PDA

View Full Version : So Furman wants it more, eh?

woffordgrad94
September 25th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I keep reading posts everywhere on this board and others that say Furman will defeat us because they "want it more". People couldn't be more wrong. NO ONE could POSSIBLY want this game more than me! And I'm sure all Wofford players, coaches, students, alumni, and other Terrier fans feel the same way I do. Heck, I want to beat them more than I wanted to beat App St. Because Furman is always talking. They'll talk, talk, and talk some more. They make App fans look like they're sitting quietly in a church somewhere. They say they own us. They keep bringing up history. Me, I made a D in my only Wofford history course, because I think it's USELESS. I focus on the present and plan for the future. I never worry about what's already happened. (No, I'm not dumb, I made all A's and B's in my biology major). But what happened in past years has NOTHING to do with the game on Saturday night. I think Wofford has an excellent chance to win the football game. It is by no means a given or a guarantee (nothing is), but if Furman does win, it won't be because they "wanted it more" (I know I said No one wanted this game more than me , but really,that crap about "wanting a game" more than your opponent is SO cliched...everybody wants to win in the worst way every time they take the field, and if they don't, they shouldn't be playing). And it DEFINITELY won't be because they beat us in previous years. It will be because they played better than us and/or scored more points than us THIS year!

WoCoTerrier
September 25th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I'm with this guy. If there's one game I'd like to win each year, its against Furman.

slostang
September 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I keep reading posts everywhere on this board and others that say Furman will defeat us because they "want it more". People couldn't be more wrong. NO ONE could POSSIBLY want this game more than me! And I'm sure all Wofford players, coaches, students, alumni, and other Terrier fans feel the same way I do. Heck, I want to beat them more than I wanted to beat App St. Because Furman is always talking. They'll talk, talk, and talk some more. They make App fans look like they're sitting quietly in a church somewhere. They say they own us. They keep bringing up history. Me, I made a D in my only Wofford history course, because I think it's USELESS. I focus on the present and plan for the future. I never worry about what's already happened. (No, I'm not dumb, I made all A's and B's in my biology major). But what happened in past years has NOTHING to do with the game on Saturday night. I think Wofford has an excellent chance to win the football game. It is by no means a given or a guarantee (nothing is), but if Furman does win, it won't be because they "wanted it more" (that crap is SO cliched) or because they beat us in previous years. It will be because they played better than us and/or scored more points than us THIS year!

I agee with most of what you said, but what the past does tell us is that your style of offense and defense may be better suited to beat a great team like App. State than a great team like Furman. I think you have to look at the past to see what has gone wrong to develop a plan on how you are going to fix it.

Congrats on the great win and good luck this Saturday.

Death Dealer
September 25th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I keep reading posts everywhere on this board and others that say Furman will defeat us because they "want it more". People couldn't be more wrong. NO ONE could POSSIBLY want this game more than me! And I'm sure all Wofford players, coaches, students, alumni, and other Terrier fans feel the same way I do. Heck, I want to beat them more than I wanted to beat App St. Because Furman is always talking. They'll talk, talk, and talk some more. They make App fans look like they're sitting quietly in a church somewhere. They say they own us. They keep bringing up history. Me, I made a D in my only Wofford history course, because I think it's USELESS. I focus on the present and plan for the future. I never worry about what's already happened. (No, I'm not dumb, I made all A's and B's in my biology major). But what happened in past years has NOTHING to do with the game on Saturday night. I think Wofford has an excellent chance to win the football game. It is by no means a given or a guarantee (nothing is), but if Furman does win, it won't be because they "wanted it more" (I know I said No one wanted this game more than me , but really,that crap about "wanting a game" more than your opponent is SO cliched...everybody wants to win in the worst way every time they take the field, and if they don't, they shouldn't be playing). And it DEFINITELY won't be because they beat us in previous years. It will be because they played better than us and/or scored more points than us THIS year!
Oh yeah!!!! I definitely want it more than you do!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xrolleyesx

Relax. The best team will win on Saturday and all the history in the world won't decide that.

