PDA

View Full Version : Bryant to Big South?

aceinthehole
February 16th, 2022, 12:16 PM
As many may have read, there is very strong speculation that Bryant will leave the NEC for America East, in essence to replace Hartford. According to some sources, it is nearly a "done deal."

What does the Big South football look like for 2022?

Any rumors on Bryant replacing Monmouth for next year?

Mocs123
February 16th, 2022, 02:01 PM
I think it's

Campbell
CSU
Gardner Webb
Hampton
NC A&T
Robert Morris

I'm sure the Big South could use another team. Bryant seems WAY out of their footprint, but so did Monmouth and Robert Morris.

iBOsbu
February 16th, 2022, 02:08 PM
Hampton will be in CAA along with Monmouth. Big South will have 5 members?

aceinthehole
February 16th, 2022, 02:31 PM
2022 Big South Football
1. Campbell
2. Charleston Southern
3. Gardner-Webb
4. North Carolina A&T
5. Robert Morris (Horizon)

+ Bryant

Adding Bryant would allow the Big South to keep the AQ, but that's just 5-game conference schedule and awful travel for everyone.

----

If only Bryant were to leave, the 2022 NEC would have 7 members:

1. Central Connecticut
2. Duquesne (A-10)
3. Long Island
4. Merrimack
5. Sacred Heart
6. Saint Francis
7. Wagner

NY Crusader 2010
February 17th, 2022, 04:03 AM
New Haven to the NEC going from rumor to definite in short order?

At this point, if your NCA&T, do you consider going back to the MEAC?

Mocs123
February 17th, 2022, 05:48 AM
The OVC and the A-Sun are also desperate for football playing members. I think we've got one too many FCS conferences currently.

DFW HOYA
February 17th, 2022, 07:34 AM
At this point, if your NCA&T, do you consider going back to the MEAC?

That ship has sailed; in fact, schools like NC Central and Norfolk State might be on the Big South's short list.

UNHWildcat18
February 17th, 2022, 08:10 AM
Wonder if the NEC will allow associates again if more than one school leaves for the AE/MAAC

mainejeff
February 17th, 2022, 08:48 AM
Wonder if the NEC will allow associates again if more than one school leaves for the AE/MAAC

You would think so as Central Connecticut and Long Island U are also possibilities on the America East expansion list. This stuff might not be announced until July 1.....I would hope that things would be worked out behind the scenes sooner than that. The smart move for the NEC would be to allow associate memberships in football....and keep football under their umbrella.

WestCoastAggie
February 17th, 2022, 08:54 AM
That ship has sailed; in fact, schools like NC Central and Norfolk State might be on the Big South's short list.

Not with the celebration bowl still in existence.

DFW HOYA
February 17th, 2022, 09:02 AM

At some point the Celebration Bowl moves to an at-large seeding of the two best HBCU teams. It needn't go away if the MEAC continues to wither.

ElCid
February 17th, 2022, 10:32 AM
The OVC and the A-Sun are also desperate for football playing members. I think we've got one too many FCS conferences currently.

Ya think? Everybody in these flailing conferences are scrambling to try and maintain some stability or grow into something more and schools are making rash decisions or at least decisions for short term positioning rather than long term stability.

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2022, 11:40 AM
You would think so as Central Connecticut and Long Island U are also possibilities on the America East expansion list. This stuff might not be announced until July 1.....I would hope that things would be worked out behind the scenes sooner than that. The smart move for the NEC would be to allow associate memberships in football....and keep football under their umbrella.

Not necessarily. However, if the NEC could hold onto enough "core" members to keep the basketball AQ, then associate FB status for Bryant & CCSU might be an option.

However, with 10 members in the NEC today, if Bryant and CCSU left for the AE and Wagner and Mt. St. Mary's left for the MAAC, the league would have just 6 core members (and just 4 that sponsor football). I'm not sure the NEC could afford to lose 3 football schools. If only Bryant bolts - they will very likely have to find a new league for football just like Monmouth and RMU.

NEC football is more stable than the Big South football, but the NEC has fewer options (New Haven) to replace departing members on the basketball side. 8 of 10 NEC members (80%) sponsor football; but just 4 of 10 (40%) of Big South members will sponsor football in 2022-23.

The Big South has a football problem, but the NEC could have a basketball program if they are picked off by the MAAC/AE.

OhioHen
February 17th, 2022, 12:12 PM
The Celebration Bowl didn't keep A&T or Hampton from leaving.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 17th, 2022, 12:24 PM
Wouldn't Bryant be a better football fit in the Patriot League than the Big South, in every possible way? Bryant would be the elusive Holy Cross New England football travel partner the league has been looking for for years.

