll have venture into the archives to view the real answers. :p xpeacex

Black Saturday
October 3rd, 2007, 12:23 PM
Yes.

98chev
Yeah, I agree. I think that montana should be ranked way lower because I think they really havn't done anything to prove themselves as a #1 team. The other ranking that sort of confused me was that wafford is still ranked below app state in a few of the polls I have seen.

james_lawfirm
Your kidding right? UNI deserves the #1 ranking by who they have played and all on the road, not four consecutive patsy's on your home turf. Hell you almost lost to one of those patsy's last week. You might not care about the ranking, but you definitely don't deserve it right now. Maybe later in the year, but definitely not now. GPI index has it right....check it out.

I agree.

grizband
I think he meant that sarcastically, since there are multiple threads on AGS covering this topic.

mcveyrl
It's actually going to end up costing you more time. First you'll have to sift through all the smartass comments on this thread, THEN you'll have venture into the archives to view the real answers. :p xpeacex

I don't think posters here would leave those kinds of comments, hen. I'm offended. And I'm a lawyer, so that's not easy to do!

lizrdgizrd
October 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Just a thought to get this topic off, but from what I have heard it doesn't seem like Montana has done much but win at home. I am not taking anything away from the fact that they won because that is what it comes down to but I think going on the road 4 weeks and knocking off a weak bcs team is worth more than staying at home to play what I have heard described as a "weak" schedule. If I am wrong for my thinking then lay into me but it just seems like there should be a different #1 imho.
You must be joking! This giant maroon finger on my hand says that the Griz are #1 so it must be true! AZ wouldn't lie to me! xeekx xeekx

Welcome, Engy0, you're almost as lazy as I am! :D

Proud Griz Man
October 3rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Actually I am glad that we can bring up old subjects.

Since Marshall was guilty of using Ineligible players in 1996, Montana should be given the 1-AA National Championship.
xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx

mlbowl
October 3rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
PLEASE....make it go away!

putter
October 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
I still want to know why people voted Montana #2 when they knew we had a weaker OOC schedule.

mebisonII
October 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM

easy there....he was saying "your kidding" as in "this topic has been discussed to death, so you must be kidding bringing it up again"

I don't believe I've heard anyone say Montana should be higher than 3-4 for a while now.

edit: wow, there were about 6 responses to this thread while I typed this!

Chi Panther
October 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Actually I am glad that we can bring up old subjects.

Since Marshall was guilty of using Ineligible players in 1996, Montana should be given the 1-AA National Championship.
xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx xdizzyx

Or give it to UNI in 1996....because they played Marshall to a better game in the semi-finals......:D

AZGrizFan
October 3rd, 2007, 01:27 PM

Hey, dip****....by "you're kidding", I meant that it's been debated ad-nauseum and to start ANOTHER thread on the topic calls for a "you're kidding, right?" response.....I could really give a rats azz what you or any other "herd" fan thinks about where Montana should or should not be ranked.

Casey_Orourke
October 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM

One thing I have noticed is where Montana is concerned, it is a case of DO AS I SAY....NOT AS I DO. If you don't believe me, just ask a Montana fan, they will tell you how much better they are than anybody else in the FCS.

And before you Montana fans jump on me, I am being sarcastic, so don't give me any grief.

Mountain Panther
October 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Or give it to UNI in 1996....because they played Marshall to a better game in the semi-finals......:D

I must spread some rep point around before giving more to Chi Panther.

Grizo406
October 3rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of staying on topic, but to answer the question...I say, ABSOLUTELY!

Welcome to AGS, EngyO! If you'd like to see some pics of Washington/Grizzly Stadium...please let me know!??!

Mountain Panther
October 3rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Welcome to AGS, EngyO! If you'd like to see some pics of Washington/Grizzly Stadium...please let me know!??!

I would take him up on his offer, Engy, as pics of Wa-Griz are very hard to find and rarely seen.

