PDA

View Full Version : Does Montana Deserve the #2 Ranking?

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I'm reposting this with the poll. I curious to know what other AGS posters think. Based on who Montana's played I think they are over ranked. Beating a DII and SUU isn't deserving of a #2 rank.

andy7171
September 17th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I said no, but only because I have UNI at #2.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM
If you said no then they are ranked to high unless you have them at #1

Black and Gold Express
September 17th, 2007, 02:03 PM
And they've done something to lose that ranking how?

I've never been an advocate of early season poll droppings based on beating inferior teams. The truth is nobody has a clue about any teams really this early in the season. Preseason rankings are, by nature, a guessing game and the first few weeks of the season doesn't change them too much.

FargoBison
I meant yes and not no on the poll.

lizrdgizrd
I think they are ranked too high but we won't really know until at least Oct. 6 th. xnonono2x

Mountain Panther
September 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I'm reposting this with the poll. I curious to know what other AGS posters think. Based on who Montana's played I think they are over ranked. Beating a DII and SUU isn't deserving of a #2 rank.

So how many points does Montana need to score against their BSC opponents to stay #2?

BisonBacker

I've never been an advocate of early season poll droppings based on beating inferior teams. The truth is nobody has a clue about any teams really this early in the season. Preseason rankings are, by nature, a guessing game and the first few weeks of the season doesn't change them too much.

I only brought this up since one Montana Poster said he was going to drop NDSU after they beat a top 15 team in SHSU. Now he can do what he wants thats fine but if he's going to drop NDSU after beating a top 15 team where does Montana have a leg to stand on getting a #2 ranking based on who they have played? I agree with you that its tough to tell early in the season but if your going to play patsies right out of the gate then I question such a high ranking.

DetroitFlyer
Polls are not based on the results on the field.... At least not 100%. Polls are largely based on perceptions and results on the field. Montana is perceived to be a top tier FCS team, based on past history, and the wins this year. They are #2 for the exact same reasons that Yale is #17. Polls are a decent estimate at best. And, they sure are fun to argue about....

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 02:07 PM
So how many points does Montana need to score against their BSC opponents to stay #2?

How many points was NDSU suppose to score against SHSU before they keep the ranking they have/had?

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Polls are not based on the results on the field.... At least not 100%. Polls are largely based on perceptions and results on the field. Montana is perceived to be a top tier FCS team, based on past history, and the wins this year. They are #2 for the exact same reasons that Yale is #17. Polls are a decent estimate at best. And, they sure are fun to argue about....
What! What! You mean you're not really a sycophantic PFL cheerleader! xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xsmiley_wix

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Sat, Sep 1 Southern Utah W 37-17 --
Sat, Sep 8 Fort Lewis W 49-0 --
Sat, Sep 22 Albany 3:05 pm --
Sat, Sep 29 Weber State 3:05 pm --
Sat, Oct 6 Eastern Washington 3:05 pm --
Sat, Oct 13 at Sacramento State 5:05 pm --
Sat, Oct 20 Northern Colorado 3:05 pm --
Sat, Oct 27 at Northern Arizona 6:05 pm --
Sat, Nov 3 Portland State 2:05 pm --
Sat, Nov 10 at Idaho State 5:05 pm --
Sat, Nov 17 at Montana State 2:35 pm

It doesn't matter how much they win by, the other Big Sky teams will have to step it up in order for Montana to prove their ranking.

Tailbone
September 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM
........ does Montana have a leg to stand on getting a #2 ranking based on who they have played? ......

Does that mean you have a problem with NDSU's end of season ranking last year..........based on who they had played (no team in the top 16)? xrolleyesx

Can't have it both ways.

Ivytalk
September 17th, 2007, 02:18 PM

Well said!xthumbsupx

RE/MAXGriz
September 17th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Polls shouldn't be out until week 6, however since they're out right away there's no reason UM shouldn't be #2 until they prove otherwise. Looking at the accomplisments of other 2-0 teams, yeah they're not 2nd in the nation right now, but they earned that ranking based on their team, their results last year and their record this year.

patssle
September 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Montana has beaten 2 cupcake schools. NDSU has beaten a ranked FCS school and another that was picked to finish 2nd in the SLC.

NDSU > Montana

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Does that mean you have a problem with NDSU's end of season ranking last year..........based on who they had played (no team in the top 16)? xrolleyesx

Can't have it both ways.

I'd say NDSU's rank of 5th was earned. NDSU did play 2 FBS teams and 3 ranked FCS teams where Montana has one ranked team currently on their schedule. Lets not forget NDSU also played 6 road games the Griz only have 4.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Polls shouldn't be out until week 6, however since they're out right away there's no reason UM shouldn't be #2 until they prove otherwise. Looking at the accomplisments of other 2-0 teams, yeah they're not 2nd in the nation right now, but they earned that ranking based on their team, their results last year and their record this year.

I would disagree with that. They shouldn't even be playing Fort Lewis and SUU is nothing to brag about. DII UND beat SUU 37-7. Montana didn't even do that. SUU hung around with Montana. #2 ranking is not deserved.

No_Skill
September 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM
ummmmm a poll for a poll???? That's a bit redundant...don't you think?

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Not at all. It's a valid question if your going to look at polls. Besides it's a good time knocking about who and why you rank teams where you do. I just think based on SOS right now Montana is higher then they should be. UNI should be above them. NDSU should be based on who we've played so far. As to the arguement about last year that's out the window. The poll isn't about who you beat last year. We are 3 weeks into the season, granted not all teams have played all three weeks but still. Based on this years games played so far they are too high.

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM
It's the AGS Department of Redundancy Department. xnodx

Mountain Panther
September 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Montana has beaten 2 cupcake schools. NDSU has beaten a ranked FCS school and another that was picked to finish 2nd in the SLC.

NDSU > Montana

I am fine with Montana being #2....BUT IF THEY WERE NOT, it should go to UNI, not NDSU, as one of our wins was a FBS opponent on the road.

No_Skill
September 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I am fine with Montana being #2....BUT IF THEY WERE NOT, it should go to UNI, not NDSU, as one of our wins was a FBS opponent on the road.

Also redundant. xlolx

Has and FBS team ever played at an FCS team?

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM

I'm with you Mountain, I have had UNI #2 since they took down Iowa State. Winning at SDSU is also nice since they are always tough at home and they are also a lot better then their 0-3 record.

Mountain Panther
September 17th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Also redundant. xlolx

Shush! It sounds more dramatic the way I wrote it.

Ivytalk
September 17th, 2007, 02:32 PM
It's the AGS Department of Redundancy Department. xnodx

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

RabidRabbit
September 17th, 2007, 02:33 PM
When I made projections about each team for the pre-season, it was based on their schedules, and expected wins and loses.

Montana HAS TO WIN ALL Games to be a top 5, because of a soft schedule.

Several schools have won FBS games that I felt they would lose (in my predictions). Therefore, with tougher schedules, and unanticipated wins vs FBS or higher ranked opponents, UNI, McNeese, UNH, App St. are higher in their rankings. IF NDSU beats Central MI, then they'll be "up", because I expect that Bison will fall to Central MI.

Likewise, SDSU, Tx St., and Portland St. have fallen due to the losses that they couldn't afford, and not matching expectations.

Tailbone
September 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Does Montana Deserve the #2 Ranking?

Do you think Montana is ranked to high based on who they have played?

xconfusedx

Isn't this a well designed poll?
The thread topic and poll question are not in agreement.
(Example) The answer to the question posed by the thread topic is 'yes', the answer to the poll question is 'no' (depending on your opinion of course).

Do you also compose the wording on ballot measures? xidiotx xnutsx

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM

xconfusedx

(Example) The answer to the question posed by the thread topic is 'yes', the answer to the poll question is 'no' (depending on your opinion of course).

Its secretly a reading comprehension test! xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM
It's a little high, but maybe by just 1 or 2 places.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 02:37 PM

No arguement with that at all. I do believe you should be ranked higher then Montana.

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM
i also have UNI #2 and Massachusetts jumped Montana this week to #3

Ivytalk
September 17th, 2007, 02:41 PM
i also have UNI #2 and Massachusetts jumped Montana this week to #3

"Pawn jumps queen! Bishop jumps queen! Mass jumps Montana! GANG BANG!!!":D :p

putter
September 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Also redundant. xlolx

Yes, ask Idaho about coming to Missoula after going to the BS.

I have Montana at #5 right now because of the problems that they had last year on the O-Line and I want to see how the QB Bergquist handles taking the lead. They were a semi-final team last year that returned a lot of starters so that puts them in the top 5 and time will tell where they will end up.

da_Bison
September 17th, 2007, 02:45 PM
It really doesn't matter where a team is rank right now, take care of business and the rankings will take care of themselves, if not thats why we have a playoff system. If Montana is deserving of the #2 rank sooner or later we will all know. period... I personally think its no problem with me at this point..

WUTNDITWAA
September 17th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I have UNI at No. 2, but it's because of what UNI has done, not because of what Montana hasn't (or has yet) to do.

