PDA

View Full Version : Another Griz in Trouble...

Tod
September 24th, 2007, 11:09 PM
:(

Just saw on the local news; Tim Parks, UM cornerback, in jail on $35K bond for pointing a gun at a woman (I believe his domestic partner) and slapping her in the face several times, demanding $150 she allegedly owes him.

His bio has been removed from MontanaGrizzlies.com. He is suspended for the time being.

Didn't see this posted anywhere, though I didn't go to page two. If already posted, my bad.

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

pantherfan
September 24th, 2007, 11:14 PM
:(

Just saw on the local news; Tim Parks, UM cornerback, in jail on $35K bond for pointing a gun at a woman (I believe his domestic partner) and slapping her in the face several times, demanding $150 she allegedly owes him.

His bio has been removed from MontanaGrizzlies.com. He is suspended for the time being.

Didn't see this posted anywhere, though I didn't go to page two. If already posted, my bad.

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Starter? Two-deep?xconfusedx

JBB
September 24th, 2007, 11:26 PM
That too bad. Its a shame when a scholorship athlete wastes their opportunity. I hope for the best for the young man.

EmeryZach
September 25th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Wow, you guys sure have bad luck up there. Not to say we don't also.

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 12:50 AM
This just plain sucks. WTF is going on up there? Do these players think it's the ******** wild, wild West or something? xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

SeattleGriz

Thanks for putting it so nicely. I would have to say some guys just have sheet for brains.

What kind of man intimidates a woman and slaps her around?

xnonono2x

DuckDuckGriz

The good thing is that the school has (unfortunately) had to learn how to handle these situations and I think they are doing alot better. Getting his ass out of there was the only option IMO - luckily for Griz fans this will not be a factor, but we're better off without someone that pulls this kind of *****.

Sorry guys, but if you're knocking a girl around I believe you should have the same done to you by guys twice your size waiting on you to drop the soap xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 12:52 AM

From the article:

Parks, a senior cornerback, will remain on the team’s inactive player roster, where he was placed last year because of an injury, according to UM athletic director Jim O’Day.

I've never heard of this guy....

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 12:53 AM
....and what IS it about cornerbacks? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

patssle
September 25th, 2007, 12:53 AM
The good thing is that the school has (unfortunately) had to learn how to handle these situations and I think they are doing alot better

They faltered on JD Quinn though. A guy who continues to run his mouth and has broken the law more than once continues to get break and more breaks.

Get rid of him already.....but hes a good player...

DuckDuckGriz
September 25th, 2007, 12:57 AM
....and what IS it about cornerbacks? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Jimmy Wilson
Quinton Jackson
Tim Parks
Vernon Smith
Johnnie Peeples (after playing for UM)
Calvin Coleman (after playing for UM)

Holy crap you're onto something.

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Jimmy Wilson
Quinton Jackson
Tim Parks
Vernon Smith
Johnnie Peeples (after playing for UM)
Calvin Coleman (after playing for UM)

Holy crap you're onto something.

Isn't Tim Hauck the secondary coach? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Tod
September 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Isn't Tim Hauck the secondary coach? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

I knew that Tim Hauck was a coke-head! xmadx xmadx

What did he ever do with his life, but ride the coat-tails of his brother? xnonono2x xnonono2x

:D

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I knew that Tim Hauck was a coke-head! xmadx xmadx

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

DuckDuckGriz
September 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM

Yes. You'd think a guy that can knock out Michael Irvin would get a grip on these guys.

Tod
September 25th, 2007, 01:07 AM

Dude, he was in the NFL for 12 years and is a Griz legend. I kid! :) :) :)

Ronbo
September 25th, 2007, 01:08 AM

Last depth chart I saw he was 3rd string behind Quinton Jackson and Gamaine Olsen. He was on the kickoff team special teams.

Hey Tod you forgot to post that Quinton Freeman was found innocent of his charges. I guess we only report the bad.

DuckDuckGriz
September 25th, 2007, 01:08 AM

http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/birds/images/multi_mockingbird.jpg

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Dude, he was in the NFL for 12 years and is a Griz legend. I kid! :) :) :)

I was ok with the "ride the coattails of his brother" comment....the OTHER comment is how nasty rumors get started.... xnonono2x

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Last depth chart I saw he was 3rd string behind Quinton Jackson and Gamaine Olsen. He was on the kickoff team special teams.

Hey Tod you forgot to post that Quinton Freeman was found innocent of his charges. I guess we only report the bad.

