PDA

View Full Version : Iona featured in NY Times?

hebmskebm
September 17th, 2007, 11:39 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/13/sports/ncaafootball/13iona.html?_r=2&ref=sports&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Good job by the NY Times on that article. Everything was accurate and didn't condescend at all. Glad to see that folks there are beginning to realize that there is real college football being playing in the NYC area! xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
September 17th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Good for Iona. They seem to be committed to FB. They now have 2 wins over the NEC this year.

This season they beat Wagner and Sacred Heart, certainly not the NEC's strongest programs, but wins anyway. I'm just can't understand why, after the MAAC has collapased around them, there seems to be no interest to go limited-schollys and join the NEC.

I understand and respect the cost containment issues of small private schools, but IMO the old "mid-major" non-scholarship form of I-AA football is dying. The NEC is offering a limited-aid format that holds down costs, but can be competative with fully funded I-AA teams.

I wish Iona well, but after numerous MAAC programs have drop the sport (Cansisus, Fairfield, Siena, St. Peter's,) or have left the conference (St. John's, Georgetown and Duquesne), I have to worry about conferenece affiliation and ability to competing against a full I-AA schedule.

Seahawks Fan
September 17th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I give Iona credit. They beat us this year.

DetroitFlyer
September 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM
According to our good buddy, Jeff Sagarin, the PFL is ranked above the NEC for the third consecutive week! It sure looks like Iona, if they join the PFL, will help that cause a bit more, ( 2-0 versus the NEC this year ). Unfortunately, LaSalle if they come on board, will not.... Marist, probably a push. IMHO, there is room in FCS for one, "non-scholarship" model conference. Drake is currently a top 25 FCS team, San Diego should be, and Dayton might be, ( we'll know more after playing Fordham ). The model might be dying on a larger scale, but it can work for a single conference. That said, even joining the PFL will be an increased financial committment for the remaining MAAC schools, but it will not be as much as if they joined the NEC and had to cough up 30 schollies. It will be interesting to see how the Dukes do in the NEC with 18 schollies. I have not seen anything from Duquesne that indicates that they want to go to 30 anytime soon.... Maybe if the Dukes have some success, teams like Iona, Marist and LaSalle might rethink the conference they want to play football in going forward. At that point in time, maybe the Detroits, Lipscombs, Evansville's, etc. of the world backfill the PFL. As always, it will be an interesting ride over the next few years!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2007, 12:43 PM
The MAAC is dead after 2007, so Marist, LaSalle and Iona will be forced into some decision making. I don't think any of these schools want to drop football, so as of right now the thought is the PFL, NEC, maybe the Patriot League... or a brand new eastern-based non-scholly conference.

To me, the front-running solution right now is an estern-based non-scholly conference including Jacksonville, Davidson, LaSalle, Iona, Marist, and possibly some others from the Atlantic Sun.

aceinthehole
September 17th, 2007, 12:50 PM
According to our good buddy, Jeff Sagarin, the PFL is ranked above the NEC for the third consecutive week! It sure looks like Iona, if they join the PFL, will help that cause a bit more, ( 2-0 versus the NEC this year ). Unfortunately, LaSalle if they come on board, will not.... Marist, probably a push. IMHO, there is room in FCS for one, "non-scholarship" model conference. Drake is currently a top 25 FCS team, San Diego should be, and Dayton might be, ( we'll know more after playing Fordham ). The model might be dying on a larger scale, but it can work for a single conference. That said, even joining the PFL will be an increased financial committment for the remaining MAAC schools, but it will not be as much as if they joined the NEC and had to cough up 30 schollies. It will be interesting to see how the Dukes do in the NEC with 18 schollies. I have not seen anything from Duquesne that indicates that they want to go to 30 anytime soon.... Maybe if the Dukes have some success, teams like Iona, Marist and LaSalle might rethink the conference they want to play football in going forward. At that point in time, maybe the Detroits, Lipscombs, Evansville's, etc. of the world backfill the PFL. As always, it will be an interesting ride over the next few years!

1) How can a coast-to-coast conference footprint be considered "cost containment"? Sorry, but here in the East without the need to travel for games, a move for Iona, LaSalle, or Marist to the PFL is not good for their budget, period. The travel costs for evn 2 plane trips per year is more than a few NEC schollys.

2) The Dukes AD has publicly stated, they are looking forward to offering schollys. (I'm not willing to search for you, but check their website or the Pittsburgh papers for a source) Like the NEC teams, they will probably only offer 10 rides in year 1 and grow into it.

