PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference Wk 5

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Is Elon for real? Will Georgia Southern find a defense? Can Wofford ride their high into a place where they rarely find any love? Will App rebound? Will The Citadel continue to roll?

APPALACHIAN STATE at ELON

WESTERN CAROLINA at GEORGIA SOUTHERN

WOFFORD at FURMAN

THE CITADEL at CHATTANOOGA

Uncle Buck
September 23rd, 2007, 09:43 AM
I'll be interested in seeing how that Furman game pans out. With a week off to heal and prepare, what are your thoughts coming in? Is Wofford prime for a let down still hungover from the App victory?

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
I don't think Furman will lose this game. FU has lost one game at home since the start of the 2004 season. The Paladins have just owned the Terriers at Paladin Stadium. This is a series that is the longest running football rivalries in the Carolinas, with the first meeting of these teams coming in 1896 and this being their 79th meeting (FU holds the all time record 47-24-7)

Mike Ayers is 2-11-1 against Furman all time, winning a 7-6 game in Greenville in 2003 and tying the Paladins there in 1993. If my numbers are right (and I think they are), Wofford tied Furman in Greenville in 1980 and last won a game there in 1970 (prior to 2003), some twelve years before Paladin Stadium was even built.

It isn't so much that Furman is "better" than Wofford, they are just built differently. WC plays speedy teams well. That is evident in their win over App State this year, the fact that they played App closer than anyone last year on the road, and their ability to beat Georgia Southern what seems like every year (even in their good days). FU puts forward a big, powerful running game that is just hard for the Terriers to stop. They have an incredibly quick team, but just get worn down with Furman's bigger players.

Given Furman's offweek, their long time success against Wofford, Furman playing at home, a sense of urgency in the Paladins to put their two losses behind them, and Wofford risking a dip after an emotional win...I think the Paladins have the stars aligned to get back on the right track.

Eaglegus2
September 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Does Georgia Southern get over the turnover bug?

Will any injuries heal this week?

Will another quarterback get playing time as Foster lines up as a back?

Like Sands Thru The Hourglass.....................

So are the days of Georgia Southern football.

Uncle Buck
September 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM
PF, sounds like it should be a great game. And it's true that FU may have a but if urgency this week to get a W and start moving forward. Good luck this week.

CID1990
September 23rd, 2007, 10:52 AM
WCU at GSU will be a good one.

The Citadel at Chatty is going to be a blowout, I just don't know who is going to do the blowing out.

dungeonjoe
September 23rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
I don't think Furman will lose this game. FU has lost one game at home since the start of the 2004 season. The Paladins have just owned the Terriers at Paladin Stadium. This is a series that is the longest running football rivalries in the Carolinas, with the first meeting of these teams coming in 1896 and this being their 79th meeting (FU holds the all time record 47-24-7)

Mike Ayers is 2-11-1 against Furman all time, winning a 7-6 game in Greenville in 2003 and tying the Paladins there in 1993. If my numbers are right (and I think they are), Wofford tied Furman in Greenville in 1980 and last won a game there in 1970 (prior to 2003), some twelve years before Paladin Stadium was even built.

It isn't so much that Furman is "better" than Wofford, they are just built differently. WC plays speedy teams well. That is evident in their win over App State this year, the fact that they played App closer than anyone last year on the road, and their ability to beat Georgia Southern what seems like every year (even in their good days). FU puts forward a big, powerful running game that is just hard for the Terriers to stop. They have an incredibly quick team, but just get worn down with Furman's bigger players.

Given Furman's offweek, their long time success against Wofford, Furman playing at home, a sense of urgency in the Paladins to put their two losses behind them, and Wofford risking a dip after an emotional win...I think the Paladins have the stars aligned to get back on the right track.

I wouldn't put all my money on a streak, it doesn't matter how long it is--I mean--look at the Red Sox.

fuEMO
September 23rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't put all my money on a streak, it doesn't matter how long it is--I mean--look at the Red Sox.

DungeonJoe, I agree with you. History has been kind to the Paladins in this series. What you have are two very similar schools in students, education and the way they have to build the programs.

Both teams have experience, depth at many positions and senior leadership.I think most of the teams that Wofford face don't like to prepare for that offense. Furman does, Bobby is old wishbone guy and I think Furman can probably simulate Wofford in practice better than anyone.

Lets hope for a great clean game. No injuries, I would love to see 4 SoCon teams make the playoffs this season.

youwouldno
September 23rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
I don't think past history will be much help to the Paladins against Wofford. However, the reason for Furman's recent success-- a defense that is solid against the run-- remains. The real question in my mind is whether Furman's offense is up to the task. To date, it has been pretty abysmal. There are 2 QBs that share time, the OL hasn't played very well, and, as usual, a huge number of turnovers. Furman has been extremely tough in Greenville but objectively, at this point, I have to say that Wofford is a slight favorite because they appear more fundamentally sound and are executing with greater consistency.

So far as the other games, Elon will put up some resistance but App wins comfortably, I like The Citadel at Chatty, and GSU should narrowly defeat WCU in Statesboro.

walliver
September 23rd, 2007, 01:13 PM
The mountain men bounce back, but this game will be closer than most expect. App by 10

This was one of van Gorder's 3 wins last year, GSU wins by 21.

WOFFORD at FURMAN
My homer pick worked last week, hope it works again. Wofford by 4.

Is Chattanooga improved, or is GSU that bad? The Mocs keep it close for a while, but Citadel by 10.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
The scary thing about Furman right now is our running game has been so slow to get going. You know that isn't going to last.

Last season Wofford played App State tougher than any other team in the FCS, including the playoffs and the national championship game. They even did that on the road. That Wofford team lost big to Furman at home.

Wofford is probably the better football team and about as well coached as any team in the country. However, I just don't believe they match up well against the Paladins.

You can always take history with a grain of salt, but trends are trends. Furman plays well at home, Wofford has won twice in Greenville since 1970. Those numbers do say something.

appfan2008
September 23rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Furman over Wofford
App over Elon
GSU over WCU
The Citadel over UTC
all by 14 or more except the furman wofford game

catamount man
September 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Wofford over Furman
El Cid over Mocs
ASU over Elon

***will not make prediction on Cats-Eagles***xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 23rd, 2007, 05:51 PM
WCU at GSU will be a good one.

The Citadel at Chatty is going to be a blowout, I just don't know who is going to do the blowing out.

