PDA

View Full Version : LFN: Around the Patriot League

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
Anyone else positively terrified of Yale? Frankly, I think anyone who calls Yale a team who doesn't belong in the Top 25 as being completely out of their minds.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Colgate is in an absolute must-win game this weekend, and Bucknell is coming off a confidence-building win against Marist. That, and the Lehigh/Fordham clash, should be very interesting games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 2nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
Anyone else positively terrified of Yale? Frankly, I think anyone who calls Yale a team who doesn't belong in the Top 25 as being completely out of their minds.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Colgate is in an absolute must-win game this weekend, and Bucknell is coming off a confidence-building win against Marist. That, and the Lehigh/Fordham clash, should be very interesting games.

I thought before the season started that Yale was a legit Top 15 team and could turn itself into a Top 10 team being one of the best Ivy's in the last 10-15 years. They are a team with very few weakness's. Lehigh will certaintly be an underdog, even with a W over the Rams, when they head up to New Haven next week. I do believe Lehigh's D matches up pretty good with the Eli but that's about it.

The Princeton-Hampton game is very interesting. It's pretty cool to see these two unique institutions cross pathes on the football field. A Tigers win would go along way to legitimize the Ivy League.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Added a postscript about Patriot League attendances. Despite absolutely perfect weather last weekend, attendance was way down (even at the Lehigh game), except for the Yale/Holy Cross game. Worrisome...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 2nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
Added a postscript about Patriot League attendances. Despite absolutely perfect weather last weekend, attendance was way down (even at the Lehigh game), except for the Yale/Holy Cross game. Worrisome...

Lehigh's attendance this year has been extremely dissapointing. The listed attendance is usually a little on the low side but even with the additional 500-600 people it's not good. Even though it was a scorcher 9,500 for a team like Villanova is sad. 4-5 years ago a game against the Cats would have drawn 12k+. Same with VMI, even though it was a misty morning 7,000 is not good. That game would have topped out around 10k. Then finally last weekend against a solid and well known Harvard team only 9700-10k show up on a perfect afternoon to see an improving Lehigh team. Harvard always drew 11-12k in the past. I'm guessing Lehigh will be 4-2 (Yale loss) when they host HC in 3 weeks for a big conference game. Hopefully they get a big turnout to support the team. I have feeling the Georgetown game won't be a hot ticket so the HC and Lafayette game is really the only two left to salvage a respectable avg. by Lehigh standards.

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2007, 06:48 AM

Georgetown is averaging 109% of capacity at the unnamed and unfinished Multi-Sport Field, and sold out the Yale and Cornell games.

Just wish there was actual "seating"... xsmhx

DetroitFlyer
October 3rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
OK, explain it to me.... What is so scary about Yale this year versus the Yale last year that the PFL's San Diego absolutely destroyed at Yale? Or, is it a case where you are equally amazed and afraid of USD of the PFL because they were so much better than Yale last year?

Yale appears to be a good team, but I think they are WAY overrated. I voted them into my top 25 this week for the first time somewhere in the low 20's if I remember right.

Convince me that I should be in awe of Yale....

LBPop
October 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Georgetown is averaging 109% of capacity at the unnamed and unfinished Multi-Sport Field, and sold out the Yale and Cornell games.

I think the best seats in the house were held by the people who were sitting in the aisles at homecoming. At least a human weighing more than 150 lbs. could fit into the aisle. ;) xrolleyesx :( xbawlingx

Fordham
October 3rd, 2007, 09:16 AM
LEHIGH FOOTBALL NATION
That's because puzzling Colgate got upset in a huge league game, losing to Fordham 34-31 in a game which was dominated statisitcally by the Raiders. The Colgate defense only netted 160 total rushing yards to the Rams, while junior RB Jordan Scott had another great day with 174 rushing yards and 2 TDs.

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

First Downs: Fordham 24 Colgate 19

Total Yards: Fordham 377 Colgate 386

"Dominated Statistically"??

And perhaps one of the reasons our passing #'s were higher than our rushing ones were b/c we fumbled the KO after Colgate's first score and found ourselves down 14 - 0 pretty quickly. After scrambling back to make it 17 - 13, Skelton threw an INT that went off our WR's hands into Galliguh's and gave the ball to Colgate on the Fordham 10, making it 24 - 13 at half.

I am by no means saying that we DOMINATED them but we really did have to overcome some breaks in order to pull this one out. I just don't get how you could look at the stats and see what I just listed above .... or, have read the write-up of the game (or listened to it or seen it live) and ever come away with any line saying that either team DOMINATED anything.

Again, I understand that Scott had a ton of yards but is that enough for claims of 'domination'?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2007, 09:55 AM
TOP:
Colgate 35:24
Fordham 24:55

I thought the first half was a pretty strong effort by Colgate, going their way for the most part... holding onto the ball 18 minutes to 11, Jordan Scott getting both TDs, basically, Colgate doing what they wanted to do. Their collapse in the third quarter doomed them (and Fordham's ability to strike quickly and effectively).

