PDA

View Full Version : CAA Week 6 Standings & Predictions

BDKJMU
October 2nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Well, I thought I'd thought a week 6 predictions seeing as how people on last weeks week 5 predictions string were posting week 6 predictions on top of the week 5 predictions and results...xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx

Delaware @ UNH: UD 45-41
JMU @ Northeastern: JMU 38-13
UR @ Towson: UR 27-17
Maine @ Hofstra: Hofstra 27-13
Villanova @ W&M: Nova 31-30

JMU Duke Dog
October 2nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Well, I thought I'd thought a week 6 predictions seeing as how people on last weeks week 5 predictions string were posting week 6 predictions on top of the week 5 predictions and results...xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx

I was posting for week 6 but just unfortunately titled the thread with week 5. Whoops! :o Anyways someone then merged the thread I started with last week's predictions probably due to my title without actually checking to compare the weeks.

JMU Duke Dog
October 2nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
To correct...

North
#4 Massachusetts 2-0, 4-1
#12 Hofstra 1-0, 4-0
Northeastern 0-1, 1-3
#15 New Hampshire 0-2, 2-2
Maine 0-2, 1-3
Rhode Island 0-2, 1-4
South
#11 Delaware 3-0, 5-0
#9 James Madison 2-0, 4-1
#17 Richmond 2-0, 3-1
Villanova 1-1, 3-2
William & Mary 1-1, 3-2
Towson 0-3, 2-3

Week Five Schedule
#11 Delaware at #15 New Hampshire - Noon
#17 Richmond at Towson - Noon
#9 James Madison at Northeastern - 12:30 PM
Maine at #12 Hofstra - 1:30 PM - ESPNU
William & Mary at Villanova - 6:00 PM

State your predictions!

JMU Duke Dog
October 2nd, 2007, 06:46 PM
This is the CAA game of the week in my opinion. This game is a must win for New Hampshire at home for the Wildcats' 2007 playoff hopes. I think Delaware is the overall stronger team and pulls out the victory in a high scoring affair. Who would have thought that New Hampshire would start out conference play 0-3?
Blue Hens 52 Wildcats 42

Richmond is hot, and Towson is not. Kind of a corny rhyme but you all get the point and understand if you have been following these two teams as of late.
Spiders 35 Tigers 14

Mickey Matthews has never won a game in Massachusetts as JMU's head coach. This will be the Dukes first CAA and FCS away game of 2007. The Dukes have looked really strong in the past few weeks but how will this squad play at Parsons Field? Look for a closer game than in past weeks for the Dukes.
Dukes 17 Huskies 7

The Pride rolls at home as they look to be a legitimate 2007 playoff contender under their second-year head coach.
Pride 38 Black Bears 10

Villanova looks to rebound against at home against an inconsistent William & Mary team.
Wildcats 28 Tribe 24

BDKJMU
October 2nd, 2007, 07:06 PM
This is the CAA game of the week in my opinion. This game is a must win for New Hampshire at home for the Wildcats' 2007 playoff hopes. I think Delaware is the overall stronger team and pulls out the victory in a high scoring affair. Who would have thought that New Hampshire would start out conference play 0-3?
Blue Hens 52 Wildcats 42

Not a must win for UNH, but close. UNH loses here, they'd be 2-3 and have to run the table to got 8-3, including beating UMass @ UMass to get in the playoffs. You got 8-3 in the CAA including a victory over a I-A and beat the #2-3 (maybe #1 by then) team in the nation at their place, and you're getting a playoff bid.

8-3 CAA with a 1-A on the schedule (and no D-II) gets a playoff bid (has it ever not?) which applies to UMass, JMU, UR, UNH.
8-3 in the CAA with no I-A (Hofstra) or a DII (UD) this season might not. Hofstra & UD would maybe have to go 9-2.

JMU Duke Dog
October 2nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
Not a must win for UNH, but close. UNH loses here, they'd be 3-2 and have to run the table to got 8-3, including beating UMass @ UMass to get in the playoffs. You got 8-3 in the CAA including a victory over a I-A and beat the #2-3 (maybe #1 by then) team in the nation at their place, and you're getting a playoff bid.

If UNH loses to UD this Saturday, then the Wildcats will have an overall record of 2-3 and a conference record of 0-3.

BDKJMU
October 2nd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Damnit! I meant 2-3. I tsum evah dyslexia! xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 2nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
If UNH loses to UD this Saturday, then the Wildcats will have an overall record of 2-3 and a conference record of 0-3.

Wow counting!!! That JMU education is really paying off

Seawolf97
October 2nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Im really watching that Hofstra-Maine score Saturday. We host the Black Bears on 20th. Should be an interesting game.xnodx

Spider
October 3rd, 2007, 08:51 AM
Spidah's over Tow......xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 3rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
From the other thread...

I've been on fire the last couple weeks. Some of you may want to call your bookie and put $20 on each.

Delaware 42
New Hampshire 24

Richmond 35
Towson 17

James Madison 42
Northeastern 17

Hofstra 24
Maine 10

Villanova 31
William & Mary 24

WrenFGun
October 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
I'd be shocked if UNH loses to Delaware. I mean, I'm not saying Delaware isn't a good team, but they haven't exactly played anyone yet. UNH hasn't proven they can stop anyone, but they have lit up virtually everyone on defense, and I don't think this will be any exception. I don't think Santos loses 3 this early in the season. I also don't think the OL can possibly play any worse. Word is, Kackert might be back, too.

