PDA

View Full Version : CAA looking good

ChickenMan
September 16th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Early on the CAA looks to be pretty strong again this year...

North

UMass (3-0).. with a including a big win over Towson.. (2-0) OOC

UNH (1-1).. loss at JMU.. but a big FBS win at Marshall.. (1-0) OOC

Hofstra (2-0).. big win vs Furman.. (2-0) OOC

Northeastern (1-2).. lost to UR & N'western .. big win over NE St.. (1-1) OOC

Maine (1-2).. OT loss at Nova.. (1-1) OOC

URI (0-3).. two closes OOC and blown out at UD.. (0-2) OOC

South

JMU (2-1).. loss at UNC.. big win over UNH.. (1-1) OOC

Delaware (3-0).. two big league wins.. (1-0) OOC

Richmond (1-1).. loss at Vandy.. big win at N'eastern (0-1) OOC

Villanova (2-1).. loss at Maryland.. win at Lehigh.. (1-1) OOC

W&M (2-1).. loss to UD.. (2-0) OOC

Towson (2-1).. loss at UMass (2-0) OCC

OOC.. record is 14-7.. however vs FCS opponents the CAA OOC mark is.... 12-1.... :D

TheValleyRaider
September 16th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Maine (1-1).. OT loss at Nova.. (1-0) OOC

Not so fast there, Maine did lose at UConn xnodx

Or does that still count as a conference loss? :p

ChickenMan
September 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Not so fast there, Maine did lose at UConn xnodx

Or does that still count as a conference loss? :p

Correction made.. but still 12-1 vs the FCS.. ;)

Old Cage
September 16th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Us beating Towson is a big win?

My goodness. Who knew?

Tribe4SF
September 16th, 2007, 10:26 AM
The conference is looking as competitive as ever. The biggest surprises so far are Hofstra and Villanova, two teams I thought would struggle this year. Villanova's win over Lehigh took on added lustre as Lehigh downed a good Princeton team.

TigerFan17
September 16th, 2007, 01:28 PM

My goodness. Who knew?

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Umass74
September 16th, 2007, 01:40 PM
UMass' wins over Colgate and Holy Cross are looking good. Colgate won this week and Holy Cross knocked off Harvard.xthumbsupx

bkrownd
September 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM

My goodness. Who knew?

this ain't yer father's ho-hum towson

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2007, 02:58 PM

My goodness. Who knew?

Sometimes it's so hard to give kudos to UMass xrotatehx

ChickenMan
September 16th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Sometimes it's so hard to give kudos to UMass xrotatehx

the best thing I can say about UMass is.. they aren't Villanova... :p

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2007, 03:22 PM

That's a lot better than i can say xnodx

Old Cage
September 16th, 2007, 03:39 PM
A little explanation, which might get me further in the hole:

1. Last year we beat UNH twice, beat Montana, lost a close one to Navy, and played App. State well. In two weeks we play Boston College.

2. Many of the season ticket holders seated around me did not know that Towson is in our conference. Not smack, just the truth.

3. Our football team has played for the national championship, winning it in 98, hoops has been to the Final Four, hockey just went to the NCAA tournament and made the Sweet Sixteen, and lax played before 60,000+ in the Final Four semis and final game in Philly.

Towson played very well early. Right now you can debate whether or not we have a higher level of athlete but, most importantly, we have more of them. We played maybe 40 guys, not counting the folks who played the last 4-5 minutes.

Football is "different" in Massachusetts. If it had not been band alumni day, we would not have crossed the 8,000 mark on a rainy Saturday. Certainly, this was not "big game" in the eyes of the 10,000+ that came dressed as empty seats.

89Hen
September 16th, 2007, 03:41 PM
2. Many of the season ticket holders seated around me did not know that Towson is in our conference. Not smack, just the truth.
Not the truth... there weren't many ticket holders at the game. xcoffeex :p

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 16th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Or Delaware! xsmiley_wix

GannonFan
September 16th, 2007, 04:17 PM
A little explanation, which might get me further in the hole:

1. Last year we beat UNH twice, beat Montana, lost a close one to Navy, and played App. State well. In two weeks we play Boston College.

