PDA

View Full Version : Did you see this score?

Umass74
September 30th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Next year's UMass BCS foe Texas Tech beat our own Northwestern St 75-7. Up 68-7 with 6:03 left in the 4th quarter, they scored on a 50 yard PASS play. xnonono2x

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Next year's UMass BCS foe Texas Tech beat our own Northwestern St 75-7. Up 68-7 with 6:03 left in the 4th quarter, they scored on a 50 yard PASS play. xnonono2x

You must be unfamiliar with Mike Leach...xnodx

That's how they play in Lubbock. Would love if UMass went up there and showed them something... :)

BDKJMU
September 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM

If it was their 3rd stringers in and it was a short to medium pass that turned into a 50 yard pass play it wouldn't be that bad. Otherwise, that is wrong.

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2007, 05:37 PM

My question would be "Was it thrown by the starting QB or a backup?"
If it was a backup, I have no problem with it.

patssle
September 30th, 2007, 05:38 PM
No offense to UMASS...but regardless of how many points you put on the board...Tech will triple on it.

Your offense might be able to score...but your defense will not stop them. SHSU played them in 2005...we put 21 points on them...pretty impressive for a Big 12 school. But we gave up 80 points.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 30th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Maybe he wanted his backup QB and offense to get to run the offense?

DuckDuckGriz
September 30th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I hate Texas Tech. I've never even cheered for a team that played em but every time I have seen their fans or something at their games they've just been a buncha classless pr!cks.

JohnStOnge
September 30th, 2007, 06:08 PM
If it was their 3rd stringers in and it was a short to medium pass that turned into a 50 yard pass play it wouldn't be that bad. Otherwise, that is wrong.

I disagree. If you're up 68-7 there's no reason to be passing the ball at all. You should be just running the clock. If you want your second or third string quarterback to get practice do it in practice. You're not going to get any kind of real "game" experience for him in that situation anyway.

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I disagree. If you're up 68-7 there's no reason to be passing the ball at all. You should be just running the clock. If you want your second or third string quarterback to get practice do it in practice. You're not going to get any kind of real "game" experience for him in that situation anyway.

I have to disagree. Doing it in front of thousands of fans is different than doing it in practice. The scrubs deserve a chance to show what they have in a blowout.

grizband
September 30th, 2007, 06:12 PM
My question would be "Was it thrown by the starting QB or a backup?"
If it was a backup, I have no problem with it.
It was the backup, but it was his 3rd TD pass of the day. Like someone mentioned, if this was a short pass that was broken for a big gain, then its fine, but if they were gunning for the end zone, then I have a problem with that execution.

JohnStOnge
September 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I have to disagree. Doing it in front of thousands of fans is different than doing it in practice. The scrubs deserve a chance to show what they have in a blowout.

Doing it in practice is probably doing it against better players. There is absolutely no need to be throwing the ball with a 68-7 lead, period.

SeattleGriz
September 30th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Hell, if you want them to get practice, put them in when the score is 28-7. Especially if the other team hadn't gotten any offense going by then.

Texas Tech is like school on Sundays...No Class!!

Retro
September 30th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I think everyone should be more surprised at how bad the NWST defense and offense were... They and Mcneese used to be know for their physical play on defense.. It's clear that NWST has dropped down considerably in that department this year...
I too think it is probably wrong to be passing that late in the game with that lead with that score, regardless of the string in.

Frosty The Snowbuff
September 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Lets see here (And I'm a Colorado fan also so I KNOW this is why Leach did this):

The week before....Texas Tech LOST to Oklahoma State. EVERYONE and their moma knows Leach can't handle losing...Regardless of opponent....we just happened to be the school that Leach and company dished his "frustration" towards....

You don't honestly expect Leach to stop passing because he was up 60 points did ya???

Besides....The objective of the game is to score and win the game....Just because the 3rd string was in doesn't necessarily mean that you're supposed to hand the ball off and just run clock.....How would the 3rd string ever know how to run thier offense in REAL game situations???

Remember when we dropped 87 points on Southeastern Louisiana in 2003???? :D

Well......

What goes around....comes around folks. We lost....time to improve and get ready for Conference Play.

