PDA

View Full Version : Does Ga. Southern deserve to be ranked?

GSU Eagle
September 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Just wondering what other fans think.

We are 2-0 and beat a Coastal Carolina team on their home field. They were on the edge of the rankings I believe.

CatFan22
September 16th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Didn't make it in my poll this week but you are getting closer.

mcveyrl
September 16th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I had them at 25.

grizband
September 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM
They are getting closer, but they need another win over an FCS to be ranked in my opinion.

Baldy
September 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM
IMHO, No.

We have a long way to go before we are a top 25 team.

FCSFAN
September 16th, 2007, 05:01 PM
We are 2-0 and beat a Coastal Carolina team on their home field. They were on the edge of the rankings I believe.Coastal Carolina were not in the rankings at all. Since Georgia Southern was, you were supposed to beat them:

1. Appalachian St. (116)
2. Montana
3. Northern Iowa
4. North Dakota St.
5. Massachusetts
6. Youngstown St.
7. James Madison
8. Southern Illinois
9. McNeese St.
10. Wofford
11. Delaware
12. New Hampshire
13. Hampton
14. Furman
15. Sam Houston St.
16. Nicholls St.
17. Eastern Illinois
18. Illinois St.
19. Yale
20. Montana St.
21. Cal Poly
22. Towson
23. Hofstra
24. Delaware St.
25. Lafayette
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Drake (56), Missouri St. (43), Tennessee-Martin (30), The Citadel (26), UC Davis (26), Western Illinois (26), Portland St. (22), Northwestern St. (20), Richmond (15), Villanova (15), Georgia Southern (13), Princeton (13), Lehigh (12), Liberty (11), Northern Arizona (11), Harvard (10), Alabama A&M (9), South Carolina St. (9), Eastern Kentucky (8), San Diego (7), South Dakota St. (7), Texas St. (6), William & Mary (6), Alabama St. (5), Southern (5)

Husky Alum
September 16th, 2007, 05:02 PM
They're not on my ballot and didn't make my second tier either.

Saint3333
September 16th, 2007, 05:11 PM

We are 2-0 and beat a Coastal Carolina team on their home field. They were on the edge of the rankings I believe.

Them and Citadel are close and if there are a lot of 20-25 ranked teams that lose in the next two weeks they both could climb into the ranking. GSU has UTC & WCU so that shouldn't be very hard.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I watched their game v. Coastal. Not overly impressed with either team. GSU is a complete one man show.

mistersykes
September 16th, 2007, 05:17 PM

William and Mary has a better case than y'all (and they're not in yet either, IMO). Now, Foster on the other hand, enters the rankings at#20. xlolx Give it a couple more games, Eagles.

gsugt1
September 16th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I watched their game v. Coastal. Not overly impressed with either team. GSU is a complete one man show.

Really. I guess Lamar Lewis who has rushed for 150 and 206 yards the last 2 weeks doesn't count ? xeyebrowx xrolleyesx The funny thing is that everyone knew what was going to happen and they still couldn't stop last night.

We'll be fine on offense. We aren't running but 3-5 plays today of about 60we have.

Baldy
September 16th, 2007, 05:31 PM
One man show? Not really, Lamar Lewis had over 200 yards rushing also.

Its not a one man show when the best player on the field excels at what he is supposed to do. He is just that good.

gsugt1
September 16th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Really. I guess Lamar Lewis who has rushed for 150 and 206 yards the last 2 weeks doesn't count ? xeyebrowx xrolleyesx Not ot mention Zeke Rozier too.

The funny thing is that everyone knew what was going to happen and they still couldn't stop Jayson last night.

We'll be fine on offense. We aren't running but 3-5 plays today of about 60we have.

Plus with Jayson doing what he is doing he isn't really giving anyone else a chance.

gsugt1
September 16th, 2007, 05:34 PM
:D

parr90
September 16th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Your boys aint very good either.

GreatAppSt
September 16th, 2007, 05:49 PM
One injury away from a losing season is GSU, I'll not rank them.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 16th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I had them in this week. But they're shaky at best. Just a lot of confusion after the top 16 or so...

I think it will still be a few weeks before we can weed out the contenders from the absolute pretenders.

I think if you ignore losses to FBS teams, they wouldn't make the top 25. I consider those losses still losses and it factors into my rankings, just as wins over FBS teams count in my rankings.

Jerbearasu
September 16th, 2007, 06:08 PM
A come from behind win against a D2 school and a win against an average FCS opponent isn't too great but I do think they are a Top 25 team and think they will end the season in the Top 20. Could even possibly make playoffs if other things fall in place. That all being said, this is the Jayson Foster show and Ga Southern will have to ride on his back as far as he can take them.

OL FU
September 16th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I remember a one man show back in '85 so I am keeping my mouth shut at present:(

mrklean
September 16th, 2007, 06:16 PM
One injury away from a losing season is GSU, I'll not rank them.

DONT GET MAD MOUNTAIN BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW give GSU more that 300 tickets..........Thats a real punk move by crap ST.

mrklean
September 16th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Dude you should not EVEN talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xlolx

ronpayne
September 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM
It is a HOME game, so I think 300 is generous, thats 3 per team member plus a few really good donors. xlolx Especially when at present we could sell out everything we have to our own. Heck, we're selling our away games out because we are traveling so well right now....

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2007, 07:04 PM

I am just saying I watched the game. Coastals defense was atrocious, GSU had a slew of penalties and hasn't really stopped anyone on defense in two weeks, and their offensive production centered on one play, a read handoff.

Foster and Lewis are great backs, they are. But GSU hasn't exactly been playing stellar competition either. I can ammend that to say I was, as usual, impressed with Foster.

The question wasn't about Furman. We'll be fine. Our competition has been a bit tougher the first three weeks.

