PDA

View Full Version : Booing at games

woffordgrad94
October 2nd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Does anyone think it is EVER justifiable to boo your own team at games? I think it's stupid to do so. I get so tired of seeing Carolina Panthers fans boo, as well as fans at baseball games and yes, college football games. Is there anyone out there who boos their own team? If you do, you should be ashamed, and you should stop and take a good hard look at yourself. Your team needs your support the most when things aren't going well for them. Booing is never justifiable.

footballer23
October 2nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
Does anyone think it is EVER justifiable to boo your own team at games? I think it's stupid to do so. I get so tired of seeing Carolina Panthers fans boo, as well as fans at baseball games and yes, college football games. Is there anyone out there who boos their own team? If you do, you should be ashamed, and you should stop and take a good hard look at yourself. Your team needs your support the most when things aren't going well for them. Booing is never justifiable.

There may be some New York Mets fans that beg to differ...

woffordgrad94
October 2nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Well, did all that stupid-ass booing help the Mets get into the playoffs? NO!

blueballs
October 2nd, 2007, 06:52 PM
If somebody is not hustling and/or dogging it, absolutely; otherwise in amateur sports no.

In professional sports feel free to boo. As a lifelong Braves fan I made the trip to Atlanta the year after Glavine signed with the Mets for the express purpose of getting seats right behind home plate and letting the money grubber have it. Did he care? No, but it made me feel better.

ASU88
October 2nd, 2007, 06:57 PM
What if there's a player named "Boo" on your team?

woffordgrad94
October 2nd, 2007, 07:03 PM
You win that one, ASU 88. If you have a "Boo" on your team, then I guess going BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! when he makes a good play is acceptable. But you shouldn't boo Boo if he makes a mistake.

ASU88
October 2nd, 2007, 07:07 PM
You win that one, ASU 88. If you have a "Boo" on your team, then I guess going BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! when he makes a good play is acceptable. But you shouldn't boo Boo if he makes a mistake.
No booing Boo if he makes a boo boo?
xlolx

LehighFan11
October 2nd, 2007, 07:08 PM
I don't think it is right to boo at a college game but in the NFL go right ahead. I have went to a few Eagles games and that is all they do.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 2nd, 2007, 07:12 PM
I've got a problem with booing kids.

UNHWildCats
October 2nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
if you cant boo your own team what reason do Northern Colorado fans have to go to games:p

UNHWildCats
October 2nd, 2007, 07:26 PM
I don't think it is right to boo at a college game but in the NFL go right ahead. I have went to a few Eagles games and that is all they do.

in between the cursing

DuckDuckGriz
October 2nd, 2007, 07:28 PM
I don't think it's ever acceptable. I feel like you're going out of your way to put some people down that are working their @$$ off. Griz fans have been guilty before, I'll be the first to say it - and it drives me f-ing nuts. Yeah people will say their booing the coaches, but booing is booing, and in my opinion it's never acceptable.

ASU88
October 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
In general I agree, but some of the things those "kids" do on the field deserve booing. I imagine they get it from watching the pros, but it's still no excuse. Best examples I can give:

- Making a big hit after the opponent catches a pass for a first down and being extremely happy about it.

- When a reciever on a team getting killed gets up and gives the "first down" sign after catching a ball.

- When a player catches or runs for a TD and celebrates, even though his team is losing badly.

walliver
October 2nd, 2007, 07:52 PM
In general I agree, but some of the things those "kids" do on the field deserve booing. I imagine they get it from watching the pros, but it's still no excuse. Best examples I can give:

- Making a big hit after the opponent catches a pass for a first down and being extremely happy about it.

- When a reciever on a team getting killed gets up and gives the "first down" sign after catching a ball.

- When a player catches or runs for a TD and celebrates, even though his team is losing badly.
Is it OK for a receiver on a team that's winning easily to give the first down sign?

Is it OK for player whose team is winning easily scores a TD and celebrates?

slycat
October 2nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
i booed when our team took "the knee". but that was well deserved.

