PDA

View Full Version : Is this really going to become a problem?

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 18th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Is it going to become more difficult for top FCS to get games with mid-level FBS teams in the future?

This article says UNH is finding it tougher.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070918/SPORTS/709180373/-1/NEWS09&sfad=1

andy7171
September 18th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Seems like a natural result.
Why would an FBS team pay to get humiliated at home?

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Maybe, but UNH is at a clear disadvantage to begin with IMO... regionality is becoming more of a factor... UVA, South Carolina, Clemson... have taken to only playing in-state I-AA's... UNH only has BC, UConn and 'Cuse that could really be considered regional. Even Maryland is really staying close these days... W&M, Villanova, Delaware, Towson...

OxSoxUNH05
September 18th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I guess we have to stop handing it to them

CID1990
September 18th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Seems like a natural result.
Why would an FBS team pay to get humiliated at home?

Maybe they will agree to come get humiliated away, then? Navy did in 1988.

RaiderInTheZone
September 18th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Is it going to become more difficult for top FCS to get games with mid-level FBS teams in the future?

This article says UNH is finding it tougher.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070918/SPORTS/709180373/-1/NEWS09&sfad=1

Yes, without question. The NCAA changed the rules last year allowing Division 1-A schools to schedule ONE 1-AA team every year to count toward bowl eligibility. In the grand scheme of things, Division 1-A teams want a 1-AA team they stand a really great shot at beating or else they are defeating the purpose of getting to bowl eligibility status.

You can say those Division 1-A schools are being chicken, but I think they're just being smart. What do they have to gain from losing to a 1-AA school? They pay a 1-AA school and take a loss too? They become one game out more from bowl eligibility with the loss. From a business standpoint, the 1-A school loses all the way around. That's why they'll schedule more and more 1-AA pushovers and less and less 1-AA powers.

Now New Hampshire is in an area of the country where there really aren't very many 1-A schools to begin with. Something else that 1-A schools look for other than an easy opponent most times is one that is regional. Sometimes you'll see 1-A schools schedule out of the region. Michigan schedule 1-AA Appalachian State. I bet they won't schedule them again anytime soon. For New Hampshire, they'll be hard-pressed to get Buffalo, Syracuse, West Virginia, UConn, Boston College, or Rutgers to consider putting their team on the schedule.

So, yes, it will be almost impossible for teams like McNeese State, Appalachian, Montana, New Hampshire, Northern Iowa to get games against 1-A teams. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see zero 1-A teams on any of those teams schedules next season.

OxSoxUNH05
September 18th, 2007, 08:54 AM
So, yes, it will be almost impossible for teams like McNeese State, Appalachian, Montana, New Hampshire, Northern Iowa to get games against 1-A teams. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see zero 1-A teams on any of those teams schedules next season.

NH vs Army in '08!

CID1990
September 18th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Clempson reneged on our 1994-1995 game after we beat Arkansas.

Khan4Cats
September 18th, 2007, 09:07 AM
There has been some discussion coming from UNI about an FBS game next year. So far there are feelers out with LSU, Miami, Florida State, and a potential fall back game with Buffalo. And yes, that is falling quite a bit back.

DrG
September 18th, 2007, 09:12 AM
BC seems willing to play UMass, as well as other NE FCS schools, on a periodic basis. But otherwise, UMass is resigned to traveling for future FBS dates (Texas Tech, K State). We were supposed to play UConn in 2012 but now I hear that might be falling through. I guess success at our level is not a good thing to some people.

Col Hogan
September 18th, 2007, 09:13 AM
FBS teams can always cancel contracts, but lots of FCS teams have games scheduled for a number or years out...

I remember a thread about two months ago on this subject. UMass has FBS teams lined up till 2011 or 2012...including BC, UConn and Texas Tech...

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 09:29 AM
nationalchamps.net has a good site for checking future I-A OOC schedules, but they sometimes miss games that we may know about... ie. the only opponent listed for BC after next year is Syracuse... no mention of UMass.

RaiderInTheZone
September 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM
NH vs Army in '08!

If I've learned anything about 1-A schools, it's to never hold your breath on one honoring a contracted game. If I'm not mistaken, LSU was supposed to play Appalachian again this year but dropped the game only months before the season in order to move an already scheduled game against Middle Tennessee in Appalachian's spot while moving Mississippi State to Middle Tennessee's spot as the first game of the season in order garner a televised spot on ESPN. In the end, Appalachian could not be worked in on another date for LSU, so LSU replaced Appalachian with I believe Virginia Tech.