CID1990
September 16th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Coming off your last season, you are going to have to beat more than just a D-II team and a heavily overrated CCU to crack the rankings. Welcome to the world of no respect.... we at El Cid are used to it.

mrklean
September 16th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Coming off your last season, you are going to have to beat more than just a D-II team and a heavily overrated CCU to crack the rankings. Welcome to the world of no respect.... we at El Cid are used to it.

Unlike El CID we earned our RESPECT!!!!!

Six rings proves itxthumbsupx

Peems
September 16th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I remember a one man show back in '85 so I am keeping my mouth shut at present:(

I also a remember a one man show(so to speak) by the name of Adrian Peterson. I hope that Ga. Southern is back and proves everyone wrong(including some of their fans) and makes it to the playoffs. Currently though, I would have them somewhere around #30 or so.

blueballs
September 16th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Which guy who ran over 200 yards are you referring to?

As for the question about rankings, it doesn't matter. I don't care until the third week in November.

I will say this though... there are two SoCon teams who are way OVER ranked and two who are way UNDER ranked. I'll leave it up to the rest of who to figure out who I speak of.

Kill'em
September 16th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I am just saying I watched the game. Coastals defense was atrocious, GSU had a slew of penalties and hasn't really stopped anyone on defense in two weeks, and their offensive production centered on one play, a read handoff.

If the defense can't stop it, why change?

GaSouthern
September 16th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I think GSU is a top #35 team for sure, top 25, probably not, if were 6-0 going into appyville we should be ranked though.

We've got a lot to prove, How about a Furple fan saying were a one man show, FU lost when their own one man show was stopped. CCU is not a very good team, and also, if another team had a backfield like us (and a coach worth a crap) they would be running the same offense.

GSU is 3rd in the nation in D-I trailing only Navy and West Va. in rushing, and we may even be leading the FCS in offense, lemme double check that though.

Laserlips
September 16th, 2007, 10:04 PM
It is a HOME game, so I think 300 is generous, thats 3 per team member plus a few really good donors. xlolx Especially when at present we could sell out everything we have to our own. Heck, we're selling our away games out because we are traveling so well right now....

ronpayne:

Hey, App State IS the best... Now.

Enjoy the time you have at the top of the heap.. Our GSU Eagles have had the good fortune to be there a few times ourselves, but the "sun don't shine on the same dog every day"...

Congratulations on the upset... I think in particular every SOCON fan puffed his/her/our chests out when you pulled that one off! APP State beating Michigan at their house on national TV was sweet.. And yes I was pulling for your guys big time..

For what it's worth this old fart GSU fan does not think our GSU Eagles should be ranked... At present, we are not deserving. Not anywhere near it. We have deficiencies in too many areas, which may or may not be corrected as the season progresses.. We are basically, as anyone who has seen the "Jayson Foster" show knows pretty one-dimensional at the moment.

But truthfully, we do have a couple of good fb's in Lewis and Rozier, and I think our offensive line is improving with each game. We are being killed by penalties, but this team has only played two games under our new head coach Chris Hatcher and I think you might be surprised at the improvement of the GSU Eagles from week to week.

I'm thankful that we will have had several games under our belts to get our act together before we have to face your folks, Wofford, (who for some reason always gives us fits) and Furman.

Personally I don't think our Eagles can go all of the way this season. I am thankful for the success we've had so far, and I feel we will spoil the party for more than one team before the season ends. I think that next year, even with the fantastic Jayson Foster gone we will be better than this year, and under the guidance of Coach Hatcher and his staff our GSU Eagles will once again be respected in the Socon..

Last season was an aberration for the Eagles. Wannabe head coach BVGOOBER took a team that was 8-3 and reversed that record in one season. He had absolutely no skills as a head coach, and wasn't man enough to accept that fact when it hit him in the face. Our team spirit was decimated and the players terribly misused.. Jayson Foster being the prime example.

As GSU Eagle fans I believe most of us consider the hiring of Coach Hatcher very opportune for our program. Coach Hatcher is a winner, young, and reminds us all a bit of ERK.. He has our complete support and we know it will take several years for Coach Hatcher to get HIS program, and recruited players into the system, but we can accept that as the price to pay for our GSU Eagle program to be rebuilt from the ground up.

I think parity in the SOCON is such that (obviously present company excepted) NO one team can dominate in the manner GSU did in years past. What was APP States win/loss record 4 years ago?

So, enjoy your stint at the top. If MY team can't beat you, (and I'm not foolish enough to think we can, at this point) then I hope you win it all, again.xthumbsupx

Best Wishes, sorry to ramble.

J. Pomeroy

straightshooter
September 16th, 2007, 10:05 PM
The rushing stat is not exactly right. GSU is averaging 495 yards per game and Navy is averaging 379 yards per game. Don't quite see where GSU is behind Navy except in total yards. GSU has played two games and Navy has played three. I'd go on the ypg average.

GaSouthern
September 16th, 2007, 10:06 PM
The rushing stat is not exactly right. GSU is averaging 495 yards per game and Navy is averaging 379 yards per game. Don't quite see where GSU is behind Navy except in total yards. GSU has played two games and Navy has played three. I'd go on the ypg average.

I forgot the *

xsmiley_wix

GreatAppSt
September 16th, 2007, 10:25 PM
DONT GET MAD MOUNTAIN BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW give GSU more that 300 tickets..........Thats a real punk move by crap ST.

Ah Huh.xconfusedx I noticed you didn't refute my assertation.xlolx

seantaylor
September 17th, 2007, 12:13 AM
GSU has the best team speed by FAR. How is Furman talking. They are a terrible, slow team. Funny stuff.