SFA 71
October 2nd, 2007, 07:57 PM

Amen!xthumbsupx

Grizzaholic
October 2nd, 2007, 07:58 PM
The guys in zebra stripes don't count as your team, do they?

AppGirl
October 2nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
I don't boo any team. I go to cheer for my team, and give them support when they're down. I don't boo the other team, either. I'm there to build up my team, not try to put down the other team. I HAVE been known to boo and shout at ref's for making bad calls. I have tried to instill these habits in my sons, too.

I got frustrated at the Wofford game when the fans near us were being negative the whole game. Especially since it seemed to rub off on my son. At one point in the 3rd quarter, he said that the game was over. I told him not to give up. I just about lost my voice yelling in the second half, but I was yelling positive things. Don't give up, shake it off, you can still do this! I'm a huge fan, but I also try to show good sportsmanship.

Seawolf97
October 2nd, 2007, 08:09 PM
I don't boo any team. I go to cheer for my team, and give them support when they're down. I don't boo the other team, either. I'm there to build up my team, not try to put down the other team. I HAVE been known to boo and shout at ref's for making bad calls. I have tried to instill these habits in my sons, too.

I got frustrated at the Wofford game when the fans near us were being negative the whole game. Especially since it seemed to rub off on my son. At one point in the 3rd quarter, he said that the game was over. I told him not to give up. I just about lost my voice yelling in the second half, but I was yelling positive things. Don't give up, shake it off, you can still do this! I'm a huge fan, but I also try to show good sportsmanship.

Great statement xthumbsupx

MACHIAVELLI
October 2nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Does anyone think it is EVER justifiable to boo your own team at games?

If you applaud when you are happy with whats going on, you have the right to express your displeasure when it is not.

ASU88
October 2nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
Is it OK for a receiver on a team that's winning easily to give the first down sign?

Is it OK for player whose team is winning easily scores a TD and celebrates?

I don't like to see it at all, but it bothers me more when a player's team is losing. For them to celebrate a play when the team is losing says a whole lot to me about that player's priorities as far as Individual vs. team player.

Cobblestone
October 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
I don't boo the URI players just the coach. With what he's getting paid compared to the number of wins he produces along with his stupid play calling... booing is the least I can do.

chattanoogamocs
October 2nd, 2007, 08:48 PM
The Mocs have been booed at the end of both home games this year...the fans are getting very frustrated (how frustrated? just drop by mocfans and read for a couple of minutes :))...I like to think they are just booing the coach and not the players.

Me personally, I don't boo.

...and I was raised to treat the other team and their fans with respect (even when they don't deserve it)...they are still guests in my "house" and I treat them the way I would hope they would treat me if I went to their stadium. But that's another thread. :)

TheValleyRaider
October 2nd, 2007, 08:55 PM
I rarely boo at games, and almost always it's at the refs. I've occasionally booed an opponent who in my mind is playing dirty or something like that. I've never booed my own teams, although I would feel justified doing so if I felt they were dogging it or something. Poor play isn't a reason to boo, but lack of effort is xtwocentsx

McNeese75
October 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
Never boo the kids, but those damn Zebras :D

ngineer
October 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM
I agree there should not be booing of one's own team in college sports. Those who do have no class. The pros --that's different if someone is dogging it, etc, with all the millions they're paid, they can stand it.

KNUTS
October 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Booing is a good indicator of intelligence. Not only does it get your point across but it also sets a good example for the kids. Plus it rolls off the tongue. Makes me want to follow the person around and boo them when ever they do something wrong. BOOOO you didn't use your blinker, BOOO you showed up late for work, BOOO you gave me the wrong change at Mcdonalds. There's no place for it in amateur athletics!

ngineer
October 2nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
I don't boo the URI players just the coach. With what he's getting paid compared to the number of wins he produces along with his stupid play calling... booing is the least I can do.

