PDA

View Full Version : Who's the Most Famous Player that Played for or Against Your Team

Gil Dobie
March 9th, 2022, 10:04 PM
Saw this program on Ebay, so it got me wondering. I know JFK played for Harvard, UND played against Minnesota with Bronko Nagurski, who else is out there?

Montana vs UCLA football program from Ebay, played at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, with Jackie Robinson and Kenny Washington on the UCLA team.

Griz vs Bruins Link (https://www.ebay.com/itm/203603295305?hash=item2f67b3bc49:g:7K4AAOSwDq9hM52 B)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7K4AAOSwDq9hM52B/s-l500.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vD0AAOSwAcJhM52K/s-l500.jpg

lionsrking2
March 9th, 2022, 10:52 PM
Off the top of my head, Southeastern Louisiana has faced four Super Bowl QBs and two Heisman Trophy winners over the years. We've seen a number of famous guys overall, but these stand out—by the way, we beat Bradshaw, Staubach and Jaworksi, and Burrow had one his worst games as an LSU Tiger against us:

Terry Bradshaw
Roger Staubach
Ron Jaworski
Joe Burrow

FUBeAR
March 10th, 2022, 12:06 AM
Played for Furman
* Sam Wyche, NFL QB, Head Coach, Announcer, FUBeAR’s former employer @ Sam Wyche SportsWorld
* Stanford Jennings - RB for Bengals, Returned Kickoff for TD in Super Bowl XXIII, FUBeAR’s Teammate
* Ben Browder - star of SciFi TV Show “Farscape,” FUBeAR’s Teammate

Played against Furman
* Heisman Trophy Winner @ South Carolina, George Rogers
* Lawrence Taylor, UNC
* TO, Chattanooga
* Randy Moss, Marshall

Gil Dobie
March 10th, 2022, 02:01 AM
NFL GOATS Jerry Rice Mississippi Valley St, Walter Payton Jackson St

Sader87
March 10th, 2022, 07:38 AM
In the 1-AA era:

Played for HC:
*Gordie Lockbaum, 2-time Top 5 Heisman finalist
*Bruce Kozerski, long-time Bengal OL, started in Super Bowl
*Gil Fenerty, RB who played for the Saints and the CFL

Played against HC:
*Doug Flutie, BC Heisman Trophy winner
*Rich Gannon, Delaware QB, played in SB
*Ryan Fitzpatrick, Harvard QB, longtime NFLer

Probably forgetting others who played against HC in the 1-AA era. Going back to the 1-A era there are many including: Jim Brown, Larry Csonka and Ernie Davis for Syracuse RBs alone.

ST_Lawson
March 10th, 2022, 08:15 AM
Not sure about the most famous we've played against, but probably the most famous that we've had play for us was Rodney Harrison.

EKU05
March 10th, 2022, 12:58 PM
Here's a fun story:

Former EKU coach, and CFB Hall-of-Famer Roy kid played both ways in his days on the Colonel roster...long before he directed it. He was a QB and a DB. In a game against Louisville he once had three interceptions thrown by Louisville's little known QB...Johnny Unitas.

Also, I enrolled at EKU as a student in the fall of 2001. The first Colonel home game I ever attended was against Tony Romo and Eastern Illinois.

We also would have faced Jimmy Garoppolo in his EIU days. I'm trying to remember if we played Louisville when they had Lamar Jackson. I'm pretty sure we faced Teddy Bridgewater at one point.

Libertine
March 10th, 2022, 01:28 PM
Also, I enrolled at EKU as a student in the fall of 2001. The first Colonel home game I ever attended was against Tony Romo and Eastern Illinois.

Ha! I remember scouting the film of that game because we had you guys the following week. His NFL success was no surprise because you could clearly see he was a baller.

We went up against App State in 2000 and, after knocking their starting QB out of the game in the 2nd quarter, we felt pretty good about our chances until his backup -- (now) ESPN's Daniel Jeremiah -- came into the game and absolutely torched us.

I remember future NFL HOF'er Asante Samuel (UCF) and All-Pro Gerald Sensabaugh (ETSU) just toying with our QB's like the receivers weren't even there.

