PDA

View Full Version : Citadel looking good

GGASU
September 18th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Why no love for THE Citadel in the Polls? They gave Wisconsin all they wanted and more this past weekend.

ASU better bring their A game to Charleston or they will leave with a L. (I hated the drive home after the so-co basketball tourney in Charleston...so lets not let that happen!!)

We watched the Wisconsin/Citadel game this weekend.... We yelled and chanted in hopes of a 2-0 record for the southern conference againist top ten teams....but it was not to be. Great game in the first half, but that long drive that THE Citadel had numerous chances to stop to open up the second half really hurt.

They preformed at the same or better than ASU againist LSU in 05 but haven't been given the same respect.

TheValleyRaider
September 18th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Why no love for THE Citadel in the Polls? They game Wisconsin all they wanted and more this past weekend.

ASU better bring their A game to Charleston or they will leave with a L. (I hated the drive home after the so-co basketball tourney in Charleston...so lets not let that happen!!)

We watched the Wisconsin/Citadel game this weekend.... We yelled and chanted in hopes of a 2-0 record for the southern conference againist top ten teams....but it was not to be. Great game in the first half, but that long drive that THE Citadel had numerous chances to stop to open up the second half really hurt.

They preformed at the same or better than ASU againist LSU in 05 but haven't been given the same respect.

citdog? Is that you?

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I voted for them. They've got good team speed and look like they could make some noise.

Millwoch
September 18th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Well we will get there if we keep winning. We should handle Bye with ease this week. Chatty is next on the road. We should beat them. so that is 3-1 going into Woffy game in Charleston. I would rather be ranked at the end of Nov than now. I think this team can do it.

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 10:05 AM
They made my list, but I think they'll make top 25 once the dust settles.

CID1990
September 18th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Well we will get there if we keep winning. We should handle Bye with ease this week. Chatty is next on the road. We should beat them. so that is 3-1 going into Woffy game in Charleston. I would rather be ranked at the end of Nov than now. I think this team can do it.

Chatty scares me. They beat us in 1990 after we beat South Carolina. Nothing is given in this conference.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 18th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I was hoping that after this week (i.e. September 22nd) we could have 6 Socon teams in the top 25, but it doesn't look like that'll happen. Elon could clobber Liberty and probably still not make it into the top 25, and people still won't be convinced GSU is a top-25 unless they beat UTC by 50. At best we'll have 4 if several of the overrated teams near the bottom of the top 25 lose.

terrierbob
September 18th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I was hoping that after this week (i.e. September 22nd) we could have 6 Socon teams in the top 25, but it doesn't look like that'll happen. Elon could clobber Liberty and probably still not make it into the top 25, and people still won't be convinced GSU is a top-25 unless they beat UTC by 50. At best we'll have 4 if several of the overrated teams near the bottom of the top 25 lose.
I'll bet you an eagle feather you're in after Chatty if you win by at least10-14.

Cobblestone
September 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM
citdog? Is that you?

You can bet he is waving the stars and bars at the Citadel games.

ElonPride
September 18th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Why no love for THE Citadel in the Polls? They gave Wisconsin all they wanted and more this past weekend.

The Citadel IS A TOP 25 TEAM!!! There is no doubt about it! The folks voting for Stony Brook, Prarie View, & Drake need to LOOK!!!!!!

ElonPride
September 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM

You're for sure. I'm very surprised no one took a peak at Elon after week 2 and threw at least a couple votes our way!

I guess giving a top 25 FBS all they want, and having our biggest offensive outburst in years doesn't turn heads......but 2 not so impressive wins over D-II teams does! xnonono2x

GoldandBlack
September 18th, 2007, 03:32 PM
You're for sure. I'm very surprised no one took a peak at Elon after week 2 and threw at least a couple votes our way!

I guess giving a top 25 FBS all they want, and having our biggest offensive outburst in years doesn't turn heads......but 2 not so impressive wins over D-II teams does! xsmiley_wix

You'll learn, as we did, that current rankings depend not just on current performance, but also to some degree on past performance and catching people's attention, as well.

Several years of prior successes definitely help your chance of being ranked when you're on the bubble of the top 25 (last year being the most powerful influence).