Montana is a dang good team, and all this debate enforces, is that this is shaping up to be the best year for the top of I-AA/FCS football in a number of seasons. And we're all the better for it. xnodx

No_Skill
September 17th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I think we Bison fans are putting a ton of stock in the polls right now, because it's all we have to hang our hats on. I for one, raised my eyebrow when we dropped a spot this week.

Oh well, next year the pain of sitting by the playoff sidelines goes away.

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 02:53 PM
How many points was NDSU suppose to score against SHSU before they keep the ranking they have/had?

It wasn't a question of how many they needed to score. It was a question of how many they gave up. xeyebrowx

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Can't have it both ways.

Actually in their minds, they can Tailbone. xrolleyesx

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I would disagree with that. They shouldn't even be playing Fort Lewis and SUU is nothing to brag about. DII UND beat SUU 37-7. Montana didn't even do that. SUU hung around with Montana. #2 ranking is not deserved.

Did you watch that game? Or are you going on final score only? And, apparently, you know nothing of Bobby Hauck's coaching philosophy. They could have scored 50 on SUU. In fact, they bascially kneeled the final 2 minutes of the game with their 3rd (and 4th) stringers in the game, and the game ended with the Griz on the SUU 5 yard line. Would you feel better about Montana if they'd completely EMBARRASSED your conference mates and punched in that last, meaningless, touchdown? Would 45-17 look more "impressive" to you and make Montana more deserving of the #2 ranking?

xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

slostang
September 17th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Can't have it both ways.

They beat a top #16 team last year. NDSU beat Cal Poly last year 51-14 a week after Cal Poly lost to Montana 10-9.

I do think that Montana is a top five team this year based on who they have returning off a team that was 12-2 and went to the semi-finals last year.

Col Hogan
September 17th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Based on that arguement, they should be third...

mlbowl
September 17th, 2007, 03:04 PM

They've been ranked #2 since the pre-season poll....What have they done to drop???xrolleyesx

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 03:05 PM
They've been ranked #2 since the pre-season poll....What have they done to drop???xrolleyesx
Could it be that others have done something worth moving up? xeyebrowx

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 03:08 PM

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM

So that begs the question then, is NAU really that good, or is ASU human? xeyebrowx

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM

xconfusedx

If you don't like the message don't shoot the messanger. Your personal attack's pretty much tell the tale about you. I've seen others who have posted questioning the almighty griz and all you do is attack with negative comments. Turn off the computer and relax, come back and post when you can debate without getting personal. xnonox

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Thank you Lizrdgizrd. A reasonable Griz fan and a valid comment.

th0m
September 17th, 2007, 03:15 PM

NDSU > Montana

You could say a team that's picked to finish 2nd in the SLC, or you could say a team that has both of its wins coming from sub-DI competition...

You're basically basing a ranking on another ranking. To continue with the redundancy...

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM
It wasn't a question of how many they needed to score. It was a question of how many they gave up. xeyebrowx

A valid point. I also wonder how many Bomar would put up on the Griz. It's more then you think I bet. After watching him in person if your going to drop the Bison based on that then I'd say your assumptions are wrong about the Bison. Bomar would put up points on a lot of top 10 teams in FCS. The guy is unreal.

FCSFAN
September 17th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I bet the results of this thread poll will be skewed because the thread and the poll question are opposite.

I read the thread title and voted yes but I should've voted no to the poll question.

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Thank you Lizrdgizrd. A reasonable Griz fan and a valid comment.

While I realize that deep down we're ALL Griz fans, Lizrd is really an App State fan.... ;) ;) ;) ;)

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I bet the results of this thread poll will be skewed because the thread and the poll question are opposite.

I read the thread title and voted yes but I should've voted no to the poll question.

Yep. I voted Yes as well, and should have voted no to the ACTUAL question.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 03:27 PM
They beat a top #16 team last year. NDSU beat Cal Poly last year 51-14 a week after Cal Poly lost to Montana 10-9.

I do think that Montana is a top five team this year based on who they have returning off a team that was 12-2 and went to the semi-finals last year.

Come on slostang don't confuse em with those facts. They don't bode well for them being #2.

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Come on slostang don't confuse em with those facts. They don't bode well for them being #2.

Yes. There's nothing like using the transitive argument for proving your ignorance. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 03:28 PM

Apparently reading comprehension wasn't taught in Montana ;)

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Apparently reading comprehension wasn't taught in Montana ;)

Or Chicago, apparently.

Nice bait and switch, by the way. Anything to help the cause, huh Backer? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

You're living proof that you really CAN get stats to say anything you want.

grizwin
September 17th, 2007, 03:30 PM

I need further explanation here. You think The Grizz are weaker this year than last year? 4 retruning O line and the one thats not returning is rpelaaced bu Oklahomas Quin(in week 4). Deeper at RB with hilliard back and all skill back with QB who some think is better. Explain why the returnes this year make you think Montana is not as good. BDs being replced by 1a talent. Please tell me why with what Griz have returning off a 12-2 semis team don deserve a top 5 ranking??

People can argue all day whether Grizz should be 2-3-4-5 whatever but past popularity gets ya ranked high this early. Like was LSU the best until USC beat up braska now they are the best eventhough OU blasted Miami. Goes in a circle about who YOU think is good. Do i believe at 11-0 that Grizz wold be the 2 seed yes. Would the desreve a 2 if some of the others go 11-0 who knows BUT we shall see how it goes

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I need further explanation here. You think The Grizz are weaker this year than last year? 4 retruning O line and the one thats not returning is rpelaaced bu Oklahomas Quin(in week 4). Deeper at RB with hilliard back and all skill back with QB who some think is better. Explain why the returnes this year make you think Montana is not as good. BDs being replced by 1a talent. Please tell me why with what Griz have returning off a 12-2 semis team don deserve a top 5 ranking??

People can argue all day whether Grizz should be 2-3-4-5 whatever but past popularity gets ya ranked high this early. Like was LSU the best until USC beat up braska now they are the best eventhough OU blasted Miami. Goes in a circle about who YOU think is good. Do i believe at 11-0 that Grizz wold be the 2 seed yes. Would the desreve a 2 if some of the others go 11-0 who knows BUT we shall see how it goes

Dude,

Do us ALL a favor and run these through spellcheck before you post. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Yes. There's nothing like using the transitive argument for proving your ignorance. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
At this point, all the Griz have is goodwill. Face it, you've played teams you should have beat and beat them. Good job, big deal. You guys haven't done anything yet to deserve the #2 spot. You're there based on previous results and everyone's predictions of what you'll do this year. Nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is. It's like selling stocks short because you expect them to be worth less later - only this is in the other direction. xpeacex

grizwin
September 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Dude,

Do us ALL a favor and run these through spellcheck before you post. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Had to Hurry

89Hen
September 17th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I said yes since I have them there. xsmiley_wix

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 03:40 PM
At this point, all the Griz have is goodwill. Face it, you've played teams you should have beat and beat them. Good job, big deal. You guys haven't done anything yet to deserve the #2 spot. You're there based on previous results and everyone's predictions of what you'll do this year. Nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is. It's like selling stocks short because you expect them to be worth less later - only this is in the other direction. xpeacex

And 2 games into the season 3/4 of the poll is operating on "goodwill". Besides, that's not the transitive argument I was referring to....it's NDSU fans insistence that because the Griz ONLY beat CP 10-9, and they beat them the next week 51-whatever, that by some logic chain that escapes anyone with a brainstem NDSU should be ranked ahead of the Griz THIS year.

Well, there's 100 odd voters, and apparently the majority don't feel that way. Personally, I could care less where they Griz are ranked. I've just made it my mission in life to shoot holes in the ridiculous arguments propped up by jealous NDSU fans. xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 03:45 PM
And 2 games into the season 3/4 of the poll is operating on "goodwill". Besides, that's not the transitive argument I was referring to....it's NDSU fans insistence that because the Griz ONLY beat CP 10-9, and they beat them the next week 51-whatever, that by some logic chain that escapes anyone with a brainstem NDSU should be ranked ahead of the Griz THIS year.

Well, there's 100 odd voters, and apparently the majority don't feel that way. Personally, I could care less where they Griz are ranked. I've just made it my mission in life to shoot holes in the ridiculous arguments propped up by jealous NDSU fans. xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx

Nowhere did I state that NDSU should be ahead of the Griz. I only brought up the score from last year as some griz fans have suggested they deserve the ranking in part due to last years team. Jealous of the Griz, absolutely not. I don't give a rats ass about seeing Fort Lewis. Like I said in another post I'd much rather base my opinions on playing FCS teams and ranked teams no less. Your arguement is a joke if your going to say that they deserve the ranking based on who they have played this year. UNI should be ahead of them. Face it Montana gets a pass because they are Montana and in some people's mind thats a good thing but you don't get a pass from me just because your Montana. You don't like it so as you say you try to shoot holes in anyone who questions that. So tell everyone here on AGS how you support the #2 rank based on SUU and Fort Lewis, please I can't wait to hear this.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 17th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I assume we are talking about the AGS poll which is made up of the individual opinions of the voters on this site. If that's the case then a lot of people must think MT should remain where they are. I think UNI and Mass are deserving of the #2 as well so that would be a tough call for me. Since we're talking about moving people down based on strength of the opponents they have played why would NDSU feel so good about being taken to the mat and having to get a comeback victory over a team that has played two D2 teams and one of those D2's took them to the mat at home? You can't have it both ways, can you?

