PDA

View Full Version : NEC Looking At Expansion With Bryant/NJIT

rmutv
September 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Monmouth Fan posted this over at Don Hansen's forums, figured I'd pass it along.

Both Bryant University and the New Jersey Institute of Technology are exploring moves to the Northeast Conference. NJIT just moved up to D-1 and is playing a D-1 basketball schedule but currently does not offer football.

Bryant is a D-2 powerhouse.

http://www.projo.com/northwest/bryant/sp_bryant25_09-25-07_L0736UF.3425e28.html

Bryant has had extensive discussions with the Northeast Conference, which now includes 11 members: Central Connecticut, Fairleigh Dickinson, Long Island, Monmouth, Mount St. Mary’s, Quinnipiac, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, St. Francis (N.Y.), St. Francis (Pa.) and Wagner. Six of those schools, not including football-only member Albany, play football. A team of NEC officials visited Bryant last month. Expanding the NEC will be the major topic of discussion at a meeting of the conference’s presidents next month.

“Bryant is one of the schools our membership committee has explored,” said Ron Ratner, the NEC’s associate commissioner. “They’re a good fit because they have football, and they’d give us enough schools to form a men’s lacrosse program. It also has a beautiful campus and is a strong academic institution.”

The NEC also is considering adding the New Jersey Institute of Technology. Asked if the NEC’s presidents could vote to add either school next month, Ratner said, “You never know. There may be (a vote). Both schools would like an answer sooner than later.”

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2007, 06:25 PM
The Patriot League dithers again on expansion, and now it looks like both potential candidates will be joining the NEC. It makes you wonder if any teams are seen as potential members anymore.

BearsCountry
September 25th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Hmm looks like the NEC is protecting themselves if somebody leaves like Central Connecticut State.

rmutv
September 25th, 2007, 06:29 PM
The Patriot League dithers again on expansion, and now it looks like both potential candidates will be joining the NEC. It makes you wonder if any teams are seen as potential members anymore.

Do you think it's because the Patriot League wants teams that specifically fit their academic mold, or are they content with what they have, or is it something else altogether?

bison137
September 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM
NJIT maybe.

As for Bryant, unless they submitted their application to move to D1 before last month, they cannot even begin for four years. The 4-year moratorium put into place by the NCAA last month does not end until August 2011, and then it would take a few years to go through the exploratory and transitional phases.

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/DI_Membership_Info/Joining_DI/DIMoratoriumFAQ

Go...gate
September 25th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Posters on the VoyForums Board have stated today that VMI has expressed interest to the Patriot in joining, but that Colgate and Holy Cross are hung up on the travel issue. I absolutely do not believe that Colgate has a travel issue; they have been a traveling sports program for much of their history. Much as I hate to say it (Holy Cross is a fine old Colgate opponent), it would not surprise me if the Crusader administration is causing the problems, however. They seem unable to move in any direction when it comes to athletic policy. This is the same crap that got them left out of the ECAC Hockey Conference in favor of Quinnipiac.

Other posters on that board have brought Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) as a possible new conference member, but they would have to go Division I in all sports (they are now only Division I in Ice Hockey).

Go...gate
September 25th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Do you think it's because the Patriot League wants teams that specifically fit their academic mold, or are they content with what they have, or is it something else altogether?

Really hard to say, IMO.

aceinthehole
September 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Posters on the VoyForums Board have stated today that VMI has expressed interest to the Patriot in joining, but that Colgate and Holy Cross are hung up on the travel issue. I absolutely do not believe that Colgate has a travel issue; they have been a traveling sports program for much of their history. Much as I hate to say it (Holy Cross is a fine old Colgate opponent), it would not surprise me if the Crusader administration is causing the problems, however. They seem unable to move in any direction when it comes to athletic policy. This is the same crap that got them left out of the ECAC Hockey Conference in favor of Quinnipiac.

Other posters on that board have brought Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) as a possible new conference member, but they would have to go Division I in all sports (they are now only Division I in Ice Hockey).

I think both the promise of a new rink and fully schollys for the women's team gave QU the edge over HC for the ECAC. Not sure if that is what you meant re: the HC admin.