GSU creams WCU, sorry, but seeing how inept WCU was with Presbyterian, I don't think they can keep it close, especially if our injured players come back. GSU has another 400+ yard offensive day and wins by 28.

UTC's O is back at 100% now and their offense is better than most people think. The Citadel won't have a -4 turnover differential like GSU did, and will beat Chatty by 17.

Wofford takes down Furman by 10 points. Furman just doesn't seem to have it this year.

Elon versus App. State may very well be the Socon game of the week. If App. State doesn't show up prepared and focused, they are going to get beat. Appy is well-coached and will come in ready to play. App State by 7 in a scare.

mrklean
September 23rd, 2007, 05:58 PM
GSU-35
WCU-14

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2007, 06:05 PM
Furman v. Wofford- Furman has played two undefeated teams on the road and lost. They return home and look to get on a roll. The Purple Hurricane is tired of the naysayers. Paladins by 10.

App. State at Elon- Mounties lack a run defense and Elon lacks a sound running game. App by 17.

WCU at GSU: The Eagles need to find a defense. Any defense. Gotta buckle down against someone and it might as well be Western. GSU by 13.

The Citadel v. UTC: Mocs might have a little momentum. They are dangerous at times. Big road test for the Bulldogs. El Cid by 14.

TheCatamount
September 23rd, 2007, 09:53 PM
I think the Cats will play GS close for the first half before the Eagles pull away. If we start Adam Hearns(please!) I think we could put up more of a fight and spread the ball around.

35-24 GS

WoCoTerrier
September 23rd, 2007, 10:15 PM
App State vs. Elon: an angry ASU team by 10.
The Citadel vs. UTC: the Citadel by a bunch, good team this year.
WCU vs. GSU: GSU is angry too, so they win by 17.
Wofford vs. Furman: Furman has the history, but I think Wofford understands what they could do this year, so they can't let a purple team stop them, Wofford wins a close one.

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 23rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
The Southern Conference just got rather interesting........

LarryBoy
September 23rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
I, too, am tired of the Furman naysayers, but hey, we haven't proven them wrong yet.

But still...everyone look at their own team, and then think about how they would do going on the road two weeks in a row, one against a ranked, undefeated CAA team, and then the other against (BY FAR) the class of the ACC, Clemson (now #13 in the AP poll).

We were simply beat by Hofstra, and I expect them to make noise in the CAA. But all we heard about going into the Clemson game was how we were going to be physically manhandled by their lines and their running game. The opposite turned out to be true on both counts, but we were undone by repeatedly putting bullets in our feet and the fact that their receivers all had about a foot on our DB's. Still, I can't get over the fact that we physically handled (maybe even outplayed) Clemson, and had more offensive yardage than they did, even with Harper and Corn going deep PLENTY of times. All of this to say...out of all of 1-2 teams out there, I think we have the most going for us.

Sorry, got off track there.

App State vs. Elon: Elon is much improved this year, and that will help them once App puts their second unit in. 38-17 App
The Citadel vs. UTC: If Citadel wins by 3 TD's or more, I'll officially be petrified. Citadel 31, UTC 14
WCU vs. GSU: Losing to Western could get the new guy VanGorder'd by the Eagle faithful. GSU 27, Western 6
Wofford vs. Furman: People like to look at Wofford's track record at Paladin Stadium recently. Let's look at Wofford's track record against Furman PERIOD: 2 wins in 20 years. History may not mean much, but I think we know a thing or two about how to defend the these guys. Wofford is much improved this year, and if they can escape Paladin Stadium with a win, I pick them to win it all. I just can't see it happening. Furman 31, Wofford 27

WCU LawCat
September 24th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I'm not going to make predictions this week as I think every game has the chance to go either way.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Something's gotta give. Seems to be a case of an unstoppable force and the immovable object. That's where you're ballgame is going to be won right there.

Wofford through four games has amassed 1220 yrds on the ground, 305 per game, and 5.2 ypc.

Furman's defense has given up a total of 213 yrds on the ground, 71 ypg, and 2.2 ypc.

FU still has difficulty defending the pass, but their run defense is lights out. Considering you have to throw Clemson in there and having to face Spiller and Davis, those numbers are pretty impressive. S&D managed 35 yrds on the ground against Furman and 280 against NCState the next weekend.

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM
My biggest concern with Furman is turnovers. 12 in three games. If that continues it probably will not matter how our defense performs.

appstate38
September 24th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Is Elon for real? Will Georgia Southern find a defense? Can Wofford ride their high into a place where they rarely find any love? Will App rebound? Will The Citadel continue to roll?

WOFFORD at FURMAN

ASU over Elon- We get ourselves right after a reality check

WCU- GSU - toss up GSU collapse at UTC has me doubting, could be another upset special for the Cats!

Wofford over Furman- Dogs grind it out like Hofstra did to the Paladins

Citadel in a close one over UTC

Death Dealer
September 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM
App St over Elon xflamemadx They are mad and looking to take it out on someone.....sucks for Elon.

WCU over GSU xeekx the shocker!

Citadel over UTC xoopsx The Citadel continues to give me reason to lose sleep.

Furman over Wofford xprayx xwhistlex xnottalkingx

Black and Gold Express
September 24th, 2007, 10:01 AM
WC/FUR - As much as I "need" WC to lose two conference games to give ASU a shot at the crown, what I saw last week was a team that can beat anyone if they don't beat themselves. I'm still looking for a good showing by Furman against a decent or better opponent. Even with it being at Paladin Stadium, I think the visitors leave with a close win.

WCU/GSU - This one should not be close, even if Foster is banged up. WCU is not a good football team. Then again, neither is UTC, but they pulled it off. But I can't see the Eagles laying two eggs at home in a row. So by that logic, I'll pick GSU by less than 10.

CIT/UTC - Mocs are high after a big upset win. Is The Citadel for real as a possible contender? Possibly, but I don't think this game will prove much. The Ciadel should win this one big, and will.

ASU/ELON - This week will say a lot about what we ASU fans have in store for the rest of the season. Elon looks like an improved team, but a focused and determined ASU team with fires lit under them should manhandle the Phoenix. That fire looks like it was left back at the Big House, and it's past time for it to return. I'm going homer pick with this one, I say we do get it back and win by 21.

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I have drafted two long well crafted and very funny posts and my computer has conked before posting both, so to hell with it.