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 03:48 PM
One more thing since you brought it up. If your going to base the rank on who both teams have played yes NDSU should be ahead of Montana.
Lets see Fort Lewis and SUU or SFA and SHSU. Who are the better teams? Go ahead and tell me why Fort Lewis and SUU are better wins for Montana then SFA and SHSU for the Bison. This should be good.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I assume we are talking about the AGS poll which is made up of the individual opinions of the voters on this site. If that's the case then a lot of people must think MT should remain where they are. I think UNI and Mass are deserving of the #2 as well so that would be a tough call for me. Since we're talking about moving people down based on strength of the opponents they have played why would NDSU feel so good about being taken to the mat and having to get a comeback victory over a team that has played to D2 teams and one of those D2's took them to the mat at home? You can't have it both ways, can you?

That team was ranked #14 thats why.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM
One more thing since you brought it up. If your going to base the rank on who both teams have played yes NDSU should be ahead of Montana.
Lets see Fort Lewis and SUU or SFA and SHSU. Who are the better teams? Go ahead and tell me why Fort Lewis and SUU are better wins for Montana then SFA and SHSU for the Bison. This should be good.

We're 2-0 and piss punded our two teams without trying very hard. You are 2-0 and barely scraped by.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 17th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Yes that is true. It begs the original question though. Why were they ranked so high? According to the criteria set forth they shoudn't have been.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 04:06 PM
We're 2-0 and piss punded our two teams without trying very hard. You are 2-0 and barely scraped by.

OMFG your comparing Fort Lewis and SUU to SFA and SHSU xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
Thanks for the comedy I really needed that this afternoon. Now lets get back to some serious posting please. What a funny guy. xnodx

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Michigan was ranked 5th. How's that worked out for them so far? :p

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 04:10 PM

That must be why SUU hung with you guys till the second half? I missed that the first time I read it. Do you write comedy for anyone? I have to think your a comedy writer. Or maybe you should go tell that to the team, I can hear it now.
Hey guys I know you really weren't trying to hard so it's ok that you only beat so and so by this much but could you please try a littler harder, oh lets say about 60% next week. Lets save the 100% till we get past the cupcakes. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
September 17th, 2007, 04:11 PM
OMFG your comparing Fort Lewis and SUU to SFA and SHSU xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
Thanks for the comedy I really needed that this afternoon. Now lets get back to some serious posting please. What a funny guy. xnodx

Yes I am funny. I am not telling you they are comparative. I am speculating on what others are doing and why they are doing it. You are welcome.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Oh and by the way NDSU really only was playing at about 40%, they really weren't trying that hard. Give me a freakin break.xoopsx

ursus arctos horribilis
September 17th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Oh and by the way NDSU really only was playing at about 40%, they really weren't trying that hard. Give me a freakin break.xoopsx

I'm using your logic and you apparently don't appreciate it although you are telling me you do. You got taken to the mat at home by a team that got taken to the mat at home by ANGELO STATE. I wasn't saying it wasn't a good win for you guys. I was applying your logic to your situation.

DuckDuckGriz
September 17th, 2007, 04:22 PM
The rankings really don't mean isht until November. I don't know what this Bison dude's obsession is but if he's losing sleep at night because the Griz are #2 let him do so. NDSU fans can only worry about polls because they cannot make the playoffs (yes I know because they are ineligible), but it's the truth.

And BisonBacker, after 2 opponents your argument, nor will a Montana fan's argument mean isht either. I don't think the Griz have done much to lose that #2 ranking and the Bison aren't looking to dissapoint either, but I don't think you can drop Montana just becaus the two teams they blew-out weren't up to your standards. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, get a hobby. ;)

Ronbo
September 17th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Our starters have played less than a game (less than a half in the two games) with the second, third, and fourth stringers playing more than a full game. We've played all 73 suited players in the two games. The second stringers played alot in the first half against SUU which I didn't agree with. I thought we should have left the starters in till we got up at least 27 points or so, but Bobby likes to play the backups. I didn't really like it that Bobby played the scrubs so early and so often against SUU and let them hang around. But when we needed to put the pedal down it was bang, see you. I have the feeling that NDSU played their first teamers 90% of the two games so far and the second stringers have very little game experience and the third stringers have none. There is no substitute for real game experience and by season's end you better be three deep with game experience or you will be out gunned by teams with deep rosters.xnodx

PDXCat
September 17th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Sure they do. Until someone beats them or proves they don't belong. Thats how polls work Bisonbackers. In the beginning they don't have to "earn" their spot. They have done nothing to date that should make them fall in the rankings. Now after they lose a few games, sure xsmiley_wix . Anyway, why are the Bison even ranked at all? You guys aren't eligible for any real title yet and so these rankings are only for feel good purposes.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 17th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Our starters have played less than a game (less than a half in the two games) with the second, third, and fourth stringers playing more than a full game. We've played all 73 suited players in the two games. The second stringers played alot in the first half against SUU which I didn't agree with. I thought we should have left the starters in till we got up at least 27 points or so, but Bobby likes to play the backups. I didn't really like it that Bobby played the scrubs so early and so often against SUU and let them hang around. But when we needed to put the pedal down it was bang, see you. I have the feeling that NDSU played their first teamers 90% of the two games so far and the second stringers have very little game experience and the third stringer haver none. There is no substitute for real game experience and by season's end you better be three deep with game experience or you will be out gunned by teams with deep rosters.xnodx

That's what I meant when saying "not trying very hard" but thanks as I didn't want to have to type all that out and tried to sum it up for BB in short form. I do like to be able to make the challenged laugh though.

89Hen
September 17th, 2007, 04:30 PM
The rankings really don't mean isht until November.
xnodx xthumbsupx

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Our starters have played less than a game (less than a half in the two games) with the second, third, and fourth stringers playing more than a full game. We've played all 73 suited players in the two games. The second stringers played alot in the first half against SUU which I didn't agree with. I thought we should have left the starters in till we got up at least 27 points or so, but Bobby likes to play the backups. I didn't really like it that Bobby played the scrubs so early and so often against SUU and let them hang around. But when we needed to put the pedal down it was bang, see you. I have the feeling that NDSU played their first teamers 90% of the two games so far and the second stringers have very little game experience and the third stringers have none. There is no substitute for real game experience and by season's end you better be three deep with game experience or you will be out gunned by teams with deep rosters.xnodx

Something can also be said about playing a challanging schedule and how that prepares you for the playoffs....The Griz are a playoff lock, they will only lose 1 game max with the schedule they have and playoff time is when this schedule could come home to roost.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 04:40 PM
The rankings really don't mean isht until November. I don't know what this Bison dude's obsession is but if he's losing sleep at night because the Griz are #2 let him do so. NDSU fans can only worry about polls because they cannot make the playoffs (yes I know because they are ineligible), but it's the truth.

And BisonBacker, after 2 opponents your argument, nor will a Montana fan's argument mean isht either. I don't think the Griz have done much to lose that #2 ranking and the Bison aren't looking to dissapoint either, but I don't think you can drop Montana just becaus the two teams they blew-out weren't up to your standards. We'll see what happens.

Point well taken but my point is that UNI has done more to move up in the polls to justify the #2 spot as opposed to Montana playing who they have and remaining at #2. Other teams can play better competition and beat them while you play Fort Lewis and SUU and maintain? I don't agree with that. I only brought this up since a Montana poster was ridiculing who NDSU has played and was going to drop them lower in the poll. He can do that it doesn't mean isht to me either but that's flawed logic considering who you guys have played.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Something can also be said about playing a challanging schedule and how that prepares you for the playoffs....The Griz are a playoff lock, they will only lose 1 game max with the schedule they have and playoff time is when this schedule could come home to roost.

Spot on my friend. I find it hilarious that a Montana poster complains they are playing the scrubs. Two years in a row Montana has played fort lewis. Total scoring is in excess of 100 points in those two games for Montana while this juggernaut Fort Lewis hasn't so much as scored a Field Goal. Don't schedule DII's, instead schedule a worthy opponent and your second and third stringers won't see that much playing time. Oh wait that's right I remember the other arguement about scheduling Montana. Forget it I won't bother to go there.

Ronbo
September 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Then there is the argument regarding injuries. Last season we started with Iowa and lost our QB with a broken hand and Punter with a knee (season ending). Then we played SDSU and lost our starting RB for the season. This year we have zero injuries, totally healthy. And we have tons of 2nd and 3rd string game experience. We'll face good teams in EWU, NAU, MSU, PSU, and Sac. State is looking pretty good. We'll be battle tested.xnodx

Gil Dobie
September 17th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I dropped Montana a notch because SIU won a road game at SUU and Montana had them at home with similar results. Otherwise I don't have a problem with Montana at #2. And an FYI, I had NDSU at #8.