Our punter briefly went viral in 2018 -- thanks to Pat McAfee -- after turning himself into a cruise missile and getting ejected for targeting at Army. So, there's that.

wapiti
March 10th, 2022, 02:49 PM
Jan Stenerud (Spelling)
Danny Woodhead
Emmitt Smith

and much more recently: Cooper Kupp

kdinva
March 10th, 2022, 02:51 PM
Dexter Coakley (chasing Tommy Haskins), Randy Moss (VMI chasing him)

Hammerhead
March 10th, 2022, 03:18 PM
It's tough to pick the most famous when comparing current players to those who played decades ago. I would say Steve Nelson was the best player to play for NDSU. He was a linebacker and is one of seven Patriots to have his jersey number retired. Most famous I guess would be Carson Wentz.

Cooper Kupp might be the most "famous" opponent of the Bison in recent years.

wcugrad95
March 10th, 2022, 03:30 PM
In the last 10 seasons, WCU has played a number of SEC teams including Alabama twice (other games against Auburn, Texas A&M, Tennessee, and South Carolina were in there, too). Several other SoCon teams have played similar SEC opponents, so we could pick a bevy of current NFL stars on the "played against" list just from the recent past. Recency bias included, I would go with Derrick Henry (Alabama 2014) and Kyler Murray (Texas A&M 2015) - both Heisman winners, although Murray was obviously at a different school.

Playing for WCU, the easy route is to pick the guys who played in the NFL and had some success. Clyde Simmons had all-pro years in Philly, David Patten (who tragically passed away last year) won three Super Bowl titles in New England, Willie Williams played in two and won a Super Bowl and had several productive years for the Steelers and Seahawks, Tony Jones won two Super Bowls in Denver, and Brad Hoover was a long-time fan favorite for the Panthers who also played in the Super Bowl. There were some other really good players from back in the 80s who didn't enjoy the same success at the pro level - probably led by Kirk Roach who was a 3-time first team All-American/4-time All-SoCon kicker.

katss07
March 10th, 2022, 04:43 PM
Longtime NFL QB Josh McCown would have to be SHSU's most famous player.

Against? Johnny Manziel in 2013 at Kyle Field? Cooper Kupp in the FCS kickoff on ESPN? Steve McNair, when 16,000 fans packed Bowers for a game on ABC? Take your pick.

UAalum72
March 10th, 2022, 05:09 PM
Saw this program on Ebay, so it got me wondering. I know JFK played for Harvard, UND played against Minnesota with Bronko Nagurski, who else is out there?I don't think JFK played for Harvard, but Ted Kennedy did (as did Tommy Lee Jones)

The only famous opponent for Albany I can think of is Joe Flacco

aceinthehole
March 10th, 2022, 07:47 PM
Are we talking non-football “celebrity” or famous (well known) athlete?

For 80s TV fans, Richard Grieco, of 21 Jump Street fame, was a member of the CCSU football team for a few seasons before going into modeling and acting due to an injury.

Our most “famous” football alumni would include 2 NFL coaches (Dave Campo and Mike Sherman) and former NFL General manager Scott Pioli.

Central played against Dan Lauria, the actor best known as the dad in The Wonder Years, who played for Southern Connecticut State.

Franks Tanks
March 10th, 2022, 07:56 PM
Jim Thorpe

bulldog10jw
March 10th, 2022, 08:47 PM
Six Heisman Trophy winners have played in the Yale Bowl. Yale's two winners, Larry Kelley and Clint Frank, plus Tom Harmon (Michigan), Glen Davis (Army), Dick Kazmaier (Princeton), and Doug Flutie (Boston College)

Gil Dobie
March 10th, 2022, 09:28 PM
I don't think JFK played for Harvard, but Ted Kennedy did (as did Tommy Lee Jones)

The only famous opponent for Albany I can think of is Joe Flacco

JFK was injured his Soph year on the JV team.
https://dailyjfk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/JV-football2.jpg

Gil Dobie
March 10th, 2022, 09:32 PM
Six Heisman Trophy winners have played in the Yale Bowl. Yale's two winners, Larry Kelley and Clint Frank, plus Tom Harmon (Michigan), Glen Davis (Army), Dick Kazmaier (Princeton), and Doug Flutie (Boston College)

28 College Football Hall of Fame (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Hall_of_Fame) inductees, including the "Father of American Football" Walter Camp (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Camp), the first professional football player Pudge Heffelfinger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudge_Heffelfinger), and coaching giants Amos Alonzo Stagg (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amos_Alonzo_Stagg), Howard Jones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Jones_(American_football_coach)), Tad Jones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._A._Dwight_Jones) and Carmen Cozza (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Cozza).