3. Our football team has played for the national championship, winning it in 98, hoops has been to the Final Four, hockey just went to the NCAA tournament and made the Sweet Sixteen, and lax played before 60,000+ in the Final Four semis and final game in Philly.

Towson played very well early. Right now you can debate whether or not we have a higher level of athlete but, most importantly, we have more of them. We played maybe 40 guys, not counting the folks who played the last 4-5 minutes.

Football is "different" in Massachusetts. If it had not been band alumni day, we would not have crossed the 8,000 mark on a rainy Saturday. Certainly, this was not "big game" in the eyes of the 10,000+ that came dressed as empty seats.

To sum that up, you're basically saying that UMass fans know very little about their football team. Heck, this isn't the first year you guys have played Towson. xnonox

Dane96
September 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Mass is good, early this season i thought mass would be able to hang with BC, i have tickets on the 50, anyway after watching BC beat GT last night im not so sure, BC looked real good, although GT QB is not as good as Coen, any thuoghts?

Not a chance in hell. BC is looking like a team on a mission...and a team that could potentially run the table to 7-0 before their first big test.

Matt Ryan...looks unstoppable right now.

BDKJMU
September 16th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Early on the CAA looks to be pretty strong again this year...

North

UMass (3-0).. with a including a big win over Towson.. (2-0) OOC

UNH (1-1).. loss at JMU.. but a big FBS win at Marshall.. (1-0) OOC

Hofstra (2-0).. big win vs Furman.. (2-0) OOC

Northeastern (1-2).. lost to UR & N'western .. big win over NE St.. (1-1) OOC

Maine (1-2).. OT loss at Nova.. (1-1) OOC

URI (0-3).. two closes OOC and blown out at UD.. (0-2) OOC

South

JMU (2-1).. loss at UNC.. big win over UNH.. (1-1) OOC

Delaware (3-0).. two big league wins.. (1-0) OOC

Richmond (1-1).. loss at Vandy.. big win at N'eastern (0-1) OOC

Villanova (2-1).. loss at Maryland.. win at Lehigh.. (1-1) OOC

W&M (2-1).. loss to UD.. (2-0) OOC

Towson (2-1).. loss at UMass (2-0) OCC

OOC.. record is 14-7.. however vs FCS opponents the CAA OOC mark is.... 12-1.... :D

Ditto, Chicken. I said it at the beginning of the season, and I'll say it again, CAA will get 4 teams in the playoffs like 04'. I predicted they would be UMass & UNH in the north, and JMU & UD in the South. And I still say that. And if one of those 4 falters, Hofstra might have the best chance of anyone, as they have the easier schedule in that they don't have to play the tougher half of the CAA South (JMU, UD, UR).

-UR's offense has looked really good, including against Vandy, and wow, that was an impressive win against Northeastern at Parsons

-Nova only lost to the Terps 31-14, and had impressive wins over Lehigh 30-20 and in OT vs Maine.

-W&M has looked great offensively, defense a different matter

-Towson I know was only down to UMass 19-13 late in the 3rd before Umass scored the final 17, including a pick for 6 off of a Schaeffer pass. I see the stat line shows 284 total yards Towson to 306 for UMass, but it looks like Towson's running game is rather weak.

Problem with UR, Nova, Towson, or W&M making the playoffs is that they all have to:
-play each other
-play JMU
-play UD
-play UNH (UR) and Umass (Nova & W&M)

They'll probably all finish 7-4 to 5-6.

QB play in the CAA has probably never been better. Returning stars from last year Santos, Flacco, Coen, & Schaeffer. Plus Ward (UR) & Phillips (W&M) HUGE improvements over last year. New starters Landers and the Qbs from Nova and Hofstra doing very well.

umassfan
September 16th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Not the truth... there weren't many ticket holders at the game. xcoffeex :p

Dude you saw the away side so get a clue will ya.

umassfan
September 16th, 2007, 10:05 PM
To sum that up, you're basically saying that UMass fans know very little about their football team. Heck, this isn't the first year you guys have played Towson. xnonox

It is the first time we have played them in Amherst though. Its not like we struggle with them every year like Delaware. There is not built in hate for them like URI, UNH, Delaware, JMU, NU, Nova...

charliej
September 16th, 2007, 10:10 PM
In my opinion ANY conference win...is a big win. xnodx
It is good to see teams doing well OOC.

