PDA

View Full Version : Stowers must go!

Cobblestone
September 22nd, 2007, 08:20 PM
xmadx

0-4 and I doubt we'll win a game this year. We play a great first half then totally collapse in the second. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!? Time for a coaching change. He's a nice guy and all but he's not winning games.

Losing seasons = fired.

mrklean
September 22nd, 2007, 08:38 PM
xmadx

0-4 and I doubt we'll win a game this year. We play a great first half then totally collapse in the second. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!? Time for a coaching change. He's a nice guy and all but he's not winning games.

Losing seasons = fired.

Now you see why we got rind of him...................................xsmiley_wix

Brad82
September 23rd, 2007, 08:03 AM
great list of candidates:
Darren Rizzi-asst.hc Rutgers
Chip Kelley-OC Oregon
Chuck Priorie-HC Stony Brook
Dave Clawson-HC-Richmond
Tom Massella-HC Fordham
Dan Mullen-OC Florida
Steve Stoehr-HC Cranston West HS
Tom Centore-HC Cranston East HS
Bill McCagney-HC Barringotn HS
Jack Cochran-former HS-New London,New Britain HS
Ryan Day-WR coach-BC
Wally Dembowski-asst. coach-Northeastern

Brad82
September 23rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
most are friends of mine,they used to play there.
We can put them on the search committee then.

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2007, 09:16 AM
High school coaches just don't jump to D1 head coaches.

Well...they do...but most of the time it doesn't work out. Course most of the time when that happens they're going into a bad situation.

Take one example this year: Tood Dodge going from Southlake-Carroll High School in Texas to be head coach at North Texas. The Mean Green are 0-3 now and just lost their opening Sun Belt Conference game by 20 - 30 to Florida Atlantic in spite of having a 375 - 248 edge in total yards.

But the reason he's there is that North Texas went 3-9 and 2-9 over the previous two seasons so they went out and got a different coach to try to recover from a bad situation.

My guess is a factor in them hiring him is his relationship with local high school coaches as that applies to recruiting. The Dallas metro area is one of the top talent producers in the country. And he did get a quarterback prospect to change his commitment from Texas to North Texas. Course that was his son!

Uncle Buck
September 23rd, 2007, 09:19 AM
xmadx

Losing seasons = fired.

I won't deny that we should have lost, but HU played a horrific first half with INT's of receivers hands, Zarrilli kicking a FG into the back of his o-line. We shoveled as much dirt on us as URI did. Bottom line though, 24-7 at the half, you gotta win. I agree that it has always seemed as though he were a nice guy, but wins and losses keep people happy.

It really sounded like URI was fired up to play in the first half and made some huge plays when they needed to. I didn't hear the second half so i don't know if he went away from the game plan on both sides of the ball or if HU made plays. All in all, URI is capable of beating teams and has some pretty good athletes, so i don't see a winless season. Anyhow, good luck the rest of the way.

Cocky
September 23rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Well...they do...but most of the time it doesn't work out. Course most of the time when that happens they're going into a bad situation.

Take one example this year: Tood Dodge going from Southlake-Carroll High School in Texas to be head coach at North Texas. The Mean Green are 0-3 now and just lost their opening Sun Belt Conference game by 20 - 30 to Florida Atlantic in spite of having a 375 - 248 edge in total yards.

But the reason he's there is that North Texas went 3-9 and 2-9 over the previous two seasons so they went out and got a different coach to try to recover from a bad situation.

My guess is a factor in them hiring him is his relationship with local high school coaches as that applies to recruiting. The Dallas metro area is one of the top talent producers in the country. And he did get a quarterback prospect to change his commitment from Texas to North Texas. Course that was his son!

Todd Dodge has college coaching experience. He was at North Texas before going to Southlake Carroll. Carroll's program is more like running a college program than a normal high school program.

Uncle Buck
September 23rd, 2007, 09:51 AM
I don't think Clawson from Richmond or Priore from Stony Brook would go right now. Stony Brook is going whole hog in supporting their football program right now. With their entrance into the Big South next year, i think it's a conference they can go into and compete in right away. Not sure if he would want to take on a Rhode Island challenge right now.

As for Clawson, he seems like Richmond is getting back on track playing well, not sure if he would go for a lateral in conference move if he's happy down there.

My question, is the support for URI football still on shaky ground? I haven't been up there since they started construction on the basketball arena.

mainejeff
September 23rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
xmadx

0-4 and I doubt we'll win a game this year.