JALMOND
September 17th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Whether they deserve to be there or not, I had them in my preseason poll. They've started the year 2-0 so I can't drop them out. Would I rank them if I didn't have them in the preseason poll? I can't honestly answer that. But hey, if they win all their games and then lose to Colorado State, I look like a genius, right?

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Glad to see you guys back in the wonderful world of invincibilityxthumbsupx

It will make it more fun when you losexnodx xsmiley_wix

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Whether they deserve to be there or not, I had them in my preseason poll. They've started the year 2-0 so I can't drop them out. Would I rank them if I didn't have them in the preseason poll? I can't honestly answer that. But hey, if they win all their games and then lose to Colorado State, I look like a genius, right?

A win is a win. xnodx

ChickenMan
September 17th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Which guy who ran over 200 yards are you referring to?

As for the question about rankings, it doesn't matter. I don't care until the third week in November.

I will say this though... there are two SoCon teams who are way OVER ranked and two who are way UNDER ranked. I'll leave it up to the rest of who to figure out who I speak of.

????

under ranked... Citadel & GSU

over ranked... Furman & Wofford

parr90
September 17th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Foster and Lewis are great backs, they are. But GSU hasn't exactly been playing stellar competition either. I can ammend that to say I was, as usual, impressed with Foster.

The question wasn't about Furman. We'll be fine. Our competition has been a bit tougher the first three weeks.

A bit tougher you say. How do you know. Is it because of the names of the teams we played. How do you know how good those teams are compared to the teams you played? Its your opinion at this point. Its to early to know. I personaly dont think either team we played was that good, better than I thought, but not that good. Hofstra aint exactly world beaters either and you lost to them.

trusty
September 17th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I dont think we should be ranked just yet. I think when we are 6-0 going to App St. then we should be.

I dont think we are a one man show either. The two teams we have played so far was not able to defend our rushing attack, at all. So why not keep running the ball? Of course Foster is leading the charge but Lewis is putting up good numbers also.

I expect the same offense with UTC, they cant stop the run either. SDSU I believe is where Coach H starts to open the play book. IMO.

Laserlips
September 17th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Glad to see you guys back in the wonderful world of invincibilityxthumbsupx

It will make it more fun when you losexnodx xsmiley_wix

FWIW:

Hey, EVERYBODY loses sooner or later...

One of my favorite memories of the great GSU/Furman rivalry was when our Eagles knocked off your Paladins at Paulson two years ago when you were ranked NUMBER ONE.. Remember that game?

I don't think the majority of GSU fans are under the impression our Eagles are going to whip everyone this season. But after the "season of the goober" we are just excited to be on the winning side of the final score for a change.

It will take time for Coach Hatcher to get his ducks in a row, but he's a great guy, has fit into the GSU Eagle family perfectly, and most of our GUS fans, who historically are oriented to "instant gratification", or "what have you done for me lately Coach" are more than willing to give Coach Hatcher the time he needs to coach us back to respectability in the SOCON.

Don't just take my word for it... Watch and see.xthumbsupx

Best wishes from a GSU "homer".

J. Pomeroy

mrklean
September 17th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I dont think we should be ranked just yet. I think when we are 6-0 going to App St. then we should be.

I dont think we are a one man show either. The two teams we have played so far was not able to defend our rushing attack, at all. So why not keep running the ball? Of course Foster is leading the charge but Lewis is putting up good numbers also.

I expect the same offense with UTC, they cant stop the run either. SDSU I believe is where Coach H starts to open the play book. IMO.

Too bad we wont be able to go to the APPY game. They only gave us 300 tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoCon48
September 17th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Hell, all you had to do was order off goasu.com several weeks ago and bought all you wanted. Several thousand Apps can't get tickets now either, so don't feel pregnant.
You snooze, you lose.xcoffeex

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 08:35 AM
????

I'll will buy into Furman being over-ranked. 1-2 and 12 turnovers in 3 gamesxnodx ( Idon't have us ranked in the AGS Poll)

Wofford maybe, we will see next week

I will buy The Citadel being under ranked, they have played extremely well so far. ( I have Cit in my top 25)

GSU is still a big wait and see and I honestly don't know how you could objectively say anything else. (Not that you can't rank them just tough to know right now) Nice second half against W georgia and lots of O against a CCU team that appears to be to be a lot weaker than last year. The way it looks now the first good test to see where GSU is October 6. Of course right now they are in better shape than Furman, because in 2 weeks we may be playing for our post season lifexeekx

Fortunately it is early so we will see.

xtwocentsx

SoCon48
September 17th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Too bad we wont be able to go to the APPY game. They only gave us 300 tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As stated in another post, all you had to do was order off www.goasu.com a few weeks ago. Now you're in the same boat as several more thousand ASU fans.

ChickenMan
September 17th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I'll will buy into Furman being over-ranked. 1-2 and 12 turnovers in 3 gamesxnodx ( Idon't have us ranked in the AGS Poll)

Wofford maybe, we will see next week

I will buy The Citadel being under ranked, they have played extremely well so far. ( I have Cit in my top 25)

GSU is still a big wait and see and I honestly don't know how you could objectively say anything else.

At this point.. I have no idea as to who is or isn't over or under rated in the SoCon.. I was just guessing as to 'blueballs' opinion on the subject.

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 08:59 AM
At this point.. I have no idea as to who is or isn't over or under rated in the SoCon.. I was just guessing as to 'blueballs' opinion on the subject.

I understood. I was just using your post to comment. Should have used his:o

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM
GSU is headed in the right direction to end up in the top 25. Nice to see you guys rally back last week plus a win against a CCU team that's down a bit from last year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Look at the teams near the bottom of the top 25 and compare them to GSU. Delaware St. got props for barely beating Coastal at home and hasn't done much else. Cal Poly hasn't done anything really impressive, and how about Lafayette and Yale?