The question is, "how do the players know that?" Booing directed at the coach on the sideline is being heard by his players...

Franks Tanks
October 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
I only Boo at those stinkin refs, never college kids.

Peems
October 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM
The question is, "how do the players know that?" Booing directed at the coach on the sideline is being heard by his players...

Because they are not retarded.

Ivytalk
October 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Booing at Harvard is uncool and declasse...it will get you tossed out of the tailgate.xcoolx

I never "lost it" at a Harvard game, but I did yell at the D-line coach of my son's D-III school after he dropped the F-bomb on his own kids. I invited him to go back to Columbia whence he came. The kids cracked up; the Coach was stunned.:D

Franks Tanks
October 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Booing at Harvard is uncool and declasse...it will get you tossed out of the tailgate.xcoolx

I never "lost it" at a Harvard game, but I did yell at the D-line coach of my son's D-III school after he dropped the F-bomb on his own kids. I invited him to go back to Columbia whence he came. The kids cracked up; the Coach was stunned.:D

Wow, if that offended you, you are lucky your son didnt attend Lafayette. Both Frank Taviani and his mentor Billy Russo both somehow managed to include the F-bomb in almost every sentence. Legend has it that Billy Russo once dropped the F-bomb during a pre-game prayer, but this was neither confimred or denied.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
GSU students are known for questionable behavior (e.g. chants with expletives in them) but I can't ever remember (even during the VanGorder era) them booing their own team in the way that Michigan did at half time against App.

Oh get over it. That knee didn't cost you the game.

GeauxColonels
October 2nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Pro sports.....DEFINITELY.

College.....not so much.

Golden Eagle
October 2nd, 2007, 10:21 PM
Wow, if that offended you, you are lucky your son didnt attend Lafayette. Both Frank Taviani and his mentor Billy Russo both somehow managed to include the F-bomb in almost every sentence. Legend has it that Billy Russo once dropped the F-bomb during a pre-game prayer, but this was neither confimred or denied.

I guess in Division III the students aren't familiar with profanity.

katstrapper
October 2nd, 2007, 10:22 PM

ONLY IF IT IS HALLOWEEN!!!xthumbsupx

Mountaineer#96
October 2nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
At the Panther game last weekend everyone was booing that performance. I mean come on you got people paying $50 - $360 per ticket and four hours out of thier Sunday to watch professionals act like they didn't care. I was one of those booing the Panthers at the end of the 3rd Quarter down 17-0 on second and 20 running the football!!!! WTF, I paid $500 to take my family to watch. I am going to boo!!! It is hard to support that crap.

Death Dealer
October 2nd, 2007, 10:45 PM
I always try to remeber that these kids are not there for my entertainment alone. Most of them are never gonna see the inside of a professional locker room. They are out there giving their best for the love of the game and to earn a scholarship which for many of them is the only way they could afford to attend the school at which they play. They are fist and foremost students, that, come Sunday morning when I wake up in my bed, will be back in their dorm room getting ready for a week of classes and football practice. They don't need the memory of my boo's in their heads. Being a student athlete at institutions like Furman, Wofford, and The Citadel is hard enough without that sort of sh@t to deal with.

TheValleyRaider
October 2nd, 2007, 10:50 PM
I always try to remeber that these kids are not there for my entertainment alone. Most of them are never gonna see the inside of a professional locker room. They are out there giving their best for the love of the game and to earn a scholarship which for many of them is the only way they could afford to attend the school at which they play. They are fist and foremost students, that, come Sunday morning when I wake up in my bed, will be back in their dorm room getting ready for a week of classes and football practice. They don't need the memory of my boo's in their heads. Being a student athlete at institutions like Furman, Wofford, and The Citadel is hard enough without that sort of sh@t to deal with.

Agreed xnodx

It's why that while I wouldn't consider it the worst thing in the world to boo players on my favorite pro teams who aren't pulling their weight, I can't believe that Colgate's boys (and girls xnodx ) aren't giving it their all at every moment.

