PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky power rankings-After week 3

JALMOND
September 17th, 2007, 08:16 PM
After one conference game last week (Sac State @ Portland State), most teams are playing in the conference this week. With that said, this week's power rankings in the Big Sky...

1. Montana (1)---The Griz took last week off in preparation for this week's game against Albany. With everything going on involving the Big Sky last week, the week off did not hurt them. This week, the Danes come to Wash-Griz (I had it as last week, oops).

2. Montana State (2)---The Cats played Dixie State last week and jerked the welcome mat from their feet. No letdown playing DII this year. The Cats made sure the game was over early. This week, they open up conference play at Weber State.

3. Northern Arizona (3)---The Jacks represented themselves and the conference well with a hard-fought loss at defending national champs (and winner against the Big 10 kingpin Michigan) Appalachian State. The Jacks showed they have the firepower to make some noise in the conference race this year. It all starts this weekend, at home against Northern Colorado.

4. Eastern Washington (4)---Coming out of nowhere, the Eagles took care of UC-Davis last week at Cheney, solidifying their hold at #4 and providing momentum for the conference opener, a road game at Idaho State. Eagles are gelling, can they keep it going?

5. Portland State (5)---Ugly home win, but a win just the same, for the Vikings in the conference opener against Sacramento State. For one week, they can say they are atop the Big Sky, something that did not look possible late in the fourth quarter. This week, going to San Diego for a game against the FBS San Diego State Aztecs. Vikings won against the Mountain West last year. Can they do it again?

6. Weber State (6)---Two games, same result. The game this past week at Cal Poly really was not that different than Boise State. The defense has not stopped anyone and the offense can't seem to get started. Maybe it can change this week with homecoming festivities and Montana State coming to town.

7. Sacramento State (8)---The Hornets had Portland State on the ropes for almost the whole game last week until it just got away from them. Still, a gutsy performance and never say die attitude will do them well the rest of the year. This week, a step up to FBS on the road against New Mexico. Hey, the Vikings beat them last year.

8. Idaho State (7)---A big loss to Pac-10 Oregon State caused the Bengals to drop a spot, along with Sac State's performance in Portland. Good thing it wasn't Cincinnati. This week, they open up conference play by entertaining Eastern Washington.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---Now a big loss by the Bears to FCS non-scholly San Diego has them reeling in Greeley. How much worse can it get? How about going to Northern Arizona, fresh off their performance at Appalachian State?

Once again, these are all my opinion and all are open for discussion.

FCS Go!
September 17th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I agree except I'd have Sac St at #5.1. I think they've "outplayed" Weber St so far, in as much as that is possible after 3 weeks.

I'm really bummed about N. Colorado.xnonono2x

I Bleed Purple
September 17th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I'd be more inclined to put us 8 after listening to the dreck that was the first half...

already123
September 17th, 2007, 10:22 PM
switch Sac and Weber and you've got an accurate list.

kalm
September 17th, 2007, 10:29 PM
After one conference game last week (Sac State @ Portland State), most teams are playing in the conference this week. With that said, this week's power rankings in the Big Sky...

1. Montana (1)---The Griz took last week off in preparation for this week's game against Albany. With everything going on involving the Big Sky last week, the week off did not hurt them. This week, the Danes come to Wash-Griz (I had it as last week, oops).

2. Montana State (2)---The Cats played Dixie State last week and jerked the welcome mat from their feet. No letdown playing DII this year. The Cats made sure the game was over early. This week, they open up conference play at Weber State.

3. Northern Arizona (3)---The Jacks represented themselves and the conference well with a hard-fought loss at defending national champs (and winner against the Big 10 kingpin Michigan) Appalachian State. The Jacks showed they have the firepower to make some noise in the conference race this year. It all starts this weekend, at home against Northern Colorado.

4. Eastern Washington (4)---Coming out of nowhere, the Eagles took care of UC-Davis last week at Cheney, solidifying their hold at #4 and providing momentum for the conference opener, a road game at Idaho State. Eagles are gelling, can they keep it going?

5. Portland State (5)---Ugly home win, but a win just the same, for the Vikings in the conference opener against Sacramento State. For one week, they can say they are atop the Big Sky, something that did not look possible late in the fourth quarter. This week, going to San Diego for a game against the FBS San Diego State Aztecs. Vikings won against the Mountain West last year. Can they do it again?

6. Weber State (6)---Two games, same result. The game this past week at Cal Poly really was not that different than Boise State. The defense has not stopped anyone and the offense can't seem to get started. Maybe it can change this week with homecoming festivities and Montana State coming to town.

7. Sacramento State (8)---The Hornets had Portland State on the ropes for almost the whole game last week until it just got away from them. Still, a gutsy performance and never say die attitude will do them well the rest of the year. This week, a step up to FBS on the road against New Mexico. Hey, the Vikings beat them last year.

8. Idaho State (7)---A big loss to Pac-10 Oregon State caused the Bengals to drop a spot, along with Sac State's performance in Portland. Good thing it wasn't Cincinnati. This week, they open up conference play by entertaining Eastern Washington.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---Now a big loss by the Bears to FCS non-scholly San Diego has them reeling in Greeley. How much worse can it get? How about going to Northern Arizona, fresh off their performance at Appalachian State?