Not saying we are a top ten team, but I think we are near the bottom of the list.

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Look at the teams near the bottom of the top 25 and compare them to GSU. Delaware St. got props for barely beating Coastal at home and hasn't done much else. Cal Poly hasn't done anything really impressive, and how about Lafayette and Yale?

Not saying we are a top ten team, but I think we are near the bottom of the list.

Cal poly, CCU or Del state are not in my top twenty five.

It could very well happen. If fact it wouldn't surprise if you guys make it in quickly. One bad season does not wipe out the historical precedent.

As lizrd, definitely in the right direction. It is hard to argue with winsxnodx

Death Dealer
September 17th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I agree that we are a little overrated at the moment, but I'm not gonna cry too loudly about it. As for GSU, whom this thread is about, they are barely outside of my top 25, and with a couple more wins will move up very quickly. I never disrespect GSU. Even a bad GSU is a dangerous animal, and this team isn't "bad". I will not be suprised if they end up in my top 15 before too long, and it wouldn't shock my if Hatcher can't get them somewhere in the top 10 before the end of the season (just not yet).

ButlerGSU
September 17th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I think GSU is still adjusting to yet another scheme and it really showed Saturday night. We are very young on defense as well but you have to give credit to Coach Bennet, he's a very good coach and will turn Coastal into a strong program in the near future.

CID1990
September 17th, 2007, 10:10 AM
????

Even in 1992 when we opened with the upset over Arkansas and then finished the regular season ranked #1, we were not ranked in the preseason poll. Yes, if you have 6 NC's in your past, it makes the pollsters look at you more closely in the preseason, but those teams as well as that coach are history, just as Charlie Taaffe and the wishbone offense are history for us.

If GSU is truly a top 25 team, then they will be ranked soon enough, but as I said before, a win over a D-II team and an overrated CCU do not a top 25 team make.

CID1990
September 17th, 2007, 10:12 AM
.... just as wins over CSU, a crappy NAIA team, and a good showing at Wisconsin do not make a top 25 team, either. I am convinced that we have a good team, but we have to play in Chattanooga next week, and they beat us in the same season that we upset South Carolina. In other words, it doesn't matter until we get into the SoCon schedule.

HensRock
September 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM
With all due respect, despite being 2-0, GSU surrenderred more points to Coastal Carolina than either Delaware State (18) or Winston-Salem State (28). They've beaten a D-II and a bad (1-2) FCS team. So the jury is still decidedly out. I'm waiting until GSU is really tested before moving them into the Top 25.

If GSU deserves to be ranked, then so do Alabama State (3-0), Southern (3-0), Morehead State (2-0) and Iona (3-0)

Laserlips
September 17th, 2007, 11:46 AM
With all due respect, despite being 2-0, GSU surrenderred more points to Coastal Carolina than either Delaware State (18) or Winston-Salem State (28). They've beaten a D-II and a bad (1-2) FCS team. So the jury is still decidedly out. I'm waiting until GSU is really tested before moving them into the Top 25.

If GSU deserves to be ranked, then so do Alabama State (3-0), Southern (3-0), Morehead State (2-0) and Iona (3-0)

FWIW:

I watched the first GSU game in Paulson, and until early in the 4th quarter I thought I was watching a repeat of last season.. Our Eagles were terrible. I was extremely proud of the rebound for the win in the 4th quarter as that is something BVG never managed to accomplish last season.

I watched the GSU/Coastal Carolina game on TV and I'd be the first to admit that the jury is still out on many facets of our game. I try to remember that this is only the first 2 times our guys have played together under the guidance of a real head football coach and our guys are still rough around the edges.. I "hope" each new game will show improvement by our guys, and hopefully by the time we get to the "meat" of our SOCON schedule we will be a bit more polished.

I don't expect Coach Hatcher to turn around a 3-8 team immediately who's program and players were basically tossed under the bus by the head coach wannabe BVGOOBER last season. I think Coach Hatcher WILL lead GSU back to the promised land in that once again our opponents will not cherish coming to Statesboro to play our Eagles, and when we are on the road no one will take a win for granted. Basically we are trying to regain respect.. And respect has to be earned, not given.

We only have two wins so far this season, but that's two more than we had in the previous 5 games.. I'll take that.

As to being a one dimensional team. It's a fact that our Senior quarterback Jayson Foster is absolutely a dynamite player. Coach Hatcher relishes a passing game, and you just know he's ready to "air it out".. But, he finds himself in the first season as the GSU head coach with a player in Jayson Foster who is capable of making a game changing play every time he has the ball in his hands.. And at qb, that's every play. Coach Hatcher is smart enough to see that he has been given a gift in the skills of Jayson, and I think he is more than willing to put his "Hatch Attack" on hold until next season if that means we continue to win by running.

Another question.

IF, so far, no one has been able to stop the GSU running game. Why in the world would we want to pass more anyway? The longer our offense is on the field the longer the opponents defense is too.. The more we can wear down the opponents defense the better for OUR defense, who get more rest.

So, we run until we get stopped, then do something different. Under the "Hatch attack" as I understand it the qb does more short passing than anything else, and honestly I think Jayson can handle that just fine.

Whether or not our receivers can CATCH Jayson's passes is another issue, but hopefully in time that concern will be resolved too.

Keep in mind I'm a GSU "homer" and if my opinion offends you it is unintentional.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

HensRock
September 17th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I just took a look at your schedule. WOW. You guys could be 6-0 before really being tested! It lays out very favorable for your players to gain confidence as Hatcher rebuilds the program. IMO, the WCU and SDSU games will be good measuring sticks.

