PDA

View Full Version : Does Elon deserve to be ranked?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 22nd, 2007, 10:53 PM
GSU got a thread like this last week, so I figure Elon should, too. With NDSU pummeling Central Michigan and App losing to an FBS team for the first time since their game with Furman in October 2005, no one noticed that Elon waxed Liberty 42-14. Liberty is the team that took (what I assume is) a good William and Mary Team into overtime. They also beat a DII team in a way you'd expect a top-25 FCS team to beat them and gave ranked South Florida all that they could handle.

Great Job so far, Phoenix!!

BigApp
September 22nd, 2007, 10:54 PM
no.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 22nd, 2007, 10:56 PM
no.

Can you give me a cliff-notes version of that, please? I don't like to spend all night reading mini-novels on a message board.

JMU2004
September 22nd, 2007, 11:07 PM
hate to say it, but W&M is pretty bad. Philips is a stud, but thats it for right now. Laycock will scheme something up to make them .500 or just over, but I didn't think VT would make them look THAT bad.

SuperJon
September 22nd, 2007, 11:15 PM
I said W&M should be ranked last week because I was impressed with how they carved up what I thought to be our good defense. Then I saw the same ineptness at QB this week, the same problems on defense, etc and I realized it's not the W&M was great last week, it's just that we suck right now. Elon played great today. It was the first time I'd ever thought about leaving a game early. Let's see how they do next week vs App. With that being said, they're in that "others receiving votes" category for me meaning that they're tempting right now, but not really over that hump yet.

With all of that being said, I think we're the first team to officially be eliminated from playoff consideration for lack of Division I wins. Even if we were to win out, we'd only have six.

citdog1997
September 22nd, 2007, 11:17 PM
Nice win today Elon!! Way to make the SoCon proud. That makes the
Big Suck 0-4 for the year!!! Elon deserves to be ranked. Lembo is doing
a great job and turning your program in the right direction.
Riddle gets my vote for SoCon player of the week!!!

ngineer
September 22nd, 2007, 11:32 PM
I said W&M should be ranked last week because I was impressed with how they carved up what I thought to be our good defense. Then I saw the same ineptness at QB this week, the same problems on defense, etc and I realized it's not the W&M was great last week, it's just that we suck right now. Elon played great today. It was the first time I'd ever thought about leaving a game early. Let's see how they do next week vs App. With that being said, they're in that "others receiving votes" category for me meaning that they're tempting right now, but not really over that hump yet.

With all of that being said, I think we're the first team to officially be eliminated from playoff consideration for lack of Division I wins. Even if we were to win out, we'd only have six.

Sorry to hear that,..but on the other hand, you get to snuggle up with Hattie over in Crapsville ;)
As for Elon, they certainly appear 'interesting' but they don't have a 'big win' yet, and 'moral victory losses' cannot be relied upon. If they take care of business the next week or two, their ranking will come.

th0m
September 23rd, 2007, 06:02 AM
Elon ranked, for what? The fact that they beat Liberty by more than W&M doesn't make them top 25, W&M aint top 25 either. Then they beat a DII. Okay, they hung with USF who seems to be a good team especially after beating Auburn and seriously whipping UNC, but Elon's sole TD came in the 4th quarter, with the rest of the scoring for the Phoenix being just 2 FG's. USF didn't score all that much either, but it was the first game afterall.

appfan2008
September 23rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
elon looks better than they have been but not top 25 material!

go beat us next week and then yes i will have them up in the top 20 or 15 but mark my words... that aint gonna happen

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2007, 07:59 AM
For what it's worth...

Elon 13, South Florida 28 (wk.1) - Elon down 13-7 at half I think

UNC 37, James Madison 14 (wk.1) - Not even as close at that looked

#23 South Florida 37, UNC 10 (wk.4)- tailwhipping.

...I realize transitivity doesn't work in football. But those scores tell me that Elon might be a little better than everyone seemed to think to begin the season.

CID1990
September 23rd, 2007, 08:02 AM
I have predicted before that Elon is going to surprise some people this year. Their most likely SoCon upsets are Furman, GSU (beginning to not look like an upset), Chatty, and The Citadel.

Elon could potentially be playing for a top three spot and a possible at-large bid.

appfan2008
September 23rd, 2007, 08:05 AM
do YOU think they have a shot next week with app?

gophoenix
September 23rd, 2007, 08:16 AM
no.

Big surprise answer there.

I say no too. But then again. We actually played a team that is in the I-A top 25 now.

Smack aside. Polls are meaningless as can be seen with Michigan at the beginning of the season. Furman now. And how Coastal, Liberty, Gardner-Webb and others are getting votes all while The Citadel sits outside the top 25.

