PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week 4

Saint3333
September 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Liberty @ Elon - I look for a lot of offense in this game with Elon coming out with a 10 point win.

ASU @ WC - Both teams look to improve off last week's performances, Wofford outgained NCSU, but TO and penalties were too much. Will Edwards play and can ASU's dline step up to stop WC's rush attack. - no prediction

PC @ WCU - WCU wins, but not as convincingly as SoCon fans would like.

UTC @ GSU - GSU/Foster scores in bunches and their defense plays better than last week, wins by 24.

Furman slips by a much needed BYE.

catamount man
September 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Elon by 14
ASU by 6
WCU by 14
GSU by 28

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

CID1990
September 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM
El Cid wins the bye.

pete4256
September 16th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Liberty @ Elon - Elon 35-17

ASU @ WC - ASU 31-27

PC @ WCU - WCU 24-21

UTC @ GSU - GSU 38-24

walliver
September 16th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Liberty @ Elon - Elon by 7

ASU @ WC - Terriers by 2 (I'm a homer)

PC @ WCU - Western has better players, but PC has a better coach, PC by 3 (I hope the cats prove me wrong - I'm not pulling for the hose)

UTC @ GSU - GSU scored a lot last night, but gave up a lot of points - I don't see the Mocs taking two in a row from Southern, GSU by 10

Bye @ Citadel - Bye easily outclasses Webber International, but the bulldogs win easily.

Bye @ Furman - With no D-1 wins in their first three games, the Horses are already behind the 8-ball. Furman wins easily (but unfortunately Bye is not D-I).

ncguitarplyr
September 16th, 2007, 02:49 PM
im interested to see how furman's qb matches up with bye's 3/4 nonexistent defensive scheme

OL FU
September 16th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Elon in a close one - less than one touchdown.
ASU by a touchdown
WCU by ten
GSU by 14.

Thank god FU has a bye before the SoCon schedule startsxnodx

furman94
September 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Liberty @ Elon - Elon by 7

ASU @ WC - Terriers by 2 (I'm a homer)

PC @ WCU - Western has better players, but PC has a better coach, PC by 3 (I hope the cats prove me wrong - I'm not pulling for the hose)

UTC @ GSU - GSU scored a lot last night, but gave up a lot of points - I don't see the Mocs taking two in a row from Southern, GSU by 10

Bye @ Citadel - Bye easily outclasses Webber International, but the bulldogs win easily.

Bye @ Furman - With no D-1 wins in their first three games, the Horses are already behind the 8-ball. Furman wins easily (but unfortunately Bye is not D-I).

Excuse you, but PC is now D1.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Good grief, you lose to two top 20 teams in their respective divisions on the road and even the Wofford fans start making jokes.

WCU LawCat
September 16th, 2007, 11:23 PM
ASU @ WC - I'm not saying Wofford is going to pull the upset but if they are able to frustrate App enough I think they can pull off a win at home.

PC @ WCU - I know this is really going to seem like a homer pick but The Catamounts are going to show out against PC. Western comes to life and crushes "the streak" with a 24 point victory.

UTC @ GSU - GSU 30's UTC 20's

Liberty @ Elon - Elon by 17

GaSouthern
September 17th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Woffie 3+ over ASU

WCU 21+ over PC

GSU 17+ over Chatty

Elon wins 21+

Bye weak(pun intended) plays and barely gets beat in a double header against da cit and Furple

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 06:04 AM

and in two weeks we get our second D-I winxthumbsupx

ElonPride
September 17th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Liberty @ Elon - I look for a lot of offense in this game with Elon coming out with a 10 point win.

ASU @ WC - Both teams look to improve off last week's performances, Wofford outgained NCSU, but TO and penalties were too much. Will Edwards play and can ASU's dline step up to stop WC's rush attack. - no prediction

PC @ WCU - WCU wins, but not as convincingly as SoCon fans would like.

UTC @ GSU - GSU/Foster scores in bunches and their defense plays better than last week, wins by 24.

Furman slips by a much needed BYE.

Elon/LU - too close to call
ASU/WC - ASU 14
PC/WCU - WCU by 7
UTC/GSU - GSU by 31

Mountaineer#96
September 17th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Elon - 24
Liberty - 21

Elon slips by at home in the fight of christian schools......

Georgia Southern - 31
U. Tenn Chatty - 17

Georgia Southern is rebuilding, but Chatty is down.

