PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction: A 9-2 Delaware State makes playoffs w/ wins vs Coastal & Hampton?

R.A.
September 24th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Fact or Fiction?

A 9-2 Delaware State team, receives a 2007 at- large bid into the playoffs, with wins over Coastal Carolina and Hampton.

Why or Why Not?

andy7171
September 24th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Wouldn't a 7-1 MEAC team with a win over Hampton get an AQ? In this situation is SCSU goes 8-0 in MEAC play?

9-2 with wins over CCU and Hampton? I say yes, unless there are a ton of 9-2 teams.

R.A.
September 24th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Wouldn't a 7-1 MEAC team with a win over Hampton get an AQ? In this situation is SCSU goes 8-0 in MEAC play?

9-2 with wins over CCU and Hampton? I say yes, unless there are a ton of 9-2 teams.

SCSU is picked to be the 2007 MEAC Champion. The Bulldogs are the 2007preseason pick to win it all. hampton's picked 2nd.

GannonFan
September 24th, 2007, 12:20 PM
It would be iffy. Coastal isn't very good this year and that's the only OOC FCS game. DSU would have to hope that Hampton wins both against Princeton and SIU. But also depends a lot on the rest of the FCS and how many 9-2 and 8-3 teams there are, but you'll see 8-3 teams from better conferences getting in before a 9-2 DSU.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 24th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I think there are going to be way too many solid AL bid candidates for this year for the MEAC to get an AL. The MEAC isn't very high on the priority list for getting AL teams. Hampton is a good team, but you have to have more than just one good game to make a good case.

This will definitly be one of those years where we say it would have been better to have the expanded playoffs.

R.A.
September 24th, 2007, 12:31 PM
It would be iffy. Coastal isn't very good this year and that's the only OOC FCS game. DSU would have to hope that Hampton wins both against Princeton and SIU. But also depends a lot on the rest of the FCS and how many 9-2 and 8-3 teams there are, but you'll see 8-3 teams from better conferences getting in before a 9-2 DSU.

That sounds honest, and correct.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2007, 12:35 PM
A 9-2 Delaware State team is absolutely in the playoffs in that scenario, period. They would have beaten two ranked teams (Coastal at the time, and Hampton) and lost to one ranked team (SC St.) and an FBS team (Kent State).

If they lose to NCA&T then all bets are off, but the scenario you're describing is a slam-dunk for an at-large, period. Furthermore, where's the competition for at-larges coming from? Probably not the GWFC (Cal Poly has to run the table) or the Big South...

Point being that, where are the 9-2 teams going to come from? The 3rd and 4th Gateway/CAA teams won't by definition, while the GWFC and Big South don't look like they'll have at-larges (at 9-2, anyway). Add to this the OVC flat-out stinks, the Patriot League would have at maximum one two loss team (every team has a loss in the Patriot) and the Southland is extremely likely to after this week (Northwestern State will most likely lose to Texas Tech).

GannonFan
September 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Furthermore, where's the competition for at-larges coming from? Probably not the GWFC (Cal Poly has to run the table) or the Big South...

The CAA, the SoCon, the Gateway - a lot of potential at large teams this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2007, 12:40 PM
The CAA, the SoCon, the Gateway - a lot of potential at large teams this year.

Not with 9-2 records.

aust42
September 24th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Delaware State is going to have to win the conference to make the playoffs. The MEAC is relatively weak compared to the other conferences and seldom has received an at large bid.

GannonFan
September 24th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Not with 9-2 records.

A lot of teams from those conferences will get in at 8-3 before DSU gets in at 9-2. xpeacex

walliver
September 24th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I think it's impossible to tell now since we don't know how many teams will be eligible for a spot yet.

Some years there are a number of good teams on the bubble, while in other years (like 2003, for example) the committee has to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find playoff eligible teams. (The SoCon only had one team in the playoffs that year)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM
A lot of teams from those conferences will get in at 8-3 before DSU gets in at 9-2. xpeacex

I'm not so sure due to the nature of their losses. It's hard to call their schedule isht when they played 3 ranked opponents and (in this case) beat one of them AND an FBS team. Think of it this way, too: they would have beaten two playoff participants from last year.

I just don't think there's going to be enough 8-3 teams to make this a discussion as well. And remember how unlikely it is to get three at-larges from the same conference.