DavisAggie
September 18th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Three years later and I still do not see Stanford scheduling a rematch with us

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 09:43 AM
If I've learned anything about 1-A schools, it's to never hold your breath on one honoring a contracted game. If I'm not mistaken, LSU was supposed to play Appalachian again this year but dropped the game only months before the season in order to move an already scheduled game against Middle Tennessee in Appalachian's spot while moving Mississippi State to Middle Tennessee's spot as the first game of the season in order garner a televised spot on ESPN. In the end, Appalachian could not be worked in on another date for LSU, so LSU replaced Appalachian with I believe Virginia Tech.
I think the LSU move was mandated by the SEC, not LSU. I'm pretty sure they're not scared to play us. I thought the game was moved out to '11 or so.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 18th, 2007, 09:51 AM

The '08 Army game is part of a buy out of a game that had been planned for the '05 season. It was cash plus this game in '08.

I've been looking forward to this trip since it was annonced.
I hope they don't back out.
Funny they planned it for the year AFTER Santos graduates.xsmiley_wix

henfan
September 18th, 2007, 09:55 AM
There will always be slots available on FBS schedules for FCS schools. Always has and always will be. Nothing short of NCAA prohibition against it would change that. In fact, the FBS seems to have moved in the opposite direction with repeal of the '1 in 4' rule and expansion of the regular season to 12 games.

It's a simple matter of numbers. FBS schools want home games and there are so many D-I schools from which to choose. FCS schools will remain a less expensive alternative to low-tier FBS schools. Besides, it's not any less embarrassing for an upper tier FBS team to lose to an upper-tier FCS, as opposed to an FBS bottom feeder. Same difference, competitively speaking. There always remains the possibility for an upset, whether the school's name is Montana State or Northern Illinois.

GannonFan
September 18th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Agree with Henfan here - if anything, we'll see more and more games of FCS teams, even the good ones, playing FBS teams. Money drives everything and getting the home games without having to return the favor and play on the road is too good a deal to turn their backs on. And besides, with wins like the Appy St and UNH ones, the stigma of playing an FCS team begins to lessen - it was this stigma that was, IMO, preventing more games from being scheduled as FBS fans would question the credentials of the FCS team - that gets less and less a problem with each upset, which are still few and far between. Have no fear, these games will continue and will probably be more plentiful going forward.

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Here's the list...

Southern Utah at Air Force
Northern Arizona at Arizona State
New Hampshire at Army
Colgate at Buffalo
Eastern Kentucky at Cincinnati
The Citadel at Clemson
Sacramento State at Colorado State
Hofstra at Connecticut
James Madison at Duke
The Citadel at Florida
Georgia Southern at Georgia
Jacksonville State at Georgia Tech
Eastern Illinois at Illinois
Maine at Iowa
South Dakota State at Iowa State
Tennessee Tech at Louisville
Delaware at Maryland
Tennessee Chattanooga at Memphis
Montana State at Minnesota
Southeastern Louisiana at Mississippi State
Towson at Navy
Southern Illinois at Northwestern
Youngstown State at Ohio State
Coastal Carolina at Penn State
Wofford at South Carolina
Tennessee Martin at South Florida
Stephen F Austin at Texas Christian
Weber State at Utah
Richmond at Virginia
Furman at Virginia Tech
Eastern Kentucky at Western Kentucky
Villanova at West Virginia

Northern Colorado at Air Force
Missouri State at Cincinnati
Richmond at Duke
Appalachian State at Georgia
Illinois State at Illinois
Northern Iowa at Iowa
North Dakota State at Iowa State
Massachusetts at Kansas State
James Madison at Maryland
South Dakota State at Minnesota
Georgia Southern at Navy
Delaware at Navy
The Citadel at North Carolina
Towson at Northwestern
Cal Poly at San Jose State
The Citadel at South Carolina
Wofford at South Florida
Texas State at Texas Christian
William & Mary at Virginia
Elon at Wake Forest
Weber State at Wyoming

The Citadel at Arizona
Yale at Army
Northeastern at Connecticut
Northern Iowa at Iowa State
Missouri State at Kansas State
Eastern Kentucky at Louisville
William & Mary at North Carolina
Furman at South Carolina
Samford at South Florida
Richmond at Virginia