With the NCAA moritorium, RIT couldn't begin reclassifing for some years. Only the 20 expemted schools should realistically be on the radar other than schools in other conferences (like Marist).

BobbyMo
September 25th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Without looking very deep into it, sounds like Bryant would be a great addition with football and Lax.

FCSFAN
September 25th, 2007, 07:05 PM
The Patriot League dithers again on expansion, and now it looks like both potential candidates will be joining the NEC. It makes you wonder if any teams are seen as potential members anymore.Ivy is the ancient eight, PL is the senior seven, NEC could be the newbie nine!

Dane96
September 25th, 2007, 07:09 PM

Again, RPI cannot move up. There is a moratorium for 4 years. One sport does not allow you to break this.

RPI...is going nowhere right now.

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2007, 07:21 PM

It's called institutional inertia.

I don't buy the argument, if accurate, that Holy Cross is balking for travel reasons. They travel 400 miles to play American (Georgetown in the fall).

Go...gate
September 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Again, RPI cannot move up. There is a moratorium for 4 years. One sport does not allow you to break this.

RPI...is going nowhere right now.

Not disagreeing with you, Dane. Just saying it has been run up the flagpole.

rmutv
September 25th, 2007, 07:30 PM
It's called institutional inertia.

I don't buy the argument, if accurate, that Holy Cross is balking for travel reasons. They travel 400 miles to play American (Georgetown in the fall).

Institutional inertia is a great phrase to describe a lot of situations throughout the NCAA.

TheValleyRaider
September 25th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I think both the promise of a new rink and fully schollys for the women's team gave QU the edge over HC for the ECAC. Not sure if that is what you meant re: the HC admin.

Supposedly, the ECAC was set to invite Holy Cross on the condition that the Crusaders elevated their Women's hockey team to D-I (they're currently D-III). HC said no, and so the ECAC went to Q-pac. As great an addition as the Bobcats have been, I still sort of feel some disappointment that the Cross, being a premier academic school, was not taken. Given that I don't know what the real story is for certain, I'm not 100% sure who to be disappointed in, but either way, while Quinnipiac has been a great addition, I would have preferred Holy Cross xtwocentsx

As for further Patriot League expansion, I can see why Bryant jumped at the chance for the NEC if the PL wasn't answering their phone calls, so to speak. Really, VMI and Marist seem like the only two candidates that are currently D-I that would be both available and possibly accepted within the League. If there is some 'plan' out there for RPI going D-I and us taking them, I'd support that fully. Of course, that couldn't happen until after the moratorium is lifted (either by expiring or by other means), and 4 years is a long time to wait.

We shall see....

downbythebeach
September 25th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Take Bryant and NJIT, get rid of ST. Francis NY

danefan
September 25th, 2007, 10:44 PM

The MAAC has been calling St. Francis for years! I had hope, but its just not feasible. Why would a student-athlete choose St. Francis over another NEC or PFL team? No reason I can find unless they are local, but even then, go to RMU. Who knows.

I'd love Bryant in the NEC for football. They are just dumping money into that program and that is a good thing for the conference.

rmutv
September 25th, 2007, 10:46 PM

St. Francis NY or PA? I'd say the Red Flash in Loretto, PA are more in danger of dropping down a level than the Terriers (and their non-football-selves) in New York.

danefan
September 25th, 2007, 10:56 PM
haha. i forgot there were two St. Francis in the NEC. I was talking about the PA version. I know nothing about the NY version except they play in the worst basketball room (not even a gym) in the world.

rmutv
September 25th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Well, the Red Flash are in a pretty poor position in a lot of sports. If the NEC continues to up the amount of scholarships and SFPA continues to lose (and lose big), I can't help but see them drop down.

danefan
September 25th, 2007, 11:09 PM
What does St. Francis PA gain from being DI? They were a DI basketball school first, but they aren't even good at basketball are they? I would imagine they would be better of as an institution to compete at a DIII level along with other similarly situated schools like Susquenhanna, Kings College, Shipensburgh (spelling?), etc.... I think that leage is also called the MAAC ironically. Correction, its the Liberty League.

Dane96
September 25th, 2007, 11:12 PM
St. Francis of Brooklyn isn't in much better shape. They just dropped baseball...and the hoop program plays in a craphole.