PC- 20
Cullowhee School Of the Arts - 14

.............xrolleyesx

App State - 35
Wofford - 23

This is the score with Elder starting at QB, see below if Armanti starts......

App State - 47 (Armanti in tow)
Wofford - 17

I hope I don't eat crow since Wofford scares me, and is the best coached team in FCS. IMO

ASUG8
September 17th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I'm worried about Wofford, Furman, and Citadel this year. Using El Cid's chearleaders and still beating a div-II team by 76 is impressive, plus the effort against Wisconsin this past week. Furman will be well rested and out for blood after an 0-2 start and the bye week. The WU game should be a good one, I just hope Armanti is back. Elder is capable clearly, but Armanti is a game changer.

GoldandBlack
September 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I'm worried about Wofford, Furman, and Citadel this year. Using El Cid's chearleaders and still beating a div-II team by 76 is impressive, plus the effort against Wisconsin this past week. Furman will be well rested and out for blood after an 0-2 start and the bye week. The WU game should be a good one, I just hope Armanti is back. Elder is capable clearly, but Armanti is a game changer.

I think most knowledgeable SoCon fans are aware that there is no easy road to the championship this year- this has the potential of being one of the toughest seasons in memory for everyone in the conference, or it could turn out just to the the same ol', same ol' once the results are in.

Based on the start of the season, I honestly have no idea what to expect in SoCon play (especially Furman and Wofford), but everybody will need to have their chinstraps on real tight, unless I miss my guess.

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 11:16 AM
App
GSU
Elon
WCU

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 11:20 AM
App
GSU
Elon
WCU
Gotta agree with the 'dog. xnodx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I think most knowledgeable SoCon fans are aware that there is no easy road to the championship this year- this has the potential of being one of the toughest seasons in memory for everyone in the conference, or it could turn out just to the the same ol', same ol' once the results are in.

Based on the start of the season, I honestly have no idea what to expect in SoCon play (especially Furman and Wofford), but everybody will need to have their chinstraps on real tight, unless I miss my guess.

I still think ASU is a fairly safe bet to win the conference, but as for second place I think everyone else other than Western and Chatty has a shot.

If GSU's defense gets better I think we will take home the silver for this year. We have a mental advantage in wanting to make up for last year's embarassment. The Elon and The Citadel games scare me the most because we probably won't be as focused for them as we will be for all of the others. If we win both of those, I think we have a very good chance of not loosing more than 3. Wofford is on the top of our hit-list after beating us 28-10 in Paulson and losing 4 of the last 5 to them.

Now, as for this week...

Furman - off
The Citadel - off

Elon versus Liberty - Elon proves that they are for real and gets into the top 25 after this week.
Elon - 38
Liberty - 17

Georgia Southern versus Chattanooga - everyone knows we have a good offense, but I am going to do a homer prediction and say that the D gets better
GSU - 48
UTC - 7

Western Carolina versus Presbyterian - Western should win this one...I hope they do so the Socon's OOC record won't be too bad
Western - 28
PC - 17

Appalachian State versus Wofford - this may be the Socon game of the year. Based on the score Wofford didn't look too great against an NC State team (didn't listen to the game, though, so tell me if I am wrong) but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and just say it was a bad day. I think ASU's O matches up against the Wofford D better than the Wofford O matches up against the ASU D, and that will be the deciding factor.
ASU - 34
Wofford - 28

The Socon should have 6 teams in the top 25 after this week, assuming that Furman doesn't drop too far for getting clobbered by Clemson.

appfan2008
September 17th, 2007, 11:52 AM
the only three games i am worried about this year are all in the old south state. the first one is this weekend and while i am confident the neers will return with a w... i am sure it is going to be a dogfight just like last years 14-7 nailbiter

ElonPride
September 17th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Elon versus Liberty - Elon proves that they are for real and gets into the top 25 after this week.
Elon - 38
Liberty - 17

[/I]

You think? I think this game will be CLOSER than most think.

appfan2008
September 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM
even if that lu/eu game is closer i really hope elon can talk it we dont need to lose to the big south

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Woffords key to victory will be to hold onto the football. The Terriers can be very effective in just not letting the other team have the ball back. Long, sustained drives, no turnovers, and good field position will be the key.

App can score on anyone, but their defense is not the dominate unit it was last year (still very good, but not lights out). If Wofford can keep the ball out of Edwards hands, they stand a good chance. The Terriers just have to avoid a shootout.

NashMoc
September 17th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Liberty @ Elon - I believe that Elon is making positive strides under Lembo and they take care of business against the Flames. Elon 17 Liberty 13

Appalachain @ Wofford - For some reason maybe it's Wofford size (school not team) that makes it hard for me to believe that they can be competitive. Then the hang 55 on the Mocs and I remember that they are good. However, Appy is really good. ASU 27 - Terriers 17

PC @ WCU I think that the Catamounts squeak out a win versus the Blue Hose. WCU 13 - Hose 10.

UTC @ GSU - The Mocs took advantage of poor coaching and really poor kicking last year to finally beat the Eagles. BVG is gone, Chris Hatcher is in. Coach Hatch has not insisted on installing his full offense in Year 1, he knows to adjust to the strengths of the players he has on the roster. Jayson Foster is scary good. GSU wins in the "Boro" UTC 16 - GSU 31

Black and Gold Express
September 17th, 2007, 01:48 PM
My picks: GSU by 24; WCU by 10; Elon by 10; ASU by 17.

No offense to anyone in the SoCon this year, but I'm not giving any team the benefit of the doubt towards beating us if we don't give a lot of help. We just took down what I think is a definite playoff-caliber team in NAU by 13, with their last 7 coming in garbage time after the game was over.

Wofford played us close last year, but it was in large part to a slew of bad plays and turnovers. Not unlike the GSU game (the only other close SoCon game last year). It was also Armati's first real test as a quarterback, IIRC. And I remember a lot of people picking Wofford to upset us in their yard back in 2005, and the game was over before halftime.

I'm not saying Wofford cannot beat us. The same goes for any SoCon team. But I've gotten to watch all the major players now, and the only team that scares me is GSU, with Foster back in command. Wofford and The Citadel will have to prove me wrong, but if we don't have a rash of turnovers I can't see either of those games being less than 14 point wins for the Apps. And right now Furman looks like a bottom-half team in the SoCon, a real surprise to me but I've seen little out of them that is cause for optimism in Greenville right now.

I would not be surprised to see ASU and GSU make the playoffs this year, and if we do get a third team in, it could well come down to Wofford and The Citadel, in that order. But I think (and that's worth less than the cost of the bandwidth to send this message) that there is a pretty good sized gap growing between ASU and GSU and the rest of the SoCon right now, because those two teams have at quarterback the two best playmakers in the SoCon, players that get the ball every down, and both play good defense that should get better with experience as the season goes on.

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 01:54 PM

No offense to anyone in the SoCon this year, but I'm not giving any team the benefit of the doubt towards beating us if we don't give a lot of help. We just took down what I think is a definite playoff-caliber team in NAU by 13, with their last 7 coming in garbage time after the game was over.

Wofford played us close last year, but it was in large part to a slew of bad plays and turnovers. Not unlike the GSU game (the only other close SoCon game last year). It was also Armati's first real test as a quarterback, IIRC. And I remember a lot of people picking Wofford to upset us in their yard back in 2005, and the game was over before halftime.

I'm not saying Wofford cannot beat us. The same goes for any SoCon team. But I've gotten to watch all the major players now, and the only team that scares me is GSU, with Foster back in command. Wofford and The Citadel will have to prove me wrong, but if we don't have a rash of turnovers I can't see either of those games being less than 14 point wins for the Apps. And right now Furman looks like a bottom-half team in the SoCon, a real surprise to me but I've seen little out of them that is cause for optimism in Greenville right now.

I would not be surprised to see ASU and GSU make the playoffs this year, and if we do get a third team in, it could well come down to Wofford and The Citadel, in that order. But I think (and that's worth less than the cost of the bandwidth to send this message) that there is a pretty good sized gap growing between ASU and GSU and the rest of the SoCon right now, because those two teams have at quarterback the two best playmakers in the SoCon, players that get the ball every down, and both play good defense that should get better with experience as the season goes on.