Umass74
September 30th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I believe that was the third TD pass by the back-up QB. I can see giving the second string guy one scoring series with the full package, but beyond that, run the ball and take a full 25 seconds on each snap.

Texas Tech only ran the ball 25 times in the whole game.

SU Jag
September 30th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Its not TTUs job to not score, its State's job to stop them. In the words of a coach from Grambling, "if they cant play you, blow their azz out"!

Frosty The Snowbuff
September 30th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Its not TTUs job to not score, its State's job to stop them. In the words of a coach from Grambling, "if they cant play you, blow their azz out"!

Agreed....xthumbsupx

And I did not know yall were 5-0....

I need to pay attention.....

BDKJMU
September 30th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I looked at the box score. Tex Tech was up 66-7 at the end of the 3rd. They had their backups in, and even though they pass about 80% of the time, they ran as I counted it 12 running plays and only 2 pass plays in the 4th quarter. On the pass play in question, it was 3rd and 6. Couldn't find in looking at any of the press coverage or forums whether or not it was a 5-10 yard pass followed by a 40 some yard run, or a bomb. A bomb would be running up the score. A 5-10 yard pass in that situation wouldn't be.

http://texastech.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/tt05.html

bobbythekidd
September 30th, 2007, 08:28 PM
An unpopular position for sure, but one I agree with.

"Each game is 60 minutes long and at least one team will play all of them. It might as well be us."-Paul Johnson

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Tech did throw a deep pass with less than a minute to go. That is classless.

Longhorn
September 30th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I believe that was the third TD pass by the back-up QB. I can see giving the second string guy one scoring series with the full package, but beyond that, run the ball and take a full 25 seconds on each snap.

Texas Tech only ran the ball 25 times in the whole game.

Apparently you don't know much about Tx Tech and the offense Mike Leech has them in. 25 running plays would be about 15 more than normal for the Red Raiders. xsmiley_wix All Tx Tech does is pass, pass and pass some more in a spread, fast-break offense. There is no slow-down options to it, other than perhaps taking a knee, and no coach is going to do that with lots of time on the clock.

If Tech's backups were in, and it sounds like they were, I don't see the problem. This isn't Pop Warner play here folks....nobody cares about hurting your pride or sense of self-esteem...it's DI college ball.

I wish UMAss the best when the play Tech...but if Minuteman fans don't like the idea of getting swamped, cheer for your team to play hard on defense and hopefully you'll win. Obviously Tech's offensive system (and it is a system) is formidable, but it can be slowed enough to beat it as I haven't seen any NC's headed to Lubbock while Leech is there.

McNeese75
September 30th, 2007, 09:04 PM
TT will run the score on each and every team they get the chance to. Any FCS team going to Lubbock should just get ready to get rocked because it is going to happen each and every time. xcoolx

Dallas Demon
October 1st, 2007, 08:43 AM
I looked at the box score. Tex Tech was up 66-7 at the end of the 3rd. They had their backups in, and even though they pass about 80% of the time, they ran as I counted it 12 running plays and only 2 pass plays in the 4th quarter. On the pass play in question, it was 3rd and 6. Couldn't find in looking at any of the press coverage or forums whether or not it was a 5-10 yard pass followed by a 40 some yard run, or a bomb. A bomb would be running up the score. A 5-10 yard pass in that situation wouldn't be.

http://texastech.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/tt05.html

I was at the game, the pass was a perfectly thrown bomb 40 yards in the air. Some think the backup QB is as good as the starter. Texas Tech is well-known for piling on the points, they were in the 80s against Sam Houston a couple of years ago. It's just what they do, and the offense is basically unstoppable unless you have the talent to match them.

We didn't play well past the 5 minute mark of the second quarter combined with TT was out to prove something after the loss to Oklahoma St. the week before. They fired their defensive coordinator during the week and the new guy had them practicing "tackling drills" late every night of the week. We just didn't have a chance in this one.

But I did save a bunch on switching over to Geico over the weekend... xthumbsupx

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 1st, 2007, 03:08 PM
I was at the game, the pass was a perfectly thrown bomb 40 yards in the air. Some think the backup QB is as good as the starter. Texas Tech is well-known for piling on the points, they were in the 80s against Sam Houston a couple of years ago. It's just what they do, and the offense is basically unstoppable unless you have the talent to match them.