Franks Tanks
September 26th, 2007, 07:34 AM

I personally wouldnt want NJIT- we dont need a mediocre basketball school that doesnt play football- All sports teams only!!! Bring on VMI

Cobblestone
September 26th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Bryant would be an asset to any FCS conference.

Ruler 79
September 26th, 2007, 08:21 AM
This may be the beginning of the end for St. Francis PA because I imagine the scholarship limit gets moved from 30 to 45 as rumored. This in turn makes NEC programs on par with scholarships with all FCS schools outside of Montana, Delaware, and App State. Just joking Montana, Delaware, and Appy!

I hope Stony Brook is still happy traveling down south! W/O an AQ!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Actually, I think they are... they're still on the path for an AQ for the Big South in a few years, in a conference that is growing. And the NEC appears to have swallowed their initial reservations about growth to take on NJIT and/or Bryant.

The only leagues which seem to be standing still are the Ivy and Patriot Leagues. xnonono2x

Seahawks Fan
September 26th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Bryant College seems a great fit for the NEC. I would love to see this.

downbythebeach
September 26th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Bryant seems like they want to go full scholly....they already have more schollies right now than prob many of the NEC teams......:(

downbythebeach
September 26th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I would like to say that if you peep the NEC commishioner's cup standings Saint Francis is near the top every year. (third last year, second the year before) Outside of b-ball and football we have some pretty decent teams....although men's volleyball may be our best (not really sure how that happened) though it is not an NEC sponsored sport, as the last two years they made it to the NCAA quarters

but anyway who really cares about field hockey or swimming.......

by the way though if you check the stats SFU football is on the rise.....seriously though, last year overall at 6th ahead of Wagner and SHU, the year before tied at 5th ahead of RMU. I would also say that I fully expect them to beat atleast one NEC team and LaSalle so no last place again this year........yay

danefan
September 26th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I would like to say that if you peep the NEC commishioner's cup standings Saint Francis is near the top every year. (third last year, second the year before) Outside of b-ball and football we have some pretty decent teams....although men's volleyball may be our best (not really sure how that happened) though it is not an NEC sponsored sport, as the last two years they made it to the NCAA quarters

but anyway who really cares about field hockey or swimming.......

by the way though if you check the stats SFU football is on the rise.....seriously though, last year overall at 6th ahead of Wagner and SHU, the year before tied at 5th ahead of RMU. I would also say that I fully expect them to beat atleast one NEC team and LaSalle so no last place again this year........yay

its more of a committment issue rather than a success issue. I just don't see St. Francis making a committment equal to RMU, Central, Albany or Monmouth. I also don't see it from Wagner or Sacred Heart.

footballguy7
September 26th, 2007, 02:33 PM

I am pretty sure they are as they want to give more scholarships than the 30 or 45 limited by the NEC.

Seawolf97
September 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I am pretty sure they are as they want to give more scholarships than the 30 or 45 limited by the NEC.

They should at the minimum of 57 by this time next year to compete in the Big South. There is also talk of an FBS game their 1st ever in 2010. I dont think there is any guarantee the NEC will be at 45 scholarships in 2008 or 2009..

Seawolf97
September 26th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Just a 2nd thought- I think Bryant is an all around program . They would be a welcome addition in any conferencexnodx

downbythebeach
September 26th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Bryant has a good bball team too.....

downbythebeach
September 26th, 2007, 09:17 PM
If SFU does give out the maximum schollies it will be to get up to the level where FBS teams can use the game as a counter, only to whore them$elve$ out in beatdowns by Ball State and Marshall.
but hey everyone else is doing it

Seawolf97
September 26th, 2007, 09:30 PM
If SFU does give out the maximum schollies it will be to get up to the level where FBS teams can use the game as a counter, only to whore them$elve$ out in beatdowns by Ball State and Marshall.
but hey everyone else is doing it

Exactly xnodx xnodx

Fresno St. Alum
September 27th, 2007, 12:15 AM
So the PL doesn't want Bryant because they are a newbie?

Since VMI is too far, Marist isn't a travel problem for the PL so what is the excuse for not adding them. Would they take both?