Sept. 8 Georgia Southern 45, West Georgia 21
Sept. 15 Georgia Southern 42, Coastal Carolina 34
Sept. 22 Chattanooga
Sept. 29 W. Carolina
Oct. 6 S. Dakota St.
Oct. 13 at Elon
Oct. 20 at Appalachian St.
Oct. 27 The Citadel
Nov. 3 at Wofford
Nov. 10 Furman
Nov. 17 at Colorado St.

flexbone
September 17th, 2007, 12:12 PM
No we DO NOT want ,scratch that, deserve to be ranked. Let us just keep getting better in our new offense ,putting up ONE dimensional triple option like offensive numbers, We don't need to consider being ranked until later in the year IF we continue to improve. Lets just fly under the radar! Our One dimensional offense cant compete with the big boys - IT NEVER DID, or did it?

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I just took a look at your schedule. WOW. You guys could be 6-0 before really being tested! It lays out very favorable for your players to gain confidence as Hatcher rebuilds the program. IMO, the WCU and SDSU games will be good measuring sticks.

Sept. 22 Chattanooga
Sept. 29 W. Carolina
Oct. 6 S. Dakota St.
Oct. 13 at Elon
Oct. 27 The Citadel
Nov. 3 at Wofford
Nov. 10 Furman
Nov. 17 at Colorado St.

SDSU maybe 0-3 but they will test the Eaglesxnodx

Col Hogan
September 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Coming up on the radar, but not a threat yet...

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 12:29 PM
FWIW:

Hey, EVERYBODY loses sooner or later...

One of my favorite memories of the great GSU/Furman rivalry was when our Eagles knocked off your Paladins at Paulson two years ago when you were ranked NUMBER ONE.. Remember that game?

I don't think the majority of GSU fans are under the impression our Eagles are going to whip everyone this season. But after the "season of the goober" we are just excited to be on the winning side of the final score for a change.

It will take time for Coach Hatcher to get his ducks in a row, but he's a great guy, has fit into the GSU Eagle family perfectly, and most of our GUS fans, who historically are oriented to "instant gratification", or "what have you done for me lately Coach" are more than willing to give Coach Hatcher the time he needs to coach us back to respectability in the SOCON.

Don't just take my word for it... Watch and see.xthumbsupx

Best wishes from a GSU "homer".

J. Pomeroy

See bold. I think you are correct. Unfortunately many of your posters talk like it. xrolleyesx

KJ Eagle
September 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM
SDSU maybe 0-3 but they will test the Eaglesxnodx
I agree with you on that one...but I don't see WCU as very much of a test.

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I agree with you on that one...but I don't see WCU as very much of a test.

Unless things change, I see a 4-0 Eagles going into the SDSU game which will be a fight. Elon away will not be a calkwalk either.

KJ Eagle
September 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Unless things change, I see a 4-0 Eagles going into the SDSU game which will be a fight. Elon away will not be a calkwalk either.
I hate to say it, but I actually agree with someone in purple...;)

SDSU may be 0-3, (I can't quote their schedule, but I think they have played some tough teams) but I don't expect it to be easy at all. They were the first team I was worried about when I first saw the schedule. Elon could be tough, they throw the ball really well. But I hope that our DB's will be up for the challenge. They seem to be doing well this year, and kept Simpson to 1 catch for 13 yards until about 2 minutes left in the game this weekend. I hope that boads well for the Eagles!

Laserlips
September 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM
See bold. I think you are correct. Unfortunately many of your posters talk like it. xrolleyesx

OL FU:

Yep, I know..

What can you do? Every team has it's share of realists and dreamers.. Can't fault a "dreamer", or "homer" for tooting their respective institutions football team.. I'm guilty of that myself to some degree.

But in both of the games I've watched our fledging Eagles play the outcome was not decided until wayyyy too late in the game for my personal comfort.. I was nervous until the very last minute of the Coastal Carolina game.

I hope we can get ahead of somebody by enough points early enough in a game to get our backups some real quality playing time. I think our b/u quarterback Billy Lowe is going to be top notch, but we haven't had a lead comfortable enough so far to get him some playing time.

As for our game with SDSU... Hey, those folks gave us all we wanted the last time we played them in S.Dakota, and last season NDSU whipped our butts... I'm not comfortable at all with our chances of success against the Jack Rabbits at the level we are now playing.. Hopefully the two games between now and then will enable us to polish off more rust, and allow us to develop a more varied offense.

Truthfully this old fart doesn't have any answers.. My wife and I just attend the games, keep our fingers crossed, and hope good things happen.

Our GSU Eagles aren't real good right now. But I think the Eagles have the "potential" to be good, and I just hope we improve enough with each game to ruin the party for some of the rivals we aren't expected to defeat.xwhistlex

Hey, it's just young men playing football.. Let's just support 'em when they are having a bad year, and praise them when they are having a good year.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

VidEagle
September 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I just want to know why people think Furman should be ranked? Who have they beaten? If Elon or WCU had played Furman's schedule and had the same record do you think they would be ranked?

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 12:49 PM
OL FU:

Yep, I know..

What can you do? Every team has it's share of realists and dreamers.. Can't fault a "dreamer", or "homer" for tooting their respective institutions football team.. I'm guilty of that myself to some degree.

But in both of the games I've watched our fledging Eagles play the outcome was not decided until wayyyy too late in the game for my personal comfort.. I was nervous until the very last minute of the Coastal Carolina game.

I hope we can get ahead of somebody by enough points early enough in a game to get our backups some real quality playing time. I think our b/u quarterback Billy Lowe is going to be top notch, but we haven't had a lead comfortable enough so far to get him some playing time.

As for our game with SDSU... Hey, those folks gave us all we wanted the last time we played them in S.Dakota, and last season NDSU whipped our butts... I'm not comfortable at all with our chances of success against the Jack Rabbits at the level we are now playing.. Hopefully the two games between now and then will enable us to polish off more rust, and allow us to develop a more varied offense.