UNH 57 Delaware 54 (in like, a 5 hour game).

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 3rd, 2007, 09:57 AM
I'd be shocked if UNH loses to Delaware. I mean, I'm not saying Delaware isn't a good team, but they haven't exactly played anyone yet. UNH hasn't proven they can stop anyone, but they have lit up virtually everyone on defense, and I don't think this will be any exception. I don't think Santos loses 3 this early in the season. I also don't think the OL can possibly play any worse. Word is, Kackert might be back, too.

Ya, but they won.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 3rd, 2007, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure shocked is the term I'd use.

UNHWILDCATS05
October 3rd, 2007, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure shocked is the term I'd use.

umm... how about the opposite of shocked...

89Hen
October 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM

FWIW, UNH seems to be a bit worse than last year and Delaware seems to have improved quite a bit since last year: UNH 52 - UD 49

I'm shocked that you'd be shocked. xeyebrowx

Tribe4SF
October 3rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Having seen UD in person, I can tell you that they are very good. I believe they have a defensive front that can get pressure on Santos, and that has been the key to defending UNH during his tenure. If you need to bring 5 or more to hurry him, he will pick you apart. I think UD's offensive balance will simply be too much for UNH.

GannonFan
October 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Now that October is here the games become a bit more important and this week sees every game being a conference game. Here's my take:

Delaware 49 New Hampshire 31 - Last year was a shootout that featured little to no defense. This year, UD seems to have found a defensive presence while UNH continues to be a lopsided ship - incredible on offense and still porous on defense. UD got a big bugaboo off their backs when they beat pass happy Towson (although a banged up Towson) and everything looks positive - this will be a true test if UD is truly an elite again or still struggling. UNH has to be desperate as another loss will probably doom their season - two conference losses already and UMass still on the horizon. Go with the Hens to keep scoring points and to have enough to slow down Santos.

James Madison 42 Northeastern 10 - In a different year a trip to shockingly-small Parsons could be a trap game, especially for a team like JMU who will leave the happy confines of Harrisonburg after a 4 game homestand. However, not this year. JMU can run the ball and run it well, and NU is ill-prepared to stop it. Richmond earlier in the year ran for about 2 miles in a rout of Northeastern and the same should be expected. I'm not even sure where NU gets the 10 points from but JMU will be bound to be uninterested come the 4th quarter.

Richmond 42 Towson 14 - Speaking of Richmond, apparently the Spiders are back with avengence after an odd year dropoff last year. Hightower is the hottest back in the conference right now and he ran wild against UNH. I think Towson may actually be a little more talented defensively than UNH, but the Tigers' confidence has to be at an all-time low on the heels of a 3 game losing streak with W&M adding to it last week. It just looks like more misery in an awful season for Towson. Looking ahead at the schedule, there's even an outside chance that Towson doesn't win again this year - well, there's still games against Maine and Colgate.

Hofstra 28 Maine 7 - How much longer will Cosgrove hang on at Maine? Everyone knew Maine would have trouble on offense this year but the shocking lack of interest from the Black Bears is the big story. They should've beaten nova three weeks ago but missed a kick as time expired, and then looked like they didn't show up at home against UMass. Take those with a disturbingly close game with woeful Monmouth at the start of the year and a trip to the Island to meet Hofstra doesn't look fun. With Furman's demise the win Hofstra had against them looks less exciting, but Hofstra is still winning. Stony Brook kept things interesting but as opposed to last year, Hofstra is finding ways to win rather than ways to lose. They should have no problem beating a disinterested Maine team this week.

William and Mary 37 villanova 34 - Games between these two have been historically interesting and this should be no different. W&M came back to beat Towson last week while rumors have it that nova was in the western part of Virginia on Saturday, but no evidence of such a trip can be found. W&M's got a little offense going, and nova's pass defense doesn't look too stout. They may have feasted on a bad Penn team earlier this year but W&M should provide tougher fare. And nova on offense has a talent in QB Young, but he's a man alone in that offense. Look for a little bit of a shoot out with W&M coming out on top in the end.

WrenFGun
October 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM
I'm sticking with shocked. I don't believe Santos will allow this UNH team to go to 2-3, no matter what it takes. He wouldn't let UNH lose to Marshall to fall to 0-2, and I expect it again. I'll come back and eat all the crow you guys would like, but I just don't see it.

GannonFan
October 3rd, 2007, 11:45 AM
I'm sticking with shocked. I don't believe Santos will allow this UNH team to go to 2-3, no matter what it takes. He wouldn't let UNH lose to Marshall to fall to 0-2, and I expect it again. I'll come back and eat all the crow you guys would like, but I just don't see it.

Delaware's better than Marshall. xnodx

HensRock
October 3rd, 2007, 11:57 AM
I don't believe Santos will allow this UNH team to go to 2-3.

Somehow, I don't think Delaware is going to leave that decision up to Santos.

ChickenMan
October 3rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
I don't believe Santos will allow this UNH team to go to 2-3, no matter what it takes.