Richmond at Duke
Furman at Florida
Towson at Maryland
James Madison at North Carolina
South Carolina State at South Carolina
Appalachian State at Virginia Tech
Weber State at Wyoming

Massachusetts at Connecticut

Colgate at Air Force

Coastal Carolina at Clemson
Furman at South Carolina

henfan
September 18th, 2007, 10:24 AM
...with wins like the Appy St and UNH ones, the stigma of playing an FCS team begins to lessen - it was this stigma that was, IMO, preventing more games from being scheduled as FBS fans would question the credentials of the FCS team - that gets less and less a problem with each upset, which are still few and far between.

Excellent point, GF. Not one I even considered.xthumbsupx

The so-called stigma should lessen not only as the traditional FBS powers play more and more games against FCS teams, but also against the FCS competitive equals in conferences like the WAC, MAC & SBC.

RaiderInTheZone
Agree with Henfan here - if anything, we'll see more and more games of FCS teams, even the good ones, playing FBS teams. Money drives everything and getting the home games without having to return the favor and play on the road is too good a deal to turn their backs on. And besides, with wins like the Appy St and UNH ones, the stigma of playing an FCS team begins to lessen - it was this stigma that was, IMO, preventing more games from being scheduled as FBS fans would question the credentials of the FCS team - that gets less and less a problem with each upset, which are still few and far between. Have no fear, these games will continue and will probably be more plentiful going forward.

No 1-A schools would willingly schedule a 1-AA team unless they knew for sure they had a program that couldn't lose. Sometimes it takes a little trial and error to find what 1-AA teams work for certain 1-A teams. Michigan won't schedule Appalachian again. I can assure you. LSU is good enough, they'll probably move a game with Appalachian out and schedule it later. This year's LSU team could beat anyone in 1-AA and at least 85% of 1-A teams by 40+ points. No reason to see a team like that backing down from anyone.

You'll probably see Iowa State schedule lighter and the same can be said for Rice and Northern Illinois as well as Louisiana. The Cajuns will likely look for a match with someone other than McNeese next time like say Sam Houston State or Stephen F. Austin or maybe Central Arkansas.

After Mississippi State lost to Maine in 2004, you know who they turned around and scheduled the next couple years. How 'bout Murray State in 2005? A little bit easier than Maine. Then they scheduled even lower putting Gardner-Webb on the schedule this year--must easier than Maine and easier than Murray State (who they beat decisively the year before). It's clear that Mississippi State doesn't trust their ability to beat good 1-AA teams, so obviously they're going to schedule bad ones.

It's a business. The top 1-AA teams will have a hard time getting games against Power Six schools that are not national powers year in and year out.

th0m
Thanks for the list 89Hen. You keeping this up yourself, or you got a link?

South Carolina seems to really draw from SC FCS schools only, which is a good development IMO. Nice rotation between Furman, Wofford, SCState and The Citadel.

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM
No 1-A schools would willingly schedule a 1-AA team unless they knew for sure they had a program that couldn't lose. Sometimes it takes a little trial and error to find what 1-AA teams work for certain 1-A teams. Michigan won't schedule Appalachian again. I can assure you. LSU is good enough, they'll probably move a game with Appalachian out and schedule it later. This year's LSU team could beat anyone in 1-AA and at least 85% of 1-A teams by 40+ points. No reason to see a team like that backing down from anyone.

You'll probably see Iowa State schedule lighter and the same can be said for Rice and Northern Illinois as well as Louisiana. The Cajuns will likely look for a match with someone other than McNeese next time like say Sam Houston State or Stephen F. Austin or maybe Central Arkansas.

After Mississippi State lost to Maine in 2004, you know who they turned around and scheduled the next couple years. How 'bout Murray State in 2005? A little bit easier than Maine. Then they scheduled even lower putting Gardner-Webb on the schedule this year--must easier than Maine and easier than Murray State (who they beat decisively the year before). It's clear that Mississippi State doesn't trust their ability to beat good 1-AA teams, so obviously they're going to schedule bad ones.

It's a business. The top 1-AA teams will have a hard time getting games against Power Six schools that are not national powers year in and year out.
Who is Louisiana? xconfusedx

RaiderInTheZone
September 18th, 2007, 10:29 AM

South Carolina seems to really draw from SC FCS schools only, which is a good development IMO. Nice rotation between Furman, Wofford, SCState and The Citadel.