Was he found innocent in AZ too? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Tod
September 25th, 2007, 01:27 AM
I was ok with the "ride the coattails of his brother" comment....the OTHER comment is how nasty rumors get started.... xnonono2x

Then my mission here is done...xshhhx

Tod
September 25th, 2007, 01:28 AM

Guess again! We only report what we know. I'm a Democrat, afterall.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

NDB
September 25th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Wow. Hope things get better in Montana.

Did Tim get his $150 back?

Ronbo
September 25th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Interesting geographical theme to the guys that are in jail.

Southern Californians. This isn't a product of Montana. Our State is a wonderful place to live and raise children. Also our minority players from Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Iowa, Arizona, etc. have all been good students and good citizens.

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Southern Californians. This isn't a product of Montana. Our State is a wonderful place to live and raise children. Also our minority players from Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Iowa, Arizona, etc. have all been good students and good citizens.

WHich, by your logic, would make Southern California the devil.... xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

There's plenty (hell, dare I say MILLIONS) of good kids in Southern California. These incidents don't (and shouldn't) paint an entire region with such a broad brush.

NE MT GRIZZ
September 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM
What has happened to the love, peace, and hippies that used to inhabit Missoula?

Ronbo
September 25th, 2007, 09:26 AM
We'll have to agree that there are areas of the Country where street violence is the accepted way of life and these young men grow up in this enviornment. Then you have minority kids from a smaller town in Colorado and they are good citizens. Hmmm....

already123
September 25th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Chick, where is my money! xlolx

sorry, I know that is not funny, but I couldnt help it xsmhx

already123
September 25th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Chick, where is my money! xlolx

sorry, I know that is not funny, but I couldnt help it xsmhx

USDFAN_55
September 25th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Little Man syndrome..... always trying to make up for their lack in stature... thinking they have to prove something.

Cap'n Cat
September 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Little Man syndrome..... always trying to make up for their lack in stature... thinking they have to prove something.

Kinda like HIU93 on the Jena 6 crap:

I want my gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got mine.

xrolleyesx

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

USDFAN_55
September 25th, 2007, 12:18 PM

I don't see how you are making this a monority issue? It's bad enough that you are trying to point the finger to a region. Now you are stereo typing. Why don't you blame your coach for not teaching these young men how to act. Coaching in college is not just about teaching football, it's about shaping boys into men and teaching them how to act and succeed in life. I say shame on your coach.xnonono2x

patssle
September 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Well give us some demographics then. Of the guys who have been arrested...what are their races?

NE MT GRIZZ
September 25th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I don't see how you are making this a monority issue? It's bad enough that you are trying to point the finger to a region. Now you are stereo typing. Why don't you blame your coach for not teaching these young men how to act. Coaching in college is not just about teaching football, it's about shaping boys into men and teaching them how to act and succeed in life. I say shame on your coach.xnonono2x

This is more of a parenting and environment issue.
How can 1 guy be a "dad" to 100 kids.

Once these guys turn 18, they are men and should be responsible for their own actions. If they goof up, the coach will disciplnce on behalf of the team and school.

Hauck has done a good job of getting rid of trouble.

Cap'n Cat
September 25th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Once these guys turn 18, they are men and should be responsible for their own actions. If they goof up, the coach will disciplnce on behalf of the team and school.

Agree, 10,000%, NE. No school or coach goes out of their way to invite such trouble. Bustin' on them about it is plain dumb.

Casey_Orourke
September 25th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Maybe instead of being a "DAD" he should instead act like a COMMANDER. I have had plenty of good commanders, men who knew their jobs, respected by their men, but made it clear their word was law and woe unto those who messed up big time. Because, they knew he would come down upon them like a ton of bricks with the wrath of Almighty God and they knew they would be gone the next day.

Treat the players with the respect they deserve as men, but also remind them that all actions have consequences, and if you do something stupid there will be a price to pay.

USDFAN_55
September 25th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Agree, 10,000%, NE. No school or coach goes out of their way to invite such trouble. Bustin' on them about it is plain dumb.

They may not go out of their way, but they know the character of a player before he arrives from recruiting him. They just choose to ignore the character issues because he can play. If the coach is going to bring in players with character issues, he needs to be prepared to do more than teach this young man how to play football..... he needs to be a father figure. Like it or not, the coach has taken a son from a family so the responsibility should be on him that he treats this kid as his own son and shows him how to be a man. Coaching is not just X's and O's. It's about continuing the growth of an individual on and off the field. But maybe I'm the only one that thinks this way.