;) :p

Grizo406
October 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
I would take him up on his offer, Engy, as pics of Wa-Griz are very hard to find and rarely seen.
;) :p

The following is only for Mountain Panther's eyes, everyone else...please look away...
http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/userpics/10551/normal_IMG_2577.jpg
xlolx xlolx xlolx

Grizzaholic
October 3rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
This is the last time I will say this. It is a freaking poll. Who cares???!! It was done by a bunch of people that are not on this website as of right now so Bison boy settle down. Just because you got dropped on your head when you were a baby or ate too many paint chips doesn't give you the right keep bringing up the same old ****!

AZGrizFan
October 3rd, 2007, 03:20 PM
The following is only for Mountain Panther's eyes, everyone else...please look away...
xlolx xlolx xlolx

Can't you make them larger, Grizo? :o

Insert obvious joke here =====>

McNeese_beat
October 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
I voted for UNI in the Sports Network poll. I left Montana at No. 2, same place they've been since preseason. They haven't done anything to justify being bumped up, but neither do they deserve to be dropped at this point.

JayJ79
October 3rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
UNI has been at #1 in the AGS poll for two weeks now (well, the past two polls at least).

But yeah, while the polls might matter somewhat towards the end of the season (I'm sure the playoff committee looks at them), I really don't worry too much about it until then.

biobengal
October 3rd, 2007, 05:13 PM

Wow, it took 6 posts before a Bison fan chimes in about the Griz. It must be getting cold in Fargo. xcoolx

AlphaSigMD
October 3rd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Yes.

DuckDuckGriz
October 3rd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Wow, it took 6 posts before a Bison fan chimes in about the Griz. It must be getting cold in Fargo. xcoolx

A Bengal fan defends us!!!!

It IS getting cold because hell is freezing over.

Welcome back, bio -- stop lurking and start posting.

No_Skill
October 3rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

That angle makes it look pretty small. What does that thing seat anyway like 9K?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
That angle makes it look pretty small. What does that thing seat anyway like 9K?

Yes 9K more than the Fargodome basketball arena.

uofmman1122
October 3rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx I don't see the players running after them....must've been the game this season where the cheerleaders took off with the captains. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Grizzaholic
October 3rd, 2007, 07:34 PM
I don't see the players running after them....must've been the game this season where the cheerleaders took off with the captains. xlolx xlolx xlolx

We have played our cheer squad the first 4 games this year. We are going to suit up our 4th stringers for the EWU game.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

biobengal
October 3rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
A Bengal fan defends us!!!!

It IS getting cold because hell is freezing over.

Welcome back, bio -- stop lurking and start posting.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot to crow about.... Idaho State and Maine are a combined 2-6, 0-4 (conf). xmadx

I do have faith... Zamberlin will get it going at Idaho State and Consgrove may not last long at Maine.

Gil Dobie
October 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM

What happened to Global Warming xeyebrowx ;)

SeattleGriz
October 3rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
Depends on your motive. If you are "moving the Griz down", then no.

If you are "moving UNI up" then yes.

Basically, if you are moving a team down that has won all their games just because you feel the current SOS is weak, then we need to evaluate all wins throughout the year.

For example, and no disrespect here, but a win over a ranked Furman in the beginning of the year doesn't look so strong now. Are we going to use that criteria as a measuring stick as well? Essentially, if you are penalizing the Griz, then you are basing your beliefs off the common opponent theory.

Just because the Griz haven't blown out their competition, doesn't mean they aren't good. Most on this board don't know what happens in these games. I do know that I have seen a large amount of 2nd and 3rd stringers play a substantial amount of time so far this year.

What does that say? It tells me Bobby Hauck is trying to get his underclassmen some game time before we graduate a large majority of starters this year.

JohnStOnge
October 3rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Well, if you're talking about which of the two has had the more impressive performance so far this year the answer is, of course, "yes."