What it will take is Santos playing defense for UNH even better than he plays offense... :p

th0m
October 3rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Wow counting!!! That JMU education is really paying off

Awww shucks. Someone's not too happy about their team's performance...xlolx

mcveyrl
October 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
What it will take is Santos playing defense for UNH even better than he plays offense... :p

He might be just the athlete they need!

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 3rd, 2007, 12:42 PM
Awww shucks. Someone's not too happy about their team's performance...xlolx

It's good to see someone from down there has a sense of humor.xsmiley_wix

Not to happy is an understatement.:( xmadx
Not so much about the teams performance but the situation.

The comment "Wow the dealer just got 4 black jacks in a row on you!" would have gotten a similar response.xmadx

I guess I could have gone with "thank you captian obvious" and not ruffled any feathers.xpeacex

th0m
October 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
It's all good. I hope UNH comes out of their funk and beats Delaware, personally :D

Oh and one of the best 'captain obvious' moments has to be when in Animal House, Flounder is at the Delta house and says, "You guys playing cards?" xlolx

WrenFGun
October 3rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Somehow, I don't think Delaware is going to leave that decision up to Santos.

Well, in the Marshall game, Santos refused to let the team give up the possession without putting up points, which will be equally necessary to win this game. The reason we lost to Richmond, beyond the HORRIBLE pass protection in the fourth quarter, is that the offense could not convert on some key third downs which would have given our defense enough rest to potentially play a little bit better. Hightower wore us down with his continued carries.

One thing I've suggested is that, while the no-huddle has worked for UNH, with such a bad defense, it might be time to take a little longer in between plays. We cannot afford to have two and three minute drives with a defense that STILL cannot stop ANYONE.

With that said, I don't care if UNH has to score 70 on Saturday, I don't see them losing this game. If I'm wrong, like I said, I'll gladly come back and eat that crow.

Nebuta
October 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Delaware over UNH - This game should be exciting, might actually see Delaware's first string in for the entire game. Would be a 1st for this season.
JMU over Northeastern. - JMU is a solid squad, offensively and defensively.

Richmond over Townson - Hightower and company should lite up the score board while Towson continues to struggle.

Hofstra over Maine

William and Mary over Nova - Phillips should have a great game.

mcveyrl
October 3rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Well, in the Marshall game, Santos refused to let the team give up the possession without putting up points, which will be equally necessary to win this game. The reason we lost to Richmond, beyond the HORRIBLE pass protection in the fourth quarter, is that the offense could not convert on some key third downs which would have given our defense enough rest to potentially play a little bit better. Hightower wore us down with his continued carries.

Did Santos let them lose that game??xconfusedx xconfusedx

Jaxhen
October 3rd, 2007, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=WrenFGun;674437]I'd be shocked if UNH loses to Delaware.

I wouldn't be shocked if either team won. Both will have to bring their "A" game to win. I think UNH is going to have to score at least 40 points to win this game. I was hoping UNH would beat Richmond because now UNH has their backs against the wall and will pull out all the stops to win this game. I would feel a lot more comfortable about this game if it was being played at UD, but I'm still picking Delaware to win it because UD's offense is at least as good and probably a little better than last year, UNH's defense is probably a little worse than last year, and UD's defense thus far is much better than last year. UD cannot shut down Santos completely, but all they really need to do is slow him down a little. If UD avoids turnovers and doesn't give up any big kick returns (which worries me a little), I think UD will win this game 49 to 35. Should be a great game.

KAUMASS
October 3rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
This game is oh so close, possible OT. Delaware jumps out to a decent lead, but UNH roars back. Who ever plays better on field turf has the edge here, but I am going to go with UNH by 3 at home and with their backs against the wall. If Delaware wins, they are legitimate and could go deep into the playoffs. Does anyone know if Delaware is driving or flying?

bluehenbillk
October 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Interesting to see so many JMu & UMass guys on this boards & others picking UNH. I think there is a rooting interest there & I think it's because they're scared. UD wins this one & it's not that close.

rcny46
October 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what the story was with the OL last Saturday.I think that is one of this team's strengths but they just didn't to seem to be in the game.Jaxhen mentioned in a post on this thread that UNH's defense is probably at a level below last year,and I think-so far anyway-that he's right.Interestingly,the coaching staff thought that this year's edition would be an improvement.They played great in the first half against Marshall,but sort of fell apart in the second.

BDKJMU
October 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM

Don't think they exactly "lit up" JMU when they scored 24.

BDKJMU
October 3rd, 2007, 08:39 PM

Marshall was missing 5 defensive starters after getting beat up in their game against WVU the week before and they also sat their QB for the 1st half who I read had turf toe. Spotted UNH 24-0 at the half before losing 48-35. UD is definitely better than that banged up Marshall team was. Are they better than a healthy Marshall team?- thats really irrelevant here.

SunCoastBlueHen
October 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
Interesting to see so many JMu & UMass guys on this boards & others picking UNH. I think there is a rooting interest there & I think it's because they're scared. UD wins this one & it's not that close.