USDFAN_55
September 25th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Maybe he should do a better job in not bringing in the trouble in the first place. Must be poor judgement in character. xnodx

Ronbo
September 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Jimmy Wilson and Tim Parks were both 18 year old HS recruits. Exactly what should Hauck have known other than their school records and what the HS Coach told him?

The transfers we have that had some past trouble's have been clean except one DUI which was dealt with by a 2 1/2 game suspension. Freeman has been exonerated in Montana of his charges. He still needs to take care of the stuff in Arizona.

Wilson, Parks, and Freeman are all off the team and lost their schollies and education. Pretty good message sent to the other players.

USDFAN_55
September 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Jimmy Wilson and Tim Parks were both 18 year old HS recruits. Exactly what should Hauck have known other than their school records and what the HS Coach told him?

Didn't the coach at least talk to these players on the phone. I would think if there was a scholarship on the line these players would come out for a visit, or the coach would go visit them. I went through the recruting process, and I remeber talking on the phone with a lot of coaches, and being visited by a few as well. There are planty of opportunities for the coach to judge the character of a payer.

Ronbo
September 25th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Sure they visit and speak on the phone. These guys didn't get into trouble till they were seniors. How do you forsee that?

Cap'n Cat
September 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM
They may not go out of their way, but they know the character of a player before he arrives from recruiting him. They just choose to ignore the character issues because he can play. If the coach is going to bring in players with character issues, he needs to be prepared to do more than teach this young man how to play football..... he needs to be a father figure. Like it or not, the coach has taken a son from a family so the responsibility should be on him that he treats this kid as his own son and shows him how to be a man. Coaching is not just X's and O's. It's about continuing the growth of an individual on and off the field. But maybe I'm the only one that thinks this way.

Preachin' to the choir - Played, coached in college.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM
This just plain sucks. WTF is going on up there? Do these players think it's the ******** wild, wild West or something? xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

That or they think they're the 2006 Cincinatti Bengals...

Cap'n Cat
September 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Maybe instead of being a "DAD" he should instead act like a COMMANDER. I have had plenty of good commanders, men who knew their jobs, respected by their men, but made it clear their word was law and woe unto those who messed up big time. Because, they knew he would come down upon them like a ton of bricks with the wrath of Almighty God and they knew they would be gone the next day.

Treat the players with the respect they deserve as men, but also remind them that all actions have consequences, and if you do something stupid there will be a price to pay.

Ninety-nine-point-nine percent of coaches do this.

Don't go nuts. No one wants to play football for frickin' Patton or Genghis Khan.

xrolleyesx

Peems
September 25th, 2007, 01:29 PM
From the article:

I've never heard of this guy....

He's played off and on. Number 9 I believe.

Ronbo
September 25th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Listen I don't in any way defend these players. I have the kick their arse's off the team attitude. But so does Hauck.

Wilson - off the team of course.

Parks - off the team

Freeman - off the team

Quinn - (DUI) 2 1/2 game suspension which is what they have done in the past for this offense and it works pretty good as players that had DUI's in the past didn't repeat.

slostang
September 25th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Cal Poly and UC Davis only recruit from California and have not had these types of problems (not to say we wont). I think it is a case where it is the kids character, not where he is from, that is the problem here.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Didn't the coach at least talk to these players on the phone. I would think if there was a scholarship on the line these players would come out for a visit, or the coach would go visit them. I went through the recruting process, and I remeber talking on the phone with a lot of coaches, and being visited by a few as well. There are planty of opportunities for the coach to judge the character of a payer.

Yes this is true. I know for a fact that our coaches always get on the phone to the players and the first question they ask is "Do you plan on killing anybody during your time at UM?" A follow up question is then presented to them in the form of "Do you plan on smacking a bitch up during your time at UM?" It is my firm belief that these players answered "no" and thusly were given scholarships.

Cap'n Cat
September 25th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Yes this is true. I know for a fact that our coaches always get on the phone to the players and the first question they ask is "Do you plan on killing anybody during your time at UM?" A follow up question is then presented to them in the form of "Do you plan on smacking a bitch up during your time at UM?" It is my firm belief that these players answered "no" and thusly were given scholarships.

LMFatAO!!!!!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Post Of The Day!

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2007, 02:22 PM
LMFatAO!!!!!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Post Of The Day!