3) I'm not worried about the rankings in week 3. It looks like there may only be 3 top NEC teams, but everyone on this board has told you a million times - the PFL has a weak SOS (too many lower division games). Congrats to Drake, ther ranking is well deserved. I hope they get another big upset vs. UNI. If UA or CCSU wins its game this week, it will be the huge news in FCS. We put our teams in position to make headlines, I'm not worried about the PFL in the least.

DetroitFlyer
September 17th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Not worried about the PFL.... You better hope that our champion receives a playoff bid so that the NEC champion has a prayer against the second place team in the PFL in the Gridiron Classic! :D Here is the deal, it is great to schedule tough FCS teams. Albany has been doing it for years. AND, Albany has been losing most of these games for years. Does it help prepare Albany for the NEC slate? Maybe, although last year some team from New Jersey won the NEC.... ( And they lost the Gridiron Classic to the might PFL ). The point is, that despite the scheduing differences, the NEC and PFL have been neck and neck for years in the Sagarin and GPI rankings. The NEC has certainly not come anywhere close to pulling away from the PFL like some here have predicted....

The cost of scholarships to a private school far outweigh travel costs. 30 scholarships at lets say $35,000 is $1,050,000 per year. A plane trip for the football team is what, maybe $60,000? Say you make 6 plane triips per season, total travel cost: $300,000. Not even close. If scholarships were cheaper than travel, Iona, Marist and LaSalle would not even be considering the PFL. The PFL is absolutely the lowest cost option for these schools to continue football at this point in time.

As for a new eastern conference? Not a prayer.... The PFL cannot even afford a full time commish.... Putting together an eastern, non-scholarship conference for football only is more a hope than a plan.

AppFan56
September 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Hat's off to the players and to Fred Mariani - you couldn't meet a nicer man than Fred and its great to see his and his player's hard work pay off.

Dane96
September 17th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Detroit Flyer...why do you just speak constantly without thinking.

Let me say this: Do research and read the umpteen threads on how SCHOLARSHIPS ARE NOT A DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR ISSUE. It does not cost 45k for a football scholarship. It is funny money that is moved about. There is a great thread on it. The big issue with the MAAC three is that the NEC is most likely moving to 45 scholarships. That extra 15 IS A BIG DEAL...and certainly not cost containment.

Iona traveling on plane 6 times a year...is not going to happen IMHO.

As for prepping for its schedule: Yes, it helps Albany. It also helps us get respect in the FCS world...something YOU EXCPECT for your weak scheduling brethren.

And while this is the first year we really have scholarship kids on the field (last year all but 5 or 6 were red-shirted), playing up has given these kids the ability to shoot for something higher. It is no shock that we have gone from 63-0 pastings (g-d that was ugly at Northeastern) four years ago...to winning games or losing by a few TD's.

It is a sign of respect that FCS teams don't expect to walkover some NEC teams and this is because of the way the league is scheduling...and playing the games.

That being said, THREE CHEERS FOR IONA...I am shocked at what they have done. CONGRATS!

downbythebeach
September 17th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Anyone know who won the Gridiron Classic last year?.....I've never heard any PFL fans mention it........lol:D :D :D

DetroitFlyer
September 17th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I do not seem to recall ISU walking all over non-scholarship Drake.... Or even Northern Colorado walking all over non-scholarship San Diego. Closer to home, I do not recall Robert Morris walking all over non-scholarship Dayton or Saint Francis walking all over non-scholarship Morehead State.... Look, I agree that the NEC has improved. Scholarships have helped, to a degree.... But, the PFL has improved as well! It is great that Albany no longer loses 63-0. So, you go 1-10, but at least you did not lose any by 63 points.... And, you have my respect.... Maybe someday the NEC pulls away from the PFL, but that day is certainly not today!

As for the cost of scholarships, who do you believe? Common sense would tell you that there is a retail and a wholesale "price" for scholarships, but for whatever reason(s), the costs are claimed to be significant for the private universities struggling with this question. Cut my original number in half. Make the wholesale price $17,500.00. 30 rides at this level is $525,000.00 per year. Still significantly more than the travel cost. I still maintain that the least expensive way for Iona, LaSalle and Marist to continue is to join the PFL.

Model Citizen
September 17th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Iona and the other MAAC refugees will join the PFL. Once La Salle joins, the PFL will be at the bottom of the power ratings. xbawlingx

Dane96
September 17th, 2007, 01:40 PM
1-10 season...ummm...no...try 54-38...playing 24 UP-GAMES over the past 9 seasons including this current one.

Yeah...that is a bad record. Are you for real guy?

Albany aspires for more than the PFL teams...and doing something about it. For that matter, so does the rest of the NEC. To do that...you have to schedule your peers...and those that reside where you want to be.