Maroon&White
September 16th, 2007, 10:34 PM

How is a few people not knowing Towson is in the CAA mean UMass fans don't know anything about their team. Towson isn't their team. Ahh, UD fans.xlolx

TigerFan17
September 16th, 2007, 11:41 PM
To me "fans" of a football team that don't even know the rest of the conference teams aren't really fans. Lets not forget that the word fan is short for fanatical.

We have furthered our success in every year of the A-10/CAA and we have what could be a good team this year if we can figure out why we're making so many stupid mistakes (like snapping punts over heads out of the endzone, bobbling perfect punt snaps then falling on it, throwing interceptions in the red zone when we're driving to make it a 2 pt. game that was nothing but a poor, poor pass which is run back for a touchdown so all of a sudden its a 16 pt game...etc)

We knew going into this game that lady luck would have to be on our side because the UMass lines were likely to just dominate us along with all those crazy blitz packages, and luck didn't go our way...UMass capitalized on our mistakes and won.

UMass is a quality team and will likely go far.

However, you are represented here by some really arrogant and strangely inclined to induce piss matches folks here. I mean this is a CAA is looking good thread and it took just a few posts for the trash to come.

Your opinion, unfortunately, doesn't matter. Towson is a full-sports CAA member. So maybe we should be asking what are YOU doing in OUR conference?

xreadx

EmeryZach
September 16th, 2007, 11:48 PM
UMass is gonna lose a couple bad games this season. The pass defense is absolutely horrible. Anyone can throw on us, and will, all day long. We are gonna be in for long days against BC (who will beat us 55-24) and UNH (who will beat us 41-38). We can't stop the pass, it's just that simple. That leaves us very open for losses.

Remember this post when it comes true. UMass will be in trouble because of horrible pass defense and too many stupid penalties.

UMassive
September 17th, 2007, 12:56 AM
The pass defense is absolutely horrible. Anyone can throw on us, and will, all day long. We are gonna be in for long days against BC (who will beat us 55-24).

I agree with everything you said but the projected score. I hate BC but their run defense has been outstanding and without Listorti we will be lucky to put up 13 points. (2) field goals and a touchdown. I am expecting Coen to be hobbled and he would have really gone to Listorti as a release. Also, if the secondary does not make some dramatic improvements playing as a unit then we will assist in Ryans Heisman campaign. Man he looks good! One area I believe we have shown exceptional depth and athletic talent is special teams. We will need a couple big breaks to even hang around in this one I think.

umassfan
September 17th, 2007, 01:45 AM
UMass is gonna lose a couple bad games this season. The pass defense is absolutely horrible. Anyone can throw on us, and will, all day long. We are gonna be in for long days against BC (who will beat us 55-24) and UNH (who will beat us 41-38). We can't stop the pass, it's just that simple. That leaves us very open for losses.

Remember this post when it comes true. UMass will be in trouble because of horrible pass defense and too many stupid penalties.

We will make up for the lack of exp our DBs have with our blitz packages. We did it vs Towson and can do it vs anyone. As the year progresses... they will only get better.

andy7171
September 17th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Just my two cents here, Towson was competitive in the UMass game for 3 quarters, when Schaefer threw the 90 yrd interception for a TD. The previous drive Towson had a FG blocked. So when you think about it, if those tow play go our way, the score COULD have been 22-22 or at least 22-19. However, UMass was the better team by far and was expected to win, and win big.
I came away from the game thinking, 1- Towson better get their heads on straight or else they aren't going to win many more games. And 2- UMass hasn't played a full 4 quarters to their potential. If they can't pull a full game together, they are going to get upset by someone they shouldn't lose to.

Maroon&White
September 17th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Your opinion, unfortunately, doesn't matter.

Neither does your opinion, smartass.

Maroon&White
September 17th, 2007, 07:53 AM
If they can't pull a full game together, they are going to get upset by someone they shouldn't lose to.