Which, again, is why I prefer power ratings to polls. All the power ratings have UNI ranked higher than Montana right now because what UNI's done so far on the field is more impressive. But pollsters have these traditions and rules about moving one team ahead of another when the other hasn't lost, etc.

biobengal
October 3rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
What happened to Global Warming xeyebrowx ;)

xlolx

Wow, there is not even one GW topic in the lounge.... a problem in need of a fix.

nwFL Griz
October 3rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
Boy, I know I'm new to this board, but I'm certainly not new to college football (1-AA or otherwise), but it seems some here have forgotten how the polls work.

If a team starts the season ranked #2 and wins all its games, while the #1 team loses, usually the #2 ranked team will be #1 until they lose. There are always exceptions, i.e. LSU jumping USC in the AP poll. But based on this season, I see no reason to buck tradtion to leapfrog UNI over UM.

Am i biased, sure....it's unreasonable to expect complete objectivity when discussing something such as a poll.

One other thing I've learned in my short time here....Bison fans sure do get riled up about their perceived lack of respect (in the polls).

igo4uni
October 3rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
xlolx

Wow, there is not even one GW topic in the lounge.... a problem in need of a fix.

It's up to you!!!

GolfingGriz
October 3rd, 2007, 10:01 PM

And then given back to Montana after the beat down at wa-griz in 2001:D

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 3rd, 2007, 10:11 PM

Definitely NOT Kidding ...

... and Definitely YES, UNI should be #1. xthumbsupx

Griz may very well prove all doubters wrong in December, but right now (as of Oct 3), UNI has done much more to deserve the top billing.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Definitely NOT Kidding ...

... and Definitely YES, UNI should be #1. xthumbsupx

Griz may very well prove all doubters wrong in December, but right now (as of Oct 3), UNI has done much more to deserve the top billing.

You have obviously had some trouble reading the rest of the posts in this thread. A misunderstanding was cleared up quite succinctly on posts #12, 18, and 20. you really should have read those before quoting AZGriz again.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
You have obviously had some trouble reading the rest of the posts in this thread. A misunderstanding was cleared up quite succinctly on posts #12, 18, and 20. you really should have read those before quoting AZGriz again.

Sorry about misinterpreting the quote, but the sentiment remains the same.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Sorry about misinterpreting the quote, but the sentiment remains the same.

I have no disagreement with the sentiment, in fact I agree with it.

01pantherfan
October 3rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
Boy, I know I'm new to this board, but I'm certainly not new to college football (1-AA or otherwise), but it seems some here have forgotten how the polls work.

If a team starts the season ranked #2 and wins all its games, while the #1 team loses, usually the #2 ranked team will be #1 until they lose. There are always exceptions, i.e. LSU jumping USC in the AP poll. But based on this season, I see no reason to buck tradtion to leapfrog UNI over UM.

Am i biased, sure....it's unreasonable to expect complete objectivity when discussing something such as a poll.

One other thing I've learned in my short time here....Bison fans sure do get riled up about their perceived lack of respect (in the polls).

Yes Montana has won all their games BUT you also have to look at the games played so far, Montana all games at home against teams with a combined record of 2-14 compared to UNI 1 home 4 on the road !

bottom line UNI deserves to be #1 with wins over SDSU, Iowa State, Drake, IL state all on the road, Montana go play UNI, NDSU,SIU, YSU, UMass or someone of that caliber on the road and win and yea i will be the first to say your # 1 but until then I wouldnt even put them in the top 5

McNeese_beat
October 3rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Yes Montana has won all their games BUT you also have to look at the games played so far, Montana all games at home against teams with a combined record of 2-14 compared to UNI 1 home 4 on the road !

bottom line UNI deserves to be #1 with wins over SDSU, Iowa State, Drake, IL state all on the road, Montana go play UNI, NDSU,SIU, YSU, UMass or someone of that caliber on the road and win and yea i will be the first to say your # 1 but until then I wouldnt even put them in the top 5

If you accept USC being leapfrogged for struggling with a competitive Washington team in the AP poll, than you can accept Montana being leapfrogged for struggling with a BAD Weber State team.