Millwoch
September 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Well there will be at least 2 and possible 3 out of the following 5 schools in the socon (in order of who will make it...Wofford, Appy, Furman(must win this week), Citadel, Elon, and don't forget Chatty still could get the automatic bid if they con't winning (doubtful). But the Big South will not get a team in like last year, so that could make up the difference.

Wofford's win this week was huge, because they can afford to slip up this week or next and still get in. Elon is ranked in The Sports Network poll at 24 and appears to be able to score at will. We will know a lot more in the next two weeks with Appy at Elon and Wofford at FU and at El Cid back to back. Citadel plays Wofford, FU, Appy, and Elon at home. Is this an advantage? We will see.

R.A.
September 24th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Delaware State is going to have to win the conference to make the playoffs. The MEAC is relatively weak compared to the other conferences and seldom has received an at large bid.

That's what people say... but the MEAC can potentially have victories over the Ivy League Conference Champion, the Gateway Conference Champion, and the Big South Conference Champion... potentially... all hypothetical of course.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Well there will be at least 2 and possible 3 out of the following 5 schools in the socon (in order of who will make it...Wofford, Appy, Furman(must win this week), Citadel, Elon, and don't forget Chatty still could get the automatic bid if they con't winning (doubtful). But the Big South will not get a team in like last year, so that could make up the difference.

Wofford's win this week was huge, because they can afford to slip up this week or next and still get in. Elon is ranked in The Sports Network poll at 24 and appears to be able to score at will. We will know a lot more in the next two weeks with Appy at Elon and Wofford at FU and at El Cid back to back. Citadel plays Wofford, FU, Appy, and Elon at home. Is this an advantage? We will see.

I agree that the SoCon is looking like a lock for two, with a possibility for three (which probably happens only if there is a three-way tie for the SoCon championship). But this tails into my point that it's extremely unlikely that the "power conferences" will have enough to take up all eight at-large qualifiers while at the same time there are few non-AQ/independent teams that will also qualify. Even the number of non-power conferences looking at at-larges even looks shaky (OVC, Patriot, Southland).

If I had to guess, the Big Sky/CAA/Gateway/SoCon will nab five of the eight at-larges, with X number of teams fighting for the last three. A 9-2 Delaware State team, with a win against two ranked teams, has to be put to near the top of that at-large list.

GannonFan
September 24th, 2007, 01:30 PM
The thing is, yes, Coastal was ranked when DSU beat them, but does that carry any weight if Coastal ends up .500, or worse, this year? When you look at a schedule in the middle of November and judge it, a win against Coastal may not look all that impressive. Saying they beat a ranked team who ends up 4-7 isn't a feather in the cap.

As for at larges, remember the one tricky thing about the CAA - the conference schedule. JMU, UD, and Richmond all miss UMass and Hofstra this year. It wouldn't be surprising to see a bunch of CAA teams middling at 9-2 and 8-3 because of the scheduling, and the CAA's been pretty good OOC against the FCS this year so you could see a repeat of '04 and have 4 CAA teams make it (AQ and 3 at larges).

henfan
September 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Who knows at this early stage? DSU is a looooooong way from 9 wins and the season for every other at-large candidate is loooooong from over. Any team with 9 Division I wins from an auto-bid conference will get very serious consideration. 7 wins might even win the MEAC.

Black and Gold Express
September 24th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Not with 9-2 records.

Any 8-3 team from the SoCon, Gateway, or CAA would be more deserving than a 9-2 MEAC team. Until the MEAC actually figures out a way to win some playoff games, their conference can and should be viewed as one of the weakest in I-AA.

ChickenMan
September 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM
The thing is, yes, Coastal was ranked when DSU beat them, but does that carry any weight if Coastal ends up .500, or worse, this year? When you look at a schedule in the middle of November and judge it, a win against Coastal may not look all that impressive. Saying they beat a ranked team who ends up 4-7 isn't a feather in the cap.

As for at larges, remember the one tricky thing about the CAA - the conference schedule. JMU, UD, and Richmond all miss UMass and Hofstra this year. It wouldn't be surprising to see a bunch of CAA teams middling at 9-2 and 8-3 because of the scheduling, and the CAA's been pretty good OOC against the FCS this year so you could see a repeat of '04 and have 4 CAA teams make it (AQ and 3 at larges).