Once again, these are all my opinion and all are open for discussion.

Can we come out nowhere for the rest of the season? Please?xthumbsupx

cats2506
September 18th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Yep, I agree with 123

Bobcat in NC
September 18th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Exactly how I'd have it. xthumbsupx

Ronbo
September 18th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Is this the year Sacramento takes Davis?xconfusedx

Khan4Cats
September 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I think Northern Colorado should be lowered to 10th. They would struggle against a phantom 10th team in the league.

DavisAggie
September 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Is this the year Sacramento takes Davis?xconfusedx

Give the fact we have been D1 for all of three weeks, you would think so, but I highly doubt it. We should have our act together in a couple weeks, back winning games we should win, a pulling out a couple upsets.

But I do have to admit, this years Sacramento State team is one of the better Sacramento State teams I have seen in the past 10 years. Should be a good game as always.

EDIT:

Sac State fans, please read my post from a fan's prospective, I would like to think you would want and believe Sac State is going to win the Sac-Davis game this year.

already123
September 18th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I believe Sac beats Davis this year...

DavisAggie
September 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I believe Sac beats Davis this year...

Well, App. State beat Michigan, so anything can happen xlolx

slostang
September 18th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I would rank the Big Sky at this point this way:

1) UM - Montana returns most of a team that finished 2006 at #3.

2) NAU - Looked good against a Pac-10 team and the #1 FCS team on the raod. Could challenge UM for the Big Sky Championship.

3) MSU - Hard to tell so far because they played way up (Texas A&M) and way down (Dixie State). Rob Ash is a good coach and MSU has some talented players returning from a playoff team in 2006.

4) EWU - Eastern Washington has a good offense and will makes some noise in the Big Sky again this year.

5) PSU - I think as Glanville gets more players up to speed with his system, PSU has a chance to challenge any team in the Big Sky, but consistancy may be a problem.

6) Sac State - Sac State has always had talent, but lacked a good coach. I think they have found one and Sac is on the way up.

7) ISU - Idaho State has a good coach and will get better as the year goes on.

8) WSU - Jimmy Barnes is not as good as advertised. WSU will struggle this year.

9) NC - Northern Colorado once proud program is a shell of it's former self. Do they have the right coach?

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 01:25 PM

2) NAU - Looked good against a Pac-10 team and the #1 FCS team on the raod. Could challenge UM for the Big Sky Championship.

3) MSU - Hard to tell so far because they played way up (Texas A&M) and way down (Dixie State). Rob Ash is a good coach and MSU has some talented players returning from a playoff team in 2006.

4) EWU - Eastern Washington has a good offense and will makes some noise in the Big Sky again this year.

5) PSU - I think as Glanville gets more players up to speed with his system, PSU has a chance to challenge any team in the Big Sky, but consistancy may be a problem.

6) Sac State - Sac State has always had talent, but lacked a good coach. I think they have found one and Sac is on the way up.

8) WSU - Jimmy Barnes is not as good as advertised. WSU will struggle this year.

9) NC - Northern Colorado once proud program is a shell of it's former self. Do they have the right coach?

Spot on. Nice job. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

ncbears
September 18th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Agreed. As for NoCo, I think our best chances for wins are against WSU and ISU. Maybe Sac St.

CrazyCat
September 18th, 2007, 02:28 PM
First it was PSU as the choice to contend with the Griz. Now it is NAU's turn. I'm fine with the 2nd or 3rd spot at this time.

cats2506
September 18th, 2007, 03:33 PM
First it was PSU as the choice to contend with the Griz. Now it is NAU's turn. I'm fine with the 2nd or 3rd spot at this time.

I agree, I think that 2 & 3 right now is a close call between MSU and NAU. I still would pick the Cats but in a few weeks we should have a better idea.

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM

I agree, I think that 2 & 3 right now is a close call between MSU and NAU. I still would pick the Cats but in a few weeks we should have a better idea.

Yeah. I think the whole issue right now is we really don't know what you've got. Once it fleshes out in a few weeks and we have a better idea, you may very well move up.

already123
September 18th, 2007, 10:05 PM
spot on ya'll!

ucdtim17
September 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Of course they're not going to beat us this year.

For those in the Notre Dame thread in other sports, this is also NOT the year Navy beats ND

UNCBears2010
September 18th, 2007, 11:19 PM

No, we don't.xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

USDFAN_55
September 18th, 2007, 11:24 PM
No, we don't.xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

The thing I found intresting at the San Diego game was how pumped up the team (UNC) was in the beginning of the game, and when they got down 21-6 it seemed as though all the players hung their heads as if they were defeated already, and there was tons of game left. I would definitely attribute that to poor coaching. A coach needs to be a leader through the thick and thin, and it didn't seem that way. If he were a leader his players would never think they were defeated until the final whistle blew. Hopefully you guys can find a coach that will lead your team in the right direction.

already123
September 18th, 2007, 11:52 PM
good point....though its hard to when you have been losing for so long. Any coach who takes over that team is in for a challenge in every way

Peems
September 19th, 2007, 01:52 AM
good point....though its hard to when you have been losing for so long. Any coach who takes over that team is in for a challenge in every way

They used to be a powerhouse not too long ago.