PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network capsules

Killsback
September 28th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Does the Sports network do their game by game capsules anymore? If so can someone post a link to see this week's games.

AlphaSigMD
September 28th, 2007, 10:56 AM
They still do, they just have a different schedule than previous, because of the departure of Matt and arrival of Dave.

Dave writes some very fine articles, but I used to set my clock and schedule around reading the website on Tuesday's and Thursday's when the old articles would appear back in those days...

gsugt1
September 28th, 2007, 12:29 PM
The predictions now come out after the game. And he still misses a good bit of them.

putter
September 28th, 2007, 12:35 PM
The predictions now come out after the game. And he still misses a good bit of them.

xlolx xlolx

bluehenbillk
September 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM
They're up now, good writeup on the playoff possible expansion.

GannonFan
September 28th, 2007, 01:39 PM
They're up now, good writeup on the playoff possible expansion.

Agreed, interesting write-up on the playoff expansions, especially as it relates to the Ivy League. The idea that they didn't want to join the playoffs and potentially suffer a big first round loss to a CAA or SoCon power is interesting, and it's interesting that they view a playoff expansion as a chance to play a much lesser team at home and win at least one game in the playoffs is interesting.

aceinthehole
September 28th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Agreed, interesting write-up on the playoff expansions, especially as it relates to the Ivy League. The idea that they didn't want to join the playoffs and potentially suffer a big first round loss to a CAA or SoCon power is interesting, and it's interesting that they view a playoff expansion as a chance to play a much lesser team at home and win at least one game in the playoffs is interesting.

Yet another "reporter" adds personal commentary to a news story. xnonox

For at least a couple of years, the NEC had lobbied - sometimes through obnoxious means - to be included as an automatic qualifier. But it wasn't as simple as just adding a ninth auto bid and taking away an at-large slot.

Care to detail what "obnoxious means" the NEC used? xrolleyesx

GannonFan
September 28th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Yet another "reporter" adds personal commentary to a news story. xnonox

Care to detail what "obnoxious means" the NEC used? xrolleyesx

You're not rebuking me are you???? xconfusedx xconfusedx

aceinthehole
September 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM
You're not rebuking me are you???? xconfusedx xconfusedx

No, not at all. You brought up the article on expansion which I just read. xthumbsupx

It was directed at the author! He may think certain fans are obnoxious :D , but I think we'd all be interested to know how the NEC conference leadership was obnoxious in their request.

Our former Commissioner is now part of the "old guard" in the SoCon, so I know he carriers a lot of respect. xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
September 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM

Coaches, players and athletic directors from around the Ivy League have been sounding off that it is time for the presidents of the Ancient Eight to revisit their archaic ban on postseason play.
The Ancient Eight. I love it.

http://bestsmileys.com/halloween1/13.gif

brownbear
September 28th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'm really hoping the Ivy League decides to play in the tournament. As they said in the article, people are afraid the Ivy teams would get killed, but that is what happens usually in March Madness, but then occasionally you get a good team like Princeton in '96 and '98, and Penn in '79, that make big runs in the tournament. The same would probably happen eventually in the football playoffs. The idea of competing for a national championship in football would bring out a lot more interest in Ivy League schools.

TheValleyRaider
September 28th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I'm really hoping the Ivy League decides to play in the tournament. As they said in the article, people are afraid the Ivy teams would get killed, but that is what happens usually in March Madness, but then occasionally you get a good team like Princeton in '96 and '98, and Penn in '79, that make big runs in the tournament. The same would probably happen eventually in the football playoffs. The idea of competing for a national championship in football would bring out a lot more interest in Ivy League schools.

So now all we need to do is lower interest in the Ivy schools from the general population to induce them into the postseason :p

brownbear
September 28th, 2007, 11:23 PM
So now all we need to do is lower interest in the Ivy schools from the general population to induce them into the postseason :p

I meant interest and school spirit among students at the schools.

UAalum72
October 1st, 2007, 10:09 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/AGN4104876.htm

For at least a couple of years, the NEC had lobbied - sometimes through obnoxious means - - to be included as an automatic qualifier.

This is supposed to be 'news'? Maybe this clown could specify what was 'obnoxious' about applying for an autobid, especially since the commissioner for some of those years is now head of his precious SoCon.

aceinthehole
October 1st, 2007, 10:26 AM
I brought up the same thing in another thread.

See: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=668193#post668193

----

It amazes me what passes as "journalism" regarding I-AA. Writers think they can editorialize news stories.

So Mr. David Coulson, FCS Executive Director, care to provide an example of the "obnoxious means" that the NEC officials used to lobby the NCAA?

I'm sure John Iamarino, Brenda Weare, and Ron Rater would like to know what you think was so "obnoxious." I know that NEC fans like UAalum72, Dane96, BobbyMo, rmutv, Seahawks Fan, and other would like to know how you came to this conclusion.

BTW - I sent this article to the NEC office for their reaction and response, I suggest other NEC fans do the same.

th0m
October 1st, 2007, 10:40 AM
All that talk and speculation about the Ivy is great and all, but without a credible source, I'm still calling BS until I see some sort of official statement. Talk about the Ivy possibly joining the playoffs at this point is great and good material on a message board for speculative reasons, but adds nothing for a Sports Network article without a source, IMO.

For the rest its a good article summing up the possibilities and implications.

McNeese_beat
October 1st, 2007, 11:07 AM

----

It amazes me what passes as "journalism" regarding I-AA. Writers think they can editorialize news stories.

So Mr. David Coulson, FCS Executive Director, care to provide an example of the "obnoxious means" that the NEC officials used to lobby the NCAA?

I'm sure John Iamarino, Brenda Weare, and Ron Rater would like to know what you think was so "obnoxious." I know that NEC fans like UAalum72, Dane96, BobbyMo, rmutv, Seahawks Fan, and other would like to know how you came to this conclusion.