I agree.. JMU, UMass, UD, Richmond, UNH, Hofstra and Villanova all have a shot at 8 or more wins this year. I definately can see one or more CAA schools at 8-3.. being left out in the cold come playoff time.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I agree.. JMU, UMass, UD, Richmond, UNH, Hofstra and Villanova all have a shot at 8 or more wins this year. I definately can see one or more CAA schools at 8-3.. being left out in the cold come playoff time.

Gee, CM, leave anybody out? xrolleyesx

I would not put it past the CAA to have three at larges. Nor would I put it past the SoCon, Gateway, or Big Sky. But the likelihood that combined these conferences take up all the at-larges is remote. I believe a conference has only gotten three at-large berths two times, and when that happens it has usually been balanced out by another "power conference" having 0 or 1 at-larges.

And I'm hearing crickets waiting for other non-power conference at-large possibilities...

So, let's recap. It's extremely unlikely that all the at-large teams will all be members of the power conferences, and it has never happened before the playoffs became 16 teams. There are no real independents that anybody can name that are clearly ahead of Delaware State. Nor are there any slam-dunk at-larges from non-power conferences. You're telling me that after all this, a team that beat two ranked teams during the year and only lost to a ranked team and an FBS team during the year has anything to prove to the committee? They're top of the list. Period.

If the subject matter were: "Does a 9-2 Samford team make the playoffs with losses to Georgia Tech and Eastern Illinois", folks would be falling over themselves to say they deserve inclusion, but somehow when the subject is the Hornets, they have to prove themselves? What more to they need to do?

HensRock
September 24th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Not with 9-2 records.

I think odds are pretty good that at least 3 teams in the CAA will finish 9-2 or better this year.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 24th, 2007, 04:01 PM
What more do they need to do? Nothing more than win the conference.

After that, it's a beauty contest. The MEAC is unfortunately purty ugly compared to SoCon, Gateway and CAA. The CAA is a combined 15-2 against FCS teams I believe. That means teams have stronger resumes at 8-3 than at 9-2. SOS does count for something, as does historical success of your conference, whether you like it or not.

Scheduling-wise, it is definitely shaping up to be one of those off years where the CAA could be talking 4 playoff teams come November. But the good teams have to stay good, and the weak teams have to not have their usual share of upsets.

If everyone beats each other up enough, then yes, 9-2 will be hard to deny. But Del St. has little control over that.

MR. CHICKEN
September 24th, 2007, 06:35 PM
LET US SAY DAT...UH DELAWARE STATE @ 9-2.........WHIFF DUH OP TA PLAY UH DELAWARE @ 9-2/8-3............YEAH.........HORNETS....WOULD BE SWARMIN'.....TOWARDS...NEWARK..............xnodx ...BRAWK!

COMMITTEE DREAM GAME....CONTROVERSY OVERAH!

Go...gate
September 24th, 2007, 06:38 PM
LET US SAY DAT...UH DELAWARE STATE @ 9-2.........WHIFF DUH OP TA PLAY UH DELAWARE @ 9-2/8-3............YEAH.........HORNETS....WOULD BE SWARMIN'.....TOWARDS...NEWARK..............xnodx ...BRAWK!

It would be fun.

MR. CHICKEN
September 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
NOT FUN...FO'.....DUH WOOFED..............:(....BRAWK!

TALK 'BOUT UH 22K GATE...IN LATE NOVEMBERAH......COMMITTEE...MIGHTS LIKE DAT!

Go...gate
September 24th, 2007, 08:50 PM
NOT FUN...FO'.....DUH WOOFED..............:(....BRAWK!

TALK 'BOUT UH 22K GATE...IN LATE NOVEMBERAH......COMMITTEE...MIGHTS LIKE DAT!

I would like that too. I would certainly journey down to the Tub for that game. Hope we play again!

Big Dawg
September 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Any 8-3 team from the SoCon, Gateway, or CAA would be more deserving than a 9-2 MEAC team. Until the MEAC actually figures out a way to win some playoff games, their conference can and should be viewed as one of the weakest in I-AA.

We did figure out a way...and then we fired him...:D

ChickenMan
September 24th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Gee, CM, leave anybody out? xrolleyesx

I didn't say they would ALL win 8 games.. I said they all had a legit shot at 8 wins. So.. please tell which one of those seven.. JMU, UMass, UD, Richmond, UNH, Hofstra or Villanova has no shot to win 8 games???

pantherfan
September 24th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I agree that the SoCon is looking like a lock for two, with a possibility for three (which probably happens only if there is a three-way tie for the SoCon championship). But this tails into my point that it's extremely unlikely that the "power conferences" will have enough to take up all eight at-large qualifiers while at the same time there are few non-AQ/independent teams that will also qualify. Even the number of non-power conferences looking at at-larges even looks shaky (OVC, Patriot, Southland).