DetroitFlyer
September 17th, 2007, 02:18 PM
What is Albany's record in the 24 "play up" games?

danefan
September 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
before we get into a pissing match over UA vs. Dayton why don't we wait and compare after this weekends Dayton/Fordham matchup. Beat Fordham and I'll think you're on the same level as Albany at this point in this season.

But because there hasn't been a Dayton/Albany game in recent memory, comparing the programs is fruitless. Albany is on the path to be fully scholly. Dayton is happy being non-scholly. Great.

hebmskebm
September 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Hey just a thought, (under the "If Appalacian State can beat Michigan at Michigan anything is possible" theory). If Iona runs the table and beats UNH and Cal Poly on the road are they a playoff team? Im not saying this is even remotely possible, im just putting it out there :D

Ivytalk
September 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hael to the Gaels!:D xbowx xbowx

Dane96
September 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM
before we get into a pissing match over UA vs. Dayton why don't we wait and compare after this weekends Dayton/Fordham matchup. Beat Fordham and I'll think you're on the same level as Albany at this point in this season.

But because there hasn't been a Dayton/Albany game in recent memory, comparing the programs is fruitless. Albany is on the path to be fully scholly. Dayton is happy being non-scholly. Great.

ANd that is because a certain coach refuses to schedule that game.

danefan
September 17th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Hey just a thought, (under the "If Appalacian State can beat Michigan at Michigan anything is possible" theory). If Iona runs the table and beats UNH and Cal Poly on the road are they a playoff team? Im not saying this is even remotely possible, im just putting it out there :D

Hey they'll have their 7 DI wins......cue DetroitFlyer......xreadx

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:44 PM
If they beat UNH and Cal Poly - anywhere - they're going to make some noise when selection time rolls around. xpeacex

Dane96
September 17th, 2007, 02:47 PM
What is Albany's record in the 24 "play up" games?

5-19...with 5 losses being by less than two TD's (without scholarships of course)...and two of the losses to teams that were well on their way to FBS status (FIU and FAU).

Next stupid question.

DetroitFlyer
September 17th, 2007, 03:22 PM
5-19.... You sure have my respect....

Dane96
September 17th, 2007, 03:27 PM
We should. 4 of the wins have come in the last two seasons...meaning we are competing. 10 of the 24 games we were giving the other team a good game. 2 more...were against teams against moving to FBS.

Can you say the same about Dayton? Sure, i guess you can...via the "The PFL beat the NEC in the GIC, the NEC team beat Albany, Albany beat the play up team."

Respect is earned on the field.

I respect IONA...more than I respect those in the PFL who continue to bitch about their place in the world.

This is a thread about IONA...so let's get back on that track.

DetroitFlyer
September 17th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Probably a better chance of Iona joining the PFL than the NEC. So, it is a good thing that you respect Iona, that should help to improve your overall opinion of the PFL! Personally, I hope Iona goes 11-0! I would rather have a very strong Iona join the PFL as opposed to a very weak Iona.

aceinthehole
September 17th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Heading into the Montana game, UA is 4-7 vs. scholarship (or full equivs) teams since the begining of 2005 season.

That's a damn respectable record considering UA just began offering scholarships last year. Furthermore, of those 11 games just 3 games were in Albany. So Albany schedules very tough, and wins on the road at some very tough places like Delaware and Lehigh.

In fact if I were to guess, I'd say Albany has scheduled and WON more "up" games over the past 2+ years than the entire PFL combined.

aceinthehole
September 17th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Flyer-

For the record, over that same period (2005-present), other NEC teams have faired quite well in "up games."

Monmouth (3-2)
CCSU (2-2)

So the NEC has won 9 games vs. scholly programs in the past 2+ seasons. Not to mention we still have chances for upset wins at Montana, Western Mich (I-A), and Delaware this season.

UNHFan99
September 17th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I wouldnt get too excited about Iona just yet. Del valley is a D3 school. They are good for D3, but I think an FCS school should put up a better fight than 14 to 12.

Zoo
September 17th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Go Iona!

Great to see them doing good thus far. xthumbsupx

Go...gate
September 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I wouldnt get too excited about Iona just yet. Del valley is a D3 school. They are good for D3, but I think an FCS school should put up a better fight than 14 to 12.

Del Val is a perennial DIII power - in the play-offs periodically.

brownbear
September 17th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Del Val is a perennial DIII power - in the play-offs periodically.

As you said, they are a "DIII" team. They should be beat by more than 2 points by a DI school.

Dane96
September 17th, 2007, 05:58 PM
No...don't give D-TRAIN DETROIT FLYER facts; they may cloud the man's thinking.