Looking forward to a slew of bad plays and turnoversxthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Haven't you guys already made enough of those? :p

It's not like you get a better draft pick if you're 1-10. xsmiley_wix

Black and Gold Express
September 17th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Me too. By Furman... xthumbsupx
And Wofford... xthumbsupx
And The Citadel... xthumbsupx
and... :)

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Haven't you guys already made enough of those? :p

It's not like you get a better draft pick if you're 1-10. xsmiley_wix

Yep we have hit our quota. Here's to us passing the torchxnodx

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Yep we have hit our quota. Here's to us passing the torchxnodx
Go ahead and pass it to Wofford. They're closest to you anyway. xlolx

Death Dealer
September 17th, 2007, 02:09 PM

I would not be surprised to see ASU and GSU make the playoffs this year, and if we do get a third team in, it could well come down to Wofford and The Citadel, in that order. But I think (and that's worth less than the cost of the bandwidth to send this message) that there is a pretty good sized gap growing between ASU and GSU and the rest of the SoCon right now, because those two teams have at quarterback the two best playmakers in the SoCon, players that get the ball every down, and both play good defense that should get better with experience as the season goes on.I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut about all of it.xwhistlex We shall see, there is a lot of football left to play.xcoolx

WoCoTerrier
September 17th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Go ahead and pass it to Wofford. They're closest to you anyway. xlolx

Well, you can give it to us, but we hit our quota against NC State, so its on its way up to Boone.

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Well, you can give it to us, but we hit our quota against NC State, so its on its way up to Boone.
Why not just drop it off at Davidson, that's on the way. xwhistlex

Jiggs
Originally Posted by walliver
Samford plays PC. If they don't win, maybe we should reconsider their invitation

So what happens to WCU if they lose to PC?

citdog
I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut about all of it.xwhistlex We shall see, there is a lot of football left to play.xcoolx

me too. but say again......

IT'S GONNA TAKE ONE HELL OF A TEAM TO COME INTO GENERAL HAGOOD CSA'S HOUSE AND BEAT THE 'DOGS IN FRONT OF THE SOUTH CAROLINA CORPS OF CADETS.

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:25 PM
So what happens to WCU if they lose to PC?
We kick them out and take PC. xlolx

Mountaineer#96
September 17th, 2007, 02:26 PM
On Nov. 3rd we might just be ya'lls huckleberry......CADETS.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM

I agree that Furman doesn't look too hot, but this is the Socon and Furman could lose every game up to October 27 and still beat you guys - they have the athletes. And I would be careful about dismissing The Citadel as just being hype. Even when they were not very good, they have given all of us Socon big boys fits even on our better years.

As for the GSU App State game, I think App State may very well see the best offense GSU has had seen since 2001, but a defense that isn't as good as last year's. Last year GSU's good line and linebackers forced those turnovers and most of our stars from that group are now gone.

You guys do have a tough road ahead of you, but you aren't any less beatable this year than last year (e.g. not very beatable). Just keep in mind that things can happen. In 2001 we looked like a team that was going to three-peat and be 15-0 but we stumbled at East Tennessee State with our 3rd string QB and no Adrian Peterson...then in the semis, we had a 17-7 lead over a very good Furman team at half time and one fumble pretty much broke our backs and we were shut out 17-0 in the second half.

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM
On Nov. 3rd we might just be ya'lls huckleberry

OR PERHAPS DINGLE

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM
OR PERHAPS DINGLE
No, Dingle Martin played for Furman, but he's graduated already.

WoCoTerrier
September 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Why not just drop it off at Davidson, that's on the way. xwhistlex

We will gladly do that once basketball rolls around, but until then, its all yours!

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 02:33 PM
We will gladly do that once basketball rolls around, but until then, its all yours!

WHAT IS THIS BASKETBALL?

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I think it's too late and WCU already stole it from Furman! xlolx xlolx

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM
WHAT IS THIS BASKETBALL?
xconfusedx

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
xconfusedx

I DON'T KNOW EITHER, NEVER HEARD OF IT!

WoCoTerrier
September 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM
xconfusedx

Sorry, its from a foreign language. But since you don't know of basketball, how do you know of Davidson?

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Sorry, its from a foreign language. But since you don't know of basketball, how do you know of Davidson?
My grandfather went to school there. They are also a football team in my state. Besides they are a PFL powerhouse! xsmiley_wix

Death Dealer
September 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Hey, that's Mr. Dingle to you!xmadx

xsmiley_wix

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM

is it time to reprise my famous thread "Dingleberry Martin and FU prove how much they suck"?

