PDA

View Full Version : SLC and What's Needed to Make 7 Div I Wins

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Please note in the below breakdown that the teams that had to win seven of seven games to reach the seven game minimum, I noted that they must win the SLC auto-bid considering a 7-0 record in SLC play would mean an SLC title.

Other than those teams that must win the SLC auto-bid, every team except McNeese must win six of their seven remaining games. UCA is already ineligible for playoffs due to transition requirements.

Team by Team Breakdown of who can reach seven Div I wins, the minimum needed for an at-large bid to Div I playoffs...

McN 4-0 - 3 Div I wins, seven games remaining
Chance at Playoffs: Must win atleast four of seven

Nich 3-1 - 1 Div I win, seven games remaining
Chance at Playoffs: Must win six of seven

NWST 1-3 - 1 Div I win, seven games remaining (includes one FBS game)
Chance at Playoffs: Must win six of seven.

SELA 1-3 - 0 Div I wins, seven games remaining
Chance at Playoffs: Must win SLC auto-bid

SFA 0-4 - 0 Div I wins, seven games remaining
Chance at Playoffs: Must win SLC auto bid

SHSU 2-2 - 0 Div I wins, seven games remaining
Chance at Playoffs: Must win SLC auto-bid

TXST 1-3 - 1 Div I win, seven games remaining
Chance at Playoffs: Must win six of seven

UCA 1-3 - 1 Div I win, seven games remaining
Chance at Playoffs: Ineligible due to NCAA transition rules

blackfordpu
September 29th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Bearkats just need to run the table so there is no questioning who the best in the SLC is.

GrizDen
September 29th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Unless McNeese takes care of business, I predict a lot of complaints on AGS about the auto-bid from the SLC in 2007.

blackfordpu
September 29th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Unless McNeese takes care of business, I predict a lot of complaints on AGS about the auto-bid from the SLC in 2007.

What?

GrizDen
September 29th, 2007, 11:14 PM
What?

Further explaination. Let's say McNeese doesn't win the SLC title..with the numerous conference games that are left, it's not out of the realm of possibility that a 7-4 team with only 6 D1 wins the SLC. If that were to happen, be bubble teams at 8-3 or 7-4 with 7 D1 wins that got passed over for the playoffs that would keep the boards busy clamoring to get rid of the auto-bids.

Am I crazy for thinking this? I know we've got a lot of football left to play, so who knows how this will all shake out.

McNeese_beat
September 30th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Further explaination. Let's say McNeese doesn't win the SLC title..with the numerous conference games that are left, it's not out of the realm of possibility that a 7-4 team with only 6 D1 wins the SLC. If that were to happen, be bubble teams at 8-3 or 7-4 with 7 D1 wins that got passed over for the playoffs that would keep the boards busy clamoring to get rid of the auto-bids.

Am I crazy for thinking this? I know we've got a lot of football left to play, so who knows how this will all shake out.

Like McNeese last year????

The SLC has been a disappointment this year, SFA and Texas State in particular. The only way the SLC gets an at-large this year, I do believe, is if it's McNeese or a 9-2 Nicholls with only a loss to McNeese.

slycat
September 30th, 2007, 02:07 AM
texas st will have to get the auto bid to get in. the loss the acu hurt us and we wont get in even if we have 7 wins.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Oh, hush up! I'd say a team from the SLC with less than the seven Div I wins would be just as competitive as those bubble teams. Didn't a few years ago, a Nicholls team with a 5-4 record, win the SLC, go to Furman and probably should've beat them (lost 14-12 because they could not punch the ball in the end zone on a short goal play).

Problem with the SLC has been scheduling to put us in position. Part of it has been the financial situation post-Katrina which has forced a few team's hand, the other side of it has been teams unwillingness to travel to SLC foes with a home-and-home (it's been getting worse and worse) and such.

Next year, the SWAC's nine-game mandate ends and hopefully they give us some more games -- which seems to be the case. SHSU got screwed this year when Missouri State bought us out (they had an FBS game) meaning the Bears never traveled to SHSU in our four year home-and-home (2005, they skipped out due to Hurricane Rita and couldn't help us make alternative plans) which meant we had to get a second Div II opponent (Angelo State).

I'm rooting for the SLC to get two bids. I really want McNeese to go 5-2 or 6-1 and have another SLC team run the table or 6-1 so they can go to the playoffs. SLC needs to have a strong showing and show the rest of the FCS that this conference is a contender.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2007, 08:37 AM
The SLC has been a disappointment this year, SFA and Texas State in particular. The only way the SLC gets an at-large this year, I do believe, is if it's McNeese or a 9-2 Nicholls with only a loss to McNeese.

Not exactly...

McNeese can go 8-3 (4-3 at worse in conference) and someone else can win the SLC to get the auto-bid (remember, does not take seven Div I wins -- you just need the conference auto-bid to get in).

Ideally, McNeese would go 5-2 or 6-1 in conference to have a 9-2 or 10-1 record while someone else takes the SLC auto-bid. I think McNeese is a strong enough team to win the auto-bid, but when it comes down, I'd rather two SLC teams get into the playoffs, so this is what I'm rooting for.

FormerPokeCenter
September 30th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Not exactly...

McNeese can go 8-3 (4-3 at worse in conference) and someone else can win the SLC to get the auto-bid (remember, does not take seven Div I wins -- you just need the conference auto-bid to get in).

Ideally, McNeese would go 5-2 or 6-1 in conference to have a 9-2 or 10-1 record while someone else takes the SLC auto-bid. I think McNeese is a strong enough team to win the auto-bid, but when it comes down, I'd rather two SLC teams get into the playoffs, so this is what I'm rooting for.

