PDA

View Full Version : Tony Moss has a New book about life at I-AA

gasouthern01
October 3rd, 2007, 09:23 AM
For those of you that don't know, Tony finished his book "A Season in Purgatory: Villanova and Life in College Football's Lower Class". It is an awesome read and everyone that knows and loves I-AA football should check it out. Tony did a great job covering I-AA football for the Sports Network over the years. here is a review about the book from Booklist:

"John Feinstein has set the standard for these all-access, season-long college-sports books, but Moss can play in his league. This is an intelligent, informative, and humane look inside a side of college football that fans seldom see."

Here is the Amazon link to the book. I thought everyone here would enjoy reading it.

http://www.amazon.com/Season-Purgatory-Villanova-College-Footballs/dp/080325959X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-3257832-0106442?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191420994&sr=8-1

McNeese_beat
October 3rd, 2007, 09:34 AM
For those of you that don't know, Tony finished his book "A Season in Purgatory: Villanova and Life in College Football's Lower Class". It is an awesome read and everyone that knows and loves I-AA football should check it out. Tony did a great job covering I-AA football for the Sports Network over the years. here is a review about the book from Booklist:

"John Feinstein has set the standard for these all-access, season-long college-sports books, but Moss can play in his league. This is an intelligent, informative, and humane look inside a side of college football that fans seldom see."

Here is the Amazon link to the book. I thought everyone here would enjoy reading it.

http://www.amazon.com/Season-Purgatory-Villanova-College-Footballs/dp/080325959X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-3257832-0106442?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191420994&sr=8-1

Read it. It's a very good read. Villanova is an interesting case study, because its football program not only has to struggle for attention in the sea of I-A programs, but also on its own campus where big-time basketball rules.

The issues that surround being at this level are covered well. I recommend it (anybody in LC who wants to check it out, let me know...as long as I get it back in one piece;) )

Cobblestone
October 3rd, 2007, 10:45 AM

For any sports writer to even be mentioned in the same sentence as John Feinstein says a lot. If this book is as good as some of Feinstein's books then I'll be sure to grab it.

mcveyrl
October 3rd, 2007, 10:49 AM
For any sports writer to even be mentioned in the same sentence as John Feinstein says a lot. If this book is as good as some of Feinstein's books then I'll be sure to grab it.

Ditto on that. I love Feinstein.

Franks Tanks
October 3rd, 2007, 11:03 AM

Read the Last Amatuers about Patriot League Basketball!

Cobblestone
October 3rd, 2007, 11:08 AM

I did, it was tremendous. Civil War about the Army vs. Navy football rivalry was even better.

McNeese_beat
October 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM

Last Amateurs was great.

I don't hesitate to use the Moss-Feinstein comparison. One thing I enjoyed about the structure of Moss's book is every chapter mixes in a part of the season's story with an issue. For example, the week of the Penn game, Moss (appropriately, because of the local Ivy League opponent) delves into the issue of the sort of elitist crowd at Villanova that would rather see 'Nova join the Patriot League than play in a league with the likes of Delaware, New Hampshire, UMass (state schools). That's sort of the formula that makes Feinstein books page-turners. The story never gets old because every chapter comes with a fresh issue that's being dealt with.

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2007, 11:50 AM
Villanova is an interesting case study, because its football program not only has to struggle for attention in the sea of I-A programs, but also on its own campus where big-time basketball rules.

Tell me about it! xlolx

TexasTerror
October 3rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
I've read most of John Feinstein's books...

This book has just shot to #1 on my must read list. Should be able to read it soon...

gasouthern01
October 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Yes this is definitely a must read book!

McNeese_beat
October 3rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Tell me about it! xlolx

Georgetown has other sports besides football? ;) Do you guys play baseball or something?

Franks Tanks
October 3rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
I did, it was tremendous. Civil War about the Army vs. Navy football rivalry was even better.

Nice-- I liked Last Amatuers but I couldnt give it an unbiased opinion as Lafayette Basketball is heavily featured, and he spent a lot of time talking about guys that I knew. Feinstein was around Lafayette all the time when he was writing the book, I would see him a lot when heading to the training room or lifting weights. It would be like oh there is John Feinstein again, he looks bored xlolx

walliver
October 3rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
I miss Tony Moss's I-AA coverage for the sporting network. His articles were always interesting, although occasionally off the mark. Matt Dougherty and Mr. ASU haven't had his level of enthusiasm or humor.

I'll have to add this to my Amazon list.

Mr. C
October 3rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
I received a personalized copy from the author hot off the presses and have been enjoying it on my trips around the country. It has some great behind the scenes looks at the way things are done in an FCS program. There is a lot of interesting and surprising stuff in there. Most FCS fans will enjoy this book a lot.

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Georgetown has other sports besides football? ;) Do you guys play baseball or something?

Georgetown probably has more sports (27) than almost every FCS school that isn't in the Ivy League. Football isn't nationally ranked, but lacrosse, track, rowing and sailing usually is.

People are surprised to learn that the men's basketball team is only about 20% of the overall budget. There's a lot of costs to run a program outside hoops.

McNeese_beat
October 3rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Georgetown probably has more sports (27) than almost every FCS school that isn't in the Ivy League. Football isn't nationally ranked, but lacrosse, track, rowing and sailing usually is.

People are surprised to learn that the men's basketball team is only about 20% of the overall budget. There's a lot of costs to run a program outside hoops.

Hoops may be 20 percent of your athletic budget but I'm sure that March Madness money helps pay for some of that other 80 percent...xnodx

For small D-I programs, hoops is probably the most realistic route to financial stability, so long as you don't sell your soul to it. You think Gonzaga is enjoying its bottom line a little these days?

gasouthern01
October 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I received a personalized copy from the author hot off the presses and have been enjoying it on my trips around the country. It has some great behind the scenes looks at the way things are done in an FCS program. There is a lot of interesting and surprising stuff in there. Most FCS fans will enjoy this book a lot.

Oh my autograph copy better be on it's way too or Mr. Moss and I will have some words :)