We didn't play well past the 5 minute mark of the second quarter combined with TT was out to prove something after the loss to Oklahoma St. the week before. They fired their defensive coordinator during the week and the new guy had them practicing "tackling drills" late every night of the week. We just didn't have a chance in this one.

But I did save a bunch on switching over to Geico over the weekend... xthumbsupx

Chris Todd did start at one time for Texas Tech...albiet only a couple of games...Only difference between those two is Todd has the stronger Arm whereas Harrell is the more accurate passer (Guess who Leach would always take out of the two every time)

But the moment Harrell struggles (like last year in Boulder...for example) expect Todd to get the nod...

and xlolx at the Geico comment...

JohnStOnge
October 1st, 2007, 07:47 PM
Apparently you don't know much about Tx Tech and the offense Mike Leech has them in. 25 running plays would be about 15 more than normal for the Red Raiders. xsmiley_wix All Tx Tech does is pass, pass and pass some more in a spread, fast-break offense. There is no slow-down options to it, other than perhaps taking a knee, and no coach is going to do that with lots of time on the clock. .

Oh c'mon man. Texas Tech has running plays. There is absolutely no reason why, at that point, they couldn't have just run the ball and the clock.

Appaholic
October 1st, 2007, 09:16 PM
An unpopular position for sure, but one I agree with.

"Each game is 60 minutes long and at least one team will play all of them. It might as well be us."-Paul Johnson

Those were the days.....Erk....Paul,,,,,BVG.....xdohx

Poly Pigskin
October 1st, 2007, 09:39 PM
Oh c'mon man. Texas Tech has running plays. There is absolutely no reason why, at that point, they couldn't have just run the ball and the clock.

Sure they have running plays, but what's wrong with throwing the football? Is there really that big a difference between 66 and 75 points? I don't know about you, but I watch football to be entertained, and watching my team pound the ball up the gut play after play is not entertaining (I guess I root for the wrong team xlolx ). As long as you have the backups in, go ahead and put the ball up, it's fun to watch.

Longhorn
October 1st, 2007, 11:16 PM

You're not following the storyline here...running is not what TT does. They pass. Passing is their first and last option. Leech is not going to change his system and start running as a first option just to hold the score down. He's gonna have his QB run his "system" which is over 80% passing, whether it's the 1st quarter or the 4th, 1st string or 3rd. And if an opponent can't hang with his fast-break spread he'll let his offense literally blow past the other team and put up points like its a pin-ball machine.

If TT could recruit against the likes of UT, A&M and OU and get some top players on defense, TT might actually win a title or two (someday). As it is, they're an entertaining team that runs a system that maximizes their talent (kinda like the old Princeton teams in MBB). Admittedly it's only entertaining if you're not on the receiving end of one of Tech's drubbings. But expecting the Red Raiders to start running the ball instead of passing (because they have a big lead) would be like asking a shark to give up eating other fish and become a vegetarian.

Eyes of Old Main
October 2nd, 2007, 02:49 AM
The only time Texas Tech doesn't try to run up the score is on their SAT's.

appfan2008
October 2nd, 2007, 08:03 AM
That is Texas Tech for you... I dont have too much of a problem with it

mebisonII
October 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
The only time Texas Tech doesn't try to run up the score is on their SAT's.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

lucchesicourt
October 2nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
How to stop texas Tech or at least make the QB a little nervous is, play man to man on 4 of the WR's and send the rest at the QB, they cannot block 7 rushers. The QB sure has a chance to throw a quick pass to the uncovered WR, but sure as shooting QB WILL get hit. If the coach wants to score more than worrying about his QB's health late in the game, so what. Quit trying to stop the TT offense and HIT the QB hard. Let their coach make the decision on what to do!!! That's my philosophy.
It's sort of like when the Cicago Bears were losing to the Redskins I think it was, and the clock had like 6 seconds left and Washington had the ball, all they had to do was take a knee. BUT, Butkus called a timeout, and the Reskin lineman asked him why he called a timeout. Butkus replied,"Just so I could hit you one more time."