I heard our AD was looking to do something similar for us with Tennessee State, UTC, Tennessee Tech, and Tennessee-Martin eventually. It wouldn't be a bad idea. None of those schools would be a legitimate threat to us 95% of the time.

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 10:36 AM
No 1-A schools would willingly schedule a 1-AA team unless they knew for sure they had a program that couldn't lose.
xconfusedx Duke, Wake, Vandy, Rutgers (of old), Army, Navy, LA-L/M.... all play I-AA's and all know they can lose regularly.

DavisAggie
September 18th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Here's the list...

UC Davis at San Jose State

You can add this game too, we also play San Jose State in two weeks.

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules

USC has gone to the all in-state method, but as I mentioned earlier, many schools are doing regional only (UVA, Maryland, Clemson, UNC)... it is a lot easier since there are so many I-AA's in the Mid-Atlantic through Southeast.

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 10:40 AM
You can add this game too, we also play San Jose State in two weeks.

For SJSU in 2008 they list...

9-6 @ Nebraska
9-13 San Diego State
9-20 @ Stanford
10-4 @ Tennessee

Do they have more than 4 OOC games?

DavisAggie
September 18th, 2007, 10:48 AM
For SJSU in 2008 they list...

9-6 @ Nebraska
9-13 San Diego State
9-20 @ Stanford
10-4 @ Tennessee

Do they have more than 4 OOC games?

You know what, my wife went to San Deigo State, I may have mixed the two up. My bad.

But wow, @ Nebraska and @ Tennessee.

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 10:51 AM
You know what, my wife went to San Deigo State, I may have mixed the two up. My bad
They are pretty much interchangable for us Easterners. xsmiley_wix

San Diego State (I refuse to call them SDSU in deference to South Dakota State) only has:
9-6 @ Notre Dame
9-20 UCLA

CID1990
September 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM
xconfusedx Duke, Wake, Vandy, Rutgers (of old), Army, Navy, LA-L/M.... all play I-AA's and all know they can lose regularly.

This is true, but most of these teams probably have the philosophy that if they schedule FCS teams, it lessens their chances of having 0-12 seasons.

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 10:54 AM
But wow, @ Nebraska and @ Tennessee.
Yes, SJSU has been a road warrior for many years... but there was actually one worse...

Vanderbilt 2013

TBA @ Clemson
TBA @ Georgia Tech
TBA @ Tulsa
TBA @ Wake Forest

I would say this was a typo but they do have Clemson and Wake at home the year before and Tulsa at home two years before... are they REALLY going to play 8 road games in 2013?! xeekx

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 10:57 AM
This is true, but most of these teams probably have the philosophy that if they schedule FCS teams, it lessens their chances of having 0-12 seasons.
There is some truth to RITZ's comment though... you won't see FAU, FIU, Troy, WKU... rushing out to schedule any I-AA games any time soon. WKU has one left with EKU and that will probably be it. IMO it's because one, they don't want to lose and two, they don't want to play teams from the sub they just left... that would send a strange message to the alums.

OxSoxUNH05
September 18th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I've been looking forward to this trip since it was annonced.
I hope they don't back out.

I too am excited for the trip. Finally one in driving distance. I flew to Northwestern last year and would have made the trip to Huntington if not for my wedding getting in the way. xoopsx

DavisAggie
September 18th, 2007, 11:00 AM
They are pretty much interchangable for us Easterners. xsmiley_wix

San Diego State (I refuse to call them SDSU in deference to South Dakota State) only has:
9-6 @ Notre Dame
9-20 UCLA

Yeah, we are going to Notre Dame for the game. My third game at Notre Dame (LSU and Baylor), her first – we are looking forward to it.

This week Portland State @ San Diego State, I'm going with PSU but don't tell the wife :p :p

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM
would have made the trip to Huntington if not for my wedding getting in the way. xoopsx
Congrats! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Yeah, we are going to Notre Dame for the game. My third game at Notre Dame (LSU and Baylor), her first – we are looking forward to it.
Mrs89 is a UVA grad and the Hoos were supposed to go to ND in the next two years, but it seems it's off... too bad, I would have loved to go there. They do open at home with Southern Cal next year xeekx and go to LA in 2010.