My first love ever from the Cap'n. I will cherish this day forever.

slostang
September 25th, 2007, 02:27 PM

I wonder if these players GPA and SAT scores were nearly as impressive as their football skills? That would be a good indication of character. My guess is probably not.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I wonder if these players GPA and SAT scores were nearly as impressive as their football skills? That would be a good indication of character. My guess is probably not.

Well since you are guessing I will take it as fact then.

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Preachin' to the choir - Played, coached in college.

WTF do you know, Denunzio? xlolx xlolx xlolx ;) ;) :D

Cap'n Cat
September 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
WTF do you know, Denunzio? xlolx xlolx xlolx ;) ;) :D

slostang
September 25th, 2007, 02:53 PM

It is not a fact, just a guess. What would you guess?

I am only guessing because Ronbo said all of the problem players the Griz have had came from Southern California. Like I said before, Cal Poly and UC Davis recruit only from California and have not had these types of problems (not saying we wont). Sac State recruits mostly from California and they have had more problems. It is a lot easier to get into Sac and they can take students Poly and Davis can not. The problem is not where they came from, the problem is they probably were not good people to begin with. A students GPA is "a" good indication of character.

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 02:53 PM
My first love ever from the Cap'n. I will cherish this day forever.

Hope he didn't get any on your blue dress.... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeekx

mlbowl
September 25th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Must spread some reputation around...xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Hope he didn't get any on your blue dress.... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeekx

I actually was dressed more like Oscar De La Hoya so the Cap'n cannot be blamed for his sloppiness.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM

I am only guessing because Ronbo said all of the problem players the Griz have had came from Southern California. Like I said before, Cal Poly and UC Davis recruit only from California and have not had these types of problems (not saying we wont). Sac State recruits mostly from California and they have had more problems. It is a lot easier to get into Sac and they can take students Poly and Davis can not. The problem is not where they came from, the problem is they probably were not good people to begin with. A students GPA is "a" good indication of character.

Yes I would agree, but the fact of the matter is that they met the requirements set forth by the University for all student athletes. Our Football team normally has a fairly High GPA among the players. I do not know how it compares to Cal Poly or the Aggies but is good nonetheless. We are dealing a lot in conjecture and so forth without many facts as to what the coaches actually had at their disposal for judging these individuals.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Must spread some reputation around...xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Why thank you, as I am always open to some rep.

Casey_Orourke
September 25th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Ninety-nine-point-nine percent of coaches do this.

Don't go nuts. No one wants to play football for frickin' Patton or Genghis Khan.

xrolleyesx

Never had a Patton.....Most of my commanders have been like Dick Winters in Band of Brothers, a man I say Yes Sir to and go through H*LL itself if he asked.

Cap'n Cat
September 26th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Never had a Patton.....Most of my commanders have been like Dick Winters in Band of Brothers, a man I say Yes Sir to and go through H*LL itself if he asked.

Good, Case. One of the reasons we play college football, though, is for the fun of it. The kind of coach you're describing does not appeal to recruits, by and large.

I understand what you're trying to say, but the Bobby Knights and Darrell Royals of the world are all but gone.

Thank goodness.

Ronbo
September 26th, 2007, 08:16 AM

The facts is the facts sir. Sorry.

Jimmy Wilson. S. California
Quintin Freeman. S. California
Tim Parks. S. California.

Seems to be a pattern here. No?

slostang
September 26th, 2007, 09:02 AM
The facts is the facts sir. Sorry.

Jimmy Wilson. S. California
Quintin Freeman. S. California
Tim Parks. S. California.

Seems to be a pattern here. No?

There is a pattern, the Griz do not do their homework when it comes to recruiting kids from California. Once again Cal Poly and Davis "only" recruit from California and they do not have these types of problems (not that we can not have these problems). It is "not" where they come from, it is the character of the kid. California is a big state full of great people and not so great people. The Griz have a handfull of California kids on their team and most have got in trouble. Cal Poly and Davis have over 90 kids from California on their teams and none have beaten a female or killed someone. If a program only values a kid for his athletic skill and over look character flaws they are asking for trouble. Not saying the Griz are doing this, but if you are looking for patterns this may one you might want to check out. To say the problem is because the Griz recruit in California and that is the problem is just plain ignorant.

