PDA

View Full Version : LFN: Sunday's Word: Nabob

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
An odd word, but there you have it.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

ngineer
September 23rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Nice article....I agree. There seems to be a contingent who are never satisfied..always something to pick apart or upon. Rarely will there ever be a perfect game..There will be lulls and mistakes, but you overcome them if you're good. This was a nice solid win and should give the team a great platform for next Saturday.

My concern was the added injury list. Kehs with arm in sling on sideline, Bode and Stinson with ankles wrapped in ice. McGowan and Pastore still not back. Thankfully we have Kankam and Walker who are doing an admirable job.

LehighFan11
September 23rd, 2007, 10:02 PM
It was a great win for Lehigh and a much needed "blowout" win. To speak to the idea that some Lehigh fans are never satisfied with a win. Lehigh fans have seen their teams win patroit league titles and win playoff games so they expect to win. When we look at this years Lehigh team we see alot of talent and expect them to win. To be honest I havent been satisified with our two wins beacuse they have been incomplete. Lehigh played a great first half but struggled in the second half v. Princeton and VMI. If lehigh beats harvard I will be satisified no matter how they get it done because harvard is a very good team. This lehigh team has alot of talent and great potential, if this team plays to their level of potential all Lehigh fans will be satisified. I'm not expecting Lehigh to win the national championship or go undefeated. I do expect them to win the patroit leauge and beat Lafayette and those expections wont change unless Lehigh takes a huge step back in their talent level. This week's game is very important to give Lehigh alot of confidence heading into the conference schedule.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Agreed. I think the consensus is here that a win against Harvard would be a huge boost for the team and the fans, I think more than any other opponent.

I can 100% guarantee you that I will be mentioning the fact that Lehigh is 1-2 lifetime against Harvard at Goodman. Average margin of Victory: 3 points.

Beating the Crimson at home would be a great way to terminate four different demons: last year's loss to Harvard, last year's loss of dominance against the Ivy League, the ability for Lehigh to beat tough opponents at home, and making Goodman a nightmare for opponents once again.

carney2
September 24th, 2007, 10:45 AM
nabob = "1. a native provincial deputy or governor of the old Mogul Empire in India; native district ruler in India. 2. a European who has become rich in India; hence, 3. a very rich man."

You hit the top spot in this week's Patsy Pool and, in celebration, you completely lose it. Are we talking football or the snake charming team here? I have learned via painful personal experience to totally disregard what Ken_Z has to say. His excuse however, is that he can only relate to guys with glandular problems who run around in their underwear "dribbling." And now, this. Et tu, LFN?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Ahem...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabob

It can also be used metaphorically for people who have a grandiose style or manner (including of speech) as in Spiro Agnew's famous dismissal of the press as "nattering nabobs of negativism".

I was speaking, um, metaphorically. Yeah, that's it. :p

I was tops in the PL pool at 4-1?

Ivytalk
September 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Brings to mind the Spiro Agnew speech where he criticized the "nattering nabobs of negativism"!:p

Note to self: read LFN article first!

ngineer
September 24th, 2007, 12:16 PM
It was a great win for Lehigh and a much needed "blowout" win. To speak to the idea that some Lehigh fans are never satisfied with a win. Lehigh fans have seen their teams win patroit league titles and win playoff games so they expect to win. When we look at this years Lehigh team we see alot of talent and expect them to win. To be honest I havent been satisified with our two wins beacuse they have been incomplete. Lehigh played a great first half but struggled in the second half v. Princeton and VMI. If lehigh beats harvard I will be satisified no matter how they get it done because harvard is a very good team. This lehigh team has alot of talent and great potential, if this team plays to their level of potential all Lehigh fans will be satisified. I'm not expecting Lehigh to win the national championship or go undefeated. I do expect them to win the patroit leauge and beat Lafayette and those expections wont change unless Lehigh takes a huge step back in their talent level. This week's game is very important to give Lehigh alot of confidence heading into the conference schedule.

I am not critical of the mindset of needing to get better. That is a given. But I see, especially on the 'voy' boards a small contingent that have nothing better to do than tear at something, even when it's successful. One of the 'bad' things about this internet is the ability to give cowards a platform to spew their negative agenda whatever that may be.

carney2
September 24th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I was tops in the PL pool at 4-1?

You and 9 others.* With almost everyone picking Fordham and/or Lafayette, no one got all 5.

*Including Ken_Z. It's not like you are in elite company here.