If UD doesn't win this game by at least two TDs, the Hens aren't nearly as good as I think they are. Delaware fans are very honest and knowledgeable. When the team is lacking something, it is pointed out (despite the record). When the team is exceptional, it is duly noted. As such, I fully expect a comfortable win as the consensus among Hens fans is that UD has a special squad.

mcveyrl
October 3rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
If UD doesn't win this game by at least two TDs, the Hens aren't nearly as good as I think they are. Delaware fans are very honest and knowledgeable. When the team is lacking something, it is pointed out (despite the record). When the team is exceptional, it is duly noted. As such, I fully expect a comfortable win as the consensus among Hens fans is that UD has a special squad.

I don't know if I'd care about how much I won this game by.

My heart pulls for UNH because of the obvious conference implications, but my head thinks UD will win this. But, UNH is a really good team and they are at home (which is really more of a disadvantage for UD since they're not at home than it is an advantage for UNH).

So long as UD gets out of there with a win, I'd be happy. Well, I wouldn't be happy, but if I were you I'd be happy...you see what I mean.

BDKJMU
October 3rd, 2007, 09:56 PM
Changed my prediction from 38-13 JMU to 31-13 JMU. Posted an analysis of the game under the "Dukes: Northeastern May Look Small-Time, But Watch Out" thread.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM
Delaware @ UNH: UNH 56-49. Legend of Santos good for one more miracle.

JMU @ Northeastern: JMU 38-10. Dukes jump out early, then coast against a demoralized NU team (again)

UR @ Towson: UR 45-21. Hightower rushes for 200+ and 4 TDs

Maine @ Hofstra: Hofstra 21-17. Maine can still play some D, but no offense with freshman QB at the helm. Tough win, but a win for Hofstra

Villanova @ W&M: Villanova, 38-14. These Wildcats are pretty darn good and prove it on the road vs. an up and down Tribe who shows up down this weekend.

Tribe4SF
October 4th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Villanova @ W&M: Villanova, 38-14. These Wildcats are pretty darn good and prove it on the road vs. an up and down Tribe who shows up down this weekend.

This game is at Villanova.

WrenFGun
October 4th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I'm just confused why Delaware thinks it can handle the best opponent they've played this season by "more than 2 TDs" on the road. I could easily be very wrong, and UNH's defense surely hasn't been spectacular this season, but that seems like a pretty foolish thought. Richmond beat us by 7 on the road, and we were driving toward the end of the game, and JMU beat us by 17 in a game that I thought was closer than that, again on the road, and in JMU's home opener in that case.

Delaware won't have a problem moving the football, but to assume this won't be close seems a bit faulty to me. I guess we'll see what happens Saturday...I'm excited. Will any Delaware fans be going?

ChickenMan
October 4th, 2007, 08:26 AM
The Hens appear to be more talented on both sides on the ball and if UD protects the football and avoids turnovers.. they should win the game. However.. the best team doesn't always win and I anticipate a real war and a lot closer game than some Hen fans apparently expect.

WrenFGun
October 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Well, I take umbrage with calling the Hens the better team on offense. UNH ultimately has the best player, and while Flacco and Cuff are both very good, I think calling Delaware the better offense with the way UNH has played is a little hard to fathom. Defensively, sure...and I'm not looking at the stats, so I'm sure you could nail me with that, but I'm not really willing to concede that.

JmuSkinsfan
October 4th, 2007, 09:51 AM
JMU @ Northeastern: JMU wins 31-14
Maine @ Hofstra: Hofstra wins 24-7
W&M @ 'Nova: 'Nova wins 28-27
UD @ UNH: UNH wins 45-42
Richmond @ Towson: Richmond wins 38-14

ChickenMan
October 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Well, I take umbrage with calling the Hens the better team on offense. UNH ultimately has the best player, and while Flacco and Cuff are both very good, I think calling Delaware the better offense with the way UNH has played is a little hard to fathom. Defensively, sure...and I'm not looking at the stats, so I'm sure you could nail me with that, but I'm not really willing to concede that.

I think UD is more balanced on offense than UNH.. the Hens are equally proficient in the air and on the ground. UNH's running game isn't nearly as effective as UD's and they haven't got anything like an Omar Cuff. As for the passing game.. while Santos is much more mobile and will make plays with his feet that Flacco can never duplicate.. Flacco is a bigger threat throwing the ball.

Defensively there isn't much debate.. UNH gives up 468 per game.. UD 290. As for strength of schedule.. sure UNH as played better offenses.. but the fact is.. when they did play a weak opponent UNH still gave up over 370 total yrds.. including 170 on the ground to Darthmouth.

WrenFGun
October 4th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I would never argue UNH's defense is in the same league as Delaware's..I'm just saying, UNH's offense remains the class of the CAA. UNH has no one like Cuff, but Delaware has no one like Santos. I'd be surprised if Delaware has much success throwing the ball down the field. They can dink and dunk on this defense all day, but UNH does not allow the long ball. Cuff might break a few, but I'd be surprised about deep throws.

Foolishly, I believe UNH's gameplan is to allow for all the short passes to continually be completed in favor of not allowing the big play. The defense gets more tired with the same result, ultimately.

GannonFan
October 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I would never argue UNH's defense is in the same league as Delaware's..I'm just saying, UNH's offense remains the class of the CAA. UNH has no one like Cuff, but Delaware has no one like Santos. I'd be surprised if Delaware has much success throwing the ball down the field. They can dink and dunk on this defense all day, but UNH does not allow the long ball. Cuff might break a few, but I'd be surprised about deep throws.