lucchesicourt
October 2nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Great post MEBison

Dallas Demon
October 2nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
How to stop texas Tech or at least make the QB a little nervous is, play man to man on 4 of the WR's and send the rest at the QB, they cannot block 7 rushers. The QB sure has a chance to throw a quick pass to the uncovered WR, but sure as shooting QB WILL get hit. If the coach wants to score more than worrying about his QB's health late in the game, so what. Quit trying to stop the TT offense and HIT the QB hard. Let their coach make the decision on what to do!!! That's my philosophy.
It's sort of like when the Cicago Bears were losing to the Redskins I think it was, and the clock had like 6 seconds left and Washington had the ball, all they had to do was take a knee. BUT, Butkus called a timeout, and the Reskin lineman asked him why he called a timeout. Butkus replied,"Just so I could hit you one more time."

That works IF you have the athletes to compete with them. They have some great offensive weapons with a great system to take advantage of these weapons. Believe me, we tried, but some of the catches that were made were unbelieveable. The system allowed receivers to be open as there were receivers running everywhere. Oh, BTW, their offensive line AVERAGES 340. They're an offensive machine who has no pity on anyone they play, especially a FCS school.

CSUBUCDAD
October 2nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Leach practices the Steve Spurrier method of scoring. His method is and he will tell you, "It' is my job to score points on you, it is your job to stop me."

JohnStOnge
October 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
. But expecting the Red Raiders to start running the ball instead of passing (because they have a big lead) would be like asking a shark to give up eating other fish and become a vegetarian.

No, it's suggesting that they show some class. As far as something like 75-7 not being that different from 68-7...it may not be. But I'm sure they were running it up the whole time. There was no reason for them to keep running their offense like they normally once it got into the 40s or so. Certainly when it got into the 50s. There was no reason not to go ahead and run plays with an eye towards keeping the clock running and getting the thing over with.

I just don't buy the "it's what they do" stuff. They're not robots, and they're not lik sharks which essentially function like biological machines driven by instinct and unconscious response to stimuli. It's not like they physically can't go ahead and run running plays when they lead the game by 50+ points and it's clear the other team can't compete with them.

Pantherpower
October 2nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
Leech is an A-hole, with a capital A. Never liked his style and approach, never will. Funny as heck that a sub-par OSU team beat them a couple of weeks ago. No class...xnonox

Dallas Demon
October 2nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
No, it's suggesting that they show some class. As far as something like 75-7 not being that different from 68-7...it may not be. But I'm sure they were running it up the whole time. There was no reason for them to keep running their offense like they normally once it got into the 40s or so. Certainly when it got into the 50s. There was no reason not to go ahead and run plays with an eye towards keeping the clock running and getting the thing over with.

I just don't buy the "it's what they do" stuff. They're not robots, and they're not lik sharks which essentially function like biological machines driven by instinct and unconscious response to stimuli. It's not like they physically can't go ahead and run running plays when they lead the game by 50+ points and it's clear the other team can't compete with them.

I agree, but I feel I'm old school and perhaps out of touch. But Tech is probably doing themselves a disservice as everyone knows their lopsided wins are because they are running up the score vs. having just played an incredible game. So unless they win a game like this by 70, they've had a subpar performance.

lucchesicourt
October 2nd, 2007, 07:37 PM
I am trying to say don't worry about the score as long as you hit the QB good and hard. It's like when a pitcher hits one of your batters, you retaliate. If he wants to run up the score, hit and I mean make sure you hit the QB. Then the coach may quit trying to run up the score, otherwise the QB WILL eventually get hurt, and it won't be because of something the QB did, but what their coach is doing. I also would be sure to run a sweep in their coach's direction, and with the entire student body.

james_lawfirm
October 2nd, 2007, 07:41 PM
I am trying to say don't worry about the score as long as you hit the QB good and hard. It's like when a pitcher hits one of your batters, you retaliate. If he wants to run up the score, hit and I mean make sure you hit the QB. Then the coach may quit trying to run up the score, otherwise the QB WILL eventually get hurt, and it won't be because of something the QB did, but what their coach is doing. I also would be sure to run a sweep in their coach's direction, and with the entire student body.

That's not nice.