PDA

View Full Version : AZ Republic says USD won consecutive I-AA National Titles

usdtoreros
September 25th, 2007, 02:12 PM
As quoted by the Arizona Repulic in today's paper:
"Harbaugh was Michigan's quarterback when the Wolverines lost to ASU in the 1987 Rose Bowl. He played in the NFL from 1987-2001, also working for his father as an unpaid assistant at Western Kentucky from 1994-2001 while still playing. His University of San Diego teams were 29-6 from 2004-06 and won consecutive I-AA national titles."
Link to article (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/0924asufoot-ON.html)

I guess we can ignore the "mid-major" portion of those championships. xlolx xlolx xlolx
App St Who?

GOTOREROS
September 25th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Who needs the playoffs when the media can make you National Champs! Start printing the commemorative t-shirts! xlolx

I'm taking "Mid-Major" out of my signture line! :D

danefan
September 25th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Who needs the playoffs when the media can make you National Champs! Start printing the commemorative t-shirts! xlolx

You should add a link to the article in your signature..so you don't get blindsided by someone who hasn't read this thread. xsmiley_wix
--------------------------
GOTOREROS
2005 & 2006 I-AA NATIONAL CHAMPS*
*http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/0924asufoot-ON.html (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/0924asufoot-ON.html)

AlphaSigMD
September 25th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Come on Lizard...You should have atleast shamelessly plugged Appalachian State as the real champion on your comment. Very nicely worded otherwise though! xthumbsupx

appfan2008
September 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM
that is ridicules

i am convinced that journalists are idiots

lizrdgizrd
September 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Come on Lizard...You should have atleast shamelessly plugged Appalachian State as the real champion on your comment. Very nicely worded otherwise though! xthumbsupx

I'm fairly certain those morons don't give a rat's ass anyway. xpeacex

lizrdgizrd
September 25th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Don't worry, you'll always be sub-major to me. xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
September 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Since i went to grad school at USD, i might have to claim it as well. HU never made it past the quarterfinals in the playoff system.

HaveFunKc
September 25th, 2007, 07:56 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

FCS Go!
September 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM
See San Diego fans? We told you that you should forget about the playoffs!

GOTOREROS
September 25th, 2007, 08:19 PM

What do I care - I'm a fan of the two time defending IAA football champions! xlolx

Cocky
September 25th, 2007, 09:56 PM
It works for Florida, USC, Notre Dame, UAT, etc, etc.

GrizDen
September 25th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I'm fairly certain those morons don't give a rat's ass anyway. xpeacex

I wish it weren't true, but I'm sure you thoughts are closer to reality than I'd hope.

dbackjon
September 25th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Looks like there has been an edit...the article now says

"His University of San Diego teams were 29-6 from 2004-06 and won consecutive I-AA mid-major national titles, determined by polls for teams with limited scholarships."

GOTOREROS
September 25th, 2007, 11:34 PM

Dang I guess I have to edit my signature lone again! xlolx

Tod
September 26th, 2007, 02:56 AM
It works for Florida, USC, Notre Dame, UAT, etc, etc.

Grambling...xrolleyesx

RadMann
September 26th, 2007, 04:32 AM
It still is unclear because a reader of the revised sentence who is not knowledgeable about FCS might think that they won two I-AA national championships, which are determined by a poll for all I-AA programs, which have limited scholarships. That is not really an appropriate correction/retraction....

lizrdgizrd
September 26th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I'd like to think it was because of my comment and the email I sent. As far as I know it's all my fault. xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
September 26th, 2007, 09:47 AM
It still is unclear because a reader of the revised sentence who is not knowledgeable about FCS might think that they won two I-AA national championships, which are determined by a poll for all I-AA programs, which have limited scholarships. That is not really an appropriate correction/retraction....
I think that's a pretty good correction. If you don't know anything about IAA football then you're never going to care what the difference is anyway. I think the only other improvement would be to say that they were awarded the titles not won them.

89Hen
September 26th, 2007, 10:03 AM
SAN DIEGO TOREROS
2005 and 2006
mid major
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS