Monmouth @ Sacred Heart

CCSU @ Saint Francis

Wagner @ Robert Morris

Stony Brook @ Albany

All teams in action this week.

BobbyMo
September 30th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Monmouth @ Sacred Heart
I know their record is hurting, but i have to think Monmouth can win this one.

CCSU @ Saint Francis
Saint Francis seems to be having a tough year so far. I really hope they can get things going, but I don't think they will do it this week.

Wagner @ Robert Morris
This is a bit of a rivarly. Wagner and RMU on the field do not get along very well and haven't for years. I am a homer, but I think most would take RMU in this game.

Stony Brook @ Albany
I was very very very suprised with Stony Brook's score against Hofstra. However, I think Albany and their much needed week off will be a bit much the Seawolves.

rmutv
September 30th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Monmouth @ Sacred Heart
Hawks should get their first win of the season. I think they're a decent team, but they've had a tough schedule and some tough breaks. Hawks by a touchdown.

CCSU @ Saint Francis
Blue Devils should roll. No Hairston this year, but the running attack is still impressive. Blue Devils by 14.

Wagner @ Robert Morris
Look for a revamped offensive line, although a new quarterback is not nearly as likely. Also look for a determined Mario Hines. Colonials will win by 6 in a close fight

Stony Brook @ Albany
Great Danes off a bye week? Sounds good for Albany. Danes by a touchdown.

Seawolf97
September 30th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Just keep thinking this is the same old Stonybrook-love to hear itxnodx xnodx

danefan
September 30th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Monmouth @ Sacred Heart...it will be closer than any Mon./SH game in recent memor.

CCSU @ Saint Francis...oh St. Francis.

Wagner @ Robert Morris...RMU will be pretty angry after that whooping from a sub-par VMI team.

Stony Brook @ Albany...no one in Albany thinks it's the same SBU team, but then again we always seem to give the game away to SBU anyway. I watched the SBU/Hofstra game on MSG and I just think Albany is better. It will be a good game though.

Seahawks Fan
October 1st, 2007, 08:03 AM
Week 6:

Monmouth @ Sacred Heart Hawks get their first win of the year.

CCSU @ Saint Francis Looks like a blowout.

Wagner @ Robert Morris RMU too good this year. Wagner needs to run the ball and get time of possession. Wagner kicker Czech outstanding. Could he make a difference?

Stony Brook @ Albany I'll give the edge to the home team.

dgreco
October 1st, 2007, 09:40 AM
Monmouth @ Sacred Heart - saw SHU play decent vs a bad Assumption team, don't now much about MU but taking them.

CCSU @ Saint Francis - saw CCSU look good in every game really and SF stinks.

Wagner @ Robert Morris - rebound after the tough lose to VMI

Stony Brook @ Albany - just think they look a little better this year form what i have heard.

aceinthehole
October 1st, 2007, 09:47 AM
Monmouth @ Sacred Heart - Hawks should get off the schnide, but this may be closer than they care for and don't rule out an SHU "upset."

CCSU @ Saint Francis - Blue Devils in a blowout, but SFPA will likely put up a score or two through the air.

Wagner @ Robert Morris - Colonials should be able to rebound at home, but Wagner is a tough and may be able to rattle Cwalinski.

Stony Brook @ Albany - Coming off the bye and playing at home, the Danes should get the much needed win, but it will be a grudge match type game.

IaaScribe
October 1st, 2007, 10:58 AM
St. Francis looked like it didn't even belong in Division I the other night. Liberty could have easily won by 80 or more points had it wanted to. I really hope that's not indicative of the overall level of play in the NEC. I would think no, since CCSU, Albany and Monmouth had some legit success last season.

danefan
October 1st, 2007, 11:04 AM
St. Francis looked like it didn't even belong in Division I the other night. Liberty could have easily won by 80 or more points had it wanted to. I really hope that's not indicative of the overall level of play in the NEC. I would think no, since CCSU, Albany and Monmouth had some legit success last season.

St. Francis is not indicative of the top level of the NEC. Very much the contrary. Every league has their bottom end, but come on St. Francis. You can do a little better than that!

Dane96
October 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
St. Francis...needs to consider dropping to non-scholarship football. Sorry...but they are a HORRIBLE program for awhile...and scholarships are not helping.

All leagues have bottom teams...but they are clearly the bottom of the FCS...and have ZERO excuses considering they have the ability to give 30 rides.

