PDA

View Full Version : National Player of the Week Honors Announced <---CSN

CSN-info
September 17th, 2007, 10:20 PM
National Player of the Week Honors Announced
College Sporting News

University of New Hampshire quarterback Ricky Santos, Georgia Southern University quarterback Jayson Foster, Portland State linebacker Jordan Senn, McNeese State University defensive end Bryan Smith, and the College of William & Mary placekicker Brian Pate are the recipients of College Sporting News National Football Championship Subdivision honors for the week ending September 17, 2007.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=87544

Also:

Week Three Conference Players of the Week
All 15 Conference honors for the week ending 9/17/2007.
READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=87552

patssle
September 17th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Rhett Bomar - 106 yards rushing, 358 yards passing, 4 TDs

FCSFAN
September 17th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Rhett Bomar - 106 yards rushing, 358 yards passing, 4 TDsin a losing effort, that is all.

patssle
September 17th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Isn't it Player of the week...not team of the week?

FCSFAN
September 17th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Isn't it Player of the week...not team of the week?heck I don't know. Geez, your endless Bearkat rants are getting unbearkatable. ;)

Retro
September 17th, 2007, 10:47 PM
After seeing Bomar's numbers and the team he did it againest, you have to wonder who makes these picks and their reasoning.. At the same time, I expected Bomar to get SLC offensive player over the week, but Jamie Leonard of Mcneese got it.. Jamie deserved it, but objectively Bomar probably had the better game..

blackfordpu
September 17th, 2007, 10:55 PM
No probably about it, he deserved it period.

FCSFAN
September 17th, 2007, 11:09 PM
After seeing Bomar's numbers and the team he did it againest, you have to wonder who makes these picks and their reasoning.. At the same time, I expected Bomar to get SLC offensive player over the week, but Jamie Leonard of Mcneese got it.. Jamie deserved it, but objectively Bomar probably had the better game..Yeah I guess doing it against Marshall and ULL is nothing. xcoffeex Bomar threw nearly as many incompletions as receptions (plus a pick) and Walker of NDSU had more TD passes (with no interceptions).

Where's the koolaid because I want some of what you're drinking! xlolx :p xpeacex

pantherfan
September 17th, 2007, 11:22 PM
While he did get the Gateway player of the week...this is arguably as impressive as the other offensive players this week and it came against quality competition as well...xnodx

RB Corey Lewis, UNI Jr., 6-0, 197, St. Paul (Neb.) High
Lewis caught 10 passes for 164 yards, rushed 18 times for 125 yards and scored three touchdowns in leading UNI to a 31-17 victory at South Dakota State. Lewis tallied career-bests in receptions, receiving yards, all-purpose yards (289) and touchdowns.

PantherRob82
September 17th, 2007, 11:53 PM
While he did get the Gateway player of the week...this is arguably as impressive as the other offensive players this week and it came against quality competition as well...xnodx

Lewis caught 10 passes for 164 yards, rushed 18 times for 125 yards and scored three touchdowns in leading UNI to a 31-17 victory at South Dakota State. Lewis tallied career-bests in receptions, receiving yards, all-purpose yards (289) and touchdowns.

Agreed. My first thought when I saw the thread title was, "Cory Lewis better be the offensive player of the week."

blur2005
September 18th, 2007, 12:01 AM

What a day at the office. Very Marshall Faulk-like.

X-Factor
September 18th, 2007, 12:38 AM
looks like we had lots of strong performances to choose from for POW.

gsugt1
September 18th, 2007, 08:49 AM
6 TD's and he (Jayson Foster) is sharing the award xeyebrowx :)

catbob
September 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Special teams player kicked two whole field goals, wow!

How about CB Kory Austin for the Bobcats, returned a blocked FG for a TD AND returned a punt for a TD. Both over 80 yards. But yea I can see how kicking two field goals and 6 extra points is more exciting.

UNHWildCats
September 18th, 2007, 12:56 PM
After seeing Bomar's numbers and the team he did it againest, you have to wonder who makes these picks and their reasoning.. At the same time, I expected Bomar to get SLC offensive player over the week, but Jamie Leonard of Mcneese got it.. Jamie deserved it, but objectively Bomar probably had the better game..

Ricky Santos put up great numbers and against an FBS team and WON... The honor is very deserved this week over Bomar..... A case could probably be made for Bomar being there instead of the GSU QB, but again the GSU guy led his team to victory which Bomar didn't.

Retro
September 18th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Yeah I guess doing it against Marshall and ULL is nothing. xcoffeex Bomar threw nearly as many incompletions as receptions (plus a pick) and Walker of NDSU had more TD passes (with no interceptions).