Could happen. Of course last year people said the same about UMass and the penalties. Look what they did last year.

andy7171
September 17th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Could happen. Of course last year people said the same about UMass and the penalties. Look what they did last year.
Very true. I hope you can make another run. You all definately have the talent to do it! xthumbsupx

mainejeff
September 17th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Maine will go 0-8 in the CAA with 5 OT losses and 7 games decided by 3 points or less........xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xsmhx

bluehenbillk
September 17th, 2007, 08:15 AM
If you could make a 20yd FG you beat 'Nova.

mainejeff
September 17th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Really?

NFLCB2
September 17th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Yes I was in attendance at that game cheering my old teammates on. I notice that maines kicker would not warm up. i would think that he knows its coming down to a field goal why not warm up? Instead right before he goes out he kicks his leg out to simulate the kick and runs out and shanks it off the post it was classic.xlolx

NFLCB2
September 17th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Also MaineJeff I second your thoughts Fire Cosgrove!!

89Hen
September 17th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Dude you saw the away side so get a clue will ya.
8,218 in a 17,000 seat stadium for the #3 team, coming off a NC appearance, opening conference play against a ranked team. xcoffeex

EmeryZach
September 17th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Cold And Rain, That's why. No one shows up in cold and rain, even if it was just at the start of the game. Unless it's a bright sunny day fans here won't show up. So that's actually a pretty good number for us with that weather.

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Cold And Rain, That's why. No one shows up in cold and rain, even if it was just at the start of the game. Unless it's a bright sunny day fans here won't show up. So that's actually a pretty good number for us with that weather.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

That is too funny.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 17th, 2007, 12:44 PM

The term "Fairweather Fan" actually originated in Amherst.

andy7171
September 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

That is too funny.

It's actually a sad depressing reality for Northeast FCS schools.

The term "Fairweather Fan" actually originated in Amherst.
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Great line!

bkrownd
September 17th, 2007, 01:52 PM
8,218 in a 17,000 seat stadium for the #3 team, coming off a NC appearance, opening conference play against a ranked team. xcoffeex

It's about average. Above average if it's raining. There can't be more than a few thousand people in sleepy little Amherst who are very interested in football.

TigerFan17
September 17th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Neither does your opinion, smartass.

Haha, way to take it out of context. Contextually speaking, you're right. Both my opinion and your opinion don't matter...we're a CAA school either way. I won't call you a smartass back because I'm not 11. ;)

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM
It's actually a sad depressing reality for Northeast FCS schools.

What, too many polo matches to attend? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

TigerFan17
September 17th, 2007, 09:03 PM
What, too many polo matches to attend? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Haha a Hofstra fan over on the CAAzone said that students were too busy buying hair gel. So between the polo and the hair gel, yes.

blur2005
September 17th, 2007, 09:11 PM
If the CAA isn't quite as good in the average-number-of-teams-in-top-25-from-conference department as the Gateway, I will say that top to bottom I think the CAA is stronger. Considering URI hung with Army, I'm going to hypothesize that the Rams could beat Missouri State or Indiana State.

TigerFan17
September 17th, 2007, 09:25 PM
If the CAA isn't quite as good in the average-number-of-teams-in-top-25-from-conference department as the Gateway, I will say that top to bottom I think the CAA is stronger. Considering URI hung with Army, I'm going to hypothesize that the Rams could beat Missouri State or Indiana State.

Playing their best game yeah I agree. But I assume its easier for for URI to get up and play with heart and excitement against an FBS school than Indiana State....no offense. Hard to tell.

umassfan
September 18th, 2007, 02:18 AM

We played Towson I repeat we played Towson. UMass has 0 history with towson. Add that up with the weather... and they wont come. Its the first time UMass has played them in Amherst and again its not like they beat us every year or anything xlolx

Cobblestone
September 18th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Maine will go 0-8 in the CAA with 5 OT losses and 7 games decided by 3 points or less........xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xsmhx

No you won't. You play us on November 10th.

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 08:44 AM
We played Towson I repeat we played Towson. UMass has 0 history with towson. Add that up with the weather... and they wont come. Its the first time UMass has played them in Amherst and again its not like they beat us every year or anything xlolx
xcoffeex UD will be sold out for Monmouth I repeat Monmouth... JMU will be sold out for Coastal I repeat Coastal... xrolleyesx

andy7171
September 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM
xcoffeex UD will be sold out for Monmouth I repeat Monmouth... JMU will be sold out for Coastal I repeat Coastal... xrolleyesx

You had me at West Chester.