You'll beat Maine.

xcoffeex

Dane96
September 23rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
I feel for you Jeff. Watched the Maine-Umass grad with a couple of former UMASS players. Maine looked absolutely terrible in every aspect of the game.

Cosgrove most certainly needs to go...if anyone is getting canned in the CAA.

That game was over before it started.

Mr. C
September 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
What an idiotic thread. Rhode Island has some of the WORST resources in FCS. Terrible facilities, poor budget etc. So is Rhode Island, a program that puts very little money in its program, going to fire a coach with a multi-year contract? It's not going to happen.

And for the Georgia Southern chirping. Stowers went to the quarterfinals of the playoffs the year he was fired by Georgia Southern.

And can we kill all of this fire Cosgrove stuff, too? Where do you think your program would have been without him in the past decade? Probably not making any playoff appearances, or winning any A-10 championships.

I guess these guys who have won national titles and A-10 titles suddenly got stupid.

Uncle Buck
September 23rd, 2007, 03:06 PM
C, that was my question exactly about URI, what do they put into the program. it would make it incredibly difficult to grab a quality coach unless you could promise him the resources.

As for Maine, i could understand where they are coming from. It seems year in and year out they have 1 or 2 big wins, but lose games they should win overall. Going with a freshman QB will be a tough road, but i don't think Cosgrove has a choice from what i've read. As for Cosgrove however, maybe he's not on top of his game like he used to be. i thought Joe Gardi did a great job getting HU to turn the corner on their move to 1AA, but it did seem after 15 years his coaching and recruiting got stale.

Dane96
September 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
What an idiotic thread. Rhode Island has some of the WORST resources in FCS. Terrible facilities, poor budget etc. So is Rhode Island, a program that puts very little money in its program, going to fire a coach with a multi-year contract? It's not going to happen.

And for the Georgia Southern chirping. Stowers went to the quarterfinals of the playoffs the year he was fired by Georgia Southern.

And can we kill all of this fire Cosgrove stuff, too? Where do you think your program would have been without him in the past decade? Probably not making any playoff appearances, or winning any A-10 championships.

I guess these guys who have won national titles and A-10 titles suddenly got stupid.

Come on Mr. C. While I agree it will be tough to can a multi-year contract coach, URI HAS RESOURCES...they just spend it on hoop. Second, they have just rebuilt the stadium. I do agree, if they can Stowers any new coach needs them to continue to improve resources. I also disagree with those who want a Rhode Island guy. You need a guy who can bring in out-of-state talent. Any good kids from Rhode Island are playing FBS. It simply isn't a big enough football state to build a program out of RI guys.

Believe me, I feel that somewhere down the line URI shuts down the program and goes for hockey, however to say they WONT can a coach because of a contract...is more idiotic than the thread.

Fact is, they did not lose the game because of facilities. This is a team that blew a major lead. That...is poor execution.

All that being said, I think URI is just near that hump...and needs to get over it. They have played prettty decent football, but for one game.

And why can't Maine talk about canning the Coach. First off, the program is not what it used to be. Second, that game yesterday...was atrocious. I was with two UMASS players (former) and we shut the game off after a Qtr...it was that bad.

If they can talk about canning Bobby Bowden and Paterno...people can chat about Cosgrove and Stowers.

If anything, I think Cosgrove should go...but Stowers still deserves some time to get it going.

Mind you...I live in New England and talk about this stuff with CAA/A-Ten grads constantly.

blukeys
September 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
You'll beat Maine.

xcoffeex

I'm kind of surprised the Stowers must go thread beat the Cosgrove must go. ;)

blukeys
September 23rd, 2007, 04:09 PM
Sorry MJ. Did not see your thread on the Smack Board.

Brad82
September 23rd, 2007, 04:11 PM
Mr. C-what do you mean in terms of support-schollies or facilities-I can can give you a clearer picture.

Dane96
September 23rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Clearly, hofstrafan can't count. That means 6 schollys aren't being used.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 23rd, 2007, 05:32 PM
Chip Kelley-OC Oregon
Dave Clawson-HC-Richmond
Tom Massella-HC Fordham
Dan Mullen-OC Florida
Ryan Day-WR coach-BC

Can URI offer a competitive salary for any of these guys?