ASU by 10
GSU by 10
The Citadel by less than a touch down
and Furman by 3 (history and ownership prevail:p ) However, if Furman continues its turnover trend, Wofford by 14:o

AshevilleApp
September 24th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Hate to say that a "loss" is a good thing, but the Wofford game might be the kick in the pants that App needed to carry them through.....have to see about Armanti though.

appstate38
September 24th, 2007, 10:43 AM
When is App going to get K. Richardson going. He has not had alot of carries here lately and we are almost to the halfway point. Personally I would like to see the former walk-on break John Settle's record. He is a beast when they get him the ball. Need to let him carry the mail more IMO!

OldFootballGuy
September 24th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Jayson Foster runs for 641 yards and 9 TDs, but GSU has no defense...GSU 63 WCU 60

ASU also has no defense, and it's not certain if they have a heart.......Elon 44 ASU 42.

The Citadel is for real, the Mocs are not....... Citadel 51 Chattanooga 14

Wofford shot their wad last week, Furman has a point to prove...... Furman 35 Wofford 21

appstate38
September 24th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Jayson Foster runs for 641 yards and 9 TDs, but GSU has no defense...GSU 63 WCU 60

ASU also has no defense, and it's not certain if they have a heart.......Elon 44 ASU 42.

The Citadel is for real, the Mocs are not....... Citadel 51 Chattanooga 14

Wofford shot their wad last week, Furman has a point to prove...... Furman 35 Wofford 21

No heart.... Are you HIGH!

buckp
September 24th, 2007, 10:49 AM
This conference is on fire! Love it! xbowx

walliver
September 24th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Hate to say that a "loss" is a good thing, but the Wofford game might be the kick in the pants that App needed to carry them through.....have to see about Armanti though.

On the other hand, Michigan suffered an unexpected loss and didn't exactly redeem themselves the next week. Of course, Elon isn't exactly Oregon State either.

GaSouthern
September 24th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Elon has a very real chance of beating appy, this is their best team since the B.S.Conf days IMO.

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 10:58 AM
On the other hand, Michigan suffered an unexpected loss and didn't exactly redeem themselves the next week. Of course, Elon isn't exactly Oregon State either.

App has proved they are good. Wofford has proved they are good. This week Furman and Elon have a chance to make the same claim.

We shall see what happensxnodx

walliver
September 24th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I have drafted two long well crafted and very funny posts and my computer has conked before posting both, so to hell with it.

ASU by 10
GSU by 10
The Citadel by less than a touch down
and Furman by 3 (history and ownership prevail:p ) However, if Furman continues its turnover trend, Wofford by 14:o

Historically, the better team has won (with the possible exception of 2002). I suspect the better team will win again. We probably disagree about which team that is, though.:)

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Historically, the better team has won (with the possible exception of 2002). I suspect the better team will win again. We probably disagree about which team that is, though.:)

You know I put that on there because I read the Wofford boardxsmiley_wix

And we won't have to wait long to find out who is betterxrotatehx

NashMoc
September 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Appalachain @ Elon Good win for the Elon last week but it was against Big South team. App took one on the chin @ Wofford, but are still one of the best teams in FCS. Elon will be competitive but will lose to angry bunh from Boone. App 42 - Elon 17

WCU @ GSU WCU gets one in the W column while GSU gets an L in a real barn burner. Eagles D needs to improve to assist the unreal Jayson Foster in order to salvage SoCon season. Good news is that Eagles defense won't have to improve that much in a week versus WCU. GSU 45 - WCU 27

Wofford @ Furman This should be the SoCon game of the Week. Wofford earns the huge win at home versus #1 Appalachain and stakes its claim as the top dog (pun intended) in the SoCon. Furman has struggled a bit this season and may be rusty after the week off. I am going to have to go with the Terriers this week Wofford 21 - Furman 17

Citadel @ Chattanooga Mocs win for the first time ever at Paulson Stadium. Will there be a hangover from the big win? Citadel took the week off to prepare for the Mocs. Will it pay dividends? Mocs win at home UTC 24 - Citadel 21

OldFootballGuy
September 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
No heart.... Are you HIGH!

No, son, not high just observant. The Boonies didn't want that game half as much as the Woffs. Wofford should send a thank you to Michigan. The Wolverines couldn't beat the Yosefs at THE BIG HOUSE, but they had a big hand in beating 'em Saturday.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2007, 11:28 AM
If Furman comes out and plays flat I'll hang the cleats up on the season. I don't think their seniors (Jerome Felton especially) will let the Paladins lose this game.

Homefield advantage can make the swing. The last top 20 team to win at Paladin Stadium in the regular season was Wofford in 2003.

appstate38
September 24th, 2007, 11:39 AM
No, son, not high just observant. The Boonies didn't want that game half as much as the Woffs. Wofford should send a thank you to Michigan. The Wolverines couldn't beat the Yosefs at THE BIG HOUSE, but they had a big hand in beating 'em Saturday.

We got beat by a good football team. How does that translate to not having any heart. Yes Wofford was better prepared and wanted it more. That is not in dispute on my end. I question the leap for there to being heart less. It's not like it was a blow out loss and we gave up! That is really my only contention with your statements

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Get used to it. Furman lost to a top 15 team on the road in NY and people are sticking a fork in us already. Rattle off a win or two and things will be back to normal.

dungeonjoe
September 24th, 2007, 11:57 AM
PF, glad to see you aren't using ancient history and streaks to justify why Furman will win.

Wofford will win if we execute, stay healthy, don't make stupid (or numerous) penalties and don't turn the ball over. Like App, FU is too good to come to the game playing sloppy, distracted, or unprepared.

citdog
September 24th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Get used to it. Furman lost to a top 15 team on the road in NY and people are sticking a fork in us already. Rattle off a win or two and things will be back to normal.

but lose two more and unless you win the SoCon all playoff hopes are gone.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
PF, glad to see you aren't using ancient history and streaks to justify why Furman will win.

Wofford will win if we execute, stay healthy, don't make stupid (or numerous) penalties and don't turn the ball over. Like App, FU is too good to come to the game playing sloppy, distracted, or unprepared.

On your side, the last time WC was top 10 and came to Greenville you walked out with a win.

I do look back at last year. Wofford lost to App 14-7 on the road and got smashed by the Paladins in Spartanburg. Furman just matches up well against Wofford. Schemes and personell also account for Georgia Southern's futility against the Terriers. Sometimes a team just plays you well.