Truthfully this old fart doesn't have any answers.. My wife and I just attend the games, keep our fingers crossed, and hope good things happen.

Our GSU Eagles aren't real good right now. But I think the Eagles have the "potential" to be good, and I just hope we improve enough with each game to ruin the party for some of the rivals we aren't expected to defeat.xwhistlex

Hey, it's just young men playing football.. Let's just support 'em when they are having a bad year, and praise them when they are having a good year.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Thank you for reminding me that I should pay less attention to the GSU poster cheerleading squad and more attention to the knowledgeable fansxthumbsupx

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I just want to know why people think Furman should be ranked? Who have they beaten? If Elon or WCU had played Furman's schedule and had the same record do you think they would be ranked?

Start a different thread and ask the same question.

I didn't rank us but I think most people understand that it is basically the same team as last year but healthly with one more year of experience. Now Furman just needs to play like itxeyebrowx

Death Dealer
September 17th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Wrong thread for that, but since you asked....BTFOOM. I'm still waiting for us to prove we deserve to be there.

VidEagle
September 17th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I thought rankings were based on this year's results not what a team did last year or preseason potential.

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I thought rankings were based on this year's results not what a team did last year or preseason potential.

If you ask those of us who vote in the poll, many take the previous rankings and adjust based on weekly results. Thus it may take some time for teams who are underperforming to drop out of the poll and others who are playing above expectations to rise to the top. I don't really think the poll is very solid until after a few weeks of conference play. xpeacex

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Are serious or kidding now. Of course the first few weeks is based somewhat on history and expectations plus the first three games.

Why do you think some Georgia Southern fans think they should be ranked? Yep GSU is 2-0. But if Furman played those teams would they be 2-0 (Who knows but for the sake of argument let's say yes). So what do you base your rankings on until the season really gets cranking. History and expectations. Give it two more weeks. Woffard beats Furman and we are gone and it would take three or four wins in row for people to consider us.

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 01:11 PM
If you ask those of us who vote in the poll, many take the previous rankings and adjust based on weekly results. Thus it may take some time for teams who are underperforming to drop out of the poll and others who are playing above expectations to rise to the top. I don't really think the poll is very solid until after a few weeks of conference play. xpeacex

Absolutely, as discussed above I fully expect GSU to be 4-0 in two weeks and if they are 4-0 they will be in the top 25 (and yet probably won't have what most people refer to as a quality win). Doesn't mean they won't belong there it just takes time.

Death Dealer
September 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Absolutely, as discussed above I fully expect GSU to be 4-0 in two weeks and if they are 4-0 they will be in the top 25 (and yet probably won't have what most people refer to as a quality win). Doesn't mean they won't belong there it just takes time.
Spot on!xthumbsupx We will see how things develop over the next few weeks. I will not be suprised to see the Eagles move into the top 20 in the next two weeks if they keep winning and for us to move way out if we keep losing. We'll just have to wait and see.

HIU 93
September 17th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I have them in at 25, but by the time I get to 20, it starts to be real difficult to pick. I thibk that it will be hard to figure out where a large majority of teams will be this year until about the third week of October.

The Gadfly
September 17th, 2007, 01:29 PM
First off, congrats to the Eagles for surviving @ Coastal.

Your QB, not your team or RB, should be ranked in the top 5 IMHO.

Your defense will fail you in the SoCon.

Now I know which school I hate the most in the SoCon due to lack of class from the fans, coach, and players. xnonox xcoffeex

ButlerGSU
September 17th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Now I know which school I hate the most in the SoCon due to lack of class from the fans, coach, and players. xnonox xcoffeex

?

mrklean
September 17th, 2007, 01:43 PM

HATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!xbawlingx

SO BITTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we did not have any class, we would have scored that last TD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JERK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GSUhooligan
September 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Fans, I'm sure there is a reason. But what did the coach or players do?

Laserlips
September 17th, 2007, 03:04 PM

JMOFO:

Jayson Foster made 6 individual touchdowns Saturday night.. Six touchdowns in one game EQUAL the all time td scoring record in the Socon, perhaps the nation.

Jayson Foster took a knee at the Coastal Carolina 5 yard line just before time expired... It is not too much of a stretch to consider than had Coach Hatcher wanted to do so he could very easily have allowed Jayson Foster to score ANOTHER touchdown, thereby SETTING A NEW RECORD..

If you think your defense could have stopped Jayson Foster from doing that very thing you obviously were not at the game.. Or watching the game. Jayson spent the entire game making your defense look like fools.. Harsh, but to anyone who saw the game it is absolutely true. If there was anybody in the stadium that was praying for time to expire it was your defense.

I can't speak for classless fans, or players, but I know Coach Hatcher is absolutely a classy coach, and I'll bet if you asked YOUR coach he would say the same thing.

I crack up every time I remember that huge running back of yours scoring a touchdown and then "showing his flexed bicep" to the crowd.. (The nearest referee had a quiet word with him about that).. That was class, right?

I have been reading all of the posts from both schools on this forum AND the GSU TSC forum, and I have found 99% positive posts regarding the game between GSU & Coastal Carolina and basically the only negative post I find is YOURS..

Maybe the problem is not with a classless GSU, but a classless YOU? xviolinx

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

walliver
September 17th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Georgia Southern is probably one of the top 25 teams in FCS, but, they haven't done anything yet to deserve to move into the rankings. Many Eagle fans want the "glory days" to be considered and put GSU well up in the polls, but, in fact, GSU is a team coming off a 3-8 season, which, so far this year has beat a D-II and a Tyler Thigpen-less Big South team. In fact, CCU was one of the three teams BVG was able to beat. If it were any other team than GSU, we would not be having this discussion.

pete4256
September 17th, 2007, 04:24 PM
No.