So the person that said moral victories don't mean much is only half true. That matter for some teams and not others.

Polls are a popularity contest.

gophoenix
September 23rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
do YOU think they have a shot next week with app?

They have as much of a shot as anyone else. What games does the youngest FCS bring and what game does App bring? I don't expect it to be the blowout most App fans think it will be.

After all, many App fans thought Liberty would blow us out.

Nice win today Elon!! Way to make the SoCon proud. That makes the
Big Suck 0-4 for the year!!! Elon deserves to be ranked. Lembo is doing
a great job and turning your program in the right direction.
Riddle gets my vote for SoCon player of the week!!!

Nah. Riddle will be freshman of the week again. Hudgins may be able to pull off player of the week wit the 216 receiving yards and 4 TDs. Or it could be someone from Wofford. Lots of good performers yesterday.

Saint3333
September 23rd, 2007, 09:44 AM
They have as much of a shot as anyone else. What games does the youngest FCS bring and what game does App bring? I don't expect it to be the blowout most App fans think it will be.

Nah. Riddle will be freshman of the week again. Hudgins may be able to pull off player of the week wit the 216 receiving yards and 4 TDs. Or it could be someone from Wofford. Lots of good performers yesterday.

GP always paints ASU fans in the worst light. Check the SoCon week 4 thread most ASU fans including myself picked Elon by 10+ over Liberty.

Next week is GP's Christmas if Elon were to pull the upset, it would be the biggest win in Elon athletic history. This is by far the best team Elon has had since joining the SoCon, but hopefully ASU has been knocked back to reality. ASU SHOULD win this game, but that's why they play the game.

SuperJon
September 23rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
If Elder plays next week and not Edwards, Elon has a chance.

Jaxhen
September 23rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
I ranked Elon 25th in my vote. They will give some teams trouble this year.

Appguy
September 23rd, 2007, 12:04 PM
I also have them at #25. heck I even had them in my preseason top 25

gophoenix
September 23rd, 2007, 12:40 PM
GP always paints ASU fans in the worst light. Check the SoCon week 4 thread most ASU fans including myself picked Elon by 10+ over Liberty.

Most App fans do this well enough on their own. It doesn't apply to you or any of the ones I know personally or work with, but to many on the boards it does.

Next week is GP's Christmas if Elon were to pull the upset, it would be the biggest win in Elon athletic history. This is by far the best team Elon has had since joining the SoCon, but hopefully ASU has been knocked back to reality. ASU SHOULD win this game, but that's why they play the game.

Why Christmas. It is no different than any other game. It is a must win to get to the playoffs. And to say it would be the biggest win in school history is a bit over the top, to be honest. I think the two NAIA National Championship wins should trump any regular season game, hands down.

ASU should win the game, no doubt. And they are better on paper. But then Liberty was better on paper too. App is no Liberty though. But then we are no Elon of the past few seasons either.

Two things will be shown in this game:
1) How App bounces back. It's been said, no reason to rehash what this means.
2) How setbacks will affect Elon with practically no senior leadership and being lead by freshman and sophomores in all the key positions.

It should be a good game with App coming out on top. Either way, a close game and we all (App and Elon fans) get our money's worth.

We usually sell 11,000 for family weekend playing Johnson C Smith, Liberty, ETSU, Presbyterian, etc. The App game draws big from the local App contingent. So, I am really curious to see what the crowd is like and where they put all the people. The ticket office pretty much said that they will let anyone willing to pay in. Could be ugly inside. But maybe this will be the kick in the pants to get the school to horseshoe the lower level around like the original plan was.

BigApp
September 23rd, 2007, 12:51 PM

Where can we verify this? xeyebrowx

ElonPride
September 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
For what it's worth...

Elon 13, South Florida 28 (wk.1) - Elon down 13-7 at half I think

UNC 37, James Madison 14 (wk.1) - Not even as close at that looked

#23 South Florida 37, UNC 10 (wk.4)- tailwhipping.

...I realize transitivity doesn't work in football. But those scores tell me that Elon might be a little better than everyone seemed to think to begin the season.

The South florida game was definetely winnable. Elon had 2 turnovers in the red zone and missed 2 FGs.

appfan2008
September 23rd, 2007, 02:22 PM
does anyone think it will be a game this weekend

ElonPride
September 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM

Sorry, if we did pull an upset, it would NOT be the biggest "win" in Elon athletic history.

That either falls to the baseball team in the regionals or beating Clempson in bball when they were 27th in the polls, and breakin the SoCon's 37 game losing streak versus ACC teams.