UAalum72
October 1st, 2007, 11:28 AM
St. Francis' loss to Liberty is no more indicative of the NEC's overall level of play than Indiana State's 72-10 loss to SIU is indicative of the rest of the Gateway

Calif_Colonial
October 1st, 2007, 01:17 PM
Monmouth @ Sacred Heart

CCSU @ Saint Francis

Wagner @ Robert Morris Homecoming Game. It can go to either club. Always competitive games. I will be at the game. Side Note: VMI, I was at the game, they smacked the Colonials because they had bigger O and D Lines. We could not stop the triple option run. We could have scored 21 additional points but fumbled the ball away in the red zone. I know VMI doesn't get much respect, however they dominated the Colonials.

Stony Brook @ UAlbany

Larryl9797
October 1st, 2007, 03:20 PM
Monmouth @ Sacred Heart - Hawks should get off the schnide, but this may be closer than they care for and don't rule out an SHU "upset."

CCSU @ Saint Francis - Blue Devils in a blowout, but SFPA will likely put up a score or two through the air.

Wagner @ Robert Morris - Colonials should be able to rebound at home, but Wagner is a tough and may be able to rattle Cwalinski.

Stony Brook @ Albany - Coming off the bye and playing at home, the Danes should get the much needed win, but it will be a grudge match type game.
Just hope that CCSU does not get caught napping in the first Q.

Dane96
October 1st, 2007, 03:32 PM
Just hope that CCSU does not get caught napping in the first Q.

CCSU could take a nap, eat a sandwich, and read a book while dropping a deuce...and still run away with this game.

St. Francis...is HORRIBLE this season...and it is disconcerting to the rest of the league.

They have had too many years like this.xmadx

BobbyMo
October 1st, 2007, 10:05 PM
CCSU could take a nap, eat a sandwich, and read a book while dropping a deuce...and still run away with this game.

St. Francis...is HORRIBLE this season...and it is disconcerting to the rest of the league.

They have had too many years like this.xmadx

Don't really feel like looking it up, but I think last year was Red Flashes best chance to make some noise. They had a great QB and an unreal WR in Palko. I was suprised how poorly they did last year.

Actually, the year before last i thought they would breakout, then i thought last year. Now, I just wish they could keep it close with rest of the conference. If i had to wager, I dont think they will win a conference game this year. No smack intended.

BobbyMo
October 1st, 2007, 11:45 PM
Also, RMU FANS, I thought it would be cool if we teamed up and paid for a month at AGS.

danefan
October 2nd, 2007, 08:22 AM
Also, RMU FANS, I thought it would be cool if we teamed up and paid for a month at AGS.

Team up and donate that money to RMU instead. xcoffeex

You'll never see an Albany month on here. We need a stadium and fast.

PeacockRaider
October 5th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Monmouth
CCSU
Robert Mo
Albany

DetroitFlyer
October 5th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Ease up on the Red Flash! You NEC fans should know better. SFUP is located roughly between Western PA and Central PA. They have to recruit against a gazillion teams in Western PA, from FBS to Division III.... SFUP is a small school, ( 2300 students or so ), that is in an extremely rural location. It is going to be very hard to recruit kids that could go to Duquesne or Robert Morris versus SFUP. It is not a top tier academic school, so that is not a draw.... Scholarships probably help them to land a few kids here and there, but pulling together a competitive team every year is going to be tough.

They do not need to "drop back" to "non-scholarship". What does that mean anyway? I suppose that Robert Morris should "drop back" to non-scholarship so that they can beat "non-scholarship" Dayton, (LOL)...?

SFUP is a team that is going to be respectable once every ten years, and maybe contend for a championship once every 15 to 20 years.... So what? They are getting some talent now and again. I think the QB from last year ended up playing AFL2 ball or something like that.... I remember seeing him on TV this spring.... Outside of Liberty, the Red Flash have not been horrible.

Personally, I take my hat off to SFUP for fielding an FCS, scholarship football team under extremely difficult circumstances! There are tons of schools that cannot manage to do this, and SFUP should be applauded not scorned for thier efforts to date!! GO RED FLASH!!!!!xnonox

danefan
October 5th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Ease up on the Red Flash! You NEC fans should know better. SFUP is located roughly between Western PA and Central PA. They have to recruit against a gazillion teams in Western PA, from FBS to Division III.... SFUP is a small school, ( 2300 students or so ), that is in an extremely rural location. It is going to be very hard to recruit kids that could go to Duquesne or Robert Morris versus SFUP. It is not a top tier academic school, so that is not a draw.... Scholarships probably help them to land a few kids here and there, but pulling together a competitive team every year is going to be tough.