I also haven't seen anything more recent than 2012 that Bryant was even in consideration for AE. Link to the source?

NY Crusader 2010
February 17th, 2022, 12:40 PM

And maybe Merrimack too?

mainejeff
February 17th, 2022, 12:50 PM
And maybe Merrimack too?

Probably not.

The rumored wish list for 2 or 4 spots:

Quinnipiac
Fairfield
Bryant
Central Connecticut
Long Island U.

Also rumored that one school has committed to joining the league....and most are guessing that it is Bryant.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 17th, 2022, 12:53 PM
Probably not.

The rumored wish list for 2 or 4 spots:

Quinnipiac
Fairfield
Bryant
Central Connecticut
Long Island U.

Also rumored that one school has committed to joining the league....and most are guessing that it is Bryant.

Why not Quinnipiac? Aren't they a better match?

mainejeff
February 17th, 2022, 12:57 PM
Why not Quinnipiac? Aren't they a better match?

Supposedly negotiations and/or discussions on-going. I think that Quinnipiac and Fairfield are 1A & 1B.....Bryant #3....and CCSU/LIU #4.

KnightoftheRedFlash
February 17th, 2022, 01:19 PM
Not necessarily. However, if the NEC could hold onto enough "core" members to keep the basketball AQ, then associate FB status for Bryant & CCSU might be an option.

However, with 10 members in the NEC today, if Bryant and CCSU left for the AE and Wagner and Mt. St. Mary's left for the MAAC, the league would have just 6 core members (and just 4 that sponsor football). I'm not sure the NEC could afford to lose 3 football schools. If only Bryant bolts - they will very likely have to find a new league for football just like Monmouth and RMU.

NEC football is more stable than the Big South football, but the NEC has fewer options (New Haven) to replace departing members on the basketball side. 8 of 10 NEC members (80%) sponsor football; but just 4 of 10 (40%) of Big South members will sponsor football in 2022-23.

The Big South has a football problem, but the NEC could have a basketball program if they are picked off by the MAAC/AE.

The NEC has a basketball problem regardless of the number of the members.

New Haven means another grinding road trip to New England. Joy to the world.

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2022, 01:32 PM
If it took Boston U. a decade to get into the Patriot, why does any PL fan think Bryant would even be considered? Bryant does nothing for the Patriot League academics, which always trumps athletics.

By all informed accounts, Bryant is a top choice for both the MAAC and America East. At this point, it sounds like Bryant is unconfirmed, but committed to joining the AE. I would expect an announcement in the 60 days, or this "deal" fell through. This would be an upgraded replacement for Hartford.

Quinnipiac is probably the AE #1 choice, but they weren't extended an offer back in 2012. I think there is a bit of regret of that decision and they are pressing hard to bring them onboard this round. I'm less confident that they pay the $1M MAAC exit fee to join the AE for next season, but it is a possibility. The thought is Fairfield would follow based on the departures of Monmouth and QU. Again, this is possible scenario, but I'm not 100% sold that these private schools see any strategic advantage in joining a league with 8 public schools in the Northeast.

Central Connecticut remains an option of last resort. The stigma of a comprehensive public university, instead of a flagship or research-focused universities in the AE, seems to be a difficult barrier to overcome.

Long Island is the largest NEC school and has a broad based athletic program that would fit the AE profile. This would get the league back into LI/NYC after the departure of Stony Brook.

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2022, 01:36 PM
The NEC has a basketball problem regardless of the number of the members.

New Haven means another grinding road trip to New England. Joy to the world.

I hear you, but the problem for SFU is geography. Saint Francis has a quality athletic program, but the MAAC isn't looking in your direction without a travel partner (RMU).

I don't want New Haven either, but all the possible D-II options are coming from the NE-10 and not the PSAC.

SFU is too isolated for any NEC expansion to help them.

DFW HOYA
February 17th, 2022, 03:48 PM
If it took Boston U. a decade to get into the Patriot, why does any PL fan think Bryant would even be considered? Bryant does nothing for the Patriot League academics, which always trumps athletics.

Loyola accept rate: 80%
Bryant accept rate: 75%

Loyola SAT range: 1100-1260
Bryant SAT range: 1050-1220

WestCoastAggie
February 17th, 2022, 04:43 PM
Oh, this is happening.

Professor
February 17th, 2022, 06:51 PM
Yep welcome Bryant to the Big South

OhioHen
February 17th, 2022, 08:09 PM
Yep welcome Bryant to the Big South
Just in time for this?

https://twitter.com/HBCUGameday/status/1494439784558780421

WileECoyote06
February 17th, 2022, 08:27 PM

Why would we get on that sinking ship?