I've been voting for UNI for the last two weeks. Montana has been No. 2 all season on my ballot. My reasoning: Montana was a clear preseason No. 2 and has done nothing to deserve to be dropped. However, when App. State lost and the question became who has done the most to deserve to be No. 1, the answer was clearly NOT Montana.

That's nothing against The Griz. They just have an awful schedule this year. I'll go on a limb and predict that they'll have to win on the road in the playoffs to get to the championship game and it's going to be because their schedule (by the way, if they have to go on the road beyond the first round of the playoffs, I don't think they will win...).

Grizaholic17
October 3rd, 2007, 11:54 PM
Well, if you're talking about which of the two has had the more impressive performance so far this year the answer is, of course, "yes."

Which, again, is why I prefer power ratings to polls. All the power ratings have UNI ranked higher than Montana right now because what UNI's done so far on the field is more impressive. But pollsters have these traditions and rules about moving one team ahead of another when the other hasn't lost, etc.

Well that sucks for UNI, because the poll that matters has Montana at 1. IT is not what it SHOULD be, it is what it IS. And what it IS, is Montana is #1. Whoa, that is alot of IS's. Everyone in these stupid threads that are talking about what it should be are ridiculous! Montana is #1, personally, I wish they weren't. But they are, so darn to everyone that thinks they should be!

EmeryZach
October 4th, 2007, 12:04 AM
UNI is #1 in my book

GolfingGriz
October 4th, 2007, 12:10 AM
If you accept USC being leapfrogged for struggling with a competitive Washington team in the AP poll, than you can accept Montana being leapfrogged for struggling with a BAD Weber State team.

I've been voting for UNI for the last two weeks. Montana has been No. 2 all season on my ballot. My reasoning: Montana was a clear preseason No. 2 and has done nothing to deserve to be dropped. However, when App. State lost and the question became who has done the most to deserve to be No. 1, the answer was clearly NOT Montana.

That's nothing against The Griz. They just have an awful schedule this year. I'll go on a limb and predict that they'll have to win on the road in the playoffs to get to the championship game and it's going to be because their schedule (by the way, if they have to go on the road beyond the first round of the playoffs, I don't think they will win...).

Well, if UM's schedule is as bad as you say it is they should win out. If they win out, I'll go out on a little more than a limb and say the griz wont need to go on the road in the playoffs.;)

bjtheflamesfan
October 4th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Frankly, having looked at Montana;s schedule...Im not all that impressed. If they took a few chances and played teams LIKE UNI, and Appy State, and YSU, and some of the other top teams in teh country, that would be a start. THe other thing is look at their road games this year: Sacramento State, Montana State, Idaho State and Northern Arizona. Not exactly a "murderer's row". For them to be #1 they are gonna need teh teams around them to all lose in the same week. Now when the Griz start making some more challenging road games then maybe I'll consider ranking them #1...but not now.

AZGrizFan
October 4th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Frankly, having looked at Montana;s schedule...Im not all that impressed. If they took a few chances and played teams LIKE UNI, and Appy State, and YSU, and some of the other top teams in teh country, that would be a start. THe other thing is look at their road games this year: Sacramento State, Montana State, Idaho State and Northern Arizona. Not exactly a "murderer's row". For them to be #1 they are gonna need teh teams around them to all lose in the same week. Now when the Griz start making some more challenging road games then maybe I'll consider ranking them #1...but not now.

That coming from a Liberty fan who's team would go 0-4 against those 4 teams. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

EmeryZach
October 4th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I'll go out on a little more than a limb and say the griz wont need to go on the road in the playoffs

That's cool, we'll just come back up there and beat you again. Ouch.

GolfingGriz
October 4th, 2007, 12:37 AM
That's cool, we'll just come back up there and beat you again. Ouch.

