PDA

View Full Version : SLC Predictions - Week Six

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2007, 08:27 AM
TT's Predictions
OOC Record: 21-9
SLC Record: 1-0
Overall: 22-9

Time for what we've all been waiting for -- SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE PLAY!

Central Arkansas @ Sam Houston State - Bearkats come home. UCA defeated the Kats last year and revenge is on the mind of the Kats. The Bears have a young squad that will be competitive, but I'm hoping the mountain is too high to climb at Bowers Stadium. SAM HOUSTON STATE

Stephen F Austin @ Southeastern Louisiana - The trouble in Nacogdoches continues. This is a long road trip for the Jacks and SELA is going to be excited about being home after playing three of their first four on the road. SELA is going to win this one, but it'll be your typical SLC fight. SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Northwestern State @ Nicholls State - This game is going to give everyone fits. What way do you go here? Demons have been plagued with penalties throughout the season. Colonels have been a fun team to follow this year and have the FBS win in their back pocket. That Northeastern game sticks out to me. I'm curious to see whether the Demons can play 60 minutes of football. I'm going with NICHOLLS STATE.

McNeese State @ Texas State - Some would argue that is McNeese's first road test. Yep, they're throwing out Southern Utah and LA-Lafayette. Those were predicted Pokes wins. Once you get into SLC play, there is no telling. McNeese will want to make it known that they are ready for the challenges ahead while the Bobcats offense will have a tough time finding answers against the tough Pokes defense. McNEESE STATE

JohnStOnge
September 30th, 2007, 08:55 AM
My third try at making a post this morning. So far, as far as I can tell, the first two didn't "take;" but apologies if this is a repeat.

McNeese suffered a huge loss last night when starting running back Jamie Leonard broke his ankle or leg on the first offensive play. The guy never got much publicity but has been a really good back. Going into last night he was averaging 7.4 yards per carry. The next highest ypc average on the team was 5.6. It's a definite significant blow.

McNeese72
September 30th, 2007, 09:47 AM
My third try at making a post this morning. So far, as far as I can tell, the first two didn't "take;" but apologies if this is a repeat.

McNeese suffered a huge loss last night when starting running back Jamie Leonard broke his ankle or leg on the first offensive play. The guy never got much publicity but has been a really good back. Going into last night he was averaging 7.4 yards per carry. The next highest ypc average on the team was 5.6. It's a definite significant blow.

Yep,that is just as a bad blow as Steven Whitehead not making it back.

Doc

JohnStOnge
September 30th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Doc

What, you mean he's out for the year? I'd assumed he'd be back.

BEAR
September 30th, 2007, 09:56 AM
TT,

I agree with your predictions. UCA just isn't what it was last year on defense. But the offense is probably better. Defense wins games though and we have seen UCA lose 2 games by last second scores by the opposing teams. As much as I hate to say it I can see SHSU winning this one.

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Central Arkansas @ Sam Houston State - Kats are ready and are excited to be back home. They won't let the faithful down.

Stephen F Austin @ Southeastern Louisiana - I'm not sure if the jacks will win one SLC game this season.

Northwestern State @ Nicholls State - Someone has to pay for what Tech did the the Demons yesterday. Might as well be Nicholls.

McNeese State @ Texas State - Not even a question here. The game between the bobcats and jacks may determine who goes winless in the SLC this season.

patssle
September 30th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Central Arkansas @ Sam Houston State - Kats are ready and are excited to be back home. They won't let the faithful down.

Stephen F Austin @ Southeastern Louisiana - I'm not sure if the jacks will win one SLC game this season.

Northwestern State @ Nicholls State - Someone has to pay for what Tech did the the Demons yesterday. Might as well be Nicholls.

McNeese State @ Texas State - Not even a question here. The game between the bobcats and jacks may determine who goes winless in the SLC this season.

My picks as well.

Freightliner
September 30th, 2007, 04:28 PM
xrulesx Freightliner's Record xrulesx
OOC: 23-7
Conf: 1-0
Overall: 24-7

Central Arkansas @ Sam Houston State This game should be a good test for UCA. But Bomar and Co will bounce back after the Ok State performance.

Stephen F Austin @ Southeastern Louisiana - SFA is in the same position they were in last year at the start of Conference - without a win.
SLU is having an up and down season, but has showed a lot of progress. SFA is still banged up and took a beating last week against SODAK State. This game will be close...but look for the Lions to come out on Top....

Northwestern State @ Nicholls State - "The unofficial battle of NSU" After the shellacking a youthful Northwestern State took at the hands of Texas Tech, and now having to tackle the option attack of Nicholls in Colonel land....dont look for the Demons to bounce back here.