OL FU
September 18th, 2007, 03:36 PM
You'll learn, as we did, that current rankings depend not just on current performance, but also to some degree on past performance and catching people's attention, as well.

Several years of prior successes definitely help your chance of being ranked when you're on the bubble of the top 25 (last year being the most powerful influence).

And in the early polls there really isn't much choice. Right now there are many 3-0 and 2-1 teams, how do you choose without at least some reliance on history. You can argue the individual games but it is almost impossible to measure the value of close games against a I-A foe.

It may not be fair but it works out at the end of the season when it countsxnodx

ElonPride
September 18th, 2007, 04:02 PM
And in the early polls there really isn't much choice. Right now there are many 3-0 and 2-1 teams, how do you choose without at least some reliance on history. You can argue the individual games but it is almost impossible to measure the value of close games against a I-A foe.

It may not be fair but it works out at the end of the season when it countsxnodx

I wasn't trying to sound whinny. I am acutally more "upset" with El Cid's abscense from the top 25!!!

CID1990
September 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I wasn't trying to sound whinny. I am acutally more "upset" with El Cid's abscense from the top 25!!!

Patience, Grasshopper. We might have 5 teams taking a crack at the rankings before this is all over.

HiHiYikas
September 18th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I would rather be ranked at the end of Nov than now. I think this team can do it.
I agree. It's a frustrating thing for a poll voter, to know that there are probably 10 teams with good records in the top 25 who would lose to the Citadel 8 out of 10 times. But that's just my opinion for now. So where am I supposed to put them, based on my opinion?

That'll get clearer and clearer (i.e. less an opinion) as the season goes.

OL FU
September 18th, 2007, 04:35 PM

didn't take it that way.

I never realized how tough thinking about the top 25 is the first part of the season until I started doing it myselfxnodx

ngineer
September 18th, 2007, 11:50 PM

very much agreed..Philosophically, it is difficult to 'raise' one in or into a poll when they lose. Albeit the loss was gallant, we have always decried 'moral victories'..I presume that if The Citadel wins this week they will make an appearance as they will show they are real. Sometimes ( and I'm not saying this happened this past week) a team will get 'really up' for a big 'step-up game', and then have a letdown the following week against someone 'their own size'. So it is difficult to evaluate all of these games early in the season. It is not important what one is ranked in September..November is when it matters and if the 'dogs play to what their potential appears, the could well be in the top ten or better by then. Just win.xthumbsupx

MarkCCU
September 19th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Citadel fans rise up! Let your voices be heard. You are a TOp 25 team. You will have a great season this year. THe Wisconsin game was a great litmus test your your meddle and you made us here in Charleston, the SoCon and in FCS football proud!!!!!!!!!

GaSouthern
September 19th, 2007, 07:27 AM
IMO, Drake FINALLY got into the top 25 but should not last past this week. el cid and GSU should be knocking on the door if we can both win big against chatty.

Millwoch
September 19th, 2007, 07:29 AM
We want to keep winning. With Woffy and Furman back to back at home in about 3 weeks, we really have a chance to make a statement. Let's hope we do not have a let down game against Chatty next week. We also play at GSU and I know they have that game circled on the schedule because we got them last year at Johnson Hagood. No offense to the terriers and dens, but GSU scares me more. All I know is that we have to keep playing at the level we have thus far. The Socon will be really interesting this year.

GoldandBlack
September 19th, 2007, 07:33 AM
I can tell you exactly what SoCon game worries me the most this year- the one we play next- that goes for this week, and every week.

citdog
September 19th, 2007, 07:40 AM
all who posted in this thread affirmatively are hearby excused from Re-Education Summer Camp when the South rises again! by my hand this 19th day of Sept, 2007.

Citdog

BULLDOG8180
September 19th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I presume that if The Citadel wins this week they will make an appearance as they will show they are real.

It is certain we will not win this week. Nor will we lose. Do you think a "tie with bye", will be enough to get us in???xsmhx

ngineer
September 19th, 2007, 08:17 AM
It is certain we will not win this week. Nor will we lose. Do you think a "tie with bye", will be enough to get us in???xsmhx

Well, with my sleep deprived mind and time of morning, I didn't realize it is a bye week coming up. My apologies. The point, however, remains.

lizrdgizrd
September 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM
It will in my poll, since you're already there. xsmiley_wix