Of course, Furman is the best team, so the outcome is a forgone conclusion!:D :p I'd wish you luck on Saturday, but really I hope your team bus gets a flat.xlolx xpeacex

grizbeer
September 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I can't really say anything about this specific case, but I do believe it is common for a team to have a big let down right after a big win, so it wouldn't surprise me if Furman wins this one.

OL FU
September 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Did somebody say somethingxeyebrowx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

GoldandBlack
September 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I'd wish you luck on Saturday, but really I hope your team bus gets a flat.xlolx xpeacex

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Rivalries are much more enjoyable with an occasionally funny.

And to return the favor, may a strong gust of wind catch your inflatable helmet and carry your first string to Tennessee prior to kickoff.xsmiley_wix xpeacex

OL FU
September 25th, 2007, 02:13 PM
By the way, I was kidding. I like to laugh at both sides. I laugh because Furman people still look at Wofford as the (as said on the Wofford site) unappreciated little brother which pisses the Wofford people off so much that they act like the unappreciated little brother.xlolx

Both sides want it equally. My big fear over the years has been that our good fortune over Wofford might bite us in the azz with over confidence. Fortunately, our loss at Hofstra and your win over Appalachian should take care of that concern this year.

It should be a heck of a game (unless we turn the ball over four times againxrolleyesx

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I think there is no one that thinks one teams wants to win more. I do think however, going with an old addage, that an animal in a corner is most dangerous, especially when that animal is in front of its fans.

Bobby Lamb said he would be dissapointed if there wasn't 16k people in the stands.

I'd be interested to know what the record was for the two smallest schools playing in front of the biggest crowd is. I think Furman and Wofford combined enrollment is probably 5,000.

OL FU
September 26th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Terriers offer new look to Paladins

There was little comment as Furman University football coach Bobby Lamb perused the weekly NCAA Football Championship Subdivision Top 25 poll in his office Monday afternoon.

The Paladins dropped from No. 16 to No. 20 during a week in which they didn't play

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070926/SPORTS0103/709260387/1027

furman94
September 26th, 2007, 06:00 AM
I dont think its up to a fan in regards to which team wants a game more.

HiHiYikas
September 26th, 2007, 08:43 AM
"They Want it more" is basically a smoke-screen for "I don't really know how to talk about this matchup in terms of football." It's a second-cousin to "I hope the Braves win because I think Chipper Jones is cute." There's nothing wrong with that kind of talk, but it is what it is.

OL FU
September 26th, 2007, 09:28 AM
"They Want it more" is basically a smoke-screen for "I don't really know how to talk about this matchup in terms of football." It's a second-cousin to "I hope the Braves win because I think Chipper Jones is cute." There's nothing wrong with that kind of talk, but it is what it is.

Well motivation and momentum etc are part of the game. I realize the "Want it more argument" is a little weak for this game, but I do think there are times it comes into play. I think that is one of the reasons that Furman generally plays well against I-A teams. Because they truly do want it more.

xtwocentsx

blukeys
September 26th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I think citdog wants it more. xtwocentsx xnodx xnodx xsmiley_wix

walliver
September 26th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I think Citdog wants The Furman and The Wofford to both lose and Citadel to beat The UTC.

HiHiYikas
September 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Well motivation and momentum etc are part of the game. I realize the "Want it more argument" is a little weak for this game, but I do think there are times it comes into play. I think that is one of the reasons that Furman generally plays well against I-A teams. Because they truly do want it more.

xtwocentsx
I'd say that's worth more than 2 cents, OL...As I was typing that earlier post, FCS/FBS games popped into my head as a good example of motivation imbalance...

It's not that I don't have any use for "intangibles," it's just that I find it a little frustrating when they turn into primary arguments...

Wofford's going to beat App State...and why? Is it because of Wofford's improved offense, Coach Ayers' solid playcalling, ASU's defensive inexperience? Is it because of injuries to key ASU players, or that the Southern Conference is a tough and balanced conference, where road wins are never a given, even for top teams?

Nope - it's because ASU is a bunch of individuals and Wofford is a team. Give me a break.

