PDA

View Full Version : USD's Josh Johnson wins two POTW awards (Sports Network & CSN)

GOTOREROS
October 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM
"(San Diego, CA) - Torero senior quarterback Josh Johnson (Oakland, CA), a 2007 Payton Watch candidate, was named a national player of the week by two media outlets today - The Sports Network and College Sporting News. Johnson also earned his third straight PFL Offensive Player of the Week honor after his outstanding performance this past weekend in the team's 56-9 win over Butler. For the game Johnson completed 25-of-30 passes for 406 yards and 6 touchdowns for an impressive 263.01 pass efficiency rating. He tacked on another 49 yards on four carries, including a 29-yard touchdown run. His 455 yards of total offense ranks third among all FCS players this season, and the PFL honor is his record 12th player of the week award. This week he shared the PFL honor with Brian Yost of Morehead State."

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100107aaa.html

USDFAN_55
October 1st, 2007, 05:55 PM
He is having a great seaon so far. I don't care what you say about his competition he plays against; anyone that completes 81% of his passes for 16 TDs and 0 INTs is awesomexnodx

slostang
October 1st, 2007, 06:11 PM
He is having a great seaon so far. I don't care what you say about his competition he plays against; anyone that completes 81% of his passes for 16 TDs and 0 INTs is awesomexnodx

No arguement here. Congrats to JJ on both a great game and season.

already123
October 1st, 2007, 10:58 PM
this guy is amazing

danefan
October 2nd, 2007, 08:23 AM
yeah....he's OK.xsmiley_wix

vaughtdj
October 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
you know, i took a look at the game stats and it seems to me that any decent qb, (such as Landers at JMU) could get the same stats that johnson did. First, it was quite a cupcake of a team. Second, nearly 3/4 of the playcalling were passing plays- even when San Diego was up by multiple tds. Third, Johnson statyed in the game, and passed in the game, much more longer than any classy and smart coach would have allowed him to stay in and pass for. Late in the second quarter, for example, when USD was up on Bulter 42-3, USD called 8 pasing plays of an 11 play drive, including a pss play for the TD. In the third quarte, when it looked like that poor backup might have some playing time, the coach actually took the backup out, and replaced him with Johnson to score two more times...

This is the reason that players like Johnson, Santos and Colt Brennan for Hawaii and many other players will find it difficult to win the Payton or Heisman (for Brennan). Its not bvecause they are not good qbs... in fact they may very well be... its just that they play in a system where the coach leans so heavily toward the pass that it taints the qbs numbers...

vaughtdj
October 2nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
by the way...

one of two things will happen if the USD coach continues to play Johnson this way:

1. Johnson gets injured in junk time and proceeds to watch his career go down the drain...
2. the coach gets a taste of humble pie when they play a real opponent and proceed to lose big time as the opposing team runs the core up on them...

danefan
October 2nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
I can see what you mean, but Johnson is damned if he does and damned if doesn't. If he plays too much in big wins you get the "cupcake" argument, etc.. If he gets pulled though, he would have OK numbers (because he'd only play a half) and he wouldn't be in contention for the Payton at all. Its a lose-lose situation playing for a lower-level team.

USDFAN_55
October 2nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
you know, i took a look at the game stats and it seems to me that any decent qb, (such as Landers at JMU) could get the same stats that johnson did. First, it was quite a cupcake of a team. Second, nearly 3/4 of the playcalling were passing plays- even when San Diego was up by multiple tds. Third, Johnson statyed in the game, and passed in the game, much more longer than any classy and smart coach would have allowed him to stay in and pass for. Late in the second quarter, for example, when USD was up on Bulter 42-3, USD called 8 pasing plays of an 11 play drive, including a pss play for the TD. In the third quarte, when it looked like that poor backup might have some playing time, the coach actually took the backup out, and replaced him with Johnson to score two more times...

This is the reason that players like Johnson, Santos and Colt Brennan for Hawaii and many other players will find it difficult to win the Payton or Heisman (for Brennan). Its not bvecause they are not good qbs... in fact they may very well be... its just that they play in a system where the coach leans so heavily toward the pass that it taints the qbs numbers...

I don't know where you get your information from, but you are wrong. In the Butler game he played the first series in the 3rd quarter, scored a TD and was done. If we went by what you said USD would have won the game 63-9; thus discrediting anything you said about JJ.