Cobblestone
October 3rd, 2007, 08:12 AM

Because I always make reference to Stowers when I make a negative comment or let out a boo.

ChickenMan
October 3rd, 2007, 08:17 AM
I have never booed players or coaches.. what little booing that I do engage in.. is reserved for poor officiating.

89Hen
October 3rd, 2007, 08:20 AM
I don't think it is right to boo at a college game
While I agree pro athletes are paid a lot of money, if a kid is on full scholarship to play sports, shouldn't he/she have to perform as expected?

89Hen
October 3rd, 2007, 08:21 AM
in between the cursing
xlolx No, they don't curse at Pats games. xrolleyesx

Franks Tanks
October 3rd, 2007, 08:22 AM
At the Panther game last weekend everyone was booing that performance. I mean come on you got people paying $50 - $360 per ticket and four hours out of thier Sunday to watch professionals act like they didn't care. I was one of those booing the Panthers at the end of the 3rd Quarter down 17-0 on second and 20 running the football!!!! WTF, I paid $500 to take my family to watch. I am going to boo!!! It is hard to support that crap.

Its fine to Boo pro's. Its there job, they get paid well you have a right to at least expect a professional effort.

andy7171
October 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
Like ChickenMan, I only boo the refs at college football games. I yell "RUN THE F'ING BALL" a lot, but that's directed at one specific coach.

Now if it's an Orioles game, lets just say, it eases my pain.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 3rd, 2007, 08:58 AM
Its fine to Boo pro's. Its there job, they get paid well you have a right to at least expect a professional effort.

I agree, if they're cashing a check Boo away.

89Hen
October 3rd, 2007, 09:05 AM
I agree, if they're cashing a check Boo away.
You do realize that a full scholarship can be worth about $200,000 over 4-5 years.

BTW, I don't think I've ever booed a Hen player, I have booed playcalling.

813Jag
October 3rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
I don't boo, but sure make my feelings known about the other team (if they're a rival). xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 3rd, 2007, 09:29 AM
You do realize that a full scholarship can be worth about $200,000 over 4-5 years.

Yes, belive me I do.

WUTNDITWAA
October 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM

I would've booed too on that one, and I might still be booing. xoopsx

Death Dealer
October 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM

Still doesn't excuse being an @$$hole to a student. xnonono2x xtwocentsx

james_lawfirm
October 3rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
Like ChickenMan, I only boo the refs at college football games. I yell "RUN THE F'ING BALL" a lot, but that's directed at one specific coach.

Now if it's an Orioles game, lets just say, it eases my pain.

You yell "RUN THE F'ING BALL" at Orioles games? xeyebrowx ;)

GannonFan
October 3rd, 2007, 11:37 AM
If I think my team is not trying, then yes, I will boo. This isn't high school, this isn't non-scholarship football, and these aren't little kids anymore. These guys are getting a top notch college degree worth close to $200k, and college football even at the FCS level is big business. If it wasn't how come I'm paying $20 a seat to see the game? These aren't kids anymore - every one of them can vote, drive, be drafted, and many are old enough to drink. They are adults - young adults, but adults nonetheless. I don't ever boo someone who tries out there, even if they stink as long as they are putting out the effort. And I'll never boo an individual player (coaches, certainly, but not a player). I supposed if I didn't care I wouldn't boo, but I do so I do boo. I've played ball and been booed before - it's not the end of the world.

89Hen
October 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
if I didn't care I wouldn't boo, but I do so I do boo.
There's a country song in there somewhere. :p

andy7171
October 3rd, 2007, 11:52 AM
You yell "RUN THE F'ING BALL" at Orioles games? xeyebrowx ;)

Only in the latter innings, and after more than a couple Natty Bohs.