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 03:25 PM
is it time to reprise my famous thread "Dingleberry Martin and FU prove how much they suck"?
I think a link would do us good. xthumbsupx

walliver
September 17th, 2007, 03:33 PM

PC is a transitional team in the "exploratory year", and, unless the NCAA changed the rules (which they do so frequently I can't keep up), they do not count as a D-I win. They will next year, but not this year.

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 03:35 PM
"exploratory year",

like when capn cat went gay

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
like when capn cat went gay
did he ever go back? xconfusedx

pete4256
September 17th, 2007, 04:08 PM
As for the GSU App State game, I think App State may very well see the best offense GSU has had seen since 2001, but a defense that isn't as good as last year's. Last year GSU's good line and linebackers forced those turnovers and most of our stars from that group are now gone.

GSU had a better offense in 2002 (arguably), 2004, and 2005 than they did in 2001.

This year's offense has not shown me yet that they're anywhere close to any of those squads.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2007, 04:37 PM
GSU had a better offense in 2002 (arguably), 2004, and 2005 than they did in 2001.

This year's offense has not shown me yet that they're anywhere close to any of those squads.

The fact that we are averaging 43.5 points a game in the first two games doesn't show you that? How many did we average in the first two games in '05? 30.5, and I don't think the competition was much better. Neither one of the teams were in the playoffs - Northeastern was 2-9 and McNeese State was 7-4.

Come on, at least you have to be thinking we are as good as we were in '05 when Jermaine Austin was the running back and Jayson Foster was the quarterback.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM
2004 seemed to be a good year for your O with Chaz and Austin running the show.

CID1990
September 17th, 2007, 06:28 PM
My grandfather went to school there. They are also a football team in my state. Besides they are a PFL powerhouse! xsmiley_wix

I have always thought that we should give Davidson the ultimatum that they should play football in the SoCon or get the hell out. The SoCon is NOT as basketball conference, yet we act like one since all members play basketball but not all members play football.

Unfortunately, College of Charleston won't start playing football. We destroyed their program in 1909 when we beat them like 77-0. They dropped their football team after that game.

Either way, I think it is time for CofC, Davidson and UNCG to buck up or piss off.

james_lawfirm
September 17th, 2007, 07:48 PM
me too. but say again......

IT'S GONNA TAKE ONE HELL OF A TEAM TO COME INTO GENERAL HAGOOD CSA'S HOUSE AND BEAT THE 'DOGS IN FRONT OF THE SOUTH CAROLINA CORPS OF CADETS.

Citdog:

I agree with the above. I think I know a team that might do it on Nov. 3 (I think). But The Citadel appears to have one hell of a team as well. This may be the game to decide the SoCon.

I've never been to Johnson-Hagood Stadium, but we have tickets for this year. We'll be tailgating. Any chance you'll come visit us? I would be delighted to offer you a beer myself. Let me know.

james_lawfirm
September 17th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I have always thought that we should give Davidson the ultimatum that they should play football in the SoCon or get the hell out. The SoCon is NOT as basketball conference, yet we act like one since all members play basketball but not all members play football.

Unfortunately, College of Charleston won't start playing football. We destroyed their program in 1909 when we beat them like 77-0. They dropped their football team after that game.

Either way, I think it is time for CofC, Davidson and UNCG to buck up or piss off.

Interesting idea. However, Davidson has chosen not to offer scholarships for football. I don't think you can force them to. UNCG, unless I am mistaken, is mostly women. I know nothing about CofC. Ya' reckon they remember that 1909 shellacking? Doubtful.

If you are looking for better competition in SoCon football, it seems to me that Coastal Carolina is the best bet. Who voted for Samford anyway?

SuperJon
September 17th, 2007, 09:10 PM
UNCG, unless I am mistaken, is mostly women.

And gay guys, but that's pretty much the same.

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Interesting idea. However, Davidson has chosen not to offer scholarships for football. I don't think you can force them to. UNCG, unless I am mistaken, is mostly women. I know nothing about CofC. Ya' reckon they remember that 1909 shellacking? Doubtful.

If you are looking for better competition in SoCon football, it seems to me that Coastal Carolina is the best bet. Who voted for Samford anyway?
Yeah, I don't think Davidson is about to start offering scholarships any time soon. UNCG keeps making noise about starting football but so far nothing's come of it. CofC, they'd have really hot cheerleaders at least. xthumbsupx

gvilleapp
September 17th, 2007, 09:38 PM

Hurrumph...

