PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth/Lehigh

ChickenMan
September 3rd, 2005, 01:06 PM
Monmouth 14 Lehigh... 10... 11:30 left in 1st half

breezy
September 3rd, 2005, 01:12 PM
Patriot League has stumbled out of the gate today.

Besides Monmouth's 14-10 lead over Lehigh, Central Connecticut has a 6-3 lead over Colgate. Both games are in the second quarter.

Sacred Heart took a quick 14-0 lead over Holy Cross but HC has scored 5 straight touchdowns to lead 35-14 with still 13 minutes left in the second quarter.

I still look for Lehigh and Colgate to prevail.

aceinthehole
September 3rd, 2005, 01:17 PM
Central Connecticut is up 15-3 over Colgate late in the 2nd Q!

kardplayer
September 3rd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Lehigh up 24-14 midway through 2nd.

Monmouth had a safety called back for a defensive holding call that would have given them a 16-10 lead. Instead, Lehigh got a deep pass to Walker and took a 17-10 lead a few plays later. After a Monmouth fumble, Lehigh scored a TD on a 1 play "drive".

umassfan
September 3rd, 2005, 01:39 PM
Dont sleep on CCSU... they have the former UMass D Coord and former BU head coach as their head coach. He has turned around that team quite a bit.

saint0917
September 3rd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Central Connecticut is up 15-3 over Colgate late in the 2nd Q!

At the half

CCSU-15
Colgate- 6

89Hen
September 3rd, 2005, 05:27 PM
A lot of points put up by LU, but a lot given up. What gives Hawkineers?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 3rd, 2005, 05:51 PM
A lot of points put up by LU, but a lot given up. What gives Hawkineers?

Monmouth scored 14 points in the first 7 or so minutes of the game. They have very good wr's and as well as a very good QB. Miles Austin their NFL prospect is legit, he's 6'3 230 and should be playing on Sunday's. I think the deffense played their typical bend but don't break pass D. They let Monmouth get yards but for the most part kept everything in front of them. They didn't blitz to much but eventually got a pass rush down as the game went on. I think most Lehigh fans are a little concerned with the pass D but they do usually give up yards so today wasn't a real suprise with Monmouths WR's. On offense Borda was awesome (6 TD passes) as well as Gerran Walker(over 300 total yards). Lehigh has a ton of WR weapons and a lot of team speed on O. They never really attempted to run although Rath did have a nice 17 yards TD run. I think they came out gunning to protect the OL from run blocking as well as trying to get their starters out ASAP although most played into the 4th quarter. AFter today's performance i think their bringing their best offense down to UD since '99. The D certaintly has some work to do, gaining a better push from the DL as well as a little better man coverage in the secondary. Should be a great game down in Newark. Lehigh has the horses without a doubt.

P.S- i wanna know how they count attendance at Lehigh. It was only listed at 8,000. If there was only 8,000 i have a bridge to sell someone too. The home side was full and there was about 2500-3k on the away side plus another 2,000 on the bank. If there wasn't 10k+ then i must be looking at a different game.

kardplayer
September 3rd, 2005, 06:57 PM
The defense didn't look great, but the Monmouth QB should get a lot of credit for that.
On one of the plays - I forget if it was for a TD or if it put them on the 1 just before they went in - he threw a perfect strike between 4 Lehigh defenders.