We were four points from the Celebration Bowl, 3/4 of a million dollars, and quadrupling our admissions applications. Unless the wheels fall completely off, . .. .we'll pass.

Mocs123
February 22nd, 2022, 01:57 PM
Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about Bryant or the NEC, but why would Bryant leave the NEC, which seems to make geographical sense for them for the dumpster fire that is the Big South?

aceinthehole
February 22nd, 2022, 02:05 PM
Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about Bryant or the NEC, but why would Bryant leave the NEC, which seems to make geographical sense for them for the dumpster fire that is the Big South?

If they leave the NEC, it is because of other sports - basketball, lacrosse, and baseball. America East is a stronger conference in those sports and would be an upgrade over the NEC.

Fact is their football team would absolutely be better off in the NEC than anywhere else, but that won't be an option if they resign their NEC membership. It is simply a consequence of an institutional decision to join another league.

Mocs123
February 22nd, 2022, 02:22 PM
If they leave the NEC, it is because of other sports - basketball, lacrosse, and baseball. America East is a stronger conference in those sports and would be an upgrade over the NEC.

Fact is their football team would absolutely be better off in the NEC than anywhere else, but that won't be an option if they resign their NEC membership. It is simply a consequence of an institutional decision to join another league.

OK, so they're likely leaving for other sports and needed a new home for football.

aceinthehole
February 22nd, 2022, 02:39 PM
OK, so they're likely leaving for other sports and needed a new home for football.

Yes.

mvfcfan
February 22nd, 2022, 07:17 PM
Now that the OVC and Big South announced the merger I don't want this to happen unless Bryant is willing to pay every penny for everyone's travel to Rhode Island. I had no idea where Bryant even was (my guess was PA) or who was in the AEC and NEC conferences before 5 minutes ago. I guess the AEC is a step up in basketball because of Vermont.

I admit I know almost nothing about the low majors in the northeast, but I feel like Central Connecticut is a more natural fit for the AEC than Bryant. Every school will be a public once Hartford is gone, and CCSU would be the perfect replacement considering their location. Just my two cents.

NY Crusader 2010
February 22nd, 2022, 07:26 PM

Same thing that Monmouth went through in 2013 when they moved all other sports out of the NEC and into the MAAC. NEC kicked them out for football which is why they ended up in the Big South.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 29th, 2022, 05:04 PM
https://twitter.com/AmericaEast/status/1508926981533933569

Lehigh Football Nation
March 29th, 2022, 05:09 PM
and...

https://twitter.com/BigSouthSports/status/1508928271269998595

aceinthehole
March 29th, 2022, 07:13 PM
Well I guess that NEC schedule has to be updated. This season Bryant will get just 5 Big South games (Campbell, Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb, NC A&T, and RMU) vs. the 7 scheduled NEC games, so they will have to find 2 extra non-conference games.

Sep. 24 - Bryant at LIU
Oct. 1 - Duquesne at Bryant
Oct. 15 - Bryant at Sacred Heart
Oct. 22 - Bryant at Saint Francis
Oct. 29 - Merrimack at Bryant
Nov. 5 - Wagner at Bryant
Nov. 19 - CCSU at Bryant

Go...gate
March 30th, 2022, 01:01 AM
Just bringing myself up to date: LIU-Post and Merrimack are now full NEC members?

aceinthehole
March 30th, 2022, 06:32 AM
Just bringing myself up to date: LIU-Post and Merrimack are now full NEC members?

Yep. Merrimack is still technically transitioning from D2 and is "core member" of the NEC. 2023-24 is the first season as a full fledged D-I member.

LIU merged their athletic programs (D-I Brooklyn and D-II Post). This basically had the effect of adding new sports, such as football, to the existing D-I program that was in the NEC.

Anthony215
March 30th, 2022, 07:12 AM
Is the NEC getting a exit fee + penalty fee from Bryant for such an abrupt exit from them leaving holes in the NEC school schedules? Bryant had 4 non league games against FIU (Money Game), Rhode Island, Holy Cross & Brown already lined up with only 1 of them being a home game, then you include the Big South games (Charleston Southern, NC A&T, Campbell, G-Webb, RMU) gives them 9 regular season games and the need to add 2 more games which may have to be D2 games at this point as most FBS/FCS teams have their schedule full. Seeing as though they're new to the conference they'll probably only get 2 home conference games so in total they'll more than likely play 3 home and 8 road games. BRUTAL..

Anthony215
March 30th, 2022, 07:13 AM
I guess the NEC will be active in recruiting New Haven or maybe S. Connecticut to move up although if they had their options and PA state D2 schools weren't handicapped and run by the state they'd surely take IUP or West Chester over those schools.