Ram Ball
September 23rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
If I've heard the facilities excuse once, I've heard it 1,000,000 times over the past 6 or 7 years as to why we are so bad in football. It seems like this is the first year that boosters and alums are actually holding Stowers accountable for the debacle known as URI Football. All other excuses have been exhausted, and it's become more and more obvious that we're outcoached down the stretch in any game that we manage to keep close.

Here is his record since arriving in 2000:
2000 3-8
2001 8-3
2002 3-9
2003 4-8
2004 4-7
2005 4-7
2006 4-7
2007 1-10 if we're lucky

The offensive scheme is atrocious, and while the defense has been overachieving of late (believe it or not), it's tough to keep morale up when you're on the field the vast majority of every game.

Stowers has become ultaconservative, as evidenced by the fact that he no longer even takes shots at the endzone when we are in the red zone. We run three dives to center on the hash marks and settle for the FG attempt. We played well enough against to beat Fordham and Army, but suspect playcalling and/or "illegal substitutions" cost us greatly.

Before anyone jumps down my throat with "there's a reason he's the coach and you're not," how many coaches reguarly run the ball on 3rd and long? As a fan of your school, is that acceptable to you?

There are young, up and coming coaches that could recruit kids to play for a school where the dorms are made of cardboard boxes. That's not to say that any of them would come coach at Rhody, but it's an excellent academic institution on a beautiful, rural campus, within a 10 minute drive of some of the nicest beaches on the East Coast. The West stands in Meade Stadium are brand new and attached to a spectacular basketball arena. The East stands are another story, but the point is I'm sick and tired of blaming our facilites for the fact that we cannot compete. Granted we play in one of the toughest conference on this level, but enough is enough.

Coaches get paid to win, and when they don't win, they get fired and replaced. He's a very likeable man, but Stowers record here speaks for itself.

I haven't been there in a few years, but the last time I was at UNH, their facilities were far inferior to ours. Last year when they visited Rhody, they killed us 63-21. I was already tired of hearing it by then, but from that point forward, I REFUSED to accept the "facilites" argument.

I'm not asking to win the CAA every year -- I'm realistic. If we finished .500 on a regular basis with 7 - 9 win seasons scattered in once in a while, I'd be content with that.

With 2 winning seasons from 1986 - 2007, something needs to change. Since funding and administrative support are not likely to drastically increase in the forseeable future, there is only one other logical variable to adjust.

Brad, are you certain that Darren Rizzi would be our head coach? If so, I'm all for it.

Cobblestone
September 23rd, 2007, 06:11 PM
Chip Kelley-OC Oregon
Dave Clawson-HC-Richmond
Tom Massella-HC Fordham
Dan Mullen-OC Florida
Ryan Day-WR coach-BC

If Cochran is a friend of yours then you have my sympathies. Darren Rizzi would be an excellent choice. Personally I would add Marty Fine (D-II Bryant) to your list.

Cobblestone
September 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM

Well, you posted didn't you? URI is currently improving its facilities Such as a student Athletic Development Center, new stands at Meade and has a brand new weight room. Sorry but Stowers is out of excuses. Yes, he has a national title to his credit but he has had one (count it) ONE winning season in his time here at URI. From the looks of it, I don't think this is a winning season either. Sorry but Tim is out of time and chances. Our new A.D. is a football guy and I doubt Stowers will stay after this season.

Cobblestone
September 23rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
I know for a fact that URI only uses 57 schollys, that leaves 8 they do not use. they should move to the NEC, they can't hang in the CAA.

Agree.

mainejeff
September 23rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
If I've heard the facilities excuse once, I've heard it 1,000,000 times over the past 6 or 7 years as to why we are so bad in football. It seems like this is the first year that boosters and alums are actually holding Stowers accountable for the debacle known as URI Football. All other excuses have been exhausted, and it's become more and more obvious that we're outcoached down the stretch in any game that we manage to keep close.

Here is his record since arriving in 2000:
2000 3-8
2001 8-3
2002 3-9
2003 4-8
2004 4-7
2005 4-7
2006 4-7
2007 1-10 if we're lucky

The offensive scheme is atrocious, and while the defense has been overachieving of late (believe it or not), it's tough to keep morale up when you're on the field the vast majority of every game.

Stowers has become ultaconservative, as evidenced by the fact that he no longer even takes shots at the endzone when we are in the red zone. We run three dives to center on the hash marks and settle for the FG attempt. We played well enough against to beat Fordham and Army, but suspect playcalling and/or "illegal substitutions" cost us greatly.