This was exactly what many predicted it would be - close until the Lehigh depth took over. At one point, I heard the announcer say Borda had hit 7 different receivers...

ngineer
September 3rd, 2005, 07:22 PM
Monmouth scored 14 points in the first 7 or so minutes of the game. They have very good wr's and as well as a very good QB. Miles Austin their NFL prospect is legit, he's 6'3 230 and should be playing on Sunday's. I think the deffense played their typical bend but don't break pass D. They let Monmouth get yards but for the most part kept everything in front of them. They didn't blitz to much but eventually got a pass rush down as the game went on. I think most Lehigh fans are a little concerned with the pass D but they do usually give up yards so today wasn't a real suprise with Monmouths WR's. On offense Borda was awesome (6 TD passes) as well as Gerran Walker(over 300 total yards). Lehigh has a ton of WR weapons and a lot of team speed on O. They never really attempted to run although Rath did have a nice 17 yards TD run. I think they came out gunning to protect the OL from run blocking as well as trying to get their starters out ASAP although most played into the 4th quarter. AFter today's performance i think their bringing their best offense down to UD since '99. The D certaintly has some work to do, gaining a better push from the DL as well as a little better man coverage in the secondary. Should be a great game down in Newark. Lehigh has the horses without a doubt.

P.S- i wanna know how they count attendance at Lehigh. It was only listed at 8,000. If there was only 8,000 i have a bridge to sell someone too. The home side was full and there was about 2500-3k on the away side plus another 2,000 on the bank. If there wasn't 10k+ then i must be looking at a different game.

Good question on the attendance. I don't know whether they count kids or just paid attendance. The home side was 90% full (cap.8000-with some room in the end stands, but there were about 2500 on the visitor side and another 1500 or so on the hill in the horseshoe.---so my estimate was about 10,000)

ngineer
September 3rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
I attended the game. A significant reason for all the yardage by Monmouth despite their great wr's and a very good QB, was Lehigh missing Andrew Nelson at left corner back. Nelson is a senior who started last year and is excellent cornerback. He pulled a quad in the scrimmage last Sat. and Pete said he was going to keep him out and not risk aggravating. The coaches of Monmouth obviously saw that Nelson's substitute--a soph with no varsity experience--was being too conservative in his coverage and continually threw in his direction. Miles burned him big time a couple of times--one for 66 yards.
Coaches also either kicked some butt at halftime or made some adjustments because in the second half they had a nice rush and really stuffed the run game.
Monmouth also played with 8 in the box making the run game very difficult and daring Lehigh to pass--which they did often. Borda, overall, was very good--22/33 with 6 TD and 1 INT for 344 yards. Made a bad read on one play that resulted in the INT and eventual second score for MU, but for the first game of season would give a B+. The WR's were dynamite. I thought it was nice that the first pass of the game went to Lee Thomas, who is from New Orleans, and whose family has lost everything. Thomas had several other catches and an TD. Garran Walker was electric. 157 yards on 7 receptions plus several KO returns of 35-50 yards. His total yards on the day must have been around 300.
The kicking game was good. New punter Mann averaged a NET 43.1 and Musiek was 2/2 on fg's but missed the last xpt hitting the upright. Had several nice KO's into endzone but some other questionable short kicks that were hard to figure out what the staff was trying to do on possible placement.
Overall, this was a better effort than last year's Stony Brook game, and I'm looking forward to one heck of a battle in NewArk next Saturday night.

MU Alum
September 4th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Well, I think Monmouth fans are overall disapointed with the outcome, just because we feel like we didnt take advantage of a good opportunity. Incredibly sloppy play in the second half just killed us and you cant make those mistakes when your playing a team as good as Lehigh. To begin the second half MU went three and out and had a bad snap to the punter which resulted in a blocked punt, then a personal foul on the punter which gave Lehigh the ball in the red zone. After a fast Lehigh score, Monmouth proceeded to snap the ball over the Qb's head on the next drive giving them a unreal 3-25 and terrible field position.
We were where we wanted to be after the 1st half, down 7 recieving in the second, but we just didnt show up for the second half, and Lehigh played great. Monmouth stopped the run well, without putting 8 in the box as the last poster stated, but could not stop the passing game due their talent and our blown coverages.