OhioHen
March 30th, 2022, 07:19 AM
Well I guess that NEC schedule has to be updated. This season Bryant will get just 5 Big South games (Campbell, Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb, NC A&T, and RMU) vs. the 7 scheduled NEC games, so they will have to find 2 extra non-conference games.

Sep. 24 - Bryant at LIU
Nov. 19 - CCSU at Bryant
Might explain why we haven't seen Big South schedules yet. With Bryant leaving effective this summer, the remaining NEC schools would all need to find an extra OOC to fill vacancies created by removing Bryant.

aceinthehole
March 30th, 2022, 07:26 AM
Might explain why we haven't seen Big South schedules yet. With Bryant leaving effective this summer, the remaining NEC schools would all need to find an extra OOC to fill vacancies created by removing Bryant.

Yep and that is much tougher in football than other sports.

There is the possibility that Bryant is able to convert 2 of these NEC opponents into non-conference games, but at least 5 NEC teams will be scrambling for another opponent.

I just don't see how these schools find games this late, especially when most FCS schools have completed their schedule by now.

MR. CHICKEN
March 30th, 2022, 08:27 AM
Yep and that is much tougher in football than other sports.

There is the possibility that Bryant is able to convert 2 of these NEC opponents into non-conference games, but at least 5 NEC teams will be scrambling for another opponent.

I just don't see how these schools find games this late, especially when most FCS schools have completed their schedule by now.

....SOUFF-LAND...WAS PLAYIN' EACH OTHERAH TWICE LAST SEASON...........AWK!

kdinva
March 30th, 2022, 10:13 AM
too much of these teams changing conferences (FBS too) so close to the next season's schedule.

Sep. 24 - Bryant at LIU
Nov. 19 - CCSU at Bryant

kdinva
March 30th, 2022, 10:18 AM
So, Bryant's only bus-able road game is Robert Morris.....and that is 10 hours.

aceinthehole
March 30th, 2022, 10:34 AM
So, Bryant's only bus-able road game is Robert Morris.....and that is 10 hours.

Exactly. Every Big South road game for Monmouth was a plane trip (before RMU arrived).

This is an expensive proposition for any NEC team, which is why we are unsure if Wagner or others are willing to make the same move.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 30th, 2022, 10:39 AM
Bryant won't be able to look to the Patriot League to bail out their 2022 schedules, because theirs are finalized (though happy for Bryant, Holy Cross plays them in Week 11 already).

Marist might be able to fill one of the voids because I believe their schedule hasn't been finalized.

kdinva
March 30th, 2022, 11:13 AM
Bryant won't be able to look to the Patriot League to bail out their 2022 schedules, because theirs are finalized (though happy for Bryant, Holy Cross plays them in Week 11 already).

Marist might be able to fill one of the voids because I believe their schedule hasn't been finalized.

maybe Va. Univ. of Lynchburg? :(

aceinthehole
March 30th, 2022, 01:26 PM

Sep. 24 - Bryant at LIU
Nov. 19 - CCSU at Bryant

Well that was quick. Big South published 2022 football schedules, here is Bryant's new schedule:

Sep. 24 - (at LIU)
Oct. 1 - (vs. Duquesne)
Oct. 8 - Bryant at NC A&T (Open)
Oct. 15 - Charleston Southern at Bryant (at Sacred Heart)
Oct. 22 - (at Saint Francis)
Oct. 29 - Bryant at Gardner-Webb (vs. Merrimack)
Nov. 5 - Campbell at Bryant (vs. Wagner)
Nov. 12 - (Bryant at Holy Cross)
Nov. 19 - Bryant at Robert Morris (vs. CCSU)

Lehigh Football Nation
March 30th, 2022, 05:58 PM
Marist seems to have an opening October 1st, so they could theoretically put Bryant to 10 games.

https://fbschedules.com/2022-marist-football-schedule/

WestCoastAggie
March 31st, 2022, 11:17 AM
Marist seems to have an opening October 1st, so they could theoretically put Bryant to 10 games.

https://fbschedules.com/2022-marist-football-schedule/

We also have an opening that weekend.

TJT
April 3rd, 2022, 09:51 AM
Nothing screams Big South like Bryant in little rhode island.

UNHWildcat18
April 3rd, 2022, 12:09 PM
Nothing screams Big South like Bryant in little rhode island.
Just wait till another NEC school leaves and adds another football team to the Big South

NY Crusader 2010
April 3rd, 2022, 03:29 PM
If another NEC school with football leaves for the America East, the America East would be at the point where they could actually sponsor football....if UNH, Maine and Albany ever wanted it.