BTW - I sent this article to the NEC office for their reaction and response, I suggest other NEC fans do the same.

In Dave's (and the sports network's) defense, this is an opinion column. Heck, you don't get score predictions in straight news stories after all...

Whether it was Moss, Dougherty or Coulson, you're going to get opinion and first-person journalism (i.e., an account of the writer's experience) in the sports network's weekly I-AA rundown. Always has been that way. It has made for entertaining reading over the years as a opposed to a straight-news approach.

Having said that, it would be nice to know what exactly he meant by "obnoxious."

Dane96
October 2nd, 2007, 01:41 PM

----

I know it has been sent to Albany by another poster. I am sure Dr. McElroy, a top-leader of NCAA committees...and Bob Ford, the former AFCA President and one of the all-time respected coaches-- Both of whom lobbied for the bid, would be glad to know they are obnoxious.

Obnoxious, is small town reporter who adds hubris to his articles and passes it off as the gospel. The title "EXECUTIVE" does not gie you the right to attack the credibility of others.

In fact, I would suggest looking at the mirror.

That comment...was obnoxious-- The commisioner and schools were not.

Like I said a long-time ago: THE NEC COULD HAVE SUED IF THEY CHOSE TO!

And that...is a fact.

Dane96
October 2nd, 2007, 01:45 PM
In Dave's (and the sports network's) defense, this is an opinion column. Heck, you don't get score predictions in straight news stories after all...

Whether it was Moss, Dougherty or Coulson, you're going to get opinion and first-person journalism (i.e., an account of the writer's experience) in the sports network's weekly I-AA rundown. Always has been that way. It has made for entertaining reading over the years as a opposed to a straight-news approach.

Having said that, it would be nice to know what exactly he meant by "obnoxious."

Yes, but we were also told, in the past that our REPORTERS spoke with the powers that be at the NEC and member schools and were TOLD the following: THE NEC would not give scholarships; the Gridiron Classic contract could not be broken; The GIC Commisioners would not think about moving the game...or sending second place teams; An expanded playoffs were never happening; the NEC would not be getting an autobid; etc.

While the last one is still tentative...all the above were proven otherwise. It seems as though our REPORTERS perceptions...are clouded by the same misguided and foggy logic of the ANCIENT 8 schools: FEAR OF CHANGE!

putter
October 2nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
The IVY excuses are stupid.

Football takes less time away from academics than basketball.

Harvard has a $26 billion endowment and Yale has a $17 billion endowment. What are they worried about travel costs etc? They don't have to charge tuition if they don't want to. Give the kids an opportunity to play for a NC! They deserve it.

Dane96
October 2nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Well said!!!!! Here is a little anecdote for you. After graduating, I applied for, and was in the final 2, a job in the Princeton athletics dept. I went down on my interview, met a few people in the Natatorium (where my office was to be) and then was brought to see the AD. The AD intro'd himself and before I could speak said "There are changes to the way an athletic communications office is run these days. We are Princeton...we are part of the IVY LEAGUE...we have followed a plan for 200 years...it is the Princeton way...and don't think you are going to change that."

Suffice to say, that was the second time Princeton F'd me.

They are so anti-change.

brownbear
October 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
At least the Brown person in the article supported Ivies in the playoffs.

I thought the original problem was that they hated the NCAA for putting them in I-AA, so they decided not to participate in their playoffs. By now, those presidents and ADs are long gone, so who is still against this?

McNeese_beat
October 2nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
Yes, but we were also told, in the past that our REPORTERS spoke with the powers that be at the NEC and member schools and were TOLD the following: THE NEC would not give scholarships; the Gridiron Classic contract could not be broken; The GIC Commisioners would not think about moving the game...or sending second place teams; An expanded playoffs were never happening; the NEC would not be getting an autobid; etc.

While the last one is still tentative...all the above were proven otherwise. It seems as though our REPORTERS perceptions...are clouded by the same misguided and foggy logic of the ANCIENT 8 schools: FEAR OF CHANGE!

I haven't decided whether I'm for or against this playoff expansion, but I will say this: I'm peeved at the inconsistency of it.

For years, I have advocated moving the playoffs back a week, getting the first round — when eight of the 15 playoff games are played — out of the Thanksgiving weekend. My argument was this: Thanksgiving weekend is a bad weekend for playoffs because people have other plans associated with the holiday. HOWEVER, it's a GREAT weekend for rivalry games because those are events that people can schedule their holiday weekend around well in advance. A Montana-Montana St. game can be a family event all over the state, for example. Families can't, however, schedule their holiday around a playoff game that may or may not, happen. That's why first-round playoff games always have poor attendance while pre-scheduled Thanksgiving rivalry games, like the Bayou Classic, are HUGELY popular. It would be great to have some traditional rivalries played on that weekend, followed by an early December playoff opening round.

And a good bi-product of the move would be that the SWAC could be involved in the playoffs because the Bayou Classic would no longer be the same weekend as the start of post-season. That's not the motive behind moving, but it would have been a pleasant addition.

The excuse has always been that they CAN'T push the playoffs back because it was completely unacceptable to have the championship game around Christmas, when the bowl season is nearing full bloom.

Now, all of a sudden, playing a late December championship game is acceptable? What changed?

I say if you are going to expand the playoffs, you should still start in early December and play your championship game sometime in the days between New Year's and the BCS championship game.

bonarae
October 3rd, 2007, 04:43 AM
Speaking of the Ivy League:

The playoff participation, every Ivy fan agrees, is something we have wished for in a REALLY long time. But when you look into any of these universities' administration, it is not in their outlook.

Something radical has to be done to encourage the administration to lift the ban.