I think the major turning point in the game was the safety that got called back for DEFENSIVE HOLDING. This would have given MU a 16-7 lead and great field position with all the momentum goin. I thought there were some shakey calls in the first half and early in the second going against MU, the missed Lehigh field goal immediately followed by a roughing the kicker flag, very questionable. I wish Monmouth could get Lehigh to come to New Jersey now and play at their home field with NEC officials. Lehigh has a very impressive team though. I feel talent wise the gap is not much different with these two teams, it was execution that truly set these two teams apart in the second half. Congratulations to Lehigh.. Now can people please stop calling us NEC schools Division-III teams.

ngineer
September 4th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Well, I think Monmouth fans are overall disapointed with the outcome, just because we feel like we didnt take advantage of a good opportunity. Incredibly sloppy play in the second half just killed us and you cant make those mistakes when your playing a team as good as Lehigh. To begin the second half MU went three and out and had a bad snap to the punter which resulted in a blocked punt, then a personal foul on the punter which gave Lehigh the ball in the red zone. After a fast Lehigh score, Monmouth proceeded to snap the ball over the Qb's head on the next drive giving them a unreal 3-25 and terrible field position.
We were where we wanted to be after the 1st half, down 7 recieving in the second, but we just didnt show up for the second half, and Lehigh played great. Monmouth stopped the run well, without putting 8 in the box as the last poster stated, but could not stop the passing game due their talent and our blown coverages.

I think the major turning point in the game was the safety that got called back for DEFENSIVE HOLDING. This would have given MU a 16-7 lead and great field position with all the momentum goin. I thought there were some shakey calls in the first half and early in the second going against MU, the missed Lehigh field goal immediately followed by a roughing the kicker flag, very questionable. I wish Monmouth could get Lehigh to come to New Jersey now and play at their home field with NEC officials. Lehigh has a very impressive team though. I feel talent wise the gap is not much different with these two teams, it was execution that truly set these two teams apart in the second half. Congratulations to Lehigh.. Now can people please stop calling us NEC schools Division-III teams.

I agree that that was a big turning point, but the foul was so flagrant--Addonizzio virturally tackled Thomas the WR--it's hard to through to receivers when they're on the ground, hence the Borda eating the ball.
Your wideouts were as advertised. I suspect you will put up some some big numbers against the rest of the NEC. As for the fg, it was not "roughing' but running into the kicker that was called. Again, not questionable. The MU player knew right away he was guilty by the body language. If it had been called roughing, then I agree, that would have been questionable, but that wasn't the case.
Good luck, though I don't think you'll need much.

Go...gate
September 4th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Nice win Lehigh - I'm thinking that scholarships are beginning to make their impact on the NEC.

ngineer
September 4th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Nice win Lehigh - I'm thinking that scholarships are beginning to make their impact on the NEC.

Obviously. The level of talent has improved markedly. What is their 'scholarship' policy, since they're still considered "Mid-Major"? I note Lafayette had a ball game with Marist, too. No longer the cupcake.

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Obviously. The level of talent has improved markedly. What is their 'scholarship' policy, since they're still considered "Mid-Major"? I note Lafayette had a ball game with Marist, too. No longer the cupcake.

The NEC is allowed to give up to 15-30 grant-in-aids (similar to Patriot League but not sure of exact number) however I believe they can only be partials.

As for the MU/Lehigh game, there were definitely more than 8,000 fans (I was 1 of them). I am not at all disappointed in Monmouth. They got beat by a superior football team (the gap is closing but is still pretty wide). I didn't see the holding call as I was watching the qb. The running into the kicker was the right call (unless MU got a piece of the ball as the fg missed by a good 10 feet). I actually do not feel that depth lost Monmouth the game. It was superior team speed. That was the game right there!!! Monmouth didn't blow as many coverages as the above poster said. The receivers were just faster than MU's db's and Borda made perfect throws. I sat on the MU side and had 2 Lehigh guys behind me who were great to talk with. They were very complimentary of MU and had really nice things to say about the talent of the team. Good luck to Lehigh the rest of the way!!!

blukeys
September 4th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I think an Albany poster said they would be at about 30 equivalencies this year. It is obvious that some of the NEC teams are doing what is necessary to make their programs more competitive. It's good for I-AA football in the Northeast/MidAtlantic.