The below would be possible if Merrimack joined AE and would be enough for the AQ:

UNH, Maine, Albany, URI, Bryant, Merrimack

From there you could look to juice up the league by inviting Holy Cross (would the Hockey East members in Hockey East have enough clout to get HC into the conference in exchange for HC bringing all sports to America East?) and offering UMASS a logical football landing spot when their FBS experiment finally crashes and burns. You could look at adding CCSU and/or SHU as well.

aceinthehole
April 3rd, 2022, 03:50 PM
If another NEC school with football leaves for the America East, the America East would be at the point where they could actually sponsor football....if UNH, Maine and Albany ever wanted it.

The below would be possible if Merrimack joined AE and would be enough for the AQ:

From there you could look to juice up the league by inviting Holy Cross (would the Hockey East members in Hockey East have enough clout to get HC into the conference in exchange for HC bringing all sports to America East?) and offering UMASS a logical football landing spot when their FBS experiment finally crashes and burns. You could look at adding CCSU and/or SHU as well.

NEC Football is keeping those programs in place. No one else in the NEC is willing to spend the extra $$$ and travel in the Big South. I doubt that Wagner or SHU would take an offer to the AE or MAAC.

Bryant had a lot of upside in the AE for sports like soccer, hoops, baseball, and lacrosse - but they have added a huge cost to football in an unstable league with a future AQ at risk. However, I don't think any of the other NEC members see the upside in the AE or MAAC worth the risk for football.

aceinthehole
April 3rd, 2022, 03:54 PM

Those 3 AE-CAA Football schools have ZERO desire to start a new football conference with Bryant, Merrimack, CCSU, LIU, Wagner, or RMU.

It is a non starter unless (or until) the CAA decides reorg football without those 3 schools Wich is highly unlikely, as SBU, Monmouth, Delaware, and Towson all see value with Maine, UNH, and Albany.

KPSUL
April 3rd, 2022, 04:43 PM
Bryant seeking membership in the Big South is just bizarre. The scale they use to compare advantage and disadvantage must be completely out of balance.

The CAA is more likely to get out of the football business altogether before it pulls some pointless power play that would drop a bunch of Football only members and weaken the conference significantly.

UNHWildcat18
April 3rd, 2022, 07:19 PM
Bryant seeking membership in the Big South is just bizarre. The scale they use to compare advantage and disadvantage must be completely out of balance.

The CAA is more likely to get out of the football business altogether before it pulls some pointless power play that would drop a bunch of Football only members which would weaken the conference significantly.

agreed CAA football isn’t going anywhere. However if (like some idiot crazy SBU fan suggested) they kicked out the non full members the AE would absolutely start football with UNH Maine UAlbany URI Villanova Bryant as a core 6. Maybe Richmond and Umass(if they had to drop) would bite.

However this isn’t likely to happen. The CAA has no interest in losing any of its members.

NY Crusader 2010
April 3rd, 2022, 07:39 PM
agreed CAA football isn’t going anywhere. However if (like some idiot crazy SBU fan suggested) they kicked out the non full members the AE would absolutely start football with UNH Maine UAlbany URI Villanova Bryant as a core 6. Maybe Richmond and Umass(if they had to drop) would bite.

However this isn’t likely to happen. The CAA has no interest in losing any of its members.

CAA isn't going to kick out the football affiliates. Especially with JMU gone, UNH, Maine and even Albany add strength to the league. If America East football ever happens, it's because those 3 one day find it in their interests to spearhead it. Only difference between now and 10 years ago is that the possibility actually exists. But not going to happen anytime soon.

NY Crusader 2010
April 3rd, 2022, 07:47 PM

The CAA is more likely to get out of the football business altogether before it pulls some pointless power play that would drop a bunch of Football only members which would weaken the conference significantly.

There is precedent for such a move as both Stony Brook and then Monmouth did the same thing. Stony Brook wanted to offer more scholarships than the NEC allowed at the time and went south before parlaying some successful seasons into a CAA football-only invite in 2013. Monmouth had to make the move a couple years later, and replaced Stony Brook, when they decided to leave the NEC for MAAC and had football in limbo.

Only difference with Bryant is that I don't see them getting invited to the CAA anytime soon -- too many affiliates. So unless they receive interest from the Patriot League and they're open to the AI, Bryant's going to bobbing around amongst whatever is left of the Big South/OVC/A-Sun/MEAC assortment of schools in the near future.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 4th, 2022, 08:46 AM

Let's be charitable here and say that UNH and Maine are unlikely to be enthused by this arrangement.