Also had GHW Bush on the baseball team at one time.

Gil Dobie
March 10th, 2022, 09:39 PM
Dwight Eisenhower played against Yale and Colgate in 1912. The Holy Cross game was cancelled.

ysubigred
March 10th, 2022, 10:14 PM
Against: Carson Wentz [emoji1787]

For: Ed O'Neill
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 10th, 2022, 11:47 PM

Ed O'Neill is truly a football legend!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C80ucGnXYAAaw-F.jpg
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/a/uploads/original/2/26751/636083-albundy33.jpg

Milktruck74
March 11th, 2022, 06:53 AM
Dexter Coakley (chasing Tommy Haskins), Randy Moss (VMI chasing him)

At Fork Union, I was on the same team as Coakley, Haskins, and Moss. Well, not Randy, Eric...his older brother that went to Ohio State.

But as far as College goes...I was on the same team as TO, and my played against is either Randy Moss or Steve McNair.

BS50
March 11th, 2022, 07:03 AM
Lindenwood started football in the early 90's. They were in the NAIA up until 2012 when they moved to the MIAA (D2), then jumped over to the GLVC.

So there's not been many "big time names" they've faced. I know they played UAB early on in the program history, but I don't know if there were any notable players.

Off the top of my head.....

Delaney Walker (UCM)
John Brown (Pitt State)
Brandon Williams (Missouri Southern)
Tershawn Wharton (Missouri S&T)

My memory isn't that great, but those are of the top of my head. Wharton is quickly becoming one of the better defensive linemen in the league with the Chiefs. He was really good at S&T, but I had no idea he'd do what he's doing in the NFL.

ysubigred
March 11th, 2022, 08:22 AM
Ed O'Neill is truly a football legend!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C80ucGnXYAAaw-F.jpg
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/a/uploads/original/2/26751/636083-albundy33.jpg

Probably a better commencement speaker than a football player :D

ST_Lawson
March 11th, 2022, 08:46 AM
The first Colonel home game I ever attended was against Tony Romo and Eastern Illinois.

We faced off against Romo at EIU in 2002 in the playoffs and crushed them 48-9: http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/02/wiu-n30.htm

clenz
March 11th, 2022, 08:49 AM
Not sure about the most famous we've played against, but probably the most famous that we've had play for us was Rodney Harrison.
I'll answer your other side since you answered mine

Kurt Warner

ST_Lawson
March 11th, 2022, 09:16 AM

Kurt Warner

Ah...yup. That's probably the one. I can't believe I didn't think of him since his era of Rams spent a number of summer training camps at WIU.

ysubigred
March 11th, 2022, 11:04 AM

Kurt Warner

Was he the Starting QB in 92? Wiki says he was but you can't believe everything you read on the net.

Thanks!

walliver
March 11th, 2022, 11:15 AM
Our most famous football alumnus is obviously Jerry Richardson.

Our most famous recent famous opponents would be Travis Etienne and Trevor Lawrence. We played against Jadeveon Clowney's team but he was held out of the game since he apparently struggled against the triple option in practice.

Since most SoCon teams play money games against the upper half of the P5, I suspect each school has a large number of great opponents (who at least play a quarter or two). A lot of SoCon schools have even played against the incredibly famous FUBear.

FUBeAR
March 11th, 2022, 11:25 AM
A lot of SoCon schools have even played against the incredibly famous FUBear.Thank you, Walliver. FUBeAR was wondering how MilkTruck and WCUGrad95 posted in this thread without citing FUBeAR among the most famous peeps that their schools had played against. Your accuracy & attention to detail is quite noteworthy!

clenz
March 11th, 2022, 11:49 AM
Was he the Starting QB in 92? Wiki says he was but you can't believe everything you read on the net.

Thanks!
Warner only started his senior season - 93

90-92 was Jay Johnson, who still holds most UNI records (or is top 2 or 3 in the others). Johnson was an All American, set records, was top 10 nationally in pass efficiency, etc.

