PDA

View Full Version : Duquesne Announces Rooney Field Renovation

aceinthehole
October 2nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
Duquesne University Director of Athletics Greg Amodio announced today that the first phase of the renovation of Arthur J. Rooney Athletic Field will begin at the conclusion of this football season.

Plans call for the construction of permanent grandstand seating on the Bluff Street side of Rooney Field - replacing the temporary bleachers that have been installed for the past 14 football seasons. Permanent concession stands and restrooms will also be added to the south side of the field. The Academic Walk sideline will also gain additional seating.

In addition, the fieldhouse located at the east end of the field will be remodeled and expanded to provide an area for a new football locker room, football coaches suite and additional locker room space for the soccer, lacrosse and swim teams.

The renovation coincides with football program's adoption of a scholarship model and move to the Northeast Conference in 2008.

http://goduquesne.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100207aaa.html

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/duqu/sports/m-footbl/auto_wide/1414971.jpeg

Link for more pics: http://goduquesne.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100207aaa.html#

The Dukes will be a welcome addition to the NEC. xthumbsupx

danefan
October 2nd, 2007, 03:30 PM
i wonder what the capacity is there. either its really small or those model people are really big.

Franks Tanks
October 2nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
i wonder what the capacity is there. either its really small or those model people are really big.

I played there, its really small. Picture a small cramped Urban campus. Then take one of the few small quad areas and just put a football field right in the middle at random. One endzone is flanked by the Library and the other a dorm. There are actually pads against the wall so you dont run into it, just like an old school basketball gym. Then put up a few temporary bleachers with a 3 yard sideline and then some temporary bleachers. Its pathetic.

Franks Tanks
October 2nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
Also I forgot to add they have the distinction of having the two worst playing surfaces I have ever been on. They used to have the most terrible old school turf ever, it was the definition of painted concrete. It made Towson's old turf look spectacular. They then gout fieldturf and it was also the worst filed turf surface I have ever seen. It wasnt that low dense turf that Bucknell and Lafayette have, as that is the expensive stuff. They got the chaep junk and you just sink down into like 3 inches of rubber pellets, absolutely terrible.

downbythebeach
October 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
That picture or artist rendering or whatever is exactly the same as it looks right now!...

downbythebeach
October 2nd, 2007, 04:09 PM
the chaep junk and you just sink down into like 3 inches of rubber pellets, absolutely terrible.

I've played on stuff like that in college, but not at Duquesne...i think i ran about a 8 second 40 on that (two seconds slower than usual:D )

Franks Tanks
October 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
That picture or artist rendering or whatever is exactly the same as it looks right now!...

Your are right, there is no difference--they are basically building a locker room--which is much needed by the way

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
I saw the field a few years ago. This plan certainly seems to be an upgrade and facility improvement, though not on the scale of others we have seen recently. It is not as nice as Marist's new ballpark or the finished plan for the Georgetown Multi-Sport facility. Duquesne also does not have a large amount of real estate to work with.

rmutv
October 2nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Any renovations to Rooney Field are quality renovations. Glad to see the Dukes are doing something with it.

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Gotta say that with the addition to Duquesne to an already strong core, the NEC is really becoming a conference to be reckoned with. I hope the Patriot League is paying attention. xeekx

BobbyMo
October 2nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
I think Duquesne will be a GREAT addition to the NEC. I think they will be fighting to for the title every year. Glad to see they are improving their stadium.

Seahawks Fan
October 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
I think Duquesne will be a GREAT addition to the NEC. I think they will be fighting to for the title every year. Glad to see they are improving their stadium.

I agree Duquesne is an excellent addition. Bryant College may also be applying.

PeacockRaider
October 3rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
Also I forgot to add they have the distinction of having the two worst playing surfaces I have ever been on. They used to have the most terrible old school turf ever, it was the definition of painted concrete. It made Towson's old turf look spectacular. They then gout fieldturf and it was also the worst filed turf surface I have ever seen. It wasnt that low dense turf that Bucknell and Lafayette have, as that is the expensive stuff. They got the chaep junk and you just sink down into like 3 inches of rubber pellets, absolutely terrible.

I guess you never played on Canisius multi-use field, or Iona's field before the field turf, I believe my ACL is still laying there some where. Far worse than Duquesne.

As far as the stadium, glad to see they are improving what they have, which hasn't seem to effect the quality recruits and success they've had. Best of luck to the Dukes