BEAR
October 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
This whole political correctness thing is just plain stupid. Booing isn't an insult to the player, it's a show of displeasure toward a play or series of plays or a team's overall performance or even the coaches or refs calls. Plus these are football players, they've heard the coaches call them worse things than "boo". xlolx

Seven Would Be Nice
October 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
I have never boo a player, or his efforts. Booing a COACH is something I am more familiar with, as well as xflaggedx for some BS call.

But that was last year, it's a new season, and there is no reason to boo our coach this year.

Death Dealer
October 3rd, 2007, 01:07 PM
This whole political correctness thing is just plain stupid. Booing isn't an insult to the player, it's a show of displeasure toward a play or series of plays or a team's overall performance or even the coaches or refs calls. Plus these are football players, they've heard the coaches call them worse things than "boo". xlolx
It has nothing to do with PC. Don't pull that tired old Conk standby on me! Anytime somebody wants to be an crass POS, they pull the old "don't be so PC" BS. It has everything to do with sportsmanship, something that should mean more to any good sportsman than whether or not they are being entertained. But then, I guess good sportsmanship has gone to he!! just like the rest of our society.

Go...gate
October 3rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
There may be some New York Mets fans that beg to differ...

The real Mets fans did not boo. They were terribly disappointed and hurt because of the team's arrogance and lack of professionalism. I know I am.

Go...gate
October 3rd, 2007, 02:11 PM

Amen.

Death Dealer
October 3rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
It has nothing to do with PC. Don't pull that tired old Conk standby on me! Anytime somebody wants to be an crass POS, they pull the old "don't be so PC" BS. It has everything to do with sportsmanship, something that should mean more to any good sportsman than whether or not they are being entertained. But then, I guess good sportsmanship has gone to he!! just like the rest of our society.Besides, what a puss @$$ thing to do. You want to criticize the kid or coach for the job he's doing? Go see him after the game and boo him to his face. I bet a lot fewer of you have the balls to do that. Easy to be a big man booing a bunch of kids from the safety of the stands. You come to my place of work and start booing me, I'm gonna take your @$$ outside and kick it for you.xnodx

GannonFan
October 3rd, 2007, 03:11 PM
Besides, what a puss @$$ thing to do. You want to criticize the kid or coach for the job he's doing? Go see him after the game and boo him to his face. I bet a lot fewer of you have the balls to do that. Easy to be a big man booing a bunch of kids from the safety of the stands. You come to my place of work and start booing me, I'm gonna take your @$$ outside and kick it for you.xnodx

People pay to see you work????? Yikes!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Death Dealer
October 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM

Oh yeah, they pay a lot!xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xcoolx :p

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
I'm not one for the booing of the college athletes. The reason is fairly simple-I NEVER had the kind of talent that these kids possess. I'd feel kind of silly telling Michael Jordan how to play basketball so the same applies here. If you are or were that talented and never made any mistakes on the field then you should boo away. As far as paying for a ticket to go and view the game I understand going in that there is a very likely chance that relatively young adults will be making mistakes when I purchase said ticket but I do so of my own volition and am rarely surprised when I get there and some mistakes are made. I have a hard time booing the coaches as well for the same reason. I have sat at many Griz games and watched as Jim the Janitor at the local high school tells everyone how stupid this or that call was. All I can think to myself is "Jim, why are you wasting your life with a broom in your hand? Put it down and pick up a clipboard, my man." Now if I was sitting there next to Bill Parcels (I don't he's a few rows behind me at the Griz games), and he were to start yelling at the coaches I would look at him and think "this man may have some validity to his critical tirade!" I just can't do it because I couldn't do it better than those that are doing it, so I try not to act as if I'm above it all.

BEAR
October 3rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
It has nothing to do with PC. Don't pull that tired old Conk standby on me! Anytime somebody wants to be an crass POS, they pull the old "don't be so PC" BS. It has everything to do with sportsmanship, something that should mean more to any good sportsman than whether or not they are being entertained. But then, I guess good sportsmanship has gone to he!! just like the rest of our society.