BlueHen86
September 18th, 2007, 09:08 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx I repeat xlolx xlolx xlolx

Khan4Cats
September 18th, 2007, 09:15 AM

I'm not so sure about Missouri State. Would depend on where the game is played, Terry Allen is getting that program turned and they are very young right now.

As for Indiana State, well, let's just say if the NCAA votes to go to a 12 game schedule and eliminate the bye week, it will be nice to still have them in the Conference.

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 09:25 AM
You had me at West Chester.
I figured he'd claim they were a local rival. xsmiley_wix

th0m
September 18th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Hahah, yeah just like JMU and VMI :D

umassfan
September 18th, 2007, 10:18 AM

Didnt JMU get beat by Coastal a couple years ago? You see we have no problem drawing for Colgate. Delaware just sells out for everyone so whats the point?

umassfan
September 18th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I figured he'd claim they were a local rival. xsmiley_wix

We had what 12,000 for the Holy Cross game before students even arrived on campus.

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Didnt JMU get beat by Coastal a couple years ago? You see we have no problem drawing for Colgate.
That's some of the worst logic I've ever read. xconfusedx

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 10:30 AM
We had what 12,000 for the Holy Cross game before students even arrived on campus.
So the poster earlier saying the students didn't come last week is full of isht because it obviously has nothing to do with them.

DrG
September 18th, 2007, 11:14 AM
So the poster earlier saying the students didn't come last week is full of isht because it obviously has nothing to do with them.

I'm not going to defend last week's disappointing attendance other than to say that 10 years ago, we would have been fortunate to draw 3,000 for this game. And attendance at UMass is generated by both weather and how many students show up. As for the latter, and not to make excuses, students are much less likely to turn out for a noon kickoff. Half of them are probably still asleep at noon.

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I'm not going to defend last week's disappointing attendance other than to say that 10 years ago, we would have been fortunate to draw 3,000 for this game. And attendance at UMass is generated by both weather and how many students show up. As for the latter, and not to make excuses, students are much less likely to turn out for a noon kickoff. Half of them are probably still asleep at noon.
Then why schedule noon kickoffs? xconfusedx

DrG
September 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Then why schedule noon kickoffs? xconfusedx

CN8 called the shots on that. We prefer 1 p.m. kickoffs until the time change.

Old Cage
September 18th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Jeez, I make a short comment that was a bit over the top and get sixty responses. Nice.

Summation:
1. The population of Western Mass thinks football sucks.
2. Most UMass students think football sucks.
3. Most UMass alums think football sucks.
4. Noon games dictated by tv suck.
5. UMass' pass defense sucks.
6. Rain sucks.
7. Towson is a CAA member that does not suck.

What did I miss?

TigerFan17
September 18th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Jeez, I make a short comment that was a bit over the top and get sixty responses. Nice.

Summation:
1. The population of Western Mass thinks football sucks.
2. Most UMass students think football sucks.
3. Most UMass alums think football sucks.
4. Noon games dictated by tv suck.
5. UMass' pass defense sucks.
6. Rain sucks.
7. Towson is a CAA member that does not suck.

What did I miss?

Thats a lot of things that suck. And we still suck. But we don't suck so bad that we should draw thousands less than Colgate...which is what some were alluding to.

Umass74
September 18th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Thats a lot of things that suck. And we still suck. But we don't suck so bad that we should draw thousands less than Colgate...which is what some were alluding to.

Towson does not suck. They have done a great job in the A10/CAA in a short time. I think they will continue to improve and be a force in the CAA South.

As for attendance, the 12,000 we drew on a holiday weekend was a net gain of about 3,000 from last year in the same circumstances. And 8,000 on day when it was pouring rain at the coin toss was outstanding. That's the biggest rain crowd I've seen in years. We had the best of both worlds because the skies parted and it ended up being a beautiful day. :)

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM
The sad truth football fans in New England are pro football fans.
They're sure all football begins and ends with the Patriots.

They can't, or don't want, to get into the game day atmosphere that makes college football great!

I've told people that when my kids are out of school how I'd like to travel to different games thru out the land to take it all in.