Ill give you guys credit, that has a hell of a win and if it comes to it we will gladly welcome you back.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2007, 12:43 AM
That coming from a Liberty fan who's team would go 0-4 against those 4 teams. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Those ass whoppings would be so bad they would have to call those four games an 0-8.

bjtheflamesfan
October 4th, 2007, 12:50 AM
But this discussion is not about Liberty so I am going to ignore your logical fallacy and stand by my point. My only point about Liberty is that they are two years removed from the worst record in school history. people are not WANTING to play Liberty right now. Now if we can string together a run of winning seasons, then that may change. But Montana has consistently been at or near the top of I-AA/FCS for a number of years. Now if Montana had 6 games at home and say 5 on the road, and one of them was a FBS team (and a fairly good one at that...Hello Oregon...), and one was a top tier FCS team then I wouldn't be taking so much issue with it, and Id be more inclined to rank the Griz #1 or at least keep them in the top 3 in my ballot. I mean you don't have to have 63% of your games at Washougal-Griz Stadium every single year. Take a few trips, challenge yourselves, and then maybe youll start getting a little more respect from the voters.

GolfingGriz
October 4th, 2007, 01:04 AM
But this discussion is not about Liberty so I am going to ignore your logical fallacy and stand by my point. My only point about Liberty is that they are two years removed from the worst record in school history. people are not WANTING to play Liberty right now. Now if we can string together a run of winning seasons, then that may change. But Montana has consistently been at or near the top of I-AA/FCS for a number of years. Now if Montana had 6 games at home and say 5 on the road, and one of them was a FBS team (and a fairly good one at that...Hello Oregon...), and one was a top tier FCS team then I wouldn't be taking so much issue with it, and Id be more inclined to rank the Griz #1 or at least keep them in the top 3 in my ballot. I mean you don't have to have 63% of your games at Washougal-Griz Stadium every single year. Take a few trips, challenge yourselves, and then maybe youll start getting a little more respect from the voters.
More respect from the voters? We're #1xeekx

SeattleGriz
October 4th, 2007, 02:28 AM

YEAH! AZ! What the hell were you thinking scheduling so many home games?

AZGrizFan
October 4th, 2007, 02:43 AM

I'll ignore YOUR logical fallacy as well then. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx We get it. You have all beaten it so firmly into the ground, we could schedule the entire Pac-10 next year and it'd somehow become a "soft" schedule in a "down" year for the Pac-10. Remember, this is only the second time in NINE YEARS that Montana hasn't scheduled an FBS team (Does Hawaii, Oregon, Iowa, etc., ring any bells?). And the list of top tier FCS teams we've played in recent years reads like a who's who. SDSU, Cal Poly, Maine, Hofstra, SHSU, all multiple times. One year does not a trend make.

Jesus. You guys are like a bunch of 4-year-olds. I've said it a thousand times (much like talking to my four year old)----I don't give a rats azz where you have Montana in your ballot. Apparently SOMEBODY thinks they're pretty good! They're #1 in the Sports Network Poll, #1 in the USA Today Poll, #1 in the Sportsline.com poll....I mean, is EVERYBODY ELSE WRONG? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

If it wasn't so damned funny, it'd be sad. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

JALMOND
October 4th, 2007, 03:02 AM

Its the Big Sky, not the Big South. Last year, both of the Big Sky representatives won in the first round of the playoffs (how did the Big South rep Coastal do, as if they really belonged in the playoffs). Currently Montana State is ranked #14 in the poll. Northern Arizona did a commendable job this year at Boone (the Big Sky definitely was not embarrassed as some thought they would be). Sacramento State just beat that same Northern Arizona team. Also, the Griz will have a tough home schedule as well. Weber State gave the Griz all they could handle, this week Eastern Washington comes to Missoula and Portland State comes in three weeks. By your comments, you are implying that the Big Sky is "weak" and I can say that the Big Sky is a helluva lot stronger than most of the conferences back east. You have a right to your opinion as to whoever "should be" number 1, but the Griz are close to the top and deservably so, just as the Cats deserve to be #14.