And Furman will beat Wofford - but not because they'll defend the option better than ASU did, and not they're better rested after a bye week, and not because Southern Conference is a tough and balanced conference, where road wins are never a given, even for top teams. Because Furman wants it more.

There's nothing mystical about football whatsoever. The team that scores the most wins. The team that "wants it more" often scores fewer points. The team that is "vaunted and cocky" probably wins more than half the time.

I could be way off base here, I guess...

OL FU
September 26th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I'd say that's worth more than 2 cents, OL...As I was typing that earlier post, FCS/FBS games popped into my head as a good example of motivation imbalance...

It's not that I don't have any use for "intangibles," it's just that I find it a little frustrating when they turn into primary arguments...

Wofford's going to beat App State...and why? Is it because of Wofford's improved offense, Coach Ayers' solid playcalling, ASU's defensive inexperience? Is it because of injuries to key ASU players, or that the Southern Conference is a tough and balanced conference, where road wins are never a given, even for top teams?

Nope - it's because ASU is a bunch of individuals and Wofford is a team. Give me a break.

And Furman will beat Wofford - but not because they'll defend the option better than ASU did, and not they're better rested after a bye week, and not because Southern Conference is a tough and balanced conference, where road wins are never a given, even for top teams. Because Furman wants it more.

There's nothing mystical about football whatsoever. The team that scores the most wins. The team that "wants it more" often scores fewer points. The team that is "vaunted and cocky" probably wins more than half the time.

I could be way off base here, I guess...

As I said, I agree with you that argument has little merit in this gamexnodx and in most evenly matched, evenly motivated FCS gamesxnodx

GoldandBlack
September 26th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I think Citdog wants The Furman and The Wofford to both lose and Citadel to beat The UTC.

Let's see- from CitDog's viewpoint, if FU beats Wofford and THE Citadel beats UTC, then he'll expect THE Citadel to beat both FU and Wofford in Charleston, and for App State to beat FU, leaving the door open for THE Citadel to run the table and win the SoCon Championship.

Just a guess.................xsmiley_wix

Obviously, he'd be wrong in those assumptions, but he's gotta live the company line.xnodx

citdog
September 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I think citdog wants it more. xtwocentsx xnodx xnodx xsmiley_wix

you are DAMN RIGHT KEYS!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

citdog
September 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Let's see- from CitDog's viewpoint, if FU beats Wofford and THE Citadel beats UTC, then he'll expect THE Citadel to beat both FU and Wofford in Charleston, and for App State to beat FU, leaving the door open for THE Citadel to run the table and win the SoCon Championship.

it'll be like '92 all over again! xthumbsupx

OL FU
September 26th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Just a guess.................xsmiley_wix

Obviously, he'd be wrong in those assumptions, but he's gotta live the company line.xnodx

Yes but that assumes he thinks THE Citadel will lose a game during the remainder of the season (which they will) xsmiley_wix

Millwoch
September 26th, 2007, 10:32 AM

How great would it be if that could actually happen. I have to say I am torn on this one too. FU on one hand, Woffy on the other. Jeez! I plan on just sitting back and watching you guys beat each other up. xcoolx

GoldandBlack
September 26th, 2007, 10:34 AM
How great would it be if that could actually happen. I have to say I am torn on this one too. FU on one hand, Woffy on the other. Jeez! I plan on just sitting back and watching you guys beat each other up. xcoolx

I knew that wouldn't take long......xlolx

GoldandBlack
September 26th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Yes but that assumes he thinks THE Citadel will lose a game during the remainder of the season (which they will) xsmiley_wix

Knowing CitDog, I don't think he's expecting any losses- he just wants everybody else to get beat up so he can enjoy the process.:D

CID1990
September 26th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Wofford really needs to win this game so they can get that At-Large playoff bid.

OL FU
September 26th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Knowing CitDog, I don't think he's expecting any losses- he just wants everybody else to get beat up so he can enjoy the process.:D

Subconciously, he loves defending the defeatedxeyebrowx xeyebrowx xcoolx

citdog
September 26th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Subconciously, he loves defending the defeatedxeyebrowx xeyebrowx xcoolx

screw sub, I DO IT CONCIOUSLY! xthumbsupx