KnightoftheRedFlash
April 4th, 2022, 10:09 AM
Well that was quick. Big South published 2022 football schedules, here is Bryant's new schedule:

Sep. 24 - (at LIU)
Oct. 1 - (vs. Duquesne)

The Red Flash are possibly looking at only two home games this season. I doubt Bryant keeps the game at Loretto now.

- - - Updated - - -

Sep. 24 - (at LIU)
Oct. 1 - (vs. Duquesne)

The Red Flash are possibly looking at only two home games this season. I doubt Bryant keeps the game at Loretto now.

NY Crusader 2010
April 5th, 2022, 08:53 AM
Let's be charitable here and say that UNH and Maine are unlikely to be enthused by this arrangement.

They wouldn't be, at least anytime very soon. Which is why A-East football isn't happening in the near term. But the recent realignment in the Northeast at least makes America East Football trivially possible now.

I think it would be more possible if a) Holy Cross were interested in joining AE in all sports and b) UMASS were to drop down and become a football affiliate

Laker
April 5th, 2022, 09:24 AM
Stonehill College Accepts Invitation to Join Northeast Conference - Northeast Conference (https://northeastconference.org/news/2022/4/4/GEN_Stonehill_Membership_Announcement_22.aspx)

kdinva
April 5th, 2022, 09:33 AM
Stonehill College Accepts Invitation to Join Northeast Conference - Northeast Conference (https://northeastconference.org/news/2022/4/4/GEN_Stonehill_Membership_Announcement_22.aspx)

nice, quaint facilities, FB/track facility (on google maps) seems to seat about 3500

Laker
April 5th, 2022, 09:50 AM
nice, quaint facilities, FB/track facility (on google maps) seems to seat about 3500

I've lost track- how many D2 schools have said that they are moving up so far this year- Lindenwood, Stonehill, Southern Indiana, TAM-Commerce come to mind.

UAalum72
April 5th, 2022, 11:40 AM
They wish. Web site says 16-year-old W B Mason Stadium seats 2,400 for football, lacrosse, field hockey and track. Their gym seats 1,560 for basketball and volleyball. But they seem to have a fair amount of money in the bank so maybe expansion is possible (if necessary)

aceinthehole
April 5th, 2022, 01:18 PM
There is precedent for such a move as both Stony Brook and then Monmouth did the same thing. Stony Brook wanted to offer more scholarships than the NEC allowed at the time and went south before parlaying some successful seasons into a CAA football-only invite in 2013. Monmouth had to make the move a couple years later, and replaced Stony Brook, when they decided to leave the NEC for MAAC and had football in limbo.

Only difference with Bryant is that I don't see them getting invited to the CAA anytime soon -- too many affiliates. So unless they receive interest from the Patriot League and they're open to the AI, Bryant's going to bobbing around amongst whatever is left of the Big South/OVC/A-Sun/MEAC assortment of schools in the near future.

Just to be clear ...

Stony Brook was a NEC Football affiliate and left to join the Big South because they wanted to offer full scholarship football, which was not allowed under NEC guidelines.

Monmouth, Robert Morris, and now Bryant all resigned full membership in the NEC and were not granted associate football membership. All 3 wanted to stay in the NEC as associate under the existing scholarship guidelines, if given the opportunity. However, the NEC regarded these former members a persona non grata and which forced them to find alternative conference affiliations. None of those schools wanted to spend more $$$ on scholarships or travel in the Big South - it was their only real option.

aceinthehole
April 5th, 2022, 01:21 PM
They wish. Web site says 16-year-old W B Mason Stadium seats 2,400 for football, lacrosse, field hockey and track. Their gym seats 1,560 for basketball and volleyball. But they seem to have a fair amount of money in the bank so maybe expansion is possible (if necessary)

Correct. They have a $240M endowment. Word has it that will now build a new facility for their D-I ice hockey and basketball programs.

aceinthehole
April 5th, 2022, 01:27 PM
Also, for 2022 NEC Football scheduling - just plug in Stonehill for Bryant.

Like Merrimack, they will be ineligible for the NEC AQ bid, but will likely count in conference standings/tiebreakers.

DFW HOYA
April 5th, 2022, 03:26 PM
Monmouth, Robert Morris, and now Bryant all resigned full membership in the NEC and were not granted associate football membership. All 3 wanted to stay in the NEC as associate under the existing scholarship guidelines, if given the opportunity. However, the NEC regarded these former members a persona non grata and which forced them to find alternative conference affiliations. None of those schools wanted to spend more $$$ on scholarships or travel in the Big South - it was their only real option.

Because the Patriot League isn't an option to anyone.

aceinthehole
April 5th, 2022, 04:28 PM

Correct. All 3 of those schools would have absolutely committed to any PL restrictions (AI, no redshirts, etc.) for an associate membership in football.