OxSoxUNH05
September 18th, 2007, 11:21 AM
:D Thanks, it really should have read though, paying for the wedding. I'm gonna miss 10/27 vs URI as that's the actual date.

RaiderInTheZone
September 18th, 2007, 12:09 PM
There is some truth to RITZ's comment though... you won't see FAU, FIU, Troy, WKU... rushing out to schedule any I-AA games any time soon. WKU has one left with EKU and that will probably be it. IMO it's because one, they don't want to lose and two, they don't want to play teams from the sub they just left... that would send a strange message to the alums.

Oh, you'll still see Sun Belt schools put 1-AA teams on their schedules, but they sure as heck won't be Appalachian, McNeese, Georgia Southern, or Northern Iowa. The OVC as weak as it is would be the logical pool of teams Middle Tennessee will schedule. Our AD has already said that one 1-AA team will appear on our schedule annually, but he's looking for former conference rivals and teams from the region. That's why I think we'll see more of UTC, Tennessee Tech, Tennessee State, and UT-Martin on the schedule. These teams no longer pose a threat to beating us as they would have while we were in the OVC.

Troy will probably play an Alabama State, Alabama A&M, or Samford. They may even schedule Jacksonville State. With the team they have now, they'd likely beat Jax State hands down. FIU and FAU will look at Florida A&M (no longer a legitimate 1-AA power after getting ripped apart by NCAA sanctions). They'll probably also look at Bethune-Cookman and Jacksonville. FAU is 4-1 against those three Florida 1-AA schools. FIU is 4-2 against them. FAU and FIU would probably have no problem beating those schools today even moreso.

Western Kentucky will probably continue to schedule OVC schools as well looking for games against Murray and Eastern Kentucky. You might even see Morehead on a WKU schedule from time to time.

We'll keep a 1-AA on the schedule most of the time, but they won't 1-AA teams that are traditional powers at the 1-AA level.

And on the issue of Vanderbilt, they do play 1-AA teams as well. But as you can see, they are very good at picking teams to beat. They have roled the dice against The Citadel, Furman, and Richmond in recent years and have won every time. In fact, since the division split in 1978, Vandy has only lost to a 1-AA team one time and that was to The Citadel in '79. Vandy has not lost to a 1-AA team since.

RaiderInTheZone
September 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Mrs89 is a UVA grad and the Hoos were supposed to go to ND in the next two years, but it seems it's off... too bad, I would have loved to go there. They do open at home with Southern Cal next year xeekx and go to LA in 2010.

Virginia plays at Middle Tennessee on October 6th this year. Of course, we aren't paying Virginia anything, and this is a one-time thing. We won't owe them any return games.

henfan
September 18th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Indeed it is a business and that's exactly why upper echelon FBS schools will continue to schedule FCS teams of all stripes & lower-tier FBS schools for home games, regardless of the competitive risks.

Clearly though, there's no greater stigma attached with a loss to an Appalachian, Northern Iowa or Delaware than a Troy, Akron or Idaho. The difference is that FCS schools don't angle for '2 for 1' deals and don't typically command guarantees as high as their lower-tier FBS counterparts. As long as the competitive risks are similar, bowl credit is awarded for wins over FCSers, and guarantees are less, there will always be a market for scheduling FCS schools of all sorts, particularly among the upper tier of the FBS.

Jiggs
September 18th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Add Samford at Ole Miss for 2008.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Clearly though, there's no greater stigma attached with a loss to an Appalachian, Northern Iowa or Delaware than a Troy, Akron or Idaho...

Huh??? Are you trying to actually say that a loss to Troy is no more of a stigma than a loss to App State? That's crazy talk.

When Troy beat Missouri in 2004, Akron beat NC State in 2006, and Idaho beat Washington State in 2000, correct me if I'm wrong here but there were no SI covers, weeks of coverage, or poll changes made. It was a slight embarassment to the losing schools, and they all went on to bad seasons. But losing to App State was humiliating for Michigan. How is that not a stigma? I sure as hell don't think the Michigan win was expected.

DavisAggie
September 18th, 2007, 01:55 PM

You know in Rudy where his father almost cried when you saw the field for the first time. Well, I almost did too. I recommend any college football fan to make it to at least one home Notre Dame game in their lifetime.

Go...gate
September 18th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Here's the list...