In 3 seasons as Johnson's back up Kurt went 28-56 for 483 yards with 2 TDs and 2 picks

There's been a lot of re-writing of Kurt's time at UNI about how the coaches at UNI didn't like him, didn't know how to use him, refused to play him, etc. all while ignoring it wasn't like he was sitting behind a Rex Grossman type QB. Johnson was 31-8 as a starter in those three seasons, threw for 8,400 yards, 60 TD, and went 12-2 as a senior with a trip to the semis. Those kind of numbers today seem decent to good. In 1992 it was pretty damn uncommon.

ysubigred
March 11th, 2022, 12:24 PM
Warner only started his senior season - 93

90-92 was Jay Johnson, who still holds most UNI records (or is top 2 or 3 in the others). Johnson was an All American, set records, was top 10 nationally in pass efficiency, etc.

In 3 seasons as Johnson's back up Kurt went 28-56 for 483 yards with 2 TDs and 2 picks

There's been a lot of re-writing of Kurt's time at UNI about how the coaches at UNI didn't like him, didn't know how to use him, refused to play him, etc. all while ignoring it wasn't like he was sitting behind a Rex Grossman type QB. Johnson was 31-8 as a starter in those three seasons, threw for 8,400 yards, 60 TD, and went 12-2 as a senior with a trip to the semis. Those kind of numbers today seem decent to good. In 1992 it was pretty damn uncommon.

Thanks!

I was debating putting Kurt on here since we played UNI in the 92 playoff's. My YSU bud from Meatchicken didn't think he played in that 92 game.. There are plenty of choices for YSU as to famous players that played against us. Was going to throw up Steve McNair also.. i went with Wentz since it's most relevant to the audience on AGS.

caribbeanhen
March 11th, 2022, 01:19 PM
Lot’s of em
For Delaware
Joe Flacco
Rich Gannon
Joe Biden (Freshman team according to him)
Lots more

Against
Adrian Peterson. Georgia Southern
Randy Moss Marshall
Micheal Westbrook Nova
Napoleon Macullem Navy
Howie Long Nova
Mike Siani Nova

many more

Milktruck74
March 11th, 2022, 01:33 PM
Our most famous football alumnus is obviously Jerry Richardson.

Our most famous recent famous opponents would be Travis Etienne and Trevor Lawrence. We played against Jadeveon Clowney's team but he was held out of the game since he apparently struggled against the triple option in practice.

Since most SoCon teams play money games against the upper half of the P5, I suspect each school has a large number of great opponents (who at least play a quarter or two). A lot of SoCon schools have even played against the incredibly famous FUBear.

Yeah, I'd say every SoCon Team has some big named guys...many NFL HOF guys since they used to get a money game against an ACC/SEC squad every 2 or 3 years. Maybe ask who is the most famous player to play on your campus? Eliminates the Money games...

clenz
March 11th, 2022, 01:43 PM
Forgot Moss absolutely butt humping UNI in the 96 semis

Gil Dobie
March 11th, 2022, 01:52 PM
NDSU played against Minnesota with Bud Wilkinson as a player and coach Bernie Bierman

The Cats
March 11th, 2022, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I'd say every SoCon Team has some big named guys...many NFL HOF guys since they used to get a money game against an ACC/SEC squad every 2 or 3 years. Maybe ask who is the most famous player to play on your campus? Eliminates the Money games...

Besides FUBear, the most famous to play on the fiels and for WCU:

Dean Biasucci - A leader in WCU's drive to NCAA I-AA championship game in 1983 when he booted 18 field goals and put 80% of kickoffs in the end zone. He spent 11 seasons in the NFL, 10 with the Indianapolis Colts where he became the leagues, all-time scoring leader. Ended his career with St. Louis Rams in 1995 with nearly 200 field goals, All-Pro in 1987 and set NFL season record for most 50-yard field goals in a season and is number four all-time in 50 yard plus kicks.