PC is dead in my book. Plus isn't booing the opposite of cheering? No one mentioned picking out individuals to boo at. Are fans supposed to sit in the stands with hands gently folded unless they golf clap and cheer for their team in a pleasant tone of voice? Not likely. I will scream, sing, yell, chant, cheer, praise, and boo with the thousand others doing it too at football games. Why? Because it's what you do at football games when you like or dislike some event that is happening on the field. Unlike your post, I don't make it personal at football games. xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
PC is dead in my book. Plus isn't booing the opposite of cheering? No one mentioned picking out individuals to boo at. Are fans supposed to sit in the stands with hands gently folded unless they golf clap and cheer for their team in a pleasant tone of voice? Not likely. I will scream, sing, yell, chant, cheer, praise, and boo with the thousand others doing it too at football games. Why? Because it's what you do at football games when you like or dislike some event that is happening on the field. Unlike your post, I don't make it personal at football games. xthumbsupx

Yes it's called being a low class dick head and plenty of people do it. Now that's making it personal.

brownbear
October 3rd, 2007, 10:33 PM

It's not about booing in general. I and hopefully everyone else should see no problem in booing the referees or booing the other team when they come out onto the field. It's an amazing effect when thousands of fans simultaneously boo the refs for a bad call, and that's part of the game atmosphere. The question was whether you boo YOUR team. I say you should always be supportive of your team. Yelling and screaming is great, and you should do it in a positive way towards your team (or against the other team), but to scream and yell at your own players for screwing up is wrong.

KNUTS
October 4th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Are fans supposed to sit in the stands with hands gently folded unless they golf clap and cheer for their team in a pleasant tone of voice? Why do I read posts like this and want to throw my PC through the wall!? Congratulations for being an idiot.

EmeryZach
October 4th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I think booing your own team is bullsh^t. I think booing the other team is awesome.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Why do I read posts like this and want to throw my PC through the wall!? Congratulations for being an idiot.

KNUTS, I believe that is an anger management issue that you should talk to Dr. VodkaRedbull about.

KNUTS
October 4th, 2007, 12:26 AM
KNUTS, I believe that is an anger management issue that you should talk to Dr. VodkaRedbull about.

Well I certainly don't need a second opinion on that... On second thought maybe I should see Specialist CrownRoyal! After that Cub loss I will be seeing both of them SOON!xbawlingx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Well I certainly don't need a second opinion on that... On second thought maybe I should see Specialist CrownRoyal! After that Cub loss I will be seeing both of them SOON!xbawlingx

OK that explains it a little better. What happened did Steve Bartman show up again?

CamelCityAppFan
October 4th, 2007, 06:58 AM
In general, I think booing your own team is pretty classless, and booing the other team is not much better (especially if your team is beating the crap out of the other team).

But there are exceptions to the rule:

(1) At the ASU-Montana State game last year, one of the MSU receivers (forget who was) started talking smack during warmups to the ASU student section. The ASU students showered him with boos and insults the entire game. It was really pretty funny, and deserved-- he brought it on himself. And no disrespect to Montana State-- they played a hell of a game, and the MSU fans I met who made the trip were really cool!

(2) At the infamous ASU - University of North Carolina basketball game in Boone (the first game in the new facility), late in the game, Carolina's up by double digits. Something happened that UNC coach Matt Dougherty didn't like, and he ran on to the floor screaming that he wanted a technical foul called on ASU. C'mon. You are comfortably beating a team you are supposed to comfortably beat, on the road, and you pull a craptacular stunt like that? The resulting shower of boos was well-deserved for that one.

So to recap: booing in general, not so good. Booing when a player or coach does something deliberate and asinine, absolutely.