Montanan
September 17th, 2007, 04:57 PM
It really doesn't matter where a team is rank right now, take care of business and the rankings will take care of themselves, if not thats why we have a playoff system...

in total agreement with da_Bison, way to early to be concerned with polls/ranking. the FCS with it's playoff system works just fine!

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Then there is the argument regarding injuries. Last season we started with Iowa and lost our QB with a broken hand and Punter with a knee (season ending). Then we played SDSU and lost our starting RB for the season. This year we have zero injuries, totally healthy. And we have tons of 2nd and 3rd string game experience. We'll face good teams in EWU, NAU, MSU, PSU, and Sac. State is looking pretty good. We'll be battle tested.xnodx

NAU has looked good and MSU has been ok(Dixie State is garbage but they played ok against Texas A&M). EWU and PSU are showing some signs but the book is still out on them IMO. I would keep Sac State out of the equation for now, they play @ UNM and NAU over the next two weeks so we will know more about them after that.

As for injuries, I have seen players tear an ACL in non-contact practices. They can happen at anytime, there is no reason to schedule down to avoid them.

grizbeer
September 17th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Two years in a row Montana has played fort lewis. Total scoring is in excess of 100 points in those two games for Montana while this juggernaut Fort Lewis hasn't so much as scored a Field Goal. Don't schedule DII's, instead schedule a worthy opponent and your second and third stringers won't see that much playing time. Oh wait that's right I remember the other arguement about scheduling Montana. Forget it I won't bother to go there.Montana didn't play Ft. Lewis last year, it was 2005 (the week before they played Oregon).

Last year Montana's OOC schedule was @ Iowa, and home against South Dakota State and Cal Poly.

Not that it matter to your argument, but I thought you might want to have your facts straight.

putter
September 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I don't think they scheduled down to avoid injury. They scheduled 2 FCS teams and a D2 and just because most people don't like the perceived quality of those FCS teams doesn't mean it is a bad schedule. Remember Montana has played at Oregon and at Iowa for the last two years.

Fact is Montana could have scored more on SUU and Ft. Lewis but our coach isn't like that but I think ranking Montana anywhere in the top 10 at this point is fair.

Grizo406
September 17th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Michigan was ranked 5th. How's that worked out for them so far? :p

App State drove a Hyundai into the Big House, and left in an $80,000 BMW. I say it worked out pretty well for them!

putter
September 17th, 2007, 05:19 PM
App State drove a Hyundai into the Big House, and left in an $80,000 BMW. I say it worked out pretty well for them!

I wonder how Lloyd is doing without his BMW? xlolx

NDSUFREAK
September 17th, 2007, 05:20 PM

and you won't have to deal with Rhett Bomar...

Tailbone
September 17th, 2007, 05:22 PM
......You're there based on previous results and everyone's predictions of what you'll do this year. Nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is. ....

And on what basis do you suppose App state was the preseason #1?

The point is, at this point, it is ALL speculation.
Only time will tell.

Peems
September 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM
The Griz could be ranked 18th and I wouldn't really care. If the Griz win the Big Sky and finish with a good record, we make the playoffs and hopefully make it to Chattanooga.

Green26
September 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Montana is ranked high because of the players they return, their depth, where they ended up last year (3rd), and their reputation for being good every year. Generally, teams don't drop in polls for beating weaker teams. Apparently, BisonBacker hasn't been around football enough to know that.

On offense, they had to replace only their qb and their center. The "new" qb started most of his frosh year, and was picked 1st team all-conference on the pre-season team. On the o-line, UM returns 6 players with a significant number of starts last year, and adds Quinn, the OK transfer. Hilliard and Coleman return to action at running back. All receivers, tight ends and other backs return, altho Chambers looks like a question mark (and I don't expect him to return).

On defense, they had to replace a d-end (2 of the 3 starters graduated), d-tackle and 2 corners (including Wilson who is in jail in Ca.). The d-end replacement is a 260 pounder who returns after a year off for surgery. The d-tackles have lots of depth and talent. One corner is the expected starter and doing well. The other corner started as a true frosh, and then had academic and injury problems. A true frosh is the third corner, and probably the most talented corner recruited in recent history. The 3 transfers are behind these 3. The returning safeties were both first team all-conference last year, and the top 6 linebackers, 5 of whom are seniors, return from last year.

The Griz depth is the best it's ever been. They have been platooning on defense for many years, and say they will platoon on the o-line this year. They have at least 10 good, and big, o-lineman. Coach Hauck likes to be physical and wear down other teams. It looks like the Griz will probably be more physical this year, and be able to wear teams down even more this year.

Some fans, even Griz fans, don't seem to understand that platooning has a significant impact on games. In the early parts of the season, platooning can cause the team to not play as well as they could in the first 2 or 3 quarters, because it's rare that the backups as quite as good as the starters. However, as the second half progresses and as the season progresses, the platooning pays dividends because the Griz wear down opponents and develop even further depth.

Coach Hauck's goal is to have his team hitting on all cylinders, and as healthy as possible, by November. He coaches to win the conference and to be strong and peaking by playoff time.

Whether UM deserves to be no. 2 or not, who knows and really who should care at this point. They are definitely top 5, and I think they will be no. 1 or no. 2 at the end of the season. I think App. St. might get knocked off, and I wonder if Armanti Edwards will have further injury issues after he returns.

Col Hogan
September 17th, 2007, 06:19 PM
1. Should the AGS poll be based solely on the teams on-field performance for the current season?

2. Should the poll take into acount the opponents status (FCS/FBS/DII/Ranked/Not Ranked)?

3. Should last years performance be taken into account when voting for a team?

I say (1) YES, (2) Yes, (3) No.

So, IMHO, Appy is # 1, UNI is # 2, and Montana is a Top 10 team...

Will Montana eventually be #2...we'll see...

And, I feel a team can fall even if they win if another team performs at a higher level...like beat an FCS team...

Green26
September 17th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Okay, djp, let me try to figure this out. Let's come up with a hypothetical first weekend schedule. App. St. plays its D-II neighbor in its first game, and wins big. UNI beats Iowa St. Montana beats SU by 30. UMass beats Holy Cross by 20. Northern Colorado beats Idaho. The rankings would then be: UNI, Northern Colorado, Montana, UMass and App. St. Okay, I get it. Nice idea. Glad no one agrees with you.

FCS Go!
September 17th, 2007, 06:54 PM
The rankings ......... NDSU fans can only worry about polls because they cannot make the playoffs ......

I think that's the real story here. xcoffeex

GrizzlyEdd
September 17th, 2007, 06:56 PM
This is a silly poll and topic in my mind.... AGS has already done their poll and a majority of pollsters have agreed that MT deserves the #2 ranking... Says so right on the poll.... so my answer to the question posed by this thread is YES, MT DESERVES #2 BASED ON A MAJORITY OF AGS POLLSTERS.... that should answer that question don't ya think...xconfusedxxrolleyesx

Col Hogan
September 17th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Okay, djp, let me try to figure this out. Let's come up with a hypothetical first weekend schedule. App. St. plays its D-II neighbor in its first game, and wins big. UNI beats Iowa St. Montana beats SU by 30. UMass beats Holy Cross by 20. Northern Colorado beats Idaho. The rankings would then be: UNI, Northern Colorado, Montana, UMass and App. St. Okay, I get it. Nice idea. Glad no one agrees with you.

Why do it with a hypothetical schedule....do it with the first three weeks, then come back and let's talk...xcoffeex

CopperCat
September 17th, 2007, 06:59 PM

They haven't DONE anything to deserve that ranking yet as it is, but that's just me I guess.xrolleyesx

GrizzlyEdd
September 17th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Well hell..... Northern Arizona played AppySt closer than Michigan, and also played a FBS team in AZ and played they close... sure they were losses, but WHAT team can say they have played our #1 team closer than anyone else this year... hell even better than the #5 FBS at that time... maybe they should be #2....xnodxxlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
September 17th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I think that's the real story here. xcoffeex

That's the real story for a few of the Bison fans but most of them are able to see what is in store for them in the future and are pretty level headed.

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Point well taken but my point is that UNI has done more to move up in the polls to justify the #2 spot as opposed to Montana playing who they have and remaining at #2. Other teams can play better competition and beat them while you play Fort Lewis and SUU and maintain? I don't agree with that. I only brought this up since a Montana poster was ridiculing who NDSU has played and was going to drop them lower in the poll. He can do that it doesn't mean isht to me either but that's flawed logic considering who you guys have played.

Dude. TAKE a valium. I can only assume you're talking about me, since I'm the only Montana poster than I know of that admitted I dropped NDSU in the polls. I wasn't ridiculing WHO you played....it's HOW you played them----AT HOME, that made me go xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx . I guessin' your 3rd and 4th stringers weren't in there runnin' out the play clock against SHSU, were they? That's how it's been in both of our games. And yea, we only beat Ft Lewis 49-0, but it could have been 70-0. SUU could have been 50-15 had we kept our starters in. Apparently that would have impressed you more. BH likes to get his youngsters some game experience, at the expense of big hairy blowouts. So, when you get to game 6-7 in the season and you come back with the lame-ass transitive argument "yeah, well you only beat SUU 37-17, while we POUNDED them 50-7. BFD. Win the battles...go ahead. We'll win the war, thank you very much.