Where's the koolaid because I want some of what you're drinking! xlolx :p xpeacex

OK, if you want to look at who they played, you have to consider the quality of the competition, not just the fact that they are FBS Teams or not..

SAGARIN RANKINGS:

NSDU - 103
MARSHALL - 154
ULL - 162

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 02:17 PM
OK, if you want to look at who they played, you have to consider the quality of the competition, not just the fact that they are FBS Teams or not..

SAGARIN RANKINGS:

NSDU - 103
MARSHALL - 154
ULL - 162
Don't forget to count the most important part, the Ws. xeyebrowx

patssle
September 18th, 2007, 02:22 PM
and why is the win important? Is this team of the week or player of the week? It's not Bomar's fault that the defense choked. He did what had to be done to win, it was the defense that lost it.

So if he threw for 1000 yards in 1 game with 10 touchdowns, and still lost...he shouldn't get it?

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM
and why is the win important? Is this team of the week or player of the week? It's not Bomar's fault that the defense choked. He did what had to be done to win, it was the defense that lost it.

So if he threw for 1000 yards in 1 game with 10 touchdowns, and still lost...he shouldn't get it?
The other QBs managed to help their teams win, Bomar fell short. No shame, he had a great performance but that doesn't automatically give him the nod. xpeacex

patssle
September 18th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Maybe Bomar dosn't deserve outright the national POTW...maybe he does...but either way..I don't think it should be based on the teams win or loss. A player can have a huge game but if the other side of the team (defense) sucks...then what he does won't win the game.

Retro
September 18th, 2007, 02:49 PM
My guess would be that, all other things being equal, winning the game was probably the deciding factor in these cases.. Or course, i don't necessarily agree with that, especially when the numbers for one clearly outweight another when you factor in yardage, rushing, passing and td's.

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Maybe Bomar dosn't deserve outright the national POTW...maybe he does...but either way..I don't think it should be based on the teams win or loss. A player can have a huge game but if the other side of the team (defense) sucks...then what he does won't win the game.
You're assuming that it wasn't great offensive play on the other side that wins the game. I think it's reasonable to include him in the discussion and not unreasonable for him to come out on top but that doesn't make it automatic and players who lifted their teams to wins may have made a greater impact overall than the mere stat line. xpeacex

FCSFAN
September 18th, 2007, 03:28 PM
My guess would be that, all other things being equal, winning the game was probably the deciding factor in these cases.. Or course, i don't necessarily agree with that, especially when the numbers for one clearly outweight another when you factor in yardage, rushing, passing and td's.23 of 31 for 281yds and 6TDs and no interceptions passing; 9-151 rushing
36 of 61 for 358yds and 4TDs and 1 interception passing; 17-106 rushing
23 of 33 for 289yds and 3TDs and no interceptions passing; 13-54 and 1TD rushing
6 of 15 for 58yds and 2 interceptions passing; 28-287 and 6TDs rushing; 2 returns for 16yds
13 of 20 for 328yds and 6TDs and no interceptions passing; 9-17 rushing
26 of 37 for 363yds and 2TDs and no interceptions passing; 21-60 and 1TD rushing
15 of 24 for 214yds and 4TDs and no interceptions passing; 7-24 and 1TD rushing
29 of 55 for 339yds and 4TDs and 1 interception passing; 6-45 rushing

Guess which one of these stat lines from last week was the only one where the QB did not get conference honors and his team did not win the game?

UNHWildCats
September 18th, 2007, 03:29 PM

OK but if a team loses then shouldnt the player who led the winning team to the W be more deserving of player of the week then the guy who didnt win the game?

FCSFAN
September 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
23 of 31 for 281yds and 6TDs and no interceptions passing; 9-151 rushing
36 of 61 for 358yds and 4TDs and 1 interception passing; 17-106 rushing
23 of 33 for 289yds and 3TDs and no interceptions passing; 13-54 and 1TD rushing
6 of 15 for 58yds and 2 interceptions passing; 28-287 and 6TDs rushing; 2 returns for 16yds
13 of 20 for 328yds and 6TDs and no interceptions passing; 9-17 rushing
26 of 37 for 363yds and 2TDs and no interceptions passing; 21-60 and 1TD rushing
15 of 24 for 214yds and 4TDs and no interceptions passing; 7-24 and 1TD rushing
29 of 55 for 339yds and 4TDs and 1 interception passing; 6-45 rushing

Guess which one of these stat lines from last week was the only one where the QB did not get conference honors and his team did not win the game?Hint: it wasn't the guy who threw for the most yards, ran for the most yards or had the most TDs. xreadx

patssle
September 18th, 2007, 04:06 PM
OK but if a team loses then shouldnt the player who led the winning team to the W be more deserving of player of the week then the guy who didnt win the game?