If I had to guess, the Big Sky/CAA/Gateway/SoCon will nab five of the eight at-larges, with X number of teams fighting for the last three. A 9-2 Delaware State team, with a win against two ranked teams, has to be put to near the top of that at-large list.

Lehigh, you honestly think that the four "power" conferences only get 5 AL's??? I am predicting that those 4 get at least 6 if not 7... The Gateway and CAA should each get 2 and the other two will get at least 1 if not 2...xcoffeex

grayghost06
September 25th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I don't know how helpful beating Coastal will be. JMU dropped a spot after beating CCU by 35 points. Obviously, the pollsters don't think too highly of them. If you guys spank Hampton as well as the rest of your opponents but lose to SC State in a close game, you may have a case. It'll depend on how many power conference teams are 8-3 or better. A big win over a respected hampton team will be good and it wouldn't hurt if Kent St. continues to do well. That having been said, I truly hope that DSU wins out and makes the playoffs. I'd love to see you guys matched up against UD. I think it'd be a good matchup and good for college football in general. We've all heard the reasons as to why this game has not happened ( some valid and some pure BS spin) but when you have only 2 large schools in the state, they both play at the same football level yet they don't play each other, that is just unfortunate. Think WVU-Marshall and UK- Louisville as good reasons to play the game.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I don't know how helpful beating Coastal will be. JMU dropped a spot after beating CCU by 35 points. Obviously, the pollsters don't think too highly of them. If you guys spank Hampton as well as the rest of your opponents but lose to SC State in a close game, you may have a case. It'll depend on how many power conference teams are 8-3 or better. A big win over a respected hampton team will be good and it wouldn't hurt if Kent St. continues to do well. That having been said, I truly hope that DSU wins out and makes the playoffs. I'd love to see you guys matched up against UD. I think it'd be a good matchup and good for college football in general. We've all heard the reasons as to why this game has not happened ( some valid and some pure BS spin) but when you have only 2 large schools in the state, they both play at the same football level yet they don't play each other, that is just unfortunate. Think WVU-Marshall and UK- Louisville as good reasons to play the game.

I couldn't agree more: I just think that the number of power-conference spots taken up are being overestimated here. xpeacex

GannonFan
September 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I couldn't agree more: I just think that the number of power-conference spots taken up are being overestimated here. xpeacex

Well, if the CAA gets 3 at larges, the Gateway gets 2, the Big Sky gets 1, the SoCon gets 1, then that's 7 of the 8 at larges right there, and you would still have the Patriot and the Southland possibly getting another one, the Great West still a possibility with Cal Poly, the Ohio got one just last year so that could still happen, plus the possibility of the SoCon getting 2 (say Wofford and Furman both get in). It doesn't take long to add up to 8 and with the unbalanced scheduling in the CAA this year, and with the great start the Gateway is off to, it could happen.

R.A.
September 29th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Del State versus Delaware... closer than some may think??? 2007 Playoffs???

Del State has already beaten Coastal and Hampton @ Hampton...

R.A.
October 4th, 2007, 10:25 PM
#20 DSU's still going strong at 4-1 with a 24-10 win over B-CU...

RadMann
October 5th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Any team in the MEAC that does not win the conference will have a hard time making the playoffs. The fact is that the MEAC has not been a good performer in the playoffs and that will play a part as I see it, but we'll have to wait and see....

Tealblood
October 5th, 2007, 06:55 AM
right now I want to know who the second loss will be to. They could lose to SCSTate and still get the AQ not knowing what SCState is going to do.

Tealblood
October 5th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I personally have them ranked at #14 in my poll

R.A.
October 5th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Any team in the MEAC that does not win the conference will have a hard time making the playoffs. The fact is that the MEAC has not been a good performer in the playoffs and that will play a part as I see it, but we'll have to wait and see....

We're hopefully optimistic over here... sounds like you might be also RadMann.
;)

Punchykky
October 5th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Unfortunately,,,,this is true. I'd like to see the MEAC win at least 1 playoff game. Hampton came close last year, but to no avail.

Eyes of Old Main
October 5th, 2007, 08:10 PM
At 9-2, it'd be close, but I think they would depending on how the at-larges are parcelled out.