Foolishly, I believe UNH's gameplan is to allow for all the short passes to continually be completed in favor of not allowing the big play. The defense gets more tired with the same result, ultimately.

It's not like the gap between Santos and Flacco is as great or greater than the gap between Cuff and a banged up Kackert (heck, even a healthy Kackert). UD's offense is better all the way around then they were last year, everyone's healthy (Cuff played injured for much of the game last year), and the receiving corps for the Hens is significantly better than it was last year against UNH. And UD doesn't throw deep a lot anyway - certainly some good 20-30 yard passes in there, but if UNH wants to give UD the 10 yard patterns the Hens will score a lot of points. I agree that the score of the JMU game was a little misleading (the game was closer than the final score indicates) but I think UD has more weapons on offense than JMU - heck, I think this is the best offense UNH will face all year. And UD lost that game last year because their defense was terrible - by the UNH game Marcorrelle had already been lost for the year. As the games against Towson and JMU showed later in the year, UD's defense was atrocious. Even if the defense this year isn't as good as the early schedule says it is, the UD defense of 2007 is miles ahead of the defense last year. UNH will score, but I think they'll struggle to get close to 40, and UD's offense should easily eclipse that total.

KAUMASS
October 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I'm looking for some inside information as I look at this game of the week in the CAA.

Questions to UD and UNH fans:

1.Can anyone tell me if Delaware is driving or flying to New Hampshire?
2. How does your team play on field turf?

If this game wasn't on CN8, I would be driving to Durham to see it live.
UD has up'd the anty this year and looks for real.
UNH is always cagy, and Santos & company has a knack for coming back at you even when you think you've got them down.

Should be a heck of a game. Good luck to both squads. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
October 4th, 2007, 11:30 AM
UD flys to games like this. I believe they fly to at least Maine and UNH, may even fly for some other games, but I think those two are certainly flights. As for FieldTurf, I don't think it matters for UD - they've played on FieldTurf (or something similar) this year already with games at W&M and at Towson, and did quite well in both games.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I'm looking for some inside information as I look at this game of the week in the CAA.

Questions to UD and UNH fans:

1.Can anyone tell me if Delaware is driving or flying to New Hampshire?
2. How does your team play on field turf?

If this game wasn't on CN8, I would be driving to Durham to see it live.
UD has up'd the anty this year and looks for real.
UNH is always cagy, and Santos & company has a knack for coming back at you even when you think you've got them down.

Should be a heck of a game. Good luck to both squads. xthumbsupx

Are you planning to stand out on Route 84 and hurl insults at their bus on the way by?

SunCoastBlueHen
October 4th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I'm just confused why Delaware thinks it can handle the best opponent they've played this season by "more than 2 TDs" on the road. I could easily be very wrong, and UNH's defense surely hasn't been spectacular this season, but that seems like a pretty foolish thought. Richmond beat us by 7 on the road, and we were driving toward the end of the game, and JMU beat us by 17 in a game that I thought was closer than that, again on the road, and in JMU's home opener in that case.

Delaware won't have a problem moving the football, but to assume this won't be close seems a bit faulty to me. I guess we'll see what happens Saturday...I'm excited. Will any Delaware fans be going?

I admit to being slightly antagonistic with my predictions and statements. xsmiley_wix

KAUMASS
October 4th, 2007, 11:43 AM
UD flys to games like this. I believe they fly to at least Maine and UNH, may even fly for some other games, but I think those two are certainly flights. As for FieldTurf, I don't think it matters for UD - they've played on FieldTurf (or something similar) this year already with games at W&M and at Towson, and did quite well in both games.

Thanks for the info..xthumbsupx

KAUMASS
October 4th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Are you planning to stand out on Route 84 and hurl insults at their bus on the way by?o

No, but it is a thought..

Your not as well rested driving 5-7 hours on a cramped bus sitting next to a lot of guys 6'4" to 6'6" over 280-300 lbs. If Delaware was driving, that would give UNH an edge. Trust me, it is not fun. xsmiley_wix

DB_Atlantic10
October 4th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I think UD is more balanced on offense than UNH.. the Hens are equally proficient in the air and on the ground. UNH's running game isn't nearly as effective as UD's and they haven't got anything like an Omar Cuff. As for the passing game.. while Santos is much more mobile and will make plays with his feet that Flacco can never duplicate.. Flacco is a bigger threat throwing the ball.

Defensively there isn't much debate.. UNH gives up 468 per game.. UD 290. As for strength of schedule.. sure UNH as played better offenses.. but the fact is.. when they did play a weak opponent UNH still gave up over 370 total yrds.. including 170 on the ground to Darthmouth.

This is a crazy analysis....UNH has played JMU, Marshall and Richmond with their stats (on the road)...the Hens have played W&M, West Chester and Monmouth...How can you even make this kind of comparison....you can let let Towson and Darthmouth cancel each other out....The Hens are going to be in for a big surprise... Also, how many yards had Flacco rushed for...? How will he respond when there's actually a rush put on him? This will be the Hens first real test and I hope they are up for it.....

You guys are bullies...pounding in weaklings and bragging about it...xnonono2x

KAUMASS
October 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Are you planning to stand out on Route 84 and hurl insults at their bus on the way by?