89Hen
October 4th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Besides, what a puss @$$ thing to do. You want to criticize the kid or coach for the job he's doing? Go see him after the game and boo him to his face. I bet a lot fewer of you have the balls to do that. Easy to be a big man booing a bunch of kids from the safety of the stands. You come to my place of work and start booing me, I'm gonna take your @$$ outside and kick it for you.xnodx
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

I will remember to refrain from cheering during the game from the safe confines of the stands and express my appreciation after the game in person. I will also have to remember to video tape my encounters with players and/or coaches so I can't be accused of stalking. xcoffeex

Catsfan2
October 4th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Agreed I don't boo the players, but the refs for bad calls (especially when they miss obvious holds and personal fouls, or call ticky-tacky pass interference. I will also boo play selection (for example, punting on 4th & very short fairly deep in opponent's territory).

Death Dealer
October 4th, 2007, 09:50 AM
PC has never been alive in my book. The entire concept of PC is a joke. But I'll tell you what is apparently dead in your neck of the woods, and that is the concept of "character" and "good sportsmanship". I leave every FU game barely able to make more than a whisper because I have yelled my balls off the entire game, but what I yell is support for my team. Do I give the refs grief if I think they make a bad call? You betcha, but I don't pull some weak whiny @$$ booing crap.

No you shouldn't sit calmly with your hands folded! This ain't wimbledon! But you also don't have to be an @$$hole.xcoolx xnonox You need to figure out that it isn't all about you and your pleasure or displeasure with "events" at the game.

We clearly disagree about what constitutes good sportsmanlike behavior. If I had booed at a game, my dad would have quickly smacked me in the back of the head and told my to show a little character. I was raised that you cheer for your team and against the other team. You can hate the other team, cheer when they ****** up, talk good natured smack to each other, but only classless redneck trash boos. xnonono2x

I know I might be the minority opinion on this matter, but the world has always had an abundance of @$$holes, so I'm not suprised.xwhistlex xcoffeex

proasu89
October 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM

You've seen Faces of Death haven't youxeekx

Death Dealer
October 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

I will remember to refrain from cheering during the game from the safe confines of the stands and express my appreciation after the game in person. I will also have to remember to video tape my encounters with players and/or coaches so I can't be accused of stalking. xcoffeex
Oh the ever popular use of ridiculous hyperbole to defend a bad position. Good call.xthumbsupx Come on 89, I expect better debate from you. Yes, cheering is acceptable. In fact, I think you'll see from my most recent post that I am a vociferous cheering fool. But, I was raised that if you had something to say to a man, you did it to his face, if possible. I feel that if you're gonna call a man out, you should be willing to do it within arms reach.xcoolx

GannonFan
October 4th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Oh the ever popular use of ridiculous hyperbole to defend a bad position. Good call.xthumbsupx Come on 89, I expect better debate from you. Yes, cheering is acceptable. In fact, I think you'll see from my most recent post that I am a vociferous cheering fool. But, I was raised that if you had something to say to a man, you did it to his face, if possible. I feel that if you're gonna call a man out, you should be willing to do it within arms reach.xcoolx

After every game do you go up to every referee that you ridiculed and inform each of them individually about their failings during the game? Or do you have such great seats at Furman that you are already within arms reach??? xrolleyesx

Death Dealer
October 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
After every game do you go up to every referee that you ridiculed and inform each of them individually about their failings during the game? Or do you have such great seats at Furman that you are already within arms reach??? xrolleyesxI said if I wanted to criticize a "man"! Those zebra SOB's don't qualify! Reading comprehension Gannon, reading comprehension!xreadx xlolx

Actually, no, I don't. You got me there. But that really isn't as big a deal for me. I will say that I don't like to hear other fans blaming every call on bad officiating. I'd hazard a guess that most calls are legit, so I think trying to blame a loss on officiating is another weak argument in my book. Blatantly bad calls are, of course, an exception. But I would argue that unless there is really good replay tape that shows that the call was bad, I would argue that the official on the field might have a better view of the situation than the guy sitting up in the stands. But, I must confess that when I argue against booing it pertains mostly to the teams on the field.

