PDA

View Full Version : UMass v. Boston College

griz8791
September 24th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I see from my Yahoo! scoreboard that this is next up for the Minutemen. Does anyone have any background on this game? Does it get played often, or only every 5-6 years or something like that? I get the impression BC isn't what it used to be in football.

Dane96
September 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM
BC not what it was? BC is nearing a top 10 berth. If you mean they are better...yes.

This game is played in hoops every year. Football...not so much.

DrG
September 24th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I see from my Yahoo! scoreboard that this is next up for the Minutemen. Does anyone have any background on this game? Does it get played often, or only every 5-6 years or something like that? I get the impression BC isn't what it used to be in football.

BC is ranked 12th in the latest AP poll. 'Nuff said. When UMass first started building up their football program in the 60s, they had envisioned an in-state rivalry with BC that would equal or surpass that with Holy Cross. Consequently, UMass played BC annually from 1966 through 1982. UMass won two of those games and was competitive in several others, although there were also some huge BC blowouts. By the early 80's however, college football had morphed into the IA/IAA division, and Doug Flutie singlehandedly turned BC into a national power, so the series was discontinued. Now UMass is just an occasional buy game for BC.

In other sports, the basketball rivalry was revived back when UMass was a national power, but obviously BC has dominated in recent years. Hockey is a fast rising sport at UMass so that has the makings of a pretty good rivalry. Still, many UMass fans harbor a deep resentment of BC due to their sacred-cow treatment in the Boston media and the not inaccurate perception that the state university is not afforded due respect in the minds of many in the Greater Boston area.

griz8791
September 24th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I didn't realize they were ranked 12th. Well, okay then. When can we get an emoticon for a guy with a bag over his head?xoopsx

brownbear
September 24th, 2007, 10:48 AM
This is only the second time BC and UMass have played since 1982. They last played in 2004, when BC won 29-7.

The all time series record is 5-17, with 3 of Umass's wins before 1912.

griz8791
September 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM
So in addition to not realizing how good BC is this year, there was also already a three-page thread further down the page. I'm definitely batting a thousand today.

putter
September 24th, 2007, 11:03 AM
could we have the 2nd AP top 25 upset of the year for the FCS??

Dane96
September 24th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Not a chance.