Uh, that's exactly the scenario he outlined, except that he points out that if Nicholls doesn't win the conference, it would have a shot at an auto-bid if it's only other loss were to McNeese, since it's got a good record at this point, and a nice D-1A win...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Uh, that's exactly the scenario he outlined, except that he points out that if Nicholls doesn't win the conference, it would have a shot at an auto-bid if it's only other loss were to McNeese, since it's got a good record at this point, and a nice D-1A win...

Your right -- misread it.

Sorry about that McNeese_Beat. What's the latest on Leonard by the way?

McNeese_beat
September 30th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Your right -- misread it.

Sorry about that McNeese_Beat. What's the latest on Leonard by the way?

Doesn't look good, but let's wait for the smoke to clear. :( I'll wait for Monday before I make any grand declarations.

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Doesn't look good, but let's wait for the smoke to clear. :( I'll wait for Monday before I make any grand declarations.

Did I read another post correctly that Whitehead is out as well?

McTailGator
September 30th, 2007, 05:15 PM

WHY?

3 of the last 5 years has seen SLC teams in the Semi Finals and one of those years saw an SLC team in the finals.

Wanna come down to the Gulf Coast for a series of Home and home's and see if ya'll can withstand the beatings from the atheltes that play in this conference week after week, with out seeing your players puking all over the field? Don't think so.

McTailGator
September 30th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Yes,

You are crazy about thinking that with the Griz's schedule. Face it, the Griz IS the BSC. You are there year after year, because your conference is really the weak one. Come down to the Gulf Coast an play our teams week after week.

patssle
September 30th, 2007, 05:32 PM
The Big Sky is weak...but the SLC has been dissapointing the past 2 seasons (starting with this one). I do think McNeese and SHSU have great shots at going deep in the playoffs this year.

Ideally for the conference...SHSU should beat McNeese so we can win conference and McNeese gets the at-large bid...so we can have 2 teams in playoffs.

That's what I'm hoping for anyways :D

But if SHSU loses, we are done for the season.

GrizDen
September 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM
This post is in response to both McTailGator and patssle

I wasn't trying to get into a which conference is better conversation or even suggesting that the SLC doesn't deserve an auto-bid. It was more of a prediction of the mess that could happen depending on how badly the SLC teams beat up on each other.

I find it intersting that every fan base is a bit "homer-ish" in the respect that their conference does or doesn't get...myself included. The Big Sky seems to beat up on each other pretty good, just like they do in the Colonial, Southern, Southland and Gateway. I think that just speaks to the continuing growth of FCS football.

I've always respected the Southland and find myself rooting for them in the Playoffs when there is not a Big Sky conference team involved. Heck...we West of the Mississippi conferences need to stick together.xthumbsupx

I've started a nice little research project regarding the Big Sky vs. the Southland over the last 10 years. From what I'm seeing, I think the Big Sky comes out looking pretty good head-to-head. I won't be sharing this as a "BSC is better than the Southland Conference"...but more as a let the facts speak for themselves presentation.

I'm just too tired to finish it tonight. I'll do my best to have it up by 9pm PST on Oct. 1st.

Try not to loose sleep in anticipation for the results of my research project. :D

patssle
September 30th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I've started a nice little research project regarding the Big Sky vs. the Southland

Let's see 2 final results...one with Montana and one without ;)

Its no doubt SLC schools have had problems with Montana, but we certainly arn't the only ones. Honestly I have no idea how the SLC has done vs. the BSC besides at Montana.

Besides of course...one of the greastest comebacks in college football...SHSH vs EWU :)

Tod
October 1st, 2007, 01:44 AM
I think GrizDen started off his explanation well but kind of blew it with the "research" thing. But that's just my opinion, he is his own person and I think I know what he's saying.

The Big Sky and the Southland both have one team that is dominant, and both have teams that year-in and year-out do well, and on occasion make the playoffs.

I think (just guessing) that if you compared the BSC in the playoffs without Montana and compared the Southland in the playoffs without McNeese, you'd find we're pretty comparable.

We're both good conferences that would like to see some improvements on depth.

xpeacex

TexasTerror
October 1st, 2007, 03:07 PM
Bottom line -- SLC needs to fix up the scheduling problems and it seems the SWAC may be the shot in the bottom that the SLC teams need to get more Div I teams on the slate.

With the end of the mandate, hopefully the SWAC schools will help our scheduling out. With the boost from the LA government, perhaps the LA schools can avoid scheduling as many FBS as they have been.

blackfordpu
October 1st, 2007, 09:24 PM
BSC teams just need to drop some and come down to the SLC for a little southern hospitality. :)

GrizDen
October 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM
I think GrizDen started off his explanation well but kind of blew it with the "research" thing. But that's just my opinion, he is his own person and I think I know what he's saying.

The Big Sky and the Southland both have one team that is dominant, and both have teams that year-in and year-out do well, and on occasion make the playoffs.

I think (just guessing) that if you compared the BSC in the playoffs without Montana and compared the Southland in the playoffs without McNeese, you'd find we're pretty comparable.

We're both good conferences that would like to see some improvements on depth.

xpeacex

Tod...my man, why would you say I blew it with the whole research thing? My goal with the forthcoming post is to educate us all, and that shouldn't be a bad thing.

As for the rest of your post, I agree wholeheartedly. I guess it's just the numbers geek in me that has made me seek out some additional results.

I'm not going to meet my self-imposed deadline of 9pm PST tonight, but my goal is to finish it before I hit the hay.

FYI - I'll post the information as it's own thread so as not to hijack this one.