ElonPride
September 23rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
does anyone think it will be a game this weekend

It will be a better game than most think.

terrierbob
September 23rd, 2007, 02:29 PM
Trey Elder looked pretty good to me. We held Edwards' running in check pretty well. For you App State fans: what sort of fall off do you think you have with Elder in and not AE?

gophoenix
September 23rd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Where can we verify this? xeyebrowx

You're an App fan, I'm sure one of your fans can dig it up. Maybe the one guy who went to Elon's stadium last spring to count seats? He seems to be good at counting, maybe he'd be a good candidate to count the app fans who picked Liberty.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
Yes, Elon will give App. a game especially if the App. doesn't come into the game focused.

Elons goal for the season: "beat GSU, beat ASU", whereas the goal of GSU and ASU is "make the playoffs"

gophoenix
September 23rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
Yes, Elon will give App. a game especially if the App. doesn't come into the game focused.

Elons goal for the season: "beat GSU, beat ASU", whereas the goal of GSU and ASU is "make the playoffs"

In preseason interviews, Lembo said the goal was the playoffs but it was premature to set up for a goal of a national championship.... in a nutshell

Saint3333
September 23rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Sorry, if we did pull an upset, it would NOT be the biggest "win" in Elon athletic history.

That either falls to the baseball team in the regionals or beating Clempson in bball when they were 27th in the polls, and breakin the SoCon's 37 game losing streak versus ACC teams.

Ok. Sorry didn't know that happened, I wonder how many people doxeyebrowx. You should have a poll on the Elon site you may be surprised by the answer. ASU is your superbowl and you know it. And in all honesty this is the best opportunity Elon has had at pulling the upset against ASU since joining the conference. I'm not expecting a blowout after watching our defense last weekend.

Saint3333
September 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM
In preseason interviews, Lembo said the goal was the playoffs but it was premature to set up for a goal of a national championship.... in a nutshell

Elon - national championship - same sentence.

What are you drinking...xhomerx

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2007, 08:05 PM
Liberty must be better than I thought. Last week William & Mary get an OT win at home and the Tribe fans want W&M ranked. Now this week, Elon gets a win against Liberty and the Elon fans want them ranked. I'll bet next week's fans of the winner between St Francis and Liberty will want their team ranked as well. What exactly is the motto out east this year---Beat Liberty and get in the top 25?

Once again, in the words of John Bender from the Breakfast Club---"NOT EVEN CLOSE, BUD!!!"

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
I'd probably have them ranked if I wanted to put myself through the pain of participating in the AGS poll. That competetive game against South Florida is looking pretty darned good right now. It's a loss, but I think there are a number of teams in the top 25 right now, including my McNeese Cowboys, who don't have a performance as impressive as Elon's 28-13 loss to South Florida.

gophoenix
September 23rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Liberty must be better than I thought. Last week William & Mary get an OT win at home and the Tribe fans want W&M ranked. Now this week, Elon gets a win against Liberty and the Elon fans want them ranked. I'll bet next week's fans of the winner between St Francis and Liberty will want their team ranked as well. What exactly is the motto out east this year---Beat Liberty and get in the top 25?

Once again, in the words of John Bender from the Breakfast Club---"NOT EVEN CLOSE, BUD!!!"

Where have Elon fans said they should be ranked? Show me.

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2007, 09:07 PM

Ummm, the title of this thread???

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2007, 09:09 PM

I think South Florida is a lot better than the San Diego State team Portland State played yesterday. I think they're a lot better than McNeese too. See the rationale?

You look at the performances and ask if it looks like the performances have been among the top 25. Elon played very respectably against an undefeated South Florida team that won at Auburn and beat North Carolina by 37-10 yesterday. Then they absolutely pummeled their next two opponents including one that took a CAA team into overtime.

We'll find out more about Elon in their next game when they play App State. But right now a reasonable argument that they belong in the top 25 can certainly be made.

SuperJon
September 23rd, 2007, 09:28 PM

Wasn't an Elon fan that started it.

gophoenix
September 23rd, 2007, 09:29 PM

A Georgia Southern poster started this thread.

BigApp
September 23rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
You're an App fan, I'm sure one of your fans can dig it up.

I don't think we should, you made the claim.

And, I KNOW AppMan didn't say it, so leave him out of this.

gophoenix
September 23rd, 2007, 09:55 PM
I don't think we should, you made the claim.

And, I KNOW AppMan didn't say it, so leave him out of this.

Same tiring stuff

xcoffeex

BigApp
September 23rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Same tiring stuff

You're correct! You've made another claim you can't back up!