My gut on this says Furman will just want it more. They've taken a lot of flack, been called overrated, been written off as not a contender, heck, some people even think Elon is the better football team. Given the extra preparation, I just think this game stacks up well for the Paladins.

All that aside, if we can't figure out how to hold onto the football then we won't win another game. I expect Jerome Felton to put the team on his shoulders in this one.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 24th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I'm telling you guys, UTC's offense is a lot better than most of you think.

It's apparant that you don't think so when you are picking WCU to keep it close or to beat GSU. Lamar Lewis and Mike Hamilton should be back at 100% for GSU. I don't think it'll be close.

citdog
September 24th, 2007, 02:36 PM

It's apparant that you don't think so when you are picking WCU to keep it close or to beat GSU. Lamar Lewis and Mike Hamilton should be back at 100% for GSU. I don't think it'll be close.

no GSU just sucks! NEWBERRY beat West Georgia by 9 touchdowns saturday, and GSU had trouble with them. you're done, over, finished, a thing of the past.

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Joe Joe Joe, Ancient history is what you talk about on Sunday mornings
We are talking within the last two decades herexsmiley_wix

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/EUR/2300-8501~Lightning-Posters.jpg
Glad I wasn't under that treexeekx

walliver
September 24th, 2007, 02:38 PM
no GSU just sucks! NEWBERRY beat West Georgia by 9 touchdowns saturday, and GSU had trouble with them. you're done, over, finished, a thing of the past.

I'd hate to see your reaction on the smack board.:D

Seven Would Be Nice
September 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM

WOFFORD at FURMAN

walliver
September 24th, 2007, 02:48 PM
It's interesting that Furman has traditionally taken off the week before the Georgia Southern game so that they wiould have two weeks to get ready for the big dog of the SoCon. This year, they have taken off the week before playing Wofford. Is there a pattern here? (I know the Furman Party Line will not allow them to admit it in public for fear of being banned from the uffp):D

GoldandBlack
September 24th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Joe Joe Joe, Ancient history is what you talk about on Sunday mornings
We are talking within the last two decades herexsmiley_wix

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/EUR/2300-8501~Lightning-Posters.jpg
Glad I wasn't under that treexeekx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

Except, of course, that any good Furman fan will tell you that FU's loss to Wofford in 2003 is ancient history............ nice theory, though.xsmiley_wix

GoldandBlack
September 24th, 2007, 02:53 PM

WOFFORD at FURMAN

Nicely put- I agree!xthumbsupx

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 02:58 PM
It's interesting that Furman has traditionally taken off the week before the Georgia Southern game so that they wiould have two weeks to get ready for the big dog of the SoCon. This year, they have taken off the week before playing Wofford. Is there a pattern here? (I know the Furman Party Line will not allow them to admit it in public for fear of being banned from the uffp):D

We could see the futurexnodx

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

Except, of course, that any good Furman fan will tell you that FU's loss to Wofford in 2003 is ancient history............ nice theory, though.xsmiley_wix

Nah, it was just one in a decade or so:p xsmiley_wix :D

GoldandBlack
September 24th, 2007, 03:08 PM
We could see the futurexnodx

Is that a staff position at Furman?

http://www.techscape.tv/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/crystal-ball.jpg

walliver
September 24th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Mr. Lamb, you should go for two.

appstate38
September 24th, 2007, 03:28 PM

Miracle on the Mountain.... Man that was Cold!!!!xlolx

youwouldno
September 24th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Just for the sake of a little balance, I predicted Wofford to win on uffp. But I think it's a tossup. Wofford doesn't win because of raw athleticism; they operate an unusual, tough-to-defend offensive scheme and play fundamentally sound defense. In the past several years, Furman has simply overpowered Wofford and the difference in size and strength is still there.

Wofford showed some passing ability against App and will probably need that to win against the Paladins. On the other hand, Furman has simply been atrocious and if that type of play continues Wofford will win by a wide margin. The Paladins have been inconsistent and sloppy, throwing away opportunities at every turn and just generally exhibiting an embarrassing inability to execute or even hold on to the football.

That said, the Paladins have a lot of talent. Wofford has no real answers for Jerome Felton or Patrick Sprague/RJ Webb at WR. But if there are no blocks for Felton, and no accurate throws for the wideouts, it makes no difference.

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Is that a staff position at Furman?

I have applied for that position on more than a few occasions

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Cold Mr Walliver Very Cold. :p

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Miracle on the Mountain.... Man that was Cold!!!!xlolx
Here is the good news ( it would have been a more probable prediction if Michigan hadn't effed it up so badly) .

At Our first AGS get together in Greenville it was unanimous that ASU would lose three games in the regular season this year. One was Michigan (we blew that one) and the other two were split amoung the various schools represented at the meeting. That means you have still have two more to go which gets you fellers off the Rock during playoff time where you are more than a little vunerable. xnodx

The message of this story, one of you SOBs better show up at the next get togetherxlolx

walliver
September 24th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Here is the good news ( it would have been a more probable prediction if Michigan hadn't effed it up so badly) .

At Our first AGS get together in Greenville it was unanimous that ASU would lose three games in the regular season this year. One was Michigan (we blew that one) and the other two were split amoung the various schools represented at the meeting. That means you have still have two more to go which gets you fellers of the Rock during playoff time where you are more than a little vunerable. xnodx

The message of this story, one of you SOBs better show up at the next get togetherxlolx

Would a team with a 4-3 SoCon record make it into the playoffs? ASU probably would, but I doubt anybody else would.

I suspect they will only lose one more game, probably in Traveller's Rest, but Citdog might get lucky.

james_lawfirm
September 24th, 2007, 04:03 PM

At Our first AGS get together in Greenville it was unanimous that ASU would lose three games in the regular season this year. One was Michigan (we blew that one) and the other two were split amoung the various schools represented at the meeting. That means you have still have two more to go which gets you fellers off the Rock during playoff time where you are more than a little vunerable. xnodx

What AGS get together are you talking about? Why wasn't I invited?

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I also would throw Truss and Hedden in there as well. Furman is one of the only teams left that really utilizes a tight end. It'll be an interesting matchup to see Wofford's linebackers on a 6'5 255 lbs TE.

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 04:04 PM
What AGS get together are you talking about? Why wasn't I invited?

It was an open invitation to all AGSers. In fact we had two and we thought about predicting 4 losses for you guys at the second one, but we couldn't get that drunkxeyebrowx xlolx

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Would a team with a 4-3 SoCon record make it into the playoffs? ASU probably would, but I doubt anybody else would.