Rank us 20th. I really don't care. Just stop stressing about it. You'll give yourself a heart attack.... xpeacex

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 08:30 PM
They haven't DONE anything to deserve that ranking yet as it is, but that's just me I guess.xrolleyesx

Apparently it IS just you. And Bisonbacker. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

CopperCat
September 17th, 2007, 08:35 PM

Then take off the blinders.

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 08:39 PM

Well, I guess the Bobcats haven't done anything to warrant THEIR ranking either, but there they are....what to do, what to do.... xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 08:42 PM

so, if I have blinders on, what does that say about 89Hen, TexasTerror, OL FU, and all the others who have voted Montana in the "Who'd you vote #2" Poll?

Do we ALL have blinders on? Or maybe it's just your blind hatred. Think about it, and get back to me. xthumbsupx

MaxASU'81
September 17th, 2007, 08:44 PM
So true about preseason rankings. Let it settle out a few weeks until conf. seasons get cranked. Then look back. I think UNA will give Montana fits but who knows. Montana seems to have that way of winning the close ones. Their conf. is always tough and travel is nasty at times.
One thing for sure.....I sure wish we had Notre Dame on our schedule....any year. They are so overrated all the time pre-, during, and post-season. Quinn must have been better than we all thought!

SoCon48
September 17th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Well hell..... Northern Arizona played AppySt closer than Michigan, and also played a FBS team in AZ and played they close... sure they were losses, but WHAT team can say they have played our #1 team closer than anyone else this year... hell even better than the #5 FBS at that time... maybe they should be #2....xnodxxlolx

Yeah, I thought NAU did a good job vs ASU's back up QB. NAU's offense isn't too shabby.

blur2005
September 17th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I have Montana at #4 so I answered no. Granted, I don't actually know if there's anything that says Montana doesn't deserve it but I answered no because I think there are a couple teams that deserve #2 MORE than Montana based on what we've seen so far this season, particularly UNI, who is my #2 team.

patssle
September 17th, 2007, 09:10 PM
They haven't DONE anything to deserve that ranking yet

I would disagree with this. They may deserve it...but other schools deserve it MORE. Like UNI.

GOKATS
September 17th, 2007, 09:13 PM
So true about preseason rankings. Let it settle out a few weeks until conf. seasons get cranked. Then look back. I think UNA will give Montana fits but who knows. Montana seems to have that way of winning the close ones. Their conf. is always tough and travel is nasty at times.
One thing for sure.....I sure wish we had Notre Dame on our schedule....any year. They are so overrated all the time pre-, during, and post-season. Quinn must have been better than we all thought!

Who the hell is UNA on the griz schedule..............and oh yea, the griz are really going to schedule a game with Notre Dame (probably at wa/griz, right?).

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM
That's what I meant when saying "not trying very hard" but thanks as I didn't want to have to type all that out and tried to sum it up for BB in short form. I do like to be able to make the challenged laugh though.

You shouldn't be talking about challenged with the ignorant comments you have made. Ahh we really didn't try that hard. Do you realize just how stupid you sound saying that?

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Sorry to the PSU fans but Ronbo you can't be serious. Especially with the Sac State comment. Good god man get some oxygen and breathe before you type foolish comments like saying Sac State is looking good. If that makes you feel better about your schedule have at it but Sac State would struggle with SUU.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I don't think they scheduled down to avoid injury. They scheduled 2 FCS teams and a D2 and just because most people don't like the perceived quality of those FCS teams doesn't mean it is a bad schedule. Remember Montana has played at Oregon and at Iowa for the last two years.

Fact is Montana could have scored more on SUU and Ft. Lewis but our coach isn't like that but I think ranking Montana anywhere in the top 10 at this point is fair.

Most certainly it is fair I just pointed out that #2 IMHO was too high based on who you have played so far in comparison to other teams ie. UNI

Tailbone
September 17th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Who the hell is UNA on the griz schedule..............and oh yea, the griz are really going to schedule a game with Notre Dame (probably at wa/griz, right?).

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

I'm tempted to suggest that you sign up for a remedial reading class.
But I won't.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 09:59 PM

Dude you have no clue, he was talking about Montana not NDSU, you have just proved your ignorance. xlolx xlolx

Tailbone
September 17th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Dude you have no clue, he was talking about Montana not NDSU, you have just proved your ignorance. xlolx xlolx

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Dude! It's obvious that he was referring to Montana...and his comment makes perfect sense to everyone except......well, Backer, I think you're alone on this one.

Who's clueless?

Reread the thread. xoopsx

mvemjsunpx
September 17th, 2007, 10:18 PM
The entire premise of this poll is faulty.

You ask "Do you think Montana is ranked to high based on who they have played?"
Polls are based on how good the voters think each team is, not on how strong their schedules are. If the polls were voted based on perceived schedule strength, then Southern Utah, Sacramento State, & Nicholls State should be in the top 5.

Montana was supposed to convincingly beat their first two opponents & they did just that. Therefore, their ranking should theoretically remain the same as it was initially. There have been no real surprises involving the Griz yet.

Tailbone
September 17th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Why is it that SOME NDSU fans think Montana is undeserving of their #2 ranking on the basis of "who they played", yet have no trouble justifying NDSU's end of season ranking based on the same yardstick?

This was the 2006 playoff field. Will someone please identify which of these teams were beaten by the Bison.

Massachusetts
Lafayette
New Hampshire
Hampton
Montana State
Furman
Illinois State
Eastern Illinois
Montana
McNeese State
Southern Illinois
Tennessee-Martin
Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Youngstown State
James Madison

None of them? Yet a top 5 ranking is justified? If there is no objective criteria, then any will do.

All hail the xbowx2006 Bisonxbowx.....xbowxthe best team in the land.xbowx

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Why is it that SOME NDSU fans think Montana is undeserving of their #2 ranking on the basis of "who they played", yet have no trouble justifying NDSU's end of season ranking based on the same yardstick?

This was the 2006 playoff field. Will someone please identify which of these teams were beaten by the Bison.

Massachusetts
Lafayette
New Hampshire
Hampton
Montana State
Furman
Illinois State
Eastern Illinois
Montana
McNeese State
Southern Illinois
Tennessee-Martin
Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Youngstown State
James Madison

None of them? Yet a top 5 ranking is justified? If there is no objective criteria, then any will do.

All hail the xbowx2006 Bisonxbowx.....xbowxthe best team in the land.xbowx

Man you have to quit drinking the hard stuff and posting. I have said that I'm basing my comments on this year not last year. I know that deflates your arguement about where Montana is ranked given you haven't beaten anybody but a lowly DII and the pereniall bottom feeder of the GWFC. So with that you like to revert back to the past. I live in the now and my comments are directed at your ranking this week based on who you have played so far this year. That in comparison to almost any of the other top five teams and you will see your SOS alone cannot justify your ranking but hey keep drinking the hard stuff and telling yourself your that great if it makes you feel better. It's only a poll after all. If you insist on living in the past I seem to remember the last time we played you and that didn't turn out so well for you either. That was also at your house xcoffeex

Tailbone
September 17th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Man you have to quit drinking the hard stuff and posting. I have said that I'm basing my comments on this year not last year. I know that deflates your arguement about where Montana is ranked given you haven't beaten anybody but a lowly DII and the pereniall bottom feeder of the GWFC. So with that you like to revert back to the past. I live in the now and my comments are directed at your ranking this week based on who you have played so far this year. That in comparison to almost any of the other top five teams and you will see your SOS alone cannot justify your ranking but hey keep drinking the hard stuff and telling yourself your that great if it makes you feel better. It's only a poll after all. If you insist on living in the past I seem to remember the last time we played you and that didn't turn out so well for you either. That was also at your house xcoffeex

Are you really that obtuse? xconfusedx

your inability to understand is almost humorous (actually, if you're an adult, it's quite sad)

My comments question the uneven application of the standard you use to justify your opinion....irrespective of year, division, or sport.
If your argument is based (as you admit) on strength of opposition to a point in time, then:

A- The Griz are not deserving of a #2 ranking AND the Bison did not deserve a top 16 end of season ranking (by your standard!)

or

B- NDSU deserved a top ranking in the final poll AND the Griz deserve the #2 ranking by the same measure (or lack thereof)

Take your pick.

Green26
September 17th, 2007, 11:09 PM
You're not living in the now, BisonB. You're dreaming. Nice job, Tailbone, showing the hypocrisy of some of the assertions in this thread.

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 11:14 PM

your inability to understand is almost humorous (actually, if you're an adult, it's quite sad)

My comments question the uneven application of the standard you use to justify your opinion....irrespective of year, division, or sport.
If your argument is based (as you admit) on strength of opposition to a point in time, then:

A- The Griz are not deserving of a #2 ranking AND the Bison did not deserve a top 16 end of season ranking (by your standard!)

or

B- NDSU deserved a top ranking in the final poll AND the Griz deserve the #2 ranking by the same measure (or lack thereof)

Take your pick.

His standard may be different in how he judges NDSU's opponents, especially the ones that are in the FBS and therefore could not play in the FCS playoffs.