The system you speak of is the west coast offense.... you know, the offense that the majority of the NFL teams run. If you would also look at the stats you would see that the running game is averaging 174 yards per game.xnodx That doesn't look like a pass heavy statistic to me. Get your facts straight before you try down playing a player that is having a great season so far. xrulesx xcoffeex

USDFAN_55
October 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM

Yeah, that Santos kid will never win the Payton awardxlolx xrotatehx xeekx

(just a bit of sarcasmxsmiley_wix )

vaughtdj
October 2nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
actually, Johnson played the entire 3rd quarter and part of the 4th... i did make a mistake about the backup being in there (i was reading the butler drive chart).

i stand firmly by my argument and urge anyone to counter this argument that Johnson is getting such huge stats because:

a. hes playing against inferior opponents
b. hes staying in the game much longer than he needs to
c. hes playing for a coach who calls for much more passing than needed when winning big.

USDFAN_55
October 2nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
actually, Johnson played the entire 3rd quarter and part of the 4th... i did make a mistake about the backup being in there (i was reading the butler drive chart).

i stand firmly by my argument and urge anyone to counter this argument that Johnson is getting such huge stats because:

a. hes playing against inferior opponents
b. hes staying in the game much longer than he needs to
c. hes playing for a coach who calls for much more passing than needed when winning big.

Once again, tell me how these stats show a pass happy coach? Looks like a balanced attack to mexnodx :

TEAM STATISTICS USD
-------------------------------------------
SCORING....................... 185
Points Per Game............. 46.2
FIRST DOWNS................... 92
Rushing..................... 35
Passing..................... 54
RUSHING YARDAGE............... 699
Yards gained rushing........ 749
Yards lost rushing.......... 50
Rushing Attempts............ 120
Average Per Rush............ 5.8
Average Per Game............ 174.8
TDs Rushing................. 4
PASSING YARDAGE............... 1314
Att-Comp-Int................ 114-89-1
Average Per Pass............ 11.5
Average Per Catch........... 14.8
Average Per Game............ 328.5
TDs Passing................. 20
TOTAL OFFENSE................. 2013
Total Plays................. 234
Average Per Play............ 8.6
Average Per Game............ 503.2

vaughtdj
October 2nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
actually, i like the west coast offense and think it, along or combined with the spread option will revolutionize college football and the nfl. but i think the west coast offense is good for winning games, not for blowing them out. Any respectable coach should have a wide array of running plays to choose from for this situaiton.

USDFAN_55
October 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
actually, i like the west coast offense and think it, along or combined with the spread option will revolutionize college football and the nfl. but i think the west coast offense is good for winning games, not for blowing them out. Any respectable coach should have a wide array of running plays to choose from for this situaiton.

The coaches and the players are doing what they can with the schedule that is given to them. They can't just be beating these teams by 14 points. They need to put up big numbers to garner any kind of attention. If they ran the ball in for 20 TDs instead of passing them in is that any different? It is up to the other team to stop you. Or should they just kneel the ball when they get a big lead? After all, we don't want to hurt anybody's feelings now do we?

vaughtdj
October 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
most of those rush attempts came in a game in which Johnson didnt even start because of a suspension. In that game there were only 16 passes. Since then, those pass attempts have nearly doubled in each game and USD has passed more than they have rushed...

just admit it:

the USD coach is probably allowing Johnson to pass so much and stay in the game so long because both him and Johnson want to win the Payton.

its reasonable... buts its just not the classy thing to do.

USDFAN_55
October 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
most of those rush attempts came in a game in which Johnson didnt even start because of a suspension. In that game there were only 16 passes. Since then, those pass attempts have nearly doubled in each game and USD has passed more than they have rushed...

just admit it:

the USD coach is probably allowing Johnson to pass so much and stay in the game so long because both him and Johnson want to win the Payton.

This is not about the Payton award. This is about, all be it a long shot, making a case for the play-offs. If San Diego can put up the numbers they have been and go undefeated, they would have a better chance this year then they did last year.

The Tank
October 2nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
This is not about the Payton award. This is about, all be it a long shot, making a case for the play-offs. If San Diego can put up the numbers they have been and go undefeated, they would have a better chance this year then they did last year.

Exactly, and the game against Azusa Pacific is a perfect example. All people look at is a perceived bad opponent and a final score of 42-32. It was quoted in here and in other media outlets that USD struggled, when in fact they were up 42-10 (WITHOUT the best player in FCS), before giving up 22 cheap points in the final 5:00 minutes.

Why wasn't everyone killing #16 Nicholls St. for needing a last second field goal to beat Azusa Pacific?