But I agree, maybe "dominated" is too strong a word... point well taken. I'll edit that out.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2007, 09:58 AM

Glad that Georgetown sold out both those games, and in terms of percentage of attendance capacity Georgetown is quite honestly doing better than everybody else. It's troubling that with perfect weather, attendance is down across the league. In years past folks talked about weather being a factor, but the bald truth is that attendance is in decline.

LehighFan11
October 3rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
I'm terrified of Yale's rushing game. McLeod had 40 carries for a career high of 230(ish) yards last year against lehigh. I have a feeling they are just going to give it to him all day and stuff it down lehigh's throat. They will dominated the time of possesion and keep Lehigh's offense from getting into a rythem. I really hope lehigh takes care of business this week v. Fordham beacuse 3-3 would not be good going into HC.

carney2
October 3rd, 2007, 10:22 AM

I am more than a little surprised at how poorly the Ivy teams "travel." I attended both the Princeton @ Lafayette and Harvard @ Lehigh games in the past two weeks and the visitors' stands at each were noteworthy for their lack of spectators. Could it be that the Ancient 8 are so insulated/isolated that only League games matter?

LBPop
October 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Glad that Georgetown sold out both those games, and in terms of percentage of attendance capacity Georgetown is quite honestly doing better than everybody else.

If one were to evaluate attendance figures per victory this season, Georgetown would be looking pretty good. Wouldn't that be an infinite figure at the moment? C'mon you math whiz guys...am I correct? xlolx

Andy
October 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Glad that Georgetown sold out both those games, and in terms of percentage of attendance capacity Georgetown is quite honestly doing better than everybody else. It's troubling that with perfect weather, attendance is down across the league. In years past folks talked about weather being a factor, but the bald truth is that attendance is in decline.

The night games at Lafayette are having the intended effect of increased attendance. The '05 home day games vs Marist and Princeton drew 2891 and 4915. This year's night games vs the same two teams have drawn 8452 and 8921.

Franks Tanks
October 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
The night games at Lafayette are having the intended effect of increased attendance. The '05 home day games vs Marist and Princeton drew 2891 and 4915. This year's night games vs the same two teams have drawn 8452 and 8921.

We should also draw better than the 05 Columbia Game, which by my estimate had 11 people in the stands. Granted it was played in a terrible monsoon.

bison137
October 3rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
TOP:
Colgate 35:24
Fordham 24:55

I thought the first half was a pretty strong effort by Colgate, going their way for the most part... holding onto the ball 18 minutes to 11, Jordan Scott getting both TDs, basically, Colgate doing what they wanted to do. Their collapse in the third quarter doomed them (and Fordham's ability to strike quickly and effectively).

But I agree, maybe "dominated" is too strong a word... point well taken. I'll edit that out.

I think the time of possession - which often is meaningless - was lopsided largely due to the dynamics of one team passing the ball and the other team running up the middle. Offensive plays were 72-68 in favor of Colgate, which probably is more reflective of how even the stats were.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
I think the time of possession - which often is meaningless - was lopsided largely due to the dynamics of one team passing the ball and the other team running up the middle. Offensive plays were 72-68 in favor of Colgate, which probably is more reflective of how even the stats were.

Tell me about it, after last week! xlolx

ngineer
October 3rd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Agreed that attendance is disappointing around the PL..By my estimation no more than 1000 students at the Harvard game. Are we admitting more 'eggheads' that don't give a rip about athletics? I heard the U was 'cracking down' on students by administering breathlayzers upon those using the buses over and back to the stadium. Obviously, such tactics will keep the student attendance down, since it's not easy getting to the stadium if you don't have wheels. At the same time, the visiting teams did not bring many, either--very disappointing turnout by Villanova only an hour away. VMI's low attendance was understood. Harvard only had a couple hundred in the stands. I know there is lot more competition for people's attention these days with children and high school activities. Holy Cross and Georgetown should have better crowds with Alumni Weekend and Parents' Weekend.

bison137
October 3rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Tell me about it, after last week! xlolx

Although looking at the number of offensive plays - which is a better measure than time of possession - it doesn't get any better. Harvard had the edge by a whopping 97-52. :)

I think LU only led in one category, but that's the one that counts.

Go...gate
October 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
I am more than a little surprised at how poorly the Ivy teams "travel." I attended both the Princeton @ Lafayette and Harvard @ Lehigh games in the past two weeks and the visitors' stands at each were noteworthy for their lack of spectators. Could it be that the Ancient 8 are so insulated/isolated that only League games matter?

You hit it on the head. I know my friends at Princeton have felt that way for many years, except with regard to certain OOC teams, such as Rutgers, Navy and Colgate, all of who Princeton played frequently in the pre-Ivy League days. This is why I am happy to see any and every PL school trim the Tigers.