OL FU
September 18th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Stop picking on Davidson. They play in the PFL with San Diego and Drakexnodx

xrolleyesx xlolx

terrierbob
September 18th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Is there an official stance on this by the SOCON?

OL FU
September 18th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Is there an official stance on this by the SOCON?

My guess is we may add more basketball (no football) schools. The new commish talked at one point of expanding to 14 or 16 schools. I would have preferred to have schools that participate in football. But it seems to me that the decision is made. Also, I suppose the other way to look at it is, while not every year but most years, CofC and Davidson are the best Bball teams in the conference.

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 07:53 AM
My guess is we may add more basketball (no football) schools. The new commish talked at one point of expanding to 14 or 16 schools. I would have preferred to have schools that participate in football. But it seems to me that the decision is made. Also, I suppose the other way to look at it is, while not every year but most years, CofC and Davidson are the best Bball teams in the conference.
All the more reason to get rid of them and let someone else have a chance! xlolx xlolx xlolx

thirdgendin
September 18th, 2007, 08:08 AM
PC is a transitional team in the "exploratory year", and, unless the NCAA changed the rules (which they do so frequently I can't keep up), they do not count as a D-I win. They will next year, but not this year.

From what I've heard, they do count as a D-I win this year because they are playing a "Division I schedule."

RabidRabbit
September 18th, 2007, 08:51 AM
From what I've heard, they do count as a D-I win this year because they are playing a "Division I schedule."

Walliver is correct. First year transitionals do NOT count as D-I games.

If Presbyterian were to win the Big South, they still wouldn't count.

Next year, even if they play an exclusively D-I schedule, North Dakota and U So. Dak. will not be "Counters" for D-I wins.

That could be the reason in 2004 for a 9-2 Cal Poly team to be denied a play-off spot because two of their wins were over a first year transitional SDSU & NDSU.

CID1990
September 18th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Ya' reckon they remember that 1909 shellacking? Doubtful.

Nope, but we like knowing that we convinced them to stop playing football.

CID1990
September 18th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Why shouldn't the conference require member schools to participate in all major sports? Can you imagine the ACC picking up Villanova or Georgetown just for the basketball?

It is a shame that the SoCon is and always has been known as a football conference, yet almost a quarter of the conference doesn't even participate in football. I don't take as much issue with allowing Samford in the conference as many of you, because unlike CofC, Davidson and UNCG, THEY play football.

Geographically speaking, CCU is a better fit than Samford, but as far as the quality of their football programs, it could be argued that Samford is no worse than CCU this year.

OL FU
September 18th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Why shouldn't the conference require member schools to participate in all major sports? Can you imagine the ACC picking up Villanova or Georgetown just for the basketball?

It is a shame that the SoCon is and always has been known as a football conference, yet almost a quarter of the conference doesn't even participate in football. I don't take as much issue with allowing Samford in the conference as many of you, because unlike CofC, Davidson and UNCG, THEY play football.

Geographically speaking, CCU is a better fit than Samford, but as far as the quality of their football programs, it could be argued that Samford is no worse than CCU this year.

No doubt we have been football oriented since probably the 80s when we entered the I-AA era. Probably basketball in the 50s with WVA, 60s with Davidson and 70s with Furman (although Furman never really reached the heights of the previous two).

The Samford CCU argument is one where I wish the presidents and ADs discussed the reasoning in the open. ( I know why they don't). I don't have the problem with Samford that many do either but I would have preferred CCU. They obviously are willing to spend the money on Football coming out of the gate doing so. One guess is that we are over loaded with SC schools which impacts recruiting etc. Another is the smaller schools wanted to add another smaller school Another is to expand geographically (whether Samford has any market pull in Alabama is not the issue, it still gets the SoCon in Alabama). Another possibility is stability. Who knows if CCU won't try to make a jump to I-A down the road. From a student body size and funding standpoint they seem capable.

On the other hand, I agree with you. I don't think it was a good idea to exempt schools from football. If Furman, Wofford, Citadel, Elon and Samford can afford football, so can Davidsonxnodx

Jiggs
September 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM

The invitation was accepted by Samford following a unanimous vote by the Southern Conference presidents.

