PDA

View Full Version : Impressions from UNI-Illinois State

PantherRob82
September 30th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Well, yesterday I woke up at 445am and headed down to Normal,IL.

Great gameday atmosphere. Lots of tailgating. Even had a live band playing more current hits for the students. Good stuff.

The new field looks great, as does the video board. once the replace the stands it will be a great stadium.

The band and cheerleaders were also very good. I enjoyed their band.

The game definitely did not go as plans. We were slipping on the field turf, making bad decisions, and stalling altogether on offense.

The defense played great. Outside of two blown plays the defense was solid. Ill St's 2 TDs came on blown plays ( a 50 yd run and a pass where the DB slipped).

We came out with a win, and luckily that's all that matters. Drone threw some ill concieved passes, but seemed to be calling some good audibles at the line.

The city of Normal was friendly and welcoming and I will definitely be back.

birdbrain
September 30th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Well, yesterday I woke up at 445am and headed down to Normal,IL.

Great gameday atmosphere. Lots of tailgating. Even had a live band playing more current hits for the students. Good stuff.

The new field looks great, as does the video board. once the replace the stands it will be a great stadium.

The band and cheerleaders were also very good. I enjoyed their band.

The game definitely did not go as plans. We were slipping on the field turf, making bad decisions, and stalling altogether on offense.

The defense played great. Outside of two blown plays the defense was solid. Ill St's 2 TDs came on blown plays ( a 50 yd run and a pass where the DB slipped).

We came out with a win, and luckily that's all that matters. Drone threw some ill concieved passes, but seemed to be calling some good audibles at the line.

The city of Normal was friendly and welcoming and I will definitely be back.The ILS defense did play great, their best game so far. We stuffed and stopped the awesome and HUGE UNI offense a bunch. Our turnovers did us in. Kudos to UNI for capitalizing on them. xbowx The UNI defense was tremendous too. They took away a lot of the passing game though we were able to run a bit. We were worried about getting blown out but stood our ground really well against the #1 team in the country. The UNI fans were a small but vocal bunch that we admire so come on back. Hopefully we'll pound your team like last time or just play you extremely close like this time. :)

These #12 and #4 kids are dwarfed by most of your team but are really, really good:

igo4uni
September 30th, 2007, 09:11 PM
These #12 and #4 kids are dwarfed by most of your team but are really, really good:

Yeah, they are pretty good!!

unigriff
October 1st, 2007, 08:26 AM
pretty darn good for a walk-on!

MSUBear42
October 1st, 2007, 10:22 AM
Sorry for the off topic, but does Illinois State have a forum?

JayJ79
October 1st, 2007, 11:34 AM
Sorry for the off topic, but does Illinois State have a forum?

http://redbirdfan.com/forum/index.php

Cap'n Cat
October 1st, 2007, 07:21 PM
The ILS defense did play great, their best game so far. We stuffed and stopped the awesome and HUGE UNI offense a bunch. Our turnovers did us in. Kudos to UNI for capitalizing on them. xbowx The UNI defense was tremendous too. They took away a lot of the passing game though we were able to run a bit. We were worried about getting blown out but stood our ground really well against the #1 team in the country. The UNI fans were a small but vocal bunch that we admire so come on back. Hopefully we'll pound your team like last time or just play you extremely close like this time. :)

UNI, four out of five lately v ILSU, I believe. 16-8 overall.

ISUMatt
October 1st, 2007, 08:33 PM
All the UNI folk I walked up to were great...It was a slugfest for a game, Drone disappointed yet again, our OC called a miserable game, and our special teams stick...Otherwise I had a blast!!! Even saw an old friend I hadnt seen in awhile so it was all good, even though we lost

Chi Panther
October 1st, 2007, 08:38 PM
I'm glad Ill State doesn't have this kid anymore......

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-4467476.html

Un-real performance.....which I think is still a UNI-Dome record....

and today....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Glenn

Mr. C
October 1st, 2007, 09:03 PM
UNI has the best FCS defense I have seen thus far. I'll disagree slightly from the first post. The first TD run was caused by missed tackles. The second TD on a pass was an extremely well-executed play. Drone didn't make many of those, but he earned that TD by timing his throw perfectly against the Cover 2 zone. I said before the season that UNI would be playing in Chattanooga in December and nothing I saw on Saturday in person makes me feel any differently. This is a great team.

Cap'n Cat
October 1st, 2007, 09:44 PM
UNI has the best FCS defense I have seen thus far. I'll disagree slightly from the first post. The first TD run was caused by missed tackles. The second TD on a pass was an extremely well-executed play. Drone didn't make many of those, but he earned that TD by timing his throw perfectly against the Cover 2 zone. I said before the season that UNI would be playing in Chattanooga in December and nothing I saw on Saturday in person makes me feel any differently. This is a great team.

You were there? Did you bring Ralph and the kiddos?

:)

Chi Panther
October 1st, 2007, 10:12 PM

That is some BIG praise.....what other Defenses have you seen????xconfusedx

crunifan
October 1st, 2007, 10:19 PM
I sure hope you are right Mr. C, but there is a lot of football to be played.

Oh, but how I would LOVE to go back to Chattanooga!

PantherRob82
October 3rd, 2007, 07:47 PM

You can disagree with the first, but the cb in coverage fell on the 2nd. xrolleyesx