Heckling, outside the stadium...hmmm...reminds me of a Seinfield episode..

Although it is a pun, I do not approve of any berating of any visiting players or fans.(I know it happened at last years UMass/UNH game, which was embarassing-save your carpel tunnels as you don't have to remind me)

Although, as a player, we did have beer poured on us at some stadiums when I played..ah, memories.

DB_Atlantic10
October 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I think UD has more weapons on offense than JMU -
Gannon, I usually love reading your posts..but how in the heck did you come up with this one?xnonono2x

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller..?

Should be a great game. It will be great weather. The summer people are gone so all the great restaurants along the coast will not be crowded. Long weekend. There is really no excuse.

ChickenMan
October 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
The Hens are going to be in for a big surprise... Also, how many yards had Flacco rushed for...? How will he respond when there's actually a rush put on him? This will be the Hens first real test and I hope they are up for it.....

If you think every QB needs to run around like Santos or Landers to be effective.. your football knowleged is sorely lacking. When you have a QB with an arm like Flacco and a RB like Cuff.. you let Flacco throw the ball and you let Cuff run the ball... xrolleyesx

PS.. maybe you missed it.. but when pressed to compare UMass and Delaware.. Towson coach Gordy combs stated that he would go with UD in that match up.

GannonFan
October 4th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Gannon, I usually love reading your posts..but how in the heck did you come up with this one?xnonono2x

Is Holloman healthy again??? That's the difference. If you want to call UD and JMU's receivers even, and Flacco and Landers are even, that leaves Cuff versus .... Noble??? No offense to Noble, he may be a very good player down the road, but the nod goes to Cuff in that case.

GannonFan
October 4th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller..?

Should be a great game. It will be great weather. The summer people are gone so all the great restaurants along the coast will not be crowded. Long weekend. There is really no excuse.

I'm not going, but plenty of UD fans have said they are going (GoHens board is a good place to check). I think UD fans travel pretty well, especially compared with the rest of the FCS world, so I'm sure you'll see more than a few people wearing blue and yellow up there.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 4th, 2007, 12:28 PM
If you think every QB needs to run around like Santos or Landers to be effective.. your football knowleged is sorely lacking. When you have a QB with an arm like Flacco and a RB like Cuff.. you let Flacco throw the ball and you let Cuff run the ball... xrolleyesx

PS.. maybe you missed it.. but when pressed to compare UMass and Delaware.. Towson coach Gordy combs stated that he would go with UD in that match up.

The southern division sticking together...what a surprise.

ChickenMan
October 4th, 2007, 12:30 PM
[/B]

The southern division sticking together...what a surprise.

That was WEAK... :p

DB_Atlantic10
October 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Is Holloman healthy again??? That's the difference. If you want to call UD and JMU's receivers even, and Flacco and Landers are even, that leaves Cuff versus .... Noble??? No offense to Noble, he may be a very good player down the road, but the nod goes to Cuff in that case. OK....xcoffeex Noble didn't ever come to mind when I replied to this....

WrenFGun
October 4th, 2007, 12:35 PM
(Shocked to see some people agreeing with him...)

I just think the analysis Delaware is offering is based on playing a cupcake schedule. We'll see what happens against a real team.

ChickenMan
October 4th, 2007, 12:41 PM

I just think the analysis Delaware is offering is based on playing a cupcake schedule. We'll see what happens against a real team.

UNH barely won last year vs the worst defensive team in UD modern history and the defense Santos is going to see this Saturday is nothing like the inept group he saw last year. Based on what I've seen of both teams so far this year.. if they can avoid turnovers.. I like UD's chances.. a lot.

GannonFan
October 4th, 2007, 12:42 PM

When you return 10 starters on offense, you can also base it a little bit on who those players were before the cupcake schedule.

DB_Atlantic10
October 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Nope, I heard it with my own ears....but that has nothing to do with UDel vs UNH this weekend. I'm not even saying that the Hens will lose, but to compare your previous opponents and their stats to the one's UNH has played , would really set you up to get whipped.

If you want to talk stats... Total Offense

1. Ricky Santos........ UNH SR 4 124 1160 193 1284 321.0
4. Rodney Landers...... JMU JR 5 439 927 176 1366 273.2
5. Joe Flacco.......... DELA SR 5 21 1333 146 1354 270.8

Passing Efficiency

1. Joe Flacco.......... DELA SR 5 136 98 2 72.1 1333 6 166.0
2. Rodney Landers...... JMU JR 5 99 70 2 70.7 927 6 165.3
5. Ricky Santos........ UNH SR 4 149 106 2 71.1 1160 8 151.6

So the question is, what's Flacco going to do when that pocket caves in....the stats for these guys are relatively even with the exception of rushing. They are all pretty accurate...but Santos has definitely played against the stiffest competition....

P.S. Landers doesn't run around....he just plain runs...just as straight ahead and fast as Cuff

GannonFan
October 4th, 2007, 01:03 PM
So the question is, what's Flacco going to do when that pocket caves in....the stats for these guys are relatively even with the exception of rushing. They are all pretty accurate...but Santos has definitely played against the stiffest competition....

