PDA

View Full Version : ULM Fans not smiling after loss to NWST

Retro
September 3rd, 2005, 11:06 AM
ARTICLE LINK (http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050903/SPORTS/509030350/1006&template=printart)

Article published Sep 3, 2005
ULM fans not smiling
Loss to I-AA opponent is just too much to take

By Paul J. Letlow
[email protected] Some Louisiana-Monroe fans are fed up with losing.
ULM's season-opening 27-23 loss to Division I-AA Northwestern State led several frustrated fans to send e-mails to The News-Star on Friday. The Indians — who haven't had a winning season since 1993 — led 23-0 at halftime Thursday night at Malone Stadium. But ULM allowed the Demons to score 27 unanswered points in the second half in a shocking meltdown for the home team.

A sampling of critiques from the mailbag: ...

blukeys
September 3rd, 2005, 11:10 AM
ARTICLE LINK (http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050903/SPORTS/509030350/1006&template=printart)

Article published Sep 3, 2005
ULM fans not smiling
Loss to I-AA opponent is just too much to take

By Paul J. Letlow
[email protected]

Mark my word, it's better to be one of the best 1-AA programs and have a chance to compete for a National Championship each year, than to get humiliated.....and for what... a big paycheck....and to be able to say...."Son, you'll get to play Auburn in front of 85,000 fans"? If myself and, trust me, thousands of fans, can see it.....Why can't ULM?"

Kind of says it all!! :) :)

Cocky
September 3rd, 2005, 01:06 PM
If I'm player wanting to play for a team in LA, I go to LSU first then I go to one in the following group:
McNeese
NW ST
SOuthern
Grambling

Notice LL,ULM, and La Tech are not in the group.

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2005, 04:54 PM
ULM should come back home to the SLC. They can't compete in any things from the football to the basketball. Might as well come back to our conference where they may be a middle of the pack squad...

Dallas Demon
September 8th, 2005, 05:12 PM
ULM should come back home to the SLC. They can't compete in any things from the football to the basketball. Might as well come back to our conference where they may be a middle of the pack squad...

ULM has had a major problem competing in ANY sport in the Southland in recent years.

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2005, 05:36 PM
And that's because they put all the $$$ into football and it hurts them across the board...

Mr. C
September 8th, 2005, 11:57 PM
And that's because they put all the $$$ into football and it hurts them across the board...
That is what happens at virtually every school that makes the move from I-AA to I-A. It hurts the other programs.

Keydet90
September 9th, 2005, 11:18 AM
What surprises me as a new LA resident and reading the sports pages following the ULM vs NSU game last week are two things:
#1 No one is acting as though NSU win was an upset. It's like it was taken for granted. I'll guarantee you in most other places I've lived I-AA beating I-A is big time newsworthy.
#2 There seems to be more anxiety about this upcoming NDSU game than there was about facing a I-A program - at least on the part of the sports writers covering the NSU Demons.

Why is this? Is ULM historically been that bad? Do the papers just not want to hype up the fact that a AA beat a I-A? Inquiring mind wants to know.

DP '90

Hansel
September 9th, 2005, 11:20 AM
What surprises me as a new LA resident and reading the sports pages following the ULM vs NSU game last week are two things:
#1 No one is acting as though NSU win was an upset. It's like it was taken for granted. I'll guarantee you in most other places I've lived I-AA beating I-A is big time newsworthy.
#2 There seems to be more anxiety about this upcoming NDSU game than there was about facing a I-A program - at least on the part of the sports writers covering the NSU Demons.

Why is this? Is ULM historically been that bad? Do the papers just not want to hype up the fact that a AA beat a I-A? Inquiring mind wants to know.

DP '90
I believe ULM has lot about 6 straight games to Southland teams, so I don't think the result was totally unexpected

Dallas Demon
September 9th, 2005, 01:10 PM

DP '90

It's definitely a big win for NSU, don't be mistaken. Anytime a I-AA beats a I-A it's a big deal. Particularly since ULM had 19 starters returning from a 5-6 club that is expected to challenge for the Sun Belt title and New Orleans Bowl.

Northwestern was quietly confident going into the ULM game. To dominate physically in the 2nd half was unexpected, as I-As typically have the advantage due to the 22 more scholarships as the game goes on. In the series going back through the years, Northwestern has dominated overall so winning is not unexpected against the Indians. Plus, as indicated, the Indians have lost 6 straight to the Southland (the last two to the Demons). Having said that, ULM is a good team this year and will win several games. Northwestern put on a powerful and dominating show in the 2nd half last week and that made the difference in that game.

kats89
September 9th, 2005, 02:44 PM
In 2001, Sam Houston beat ULM in Monroe and then beat UL-Lafayette in Lafayette. You would think ULM wouldn't schedule Southland schools anymore. Since North Texas left the Southland, they haven't played a Southland school. Geez, wonder why? :rolleyes:

arkstfan
September 9th, 2005, 04:22 PM
In 2001, Sam Houston beat ULM in Monroe and then beat UL-Lafayette in Lafayette. You would think ULM wouldn't schedule Southland schools anymore. Since North Texas left the Southland, they haven't played a Southland school. Geez, wonder why? :rolleyes:

9-7-2002 North Texas 23 Nichols State 0.

TxSt02
September 9th, 2005, 04:31 PM

We also beet ULM back in 2000... what a pathetic football program!

NSUDemon98
September 9th, 2005, 04:41 PM
"In 2001, Sam Houston beat ULM in Monroe and then beat UL-Lafayette in Lafayette. You would think ULM wouldn't schedule Southland schools anymore. Since North Texas left the Southland, they haven't played a Southland school. Geez, wonder why?"

According to the michigan historical scores site Sam Houston didn't play UL-L in 2001.

Dallas Demon
September 9th, 2005, 11:16 PM
"In 2001, Sam Houston beat ULM in Monroe and then beat UL-Lafayette in Lafayette. You would think ULM wouldn't schedule Southland schools anymore. Since North Texas left the Southland, they haven't played a Southland school. Geez, wonder why?"

According to the michigan historical scores site Sam Houston didn't play UL-L in 2001.

You're correct, Sam Houston's victory over ULL was in 2000. The Demons also beat ULL in 2000.

Cat79
September 10th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Texas State defeated ULM in 2000 by a score of 27-7 :) :deadhorse