I've been told how great the tail gate is in Foxboro.
They just don't understand.

Col Hogan
September 18th, 2007, 07:15 PM
They're sure all football begins and ends with the Patriots.

They can't, or don't want, to get into the game day atmosphere that makes college football great!

I've told people that when my kids are out of school how I'd like to travel to different games thru out the land to take it all in.

I've been told how great the tail gate is in Foxboro.
They just don't understand.

I wish I said it that clearly...xbowx xbowx

SAD BUT TRUE!!!!!

EmeryZach
September 18th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Just wait for the UMass/UNH game. Then the students and fans will show up. That is, if it isn't raining, snowing, below 45 degrees, cloudy, etc....... If it's nice and sunny, 50+ degrees then we'll have about 16,000. 3000 of which will be UNH fans.

I'm a senior and trust me, right now the students only really care about getting ***** faced on friday nights and not waking up till 2pm. There are diehard student football fans though that show up for every game. It might only be about 500 kids, but that's pretty good for UMass.

GeeWiz
September 18th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Just wait for the UMass/UNH game. Then the students and fans will show up. That is, if it isn't raining, snowing, below 45 degrees, cloudy, etc....... If it's nice and sunny, 50+ degrees then we'll have about 16,000. 3000 of which will be UNH fans.

I'm a senior and trust me, right now the students only really care about getting ***** faced on friday nights and not waking up till 2pm. There are diehard student football fans though that show up for every game. It might only be about 500 kids, but that's pretty good for UMass.

It's also about familiarity with the opponent when it comes to attendence for football games in New England.

NU, UMass will draw for UNH, Maine, URI, Holy Cross etc. However, Towson, W&M, Richmond come to town and fans don't show.

If the fans don't have some type of connection to the opponent - they use that as a excuse unfortunately. Doesn't matter if the team is ranked, in the CAA or have a stud RB or QB.

It's more of the same for hoops in New England too. xnonono2x

umassfan
September 18th, 2007, 09:45 PM
It's also about familiarity with the opponent when it comes to attendence for football games in New England.

NU, UMass will draw for UNH, Maine, URI, Holy Cross etc. However, Towson, W&M, Richmond come to town and fans don't show.

If the fans don't have some type of connection to the opponent - they use that as a excuse unfortunately. Doesn't matter if the team is ranked, in the CAA or have a stud RB or QB.

Finally someone understands what I said xthumbsupx

JMU Duke Dog
September 18th, 2007, 09:46 PM
JMU will be sold out for Coastal I repeat Coastal... xrolleyesx

Bring on the beach chickens! There are a lot of JMU Dukes out there that have been waiting for this return game the second the first game of this series ended! xflamemadx

NU Hound29
September 19th, 2007, 12:28 AM

I think Wiz is dead on, no one thinks JMU is any good since they don't see them on ESPN, and when a school like UMass comes in its fun since they know kids that go to UMass.

Take for example basketball last year, NU was hosting George Mason, and I was like, yes, the George Mason that made the Final Four. Yes, they are in our conference. Yes, we have a shot at beating them (which we did by the way, still no one showed)

I think its funny to hear people say how many fans the Pats have (13th best attendance, when I pull that stat some people are floored and don't pull and stadium size arguments because most of the teams above them are full too, its the NFL), even BC has a small stadium (only two in ACC smaller than it and they brag about selling out, come on lets see them sell out 60,000 before bragging as an ACC team)

College football in New England is a joke, hell there is one state school without a team (Vermont only other being Alaska) and another prominent university without a team (boston university)

High school football is not very good either, obviously there are success stories but a nice percentage of NU's and BC's rosters are from out of the area, they have to be to compete.

ChickenMan
September 19th, 2007, 08:03 AM

the sad truth is people in New England are baseball fans...

89Hen
September 19th, 2007, 08:03 AM
But the part I don't get is that your hockey team isn't playing, your basketball teams aren't playing, it's still early enough in the semester that you aren't really focused on studying.... seems like NOW is the time to be drawing students. xpeacex

lizrdgizrd
September 19th, 2007, 08:45 AM
But the part I don't get is that your hockey team isn't playing, your basketball teams aren't playing, it's still early enough in the semester that you aren't really focused on studying.... seems like NOW is the time to be drawing students. xpeacex
Now you see why citdog wants to secede again! How can you live in a country where people don't like college football?!?! We'll take Delaware with us this time since you guys know football. xthumbsupx

State's Rights + College Football's Rights = new confederacy!