Same tiring stuff

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 23rd, 2007, 10:47 PM

You don't think you at least have a case to be ranked?

gophoenix
September 24th, 2007, 07:07 AM
You don't think you at least have a case to be ranked?

I mean, I think we have a case to be in consideration above some of the ranked or some of the teams getting votes. But I think The Citadel has much more of a case right now. Until they are ranked, we do not deserve to be.

Tealblood
September 24th, 2007, 07:08 AM
play well this week and you are in my top 25

gophoenix
September 24th, 2007, 07:09 AM
You're correct! You've made another claim you can't back up!

xreadx

If you have a problem with what I said, it is your job to refute it, not mine. That is the way a discussion, or argument, works.

But I see it has, yet again, come to this with you.

Buh bye, BigApper. You are now officially blocked as I do not want to waste the bandwidth reading your messages any longer.

Toodles.

ElonPride
September 24th, 2007, 08:04 AM

WHAT ELON FANS ARE SAYING WE SHOULD BE RANKED?????

andy7171
September 24th, 2007, 08:45 AM
While I was impressed with how they played South Florida in the loss, I don't think a win over West Virginia Weslian and Liberty qualify for a national ranking. The easy part of their schedule is over, sadly I don't see them winning more than 2 games from here out.

Good luck though.

ElonPride
September 24th, 2007, 09:43 AM
While I was impressed with how they played South Florida in the loss, I don't think a win over West Virginia Weslian and Liberty qualify for a national ranking. The easy part of their schedule is over, sadly I don't see them winning more than 2 games from here out.

Good luck though.

It seems that the schedule was supposed to be tough from the start, and WVWU was supposed to be a tuneup game. Liberty was supposed to be pretty good this year. They have something like 13 FBS transfer(which doesn't make a team), had 2 huge RBs averaging over 100 yards a game and a return team that had run a TD back 5 of the last 6 game (now 5 of the last 7).

From here on out, I don't expect us to gain 500+ yards of offense very often, but after the 1st 3 games I sure didn't expect us to average 444 yards of offense per game, and offense averaging 38 ppg, a true freshman QB throw for throw for 940 yards and 8 scores, a freshman QB leading the nation in effeiceny and yards per game, a receiver leading the nation in yards per game and receptions per game, a defense that's only given up 58 points, a punt return team leading the nation in yards per return....etc.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 14th, 2007, 12:55 PM
How about now?

gophoenix
October 14th, 2007, 12:57 PM
How about now?

I still say no. We aren't a top 25 team until we play with consistency and start wrapping up tackles on the first hit. GSU played to our weakness and Elon played to GSU's weakness. Maybe both haven't deserved to be ranked so far.

WVAPPmountaineer
October 14th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Beat Wofford next week and Elon will not only be ranked but looking squarely at a possible playoff berth ---

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 14th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I still say no. We aren't a top 25 team until we play with consistency and start wrapping up tackles on the first hit. GSU played to our weakness and Elon played to GSU's weakness. Maybe both haven't deserved to be ranked so far.

I think you need to give ASU and GSU credit...we have two of the best running attacks in the FCS. WCU has shown they have a few playmakers on their team, also.

appfan2008
October 14th, 2007, 02:02 PM
that win yesterday against gsu cements their spot in the top 25 for me!

gophoenix
October 14th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I think you need to give ASU and GSU credit...we have two of the best running attacks in the FCS. WCU has shown they have a few playmakers on their team, also.

GSU and Elon both have the ability to be a solid top 25 team. But both have been so up and down that they've only had 1 or 2 games together this year where both sides of the ball have played well.

Yesterday, both defenses played a great game in spots. The GSU defensive line played extremely well, IMO. And the double coverage on Hudgins and Mayers took away the top 2 WR targets. Elon stacked the box and put a ton of pressure on Foster which opened up runs to the wings which is where you should have been running to all game. But the pressure on Foster took the complete passing game away from GSU. The defenses came through yesterday making both offenses look pretty pathetic at times.

If the GSU team that scored relentlessly against SDSU and Western showed up with the defense yesterday then you'd see a solid team. Just like if the offense that showed up for Elon against Liberty, part of App and WVWU showed up with the defense from yesterday, you'd see a solid Elon.

Anyway. Enough of this game. We both have games against two of the best I-AA teams this week.

windwalker
October 14th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I didn't put them in the top 25 on the AGS poll, but I did vote for them for the "Best Win" !!!!

furman94
October 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Daggum, We sceduled them as Homecoming this year. They look scary after GSU and App.