Brad Hoover - As a Catamount, Hoover rushed for 3,616 career yards - second-most in school history - which included a Western Carolina single-season record 1,663 yards in 1998. His 251 rushing yards and then Southern Conference record-tying five touchdowns against VMI in 1998 were also school records until 2016. In his career with the NFL's Carolina Panthers, where he was a fan favorite as an undrafted free agent. Listed as a fullback on the Panthers' roster, Hoover played in 141 games over nine seasons (2000-2008) with 264 rushes for 909 career yards and two rushing touchdowns, adding 141 career catches for 1,023 yards and five scores. His best career individual performance came on a national stage on Monday Night Football where Hoover rushed for 117 yards and a touchdown against Green Bay (Nov. 27, 2000) becoming just the second rookie in franchise history to eclipse the 100-yard mark in a single-game.

Kirk Roach - The most honored player in Western Carolina's football history and a member of the Southern Conference's 75th Anniversary Football Team. He is WCU's and the Southern Conference's first three-time All American Selection (1984, 1986, 1987) and at the time of his induction, one of only three conference players to be named All-Southern Conference four times (1984-87). He owned the distinction of being WCU's highest NFL draft choice - fifth by the Buffalo Bills in 1987. He kicked 71 field goals including 11 of 50 or more yards and accounted for 302 points. He missed only one extra point attempt in four seasons. In 2006, Roach had his No. 14 jersey number honored in a special on-field ceremony in Cullowhee.

Clyde Simmons - At the time of his induction to the WCU Hall of Fame, he ranked ninth on the Catamounts all-time list for total hits as a lineman. Following a stellar 1985 season, Simmons was named first-team All-Southern Conference and first-team All-America by the Football Coaches Association. Simmons was drafted in 1986 by the Philadelphia Eagles and enjoyed a 15-year NFL career in which he was a numerous time Pro Bowl selection and was NFL leader in sacks in 1992. Simmons returned to WCU to complete his degree requirements and graduated in May 1996.

ysubigred
March 11th, 2022, 02:46 PM
Lot’s of em
For Delaware
Joe Flacco
Rich Gannon
Lots more

Against
Randy Moss Marshall
Micheal Westbrook Nova
Napoleon Macullem Navy
Howie Long Nova
Mike Siani Nova

many more

Who's Joe Biden?? xsmiley_wix

FormerPokeCenter
March 11th, 2022, 05:31 PM
Most famous player for McNeese?

Eh, that's a hard one. Unfortunately, it's probably going to be Cecil "The Diesel" Collins, but not for any positive reason....but we sent him packing after a few weeks and he ended up playing for the Miami Dolphins the next year, en route to a career in the Florida Penal System. Heisman Finalist Tyrann Matthieu showed up on campus and was ready to enroll, but - after Collins - we told him to go home and think about it, so he ended up sitting out that year and entering the draft. And then there was Jantzen Jackson, talented enough to start at Tennessee as a freshman, but got into trouble and is now living in a California penal facility, I think.

On the non-negative news note, we had Rusty Guildbeau, who was a member of the Sack Pack for the NY Jets, Kavika Pittman of the Cowboys, Leonard Smith who as an all-pro and went to multiple Super Bowls with Buffalo, Stephen Starring who set an NFL record for most kickoff return yards in a SuperBowl while with New England, and the very recently departed Keith Ortego, who's not-so-smooth dance moves were immortalized in the SuperBowl Shuffle video while he was with the Chicago Bears. White guy, wearing Ditka's #89, "dancing" over Willie Gault's shoulder in the video.

Against?

Heisman Trophy winner Staubach, when he played for Pensacola Navy
Phil "Duck Commander" Robertson - Louisiana Tech
Terry Bradshaw - Louisiana Tech
Roger Carr - Louisiana Tech
Bubby Brister - Northeast Louisiana
Stan Humphries - Northeast Louisiana
Randy Moss - Marshall
Any one of about 17 First Round draft choices who played for the 2001 Edition of the Miami Hurricanes;
Clinton Portis, Frank Gore, Jeremy Shockey, Jonathan Vilma, Ed Reed and Kellen Winslow II come to mind. I'm sure there are others.
Daunte Culpepper UCF
Darryl Green Texas A&I, Washington Redskins and the NFL's fastest man. Starring, though, who had a 4.26 in the 40, a 13.6 in the 110 meter highs, a 10.28 in the 100 and a 26 foot long jump, outran the angle on him....
Bruce Collie - Texas Arlington Won several Superbowls with San Francisco.