They do not need to "drop back" to "non-scholarship". What does that mean anyway? I suppose that Robert Morris should "drop back" to non-scholarship so that they can beat "non-scholarship" Dayton, (LOL)...?

SFUP is a team that is going to be respectable once every ten years, and maybe contend for a championship once every 15 to 20 years.... So what? They are getting some talent now and again. I think the QB from last year ended up playing AFL2 ball or something like that.... I remember seeing him on TV this spring.... Outside of Liberty, the Red Flash have not been horrible.

Personally, I take my hat off to SFUP for fielding an FCS, scholarship football team under extremely difficult circumstances! There are tons of schools that cannot manage to do this, and SFUP should be applauded not scorned for thier efforts to date!! GO RED FLASH!!!!!xnonox

Nobody is arguing that they should drop the program. What I'm saying is that the NEC is trying to move forward and St. Francis is holding us back. You cannot argue with the fact that the NEC as a whole is hurt by St. Francis' lack of success. I agree with you that they have a very difficult time recruiting. So what. Should the NEC feel bad for them?

DetroitFlyer
October 5th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Holding the NEC back, you say? The last I checked, 4 out of the 7 NEC teams have losing records so far in 2007. Last year's champion, Monmouth is 0-4.... And yet SFUP is holding the NEC back....

danefan
October 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Holding the NEC back, you say? The last I checked, 4 out of the 7 NEC teams have losing records so far in 2007. Last year's champion, Monmouth is 0-4.... And yet SFUP is holding the NEC back....

I'm not talking about records. I'm talking about national competitiveness. Forget about your never-ending quest to show the PFL is better than the NEC for two seconds and look at the NEC for a second. There are three distinct tiers:

Top Tier: Albany, Monmouth, Central, RMU
Middle: Sacred Heart, Wagner
Bottom: St. Francis

St. Francis is no where near the committment level that the Top tier is at and I would argue is not as committed as Sacred Heart and Wagner. If St. Francis got on the level of Sacred Heart and Wagner I would feel better about them. If that involves spending more money on the program than other schools to make up for their poor location and academics, then so be it. Wagner has location, and Sacred Heart seems to get athletic kids for one reason or another (allthough I'm not sure what that is). Both schools, while not exactly contending for an at-large bid every year, are competitive. Something St. Francis has not been.

And having a kid playing in AFL2 is nothing to hang a program's hat on. Albany has an AFL2 taem and the level of football there is poor at best, akin to some upper level semi-pro leagues.

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Monmouth @ Sacred Heart - Monmouth a bit disappointing so far, a little sunshine this week vs Sacred Heart

CCSU @ Saint Francis - the only thing in St. Francis' favor is the clock

Wagner @ Robert Morris - should be the NEC game of the week, I give the edge to RMU at home.

Stony Brook @ Albany - again another close one. Again the home team gets the nod. Albany's 1-3 start is a result of the tough scheduling, I see them turning things around this week.

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 10:37 AM

The top tier of the NEC has losing records because they schedule CAA, BSC PL and FBS schools for their OOC games, and not the likes of Azuza, Albion, Urbana, Central State and Waldorf.

Dane96
October 5th, 2007, 10:51 AM
And, I might add, the NEC hasnt exactly been blown out, but for a few of those games.

DetroitFlyer
October 5th, 2007, 10:57 AM
http://naia.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100107aab.html

Urbana is currently ranked 24th in the NAIA. And, Sagarin and the GPI both have the PFL ranked ahead of the NEC. Last I checked, even FBS teams do not get to the post season with losing records....

Dane96
October 5th, 2007, 11:30 AM
OMG---Give it a rest. Your logic is beyond silly.

rmutv
October 5th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Just because a school maintains a program and sticks with their decision doesn't make it the RIGHT decision.

The school's performance in football is hurting their ability to succeed as a University. They need to either move their recruiting elsewhere to become a successful football program or look at other options. Recruiting the bottom of the PA kids and some occasional outsiders (What's with the Samaons? From Maui to Loretto?) does not work. Robert Morris, a school that is matched up with St. Francis demographically in everything but religion, is recruiting throughout the United States - including football rich Florida.

