PDA

View Full Version : Possible scenario????

appstate38
October 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
To all you Wofford and ASU fans:

Consider this, Is it possible that if the rankings were to remain the same for the rest of the season and the Apps continued to be ranked ahead of the Terriers. Could we see a situation were even though Wofford was the Conference champ that they would have to travel to Boone if both progress far enough in the playoffs. That would be a serious problem I would think. Just a thought even though those kinds of things have a way of working themselves out in the end.

P.S. Especially if the Apps are a top 4 seed.

Yes I know we are a long way from that possiblity but it makes for good discussion.

th0m
October 1st, 2007, 10:31 AM
Rankings aren't the sole factor that goes into issuing seeds.

GoldandBlack
October 1st, 2007, 10:33 AM
Is it possible that if the rankings were to remain the same for the rest of the season and the Apps continued to be ranked ahead of the Terriers.

Could we see a situation were even though Wofford was the Conference champ that they would have to travel to Boone if both progress far enough in the playoffs.

To answer your question- sure, it's possible.

It's fairly obvious that the polls are based almost as much on past history as they are on current performance and scheduling, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see what you're describing occur.

Of course, it's a long road from now to then, and I don't take any wins for granted between now and then- I have too much respect for the other teams in the SoCon for that.

Bottom line is, if we play well enough to get in the playoffs, we'll be glad to meet anyone, anywhere.xnodx

OL FU
October 1st, 2007, 10:35 AM
If the rankings remain as they are ASU would not be a top 4 seed. Edit I may be thinking of the wrong poll

I do believe if neither Wofford or ASU are seeded there is a good possibility that Wofford would travel to Boone.

89Hen
October 1st, 2007, 10:44 AM

To answer your question- sure, it's possible.
Correct and correct. IF WC wins the SoCon outright, they WILL get a seed and AppSt most likely will not, unless the Gateway and CAA beat each other up so badly that nobody from either of them gets one. In that case, both could get a seed with WC getting the higher.

AZGrizFan
October 1st, 2007, 10:53 AM
Correct and correct. IF WC wins the SoCon outright, they WILL get a seed and AppSt most likely will not, unless the Gateway and CAA beat each other up so badly that nobody from either of them don't get one. In that case, both could get a seed with WC getting the higher.

That there's some good English. xlolx ;)

WVAPPmountaineer
October 1st, 2007, 10:58 AM
One thing to keep in mind is ATTENDANCE - we all know they want the nationally televised games to be well attended - if everybody runs the table that has that possibility then Montana and APP State will be the top 2 seeds unless N. Iowa or So. ILL go undefeated - not saying it is fair just saying that's my guess

Millwoch
October 1st, 2007, 11:03 AM
Long way to go before we worry about that. The polls will take care of themselves. Has the SOCON winner every gone on the road in the first round. I know The Citadel played at home in 92.

89Hen
October 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
That there's some good English. xlolx ;)
What's you problem? xmadx :p

MarkCCU
October 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM

Right! You have to taken into account how many others have recieved seeds from Citdog.

Wait..we're talking about different seeds right?

Sorry folks...

GannonFan
October 1st, 2007, 11:26 AM
If Wofford and Appy St win out, Wofford's getting a seed before Appy St does. With that said, there would need to be plenty of 11-0 teams from good conferences to deny a 10-1 Appy St team a seed. But Woffy gets it first and gets a better one that Appy St if they win out - head to head matters. xthumbsupx

WVAPPmountaineer
October 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM
I agree it is way too early and there are many games to be played but look back at the '05 playoffs when ASU was a top 2 seed with an 8-3 record including a loss at Furman which finished 9-2 but didn't get the seed. Granted APP won the SoCon outright - head to head matters, as it should, but ATTENDANCE will swing the vote - You know they want to see 25,000 screaming fans at Montana for one semi and 27,000 at ASU for the other - I also forgot to add McNeese earlier - if they go undefeated they would right there as well.

WVAPPmountaineer
October 1st, 2007, 01:43 PM
Also must add Delaware and/or Hofstra if either goes undefeated - especially Delaware with their great home following

walliver
October 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM
Long way to go before we worry about that. The polls will take care of themselves. Has the SOCON winner every gone on the road in the first round. I know The Citadel played at home in 92.

The "word" in 2003, was that Wofford would not get a home game in the playoffs unless we were one of the four seeded teams. xtwocentsx

Appdad
October 1st, 2007, 02:58 PM
SEMI-FINAL REMATCH!!!!!!!!!!!

CID1990
October 1st, 2007, 03:59 PM
SEMI-FINAL REMATCH!!!!!!!!!!!

You gots more football to play first, Bubba.

Catbooster
October 1st, 2007, 04:08 PM
If I recall correctly, NAU, EWU and MSU have all shared the title with the griz in the last half-dozen years, won the auto-bid by virtue of beating them, and been on the road while the griz hosted. I think it's quite possible a similar thing could happen with Wofford and ASU this year if they both keep winning.

Grizo406
October 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM

NO ONE knows that better than the Griz!xnodx xlolx xlolx

Saint3333
October 1st, 2007, 05:36 PM
I would not be shocked if a 10-1 ASU got a higher seed than a 10-1 Wofford. Especially if AE is back by then.

I don't think it should come into play, but attendance does matter.

Both teams will NOT be 10-1 at season's end, so I really just wasted my time.xbawlingx