P.S. Landers doesn't run around....he just plain runs...just as straight ahead and fast as Cuff

Why is the pocket going to cave in? Has UNH become a sack happy team? Last year Flacco went back to pass 45 times and was only sacked twice. This year UNH sports a pass defense that ranks 111th in all of FCS (i.e. not very good) and they've face two teams in Richmond and JMU that are very run heavy. And UNH only ranks 83rd in sacks by so it's not like they are really pressuring the QB either. No need for the QB to run when the defense isn't getting to him. xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
October 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM
What I think you feel to consider is the difference of playing Delaware at home this season. Is it possible that Delaware played better since they were at home last season? If you're going to acknowledge the improved defensive play from last season to this season, you also best take into account the different venue. UNH hasn't played as well as they did last season, but I'm not sure there is definitive evidence that they are a worse team (there is, of course, evidence that they had a much tougher schedule). I can't help but think you're only taking into consideration things that make Delaware MORE likely to win this game.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 4th, 2007, 01:15 PM
This game is at Villanova.

Oops, sorry. Make that 'Nova 45-14 xsmiley_wix

footballfan11
October 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM
To correct...

North
#12 Hofstra 1-0, 4-0
Northeastern 0-1, 1-3
Maine 0-2, 1-3
Rhode Island 0-2, 1-4
South
#11 Delaware 3-0, 5-0
#17 Richmond 2-0, 3-1
Villanova 1-1, 3-2
William & Mary 1-1, 3-2
Towson 0-3, 2-3

Week Five Schedule

State your predictions!

#11 Delaware 42 #15 New Hampshire 45
#17 Richmond 38 Towson #9 James Madison at Northeastern - 12:30 PM

footballfan11
October 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM
To correct...

North
#12 Hofstra 1-0, 4-0
Northeastern 0-1, 1-3
Maine 0-2, 1-3
Rhode Island 0-2, 1-4
South
#11 Delaware 3-0, 5-0
#17 Richmond 2-0, 3-1
Villanova 1-1, 3-2
William & Mary 1-1, 3-2
Towson 0-3, 2-3

Week Five Schedule

State your predictions!

#17 Richmond 38 Towson 14
#9 James Madison42 Northeastern 17
Maine 10 #12 Hofstra 28
William & Mary 28 Villanova 21

DB_Atlantic10
October 4th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Why is the pocket going to cave in? Has UNH become a sack happy team? Last year Flacco went back to pass 45 times and was only sacked twice. This year UNH sports a pass defense that ranks 111th in all of FCS (i.e. not very good) and they've face two teams in Richmond and JMU that are very run heavy. And UNH only ranks 83rd in sacks by so it's not like they are really pressuring the QB either. No need for the QB to run when the defense isn't getting to him. xthumbsupx

Yes, but UNH is backed into a corner right now...and even a wee little Snoopy will bite when backed into a corner. xeekx

blukeys
October 4th, 2007, 01:35 PM
What I think you feel to consider is the difference of playing Delaware at home this season. Is it possible that Delaware played better since they were at home last season? If you're going to acknowledge the improved defensive play from last season to this season, you also best take into account the different venue. UNH hasn't played as well as they did last season, but I'm not sure there is definitive evidence that they are a worse team (there is, of course, evidence that they had a much tougher schedule). I can't help but think you're only taking into consideration things that make Delaware MORE likely to win this game.

In this series the visiting team has won the last 5 times.

GannonFan
October 4th, 2007, 01:44 PM

In this series the visiting team has won the last 5 times.

Gosh darnut, another one in UD's favor!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

DB_Atlantic10
October 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM
In this series the visiting team has won the last 5 times. This maybe it should be #11 New Del vs #15 Hampsware...

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Gosh darnut, another one in UD's favor!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

No, that just means the home team is due!!

Jaxhen
October 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM
This is a crazy analysis....UNH has played JMU, Marshall and Richmond with their stats (on the road)...the Hens have played W&M, West Chester and Monmouth...How can you even make this kind of comparison....you can let let Towson and Darthmouth cancel each other out....The Hens are going to be in for a big surprise... Also, how many yards had Flacco rushed for...? How will he respond when there's actually a rush put on him? This will be the Hens first real test and I hope they are up for it.....

You guys are bullies...pounding in weaklings and bragging about it...xnonono2x

Yes, UNH has played the tougher schedule, but UD has played three CAA teams, two on the road, and defeated them all soundly. Even though these three CAA teams may not be at the upper echelon of the CAA, I don't think any CAA team can be considered a cup cake. Honestly, we don't know how good a lot of the teams are right now. Personally, I think W&M is better than Villanova even though not many people are picking W&M in this game. We really don't even know for sure how good Richmond is. They lost to the FBS team they played and then soundly beat Northeastern and Bucknell, two teams that are not that strong. We are all assuming that Richmond is very strong based on their win against UNH, but we really don't know for sure at this time. We should have a clearer picture of the relative strength of some of these teams after this weekend.

redspider
October 5th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Okay after a perfect week picking here are my picks:

Delaware at UNH -I think this is gonna be the best CAA game this week. I saw UNH last week and despite ther two loses they are a good team. Unfortunately I just feel that Delaware will be too much for them.

Richmond at Townson- I know that Townson is better than there record would reflect and that they have been plauged by injuries. But I had said earlier on in the year that they were still overated. Even though the Spiders are on the road I think we still win this one momentum is on our side and Townson has been reeling. If we win this one we should lock uo at least 3rd place in the South.