BlueHen86
October 5th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I think the MEAC is a little bit better than people give credit for. In recent years Hampton and SC State have been legitimate top 25 teams, looks like Del St is there now too.

But until the MEAC starts winning playoff games it will be difficult for a MEAC team to get an at large. I want Del State to make the playoffs, even if Delaware doesn't, but they better win the MEAC or their chances look slim. I don't think a 9 - 2 Del St gets in ahead of an 8 - 3 CAA team and it looks like there might be a few 8 - 3 or better CAA teams this year.

R.A.
October 24th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Delaware State's remaining schedule

Sat, Oct 27 South Carolina State * at Orangeburg, Sc 1:30pm
Sat, Nov 03 Winston-Salem State * at Winston-Salem, NC 2:00pm
Sat, Nov 10 Norfolk State * Dover, De 12:00pm
Sat, Nov 17 Howard *Dover, De 12:00pm

The Hornets are 6-1 (5-0) heading into this week's game against South Carolina State... and it's SCSU's homecoming.

HIU 93
October 24th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately,,,,this is true. I'd like to see the MEAC win at least 1 playoff game. Hampton came close last year, but to no avail.

The MEAC has won playoff games, just not in the last seven years.

GannonFan
October 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Tough call - a loss to SCSU would put SCSU back in contention to win the MEAC. DSU would then absolutely have to win out to make the playoffs, and that includes a win over Norfolk St. Anyone know how the MEAC handles a tie-break if DSU loses to SCSU but beats NSU and there's a 3-way tie for the title?

Big question will be how the NCAA handles an at-large for the MEAC - with the 9 game mandate this year the MEAC hasn't really ventured out into the FCS world too much. I count 13 games total the MEAC will play against the FCS OOC this year, and with 2 to be played, the MEAC is 6-5 against a slate of Coastal Carolina (twice), Princeton, Towson, Savanah St (twice), Southern, Tenn St, Jacksonville, Prarie View, and NC Central. The games left are Hampton versus SIU and Winston Salem against NC Central. Not a strong list of OOC opponents, and not enough wins versus it. It'll be interesting to say the least if a second MEAC team gets in this year.

R.A.
October 24th, 2007, 01:10 PM
It'll be interesting to see how this turn out. We've had a 3 way tie for the conferece title before, in 1988.

R.A.
November 7th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Delaware State is 8-1 (6-0) heading into their game versus Norfolk State.

Say DSU losses to Norfolk State this weekend and NSU gets the MEAC's automatic bid, but the Hornets beat Howard in the finale...

The question still stands... Does a 9-2 Del State make the playoffs?

IaaScribe
November 7th, 2007, 10:01 PM
If you're basing it on "quality" wins against Coastal and Hampton? Tough sell. Just saw Coastal last weekend, and they're not very good right now. They'll be back. They're young and they'll have a much better situation at QB next season. But beating Coastal is no feat this season.

siugrad99
November 7th, 2007, 10:52 PM
UNI is and will be the Gateway champion outright so the MEAC will not have a win over the Gateway Champ. That being said a 6-5 Hampton victory doesn't seem to impress many as your best victory. Hampton will not beat SIU.

GannonFan
November 8th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Still could happen, especially if UD is there in the playoffs to meet them in the first round. They'll have to get in ahead of some 8-3 teams, and if Cal Poly and EWU win the games they need to be 8-3 I would say they don't get in. But if those at larges aren't taken up (say they both lose) then I think DSU would have a good shot at an at-large. To sum it up, they aren't a lock to be an at large, but we'll know more by late Saturday.

89Hen
November 8th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Still could happen, especially if UD is there in the playoffs to meet them in the first round.
xnodx DelSt should be rooting for the Hens the next two weeks.

Ud1Hens
November 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM
A potential 9-2 DSU team better hope that UD is going to the playoffs...the matchup could help to be their ticket in.

R.A.
November 8th, 2007, 07:48 PM
xnodx DelSt should be rooting for the Hens the next two weeks.
Yep

R.A.
November 9th, 2007, 11:14 PM
The MEAC has been more competitive than it has been in several years and that might be a good selling point for the loser of Saturday's Delaware State- Norfolk State game. Delaware State would likely get in at 9-2, but Norfolk State might find itself just outside of the field at 8-3.

-David Coulson

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/around_the_fcs.htm