The only reason they are not in the PL for football today is because the Patriot League did not want any of them as an associate member, period.

Of course, Monmouth would have eventually resigned from the PL football for the full CAA members (see Towson), but RMU and Bryant would be happy in the PL forever.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 5th, 2022, 04:39 PM
Correct. All 3 of those schools would have absolutely committed to any PL restrictions (AI, no redshirts, etc.) for an associate membership in football.

The only reason they are not in the PL for football today is because the Patriot League did not want any of them as an associate member, period.

Of course, Monmouth would have eventually resigned from the PL football for the full CAA members (see Towson), but RMU and Bryant would be happy in the PL forever.

RMU might have been a tough fit due to travel (though it wasn't an issue for them in the NEC). However the fact that Bryant didn't get a sniff from the Patriot League in football only is very perplexing. Bryant would have solved a lot of scheduling issues (no more Week 12 byes/OOC games) and guaranteed a trip to the Mass/RI area every year, which would have improved overall Northeast recruiting.

centraljerseycat
April 13th, 2022, 08:17 AM
How about a resurrection of the old Yankee Conference but now it would be called America East Football Conference? UNH, Maine, Albany and Bryant are already there. Just have to recruit URI from the CAA and UConn & UMass from independent hell.

SDFS
April 13th, 2022, 09:06 AM
How about a resurrection of the old Yankee Conference but now it would be called America East Football Conference? UNH, Maine, Albany and Bryant are already there. Just have to recruit URI from the CAA and UConn & UMass from independent hell.

That would be a nice conference.

UAalum72
April 13th, 2022, 10:18 AM
In isolation maybe. But IRL Maine, UNH URI and Albany wouldn’t want to give up games with Del, W&M and Nova.

UNHWildcat18
April 13th, 2022, 10:53 AM
In isolation maybe. But IRL Maine, UNH URI and Albany wouldn’t want to give up games with Del, W&M and Nova.

I still laugh at the SBU poster who said the CAA should kick out all affiliate football members, then the AE would form with UNH UALBANY UMAINE Bryant.
URI would be in before the ink dries on kicking out the CAAFB teams. we'd invite Villanova Richmond and umASS. If we had those 8 teams I'd be pretty happy..... Given the circumstances.

Seriously though, No CAAFB affiliate wants anything to happen to CAAFB.

NY Crusader 2010
April 16th, 2022, 07:03 AM
The Yankee Conference actually never died. The current CAA football conference can directly trace its lineage. The Atlantic 10 Conference took over stewardship of the YanCon starting in 1997. In 2006, it became the CAA.

The final rendition of the Yankee Conference looked like this:

New England Division: Maine, UNH, URI, UCONN, UMASS, Boston U.

Mid-Atlantic Division: Northeastern, William & Mary, Delaware, Villanova, Richmond, JMU

And UNH is absolutely right. The America East now has the horses on paper to be able to start a football conference but until the day that UNH, Maine and Albany decide that spearheading that league would be preferable to their current setup, it won't happen.

NY Crusader 2010
April 16th, 2022, 12:52 PM
RMU might have been a tough fit due to travel (though it wasn't an issue for them in the NEC). However the fact that Bryant didn't get a sniff from the Patriot League in football only is very perplexing. Bryant would have solved a lot of scheduling issues (no more Week 12 byes/OOC games) and guaranteed a trip to the Mass/RI area every year, which would have improved overall Northeast recruiting.

Agreed on Bryant. I think they would've strengthened the league. I always thought a nice year-end "rivalry week" would be great for the PL. And end-of-season byes suck -- now that we've been able to play FBS, we can thank our friends at West Point for providing us with a number of OOC games this particular week recently.

HC-Bryant "Battle for Route 146" or "Blackstone River Rivalry"
Fordham-Georgetown "Ram-Hoya Cup"
Colgate-Bucknell "Is It Basketball Season Yet?"
Lehigh-Lafayette => I think they call it "The Game" or something. Sort of a decent rivalry I've heard.

Go...gate
April 17th, 2022, 12:49 AM

It was an option to Georgetown.....

aceinthehole
April 17th, 2022, 07:53 AM
Agreed on Bryant. I think they would've strengthened the league. I always thought a nice year-end "rivalry week" would be great for the PL. And end-of-season byes suck -- now that we've been able to play FBS, we can thank our friends at West Point for providing us with a number of OOC games this particular week recently.

HC-Bryant "Battle for Route 146" or "Blackstone River Rivalry"
Fordham-Georgetown "Ram-Hoya Cup"
Colgate-Bucknell "Is It Basketball Season Yet?"
Lehigh-Lafayette => I think they call it "The Game" or something. Sort of a decent rivalry I've heard.

