PDA

View Full Version : WIU-Toledo... WTF??

Hansel
September 1st, 2005, 08:15 PM
WIU is down around 50 at the beginning of the second quarter, are they down again this year?

bobcatfan06
September 1st, 2005, 10:38 PM
I think the final was like 63-3 or something like that. Pretty bad.

Ronbo
September 1st, 2005, 11:45 PM
Didn't WIU beat somebody like 90-0 last season? The Toledo Coach probably took note of that going into this game. :D

poharry
September 2nd, 2005, 12:01 AM
Didn't get a chance to listen to game but not suprised by result. I think things in Macomb are going down hill fast. I think Patterson has worn out his welcome and it is time for a change. We have had D coordinators jumping ship since the end of last season and Ronnie Harmon was let go as RB coach and there were problems there.

It will be a tough year for the 'Necks.

W. DeMontague
September 2nd, 2005, 06:27 PM
What's going on in Macomb?

I thought Patterson was in rebuilding mode.

purduecrum
September 2nd, 2005, 09:34 PM
Looks like some big plays helped.

6 Turnovers! Same problem WIU had last year at Nebraska. :(

leatherneck177
September 4th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Whoa, let's not get carried away here. Yes, WIU is rebuilding and yes they did play awful against Toledo but let's not read that much into this.

1. Toledo is a quality football team. Let's not forget they have a Heisman QB candidate and are also a perenial MAC championship caliber team.

2. WIU turned the ball over 6 times, and Toledo had an average start field position of their own 45. I don't care what defense you have, if a team starts with that position you're not going to stop them all the time especially with a Heisman candidate at QB.

3. WIU shot itself in the foot all night on offense, if you look at the drive summaries they had moved the ball pretty well into Toledo territory, yet the drives always ended with a turnover. They also failed on two fourth down conversions within the 30 yard line of Toledo.

4. Patterson has not worn out his welcome. He has had a tough time keeping his D and O coordinators, but honestly, how many I-AA programs keep coaches around for a long time. Sure some programs do, but the majority of all coaches in college football move around a lot.

5. You never know how any I-AA will match up with a I-A. Point is that a 3-5 A-10 Maine beat MSU last year on the road, only to not even make the I-AA playoffs.

Let's wait until WIU plays a Gateway game or two before making a judgement. I'm not happy either about the Toledo outcome, I was hoping for a respectable score, but most everyone knew that WIU was not going to win with so many new starters on the defensive side of the ball.