Before anyone jumps down my throat with "there's a reason he's the coach and you're not," how many coaches reguarly run the ball on 3rd and long? As a fan of your school, is that acceptable to you?

There are young, up and coming coaches that could recruit kids to play for a school where the dorms are made of cardboard boxes. That's not to say that any of them would come coach at Rhody, but it's an excellent academic institution on a beautiful, rural campus, within a 10 minute drive of some of the nicest beaches on the East Coast. The West stands in Meade Stadium are brand new and attached to a spectacular basketball arena. The East stands are another story, but the point is I'm sick and tired of blaming our facilites for the fact that we cannot compete. Granted we play in one of the toughest conference on this level, but enough is enough.

Coaches get paid to win, and when they don't win, they get fired and replaced. He's a very likeable man, but Stowers record here speaks for itself.

I haven't been there in a few years, but the last time I was at UNH, their facilities were far inferior to ours. Last year when they visited Rhody, they killed us 63-21. I was already tired of hearing it by then, but from that point forward, I REFUSED to accept the "facilites" argument.

I'm not asking to win the CAA every year -- I'm realistic. If we finished .500 on a regular basis with 7 - 9 win seasons scattered in once in a while, I'd be content with that.

With 2 winning seasons from 1986 - 2007, something needs to change. Since funding and administrative support are not likely to drastically increase in the forseeable future, there is only one other logical variable to adjust.

Brad, are you certain that Darren Rizzi would be our head coach? If so, I'm all for it.

My god.....this sounds exactly like the Cosgrove/Maine situation.....only Maine has a better stadium.

Cosgrove's record in his 15th season is 77-86 which is a 47.2 winning %. But the main problem I have is his record since Maine last went to the playoffs in 2002.....

2003 - 7-5
2004 - 5-6
2005 - 5-6
2006 - 6-5
2007 - 1-3

And in each of those years Maine played a I-A and a powder puff......so those losses and wins balance out. And beyond the 24-26 record to date......it is the manner in which some of those games were lost......the lack of discipline, the play calling, they brain farts, and the general disregard for a kicking game has been inexcusable.

Right now it's like URI and Maine are in a race to see who can bury their football program first......:(

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2007, 09:17 PM
The offensive scheme is atrocious, .

Isn't it basically the offensive scheme that got Georgia Southern six national championships? What has Georgia Southern done since it ditched it?

I'm also wondering if it isn't the basic offensive scheme Wofford just used in beating App State. Don't know, because I haven't seen Wofford play on TV since 2003. But I'm wondering.

Ram Ball
September 23rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
I believe we run the triple option spread (1 "A" Back, 2 "B" Backs, 1 "X" Receiver, 1 "Z" Receiver, 0 TE). I'm not sure if there are differences between what we run and what other schools do, but it has become very predictable. Since we don't mix in enough passes, opposing defenses seem to play one less in the secondary and have an MLB or equivalent just shadow the QB. When we play UMass, for example, they are in the backfield and shutting down the play before it even develops. Maybe this offense is successful elsewhere, but it has run it's course at Rhody. It's tough to say whether its the offense itself, the coaching staff, or the athletes they are recruiting to run it, but it's just not working anymore.

Brad82
September 24th, 2007, 05:50 AM
I am told by very reliable source,Rizzi is interested.
I don't know Cochran,put him on list for kicks. A wild-man.
Stowers gets about $170k per year.
So,I guess hot coach would cost around $200k?

blueballs
September 24th, 2007, 08:43 AM

...and GSU's next hire was Paul Johnson.

I'd say that worked out pretty well, although the way it was handled was horses--t and IMO Baker got lucky- kinda like the situation that brought Chris Hatcher to GSU but 10 years earlier.

Stowers needed to be canned at GSU, the program had become stagnant and our attendance and fundraising was going in reverse. New blood was needed.

Cobblestone
September 24th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I believe we run the triple option spread (1 "A" Back, 2 "B" Backs, 1 "X" Receiver, 1 "Z" Receiver, 0 TE). I'm not sure if there are differences between what we run and what other schools do, but it has become very predictable. Since we don't mix in enough passes, opposing defenses seem to play one less in the secondary and have an MLB or equivalent just shadow the QB. When we play UMass, for example, they are in the backfield and shutting down the play before it even develops. Maybe this offense is successful elsewhere, but it has run it's course at Rhody. It's tough to say whether its the offense itself, the coaching staff, or the athletes they are recruiting to run it, but it's just not working anymore.