I should also add that, whoever represents the Big Sky in the playoffs will be battle tested and ready, that's for damn sure. You make sure to keep scheduling Tusculum and Shippensburg. Those wins look a lot better than some other team's wins over Southern Utah and Albany.

It makes for some good discussion when all the polls have seven or eight different teams receiving first place votes. But the Griz conference schedule is impressive enough and, if they get through it, they will be ready. By far more ready than playing a Big South schedule, which has never impressed me.

Ronbo
October 4th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Should UNI be ahead of Montana for #1 ranking?

At this point yes, of course. But they are not. The beauty of our division is that the strong will be standing in the end. And if the Griz are as weak as many believe they will fall early in the playoffs and everyone can proclaim "I told you so!". Isn't that a beautiful thing? Now quit bitching and concentrate on supporting your team.xnodx

lizrdgizrd
October 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I'll ignore YOUR logical fallacy as well then. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx We get it. You have all beaten it so firmly into the ground, we could schedule the entire Pac-10 next year and it'd somehow become a "soft" schedule in a "down" year for the Pac-10. Remember, this is only the second time in NINE YEARS that Montana hasn't scheduled an FBS team (Does Hawaii, Oregon, Iowa, etc., ring any bells?). And the list of top tier FCS teams we've played in recent years reads like a who's who. SDSU, Cal Poly, Maine, Hofstra, SHSU, all multiple times. One year does not a trend make.

Jesus. You guys are like a bunch of 4-year-olds. I've said it a thousand times (much like talking to my four year old)----I don't give a rats azz where you have Montana in your ballot. Apparently SOMEBODY thinks they're pretty good! They're #1 in the Sports Network Poll, #1 in the USA Today Poll, #1 in the Sportsline.com poll....I mean, is EVERYBODY ELSE WRONG? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

It's obvious you haven't waved your maroon finger enough! I'll wave mine too because the Griz are a powerhouse who can clean up against any NFL team except New England. xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
October 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Take your meds!

xlolx xlolx :D

unigriff
October 4th, 2007, 09:05 AM
can we have Montana join the might Gateway...i dont think they could survive 3 weeks in it, especially after SDSU and NDSU join next year!

if NDSU was in the conference this year...thats 4 teams in the top 10 and almost 3 in the top 5. Yikes!

Ronbo
October 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM
How many NC's does your Conference have? Is it one? xlolx You guys seem to be the Conference of smoke and mirrors. Looking like the world beaters till the big quarter final or semi final games. xnodx Montana 20 - SIU 3.

birdbrain
October 4th, 2007, 09:18 AM
How many NC's does your Conference have? Is it one? xlolx You guys seem to be the Conference of smoke and mirrors. Looking like the world beaters till the big quarter final or semi final games. xnodx Montana 20 - SIU 3.Members of the Gateway have FIVE NC's, how many does the Big Sky have? xrolleyesx

Cap'n Cat
October 4th, 2007, 09:32 AM
You guys have your fun, but leave little old UNI out of it.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

FCS Go!
October 4th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Members of the Gateway have FIVE NC's, how many does the Big Sky have? xrolleyesx

Besides Youngstown St fool! :D

Seriously, how many times do we have to go over this?

McNeese_beat
October 4th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Well, if UM's schedule is as bad as you say it is they should win out. If they win out, I'll go out on a little more than a limb and say the griz wont need to go on the road in the playoffs.;)

Ha! That's the point. You better win out. And we all know that's awfully hard to do in conference play when every week your opponents know all the little details about you.

Helps that your conference looks a bit down right now. Not quite Southland down, but still down.

Ronbo
October 4th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Besides Youngstown St fool! :D

Seriously, how many times do we have to go over this?