And then there are outliers like Steve Williams, aka Stone Cold Steve Austin, who played at North Texas State

NY Crusader 2010
March 12th, 2022, 10:58 AM
In the 1-AA era:

Played for HC:
*Gordie Lockbaum, 2-time Top 5 Heisman finalist
*Bruce Kozerski, long-time Bengal OL, started in Super Bowl
*Gil Fenerty, RB who played for the Saints and the CFL

Played against HC:
*Doug Flutie, BC Heisman Trophy winner
*Rich Gannon, Delaware QB, played in SB
*Ryan Fitzpatrick, Harvard QB, longtime NFLer

Probably forgetting others who played against HC in the 1-AA era. Going back to the 1-A era there are many including: Jim Brown, Larry Csonka and Ernie Davis for Syracuse RBs alone.

Will add a few from my era and more recently:

Victor Cruz WR UMASS => SB champ with Giants in 2011
Liam Coen QB UMASS => newly hired OC for the defending SB champion LA Rams
Kyle Juzcyck FB Harvard => fullback with both Ravens and 49ers
Cameron Brate TE Harvard => SB champ with Bucs in 2020
Zach DeOssie LB Brown => longtime NY Giants long-snapper and 2-time SB champ
Matt Sczcur ATH Villanova => World Champion with Chicago Cubs
John Skelton QB Fordham => started multiple games at QB with Arizona Cardinals in a brief NFL career. 2012 Cardinals may have had weakest QB room in history of NFL.
Chase Edmonds RB Fordham => in midst of a successful career thus far as 2nd string halfback with Arizona Cardinals
AJ Dillon RB Boston College => current 2nd string RB for the Green Bay Packers => in our game in '18 at one point I think he had 170 yards on 3 carries.

You forgot Khalif Raymond, Holy Cross '16 => journeyman NFL WR / PR most recently with the Detroit Lions in 2021

Ridge1982
March 12th, 2022, 07:27 PM
Lindenwood: Pierre Desir (Indianapolis, Tampa Bay 2014-present), DeDe Dorsey (Won a Super Bowl with the Colts in 2006), Connor Harris (NFLer for two seasons), Brian Schaefering ( NFL for 4), Jonathan Harris (DE-Denver Broncos, 2019-present)

Ridge1982
March 12th, 2022, 07:40 PM
Ah...yup. That's probably the one. I can't believe I didn't think of him since his era of Rams spent a number of summer training camps at WIU.
and Lindenwood (August 2000)

SFA 93
March 12th, 2022, 08:12 PM
SFA

Bum Phillips - Head Coach of Houston Oilers
Spike Dykes - Head Coach Texas Tech Red Raiders
Larry Centers - Super Bowl Champion (Holds NFL Record for my receptions (827) caught by a RB)
Jeremiah Trotter - Philadelphia Eagles Hall of Fame (LB)
John Franklin-Myers - Current NFL starter for the New York Jets (DL)
Willie Jefferson - CFL 3X Grey Cup Champion (DL)
Mark Moseley - Super Bowl Champion NFL MVP (PK) Washington Redskins Ring of Honor

Henny
March 13th, 2022, 08:28 AM
Lot’s of em
For Delaware
Joe Flacco
Rich Gannon
Lots more

Against
Randy Moss Marshall
Micheal Westbrook Nova
Napoleon Macullem Navy
Howie Long Nova
Mike Siani Nova

many more

My cousin was a starting guard on that 62' team and he doesn't remember him playing at all (not a political statement, just a fact).

DFW HOYA
March 13th, 2022, 11:06 PM
Way back when:
Jim Thorpe

Recently:
No one

HAL_9000
March 14th, 2022, 05:53 AM

Oh my, Ed O'Neill's fictional "Polk High" was YSU? Outstanding.

CHIP72
March 15th, 2022, 09:07 AM
Penn Quakers players:
*John Heisman (yes, THAT Heisman)
*John Outland (yes, THAT Outland)
*Bert Bell (NFL Commissioner, Philadelphia Eagles founder/owner/head coach)
*Chuck Bednarik

Villanova Wildcats players:
*Howie Long
*Brian Westbrook

JALMOND
March 15th, 2022, 09:05 PM
Famous Portland State: Neil Lomax

Famous that played against Portland State: Marshawn Lynch (Cal), Marcus Mariotta (Oregon), Cooper Kupp (EWU). I'm sure I'm missing a few others.