BDKJMU
September 19th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I think Wiz is dead on, no one thinks JMU is any good since they don't see them on ESPN, and when a school like UMass comes in its fun since they know kids that go to UMass.

Take for example basketball last year, NU was hosting George Mason, and I was like, yes, the George Mason that made the Final Four. Yes, they are in our conference. Yes, we have a shot at beating them (which we did by the way, still no one showed)

I think its funny to hear people say how many fans the Pats have (13th best attendance, when I pull that stat some people are floored and don't pull and stadium size arguments because most of the teams above them are full too, its the NFL), even BC has a small stadium (only two in ACC smaller than it and they brag about selling out, come on lets see them sell out 60,000 before bragging as an ACC team)

College football in New England is a joke, hell there is one state school without a team (Vermont only other being Alaska) and another prominent university without a team (boston university)

High school football is not very good either, obviously there are success stories but a nice percentage of NU's and BC's rosters are from out of the area, they have to be to compete.

Yep, Hound, I talked to people who went to the Eagles-Pats Super Bowl down in Jacksonville 3 seasons ago, and from what people told me (and what I remember reading & hearing reported, Eagles fans outnumbered Pats fans 10-20 even 30 to 1, at least outside the stadium (thousands, maybe several tens of thousands Eagles fans went down there without tickets just for the atmosphere, tailgates & parties.

"Even in defeat, the Philly fans remained the enduring story of the week. They started descending on the city of Jacksonville in the middle of the week, tens of thousands of them, few of them with tickets, all of them with green Philly jerseys and goofy mustaches. They kept multiplying and multiplying ... by Saturday, every other person in Jacksonville had a mustache. They weren't just enjoying themselves; they were living a dream. At the Maxim party on Saturday night, there were random Philly fans stumbling around in full Eagles gear, like they couldn't imagine heading out in public in anything else. Driving for coffee on Sunday, I passed at least 10 Eagles fans holding cardboard signs and begging for tickets, offering as much as five grand for a pair.

Meanwhile, the Patriots fans were nowhere to be seen; after two Super Bowls and the negative Jacksonville stories, most of them apparently decided, "Ah, screw it, I'm watching this one at home." We were decidedly outnumbered for the game -- both outside the stadium and inside the stadium -- by something like an 8-to-1 margin."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/superblog/8

I also remember visiting my brother up in CT about 5 years ago. At the time he was a high school coach at a school up in CT. I remember him showing me around their campus and being by the football stadium, which looked like a practice field or for the junior high, with just a bunch of 4 level bleachers on either side. I asked him where the stadium was and he said "your looking at it" and told him "your *****t*n me!" (I had just moved from TX where the 4 biggest high school sports are pre season football, regular season football, post season football, and spring football)

And then there was seeing UNH's stadium last year at the JMU @ UNH game, and that was by far the worst (and smallest, capacity I think was listed 6,500) I-AA stadium I've ever been to, and I've been to a dozen. It looked like the local TX 3A powerhouse high school stadium where I lived.

Fan support for football in New England is a joke, be it at the high school, college, or pro level.

BDKJMU
September 19th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Now you see why citdog wants to secede again! How can you live in a country where people don't like college football?!?! We'll take Delaware with us this time since you guys know football. xthumbsupx

Maybe its a red state-blue state thing. I bet if you took the most rabid doz or so states (TX, south (esp deep south), Ohio) in terms of HS and college football fan support, they'd be comprised of among the 31 red states, and if you took the least 10 or so states, I bet they'd all be among the 19 blue states. PA is a blue (barely) state that has some rabid football fan support, but thats mainly concentrated in the western part of the state for HS, and of course Penn State for college.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 19th, 2007, 09:04 AM
the sad truth is people in New England are baseball fans...

Baseball season is a way to kill time between spring Salmon fishing and football season. For me anyway:D

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 19th, 2007, 09:10 AM
And then there was seeing UNH's stadium last year at the JMU @ UNH game, and that was by far the worst (and smallest, capacity I think was listed 6,500) I-AA stadium I've ever been to, and I've been to a dozen. It looked like the local TX 3A powerhouse high school stadium where I lived.