Well said. xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
September 24th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I am told by very reliable source,Rizzi is interested.
I don't know Cochran,put him on list for kicks. A wild-man.
Stowers gets about $170k per year.
So,I guess hot coach would cost around $200k?

That'd be great. I say we bring him in right after this season.

Ram Ball
September 24th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Is he available beginning this upcoming Saturday?

Brad82
September 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I have been told twice Rhody has full max. of 63 schollies.
Will ask AD again soon.

Brad82
September 24th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Mark Whipple needs to be added to candidate list.

BDKJMU
September 24th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Ram Ball, it looks to be the same or similar offense that VMI runs. Last season JMU had no trouble with VMI. URI did give JMU fits with that offense in that 35-23 loss, but JMU definitely didn't bring their "A" game and URI seemed to have brought theirs- I was at the game. I remember JMU's coach Matthews saying it can be a hard offense to stop IF they don't turn the ball over, but also that offense is high risk and turns the ball over a lot (think only turnover against JMU last year was the fumble returned for a TD in the 4th). Isn't that the same or similar type of offense that the service academies (Army, Navy, Air Force) run? Doesn't the Citadel run something similar? I always thought it was used by the military schools since it can be effective with undersized lineman. I know the scheme can be successfull over the course of a season. Maybe URI needs to do a little better job coaching or recruiting, etc as has been pointed out.

I know URI has better personnel than VMI (JMU was up 42-3 early 4th- won 45-17 (VMI did return a kickoff for TD in the 4th). I'm pencilling the the URI game in as a likely win for JMU, but certainly no gimme. I still believe anybody can beat anybody in the CAA if the lesser team brings their "A" game and the top ranked teams bring their "B" or "C" games. As a matter of fact, in 05' URI at home knocked off a highly ranked W&M team in the 3rd week 49-28. W&M then went on to win 4 straight, including pounding #1 at the time UNH 42-10. How does W&M give up 49 to URI but only 10 to #1 Santos & Ball led UNH? On any given Saturday anyone can beat anyone as far as the CAA goes. The gap between top and bottom is there, but isn't THAT big, and sometimes can be closed (or exacerbated) due to injuries. (W&M finished by losing their last 4, finishing 6-5, and missing the playoffs). xcoffeex

http://www.tribeathletics.com/sport_events.php/5/20050901000000/20051230000000/

Brad82
September 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM
The problem is the play-calling.
Forget scheme.

Ram Ball
September 24th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Is Whipple still an Asst. with the Steelers?

Brad82
September 24th, 2007, 08:13 PM
No,on the street.
He wanted Rhody job when he was @ New Haven.
They,of course gave it to Floyd Keith.

Sam Adams
September 24th, 2007, 08:32 PM
It would be great if Rhode Island was a stronger program. I thought Stowers was a good choice but thus far the results haven't been there. Whipple should definately be on the list, I wonder if he'd take a job at Rhody absent a major commitment from the AD that the program would be given the resources needed to compete.

Go...gate
September 24th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Is it the coach or the underfunding of the program, as some have claimed?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 24th, 2007, 10:05 PM
It would be great if Rhode Island was a stronger program. I thought Stowers was a good choice but thus far the results haven't been there. Whipple should definately be on the list, I wonder if he'd take a job at Rhody absent a major commitment from the AD that the program would be given the resources needed to compete.

The modern CAA/A10 isn't the Socon from the early and mid 90s. That's for sure. In those days, it was Marshall, and a bunch of wannabes.

Brad82
September 25th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Go Gate,full allotment of scholarships,new west stands,new weight. room. New capital progam for syn. turf,lights and east stands. Plenty of support. People are tired of losing/poor coaching=lack of support.

Seawolf97
September 25th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Go Gate,full allotment of scholarships,new west stands,new weight. room. New capital progam for syn. turf,lights and east stands. Plenty of support. People are tired of losing/poor coaching=lack of support.

You are not alone. I think Georgetown is facing the same the uphill battle from their administration. I dont understand how schools can field teams and then not show any support to make them as good as they can possibly be.xsmhx xsmhx

Kymermosst
September 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I think I'd be afraid to see Whip at URI.