UAalum72
October 5th, 2007, 12:32 PM
SFUP is a team that is going to be respectable once every ten years, and maybe contend for a championship once every 15 to 20 years....
Optimistic. Since reinstating varsity football 30 years ago SFU has had exactly three winning seasons (including one 5-4 year winning a forfeit). They have not won more than three games in the last fifteen years, but have had four winless seasons in that time.

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 12:32 PM
LOL 24th in the NAIA!!! I heard they vaulted up the rankings with the big win over LaSalle!

DetroitFlyer
October 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Robert Morris is nothing at all like SFUP! Robert Morris is essentially a surburban campus in a major metropolitan area. SFUP is in the middle of nowhere. If RM and SFUP are recruiting the same kid, I do not care where he comes from, RM is going to have an advantage for the most part. About the only things I think SFUP has to offer are religion and perhaps a better chance to play.

As for hurting the university? Not a chance! Schools like SFUP benefit greatly from any and all exposure! I see SFUP's score on ESPN every Saturday, ( not true of Division II, III or NAIA ). As I mentioned, the QB last year, Anthony Doria played in the AFL2 last season:

http://www.wbspioneers.com/team/doria.php

More good exposure for SFUP!

SFUP would not be a good team in the PFL. Without actual athletic scholarships, few talented kids are going to pick an SFUP over another Division I school.

Dane96
October 5th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Before the Anti-Spock jumps back in, I will say that some NAIA Top 20 teams would give and win some games vs. FCS schools. That being said, comparing a game against URBANA versus Albany playing Montana, Hofstra, Fordham, and Colgate, or CCSU playing Western Michigan, or Monmouth playing Delaware...IS A F'IN JOKE!

Dane96
October 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Robert Morris is nothing at all like SFUP! Robert Morris is essentially a surburban campus in a major metropolitan area. SFUP is in the middle of nowhere. If RM and SFUP are recruiting the same kid, I do not care where he comes from, RM is going to have an advantage for the most part. About the only things I think SFUP has to offer are religion and perhaps a better chance to play.

As for hurting the university? Not a chance! Schools like SFUP benefit greatly from any and all exposure! I see SFUP's score on ESPN every Saturday, ( not true of Division II, III or NAIA ). As I mentioned, the QB last year, Anthony Doria played in the AFL2 last season:

http://www.wbspioneers.com/team/doria.php

More good exposure for SFUP!

SFUP would not be a good team in the PFL. Without actual athletic scholarships, few talented kids are going to pick an SFUP over another Division I school.

Anti-Spock, argument-- Weak. AFL2? Are you kidding me. That is like saying a striker for a League 2 team could start in the Premiership. Possibly, yes...probably--NO!

Additionally, SFUP isn't even remotely close to the 30 rides allowed by the NEC. Heck, I dont even think they are near those given by UA, CCSU, RMU, the DUKES for next year, and Monmouth-- a bit over 20.

If they are having trouble competing because of locale and exposure, it would behoove them to offer the FULL allotment of rides to be competitive.

No one wants them to go DII or DIII, but if they continue to struggle it will only get worse because in a year the top 5 schools in the NEC will be at 30 scholarships divided from 30-50 kids per team.

THAT...is a problem for SFUP...and there losses bring down the RPI of the league.

DetroitFlyer
October 5th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Who is comparing Urbana to Montana, Colgate and Fordham? All I did is point out that Urbana is in fact a ranked, NAIA team! Dayton HAS defeated the first place team in the NEC, Robert Morris, a ranked, NAIA team in Urbana, a poor Division II team in Central State, and Fordham, ( the only team Albany has defeated.) Dayton lost to Morehead State last week. So, Dayton sits at 4-1 while Albany sits at 1-3. Who is better? I don't know, but I think both are probably about even. If these two teams are about even, is it better to be 4-1 or 1-3? If I go out and ask the casual fan "on the street' what will they say?

And how can you possibly make the argument that playing professional football in the AFL2 is not good? Are you under the impression that the percentage of college football players that ever get to play professionally anywhere is so high that it is not a big deal?

By the way, all of those "play up" games except for Fordham have been losses for the NEC!