I do not have a problem with the University of Montana. In fact I think they are a great program and I have enjoyed my three trips there. I hope that they have weeded out the bad seeds and have nothing but sucess this year and in the future. Hopefully they have grown from this adversity and will come out stronger for it. What I do have a problem with is Ronbo pointing the finger at California for the problems that Montana has had.

Ronbo
September 26th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Well I know one thing. The Coaches should sit down with all California players and warn them of the tough Law and Courts in Montana. We are very tough on offenders here. Tim Parks is facing 20 years hard time for holding a gun to his girlfriends head. In California he'd get probation. In Missoula we had an 18 year old gang want-a-be get 20 years for pointing a gun and threating people. We're nipping gangs in the bud big time in Montana.

Cap'n Cat
September 26th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Well I know one thing. The Coaches should sit down with all California players and warn them of the tough Law and Courts in Montana. We are very tough on offenders here. Tim Parks is facing 20 years hard time for holding a gun to his girlfriends head. In California he'd get probation. In Missoula we had an 18 year old gang want-a-be get 20 years for pointing a gun and threating people. We're nipping gangs in the bud big time in Montana.

xthumbsupx

slostang
September 26th, 2007, 09:55 AM

You will not get an arguement from me when it comes to California courts be to soft. I am glad to hear that the Montana courts are tough. Good luck the rest of the season. Maybe next year the Griz should just say no to recruits from California.xnodx

Casey_Orourke
September 26th, 2007, 10:16 AM
You will not get an arguement from me when it comes to California courts be to soft. I am glad to hear that the Montana courts are tough. Good luck the rest of the season. Maybe next year the Griz should just say no to recruits from California.xnodx

Or at least let them know that if they play in Montana, the shenanigans they pull in California just will not be tolerated.

USDFAN_55
September 26th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Sure they visit and speak on the phone. These guys didn't get into trouble till they were seniors. How do you forsee that?

If they didn't get introuble until they were seniors, then I would attribute their character to their current environment.... which is Montana. These guys are 4 years removed from Southern California, yet you still say that is the root cause of these problems?xeekx

DuckDuckGriz
September 26th, 2007, 11:00 AM
If they didn't get introuble until they were seniors, then I would attribute their character to their current environment.... which is Montana. These guys are 4 years removed from Southern California, yet you still say that is the root cause of these problems?xeekx

Absolutely. It's more than cooincidence that they all have the same background, don't you think? And none of them were 4 years removed from Southern California -- even if they were it's not like you just shed where you spend the first 18 years of your life automatically. Missoula, Montana is one of the last places that would preserve or condone that type of behavior. Period.

Ronbo
September 26th, 2007, 11:02 AM

You can take the man out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the man.

USDFAN_55
September 26th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Absolutely. It's more than cooincidence that they all have the same background, don't you think? And none of them were 4 years removed from Southern California -- even if they were it's not like you just shed where you spend the first 18 years of your life automatically. Missoula, Montana is one of the last places that would preserve or condone that type of behavior. Period.

I'm not saying Montana preserves or condones it, I'm just saying that maybe it is cultivated. Did these kids have any previous criminal history before they went to Montana? Look, I know Montana is a beautiful place and a great place to raise a family, but to be so naive to think there is no way Montana is too blame is absurd. I can tell your perception of Southern California is media driven.

DuckDuckGriz
September 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I'm not saying Montana preserves or condones it, I'm just saying that maybe it is cultivated. Did these kids have any previous criminal history before they went to Montana? Look, I know Montana is a beautiful place and a great place to raise a family, but to be so naive to think there is no way Montana is too blame is absurd. I can tell your perception of Southern California is media driven.

You can call it media driven. Or you can just look at the obvious that Southern California is the most crime ridden area on the west coast and all of these guys were from Southern California.

USDFAN_55
September 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM
You can call it media driven. Or you can just look at the obvious that Southern California is the most crime ridden area on the west coast and all of these guys were from Southern California.

Where is that fact from? Did you do some of your own research? I think not.... you must have saw it on the news or read it in a paper, either way that is the media.

USDFAN_55
September 26th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I have been all over Southern California, and I would have to say it is a very safe place to be. Of course there are a couple areas that are bad, and those are the places that you see in the media.

DuckDuckGriz
September 26th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Where is that fact from? Did you do some of your own research? I think not.... you must have saw it on the news or read it in a paper, either way that is the media.

BS. You know it and I know it. No one even comes close. Keep trying to spin this all you want. I'm not dissing Southern California - there are millions of people there, obviously this isn't it's biggest thing.