Youngstown wasn't in the Gateway for three of those if memory serves me right. xsmiley_wix

GannonFan
October 4th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Youngstown wasn't in the Gateway for three of those if memory serves me right. xsmiley_wix

That is indeed correct - YSU only won one NC as a member of the Gateway.

birdbrain
October 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Youngstown wasn't in the Gateway for three of those if memory serves me right. xsmiley_wixCurrent members have won five times (4-YSU, 1-SIU).

UNI is ranked ahead of Montana in half the major rankings:
AGS: No. 1 UNI, No. 3 Montana
GPI: No. 1 UNI, No. 10 Montana

The other half has Montana ranked ahead of UNI:
TSN: No. 1 Montana, No. 2 UNI
FCP: No. 1 Montana, No. 4 UNI

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Current members have won five times (4-YSU, 1-SIU).

Apparently you have chosen your user name very wisely, as this is such an insightful post.

nwFL Griz
October 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I just love the whole strength of schedule argument. Especially since teams don't play the same number of conference games....UM has 8, while UNI only has 6. Which leaves a little lee-way as far as scheduling out of conference opponents.

The thing is, one has no idea how good their schedule will be until after games are played. You can only base the strength on the previous year, which if you compare:

UM's opponents were a combined 17-16 (.515)
UNI's opponents were a combined 27-29 (.482)

A team has no control over conference opponents, so don't hit me with that.

Anyway, it'll all even out in the wash. December will determine who's right and who's wrong.

unigriff
October 4th, 2007, 11:12 AM
its virtually impossible to go through the gateway undefeated. Montana would not likely survive the Gateway grind.

FargoBison
October 4th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I just love the whole strength of schedule argument. Especially since teams don't play the same number of conference games....UM has 8, while UNI only has 6. Which leaves a little lee-way as far as scheduling out of conference opponents.

The thing is, one has no idea how good their schedule will be until after games are played. You can only base the strength on the previous year, which if you compare:

UM's opponents were a combined 17-16 (.515)
UNI's opponents were a combined 27-29 (.482)

A team has no control over conference opponents, so don't hit me with that.

Anyway, it'll all even out in the wash. December will determine who's right and who's wrong.

Montana's schedule was weak this year and would have been called weak last year. Don't play the we didn't know how good those teams would be card. Your AD wanted home games and as a result you got a bunch of teams willing to take a pounding in Wash-Griz for $$$$. However, in the end you are right. December will determine if this schedule helps or haunts Montana.

Grizzaholic
October 4th, 2007, 11:25 AM
YEAH! AZ! What the hell were you thinking scheduling so many home games?

You heard it here, First hand knowledge AZ is the one who made the Griz schedule this year. You can all now quit fighting over who is to blame, coaches, AD's, fans, random people on the street, Bobcats..... It was all AZ. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
October 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
You heard it here, First hand knowledge AZ is the one who made the Griz schedule this year. You can all now quit fighting over who is to blame, coaches, AD's, fans, random people on the street, Bobcats..... It was all AZ. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Mea Culpa. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

bjtheflamesfan
October 4th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I will also say that I erred in that it is actually WASHINGTON-Grizzly Stadium and not Washougal. Anyway, I took the liberty (no pun intended) of pulling up the media guide and having a look at the history (I'll ignore pretty much everything before about 1990 because that took place before I started seriously following football and the fact that I was born in 1982) and I will grant that you have had some solid victories over the recent history (Oregon State IS a I-A/FBS program so a win is a win even if they are not doing all that well in a given year). And it is not all that easy to come up with a lot of good non conference games in your regular schedule (what with 9 teams in your conference thus 8 conference games). My problem lies in not only the lack of real challenging games in the regular schedule (although I can understand the Big Sky being a challenging league even when a number of the teams are having bad years). I still am not completely sold on the Griz at #1. Its good that you play teams like Oregon and Oregon State, and that you have challenges within your conference. Why not take a few trips. Make a deal with Youngstown State, or Appalachian State or heck even North Dakota State. Beat em at their house. Its one thing when you can beat everybody in the comforts of your own home stadium. You got everything on your side. Try a roadie at one of the other perennial top 10 teams. I'll vote Montana top 3, top 5 somewhere in there, but really Im not totally sold on them as a bar none #1 quite yet even with the body of work that I have seen.