I suspect they will only lose one more game, probably in Traveller's Rest, but Citdog might get lucky.

We didn't care if they made the playoffs we just wanted them off the Rock during the playoffsxnodx

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2007, 04:05 PM

and we usually play Wofford and GSU back to back. 2005 we say three teams in four weeks that ran the triple option (if you include Nichols State in the playoffs).

Our schedule is a little different than normal. Usually we open up with Western Carolina in the conference. I figure the offweek is more a product of our first three games, two of which are on the road against physical teams, than our fear of Wofford.

B&G
September 24th, 2007, 04:22 PM
APPALACHIAN STATE at ELON - App by 17. Mounties look human thanks to Wofford but the Terriers always play ASU well. Elon? Not so much. Elon hung with USF but I'm still not convinced they are going to break out this season. Look for App to get K-Rich going and for the defense to tighten up a bit.

WESTERN CAROLINA at GEORGIA SOUTHERN - Southern by 20. On the bright side, Southern won't look quite as fast compared to Alabama or Georgia. But I keep waiting for WCU to make a statement and have yet to see it.

WOFFORD at FURMAN - Furman by 6. Wofford's defense isn't exactly an iron curtain. I feel like the Terriers threw everything they had at App and might not have a lot of tricks up their sleeve for Furman who historically have Wofford's number in Greenvegas. If Wofford wins this then the SoCon is theirs to lose.

THE CITADEL at CHATTANOOGA - Citadel by 23. The Bulldogs are for real and that spread is not a slight to UTC.

Death Dealer
September 24th, 2007, 04:46 PM
APPALACHIAN STATE at ELON - App by 17. Mounties look human thanks to Wofford but the Terriers always play ASU well. Elon? Not so much. Elon hung with USF but I'm still not convinced they are going to break out this season. Look for App to get K-Rich going and for the defense to tighten up a bit.

WESTERN CAROLINA at GEORGIA SOUTHERN - Southern by 20. On the bright side, Southern won't look quite as fast compared to Alabama or Georgia. But I keep waiting for WCU to make a statement and have yet to see it.

WOFFORD at FURMAN - Furman by 6. Wofford's defense isn't exactly an iron curtain. I feel like the Terriers threw everything they had at App and might not have a lot of tricks up their sleeve for Furman who historically have Wofford's number in Greenvegas. If Wofford wins this then the SoCon is theirs to lose.
THE CITADEL at CHATTANOOGA - Citadel by 23. The Bulldogs are for real and that spread is not a slight to UTC.
If Woffie beats us (and that is a distinct possibility. But not gonna happen!) then who would they have to lose to in order to lose the conferenc. I mean, if they beat us but lose to the Citadel, that's one conference loss. Even if crAppy get by us in G'vegas, Woffie wins the heads-up and the Socon. If we beat crAppy, then Woffie wins the heads up with us and the Socon. I don't see any other team in the conference beating the Terriers, so if they win this weekend, they may just cruise to the title and the auto-bid. But, any given saturday, and there is a lot of football to be played. Doesn't really matter though, because we are gonna win Saturday, and it is gonna be glorious.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Am I right in thinking Wofford is on the road to the Citadel this season?

WoCoTerrier
September 24th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Am I right in thinking Wofford is on the road to the Citadel this season?

You are correct. Wofford @ the Citadel Oct. 6.

Purple Knight
September 24th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Wofford & Furman.

Both have strong run defenses.

Furmans pass defense is loose and will give up yards, especially on third and long. On the otherhand Woffords PD was strong against ASU and they play the receivers tight. Very little catch and run.

Special teams: Wofford is pertty good, Furman is very suspect. Coaches have no confidence in punter or coverage, don't know which.

Believe it or not, Wofford will win this one by passing and will keep Furman on their own side of the field most of the day unless our passing game is in high gear. The passing game will take this one.

SCPALADIN
September 24th, 2007, 09:14 PM

We won't need to when we're up 10+ in the 4th.

CID1990
September 24th, 2007, 09:19 PM

The reason the jury is still out on UTC's offense is that they only hung a few more on you than CCU, and that was only because you played an OT.

furpal87
September 25th, 2007, 12:29 AM
My thoughts:

Cit @ UTC: Cit doesn't play well there, but they are much better this year.
29-21 Cit.
WCU-GSU: no way WCU 45-24 Iggles
ASU@ Elon: NEVER underestimate the heart of a champion!!! Elon tries to prove something, but comes up short 34-24
Wofford @ Furman: First of all, after watching Clemson rout State by 3 touchdowns (should have been 6 TD win), how did we slow those guys down? Second after a State/App combo does Wofford have anything emotionally left? ECU hit that wall at WVU and got killed. Did the week off help Furman? Furman 37 Wofford 21

HaveFunKc
September 25th, 2007, 06:51 AM
WESTERN CAROLINA at GEORGIA SOUTHERN: GSU's defense just got rocked by an up & down Chatty offense. Going against the Cats is the cure to get them back on track. GSU by 17 if not more...

WOFFORD at FURMAN: SoCon game of the week IMO. Furman wants to prove they are better than the naysayers and the Terriers want to prove that last week was not their Game of Year. The matchups look intriquing to say the least. Is this the time for Furman to step up and show FCS what they are made of? Or does Wofford change the face of the SoCon for 2007? I think this game has SoCon championship implications (even this early in the season). Too easy to give this one to Wofford given what they just did to App last week (run offense impressive), but I think Furples know what's at stake and want a play in the SoCon title. Paladins win in an extremely tight game to keep the SoCon title a race (if not, Wofford has the inside track to the title)...

THE CITADEL at CHATTANOOGA: Can anyone explain Chattanooga? Really? Lose to a DII, but then torch GSU for 45... Which team shows up is the question. In the end, I don't think it will matter (save a total collapse by the 'dogs). Citadel looks impressive this year (Wisconsin game looked nice). I see Citadel making another statement and putting a hurting on the Mocs by at least 10...