But again, the guy that boos and moans about every single call is as bad as the parent at the little league game who thinks his kid can do no wrong. They are ridiculous and extremely annoying.

lizrdgizrd
October 4th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Booing refs? xthumbsupx

Booing pros? xthumbsupx

Booing kids? xnonox

Boogs
October 4th, 2007, 10:14 AM

I boo all the time...at college and high school games. The time to be concerned is when the fans no longer care to even boo (coach Al Davis of the Raiders analogy).

I was at a Confirmation ceremony and I booed because I didn't care for the sermon. That was embarrassing for all involved but the action got results.

BlueHen86
October 4th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I boo all the time...at college and high school games. The time to be concerned is when the fans no longer care to even boo (coach Al Davis of the Raiders analogy).

I was at a Confirmation ceremony and I booed because I didn't care for the sermon. That was embarrassing for all involved but the action got results.

What results? You were condemned to hell?

lizrdgizrd
October 4th, 2007, 10:17 AM
That's just crass, Boogs. xnonono2x

GannonFan
October 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Booing refs? xthumbsupx

Booing pros? xthumbsupx

Booing kids? xnonox

Ahh, but when does one cease being a kid and when do they enter adulthood??? xreadx

lizrdgizrd
October 4th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Ahh, but when does one cease being a kid and when do they enter adulthood??? xreadx
When they're pros (for football anyway).

AppGirl
October 4th, 2007, 10:54 AM

agreedxthumbsupx

AppGirl
October 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM
It's not about booing in general. I and hopefully everyone else should see no problem in booing the referees or booing the other team when they come out onto the field. It's an amazing effect when thousands of fans simultaneously boo the refs for a bad call, and that's part of the game atmosphere. The question was whether you boo YOUR team. I say you should always be supportive of your team. Yelling and screaming is great, and you should do it in a positive way towards your team (or against the other team), but to scream and yell at your own players for screwing up is wrong.

I'm half with you there. I've booed plenty of refs in my time, but I never have and never will boo any team, any time, any where, for just taking the field. I just don't think it's good sportsmanship. Support your own team without tearing down the other one.

ncbears
October 4th, 2007, 01:01 PM

I hope you're kidding.

Go...gate
October 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Holy Sh-t, you did WHAT???? xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

89Hen
October 4th, 2007, 02:25 PM
xlolx xthumbsupx xlolx xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 4th, 2007, 02:29 PM
It's not a bad position, it just goes against your opinion. xnonox Like I said before, I personally have never booed a player at a college football game (other than a cheap shot personal foul after the play) but I have no problem if somebody does. These players ARE paid, in many cases more than what the people in the stands are paid.

DOME
October 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Though I would never boo my team as a whole is it ok to yell "Get him the #@%! out of the game" ??

Say for instance a receiver let a well thrown pass bounce off of his face mask inside the five yard line to be intercepted?
Say above player then next time he is in the same game drops a kick off when nobody is w/in ten yards of him?

Death Dealer
October 4th, 2007, 04:09 PM
It's not a bad position, it just goes against your opinion. Like I said before, I personally have never booed a player at a college football game (other than a cheap shot personal foul after the play) but I have no problem if somebody does. These players ARE paid, in many cases more than what the people in the stands are paid.

89! When will you learn that all opinions contrary to my own are BAD!!!!xrolleyesx xcoolx xsmiley_wix :p

Grizaholic17
October 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM
As mentioned before, Griz fans are really bad at booing to their team! It is horrible. It is not right and undeservant to the players. However, our booing at the last game to a bad flag caused 3 consecutive penalties on the other team! So the crowd does have influence on the striped guys!

Boogs
October 4th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I was kidding. xcoffeex

flyenhigh
October 4th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Boo yes I boo

james_lawfirm
October 4th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I was kidding. xcoffeex

Whew! You had me worried. Now, say 25 Hail, Mary's and come back in the morning.

Boogs
October 5th, 2007, 05:03 AM
I don't recall booing lately. The closest I came was when I was in a company golf league. I would say "mmmmmmiss it!" when someone was putting.