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM
The invitation was accepted by Samford following a unanimous vote by the Southern Conference presidents.
But what do presidents know? xrolleyesx

We'll just have to wait and see if their choice was a good one or not. xcoffeex

Jiggs
September 18th, 2007, 01:02 PM
But what do presidents know? xrolleyesx

We'll just have to wait and see if their choice was a good one or not. xcoffeex

Enough to be in a position to make these types of decisions.

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Enough to be in a position to make these types of decisions.
Note: xrolleyesx indicates that the previous text was meant sarcastically. xthumbsupx

mlbowl
September 18th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Note: xrolleyesx indicates that the previous text was meant sarcastically. xthumbsupx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

ASUG8
September 18th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Didn't you just destroy a different program 76-0?

Also, UNCG has a football program - it just involves a round black and white ball and no pads.

gvilleapp
September 18th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Also, UNCG has a football program - it just involves a round black and white ball and no pads.

That's futball

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 04:05 PM

In the US, this is football:

http://online.lovetoknow.com/wiki/images/Online/5/53/Yahoo_Fantasy_Football.jpg

and this is soccer:

http://www.burlingtonrecplex.com/images/kids%20soccer%204.jpg

CID1990
September 18th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Yeah, but we were holding back on that one. They were just so bad that we couldn't help scoring, even our defense got in on it.

The difference is that I am sure we hated CofC just as much back then as we do now and were trying to kill them.

CID1990
September 18th, 2007, 04:06 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LizrdGizrd again.

terrierbob
September 18th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Yeah, but we were holding back on that one. They were just so bad that we couldn't help scoring, even our defense got in on it.

The difference is that I am sure we hated CofC just as much back then as we do now and were trying to kill them.

Any background on The Citadel's loathing of C sq.?

Mountaineer#96
September 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM
The two schools hate each other b/c one is a conservative military school and the other is a left wing liberal arts school located in the same city. Not to mention they battle for resources from the state of South Carolina.

terrierbob
September 19th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Gotcha. Wasn't aware of the CC left tilt.

OL FU
September 19th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Gotcha. Wasn't aware of the CC left tilt.

And because one is full of hot chicks and the other is full of ugly dudesxnodx

Mountaineer#96
September 19th, 2007, 01:21 PM
And because one is full of hot chicks and the other is full of ugly dudesxnodx

Hahaha that too xlolx

walliver
September 19th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Citadel - Where the men are men and the women are, too.

College of Knowledge - Where the women are pretty and the boys are, too.

GaSouthern
September 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Citadel - Where the men are men and the women are, too.

College of Knowledge - Where the women are pretty and the boys are, too.

HAHAHA xlolx

MaxASU'81
September 19th, 2007, 08:03 PM
CITDOG

You got it going on!

appfan2008
September 19th, 2007, 09:36 PM
it must be rough to share a city with another major university... let alone in your conference...
it is nice to be the only school in the city

walliver
September 19th, 2007, 09:39 PM
it must be rough to share a city with another major university... let alone in your conference...
it is nice to be the only school in the city

Citadel also has to share the city with ... Johnson and Wales.

appfan2008
September 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM

???

mistersykes
September 19th, 2007, 10:29 PM
???

Johnson and Wales is one of the best culinary schools in the East. They have several campuses.

OL FU
September 20th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Since I will be in the car part of the time on Saturday, any one know if there is an ASU station that reaches Greenville?

The Wofford people have been kind enough to tell me 1400 on the AM dial but my recollection is that it is difficult to pick up in Greenville.

Death Dealer
September 20th, 2007, 09:49 AM
J&W closed their Charleston campus a few years ago. Tri-County tech now uses those facilities I believe.

CharlestonAppFan
September 20th, 2007, 10:08 AM
J&W closed their Charleston campus a few years ago. Tri-County tech now uses those facilities I believe.

you are correct Death man; J & W moved to Charlotte...although it's Trident Tech, not Tri-County.

WCU LawCat
September 20th, 2007, 02:20 PM
OlL FU

Here in Rock Hill you can barely get ASU on FM 97.3 and it comes in loud and clear sometimes on 106.1.

From what I have been told 1400 am in hendersonville is a Catamount station.

OL FU
September 20th, 2007, 02:42 PM
OlL FU

Here in Rock Hill you can barely get ASU on FM 97.3 and it comes in loud and clear sometimes on 106.1.

From what I have been told 1400 am in hendersonville is a Catamount station.

xthumbsupx