McNeese State @ Texas State- I've had more problems in picking the Cats this year than any of the other teams in the SLC (and I know the Cats better than any of the other teams!!!) This game is an interesting one. McNeese has lost their last three against Texas State but the Cats have lost their last three, are really banged up and the redzone offense is struggling. McNeese will have their hands full, but in the end...Pokes ride out with the W.

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2007, 08:05 PM
xrulesx Freightliner's Record xrulesx
Conf: 1-0
Overall: 24-7

Central Arkansas @ Sam Houston State This game should be a good test for UCA. But Bomar and Co will bounce back after the Ok State performance.

Stephen F Austin @ Southeastern Louisiana - SFA is in the same position they were in last year at the start of Conference - without a win.
SLU is having an up and down season, but has showed a lot of progress. SFA is still banged up and took a beating last week against SODAK State. This game will be close...but look for the Lions to come out on Top....

Northwestern State @ Nicholls State - "The unofficial battle of NSU" After the shellacking a youthful Northwestern State took at the hands of Texas Tech, and now having to tackle the option attack of Nicholls in Colonel land....dont look for the Demons to bounce back here.

McNeese State @ Texas State- I've had more problems in picking the Cats this year than any of the other teams in the SLC (and I know the Cats better than any of the other teams!!!) This game is an interesting one. McNeese has lost their last three against Texas State but the Cats have lost their last three, are really banged up and the redzone offense is struggling. McNeese will have their hands full, but in the end...Pokes ride out with the W.

I thought Nicholls had moved away from the option offense? Am I mistaken?

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Doc

What is the injury that has sidelined him apparently for the season?

Freightliner
September 30th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I thought Nicholls had moved away from the option offense? Am I mistaken?

AFAIK they are still running the Triple Option...with a little more passing thrown in.

slycat
September 30th, 2007, 11:48 PM
UCA@SHSU - i think bearkats will win a close one. theyve look great once this year and it was against ndsu. if they can find that team again they will win.

SFA@SELA - they lions look better this year and its at home. sfa sucked worse against sdsu then we did so they have to be bad.

NWST@NSU - tough pick but i like the home team in this one.

MSU@TXST - after our last game we need our good team to show up. or maybe a defense. mcneese sts injuries will hurt them but not enough for them to lose. cowboys want revenge for the losing streak they have against the bobcats.

sadly i wont be at the texas st game. hopefully this will be the only home game i miss this year.

patssle
September 30th, 2007, 11:52 PM
AFAIK they are still running the Triple Option...with a little more passing thrown in.

I hope so...every time they tried to pass it last year we sacked them or intercepted it xthumbsupx

Dallas Demon
October 1st, 2007, 12:03 PM

Ditto for me.

UCABEARS75
October 1st, 2007, 04:40 PM
TT's Predictions
SLC Record: 1-0
Overall: 22-9

Time for what we've all been waiting for -- SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE PLAY!

Central Arkansas @ Sam Houston State - Bearkats come home. UCA defeated the Kats last year and revenge is on the mind of the Kats. The Bears have a young squad that will be competitive, but I'm hoping the mountain is too high to climb at Bowers Stadium. SAM HOUSTON STATE

Stephen F Austin @ Southeastern Louisiana - The trouble in Nacogdoches continues. This is a long road trip for the Jacks and SELA is going to be excited about being home after playing three of their first four on the road. SELA is going to win this one, but it'll be your typical SLC fight. SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Northwestern State @ Nicholls State - This game is going to give everyone fits. What way do you go here? Demons have been plagued with penalties throughout the season. Colonels have been a fun team to follow this year and have the FBS win in their back pocket. That Northeastern game sticks out to me. I'm curious to see whether the Demons can play 60 minutes of football. I'm going with NICHOLLS STATE.

McNeese State @ Texas State - Some would argue that is McNeese's first road test. Yep, they're throwing out Southern Utah and LA-Lafayette. Those were predicted Pokes wins. Once you get into SLC play, there is no telling. McNeese will want to make it known that they are ready for the challenges ahead while the Bobcats offense will have a tough time finding answers against the tough Pokes defense. McNEESE STATE

I really can't disagree with these picks and I try to not be just another "homer" and pick my Bears to win each week. As a matter of fact, I thought we would lose our first two games, and we did.

However, I will be surprised if we do not play our best game of the year this Saturday. We are still very young and the nine starters we lost from last year's team are still gone but these freshmen we have been playing now have 4 games under their belts plus a bye week for additional teaching. Additionally, we should be healthier than we have been since the La. Tech game.

With this having been said, we may still not be good enough to beat Sam Houston should they play anywhere near their best but I am betting it will be a very competitive game.

blackfordpu
October 1st, 2007, 09:22 PM
Ditto for me.