Tailbone
September 17th, 2007, 11:32 PM
His standard may be different in how he judges NDSU's opponents, especially the ones that are in the FBS and therefore could not play in the FCS playoffs.

And that, FB, is the only reasonable argument he might make.
Unfortunately, the sample (Minn vs FCS, Bison vs FBS) is too limited to offer any meaningful data - and therein lies the problem.

I personally feel that NDSU belonged somewhere in the top 16 (even perhaps, top 10). I would tell you why, but don't care to make BBacker's argument for him. In any event, I can't arbitrarily support one position and not the other using the same reasoning for both. I suspect that you might likewise find that difficult.

Nothing wrong with using a different basis for measurement than the one I use....but it ought to be reasonable and justifiable as a means for comparison. "cuz I said so" doesn't seem either reasonable or justifiable to me.

CopperCat
September 17th, 2007, 11:42 PM
so, if I have blinders on, what does that say about 89Hen, TexasTerror, OL FU, and all the others who have voted Montana in the "Who'd you vote #2" Poll?

Do we ALL have blinders on? Or maybe it's just your blind hatred. Think about it, and get back to me. xthumbsupx

I thought about it, and then realized that it was a waste of time, and that I had wasted moments of my life that I will never get back.xcoffeex

PantherRob82
September 17th, 2007, 11:51 PM
who cares? put up or shutup come playoff time.

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 12:41 AM

Well, I guess the Bobcats haven't done anything to warrant THEIR ranking either, but there they are....what to do, what to do.... xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

I realize it can be hard to follow conversations, so I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt. I've summarized the conversation for you and it's plainly obvious to the most casual observer that I was talking about Montana in this entire discussion, so feel free to PM or rep point me your apology. xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I thought about it, and then realized that it was a waste of time, and that I had wasted moments of my life that I will never get back.xcoffeex

You're right. It IS a waste of time, because it's obvious I don't have blinders on. xthumbsupx

mlbowl
September 18th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Answering my question with a questionxeyebrowx ....BTW...I couldn't care less where we are ranked right now.

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Answering my question with a questionxeyebrowx ....BTW...I couldn't care less where we are ranked right now.
It worked for Socrates!

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dgordon/Albion/Annotations/Albion4/billandted.jpg

Khan4Cats
September 18th, 2007, 08:38 AM
It worked for Socrates!

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dgordon/Albion/Annotations/Albion4/billandted.jpg

Socrates was one righteous dudexthumbsupx

My rankings would be a mix of last year and this year. Thus, UMass, by not having done anything to lose their spot, should be at #2, followed by Montana. I would have had Youngstown in my top 4 early (again, based off of last year) but their loss and relatively weak early schedule has them slide while UNI's and SIU's early wins would move them up. But that would really only work for the top 6-8 teams (basing it off of last year).

The real question is, if Montana doesn't lose (and neither do UMass or UNI) does that constitute any reason for them to slide out of the #2? And should Appy drop if they lose a conference game? I would still argue that they should be #1 as the team to beat in FCS even with 1 loss.

McNeese75
September 18th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Socrates was one righteous dudexthumbsupx

My rankings would be a mix of last year and this year. Thus, UMass, by not having done anything to lose their spot, should be at #2, followed by Montana. I would have had Youngstown in my top 4 early (again, based off of last year) but their loss and relatively weak early schedule has them slide while UNI's and SIU's early wins would move them up. But that would really only work for the top 6-8 teams (basing it off of last year).

The real question is, if Montana doesn't lose (and neither do UMass or UNI) does that constitute any reason for them to slide out of the #2? And should Appy drop if they lose a conference game? I would still argue that they should be #1 as the team to beat in FCS even with 1 loss.

I would disagree with that. If any of the top 25 teams lose a conference game, they drop (maybe not much, but they drop)

Ronbo
September 18th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't be upset if the Griz went 11-0 and App. State went 10-1 and they were still #1. I would expect to be #2 though unless UNI were 11-0, then I'd say they deserved it by getting though the Gateway unscathed.

Who's going to beat App. State? I see them going 11-0 regular season and 14-0 going into the Championship game. Then and only then will they possibly lose. My two cents. But they will be odds on favorites.

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't be upset if the Griz went 11-0 and App. State went 10-1 and they were still #1. I would expect to be #2 though unless UNI were 11-0, then I'd say they deserved it by getting though the Gateway unscathed.

Who's going to beat App. State? I see them going 11-0 regular season and 14-0 going into the Championship game. Then and only then will they possibly lose. My two cents. But they will be odds on favorites.
I think we've got as good a chance to loose this week as any week. :(

semobison
September 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Rankings, Schmankings...sheesh..This has been an entertaining read though...

Phrebert
September 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM
As long as we stay #2, the Bullseye isn't as big and it will keep us home field during playoffs.xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I realize it can be hard to follow conversations, so I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt. I've summarized the conversation for you and it's plainly obvious to the most casual observer that I was talking about Montana in this entire discussion, so feel free to PM or rep point me your apology. xthumbsupx

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

HensRock
September 18th, 2007, 01:56 PM
4 pages of this crap???
Man, you guys are getting WAY too worked up over a poll in SEPTEMBER!

But I'll weigh in. I will not vote in this poll because I think it's silly and meaningless.

Griz fans, If the poll is based on past reputation, why do you think you should be ranked above UMass?

BisonBacker,
Why are you getting so worked up over it?

BisonBacker
September 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM

or

Take your pick.

You really like to try to keep bringing up the past dont you. Your inability to comprehend is beyond pathetic. One last time. Lets talk about this year. Go back and try to have someone read it to you then explaini it to you. My comments are about this year. That means the games you have played this year. Not last year. Not two years ago. Not in 1994 or 1990. The year is 2007, look at your calendar. Now if you understand that go have some koolaid and some cookies and leave the computer to mommy and daddy.

Tealblood
September 18th, 2007, 02:28 PM
4 pages i think its 14 pages

and for what its worth I have UNI #2 Montana #3

but who really cares its week 3

worst case montana slips to #4 or #5 easily get 2 home games in playoffs

BisonBacker
September 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Not worked up at all. Just think it's hilarious how some Montana fans twist words to try to make their arguement.

mlbowl
September 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM
You really like to try to keep bringing up the past dont you. Your inability to comprehend is beyond pathetic. One last time. Lets talk about this year. Go back and try to have someone read it to you then explaini it to you. My comments are about this year. That means the games you have played this year. Not last year. Not two years ago. Not in 1994 or 1990. The year is 2007, look at your calendar. Now if you understand that go have some koolaid and some cookies and leave the computer to mommy and daddy.

Oh...You must mean the two games that we won. I see your point nowxrolleyesx

mlbowl
September 18th, 2007, 02:33 PM
but who really cares its week 3

xnodx

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Oh...You must mean the two games that we won. I see your point nowxrolleyesx
Well, if you're measuring only by wins I guess you guys are as good as Hofstra, Eastern Washington, McNeese and Georgia Southern.

FCS Go!
September 18th, 2007, 02:42 PM
4 pages of this crap???
Man, you guys are getting WAY too worked up over a poll in SEPTEMBER!

.........Griz fans, If the poll is based on past reputation, why do you think you should be ranked above UMass?

As has probably already been stated somewhere in this thread, returning starters.

BisonBacker,
Why are you getting so worked up over it?

No playoffs for the bison, this is all they've got.xbawlingx

I think if UMass had blown out Holy Cross they'd be #2 but a close win over Holy Cross doesn't garner much respect in pollster-world.

And no, I'm not arguing that Montana's first two games have been tougher than UMass', nor that Fort Lewis would beat any team that UMass has played this year.

mlbowl
September 18th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Well, if you're measuring only by wins I guess you guys are as good as Hofstra, Eastern Washington, McNeese and Georgia Southern.

Did any of those teams have a pre-season ranking of #2? Deserving or not, the Griz have been ranked #2 from the beginning and have easily handled the opponents on their schedule.....so I ask again....why should they drop?

ursus arctos horribilis
September 18th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Did any of those teams have a pre-season ranking of #2? Deserving or not, the Griz have been ranked #2 from the beginning and have easily handled the opponents on their schedule.....so I ask again....why should they drop?

Because BisonBacker thinks so, and as BisonBacker goes so should the rest of the pollsters.

GoldandBlack
September 18th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Seems pretty simple-

1. If you think the preseason poll is an indicator of how teams will end the season, then highly ranked teams are expected to win the equal or lesser division OOC games to begin the year, and if they do so, then there's no reason to move them up or down until the conference games begin.

In case #1, Montana was ranked 2nd in preseason, and has done nothing to lose that position.

2. If you think the preseason poll is an indicator of relative strength ratings of each team, then the argument can be made that other teams have defeated stronger opponents so far this season, which entitles them to a higher ranking than Montana.

You're going to view it one way or the other, and depending on your opinion of what a preseason poll really means, you can make a valid argument either way.

Truth be known- it ain't gonna be settled until the playoffs are over, anyway, so all of this is somewhat like fantasy football at this point in the season.