So unfortunately, it is a fact of life that USD is forced to blowout teams. And by the way, Johnson only played 1 offensive series into the 3rd qtr against Butler.

vaughtdj
October 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Well, I'll stop nitpicking things and just say that, yes, Johnson looks good but I would like to see him play against better competition to further reinforce this.

I hope you guys get to the playoffs so that we can find out what kind of challenge you can bring to the rest of FCS.

Model Citizen
October 2nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
... they were up 42-10 (WITHOUT the best player in FCS), before giving up 22 cheap points in the final 5:00 minutes.

The late scores were against USD's backups.

Nicholls beat Rice didn't they? Obviously, the game we need to see is Rice against Azusa Pacific. :p

vaughtdj
October 2nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
Sorry, one last correction. Josh Johnson did play in the 3rd and 4th quarters... check out the stats from the USD website:

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/07fb-05.html#GAME.PLY

Model Citizen
October 2nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
Correct.

USDFAN_55
October 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Sorry, one last correction. Josh Johnson did play in the 3rd and 4th quarters... check out the stats from the USD website:

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/07fb-05.html#GAME.PLY

Looks like he did, but he wasn't passing much. Pretty much running the clock out. If they had kept their offense open they would have scored in the 70's.

FCSFAN
October 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
And by the way, Johnson only played 1 offensive series into the 3rd qtr against Butler.You mean only 1 offensive series into the 4th qtr against Butler (with the score: SAN DIEGO 49, BUTLER 3).
http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/07fb-05.html

Mr. C
October 2nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
Well, I'll stop nitpicking things and just say that, yes, Johnson looks good but I would like to see him play against better competition to further reinforce this.

I hope you guys get to the playoffs so that we can find out what kind of challenge you can bring to the rest of FCS.

Johnson played super in San Diego's game against Yale - one of the Ivy League champs - last season. He also held his own against a very good UC Davis team and a quality squad from Monmouth. I have the tape of the Yale game and Johnson was incredible.

The Tank
October 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
I think USD's current team is being penalized by all the rumblings for a playoff spot last year. There current team is more explosive than last season, and basically has everyone back. They aren't even ranked in the top 25 this year, and yet you have teams like Yale and Nicholls St. who haven't proved a thing ranked.

It's a shame we don't get to see what the current team could do against better competition while Johnson is leading them, unless they get into the playoffs.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
I think USD's current team is being penalized by all the rumblings for a playoff spot last year. There current team is more explosive than last season, and basically has everyone back. They aren't even ranked in the top 25 this year, and yet you have teams like Yale and Nicholls St. who haven't proved a thing ranked.

It's a shame we don't get to see what the current team could do against better competition while Johnson is leading them, unless they get into the playoffs.

You mean Nicholls State, who beat FBS team Rice?

You mean Yale, who thrashed Patriot League title contender Holy Cross (whose only other loss came to #3 UMass), and 2-1 Cornell?

I think they've proven plenty. Unless you'd like to argue that that quality win over 0-5 Northern Colorado was somehow better than wins over Rice and Holy Cross.

DavisAggie
October 2nd, 2007, 06:38 PM

He is having a great year, no doubt about that. Cannot wait until 11/17 when USD comes to town and faces one of the best D-lines in the FCS (ranked #7 in the nation in rushing defense). The pocket will close quick and early for JJ, and when it does forget about the run, San Jose State only gained 15 net yards rushing last week.

USDFAN_55
October 2nd, 2007, 06:41 PM
He is have a great year, no doubt about that. Cannot wait until 11/17 when USD comes to town and faces one of the best D-lines in the FCS (ranked #7 in the nation in rushing defense). The pocket will close quick and early for JJ, and when it does forget about the run, San Jose State only gained 15 net yards rushing last week.

Being number 1 in rush defense is good, but does that help much against a team that has a potent passing game. You can have a great rush defense because teams choose to exploit you through the air. A more impressive stat is total defense and points allowed.xthumbsupx

DavisAggie
October 2nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
Being number 1 in rush defense is good, but does that help much against a team that has a potent passing game. You can have a great rush defense because teams choose to exploit you through the air. A more impressive stat is total defense and points allowed.xthumbsupx

My point, which I felt I made, was that JJ has not seen a defensive line all year as he will see up in Davis. A collapsed pocket does not bold well for a pass only team.

USDFAN_55
October 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
My point, which I felt I made, was that JJ has not seen a defensive line all year as he will see up in Davis. A collapsed pocket does not bold well for a pass only team.