Milktruck74
March 16th, 2022, 06:19 AM
Who's Joe Biden?? xsmiley_wix

Sadly, I believe he ask that of himself quite often!!!

UNAPride
March 16th, 2022, 02:41 PM
UNA has had 20 NFL Draft Picks and several others play in the league. Several stick out in my mind including...

Old School OG - Harlon Hill (Played for the Bears and D2 POY named after him) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlon_Hill

From the 80s - Lewis Billups (2nd Round Draft Pick and played for the Bengals several seasons) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Billups

From the 90s - Ronald McKinnon (Undrafted but played almost a decade for the Cardinals; only defensive Harlon Hill winner; College Football HOF inductee) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_McKinnon

From the 2000s - Janoris Jenkins (transferred from FL after issues there, balled out at UNA for one season before being drafted in 2nd Round) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janoris_Jenkins

Played against? I'm sure there are many but a recent one that jumps out to me is...

From D2 days - Tyreek Hill (played for West AL and now the KC Chiefs) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyreek_Hill

McNeese72
March 22nd, 2022, 02:11 PM
I always have to answer the against question with Roger Staubach.

Second choice would be Terry Bradshaw.

Doc

Daytripper
March 23rd, 2022, 12:19 PM
Steve McNair

NY Crusader 2010
March 27th, 2022, 08:38 AM
I always have to answer the against question with Roger Staubach.

Second choice would be Terry Bradshaw.

Doc

McNeese State played Navy during the Staubach era?

ElCid
March 27th, 2022, 09:57 AM
McNeese State played Navy during the Staubach era?

He wasn't playing for the Naval Academy then, but for the Pensacola NAS. He had to do his hitch first before he played pro.

SU DOG
March 30th, 2022, 05:44 PM
SAMFORD
For:
Bobby Bowden QB
Jimbo Fisher QB
James Bradberry DB (current NFL star)

Against: Paul Bear Bryant
Daunte Culpepper
Steve Air McNair

MR. CHICKEN
April 5th, 2022, 10:15 AM
.....LOTTA MO' FAMOUS...ALREADY MENTIONED....FO'/AGIN' DELAWARE......HERE'S A FEW MORE:

WAYNE CHREBET HOFSTRA/JETS
JOE KLECKO TEMPLE/JETS
STEVE WATSON TEMPLE/BRONCOS
PAUL PALMER TEMPLE/BENGALS (AH THINK).........BRAWK!

...SAINTS HAD UH HOFSTRA WR FEW YEARS AGO....NAME ESCAPES......AWK!

ngineer
April 5th, 2022, 01:29 PM
Most famous opposing player, as a player at the time,(and not someone who became famous later due to politics or becoming a 'captain of industy'), would have been Jim Thorpe who lead the Carlisle Indian School over Lehigh in 1912 at, then, Taylor field in Bethlehem. Both teams were ranked in the top 5 teams in the country at the time.
My guess is that our most famous football player, as a player, would have been All-American Pat Pazetti, who quarterbacked the Lehigh team against Thorpe's team in 1912. Of course, publicity is a bit different over the past 50 years. The most noted football players in terms of the NFL would be the late John Hill, who captained Lehigh's 1971 team as center, was All-American and spent 15 years in the NFL at center, the last 13 with New Orleans and was their captain a good number of those years.

OhioHen
April 5th, 2022, 01:54 PM
...SAINTS HAD UH HOFSTRA WR FEW YEARS AGO....NAME ESCAPES......AWK!
Marques Colston

MR. CHICKEN
April 5th, 2022, 02:07 PM
Marques Colston

....YES...THKS!

UAalum72
April 5th, 2022, 02:53 PM
Not a player, but in the first ever Albany football game in the modern era, the opposing head coach for Rochester Institute of Technology was Tom Coughlin, later HC at Boston College, the Jacksonville Jaguars, and the New York Giants.