Pard 82
October 4th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Agreed that attendance is disappointing around the PL..By my estimation no more than 1000 students at the Harvard game. Are we admitting more 'eggheads' that don't give a rip about athletics? I heard the U was 'cracking down' on students by administering breathlayzers upon those using the buses over and back to the stadium. Obviously, such tactics will keep the student attendance down, since it's not easy getting to the stadium if you don't have wheels. At the same time, the visiting teams did not bring many, either--very disappointing turnout by Villanova only an hour away. VMI's low attendance was understood. Harvard only had a couple hundred in the stands. I know there is lot more competition for people's attention these days with children and high school activities. Holy Cross and Georgetown should have better crowds with Alumni Weekend and Parents' Weekend.

Doesn't that seem counterproductive? xflaggedx Would they rather the kids get behind the wheel to get to Goodman after they've gotten an early start with their gameday cocktails? xbeerchugx I would think the ones that fail the breathalizer should get to ride the bus. :pumpuke:

YaleFootballFan
October 4th, 2007, 09:40 PM
OK, explain it to me.... What is so scary about Yale this year versus the Yale last year that the PFL's San Diego absolutely destroyed at Yale? Or, is it a case where you are equally amazed and afraid of USD of the PFL because they were so much better than Yale last year?

Yale appears to be a good team, but I think they are WAY overrated. I voted them into my top 25 this week for the first time somewhere in the low 20's if I remember right.

Convince me that I should be in awe of Yale....

This year's Yale team is way better than last year's team. The '06 Bulldogs were a young squad that wasn't supposed to challenge for the Ivy title. The team got gradually better each week and I think the opening loss to USD played a big role in how the team performed the rest of the way. It was like they wanted to prove that they were a better team than the one that played so poorly against USD. The Yale team that lost to USD in Week #1 wasn't the same Yale team that destroyed 7-2 Harvard in Week #10, that's for sure.

Of course what happened last year is just that....it happened last year. Old news. A loss to a team from PFL shouldn't have any bearing on this year's rankings. Last I heard the 2007 Top 25 Poll are reserved for teams playing in 2007, not in 2006.

CrusaderBob
October 4th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Holy Cross and Georgetown should have better crowds with Alumni Weekend and Parents' Weekend.

Minor nit - the HC/Georgetown game was niether Alumni (Homecoming) Weekend nor Parents' (Family) Weekend.

Holy Cross' Homecoming Weekend was against Harvard the week before Georgetown. Attendance was probably hurt at this game by touch and go showers that cleared at just about game time.

Holy Cross' Family Weekend was the week after Georgetown against Yale.

The 11,000+ attendance against Yale was probably more a factor of the Family Weekend event than Yale fans travelling well. Last year's Familiy Weekend is not a good weekend to compare attendance to, as there was monsoon that day against Lehigh. Two years ago against Colgate on Family Weekend the announced attendance was 11,000+ as well.

YaleFootballFan
October 4th, 2007, 09:56 PM
The 11,000+ attendance against Yale was probably more a factor of the Family Weekend event than Yale fans travelling well. Last year's Familiy Weekend is not a good weekend to compare attendance to, as there was monsoon that day against Lehigh. Two years ago against Colgate on Family Weekend the announced attendance was 11,000+ as well.

I think the reason why there weren't more Yale fans up in Worcester last Saturday is because the game was televised. I know that was one of the reasons why I didn't go the game, and I usually don't miss a Yale/HC game at Fitton Field.

Congratulations on the good crowd. I hope to see more crowds like that at future HC games. xnodx

Franks Tanks
October 4th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Minor nit - the HC/Georgetown game was niether Alumni (Homecoming) Weekend nor Parents' (Family) Weekend.

Holy Cross' Homecoming Weekend was against Harvard the week before Georgetown. Attendance was probably hurt at this game by touch and go showers that cleared at just about game time.

Holy Cross' Family Weekend was the week after Georgetown against Yale.

I think he meant that Lehigh will have better crowds against The Cross and G-town and those events will be occuring at these game weekends. Lafayette is bucking the poor attendance trend, as we are experiencing some of our best attendance in recent memory. Almost 9k per game for regular games, and I mean regualr bu non special event games. Our family weekend and homecoming usually draw 3-4 k more than a regular game, When we were averaging about 5k for regular games we would get about 8-9 at the event games. Now that we have the 8,500 or so regular average, can we expect 12k for homecoming and family weekend--that would be sweet.

ngineer
October 4th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I think he meant that Lehigh will have better crowds against The Cross and G-town and those events will be occuring at these game weekends. Lafayette is bucking the poor attendance trend, as we are experiencing some of our best attendance in recent memory. Almost 9k per game for regular games, and I mean regualr bu non special event games. Our family weekend and homecoming usually draw 3-4 k more than a regular game, When we were averaging about 5k for regular games we would get about 8-9 at the event games. Now that we have the 8,500 or so regular average, can we expect 12k for homecoming and family weekend--that would be sweet.

Correct...Assuming good weather, those weekends have historically pulled crowds of around 12,000 at Goodman.