The NEC wants to go to 13 w/NJIT & Bryant. Is CCSU bolting for the AEC?

If Marist goes to the PL & CCSU goes to the AEC. The NEC will lose another b-ball only school to the MAAC and be back at 11.

New Haven is staying D-II and joining the NE-10 so no hope for them.

Franks Tanks
September 27th, 2007, 07:58 AM
So the PL doesn't want Bryant because they are a newbie?

Since VMI is too far, Marist isn't a travel problem for the PL so what is the excuse for not adding them. Would they take both?

The NEC wants to go to 13 w/NJIT & Bryant. Is CCSU bolting for the AEC?

If Marist goes to the PL & CCSU goes to the AEC. The NEC will lose another b-ball only school to the MAAC and be back at 11.

New Haven is staying D-II and joining the NE-10 so no hope for them.

Most PL people are luke-warm on Marist because of percieved academic and athletic inferiority, and lack of name reckionigition. We would probably be ok with them if they came on as a full member, but right now just for football they bring nothing to the table except a relatively live body. I would like VMI, the have a name and solid academics, and there FB team wont be a threat to win any league titles.

TigerFan17
September 27th, 2007, 04:42 PM
The PL is just waiting for Richmond to defect from the CAA. I see it brewing. xnodx

Seawolf97
September 27th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I was not aware America east started football yet ?

It didntxcoffeex

Go...gate
September 27th, 2007, 08:41 PM
The PL is just waiting for Richmond to defect from the CAA. I see it brewing. xnodx

That ship sailed long ago. xsmhx

Ken_Z
September 28th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Most PL people are luke-warm on Marist because of percieved academic and athletic inferiority, and lack of name reckionigition. We would probably be ok with them if they came on as a full member, but right now just for football they bring nothing to the table except a relatively live body. I would like VMI, the have a name and solid academics, and there FB team wont be a threat to win any league titles.

Marist is probably on the table, but only as a full member and with an increased financial commitment to football.

Ken_Z
September 28th, 2007, 08:23 AM

others will pooh pooh this, but you are partially correct. the error is assuming the PL is just waiting on this. all viable options continue to be explored. not taking Bryant or Marist for football only indicate the league has set its sights higher.

dgreco
September 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM
others will pooh pooh this, but you are partially correct. the error is assuming the PL is just waiting on this. all viable options continue to be explored. not taking Bryant or Marist for football only indicate the league has set its sights higher.
I think Bryant not having a strong liberal arts killed their chances. I am sure they rather be in the PL, but I have a feeling they will be more successful in the NEC.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Richmond would only have value as a football affiliate, which doesn't do much to further the goals of the Patriot League, although it would strengthen football. Marist, if accepted in all sports, would be a slight hit in football until they bumped up to AI/partial scholarships in football, but would be a large boon (IMO) to many sports across the board, not least men's and wmoen's basketball.

Any scholarship/AI changes are being made for their own sakes across all sports, not simply to strengthen one sport to attract other affiliates.

TigerFan17
September 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Richmond would only have value as a football affiliate, which doesn't do much to further the goals of the Patriot League, although it would strengthen football. Marist, if accepted in all sports, would be a slight hit in football until they bumped up to AI/partial scholarships in football, but would be a large boon (IMO) to many sports across the board, not least men's and wmoen's basketball.

Any scholarship/AI changes are being made for their own sakes across all sports, not simply to strengthen one sport to attract other affiliates.

All it would do is help football?? xeekx

Don't forget that though they hit a little skid, they generally field excellent basketball teams and are good at other sports too like field hockey.

Also, they have a very high academic profile.

They would add another region to the PL as well.

Plus, if anyones seen the new stadium they're building on campus (plans to be done 2010), it looks to be geared for the PL, not the CAA. Seems to be quite a juxtaposition with what ODU is doing.

And if Richmond does go, I think we will start to see some other changes made.

aceinthehole
September 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM
All it would do is help football?? xeekx

Don't forget that though they hit a little skid, they generally field excellent basketball teams and are good at other sports too like field hockey.

Also, they have a very high academic profile.

They would add another region to the PL as well.