USDFAN_55
September 26th, 2007, 11:37 AM
BS. You know it and I know it. No one even comes close. Keep trying to spin this all you want. I'm not dissing Southern California - there are millions of people there, obviously this isn't it's biggest thing.

No one comes close? You mean just in California? I think that would be wrong. There's just as much crime in Northern California as there is in Southern California, but of course you would know that because you sound so knowledgeable about the crime in California.

All I'm trying to get at is your media driven perception of Southern California has led you to belive that these kids are bad because of the region they are from, and I'm trying to tell you there is no way you can point the finger to just that. It is a combination of their environment that they grew up in and the environment that the are currently in. Like it or not, Montana is too blame for some of this.xnonox

Ronbo
September 26th, 2007, 11:45 AM
No one comes close? You mean just in California? I think that would be wrong. There's just as much crime in Northern California as there is in Southern California, but of course you would know that because you sound so knowledgeable about the crime in California.

All I'm trying to get at is your media driven perception of Southern California has led you to belive that these kids are bad because of the region they are from, and I'm trying to tell you there is no way you can point the finger to just that. It is a combination of their environment that they grew up in and the environment that the are currently in. Like it or not, Montana is too blame for some of this.xnonox

I think you might be right. They probably don't take too long to figure out that the folks up here are too trusting and easily intimidated by tough guy attitudes.

slostang
September 26th, 2007, 01:39 PM
It is time to stop pointing at Southern California as the problem. Like I have said many times before there are both good and bad people in all 50 states. California is the most populated state so you will more examples of both good and bad. Knowing this maybe the Griz need to do a little more homework when recruiting in So. Cal.

Below is a list of players on Cal Poly's current roster who are from Southern California:

Tredale Tolver - San Diego
Michael Chowtam - Bellflower
Matt Brennan - Huntington Beach
Nick Emmons - Fullerton
Mike Anderson - Etiwanda
Ramses Barden - Altadena
Ernie Cooper - Whittier
Marty Mohamed - Brawley
Tim Chicoine - Huntington Beach
Matt Kirschner - Pasadena
Kurtis Ovesen - Los Angles
Brandon Williamson - Spring Valley
Martin Mares - El Monte
James Noble - Barstow
David Fullerton - Brea
Jordan Yocum - Anaheim
Xavier Gardner - Aliso Viejo
Mark Restelli - Trabuco Canyon
Greg Francis - La Habra
Gene Grant - Huntington Beach
Darryl Willliams - Escondido
Dominic Rickard - Huntington Beach
James Chen - Irvine
Jason Relyea - Poway
Michael Sabido - Downey
Matt Duffy - El Segundo
Lucas Trily - La Jolla
Hal Kelley - Oceanside
Arturo Munoz - Santa Ana
Daniel Bradley - Chico Hills
Mike Porter - La Habra Heights
John Yessner - El Segundo
David Mahr - Bellflower
Ryan Chambers - La Habra
Keaton Taylor - San Diego
Ian Masterson - Escondido
Kevin Hess - Arcadia
Justin Reece - Manhatten Beach
Erich Klemme - Long Beach

Using your logic that So. Cal is the cause for the problems the Griz are having, Cal Poly players should be in the paper more for criminal acts than athletics. I can assure you that is not the case.

Time to stop pointing fingers and learn from your mistakes so they do not continue to happen. If recruiting in California is a problem, stop recruiting there. I personally think that is a mistake because there are many fine athletes in California that are also very fine people.

The Griz have a fine program and their problems are more an exception rather than the rule. The Griz can let these problems get in the way of what should be a very fine season, or they can over come the adversity and become stronger. I think they will become stronger. Good luck the rest of the season.

AZGrizFan
September 26th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Below is a list of players on Cal Poly's current roster who are from Southern California:

Tredale Tolver - San Diego
Michael Chowtam - Bellflower
Matt Brennan - Huntington Beach
Nick Emmons - Fullerton
Mike Anderson - Etiwanda
Ramses Barden - Altadena
Ernie Cooper - Whittier
Marty Mohamed - Brawley
Tim Chicoine - Huntington Beach
Matt Kirschner - Pasadena
Kurtis Ovesen - Los Angles
Brandon Williamson - Spring Valley
Martin Mares - El Monte
James Noble - Barstow
David Fullerton - Brea
Jordan Yocum - Anaheim
Xavier Gardner - Aliso Viejo
Mark Restelli - Trabuco Canyon
Greg Francis - La Habra
Gene Grant - Huntington Beach
Darryl Willliams - Escondido
Dominic Rickard - Huntington Beach
James Chen - Irvine
Jason Relyea - Poway
Michael Sabido - Downey
Matt Duffy - El Segundo
Lucas Trily - La Jolla
Hal Kelley - Oceanside
Arturo Munoz - Santa Ana
Daniel Bradley - Chico Hills
Mike Porter - La Habra Heights
John Yessner - El Segundo
David Mahr - Bellflower
Ryan Chambers - La Habra
Keaton Taylor - San Diego
Ian Masterson - Escondido
Kevin Hess - Arcadia
Justin Reece - Manhatten Beach
Erich Klemme - Long Beach

Obviously a list of hoodlums and gangbangers. ;) ;) ;) ;)

slostang
September 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Obviously a list of hoodlums and gangbangers. ;) ;) ;) ;)
Exactly!!!xsmiley_wix

catatac
September 27th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Not entirely true... Hauck has brought in several players of questionable character lately. It's a gamble that most coaches probably take to some extent each year. IMO, Hauck has been pushing the envelope though. As an aside... our ex coach, Kramer... did the same thing though to a lesser extent. He got fired.

AZGrizFan
September 27th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Not entirely true... Hauck has brought in several players of questionable character lately. It's a gamble that most coaches probably take to some extent each year. IMO, Hauck has been pushing the envelope though. As an aside... our ex coach, Kramer... did the same thing though to a lesser extent. He got fired.

Who?

There's what, 85 kids on the roster?

GrizBro
September 27th, 2007, 12:32 PM

You mean the black students. LOL.. Hey I can say it. Muck, Chris and I are mixed!!!

GrizBro
September 27th, 2007, 12:34 PM

I completely agree with this statement here. It's always the little guys that do the violent things. The big guys do the dumb, not-so-violent things(i.e. JD Quinn)

GrizBro
September 27th, 2007, 12:36 PM

I think what it comes down to the amount common sense an individual has. We've obviously seen an increase in the lack there of over the past 9 months from Mike Vick, to the prosecutor in LA, Jimmy Wilson and now Tim Parks.

GrizBro
September 27th, 2007, 12:37 PM

I agree with you.

GrizBro
September 27th, 2007, 12:42 PM

I understand where you're coming from on this point. I was also recruited by schools, went thru the recruitment process with my little brother and while a player helped recruit kids to school. I can think of kid inparticular that during the recruiting process was all about having fun and not getting into trouble. He ended up coming to my school, after I graduated, and ended up raping a girl on campus.

The thing that needs to be realized that people will put up a front for people in a situation like a coach's visit or over the phone. It's not the coach's fault if a player presents one view of himself and acts differently once on campus. Being free of parents is a sometimes scary/freeing feeling for some people and they don't always know how to handle it.

That's just my 2 cents!

GrizBro
September 27th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Ditto

putter
September 27th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I understand where you're coming from on this point. I was also recruited by schools, went thru the recruitment process with my little brother and while a player helped recruit kids to school. I can think of kid inparticular that during the recruiting process was all about having fun and not getting into trouble. He ended up coming to my school, after I graduated, and ended up raping a girl on campus.

The thing that needs to be realized that people will put up a front for people in a situation like a coach's visit or over the phone. It's not the coach's fault if a player presents one view of himself and acts differently once on campus. Being free of parents is a sometimes scary/freeing feeling for some people and they don't always know how to handle it.

That's just my 2 cents!

I think that is the biggest thing. Kids will act a certain way when coaches/parents are around and different when alone or with friends. Coaches can look at transcripts, talk with coaches-teachers etc to try and determine the character of a person but you will only get a portion of the picture. Have a tough disclipline policy will most likely keep kids in line as they want to play football. We all made bad mistakes growing up but some go further than others.

catatac
September 27th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Who?

There's what, 85 kids on the roster?

Quinn
Russum
Coleman
Freeman

are the players, that I know of, that had existing rap sheets when Bobby brought them in... this obviously doesn't include the players that got into trouble after arriving in Missoula.

Casey_Orourke
September 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I think that is the biggest thing. Kids will act a certain way when coaches/parents are around and different when alone or with friends. Coaches can look at transcripts, talk with coaches-teachers etc to try and determine the character of a person but you will only get a portion of the picture. Have a tough disclipline policy will most likely keep kids in line as they want to play football. We all made bad mistakes growing up but some go further than others.