Geez, aren't I the popular one? :)

McNeese_beat
October 1st, 2007, 11:24 PM
Here's the word on Whitehead:

Whitehead is week-to-week. The key for him is getting to where he can plant and cut without pain. If he gets to that point in the next couple of weeks, then he can play. If the pain persists and he's not able to be effective cutting and accelerating, he'll probably take the redshirt year. As a 5-8ish, 175-pound player who relies on quickness and speed, there's no sense taping up a knee and playing if the two qualities that make him a special player have been neutralized by injury. Better to go ahead and have surgery, rehab or whatever, and come back at 100 percent next year...

Whitehead never redshirted as a true freshman. He's played in only two games this year so he would qualify to redshirt under the 20 percent rule.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Nicholls St has come out strong with a 16-0 lead with under 30 secs left in the first quarter over NWST

How 'bout those Colonels?

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Nicholls now up 30-0 in the first half...guess the score updates were a little behind schedule...

Wow! I knew Nicholls was good, but just how good? Not sure what to make of this...

Three INTs for TDs for Colonels...that's some good D!

BEAR
October 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I've been lurking the Kats board and it seems everyone there is arguing who is the better QB, Bomar or Brown. Folks, with the lack of defenses on both teams, it's not going to make a difference how good Bomar is. He can be average and do well against the UCA defense. It seems the same situation for UCA's QB Brown against the SHSU defense. This game won't be decided by which QB can pick apart which defense. xlolx xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I've been lurking the Kats board and it seems everyone there is arguing who is the better QB, Bomar or Brown. Folks, with the lack of defenses on both teams, it's not going to make a difference how good Bomar is. He can be average and do well against the UCA defense. It seems the same situation for UCA's QB Brown against the SHSU defense. This game won't be decided by who has the better QB or who has the better defense. xlolx xthumbsupx

I lean towards Bomar simply because he is more mobile and his stats show as much compared to Brown.

Bomar's WR corps is not that great, but Bomar can change the face of the game. Against OKST, we didn't have a running game because our #1 back got injured early so hopefully we can rectify that situation tonight...shortcomings against NDSU were because we spent too much time focusing on the run (per our HC)...

BEAR
October 6th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I lean towards Bomar simply because he is more mobile and his stats show as much compared to Brown.

Bomar's WR corps is not that great, but Bomar can change the face of the game. Against OKST, we didn't have a running game because our #1 back got injured early so hopefully we can rectify that situation tonight...shortcomings against NDSU were because we spent too much time focusing on the run (per our HC)...

I lean neither way. If SHSU has very little pass game then they must rely on their run game right? Brown has thrown to 11 guys this year and will throw to 10 or more a game. Willie Landers will light up SHSU tonight. He's evolved into a talented receiver...much needed..just like Fairooz last year.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I lean neither way. If SHSU has very little pass game then they must rely on their run game right? Brown has thrown to 11 guys this year and will throw to 10 or more a game. Willie Landers will light up SHSU tonight. He's evolved into a talented receiver...much needed..just like Fairooz last year.

Not really sure what to expect tonight...I think it's going to be close, but then again, we can be surprised (see Nich over NWST right now).

SHSU needs to come ready to play, need some banged up guys to make their return and get the secondary to step up for some huge stops (our true freshman had an INT last week against OKST)...

I love the Southland! This is already turning into an interesting weekend...

BEAR
October 6th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Well, UCA's run game took a hit when two of our RBs were in a head on car accident this week. Not sure on their status for game time. But when something like that happens, and the worst possibilities come to mind, it makes football look pretty unimportant. Pass game looks good if the receivers have matured to the point they did the last few games. Defense is horrible but they are young and their heart is strong. This might be one of the most talented but young teams UCA has had the ill fortune to lose so many games with. xlolx
Oh yeah, our kicker James Paul will have no problem tonight. 8 or more NFL scouts have been in to see him. xthumbsupx

JoshUCA
October 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Grimes has been cleard to play, and Ceaser will travel but is listed as out for the game.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM
TT's Predictions
SLC Record: 4-1
Overall: 25-10

3-1 with the lone loss coming in the SHSU/UCA game...

BEAR
October 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Well, Sam got 7 off a turnover to start the game...that had me worried. Looks like Nathan had a great game. Defenses both had problems but I think UCAs came out a little better. That was probably the difference in the game..plus a week off and not playing a Bowl team. xlolx

blackfordpu
October 7th, 2007, 10:06 AM
The game was over as soon as the Kats' flag got wrapped up in Sammy's four wheeler axel.:(

Freightliner
October 7th, 2007, 11:12 AM
TT's Predictions
SLC Record: 4-1
Overall: 25-10

3-1 with the lone loss coming in the SHSU/UCA game...

Ditto's here

SLC: 4-1
Overall: 27-8