Plus, if anyones seen the new stadium they're building on campus (plans to be done 2010), it looks to be geared for the PL, not the CAA. Seems to be quite a juxtaposition with what ODU is doing.

And if Richmond does go, I think we will start to see some other changes made.

I think the assumption is Richmond would NOT leave the A-10 for the PL in hoops (and other spots). The best case scenario is UR would join the Patriot for fb-only if the were no longer welcome in the CAA. They are just like Fordham, very happy in the A-10 for hoops.

Go...gate
September 28th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I think the assumption is Richmond would NOT leave the A-10 for the PL in hoops (and other spots). The best case scenario is UR would join the Patriot for fb-only if the were no longer welcome in the CAA. They are just like Fordham, very happy in the A-10 for hoops.

Right.

dgreco
September 28th, 2007, 07:35 PM
to go more off topic, what happens with the MAAC next year, are we looking at a PFL east/west alignment? where are they going to get 2 teams if not, or do the 3 teams just become indys? I guess marist depends on the PL or not.

Model Citizen
September 28th, 2007, 08:13 PM
... are we looking at a PFL east/west alignment?

Yes. 8 current PFL, plus 3 Maac, plus baby Campbell makes 12. Two divisions. Viverito hasn't made it official, but she won't deny it either.

Seawolf97
September 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM
The MAAC teams are going to have a tough time with Dayton , San Diego and now Drake which are more like NEC teams than ever. But I dont know where else they would want to go. The NEC is to tough and anything above that isnt in their future.

DetroitFlyer
September 28th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Let's face it, the MAAC has not been good to schools trying to play football.... The fact that Iona, Marist and LaSalle actually survived the MAAC speaks volumes about how bad they want to keep football. The rumor is that there is a bunch of wrangling of which teams are in which division. It will be tough for them at first, but being in a stable conference with a bit of a future, will help them to improve. Campbell is brand new, so they will be fired up for a while.

As I have said before, I think that there is room in FCS for one, non-scholarship conference. I also think that whatever team comes out of that 12 team league as the champ, could be competitive in the FCS playoffs each season. In spite of what you read today, the PFL's quest for an AQ might not be that far fetched as the playoffs expand over the years.... The important thing now is that the MAAC teams find a stable home that will allow them to not only survive but thrive. Who knows, maybe if one of more improve enough, a jump to some other eastern conference could be in their future someday....

Seawolf97
September 28th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Let's face it, the MAAC has not been good to schools trying to play football.... The fact that Iona, Marist and LaSalle actually survived the MAAC speaks volumes about how bad they want to keep football. The rumor is that there is a bunch of wrangling of which teams are in which division. It will be tough for them at first, but being in a stable conference with a bit of a future, will help them to improve. Campbell is brand new, so they will be fired up for a while.

As I have said before, I think that there is room in FCS for one, non-scholarship conference. I also think that whatever team comes out of that 12 team league as the champ, could be competitive in the FCS playoffs each season. In spite of what you read today, the PFL's quest for an AQ might not be that far fetched as the playoffs expand over the years.... The important thing now is that the MAAC teams find a stable home that will allow them to not only survive but thrive. Who knows, maybe if one of more improve enough, a jump to some other eastern conference could be in their future someday....

Agreed- I dont think anyone wants to see another St Peter's debacle. That whole program had to be devastated when they dropped football.

Go...gate
September 28th, 2007, 09:10 PM
So it looks like Marist to the PFL?

Model Citizen
September 28th, 2007, 09:14 PM
For sure. USD has already been playing them OOC. Regional school, ya know.

danefan
September 28th, 2007, 09:19 PM
What's stopping St. Francis (PA) from bolting to the PFL for football. Especially if the NEC does ramp up to 45 rides.

Could they do it for football only and still be olympic sports in the NEC?

rmutv
September 28th, 2007, 09:57 PM
What's stopping St. Francis (PA) from bolting to the PFL for football. Especially if the NEC does ramp up to 45 rides.

Could they do it for football only and still be olympic sports in the NEC?

Considering they are one of the "voting" members of the NEC, I doubt St. Francis leaves just for one sport. If they leave, it'll be a complete departure, likely to drop down a division.

But I doubt that happens.