APPALACHIAN STATE at ELON: A few have mentioned it, but not enough credit has been give to Elon for the nice job they have done building up their offense this year. I think this is probably the best air game the Phoenix have had since joining the SoCon - nice to see (finally). The issue here is this plays to Apps only defensive strength - the secondary. Homer or not, ASU has not shown yet that it's run defense can stop anything effectively (Michigan, NAU, Wofford). No one has had a great air game yet (nor do I suspect they will). Does not bode well for Elon offense. Combine this with the huge wake-up from Michigan hangover (thank you Wofford), my gut tells me this one is going to get ugly (Mountaineer practice this week - ouch!). App by at least 24 behind Elder & KR and the defense makes a statement...

appfan2008
September 25th, 2007, 07:19 AM
I think what i can tell from all these posts is that asu fans feel that asu will wake up and kick some phoenix tail while all other socon fans see elon as a team that can keep it close but in the end asu wins... to cut to the chase... it seems everyone has winning and in the end that is all that matters!
GoAPPS!

GaSouthern
September 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM
GSU 70 WCU 69 (blocked field goal) :)

AlphaSigMD
September 25th, 2007, 09:51 AM
GSU - WCU: GSU is pissed from last week and decides to take it out on the cats. WCU implodes like that ship in the Abyss. GSU 49-WCU 20

Citadel - UTC: UTC scores early, after which the Bulldogs stop playing like the Keydets. Citadel 34 - UTC 17

ASU - Elon: ASU hangs an L on Elon at Rhodes. Look for more trey elder in this game as I think armanti's injury is more serious than Moore's letting on , a healthy dose of K-rich and a scrappy Elon team that is playing to wash away the memories of past embaressments. After the game, Elon does however end up with the moral victory that comes with being comforted by the most beautiful girls in the Socon. ASU 45 - Elon 27

Furman - Wofford: A confident Wofford team riding high comes into Paladinland after their biggest win since 2003. Furman's a team that's played hard, but has little to show for it. Look for that to change as the Paladin nation celebrates a win saturday night, over a good matchup of an opponent. ASU cringes as the transitive property runs amok on message boards everywhere. Furman 24 - Wofford 20

CamelCityAppFan
September 25th, 2007, 10:05 AM
App beats Elon in a game that will be closer than the final score indicates.
The really underrated Citadal dogs the Mocs in a blowout.
Georgia Southern and Western look like the GSU and WCU of yore as the Eagles open up a can of whoopass on the Cats.

Furman-Wofford: who thought the SoCon pivotal game of the season would happen in the 2nd week of conference play?

If Wofford wins, the Terriers have a big, early advantage in the run for the SoCon championship.

If Furman wins, and so does App, The Cit, and GSU, well, hell-- what a conference ride we'll have this year...

My call for Furman-Wofford? Too close to call...

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I'm excited this season as there is more than 3 games that have post season implications in the Conference this season. This buzz might be a weekly thing of who might beat who.

WoCoTerrier
September 25th, 2007, 10:18 AM
In order to simplify things, and to avoid all of those games with postseason implications, Wofford will go ahead and win out the rest of the season. No need to thank us, just doing what we can to help.xlolx

HiHiYikas
September 25th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Not much of a picker (my banjo excepted), but here goes...

WCU at GaSo - GaSo almost certainly wins - WCU can put some points on the board against the Eagles, but not enough, not in Statesboro...

Wofford at Furman - This ASU fan would like to see the Terriers hit a 2-week wall after playing two very tough matchups against NCSU and ASU. @ Furman and @ The Citadel might be a good way to make that happen. Furman isn't sunk yet - a win to start off conference play could be the shot in the arm they need. Furman almost always beats the Terriers in Greenville, and I'm not interested in picking against that this week. Wofford loses a close one, 3-2.

ASU at Elon - 9/1 Mountaineers 54, Elon 14. 9/22 Mountaineers ??, Elon 34, with ASU just as likely under 34 than over. The real Mountaineers will show up Saturday...will that be good or bad news for ASU fans?

El Cid at UTC - A so-far-great-looking Citadel wins a close one in Chattanooga, further indicating that the SoCon is a tough, balanced conference this year.

citdog
September 25th, 2007, 10:50 AM
[I]

El Cid at UTC - A so-far-great-looking THE Citadel wins a close one in Chattanooga, further indicating that the SoCon is a tough, balanced conference this year.

fixed it

citdog
September 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM
The really inderrated Citadal dogs the Mocs in a blowout.

i don't even know what to say about this, except for the prediculation it's wrong in so MANY ways.

SCPALADIN
September 25th, 2007, 11:38 AM
[I] Wofford loses a close one, 3-2.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

SCPALADIN
September 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM
i don't even know what to say about this, except for the prediculation it's wrong in so MANY ways.

"Such as" needs to be added in there a few times to make the sentance true Appy material...xrotatehx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 25th, 2007, 12:11 PM
The reason the jury is still out on UTC's offense is that they only hung a few more on you than CCU, and that was only because you played an OT.

I am sort of going with my gut feeling but I don't think there's any question that their offense can average 30 points or so per game if they play like they did Saturday. GSU's defense played by far their best game agains them and UTC was able to move the ball well. UTC's playoff chances are shot considering that they have to play Arkansas and the rest of the Socon schedule but they are going to be a hurdle to all six of the Socon teams that still have a reasonable chance.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Socon game of the week = Wofford @ Furman...I think that's pretty much the consensus.

CamelCityAppFan
September 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Which part, that The Citadel is underrated this year (I think they are much better than are being giving credit for) or that they'll blow out Chatty? (Call me crazy, but I have a feeling they will...)

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Socon game of the week = Wofford @ Furman...I think that's pretty much the consensus.

well, it certainly is the game I am most interested in xsmiley_wix

HiHiYikas
September 25th, 2007, 03:15 PM
fixed it
If you want to get really technical, it should be "THE so-far-great-looking Citadel," instead of "A so-far-great-looking Citadel..."

So why in the world isn't it THE citdog?

xsmiley_wix

citdog
September 25th, 2007, 03:24 PM
If you want to get really technical, it should be "THE so-far-great-looking Citadel," instead of "A so-far-great-looking Citadel..."

So why in the world isn't it THE citdog?

xsmiley_wix

i answered this yesterday but will give again. i will answer to citdog, dogcit(but only from mr.chicken), cit, dog, or horseschmeckle.

HiHiYikas
September 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM
i answered this yesterday but will give again. i will answer to citdog, dogcit(but only from mr.chicken), cit, dog, or horseschmeckle.
You sould just go ahead and ask the mods to create a "Proper use of The Citadel Name" thread, for all us unenlightened folk...

citdog
September 25th, 2007, 03:43 PM
You sould just go ahead and ask the mods to create a "Proper use of The Citadel Name" thread, for all us unenlightened folk...