Grizo406
September 17th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I say yes, only because I'm a fan of GSU.

Look for MANY threads, with the same subject matter, concerning Montana next season.

Baldy
September 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Many? This is prolly page 6 or 7 of this thread and I have yet to see where any GSU fan "talk like it". xrolleyesx

Baldy
September 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM

WOW! Did the loss hurt that bad? xeyebrowx

Speaking of fans....strangely enough all I saw were the drunk obnoxious Coastal fans being escorted out of the stadium by the police, and it was the Coastal fans dropping the F bombs from the stands. Sorry.

Speaking of players...it was no coincidence that I heard more than one person reference your team as Coastal State Pen.

Grow up and quit being a hater. xthumbsupx

Eaglesrus
September 17th, 2007, 05:56 PM

Bitter are you? Still waiting to hear why you could possibly think that our coach suffers a lack of class. My condolences on your team not surviving GSU.

Laserlips
September 17th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Georgia Southern is probably one of the top 25 teams in FCS, but, they haven't done anything yet to deserve to move into the rankings. was able to beat. If it were any other team than GSU, we would not be having this discussion.

walliver:

You are probably correct. I'm a big GSU "homer" and I certainly haven't seen any reason our Eagles should be in the top anything.. Both games we have played have been plagued with too many penalties, porous defense, iffy pass receivers, and had it not been for Jayson Foster we could well have lost them both.

Some folks will disagree with me for sure, but in my mind GSU is first and foremost a football school.. We have a great deal of pride in our tradition of excelling in football and the 6 Championship flags flying in Paulson.. Just like any athlete who "WAS" hot stuff in days past we long for a resurgence in our program to the point we are again a "premier powerhouse" in the SOCON.. It leaves a bad taste in our mouths to be considered "has beens" and we long to regain what we consider our "rightful" place at or at the very least close to the top of the SOCON, every season.

Our GSU Eagle football program had been in decline long before the wannabe faux coach BVGOOOBER came to GSU last season and decimated what parts of the football program we had left. We all miss the triple option, but that, like Tara, is gone with the wind.

Fortunately Coach Hatcher has a "similiar" offense based on passing vs running and we have latched on Coach Hatcher and his vision of what GSU football CAN become like he is the 2nd coming of ERK Russell.

You have to forgive the over enthusiasm of some of our fans. It's easy to get overconfident and some of us have already fallen into that trap. I prefer to take one game at a time, and hope for steady improvement in all areas from one game to the next.

Truthfully our Eagles aren't that good right now.. Jayson IS that good right now, but we have several areas of game play that are woefully lacking in consistant good performance and execution. My hope is that Jayson will continue to carry us on his back until our weak areas can be strengthened, and maybe, just maybe we will be a pretty good football team this season, and better next year..

Hope dies hard in old farts, of which I "are one"...

I've said this in many posts but I'll say it again. Our Eagles aren't as good as most of us "homers" think, but our Eagles aren't as bad as some other folks think. The skill of Jayson Foster alone has caused many folks to overlook a couple of other very good runners, and our team overall , while still a work in progress has great potential..

The place in which we find ourselves two games into the 2007 season is a much better place than we found ourselves after two games in 2006, or even where we found ourselves at the end of that nightmare season.

My personal desire for this season is for our Eagles to play well enough to gain respect from our opponents.. I hope again for Paulson Stadium in Statesboro to be the stadium other teams hate to have to play in. It was that way in the past, and I think once Coach Hatcher has "his" recruits and program in place our Eagles will once again be a pretty tough team, and Paulson a pretty bad place for our opponents to play in.

Hey, we're already 2/3'rds of the way to matching the number of wins we had under the goober last year and we're only two games into the season..

Sorry to ramble.

J. Pomeroy

CID1990
September 17th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Sept. 22 Chattanooga
Sept. 29 W. Carolina
Oct. 6 S. Dakota St.
Oct. 13 at Elon
Oct. 27 The Citadel
Nov. 3 at Wofford
Nov. 10 Furman
Nov. 17 at Colorado St.

So we are overlooking Chatty are we? Next week could possibly be the most dangerous time of the season to play them. They will be pissed, and don't forget that their season starts anew next week. They can erase the last three weeks with a win over GSU. I wouldn't be surprised if this game was close.

Eaglesrus
September 17th, 2007, 06:50 PM
So we are overlooking Chatty are we? Next week could possibly be the most dangerous time of the season to play them. They will be pissed, and don't forget that their season starts anew next week. They can erase the last three weeks with a win over GSU. I wouldn't be surprised if this game was close.

Overlooking Chatty? After they beat us last year....don't think so. You realize that you quoted Hensrock, a Delaware fan, right?

CID1990
September 17th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Yes, I know who I was quoting. In saying "We", I mean all of us when we speculate that GSU could be 6-0 before a real test.

Laserlips
September 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Yes, I know who I was quoting. In saying "We", I mean all of us when we speculate that GSU could be 6-0 before a real test.

CID1990:

Hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid the game with SDSU WILL be a real test.. :(

J. Pomeroy

ronpayne
September 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM
ronpayne:

Hey, App State IS the best... Now.

Enjoy the time you have at the top of the heap.. Our GSU Eagles have had the good fortune to be there a few times ourselves, but the "sun don't shine on the same dog every day"...

Best Wishes, sorry to ramble.

J. Pomeroy

Good luck this season. I am glad that BVG is gone - GSU deserves better (and has it now), and I hope that our game vs. you is competitive (and and that we win). I agree with most of your post though - well said! Good luck this year - I'm pulling for GSU until you play us :-) And for the record, I think GSU is about 25th now (though i'm not very educated on other teams, and I admit this... now give me a marching band and I'll go for hours...), but keep winning, and I think you'll storm into the polls!