UAalum72
September 4th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I think an Albany poster said they would be at about 30 equivalencies this year.

Yes, since the policy began about the 2000 season, the NEC allows up to 30 counters (no more than 10 per year), which must be need-based, except that athletes on scholarship in another sport who also play football are counted toward the 30 max.

ngineer
September 4th, 2005, 10:36 PM
The NEC is allowed to give up to 15-30 grant-in-aids (similar to Patriot League but not sure of exact number) however I believe they can only be partials.

As for the MU/Lehigh game, there were definitely more than 8,000 fans (I was 1 of them). I am not at all disappointed in Monmouth. They got beat by a superior football team (the gap is closing but is still pretty wide). I didn't see the holding call as I was watching the qb. The running into the kicker was the right call (unless MU got a piece of the ball as the fg missed by a good 10 feet). I actually do not feel that depth lost Monmouth the game. It was superior team speed. That was the game right there!!! Monmouth didn't blow as many coverages as the above poster said. The receivers were just faster than MU's db's and Borda made perfect throws. I sat on the MU side and had 2 Lehigh guys behind me who were great to talk with. They were very complimentary of MU and had really nice things to say about the talent of the team. Good luck to Lehigh the rest of the way!!!

Likewise. Yes, speed on the outside is something Lehigh hasn't had in awhile. We've had some very good 'possesion' type receivers over the years, but not the deep threats we now have which make the db's give the cushion.
Lehigh and most PL's have about 50-55 'equivalencies' and most are not full rides. Majority are probably 1/3-2/3 packages based on need formulas.
I could definitely see the improvement in personnel. Did appear some of your big boys on defense were pooped in the second half which allowed Borda too much time. He is deadly accurate when he has time.
Barring injury, you guys should have a stellar season.

MU Alum
September 5th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I will agree that the speed of #9 was impressive for Lehigh, he is a player, but Monmouth expected Lehigh to make plays, and Monmouth new they could make plays on offense as well. The problem was MU came apart for 8 minutes in the 3rd and that was the game. I dont think talent wise, the gap is that big, execution is what won Lehigh the game. As for the defensive holding call, it was a home call, if you look at the way the game had been playing out, and the way both teams had been playing, the flag is questionable. I dont think Borda ate the ball as much as he was sacked from a blitz. Still Lehigh was impressive.

JMG1MON
September 5th, 2005, 05:04 PM
That is true, Borda did not eat the ball. It's not like he stood back there for 5 seconds and then said I'll just take the safety. Nunziato came in unblocked off the left edge.

kardplayer
September 5th, 2005, 10:09 PM
That is true, Borda did not eat the ball. It's not like he stood back there for 5 seconds and then said I'll just take the safety. Nunziato came in unblocked off the left edge.

Actually, Borda pumped the ball and brought it back down before the sack.

I know the game was close for the first half and the non-safety was a turning point, but lets not forget that in the end it was a 28 point win. One or two calls does not equal 4 TD's...

ngineer
September 5th, 2005, 10:42 PM
NCAA I-AA Total Offense POTW is...

Mark Borda, Lehigh vs. Monmouth, Senior, Quarterback
37 plays, 365 yards, 9.86 average per play, 6 TDs passing, 0 TDs rushing.

http://i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=565

Thanks for the heads up. Sort of ironic that Silva from Holy Cross is receiving the PL offensive player of the week with half the stats and same number of tds. :confused: I think Mark will have a few more opportunities as the season goes on. :)

ngineer
September 6th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Silva is a stud too!

Absolutely. Plus I just found out Silva only played a half, so his stats are more impressive than I originally read. As they say, stats mean nothing unless you know the story behind the numbers.