If you hook him up with Thorr again, I really think URI could have a top program, all facilities aside, within 2-3 years.

That would suddenly make UMass/URI games a LOT more interesting, with all the history there.

Cobblestone
September 26th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Mark Whipple needs to be added to candidate list.

Now you're dreaming. Like you said, we blew our chance to get Whipple when we passed him over to hire Floyd Keith xsmhx . Since then Whipple has gone on to bigger and better things and probably wouldn't even give URI a sniff. In fact he nearly landed the BC job last year.

MR. CHICKEN
September 26th, 2007, 10:31 AM
NEEDS TA GET...MO' FLORIDA/GEORGIA LADS INTA DUH TRIPLE-O MIX...(CURRENTLY 7 ON ROSTER)....BUT HOW DUH YA GET'EM....OFFAH....DUH FARM/STREETS/PLAYGROUNDS.......GIVE UP DEM PALM TREES/PECANS......COME TA RHODE ISLAND...WHERE DUH GIRLIES......TALK LIKE DERE MOUFF'S ARE STUFFED WHIFF COTTON......STAAAAT DAH CAAAAH!...........SOLVE DIS EQUATION......AN' STOWERS COULD BE PLAYIN'........FO' CHATTANOOGAH BLING.......AWK/[email protected]

Brad82
September 26th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Cobblestone-it is a wish list. Need to think big.
I bet you (and most) would have said the same thing before they hired Jim Harrick. Give me some names that you think would do a good job and let's get them on the list.

wapiti
September 26th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Chip Kelley-OC Oregon
Dave Clawson-HC-Richmond
Tom Massella-HC Fordham
Dan Mullen-OC Florida
Ryan Day-WR coach-BC

Mike Kramer may still be looking for work. (x Bobcat coach)

Go...gate
September 26th, 2007, 04:33 PM
NEEDS TA GET...MO' FLORIDA/GEORGIA LADS INTA DUH TRIPLE-O MIX[/B]...(CURRENTLY 7 ON ROSTER)....BUT HOW DUH YA GET'EM....OFFAH....DUH FARM/STREETS/PLAYGROUNDS.......GIVE UP DEM PALM TREES/PECANS......COME TA RHODE ISLAND...WHERE DUH GIRLIES......TALK LIKE DERE MOUFF'S ARE STUFFED WHIFF COTTON......STAAAAT DAH CAAAAH!...........SOLVE DIS EQUATION......AN' STOWERS COULD BE PLAYIN'........FO' CHATTANOOGAH BLING.......AWK/[email protected]

Right. Feed a little speed into the Wishbone (or its various iterations) and touchdowns begin to multiply.

MR. CHICKEN
September 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM
EGG-ZAKLY.....................BRAWK/OMAR@15TDS&CLIMBIN'.AWK!

Brad82
September 26th, 2007, 06:02 PM
hmmm. Where was he (Mike Kramer) coach-MSU? What was his record?

Seawolf97
September 26th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Chip Kelley-OC Oregon
Dave Clawson-HC-Richmond
Tom Massella-HC Fordham
Dan Mullen-OC Florida
Ryan Day-WR coach-BC

Scratch Stonybrook from that list. We are lucky and happy the way things are.xnodx

walliver
September 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Isn't it basically the offensive scheme that got Georgia Southern six national championships? What has Georgia Southern done since it ditched it?

I'm also wondering if it isn't the basic offensive scheme Wofford just used in beating App State. Don't know, because I haven't seen Wofford play on TV since 2003. But I'm wondering.

The triple option is still an effective offensive approach, but, like every other offense in modern football, it has to adapt to changes in defense. Georgia Southern abandoned the option because they hired an idiot. You can't run the same exact plays that were run in the early 90's, but, if a few modifications are made it is still quite effective (scoring 42 points against Appalachian State should be an example). A key to the offense, however, is being unpredictable. Once the offense becomes predictable, it can be easy to defend unless you are able to physically overpower your opponent (like the old GSU teams used to do.)

SoCon48
September 26th, 2007, 09:43 PM
xmadx

Losing seasons = fired.

How long has he been in the head coaching position there?

Cobblestone
September 26th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Cobblestone-it is a wish list. Need to think big.
I bet you (and most) would have said the same thing before they hired Jim Harrick. Give me some names that you think would do a good job and let's get them on the list.