When the win does become important...then your saying what the defense does has influence on if the offensive player deserves the award or not.

There is no doubt that a win looks better than a loss...but its PLAYER performance...not TEAM performance.Why should the performance of the defense be looked upon when chosing an offensive player's performance? Same visa versa.

And I'm not argueing this just for Bomar's sake...but POTWs in general.

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM
When the win does become important...then your saying what the defense does has influence on if the offensive player deserves the award or not.

There is no doubt that a win looks better than a loss...but its PLAYER performance...not TEAM performance.Why should the performance of the defense be looked upon when chosing an offensive player's performance? Same visa versa.

And I'm not argueing this just for Bomar's sake...but POTWs in general.
You discount the effort of the winning QB by claiming that the defense lost the game. I think it's not the whole picture but it's certainly part of it.

blackfordpu
September 18th, 2007, 04:16 PM
You discount the effort of the winning QB by claiming that the defense lost the game. I think it's not the whole picture but it's certainly part of it.

54 yards in 3 plays in 25 seconds, the defense choked.

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Yep, couldn't have been good plays by the offense. xrolleyesx

FargoBison
September 18th, 2007, 04:21 PM

I'd put it on coaching, Bohl said he couldn't believe the coverage SHSU was using on that first passing play. He also was very suprised by that squib kick. Walker does deserve credit on that TD pass, he had SHSU set up for that one.

WSBE
September 18th, 2007, 05:03 PM
...lost in the debate here is how good Santos performance really was. It's not all about the stats. I think sometimes we think like robots & we don't step back & ask simply "who was the best player of the week". Actually watching someone play is the best way to judge...but of course that's not possible for all candidates. I had this same thought last week when reading a thread on WPA candidates....there was this tone to the thread that Santos was overrated. But I think the reason that Santos gets credit is for anyone that watches him play; he is the best player on the field (if not all FCS fields). Re: the award this week.....don't discount how good Marshall's pass defense is. In their first 2 games, (Miami & West Virginia), they gave up a total of 225 yards & 3 TD passing with 1 interception (combined). Santos went in to that stadium outclassed & undersized...& put up a mistake free 334 yards & 4TD with no picks. Its hard to argue he was not the player of the week for FCS

McNeese75
September 18th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Rewind - 2004 National I-AA Quarterfinals - Eastern Washington defense chokes to lose to Dustin Long and the SHSU Kats in the last minute of the game

Is that how you remember it???? xrolleyesx

patssle
September 18th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Rewind - 2004 National I-AA Quarterfinals - Eastern Washington defense chokes to lose to Dustin Long and the SHSU Kats in the last minute of the game

Is that how you remember it???? xrolleyesx

From Eastern Washington's perspective...yes their defense choked. From our perspective, our offense kicked their ass.

From NDSU's perspective, their offense kicked our ass. From our perspective, our defense choked.

McNeese75
September 19th, 2007, 12:08 AM
From Eastern Washington's perspective...yes their defense choked. From our perspective, our offense kicked their ass.

From NDSU's perspective, their offense kicked our ass. From our perspective, our defense choked.

Fair enough xnodx

citdog
September 19th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Yeah I guess doing it against Marshall and ULL is nothing. xcoffeex Bomar threw nearly as many incompletions as receptions (plus a pick) and Walker of NDSU had more TD passes (with no interceptions).

Duran Lawson? any consideration?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 19th, 2007, 08:46 AM
My big problem with Bomar is that I felt he was out-dueled by Steve Walker in the same game. Who do you consider, the guy who got more yards passing and rushing, but fewer TDs and LOST, or do you give it to the guy that passed for almost 300 yards and got more TDs and WON? (And engineered the game-winning drive in the final minute of the game?)

Walker got more consideration than Bomar. If you're going to judge a QB by the amount of yards passing and rushing he got rather than TDs or wins, Archie Manning would be a first-ballot hall of famer in the NFL.

Lawson for sure got consideration, but Foster's unbelievable performance put him ahead in my mind. Not only did Foster set a school record for 6 TDs, he led that team to 512 yards rushing (257 of which were his) against a team that not that long ago was ranked in the Top 25.

And it's not like we ignored to Southland. Bryan Smith had a huge game against UL-L and had a ton of key plays in the second half to shut them out.

lizrdgizrd
September 19th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Duran Lawson? any consideration?
Who? xeyebrowx

:p