Seven Would Be Nice
September 17th, 2007, 07:50 PM

WE are classless??? Should I hop onto the CCU board and quote some of YOUR fans!? I haven't seen trash like that in a LONG time.

gsugt1
September 17th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Please give me some examples. As Baldy said all I saw was your fans being escorted out of the stadium.

IMO This is just another case of sour grapes.

Eaglesrus
September 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM

Okay, sorry, but I don't think many GSU fans, and I certainly hope that NO GSU players, are overlooking Chattanooga, or anybody else.

OL FU
September 18th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Many? This is prolly page 6 or 7 of this thread and I have yet to see where any GSU fan "talk like it". xrolleyesx

Ok the ones that post the most:p

Besides, this isn't the only threadxcoolxxsmiley_wix

To Baldy, the protector of truth, honesty and the GaSouthern Wayxthumbsupx

OK I looked at this thread and you are right:(

But there are other threadsxlolx

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Ok the ones that post the most:p

Besides, this isn't the only threadxcoolxxsmiley_wix

To Baldy, the protector of truth, honesty and the GaSouthern Wayxthumbsupx

OK I looked at this thread and you are right:(

But there are other threadsxlolx
It's sad when an ol...man of a certain age starts confusing his threads...xsmhx ;)

OL FU
September 18th, 2007, 07:59 AM
It's sad when an ol...man of a certain age starts confusing his threads...xsmhx ;)

Nothing new:o

You should see the clothes I have on todayxeekx

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Nothing new:o

You should see the clothes I have on todayxeekx
At least you remembered to put them on! xhurrayx

You did put the underwear on under the pants, right? xconfusedx

Death Dealer
September 18th, 2007, 08:26 AM
At least you remembered to put them on! xhurrayx

You did put the underwear on under the pants, right? xconfusedxHey, Superman gets away with it. Why not OL.xrolleyesx

OL FU
September 18th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Hey, Superman gets away with it. Why not OL.xrolleyesx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6101&d=1190121983

xeyebrowx I don't know about that guy but I have a penisxnodx

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 08:36 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6101&d=1190121983

xeyebrowx I don't know about that guy but I have a penisxnodx
Sometimes you just need to "tuck it" I guess. xeyebrowx

http://www.geocities.com/j33photos/photos/jaye_davidson_the_crying_game_1.jpg

OL FU
September 18th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Sometimes you just need to "tuck it" I guess. xeyebrowx

http://www.geocities.com/j33photos/photos/jaye_davidson_the_crying_game_1.jpg

Well now we know why Superman put a gun to his headxnodx

The Gadfly
September 18th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Please give me some examples. As Baldy said all I saw was your fans being escorted out of the stadium.

IMO This is just another case of sour grapes.

Naaah . . . just testing you guys out. Calm down . . . caaaaalm down. Your fans were awesome and extremely spirited.

Your new coach did a fine job and showed alot of class by having the O kneel.

Who was the drunk old man in over-alls? He kinda got on my nerves. And the two African-American Coastal fans who were harassing the GSU side were actually friends of mine and deserved to get kicked out (they actually got back in xoopsx ).

All and all I was very proud of our team and thought they did well. Coaching (defense), not the players, were the factor for us in this game. Take away #4 and it would have been a whole different story. But it that wasn't the case. Great game and I hope you guys keep playing us in the future.

Kill'em
September 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Why do you think some Georgia Southern fans think they should be ranked?

Because, in my opinion, which is just what the polls are, I feel we would beat the teams ranked lower than us. Should we be ranked high, NO! I we played App St, Furman, Wofford, and The Citadel this week we would lose. It is good to see we have room to move because it meansthere is room to move up. I remember several years we were ranked high, peaked at midseason and lost early in the playoffs. I'd rather climb the polls all season than fall from them.

blueballs
September 19th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Who was the drunk old man in over-alls? He kinda got on my nerves.

That was Doc and he probably wasn't drunk, what you saw is how he is. xlolx

He has been close to the program since its inception. He sits behind me at GSU and tailgates next to us (the Red Flag Gang)- a tremendous guy and nobody is more "true blue!"

Eaglesrus
September 19th, 2007, 09:14 AM
That was Doc and he probably wasn't drunk, what you saw is how he is. xlolx

He has been close to the program since its inception. He sits behind me at GSU and tailgates next to us (the Red Flag Gang)- a tremendous guy and nobody is more "true blue!"

Yeah, it was classic when he grabbed a GSU flag and jogged all the way around the field after one of our scores at Northeastern year before last!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 19th, 2007, 11:49 AM

GSU has a mental edge, too. We feel like we have something to prove and being excluded from the top 25 in every major FCS poll will intensify that mentality. Also don't forget how UTC beat us for the second time ever in the 20 or so game series and we will remember that.

If GSU's defense can improve to one that is mediocre by FCS standards (and I think we can) then we are a top ten team easily. At the very least you have to give GSU's offense a lot of credit. We have so many weapons in the running game (our starting RB from last year's running game that produced every positive thing that happened last year is a safety for crying out loud) that we will wear down any defensive front very quickly.

Kill'em
September 19th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Trust me, after going 3-8, none of us is overlooking Chattanooga. If anything, we are really excited to play them. They beat us last year and everyone remembers that. The team will be pumped for this game and the fans will be. I expect a big crowd again to see this game. Chattanooga better be ready.

lizrdgizrd
September 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Trust me, after going 3-8, none of us is overlooking Chattanooga. If anything, we are really excited to play them. They beat us last year and everyone remembers that. The team will be pumped for this game and the fans will be. I expect a big crowd again to see this game. Chattanooga better be ready.
At this point, I'm not sure they can be. :(