BEAR
April 5th, 2022, 02:57 PM
UCA had Washington Redskins Ring of Honor member Monte Coleman:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWs0ViGWwAI_KQu?format=jpg&name=small

Redbird 4th & short
April 13th, 2022, 02:34 PM
Most "famous" to play FOR my ISUr ... Colton Underwood, DE, class of 2013 .. might just be way more famous than many of you realize !

- Several All American and All Conference awards from 2010-13
- Several all time top 10 defense stats for ISUr
- 2 time Buck Buchanon award finalist
- Brother Casey was stud LBer for ISUb
- Father was stud for Redbirds
- bounced around several NFL rosters, most as practice squad player

But wait, theres more ....

- Starred as one of many contestants on The Bachelorette after getting cut by Raiders .. this led directly to next 2 accomplishments
- Starred in Bachelor in Paradise the very next season .. but got to emotionally involved and left the show midway thru the season .. even still ..
- Starred the very next season as one of the more popular/controversial bachelors ever the next season of The Bachelor. In addition to being very good looking nice guy, he became America's most popular virgin and and fence hopper - see video below
- continued relationship with bachelorette star Cassie, ultimately leading to their breakup and subsequent restraining order against Colton ... he kinda couldn't let go
- very publicly pursued relationship with gymnast Ali Rysman, which hppened and then ended quickly by Ali.
- then very publicly came out as gay, including revealing this to his dad with a camera crew in tow

Now the facts remain .. Colton Underwood was a very good football player, teamate, and human being. But he kind of loved the camera, and sought to make his very personal life very public .. and made some money in the process.

As for the fence jump capture on The Bachelorette when he walked out on a scene distraught over a relationship situation ... he pulled this impressive feat off. All real by the way but with a very Blair Witch Project like quality. To quote the Bachelorette host ... "he just jumped the f-ing fence ?".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaPq4FM5gD8

KPSUL
April 30th, 2022, 09:54 PM
New Hampshire:

FOR: tie between Dan Kreider FB and Corey Graham DB.
Kreider played 10 years in the NFL, 8 for the Steelers.
Graham, 12 years in the NFL - Bears, Ravens, Bills, Eagles

AGAINST: Joe Flacco

UNH current Head Coach Ricky Santos out-dueled Joe Flacco in games two consecutive seasons, 2006 and 2007

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 1st, 2022, 07:01 AM
New Hampshire:

FOR: tie between Dan Kreider FB and Corey Graham DB.
Kreider played 10 years in the NFL, 8 for the Steelers.
Graham, 12 years in the NFL - Bears, Ravens, Bills, Eagles

AGAINST: Joe Flacco

UNH current Head Coach Ricky Santos out-dueled Joe Flacco in games two consecutive seasons, 2006 and 2007

For against I'll add Greg Landry QB at UMass 1965-1967. He played and started most of his career for the Detroit Lions and then the Baltimore Colts 1968-1981. Greg was the first QB taken in the 1968 draft, the 11th overall pick, and was born in Nashua, NH where he played his HS ball.

Katfan
May 7th, 2022, 03:31 PM
Longtime NFL QB Josh McCown would have to be SHSU's most famous player.

Against? Johnny Manziel in 2013 at Kyle Field? Cooper Kupp in the FCS kickoff on ESPN? Steve McNair, when 16,000 fans packed Bowers for a game on ABC? Take your pick.
I’d say Wilbert Montgomery of ACU.

Daytripper
May 7th, 2022, 03:33 PM
I’d say Wilbert Montgomery of ACU.

I said Steve McNair.

Daytripper
May 7th, 2022, 03:34 PM
If we are just talking about "fame" then it might be Johnny F***ing Football.

100%GRIZ
May 8th, 2022, 10:06 AM
Cooper Kupp, Tony Romo, Michael Ray Richardson, Wentz

Son of Eli
May 8th, 2022, 04:37 PM

I would add to that Calvin Hill, Dick Jauron, Gary Fencik, Eric Johnson, Kenny Hill, John Spagnola and Foye Oluokun all played for Yale. Ed Marinaro, Tommy Lee Jones,Jason Garrett and Reggie Williams played against.

Fame is fleeting so it’s a moving target. I’d say the person who played for Yale with the most lasting legacy is Walter Camp, the Father of American Football and one of the 24 Yale members of the College Football Hall of Fame.