New Hampshire at Army
Colgate at Buffalo
The Citadel at Clemson
Hofstra at Connecticut
James Madison at Duke
The Citadel at Florida
Maine at Iowa
Delaware at Maryland
Towson at Navy
Weber State at Utah
Richmond at Virginia
Furman at Virginia Tech

Richmond at Duke
Northern Iowa at Iowa
Georgia Southern at Navy
Delaware at Navy
Towson at Northwestern
Wofford at South Florida
Elon at Wake Forest
Weber State at Wyoming

The Citadel at Arizona
Yale at Army
Furman at South Carolina
Samford at South Florida
Richmond at Virginia

Richmond at Duke
Furman at Florida
Towson at Maryland
Weber State at Wyoming

Colgate at Air Force

Furman at South Carolina

You may subtract Colgate-Buffalo from the '08 sked. UB has pulled out.

henfan
September 18th, 2007, 02:20 PM
When Troy beat Missouri in 2004, Akron beat NC State in 2006, and Idaho beat Washington State in 2000, correct me if I'm wrong here but there were no SI covers, weeks of coverage, or poll changes made.

If you think the UMo, NCSU & WSU FB programs are in the same stratosphere as Michigan FB, you really don't understand intercollegiate athletics. UM FB is one of the Top 5 or so elite teams in all of D-I, maybe all of college sports. When UMO, NCSU & WSU FB win as many national championships, sell out 110K seats every week, garner as much national attention as UM, please dial me back.

If Akron, Idaho or Troy beat a Top 5 Wolvarine team, they would also be on the cover of SI. Michigan would be no less humiliated losing to one of those schools. Any loss like that is bad for UM FB, especially a top ranked UM team.

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Huh??? Are you trying to actually say that a loss to Troy is no more of a stigma than a loss to App State? That's crazy talk.

When Troy beat Missouri in 2004, Akron beat NC State in 2006, and Idaho beat Washington State in 2000, correct me if I'm wrong here but there were no SI covers, weeks of coverage, or poll changes made.

If you think the UMo, NCSU & WSU FB programs are in the same stratosphere as Michigan FB, you really don't understand intercollegiate athletics.

If Akron, Idaho or Troy beat a Top 5 Wolvarine team, they would also be on the cover of SI. Michigan would be no less humiliated losing to one of those schools. Any loss like that is bad for UM FB, especially a top ranked UM team.
I actually think the truth lies somewhere between the two of you. IMO the reason AppSt over UM was such a big deal is that it was the first time for a I-AA over a ranked I-A and UM was so highly ranked. It was a much bigger deal, but from this point forward, it won't be any bigger for somebody to lose to an AppSt than a Troy. xtwocentsx

UNHWildCats
September 18th, 2007, 03:11 PM
NH vs Army in '08!

September 6

AlphaSigMD
September 18th, 2007, 03:12 PM
While many may view this as simply unfair, its also something that comes with the territory of being a top tier program thats viewed by the masses as inferior. AD's and Coaches are afraid of losing street cred (and their job) with the nameless, faceless masses that pull for the local big-name team, because its simply the local big-name team.

If you disregard the student section, I would wager that a large percentage of the fans at these big name schools like Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State didn't really go to school there. They might have gone to some other school nearby, or not at all. As far as college football goes, the sun rises and sets with their team, and their team alone. They don't know what to expect from a middle level team out of the MAC or Pac-10, much less a smaller school from a different division or subdivision, be it their home state or not.

So, AD's, atleast in our backyard, use their own discretion to determine which schools they can realistically live down a loss to. I feel that most people at UNC would describe losing to ASU at anything as something akin to a giant gaping pit opening up and swallowing Chapel Hill for all eternity. They will play just about any FCS team that's not ASU, so your AD might want to give them a call. The Iron Duke's would rust, and Durham would burn down like Atlanta in Gone With the Wind if ASU ever hung an L at Wallace Wade Stadium, "the site of the only rose bowl played outside of california." Wake's already had enough...

So, Congrats to UNH for another excellent win, and joining the national "do not play" list.

UNHWildCats
September 18th, 2007, 03:13 PM

True and this game vs Army next year was actually rescheduled from 2005 when we had to schedule UC Davis late to replace Army

UNHWildCats
September 18th, 2007, 03:18 PM
next year with the extra week will FBS play 13 games while RFCS plays 12? If so then 5 OOC games is possible for San Jose State

ucdtim17
September 18th, 2007, 07:49 PM
SJSU is not playing at Tennessee next year - they're opening with UCD

PMB4Life
September 18th, 2007, 09:01 PM
No 1-A schools would willingly schedule a 1-AA team unless they knew for sure they had a program that couldn't lose.