DONE!

terrierbob
September 25th, 2007, 04:09 PM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

What's your team ERA? Holding us to two runs would be a feat.

matfu
September 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM
wow...oldfootball guy....way to go out on a limb!

i say:

citadel all over utc

ga southern whips western

asu beats elon with ease

furman clobbers wofford 42-21

FurmanPaladins4138
September 26th, 2007, 04:36 PM
ASU cringes as the transitive property runs amok on message boards everywhere. Furman 24 - Wofford 20

Hahahahaha...transitive property running amok...

Nice prediction, I agree (and oh, do I hope I'm right...)

SU DOG
September 26th, 2007, 05:46 PM
WOW!! I don't know who will win any of these games, but I do love the obvious intensity and excitement of SoCon Football. Can't wait 'till next season when we will be a part of this. Hope our young pups(55 freshmen on our roster) will come on and we will be competitive in our new conference. I really believe that we will - Pat Sullivan is a GREAT recruiter and a darn good coach. He may have to take a few lumps this year with such a young team, but I look forward to next fall. 'Till then I will follow each week of this unpredictable SoCon Season with keen interest.
GO DOGS!!!!!

OL FU
September 26th, 2007, 05:49 PM
WOW!! I don't know who will win any of these games, but I do love the obvious intensity and excitement of SoCon Football. Can't wait 'till next season when we will be a part of this. Hope our young pups(55 freshmen on our roster) will come on and we will be competitive in our new conference. I really believe that we will - Pat Sullivan is a GREAT recruiter and a darn good coach. He may have to take a few lumps this year with such a young team, but I look forward to next fall. 'Till then I will follow each week of this unpredictable SoCon Season with keen interest.
GO DOGS!!!!!

Good to have you posting here. and the SoCon will make sure the lumps Pat takes will be even bigger next yearxthumbsupx

citdog
GO DOGS!!!!!

the only "Go Dogs" allowed is by fans of THE CITADEL SoCon KNOB! NOW GET YOUR CHIN IN!

OL FU
the only "Go Dogs" allowed is by fans of THE CITADEL SoCon KNOB! NOW GET YOUR CHIN IN!

Translation: "Welcome Aboard"xlolx

bustingnut
September 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Georgia Southern will womp the Cats 54 to 18.
Furman will squeeze past Wofford in the second half 31 to 17.
Chattanooga stubs the Knobby toes of a citadel 24 to 23.

Read it and weep.

walliver
September 26th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Don't be frightened by the bulldogs, it has been a long time since they won a dogfight.xnodx

The Cats
September 26th, 2007, 08:56 PM

I think you are right. Their wins are over Div II foe West Georgia (45-21) and a very weak Coastal Carolina (42-34). These wins sounds pretty good until you look at both West Georgia and Coastal Carolina's records - then figure in GSU’s loss to Chattanoga.

West Georgia is 1-3, with their only win against Clark Atlanta (most good HS could beat C-A) West Georgia also lost to Newberry, 64-7

Coastal Carolina is 1-3 this season with its only win against Winston-Salem State(a second year Div I transitional team). Coastal has lost all 3 of its 1-AA games this year most recently to James Madison, 10 - 45

While the Eagles have won two, their wins are certainly suspect as their competition was definitely lacking. I think the tough games and experience the Cats gained against Alabama and Georgia will pay off this weekend in Statesboro with a win for Western.

Old Montana State Grad
September 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I think you are right. Their wins are over Div II foe West Georgia (45-21) and a very weak Coastal Carolina (42-34). These wins sounds pretty good until you look at both West Georgia and Coastal Carolina's records - then figure in GSU’s loss to Chattanoga.

West Georgia is 1-3, with their only win against Clark Atlanta (most good HS could beat C-A) West Georgia also lost to Newberry, 64-7

Coastal Carolina is 1-3 this season with its only win against Winston-Salem State(a second year Div I transitional team). Coastal has lost all 3 of its 1-AA games this year most recently to James Madison, 10 - 45

While the Eagles have won two, their wins are certainly suspect as their competition was definitely lacking. I think the tough games and experience the Cats gained against Alabama and Georgia will pay off this weekend in Statesboro with a win for Western.

Man, I hope you are wrong. As much as I love to hate the Yankees, GSU is to 1-AA football (heck with Dougie Foolerton, it's still 1-AA as far as I'm concernedxsmiley_wix ) as the Yankees are to baseball. Keep the traditional powers on top, along with Ape State and Furman.

walliver
September 26th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Man, I hope you are wrong. As much as I love to hate the Yankees, GSU is to 1-AA football (heck with Dougie Foolerton, it's still 1-AA as far as I'm concernedxsmiley_wix ) as the Yankees are to baseball. Keep the traditional powers on top, along with Ape State and Furman.

GSU will get better, but the "Big Three" is on the way out. The rest of the conference has turned up the burners, and the SoCon is becoming the SEC of the FCS - every game will be a battle (Samford will have to be Vanderbilt for a while:D ).

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2007, 10:20 PM
GSU still has Jayson Foster. They can literally win with just him.

Old Montana State Grad
September 26th, 2007, 10:32 PM
GSU still has Jayson Foster. They can literally win with just him.

You got that exactly right! He's already got 686 yards in three games.

http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/section/47/

Great articles on their status.

Also, check out the ladies with shotguns for some real down home keeping the family in line on the home linksxcoolx

OL FU
September 27th, 2007, 05:20 AM
GSU will get better, but the "Big Three" is on the way out. The rest of the conference has turned up the burners, and the SoCon is becoming the SEC of the FCS - every game will be a battle (Samford will have to be Vanderbilt for a while:D ).

xeyebrowx I would prefer to say something like, the BIG Three better make room for others. Or the Big three will not continue to dominate as in the past.

The Big three is on the way out sounds.................diminishingxeyebrowx

BulldogFan
September 27th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Western hangs around due to weak GSU defense and loses late
Appy wins by 10
Furman over Wofford in a close one
El Cid over UTC by 7

citdog
September 27th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Translation: "Welcome Aboard"xlolx

olfu knows my language!

citdog
September 27th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Don't be frightened by the bulldogs, it has been a long time since they won a dogfight.xnodx

low blow!xrulesx xcoffeex xbawlingx

HiHiYikas
September 27th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Appy wins by 10
El Cid over UTC by 7
Welcome aboard, BulldogFan...and nice picks...four games, maybe a 7-point victory margin on average...