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 03:34 PM

Or App State. xeyebrowx

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Or App State. xeyebrowx
Nope, we've got 3 wins. :p xsmiley_wix

FCS Go!
September 18th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Not according to your sig line!:)

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Seems pretty simple-

1. If you think the preseason poll is an indicator of how teams will end the season, then highly ranked teams are expected to win the equal or lesser division OOC games to begin the year, and if they do so, then there's no reason to move them up or down until the conference games begin.

In case #1, Montana was ranked 2nd in preseason, and has done nothing to lose that position.

2. If you think the preseason poll is an indicator of relative strength ratings of each team, then the argument can be made that other teams have defeated stronger opponents so far this season, which entitles them to a higher ranking than Montana.

You're going to view it one way or the other, and depending on your opinion of what a preseason poll really means, you can make a valid argument either way.

Truth be known- it ain't gonna be settled until the playoffs are over, anyway, so all of this is somewhat like fantasy football at this point in the season.

Correct. Except as stated above THIS is the Bison's playoffs, so it's more important to them (apparently) than to the rest of us. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Come on. Fort Lewis would kick Leann Rymes A**!!! That victory shouldn't count! :p :p :p :p :D

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Ouch.

Touche.

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xreadx xreadx xreadx

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I knew I forgot something!
xoopsx xdohx

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I knew I forgot something!
xoopsx xdohx

Still reveling in the beatdown of the Big 10 doormat? ;) :p

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Still reveling in the beatdown of the Big 10 doormat? ;) :p
Too busy dissing the Griz I guess. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Guess you guys are reveling in your beatdown of SUU? xeyebrowx

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Too busy dissing the Griz I guess. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Guess you guys are reveling in your beatdown of SUU? xeyebrowx

Ahhhhhh.....all is right with the world now. xnodx

PDXCat
September 18th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Not worked up at all. Just think it's hilarious how some Montana fans twist words to try to make their arguement.

As has been pointed out, Montana definitely deserves to be there if that was their preseason rank, and it was. They have done absolutely nothing that would diminish their preseason ranking. They were suppose to win their first 2 games and they did. What is your point? (Please don't answer that question, it is rhetorical) Who says they don't beat Iowa State, or Michigan State for that matter? They haven't played them but that doesn't mean they couldn't. It all shakes out in the end. Your argument is not sound and doesn't hold water. And I'm a fan from Montana State.

FargoBison
September 18th, 2007, 04:37 PM
As has been pointed out, Montana definitely deserves to be there if that was their preseason rank, and it was. They have done absolutely nothing that would diminish their preseason ranking. They were suppose to win their first 2 games and they did. What is your point? (Please don't answer that question, it is rhetorical) Who says they don't beat Iowa State, or Michigan State for that matter? They haven't played them but that doesn't mean they couldn't. It all shakes out in the end. Your argument is not sound and doesn't hold water. And I'm a fan from Montana State.

His arguement does hold water, its just a different way of looking at things. I don't think backer should be as worked up as he his but I'm not going to tell anyone what they can and can not get angry about.

BisonBacker
September 18th, 2007, 04:40 PM

So your saying UNI's play in comparison to the level of competition vs. Montana and their competiton still ranks Montana above UNI? So a team that has played as well against much better competition can not move ahead of a team that is idle and has played two patsies? I don't care who your a fan of that kind of thought process is out in left field. Your comment about them playing Iowa State or Michigan is foolish since as you pointed out they havent played them. Here let me make that arguement. NDSU could play and beat Oklahoma, USC, Texas.....You get the idea. Lets stick to the facts. Fact is Montana has done nothing to keep the #2 rank as compared to what UNI has done.

BisonBacker
September 18th, 2007, 04:45 PM
His arguement does hold water, its just a different way of looking at things. I don't think backer should be as worked up as he his but I'm not going to tell anyone what they can and can not get angry about.

Not angry at all just debating people and I don't understand why it's so hard for people to see that. I think Montana is over rated based on who they have played plain and simple. I think UNI is much more deserving of the rank. Hell it's just a poll but thing is people see Montana there and use it as justification to say they deserve to be cuz that's where they started the season. Were 3 weeks into the season now. Should not a teams rank 3 weeks into the season be based on who they have played? No matter how deserving some may think they are prior to the seaon we have 3 weeks which granted is not a lot it's still 3 weeks of play. I know Montana had a bye last week but UNI didn't. UNI's played tough competition. More then I can say so far for Montana.

FargoBison
September 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Not angry at all just debating people and I don't understand why it's so hard for people to see that. I think Montana is over rated based on who they have played plain and simple. I think UNI is much more deserving of the rank. Hell it's just a poll but thing is people see Montana there and use it as justification to say they deserve to be cuz that's where they started the season. Were 3 weeks into the season now. Should not a teams rank 3 weeks into the season be based on who they have played? No matter how deserving some may think they are prior to the seaon we have 3 weeks which granted is not a lot it's still 3 weeks of play. I know Montana had a bye last week but UNI didn't. UNI's played tough competition. More then I can say so far for Montana.

I agree, early on in my rankings what happend last year and what teams have coming back are big factors thusly I had the Griz ranked 2nd. After a few weeks as teams play more games the old phrase "what have you done for me lately" starts to play out. So teams like McNeese, UNI, and NDSU rack up big wins they move up the Griz slide down. To have rankings based on preseason predictions is foolish to me, at some point what teams are doing this year has to enter the equation.

Tailbone
September 18th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Are you really that obtuse?

or

Take your pick.

.... One last time. ...

Thank God.

Wow! You really are obtuse.

I always felt that the egalitarian nature of college education was a misguided concept but your own muddled thinking provides better evidence than any attempt at a coherent argument I might make to support that assertion.

Since you are unable to understand (let alone apply) the concept of a consistent standard of comparison, applied to similar situations, separated by an increment of time, I agree - further discussion is pointless.

Feel free to evaluate this year's teams based on strength of schedule and last year's teams on the intensity of your bias.
I'm sure the Bison will again be the best team in America (by the "I said so" standard you use to measure standings) at season's end.

If ignorance is bliss, you must be absolutely euphoric. :D

PDXCat
September 18th, 2007, 05:08 PM
So your saying UNI's play in comparison to the level of competition vs. Montana and their competiton still ranks Montana above UNI? So a team that has played as well against much better competition can not move ahead of a team that is idle and has played two patsies? I don't care who your a fan of that kind of thought process is out in left field. Your comment about them playing Iowa State or Michigan is foolish since as you pointed out they havent played them. Here let me make that arguement. NDSU could play and beat Oklahoma, USC, Texas.....You get the idea. Lets stick to the facts. Fact is Montana has done nothing to keep the #2 rank as compared to what UNI has done.

No it has nothing to do with any team other than Montana. Look at the AP poll, USC started the season ranked first and beat the always powerful Vandals from Idaho 38-10, a beating yes but not exactly a pounding. The next week they had a bye. LSU on the other hand, started off with a win over Mississippi State and the next week they beat a ranked (9) V Tech team. Did the AP pollsters move down USC because they played one weak ass opponent and then had a bye while the number 2 ranked LSU was beating up on the 9th ranked team? No they didn't. While they did lose a few 1st place votes they still maintained the number 1 ranking. Maybe I'm with the majority that would have maintained that they had done nothing to slip, and your minority position would have been one of the votes that swung to LSU. Majority wins. Nee Ner xpeacex

putter
September 18th, 2007, 05:08 PM
After 2 or 3 weeks nobody deserves any ranking. Who UNI or NDSU has played has no bearing on Montana. If you think that a team that was a semi-finalist and returned 19 starters is still a very good team then you can rank them where you want to. The weeks will put teams where they belong.

Look at the people 2 weeks ago that said LSU was a lot better than USC because of what they did to Virginia Tech and USC played lowly Idaho..and then USC went to Nebraska.

I personally have no problem where you put Montana and I don't have them ranked #2.

Tailbone
September 18th, 2007, 05:20 PM
The thing I find most humorous about this whole debate is that the person who designed the poll (BisonBacker) totally hacked it up.

1. Thread topic and Poll question are not in agreement. Not a big deal, but may yield erroneous results.

2. The thread topic is "does Montana deserve the #2 ranking?"
Yes! There is NO evidence to suggest otherwise. Some teams may make a better case, but deserving and having are two different things. Guess what? UMass, UNI, NDSU, are ALL deserving of a #2 ranking at this point.

Now the question as to whether the Griz are ranked too high at #2 is a different kettle of fish, and open to debate. I don't really care where BB or anyone else ranks any given team - at this point it is ALL speculation.
I do however think it prudent to have some objective (as much as possible) means of comparison. "'Cuz I said so" doesn't seem adequate.

However, given the level of consideration that was obviously given to the design of this whole poll thread - I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some folks do think the "'Cuz I said so" method is suitable.

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Did Montana's schedule sneak up on you? Were the AGS voters unsure of who Montana was playing in the first 4 weeks of the season? Did UNI schedule Iowa State in mid-August?