For the record, Bryant and LIU are the only eligible NEC team that have not won the AQ and gone to the playoffs

Sacred Heart - 4
CCSU & Duquesne - 2
SFU & Wagner - 1

Lehigh Football Nation
April 27th, 2022, 10:14 AM
The NEC will be down to 9 members in the fall, as Mt. St. Mary's is headed to the MAAC.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33814169/mount-st-mary-set-leave-northeast-conference-join-maac-sources-say

Only 8 are eligible for the hoops title as Stonehill is the 9th team and is transitioning to D-I.

Doesn't technically affect football however the fact that there are only 9 schools in the league speaks to the NEC's overall viability.

WestCoastAggie
April 27th, 2022, 11:07 AM
The NEC will be down to 9 members in the fall, as Mt. St. Mary's is headed to the MAAC.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33814169/mount-st-mary-set-leave-northeast-conference-join-maac-sources-say

Only 8 are eligible for the hoops title as Stonehill is the 9th team and is transitioning to D-I.

Doesn't technically affect football however the fact that there are only 9 schools in the league speaks to the NEC's overall viability.

The NEC has its pick of replacement members that are currently in the MEAC or NE-10. I did also openly wonder on Twitter if any PSAC schools are being pursued.

DFW HOYA
April 27th, 2022, 11:07 AM

Speaking of viability...

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2022/04/27/fdu-basketball-division-i-greg-herenda/9549663002/

aceinthehole
April 27th, 2022, 11:59 AM
Technically, only 7 eligible basketball teams for next season (Merrimack will be in its last transition year; Stonehill in its first)

1. Central Connecticut
2. Fairleigh Dickenson
3. Long Island
4. Sacred Heart
5. Saint Francis U.
6. St. Francis Brooklyn
7. Wagner
---
8. Merrimack
9. Stonehill

The football side of the house remains unchanged for next season.

aceinthehole
April 27th, 2022, 12:03 PM
The NEC has its pick of replacement members that are currently in the MEAC or NE-10. I did also openly wonder on Twitter if any PSAC schools are being pursued.

Only PSAC school rumored at all is Mercyhurst, but not sure of the extent of those rumors.

However, I do have a source that has indicated there has already been contact between the NEC and Morgan State. It is also known that Delaware State has reached out to the NEC in the past.

Anything you are willing to share from the MEAC perspective?

My take is both DSU and MSU are planning their options for 2023-24 if Howard accepts the CAA invite. I don't think the MEAC remains viable without Howard and those 2 schools will seek the NEC invite. I imagine that Norfolk St, NC Central, and SC State will reach out to the Big South and ASUN.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 27th, 2022, 01:24 PM
Speaking of viability...

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2022/04/27/fdu-basketball-division-i-greg-herenda/9549663002/

"“We instituted our current model last April,” Young said. “Our women’s basketball team just won a regular season championship, under this direction. This model mirrors that of the Ivy League which has a great deal of success in men’s and women’s basketball. The only difference is that FDU provides a graduate assistant, while the Ivy allows only for a volunteer assistant coach.”

My sides hurt after reading that, as if FDU's situation has anything in common with Princeton's.

aceinthehole
April 27th, 2022, 03:02 PM
I would be satisfied if the 2023-24 Northeast Conference football lineup looked like this:

1. Central Connecticut
2. Delaware State
3. Long Island
4. Morgan State
5. Merrimack
6. Sacred Heart
7. Saint Francis U.
8. Stonehill
9. Wagner
+ Duquesne

Bill
April 27th, 2022, 05:32 PM
"“We instituted our current model last April,” Young said. “Our women’s basketball team just won a regular season championship, under this direction. This model mirrors that of the Ivy League which has a great deal of success in men’s and women’s basketball. The only difference is that FDU provides a graduate assistant, while the Ivy allows only for a volunteer assistant coach.”

My sides hurt after reading that, as if FDU's situation has anything in common with Princeton's.

Well, to be fair, FDU and Princeton are both in NJ.:D

KnightoftheRedFlash
April 27th, 2022, 06:54 PM
Technically, only 7 eligible basketball teams for next season (Merrimack will be in its last transition year; Stonehill in its first)

1. Central Connecticut
2. Fairleigh Dickenson
3. Long Island
4. Sacred Heart
5. Saint Francis U.
6. St. Francis Brooklyn
7. Wagner
---
8. Merrimack
9. Stonehill

The football side of the house remains unchanged for next season.

And SFU still won't win the title in MBB.

Go...gate
April 29th, 2022, 12:49 AM

Agreed. And McConnell has proven to recruit New Jersey talent pretty well.