SoCon football 2007 is brought to you by LOTREL®...

http://www.startsampling.com/images/9656.jpg

OL FU
September 27th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Appy wins by 10
El Cid over UTC by 7

Yes Welcome aboard.

Just what we need another THE Citadel fanxrolleyesx :p xsmiley_wix

BulldogFan
September 27th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks. Even though it's only one game deep, SOCON seems more balanced. Don't seem to be many walkover games. Will this balance cost the conference come playoff bid time? Almost a double edge sword.

OL FU
September 27th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Thanks. Even though it's only one game deep, SOCON seems more balanced. Don't seem to be many walkover games. Will this balance cost the conference come playoff bid time? Almost a double edge sword.

Don't say that outloud the conference formerly known as the A-10 might be listeningxoopsx

citdog
September 27th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Yes Welcome aboard.

Just what we need another THE Citadel fanxrolleyesx :p xsmiley_wix

WE ARE LEGION! WE ARE RISING!

citdog
September 27th, 2007, 09:06 AM

what OLFU said!xwhistlex xwhistlex

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2007, 09:26 AM
WE ARE LEGION! WE ARE RISING!

That happens when your mostly HOT AIR! xrolleyesx xlolx xsmiley_wix

citdog
September 27th, 2007, 09:28 AM
That happens when your mostly HOT AIR! xrolleyesx xlolx xsmiley_wix

xlolx xrotatehx :D xcoolx :p xsmiley_wix

BULLDOG8180
September 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM

I have a feeling that will change on OCT 6th!xnodx

BULLDOG8180
September 27th, 2007, 10:16 AM
xeyebrowx I would prefer to say something like, the BIG Three better make room for others. Or the Big three will not continue to dominate as in the past.

Let's just borrow something that the midwest used to use, THE BIG 8!
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Mounties, Woffy, Herman, THE El Cid, UTC, Elon.......well, maybe the BIG 6!!
xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xsmiley_wix

citdog
September 27th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Let's just borrow something that the midwest used to use, THE BIG 8!xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

and NO GSU! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrotatehx xnodx :) xrulesx

BULLDOG8180
September 27th, 2007, 10:20 AM

Let's just borrow something that the midwest used to use, THE BIG 8!
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

ASU88
September 27th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I would love to be able to see the Furman-Wofford game. I know the history and I guess I have to be pulling for Furman, but if I was going to bet my hard-earned dollars (I'm not) I'd have to put them on Wofford.

They looked awfully strong last weekend. Strong enough that I'd be surprised if it was them just getting up for one big game.

HaveFunKc
September 27th, 2007, 09:35 PM
and NO GSU! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrotatehx xnodx :) xrulesx

Second that... xthumbsupx

Seven Would Be Nice
September 27th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Second that... xthumbsupx

Don't count us out yet. We have a lot to work on this year, but we aren't done.

We are still 2-1, which is better than most in the SoCon right now.

Death Dealer
September 28th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Don't count us out yet. We have a lot to work on this year, but we aren't done.

We are still 2-1, which is better than most in the SoCon right now.
I never count GSU out of any season.xnonox Especially not one where we have to play at Paulson.xreadx Let's just say that I am a little less nervous as of late than I normally am, which means that I'll only need a 5mg Valium before the game instead of the normal 10 mg dose. xlolx xrolleyesx xlolx

KJ Eagle
September 28th, 2007, 07:06 AM
WESTERN CAROLINA at GEORGIA SOUTHERN: GSU's defense just got rocked by an up & down Chatty offense. Going against the Cats is the cure to get them back on track. GSU by 17 if not more...

WOFFORD at FURMAN: SoCon game of the week IMO. Furman wants to prove they are better than the naysayers and the Terriers want to prove that last week was not their Game of Year. The matchups look intriquing to say the least. Is this the time for Furman to step up and show FCS what they are made of? Or does Wofford change the face of the SoCon for 2007? I think this game has SoCon championship implications (even this early in the season). Too easy to give this one to Wofford given what they just did to App last week (run offense impressive), but I think Furples know what's at stake and want a play in the SoCon title. Paladins win in an extremely tight game to keep the SoCon title a race (if not, Wofford has the inside track to the title)...

THE CITADEL at CHATTANOOGA: Can anyone explain Chattanooga? Really? Lose to a DII, but then torch GSU for 45... Which team shows up is the question. In the end, I don't think it will matter (save a total collapse by the 'dogs). Citadel looks impressive this year (Wisconsin game looked nice). I see Citadel making another statement and putting a hurting on the Mocs by at least 10...

APPALACHIAN STATE at ELON: A few have mentioned it, but not enough credit has been give to Elon for the nice job they have done building up their offense this year. I think this is probably the best air game the Phoenix have had since joining the SoCon - nice to see (finally). The issue here is this plays to Apps only defensive strength - the secondary. Homer or not, ASU has not shown yet that it's run defense can stop anything effectively (Michigan, NAU, Wofford). No one has had a great air game yet (nor do I suspect they will). Does not bode well for Elon offense. Combine this with the huge wake-up from Michigan hangover (thank you Wofford), my gut tells me this one is going to get ugly (Mountaineer practice this week - ouch!). App by at least 24 behind Elder & KR and the defense makes a statement...

We didn't get rocked by them, we gave them the game. 4 turnovers (one that they returned for a TD) gave them the ball way too close to our goal line. They had scoring drives of less than 35 yards due to the other three turnovers. We also had a phantom pass interference call on a ball that we intercepted in the endzone that gave them another first and goal. Our defense needs a good deal of work, I'll grant you that. But to say we got rocked is a bit of a stretch. Next time do more than look at the score...

FurmanPaladins4138
September 28th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I'll throw mine in...and I'll even pick scores...

Western Carolina 20 at Georgia Southern 42

Wofford 14 at Furman 24

The Citadel 31 at Chattanooga 17

Appalachian St. 28 at Elon 14

HaveFunKc
September 30th, 2007, 03:13 PM
We didn't get rocked by them, we gave them the game. 4 turnovers (one that they returned for a TD) gave them the ball way too close to our goal line. They had scoring drives of less than 35 yards due to the other three turnovers. We also had a phantom pass interference call on a ball that we intercepted in the endzone that gave them another first and goal. Our defense needs a good deal of work, I'll grant you that. But to say we got rocked is a bit of a stretch. Next time do more than look at the score...

Understood the stats... But even if it was only a 1-point loss - is was Chatty. The game should never have been that close. xnonox

GSU is much better than that.