I mean, it's like you woke up from a summer-long slumber on the 30th of August and said, "Holy CRAP! SUU, Albany and Fort Lewis really SUCK!!!" Come on, backer, you're smarter than that. EVERYONE knew who these teams were playing. The Griz were ranked #2--with their schedule already known. The schedule hasn't been a surprise. Why in the world would they be ranked #2 BEFORE the season started, and then get penalized AFTER they've beaten everybody they've played? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

No_Skill
September 18th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Is this thread done yet?

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Is this thread done yet?

No. We're goin' for 200 posts. :D Thanks for helping!

Col Hogan
September 18th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Well, I'm not going to help keep this thing going any longer than necessary...

Dead Horses R' Us

BisonBacker
September 18th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Oh we can easily push it up to 200 :D

AZGrizFan
September 19th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Oh we can easily push it up to 200 :D
Oh, absolutely. In fact, only 25 more to go. xthumbsupx

SeattleGriz
September 19th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Hey. Whats up with this thread. Did it make it any closer to 200?

TheValleyRaider
September 19th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Your thread title and poll question are two entirely different questions, do not ask the same thing, and therefore this is all a futile exercise in futility.

Clearly I am the only one noticing this fatal flaw in your thread and poll, as there can be no other possible explanation for this thread nearing 200 posts, and thus the least you can do is get me a beer. xprost2x

You're welcome

james_lawfirm
September 19th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Montana's "early season poll droppings" are their own cotton-pickin' fault. If they would actually schedule someone other than kindergartens, then perhaps they are worthy of a #2 ranking. I recall a Hampton team ranked #4 in '05 that made a hasty exit from the playoffs. The same fate may await Montana. We'll see. Judging from NAU's performance in Boone, Montana will have its hands full in Flagstaff. But, I think that game is late in the season.

As a side note, I hope that Montana winds up in ASU's bracket such that Montana has a game in Boone after Thanksgiving. But, no way are they #2 now.

I do not understand why UNI is not a SOLID #2 after beating Iowa State. ???

BisonBacker
September 19th, 2007, 06:34 AM
xbowx
Montana's "early season poll droppings" are their own cotton-pickin' fault. If they would actually schedule someone other than kindergartens, then perhaps they are worthy of a #2 ranking. I recall a Hampton team ranked #4 in '05 that made a hasty exit from the playoffs. The same fate may await Montana. We'll see. Judging from NAU's performance in Boone, Montana will have its hands full in Flagstaff. But, I think that game is late in the season.

As a side note, I hope that Montana winds up in ASU's bracket such that Montana has a game in Boone after Thanksgiving. But, no way are they #2 now.

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

mlbowl
September 19th, 2007, 07:03 AM
If they would actually schedule someone other than kindergartens,

The same fate may await Montana.

Once again....Gotta give a shout out to Miss Lenoir Rhyne;)

The same fate may await ASU.xnodx

FargoBison
September 19th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Once again....Gotta give a shout out to Miss Lenoir Rhyne;)

The same fate may await ASU.xnodx

Michigan....NAU...I don't know what same fate your talking about.

AZGrizFan
September 19th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Your thread title and poll question are two entirely different questions, do not ask the same thing, and therefore this is all a futile exercise in futility.

Clearly I am the only one noticing this fatal flaw in your thread and poll, as there can be no other possible explanation for this thread nearing 200 posts, and thus the least you can do is get me a beer. xprost2x

You're welcome

xprost2xxprost2xxprost2x

Thank you for your contribution. xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
September 19th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Did Montana's schedule sneak up on you? Were the AGS voters unsure of who Montana was playing in the first 4 weeks of the season? Did UNI schedule Iowa State in mid-August?

I mean, it's like you woke up from a summer-long slumber on the 30th of August and said, "Holy CRAP! SUU, Albany and Fort Lewis really SUCK!!!" Come on, backer, you're smarter than that. EVERYONE knew who these teams were playing. The Griz were ranked #2--with their schedule already known. The schedule hasn't been a surprise. Why in the world would they be ranked #2 BEFORE the season started, and then get penalized AFTER they've beaten everybody they've played? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

xbowx

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Hmmm....maybe some of you less observant posters WERE "surprised" by Montana's schedule. As an attorney, Mr. Lawfirm, I'd expect you to be a bit more prepared for an argument than that.

lizrdgizrd
September 19th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I nominate this thread for the worst subject - poll question agreement ever!

Tailbone
September 19th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Michigan?

From what I'm reading in other threads....Albany would beat them.

Therefore: Montana schedule ~ App schedule

AZGrizFan
September 19th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I nominate this thread for the worst subject - poll question agreement ever!

Well it was put together by a Bison fan. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx :D

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 19th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Do they deserve the ranking? No. Montana was not even in the title game last year. UMass should be ahead of them by looking at the past. They haven't played anyone yet. Several teams ahead of them on that account. Either way, I do not consider Montana #2 team in the country. 3 or 4, Absolutely. But 2, nope... In time UMass or UNI will fall and Montana will have the edge of going undefeated the rest of the way to secure a 2 seed for home playoffs once again.

DuckDuckGriz
September 19th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Do they deserve the ranking? No. Montana was not even in the title game last year. UMass should be ahead of them by looking at the past. They haven't played anyone yet. Several teams ahead of them on that account. Either way, I do not consider Montana #2 team in the country. 3 or 4, Absolutely. But 2, nope... In time UMass or UNI will fall and Montana will have the edge of going undefeated the rest of the way to secure a 2 seed for home playoffs once again.

I can see how UMass should be #2, which, you're right would make sense based on last year's finish. I think the big reason they aren't is because of the amount of starters they lost vs MT.

mlbowl
September 19th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Uhhhh....Check the post I was replying to....the "fate" is losing in the playoffs.....nothing to do with their schedule. Try to keep up.xthumbsupx

FargoBison
September 19th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Uhhhh....Check the post I was replying to....the "fate" is losing in the playoffs.....nothing to do with their schedule. Try to keep up.xthumbsupx

He said Montana may suffer the same fate as Hampton did because they play nobody during the season. Considering who App State plays they wouldn't suffer a similar fate. They may lose but it won't be due to a weak schedule.

mlbowl
September 19th, 2007, 12:10 PM
They may lose

That's all I'm sayingxnodx

mlbowl
September 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM

BTW....We play NAU also;)

Ronbo
September 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Well it's becoming clear why Montana is ranked 2nd in the AGS poll. We have 50% that feel we belong there. So if we got 50% of the 2nd place votes and another 20-25% of the 3rd place votes we easily got the 2nd ranking. UMass, NDSU, and UNI probably split the other 2nd place votes.

putter
September 19th, 2007, 01:01 PM
He said Montana may suffer the same fate as Hampton did because they play nobody during the season. Considering who App State plays they wouldn't suffer a similar fate. They may lose but it won't be due to a weak schedule.

The difference, contrary to what others believe, is that the Big Sky has quality teams (see NAU - APP) that have won playoff games where most of Hamptons conference competition was not that strong. Going into the playoffs Montana is usually battle tested irregardless of who they played in OOC.

FargoBison
September 19th, 2007, 01:11 PM
The difference, contrary to what others believe, is that the Big Sky has quality teams (see NAU - APP) that have won playoff games where most of Hamptons conference competition was not that strong. Going into the playoffs Montana is usually battle tested irregardless of who they played in OOC.

I don't know if the BSC is all that strong this year, lots of question marks out there. The season is still young though...

ursus arctos horribilis
September 19th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I don't know if the BSC is all that strong this year, lots of question marks out there. The season is still young though...

Unlike the GWFC which is doing very well I assume....Oh no nevermind , I guess 4-11 isn't that good.

mlbowl
September 19th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Montana, Montana State, Nothern Arizona, and Estern Washington would be competitive in ANY conference....just my humble opinion:)

FargoBison
September 19th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Unlike the GWFC which is doing very well I assume....Oh no nevermind , I guess 4-11 isn't that good.

I never said the GWFC was doing good, right now it kind of looks like the BSC.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 19th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I'm trying to get this to 200 so that it will end.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 19th, 2007, 01:30 PM
And done.

lizrdgizrd
September 19th, 2007, 01:31 PM
And done.

You sure? xeyebrowx

SirApp
September 19th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I'm trying to get this to 200 so that it will end.

End it!! Oh yea, they're still deserving of their ranking.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 19th, 2007, 01:32 PM
You sure? xeyebrowx

damn you lg.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 19th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I never said the GWFC was doing good, right now it kind of looks like the BSC.

OK I gotcha, I thought I saw you in your glass house holding a rock but as long as we both know our repective situations. We are not the CAA you know.

FargoBison
September 19th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Montana, Montana State, Nothern Arizona, and Estern Washington would be competitive in ANY conference....just my humble opinion:)

I never said they couldn't compete but are there any other powerhouse teams besides Montana this year?

lizrdgizrd
September 19th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I never said they couldn't compete but are there any other powerhouse teams besides Montana this year?
Hard to tell. Most have either lost to good competition or played weak competition.

mlbowl
September 19th, 2007, 01:40 PM

I don't think I would use the word "powerhouse" but I believe we will be battle tested this season.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM

It is all speculation for a few more weeks until the games are played out which is why the ranking are as they are as well which is why this seemed kinda pointless. Fun nonetheless but just a bunch of jabs and counter punches is all that it is.