I think that "Anti-Spock" might just be a reflection in the mirror!:D

danefan
October 5th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Who is comparing Urbana to Montana, Colgate and Fordham? All I did is point out that Urbana is in fact a ranked, NAIA team! Dayton HAS defeated the first place team in the NEC, Robert Morris, a ranked, NAIA team in Urbana, a poor Division II team in Central State, and Fordham, ( the only team Albany has defeated.) Dayton lost to Morehead State last week. So, Dayton sits at 4-1 while Albany sits at 1-3. Who is better? I don't know, but I think both are probably about even. If these two teams are about even, is it better to be 4-1 or 1-3? If I go out and ask the casual fan "on the street' what will they say?

And how can you possibly make the argument that playing professional football in the AFL2 is not good? Are you under the impression that the percentage of college football players that ever get to play professionally anywhere is so high that it is not a big deal?

I know a few people that have turned down AF2 and chose to have a career instead because the level of football is not good. Professional title doesn't make it good football. And by the way Anthony Doria was one of the best QB's, if not the best, in the NEC in recent memory. But you can't win a game all by yourself.

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 01:07 PM

I think what you are not understanding is that yes Dayton beat RMU. I don't think RMUis going to be the #1 NEC team at the END of the season. Albany, CCSU, maybe even Monmouth could run the rest of the schedule to finish 8-3 or 7-4. Put those teams up against the PFL cream, I'd bet on the team with tough road losses over one who is pumped up on D.II and Little Sisters of Azuza teams.

DetroitFlyer
October 5th, 2007, 01:16 PM
It sure would be interesting if the PFL Champion and the NEC Champion played in a post season bowl game....

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/120206aaa.html

Dane96
October 5th, 2007, 01:25 PM

By the way, all of those "play up" games except for Fordham have been losses for the NEC!

How can I make that argument? Well, I worked for the Albany Firebirds for two years for Mike Honhesse (sp?) as a talent evaluator...and I worked the front office for three. Mike, mind you, was Dan Marino's backup in the Hula Bowl...and the captain of the University of Minnesota. Learned alot about evaluating talent.

The AFL back then was light years ahead of the AFL2 is now...and the lower end talent back then was certainly not so good. I caught a game last year, in Albany, and the talent was so-so.

'Nuff said.

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 01:33 PM
It sure would be interesting if the PFL Champion and the NEC Champion played in a post season bowl game....

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/120206aaa.html
Right. And if San Diego ran through Monmouth's OOC schedule they would have made the playoffs.

Ruler 79
October 5th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Just for the record UA is 3 points away (missed FG against Colgate...probably a game we should have won) from being 2-2 against a brutal schedule. Turns out Fordham may be better then advertised. Hofstra is still unbeaten (probably beats Maine), and Montana, along with UMASS and Delaware is arguably the best team in the country. I think our 1-3 record is very misleading.

If UA,CCSU, RM, and Monmouth started the season out with Urbana, Azuza Pa-nobody, Valpo, Butler and anyone else from those power confrences I would bet that UA, CCSU, Monmouth etc would be 4-1 as well.

For the record UA schedules this way because they are headed for full scholarship football. Whether it be in the NEC or elsewhere once 2009 gets here. See Hofstra's growing pains in 1996-2000 (I believe that is when they began to move upward.

DetroitFlyer
October 5th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Albany might be 4-1 if they had played Dayton's schedule and Dayton would probably be 1-3 if they had played Albany's schedule. As I said, I think the two teams are fairly even.

The "ambitions" of some NEC teams make for some interesting issues. Let's assume that the NEC receives an autobid and there is no minimum scholarship or funding requirement implemented.... Does Albany still bolt for a 63 scholarship conference or indy status? How about CCSU and Monmouth? I really do not put Robert Morris in that group. I think they might want to be there, but the resources are not in place yet. I would think that all of the current NEC teams just might be content to stay put, play with 30 scholarships, and enjoy an autobid. What do you think?

Dane96
October 5th, 2007, 02:29 PM
No---Albany would not bolt for INDY? Why would they. They only would if the 45 scholarship limit is not voted in...then...you would see them bolt off. Same with CCSU and Monmouth.

That being said, with ODU and now Ga. State...the CAA will be jettisoning some schools in the future. UA will hold out for that shakeup.

Ruler 79
October 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I actually believe the scholly minimum for an AQ in the NEC will be 50 or a football budget of 1.5 MM I think! We will know for sure in Jan.

IaaScribe
October 5th, 2007, 11:53 PM
St. Francis would lose to half of the ODAC -- Bridgewater, Washington & Lee would win easily.