Well then it's a good thing he can run. I highly doubt they will be able to run him down if he is flushed from the pocket.... unless of course your d-linemen have 4.6 speed.xnodx

DavisAggie
October 2nd, 2007, 08:12 PM
Well then it's a good thing he can run. I highly doubt they will be able to run him down if he is flushed from the pocket.... unless of course your d-linemen have 4.6 speed.xnodx

Man it is going to be fun kicking your a** again this year. Face it, USD is the joke of 1-AA football. What other team is made fun of more than you guys. So until you guys play *or* beat a real team I guess all you have are your statistics.

Are record might not indicate it, but we are bigger and faster than we were last year. You guys are just not on the same level as Cal Ploy and UC Davis.

USDFAN_55
October 2nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Man it is going to be fun kicking your a** again this year. Face it, USD is the joke of 1-AA football. What other team is made fun of more than you guys. So until you guys play *or* beat a real team I guess all you have are your statistics.

Are record might not indicate it, but we are bigger and faster than we were last year. You guys are just not on the same level as Cal Ploy and UC Davis.

Why such animosity for San Diego? I'm sorry you are stuck in Davis... trust me I would hate life also. I grew up around there, and getting out of there is the best thing that has happened to me.

GOTOREROS
October 2nd, 2007, 08:22 PM

just admit it:

That might be the lamest post ever - a coach is SUPPOSED to use the best players he has to beat the other team. If Johnson was a running back and scored tons of rushing TD's would you say they should throw it more? It's like telling Alex Rodriguez to go for singles rather than home runs......xnodx

Why punish a star palyer for being good?

Coach Caragher: "Sorry Josh, you're too good to play more than 1 half son. Go sit in the stands for each second half and eat some popcorn".

Josh Johnson: "You're right coach it isn't very nice to score so many points. I think the other teams feelings are hurt."

Coach Caragher: "Glad to hear you aren't interested in playing too much and having fun."

GOTOREROS
October 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM

I guess we'll find out! xcoffeex

GOTOREROS
October 2nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
You mean Nicholls State, who beat FBS team Rice?

You mean Yale, who thrashed Patriot League title contender Holy Cross (whose only other loss came to #3 UMass), and 2-1 Cornell?

I think they've proven plenty. Unless you'd like to argue that that quality win over 0-5 Northern Colorado was somehow better than wins over Rice and Holy Cross.

Nicholls St 30 Azusa Pacific 28

San Diego 42 Azusa Pacific 32

DavisAggie
October 2nd, 2007, 08:34 PM
Why such animosity for San Diego? I'm sorry you are stuck in Davis... trust me I would hate life also. I grew up around there, and getting out of there is the best thing that has happened to me.
Now that is some funny *****. xlolx xlolx xlolx You are a moron. I live in La Jolla and work for SAIC. Dumba**. Just because I went to school at Davis does not mean I live there. You're an idiot.

GOTOREROS
October 2nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
Now that is some funny *****. xlolx xlolx xlolx You are a moron. I live in La Jolla and work for SAIC. Dumba**. Just because I went to school at Davis does not mean I live there. You're an idiot.

Do they have "anger management" at SAIC? xcoffeex

USDFAN_55
October 2nd, 2007, 08:37 PM

I see you wisened up like myselfxthumbsupx I can also see that you have some sort of rage problem. Maybe it's little man complexxconfusedx xnodx . Shortcomings that you are always trying to make up for. Maybe you weren't held as a baby? I'm not sure. Maybe you can enlighten me.xreadx

DavisAggie
October 2nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
I see you wisened up like myselfxthumbsupx I can also see that you have some sort of rage problem. Maybe it's little man complexxconfusedx xnodx . Shortcomings that you are always trying to make up for. Maybe you weren't held as a baby? I'm not sure. Maybe you can enlighten me.xreadx

It just drives me crazy, as you can see, when USD fans start talking like your team is the best thing to happen to college football. Until you guys improve your schedule (I know, not your fault) and actually beat somebody, then you guys can run your mouths. Until then, keep talking as if you guys are God’s gift to college football until you play UC Davis like last year.

I think other people on the board get as pissed too. You have to earn it before you can run your mouth. Having confidence is great, but too much is annoying.

USDFAN_55
October 2nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
It just drives me crazy, as you can see, when USD fans start talking like your team is the best thing to happen to college football. Until you guys improve your schedule (I know, not your fault) and actually beat somebody, then you guys can run your mouths. Until then, keep talking as if you guys are God’s gift to college football until you play UC Davis like last year.

I think other people on the board get as pissed too. You have to earn it before you can run your mouth. Having confidence is great, but too much is annoying.

When did I say anything that suggests I think USD is God's gift to college football..... now Johnson on the other hand:D