PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Gateway Brethren

bluehenbillk
September 28th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Since they're in your neck of the woods: Why does Grand Valley State stay at a D2 level? I think they could come up & compete with the 1-AA elite right away. Any thoughts?

Cap'n Cat
September 28th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Since they're in your neck of the woods: Why does Grand Valley State stay at a D2 level? I think they could come up & compete with the 1-AA elite right away. Any thoughts?

Well, GVSU is next to Grand Rapids, MI, not as close to GFC as you think, Bill. Six hours, or so, to Youngstown, which would be the closest GFC/FCS, I believe. Similar distance to Terre Haute? More?

I lived there for a number of years and all I've heard is that they're happy where they are, kinda like UNI in FCS. Never been any talk about them AFAIK.

And, yes, I think they could compete.

:)

GannonFan
September 28th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Well, GVSU is next to Grand Rapids, MI, not as close to GFC as you think, Bill. Nine hours, or so, to Youngstown, which would be the closest GFC/FCS, I believe. Similar distance to Terre Haute?

I lived there for a number of years and all I've heard is that they're happy where they are, kinda like UNI in FCS.

And, yes, I think they could compete.

:)

Is distance that much of a concern, though? Forgive my lack of geographical sense (remember, I'm an East Coaster) but Youngstown is already pretty far from most of the GFC anyway. And NDSU and SDSU are not exactly going to be right down the street from the bulk of the GFC either - you can't get away from the fact that things are a little spread out anyway. But I agree with you on the interest, standpoint, DII football in the Midwest is plenty good as it is and they may like it just fine.

Cap'n Cat
September 28th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Is distance that much of a concern, though? Forgive my lack of geographical sense (remember, I'm an East Coaster) but Youngstown is already pretty far from most of the GFC anyway. And NDSU and SDSU are not exactly going to be right down the street from the bulk of the GFC either - you can't get away from the fact that things are a little spread out anyway. But I agree with you on the interest, standpoint, DII football in the Midwest is plenty good as it is and they may like it just fine.

Plenty of DII action for them all around them.

Youngstown - they are going to leave for the MAC (if you listen to their fans), so the distance thing is irrelevant as the GFC, with her new additions, will be a true western/midwestern/plains, Missouri Valley-type of gig. The sooner YSU goes, too, the better. No one digs them, they don't dig us.

If GVSU does go to FCS (in fifteen flippin' years), and YSU doesn't go to the MACV, they can form a super conference with Youngstown and Saginaw Valley State, Michigan Tech, Kent, Mt. Union, Alma, Adrian, Slippery Rock, Heidelberg and Central Michigan. I don't give a *****.

GVSU is off anyone's FCS radar.

unigriff
September 28th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Adding NDSU and SDSU is good geographically.

YSU would be the furtherst away with Ind. State 2nd. for us Panther fans However, the trip from NDSU to SIU is a jaunt in itself. I believe there was talk of YSU leaving the Gateway when WKU went to the FBS, which geographically would make this conference easier to travel for away fans. It was only 4 hours from UNI to the SDSU game this year and its only 4 hours or less to Ill. State tomorrow.

blk
September 28th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I think they'll stay D2 as long as they are winning National Championships nearly every year.

brownbear
September 28th, 2007, 07:15 PM
How good are they at other sports? Remember that to play football Division I, you have to play everything Division I. This is the same issue with Mount Union, great at football, mediocre at other sports.

BearsCountry
September 28th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Grand Valley is stacked across the board. Conference thing is their biggest problem. Not a lot of FCS schools in that area.

brownbear
September 28th, 2007, 07:34 PM
PFL has 3 teams that aren't as far as Gateway teams: Valparaiso, Dayton, and Butler, but I don't know if the PFL would be attractive to Grand Valley. Though the closest team in the Gateway is 300 miles away, the farthest teams (ND State and SD State) are under 600 miles away. Think of teams in conferences like the Big Sky, Great West, and PFL, which are thousands of miles apart.

pantherfan
September 28th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Adding NDSU and SDSU is good geographically.

YSU would be the furtherst away with Ind. State 2nd. for us Panther fans However, the trip from NDSU to SIU is a jaunt in itself. I believe there was talk of YSU leaving the Gateway when WKU went to the FBS, which geographically would make this conference easier to travel for away fans. It was only 4 hours from UNI to the SDSU game this year and its only 4 hours or less to Ill. State tomorrow.

Try telling that to Youngstown and Indiana State fans...xcoffeex

unigriff
September 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM
well its assuming YSU goes elsewhere...

brownbear
September 28th, 2007, 08:55 PM
and who knows how much longer Indiana State will be in the Gateway...

skinny_uncle
September 28th, 2007, 09:46 PM
and who knows how much longer Indiana State will be in the Gateway...

I don't think they are going anywhere. All the other MVC teams who play scholarship football are in the Gateway. The Sycamores might be down the last few years but these things run in cycles. Back in the early '80s, Indiana State made a couple of trips to the playoffs.

brownbear
September 28th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Yes, but if it continues for several more years, then you have to think they'll evaluate whether they should be in the Gateway. Especially with how strong the Gateway is becoming.

pantherfan
September 28th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Yes, but if it continues for several more years, then you have to think they'll evaluate whether they should be in the Gateway. Especially with how strong the Gateway is becoming.

Every conference needs an InSU or two... Makes teams like Missouri State and Western Illinois feel good about themselves at least once a season!;) xlolx

saluki_in_ohio
September 29th, 2007, 01:09 AM
well its assuming YSU goes elsewhere...

For YSU, it is the Gateway or nothing.

The MAC isn't going to take another Ohio school into the conference.

Poly Pigskin
September 29th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Think of teams in conferences like the Big Sky, Great West, and PFL, which are thousands of miles apart.

Excellent point. Geography should not be the limiting factor because all of the western schools have much bigger travel issues than anyone east of the Mississippi. If GVSU is winning titles all the time, that should be a reason for them to move up, not stay where they are. The gap between DII and FCS is relatively small, I'm sure they would be a Top 25 fixture much like NDSU and UCD have been during their transitions.

BearsCountry
September 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Every conference needs an InSU or two... Makes teams like Missouri State and Western Illinois feel good about themselves at least once a season!;) xlolx

Wait a year or two and Missouri State wont be just beating In St in the Gateway.

brownbear
September 29th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Indiana State loses 72-10 to Southern Illinois.