Grizzaholic
October 4th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Mea Culpa. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

Forgive me for being slow....what does that mean.

AZGrizFan
October 4th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I will also say that I erred in that it is actually WASHINGTON-Grizzly Stadium and not Washougal. Anyway, I took the liberty (no pun intended) of pulling up the media guide and having a look at the history (I'll ignore pretty much everything before about 1990 because that took place before I started seriously following football and the fact that I was born in 1982) and I will grant that you have had some solid victories over the recent history (Oregon State IS a I-A/FBS program so a win is a win even if they are not doing all that well in a given year). And it is not all that easy to come up with a lot of good non conference games in your regular schedule (what with 9 teams in your conference thus 8 conference games). My problem lies in not only the lack of real challenging games in the regular schedule (although I can understand the Big Sky being a challenging league even when a number of the teams are having bad years). I still am not completely sold on the Griz at #1. Its good that you play teams like Oregon and Oregon State, and that you have challenges within your conference. Why not take a few trips. Make a deal with Youngstown State, or Appalachian State or heck even North Dakota State. Beat em at their house. Its one thing when you can beat everybody in the comforts of your own home stadium. You got everything on your side. Try a roadie at one of the other perennial top 10 teams. I'll vote Montana top 3, top 5 somewhere in there, but really Im not totally sold on them as a bar none #1 quite yet even with the body of work that I have seen.

Well, you know what they say about opinions. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

AZGrizFan
October 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Forgive me for being slow....what does that mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mea_culpa

Mea culpa is a Latin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin) phrase that translates into English as "my fault", or "my own fault". In order to emphasize the message, the adjective "maxima" may be inserted, resulting in "mea maxima culpa," which would translate as "my most [grievous] fault."

birdbrain
October 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Current members have won five times (4-YSU, 1-SIU).

Apparently you have chosen your user name very wisely, as this is such an insightful post.xlolx xlolx xrolleyesx

Some Montana fans needed to know the facts. More than one on this thread has forgotten that UNI is ranked #1 too.

Grizzaholic
October 4th, 2007, 11:37 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mea_culpa

Thanks be to AZ.xbowx xbowx xbowx

AZGrizFan
October 4th, 2007, 11:49 AM
xlolx xlolx xrolleyesx

Some Montana fans needed to know the facts. More than one on this thread has forgotten that UNI is ranked #1 too.

True. And the fact IS that YSU was NOT a member of the Gateway Conference for 2 of its 3 championships. Glom onto them if you want to, but it's STILL a fact. xthumbsupx

already123
October 4th, 2007, 11:49 AM
This seems like a similar arguement between LSU and USC...Based on schedule SO FAR THIS YEAR, yes UNI is the best team in the country. But other than that, I guess not. The only ranking that matters is the one at the end of the year....

FCS Go!
October 4th, 2007, 12:12 PM
xlolx xlolx xrolleyesx

Yeah birdbrain, thanks for that new and exciting info that hasn't been discussed 100 times before on six different threads this week. I've got an idea for you- why don't you start a thread analyzing Montana's schedule. That hasn't been brought up yet either.

Engy0
October 4th, 2007, 12:48 PM
So far my first post seemed to get what I was looking to get. I really don't care that much as to what the rankings are right now because I realize that they don't matter except to excite the local fans to come out and see some #1 or #2 rated team in the nation play some football. I realize that montana hasn't played up against much this year but I will give them credit they won and thats all that matters. I also realize that when you make your schedule you are going off last years numbers and it can sometimes come back to bite you. This post gave me the insight into what others think about this and there were a lot of good arguments made for both sides. All I can say is that in college football no matter the level, all that matters is who is holding up the trophies in the end.