I know I'm late on this, but Iowa State did not back out on UNI this season despite 90% of their fan base knowing that they would likely lose. The other thing is that we are apparently scheduled to play Iowa State in 2010 and 2011, but I guarantee that Iowa State, despite losing to UNI this year will not likely back out on those games, either. I could only imagine the state-wide bashing they would receive if they did.

CID1990
September 18th, 2007, 09:05 PM
While many may view this as simply unfair, its also something that comes with the territory of being a top tier program thats viewed by the masses as inferior. AD's and Coaches are afraid of losing street cred (and their job) with the nameless, faceless masses that pull for the local big-name team, because its simply the local big-name team.

If you disregard the student section, I would wager that a large percentage of the fans at these big name schools like Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State didn't really go to school there. They might have gone to some other school nearby, or not at all. As far as college football goes, the sun rises and sets with their team, and their team alone. They don't know what to expect from a middle level team out of the MAC or Pac-10, much less a smaller school from a different division or subdivision, be it their home state or not.

So, AD's, atleast in our backyard, use their own discretion to determine which schools they can realistically live down a loss to. I feel that most people at UNC would describe losing to ASU at anything as something akin to a giant gaping pit opening up and swallowing Chapel Hill for all eternity. They will play just about any FCS team that's not ASU, so your AD might want to give them a call. The Iron Duke's would rust, and Durham would burn down like Atlanta in Gone With the Wind if ASU ever hung an L at Wallace Wade Stadium, "the site of the only rose bowl played outside of california." Wake's already had enough...

So, Congrats to UNH for another excellent win, and joining the national "do not play" list.

Memories are short in Chapel Hill, and Raleigh too, for that matter. There was a time when UNC nor NCSU wouldn't play ECU. Heck, ECU should have been brought into the ACC LONG before Miami ever got a sniff, but we have UNC and NCSU to thank for that.

CID1990
September 18th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Come to think of it, in two years we play the Heels and the Gamecocks in the same season. Gawd, I wish we could play the Heels this year! I think the new coach will have them out of reach by 2009.

McNeese_beat
September 18th, 2007, 10:01 PM

I believe the story is that LSU had a chance to get Mississippi State on TV, so they had the App State game moved to another year and helped App State find Michigan. Michigan was wanting to back out of a game with Hawaii.

I could be off a little on the details, but it went something like that. I think LSU and App State will play in 2008 or 2009.

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2007, 10:27 PM

We are working on a game for next year. Rumors are LSU, Miami, Florida State and Buffalo.

2009 we go to Iowa. xthumbsupx

Good points though Raider.

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Here's the list...

New Hampshire at Army
Colgate at Buffalo
The Citadel at Clemson
Hofstra at Connecticut
James Madison at Duke
The Citadel at Florida
Maine at Iowa
Delaware at Maryland
Towson at Navy
Weber State at Utah
Richmond at Virginia
Furman at Virginia Tech

Richmond at Duke
Northern Iowa at Iowa
Georgia Southern at Navy
Delaware at Navy
Towson at Northwestern
Wofford at South Florida
Elon at Wake Forest
Weber State at Wyoming

The Citadel at Arizona
Yale at Army
Furman at South Carolina
Samford at South Florida
Richmond at Virginia

Richmond at Duke
Furman at Florida
Towson at Maryland
Weber State at Wyoming

Colgate at Air Force

Furman at South Carolina

A lot of possible wins.

New Hampshire at Army
Colgate at Buffalo
Hofstra at Connecticut
James Madison at Duke
Maine at Iowa
Delaware at Maryland
Towson at Navy
Richmond at Virginia

Richmond at Duke
Northern Iowa at Iowa
Georgia Southern at Navy
Delaware at Navy
Towson at Northwestern
Wofford at South Florida

Yale at Army
Furman at South Carolina
Richmond at Virginia

Richmond at Duke
Towson at Maryland

Gordon Shumway
September 20th, 2007, 04:52 PM
True and this game vs Army next year was actually rescheduled from 2005 when we had to schedule UC Davis late to replace Army

If you look closely at DavisAggie's signature pic above, you can see the result of that Army cancellation in '05.