1. Darren Rizzi. <<-- Special Teams coach Rutgers.

2. Marty Fine <<-- HC @ D-II Bryant.

3. Larry Kehres <<-- HC@ D-III MT. Union.

4. Don Montgomery <<-- HC @ D-III Emory & Henry College, former DC at Mt. Union.

5. Mike Kelleher <<-- DC @ Brown.

None of these names jump off the screen Brad but I think I have presented some logical choices as these guys are either assistants at the FCS or FBS level or head coaches at the D-II or D-III levels. These coaches would most likely grab the first head coaching job offered to them at a higher level or in Rizzi's case a chance to be the HC at his alma-mater.

Cobblestone
September 26th, 2007, 10:04 PM
How long has he been in the head coaching position there?

7 years.

Brad82
September 27th, 2007, 06:46 AM
looks great.

Ram Ball
September 27th, 2007, 06:47 PM
A key to the offense, however, is being unpredictable

We run 3 plays:
1. Dive to Casey up the middle
2. Pitch to Hughes
3. Play action fake of the previous 2 plays resulting in a near decapitation of the QB before the play even develops.

On another note, URI has been horrendous at maintaining relationships with its student athletes once their playing days are over. Hiring Rizzi would be a huge step, and statement, that we are making an effort to take care of our own...

Peems
September 27th, 2007, 07:43 PM
hmmm. Where was he (Mike Kramer) coach-MSU? What was his record?

He was the coach at MSU. I believe his record was 43-44(Bobcat fans correct me:o). He was a much better coach than his record indicates he took a struggling(and I mean struggling) Bobcat program and made it competitive. He had one season when he went 0-11 and that was his first season(i believe) he turned things around and definitely deserves a chance somewhere else.

Brad82
September 28th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Jack Bicknell Jr.-asst. coach BC

Brad82
September 30th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I would take Kelleher's name off the list after yesterday.
He has a good resume,but after Brown's defense showing,I don't think he will be a candidate.

Ram Ball
September 30th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I still can't believe Brown took a knee twice with a minute to go in a tied game. If I'm not mistaken, they also had three timeouts remaining, but maybe it was two. Either way, I bet they wish they could have that decision back.

obram
October 1st, 2007, 08:11 AM
Rhode Island football is not on shaky ground. URI is now planning to build a Student Athlete Development Center with Study area, weights, and training facilities. I think the Administrations wants to fix over Meade stadium and make if more multi use for woman's field hockey and football and install field turf. It just takes a long time in an environment where the state support drops each year. If anythink, I think the Administrations realizes the importance of football to bring alumni to the campus in the Fall, I think it took them a while to find that out.

Brad82
October 1st, 2007, 08:35 AM
obram-you are absolutely correct!!

Cobblestone
October 1st, 2007, 08:37 AM
Jack Bicknell Jr.-asst. coach BC

Good choice.

Speaking of BC assistant coaches, I realize this is a long shot but you said to think BIG, Brad, how about adding Frank Spaziani to the list?

Cobblestone
October 1st, 2007, 08:42 AM
Rhode Island football is not on shaky ground. URI is now planning to build a Student Athlete Development Center with Study area, weights, and training facilities. I think the Administrations wants to fix over Meade stadium and make if more multi use for woman's field hockey and football and install field turf. It just takes a long time in an environment where the state support drops each year. If anythink, I think the Administrations realizes the importance of football to bring alumni to the campus in the Fall, I think it took them a while to find that out.

OBRAM, if you are the same OBRAM that used to post on the projo.com bulletin board, I welcome you to this one. I used to post to that board but the level of idiocy and ignorance drove me away and here to AGS. You should tell that idiot Rhode Island Red about this board, let him come on AGS with his idiotic rants about I-AA football which he's too stupid to realize is now called FCS football. He also needs to get over the fact that a URI football player stole his college girlfriend. xlolx

Again, welcome aboard OBRAM.

dgreco
October 1st, 2007, 09:02 AM
if bryant doesn't make that DI move... Do they go after HC Marty Fine? I could see this being a possibility, as much as he loves Bryant we all know a few coaches at bryant want that DI move or they will be out.

Cobblestone
October 1st, 2007, 10:47 AM
if bryant doesn't make that DI move... Do they go after HC Marty Fine? I could see this being a possibility, as much as he loves Bryant we all know a few coaches at bryant want that DI move or they will be out.

I wouldn't mind having Fine. However, I think Bryant will make the move to FCS and Fine will stay put.