JMU at Northeastern- Come on Northeastern ? This will be a blow out JMU is just to good.

Maine at Hofstra - I think Maine is a good team but Hofstra is just too good for them and they are at home. This will be a HU victory.

W&M at Villanova- Wow this is a toss up game for me. I think that W&M is better than most think. However Villanova has not had any bad loses. I think that the home field advantage will give Nova the win.

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Towson 24 Ritchmond 17
Stop the RB, stop the Spiders.

Punchykky
October 5th, 2007, 01:36 PM
#17 Richmond 38 Towson 14
#9 James Madison42 Northeastern 17
Maine 10 #12 Hofstra 28
William & Mary 28 Villanova 21

UNH 17 UD 14
UR 21 TU 17
JMU 38 Northeastern 14
UM 14 Hofstra 41
W&M 24 Vill 28

GannonFan
October 5th, 2007, 02:00 PM
UNH 17 UD 14
UR 21 TU 17
JMU 38 Northeastern 14
UM 14 Hofstra 41
W&M 24 Vill 28

Wow, an over/under of 31 for the UD/UNH game - if that was a real line you'd be the only person going with the under.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Wow, an over/under of 31 for the UD/UNH game - if that was a real line you'd be the only person going with the under.

I think he's giving you a first quarter score.

Tribe4SF
October 5th, 2007, 02:21 PM
W&M at Villanova- Wow this is a toss up game for me. I think that W&M is better than most think. However Villanova has not had any bad loses. I think that the home field advantage will give Nova the win.

Last week to JMU was certainly not a good loss. Aside from 53-yard scoring drive against JMU reserves late in the 4th, The Wildcats had less than 150 of total offense.

UncleSam
October 5th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I expect W&M to whip Nova, maybe easily.

JMU2004
October 5th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Last week to JMU was certainly not a good loss. Aside from 53-yard scoring drive against JMU reserves late in the 4th, The Wildcats had less than 150 of total offense.

Unless W&M has sprouted a D, the VU QB should have a great day. Should be a high scoring game!

KAUMASS
October 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM
UNH 17 UD 14
UR 21 TU 17
JMU 38 Northeastern 14
UM 14 Hofstra 41
W&M 24 Vill 28

Sick video, but I found myself watching it a few times....The Spartan actually gets another shot in while the guy is in the air on the way down!!

With all the predictions of a high scoring game for UD/UNH, I thought it would be interesting if it was a defensive low scoring game.

If your predection is right, I think you will be the only one who predicted it.xthumbsupx

Dukie95
October 5th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Unless W&M has sprouted a D, the VU QB should have a great day. Should be a high scoring game!

I don't know. I don't think I recall the VU QB completing a single pass (the box score says he did, but I don't trust it ;)). If you can stop his running game (which is a challenge), you stop VU.

He's like Michael Vick...all run, no shoot.

I think W&M takes this one.

mcveyrl
October 5th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Sick video, but I found myself watching it a few times....The Spartan actually gets another shot in while the guy is in the air on the way down!!

With all the predictions of a high scoring game for UD/UNH, I thought it would be interesting if it was a defensive low scoring game.

If your predection is right, I think you will be the only one who predicted it.xthumbsupx

If that prediction is right, we should go ahead and plan the memorial services for Flacco and Santos, because they will obviously have passed.

GeeWiz
October 5th, 2007, 06:33 PM
UNH 49 Delaware 42 - A shootout in at the OK Corral called Durham. I just think UNH at home is the difference.
James Madison 31 Northeastern 21 - If Hager lets Sperazza play at QB we have a chance to make this a game, but if Orio plays the whole game we'll lose soundly.
Richmond 34 Towson 14- The Spiders are on some roll as the Tigers have no answer for Tim Hightower.
Hofstra 27 Maine 21- I think the Dirty Cubs make this a close game but find a way to lose.
Villanova 31 W&M 27- Wildcats and Antwon Young pull out a close win.

spdram
October 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM
71 I hope all of the coaches reviewing film on Richmond think the same way you do, the Spiders are developing a good passing offense also -- I'm more concerned about the injuries we have suffered.

rcny46
October 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Towson 24 Ritchmond 17
Stop the RB, stop the Spiders.

Don't you Townson fans know that Ritchmond is spelled without a T ? :D

RadMann
October 6th, 2007, 12:17 AM
UNH 27 UD 28
UR 28 TU 21
JMU 24 Northeastern 27
UM 31 Hofstra 30
W&M 30 Vill 27

BDKJMU
October 6th, 2007, 02:22 AM
UNH 27 UD 28
UR 28 TU 21
JMU 24 Northeastern 27
UM 31 Hofstra 30
W&M 30 Vill 27

xeekx xeekx xeekx

ccd494
October 6th, 2007, 10:27 AM
xeekx xeekx xeekx

I dunno, I was more shocked that he had Maine over Hofstra.

I was even MORE shocked that he had Maine scoring 31 points.

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Final prediction before I roll over to the JMU game up here at Northeastern...

Since I was out in Boston last night and their punter was *****housed and some defensive lineman was stumbling around at 3 am on the streets of Boston, I think JMU wins this in a thorough route :)