PDA

View Full Version : UMass-Richmond images

Umass74
September 2nd, 2005, 07:25 AM
As I said in the Richmond-UMass game thread, I have a number of game images up on my UMass blog.

Here (http://www.umass74.blogspot.com/) :)

mlbowl
September 2nd, 2005, 07:29 AM
Holy crap...what was the attendance?.....it looked like around 20 or so

Umass74
September 2nd, 2005, 07:37 AM
Around 6,000.

The home stands filled up more later.

saint0917
September 2nd, 2005, 07:56 AM
As I said in the Richmond-UMass game thread, I have a number of game images up on my UMass blog.

Here (http://www.umass74.blogspot.com/) :)

Thanks for the pics 74. :nod:

Umass74
September 2nd, 2005, 08:03 AM
I've got more, but I've got to sort through them. The low light level caused slow shutter speeds making for serious blur... :o

mlbowl
September 2nd, 2005, 08:48 AM
Those are some nice pics...I was just a little surprised at all the empty seats

Hoo-ah
September 2nd, 2005, 08:58 AM
That was my third UM/UR game in Richmond and it was the smallest home crowd of all three.

Thanks for the pictures 74; especially the one with me in it. :D :D :D

It was fun talking I-AA football with the ones that actually left the tailgating area and entered the stadium. :bow:

saint0917
September 2nd, 2005, 08:58 AM

Students must not be back in school yet, Umass students come in this weekend.

Umass74
September 2nd, 2005, 09:06 AM

Richmond in the past would seriously over report their attendance. One time I was there, I swear we had more on the visitor's side than on the home side and Richmond reported the attendance as 11,000.

There must have been 6,000 people out of their seats getting a hotdog :p

They've been better at reporting lately...

mlbowl
September 2nd, 2005, 09:10 AM
Richmond in the past would seriously over report their attendance. One time I was there, I swear we had more on the visitor's side than on the home side and Richmond reported the attendance as 11,000.

Did UMass fans outnumber Richmond fans last night?

Umass74
September 2nd, 2005, 09:17 AM
No, Richmond was in the majority by a comfortable margin.

Pretty good UMass turnout for a middle-of-the-week away game.

P.S. Richmond needs a pep band. The high school band tried hard, but it ain't the same...

Keydet90
September 2nd, 2005, 10:11 AM
Nearly every game I've been to at UR (3 or 4 over the years) we (VMI) have outnumbered their fans. The last one was in 2003 and I think reported attendance was 13,000 and I'd say 7-8K were VMI fans. UR has historically had poor fan and student support although a couple alumni told me it has been improving in recent years. Also note that UR is building a new on campus stadium to replace the current home. Current home has a 21K capacity and great access to the interstate but other than that it is a relic in need of a face lift. The new UR stadium will I think be around 10-12K capacity.

As for bands I don't think UR has ever had one. UVA has disbanded their band also. VMI has a cadet band and the HBCUs in state have outstanding bands as well but never saw one for UR.

DP '90

bkrownd
September 2nd, 2005, 12:41 PM

I hope you know that made me really jealous. :mad: My Amherst trip this fall is unfortunately on an away-game weekend. :( I was thinking of renting a car to go to the Harvard-Yale game, but a day in Amherst is too valuable to lose.

Umass74
September 2nd, 2005, 05:37 PM
Too bad you're not coming on 11/25 to 11/26.

UMass hoops is playing UAB at the Civic Center for the Tip-Off classic. The next day UMass hockey plays at home.

And, hopefully we'll be hosting a I-AA playoff game the same day.

'Course your spouse might not be pleased with you attending about 12 hours of sports in a day-and-a-half :D

umassfan
September 2nd, 2005, 11:45 PM

Hey can you PM me over on the UMass board... i am not allowed to use pms over here anymore.

Umass74
September 3rd, 2005, 07:01 AM
Umass fan:

I can't PM you on the hoops board. I'm on the road and my e-mail is down.

My laptop does not have the hoops board password (does anyone else have trouble keeping track of all the passwords needed?), and without e-mail, I can't request a reminder.

I'll be back after the Colgate game (with Colgate images) on 09/13. I'll PM you then.

DTSpider
September 3rd, 2005, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately the stadium was empty on Thursday. Given the huge stadium it always looked empty. In addition to the 22,000 actual seats there is room for several thousand more on the grounds. Since you can see from the tailgate area a lot of people stay out there for the first quarter (if not the whole game). Add in areas for the NASCAR racing simulation and kids play area (also areas from which you can see the field) and the stands look even more empty. As to the visitors, it looked like there were maybe 35 people on that side Thursday night. If you sit over there it seems full because there are only about 20 rows, but from the home side it always looks empty (only except is for one VMI game in 2003).

The stadium was built in 1929 and is a relic from when UR played in the Southern conference and later as an independent 1A program. Through the mid-80s it often had games with more than 20,000 people there when we played teams like Virginia Tech, West Virginia, etc. The stadium actually is expandable up to 40,000 seats if needed.

Very tough to fill for a school of 2,800 students. If we get 700 students at games you're talking 1/4th of our students, not a bad ratio. As the school has "improved" less students have been from the VA area. Only about 35% percent of our alumni live in the Richmond area so we're heavily dependent on the general population. Given the new stadiums and improved programs at UVA and Tech it makes it a much tougher draw.