A coach needs to remind all his players at the start of every season, especially the incoming freshmen and transfers that playing on his team is a privilege, not a right. Also, that any player who violates the law or team policy WILL be appropriately punished, and stick with it, even if his star players are the violaters.

AZGrizFan
September 27th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Quinn
Russum
Coleman
Freeman

are the players, that I know of, that had existing rap sheets when Bobby brought them in... this obviously doesn't include the players that got into trouble after arriving in Missoula.

So, 4 of 85. 4.71%. Or, in other words, 95.29% of kids recruited had NO prior record. I'd HARDLY call that a trend. That's almost as bad as Ronbo trying to paint then entire southern half of California with a broad gangbanger/troublemaker/inner city/gun totin'/hotshot brush.

Doesn't fly.

USDFAN_55
September 27th, 2007, 06:28 PM
A coach needs to remind all his players at the start of every season, especially the incoming freshmen and transfers that playing on his team is a privilege, not a right. Also, that any player who violates the law or team policy WILL be appropriately punished, and stick with it, even if his star players are the violaters.

I agree 100%. Look what happened to San Diego's Josh Johnson this year. He broke a team rule, and was suspended for a game.

Green26
September 27th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Existing "rap sheets" for these guy? Are you kidding?
Quinn
Russum
Coleman
Freeman

Quinn had the ncaa violation at OK, and apparently a couple prior alcohol arrests in OK, including underage driving at .03. At UM, he was arrested for a DUI--and just finished a 2 game suspension for the DUI.

Russum was charged in Arizona with letting his roommate video him and girlfriend in bed. I assume the charge went away, but don't know. Russum has been in zero trouble in Missoula.

Coleman had a bat assault charge in high school, but still got a schollie to Iowa St. After a minor incident involving getting pushed, and pushing back, at a bathroom in a bar in Iowa--in which the charge was dropped almost immediately (and even tho he was in good standing on the team)--he transferred to UM. He has not been in any trouble at UM.

Freeman may be a different case. He had a girlfriend assault matter in Arizona, which was not known to the UM coaches and was not told to them by the AZ coaches. After coming to Missoula, he apparently didn't complete his courses/obligations to get out of his charges, and that resulted in 2 misdemeanor warrants in AZ, which were not known to UM until this June. In Missoula, this summer, he had 2 seemingly minor assault charges, one after he was kicked off the team. He was just acquitted of the first assault charge, which was supposedly throwing a beer bottle from a car at 3am behind a bar.

Griz0383
September 28th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I think Montana's corner backs have anger issues and may need immediate intervention and deep psychotherapy. I can't understand why they think they need to have a gun to protect them selves. stupid!

catatac
September 28th, 2007, 12:23 PM
So, 4 of 85. 4.71%. Or, in other words, 95.29% of kids recruited had NO prior record. I'd HARDLY call that a trend. That's almost as bad as Ronbo trying to paint then entire southern half of California with a broad gangbanger/troublemaker/inner city/gun totin'/hotshot brush.

Doesn't fly.

I didn't really say it was a trend... my point was the Bobby has brought in players with questionable backgrounds and obviously it's bit him in the a$$.

As for your percentages... some would argue that bringing in even ONE athlete with an arrest record would be too many. Personally I believe in giving people 2nd chances in some cases. For example, Kramer brought in Junior Adams a few years ago, who had some problems in his past and had been arrested. This is the only player I know of that was brought in with an arrest on his record. This was a case where it worked out though as he turned out to be a great student athlete and got into zero trouble at MSU.

AZGrizFan
September 28th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I didn't really say it was a trend... my point was the Bobby has brought in players with questionable backgrounds and obviously it's bit him in the a$$.

As for your percentages... some would argue that bringing in even ONE athlete with an arrest record would be too many. Personally I believe in giving people 2nd chances in some cases. For example, Kramer brought in Junior Adams a few years ago, who had some problems in his past and had been arrested. This is the only player I know of that was brought in with an arrest on his record. This was a case where it worked out though as he turned out to be a great student athlete and got into zero trouble at MSU.

And yet Gatewood, et. al., were clean, and look how they turned out. It's a crap shoot either way with 18 year olds.... xcoolx

catatac
September 28th, 2007, 03:10 PM
And yet Gatewood, et. al., were clean, and look how they turned out. It's a crap shoot either way with 18 year olds.... xcoolx

Agreed.