I'm not going to argue with you about our stadium, but I'd at least like a little recognition from you that the attendance the day you visited was 13,000 despite the crappy facilities!

And for the record, I'm pretty sure there were more than 3K UNH fans at the playoff game last year in Amherst against UMass. The UNH impact on the sellout was acknowledged when announced by the PA and he thanked both UMass and UNH.

We'll never match the South, but with decent facilities I think UNH could challenge for third place in attendance in the CAA. Delaware and JMU will be first and second. For two decades or so, we used to challenge UMass for attendance in the Yankee Conference.

How about a little credit for great strides and great effort for building a football following.

blukeys
September 19th, 2007, 09:13 AM

I guess this time we would go with you guys. I can't imagine living in a country without football.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 19th, 2007, 09:34 AM
We'll never match the South, but with decent facilities I think UNH could challenge for third place in attendance in the CAA. Delaware and JMU will be first and second. For two decades or so, we used to challenge UMass for attendance in the Yankee Conference.
W&M draws pretty well now too. 2006 CAA attendance (some haven't played home games yet this year)...

Delaware - 21,825
JMU - 15,133
UMass - 11,663
W&M - 10,645
Villanova - 8,364
UNH - 8,141
Richmond - 7,263
Maine - 5,208
Hofstra - 5,101
Towson - 4,592
Northeastern - 3,256
URI - 3,171

The real surprise to me is Towson. Newly renovated stadium, large student population, competitive team... they should be much higher.

YoUDeeMan
September 19th, 2007, 09:39 AM
nova has 8,000+ fans? Who knew?

bluehenbillk
September 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Did anyone see N'Eastern's announced attendance from Saturday? 1,210, that's gotta be a record-low for the league wouldn't you think?

th0m
September 19th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah UNH is on the rise for sure. It all depends whether the fans will still be there when Santos is gone and the teams fielded won't be so great anymore. But this question goes for us also, we've pretty much drawn to capacity since 2004, but we haven't really had a 'bad' team during that stretch.

89Hen
September 19th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Maybe they counted the Penn game at Frankin Field as a home game. :p

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 19th, 2007, 09:56 AM
W&M draws pretty well now too. 2006 CAA attendance (some haven't played home games yet this year)...

Delaware - 21,825
JMU - 15,133
UMass - 11,663
W&M - 10,645
Villanova - 8,364
UNH - 8,141
Richmond - 7,263
Maine - 5,208
Hofstra - 5,101
Towson - 4,592
Northeastern - 3,256
URI - 3,171

The real surprise to me is Towson. Newly renovated stadium, large student population, competitive team... they should be much higher.

With a new stadium we would easily draw in the 10-11k average range.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 19th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Agreed. In the Baltimore area you would figure they could at least get 10K out to their football games as well as they have played over the last couple years.

Kymermosst
September 19th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Did anyone see N'Eastern's announced attendance from Saturday? 1,210, that's gotta be a record-low for the league wouldn't you think?

Actually, that's more than double the attendance at last years UMass/NU game. That was the day the entire Northeast got poured on. Reported attendance for that game was a paltry 550. (No, that's not a typo)

http://www.gonu.com/football/2006/game08.htm

I'd imagine that would get the record for lowest attendance in all of I-AA/FCS.

aceinthehole
September 19th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Well, nationally it was the lowest attended game of the week. Even the Iona/Sacred Heart game in New Rochelle outdrew NU.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/attendance/WKLYATTENDANCEIAA.HTML

WrenFGun
September 19th, 2007, 11:59 AM
From a UNH perspective, I think the Football Team has really arrived. Just to see the amount of people tail-gating over the last few years: it has almost doubled, if not much more than that. I don't expect a precipitous decline once Santos leaves, either. Our recruits have gotten so much better that, in general, we're playing freshman and sophomores over juniors and seniors. Some of that is because of transfers or leaving the team, but I think a lot of that is just better players.

Anovafan
September 19th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Hey now, we had over 11,000 last week against Maine. Granted you could still hear a pin drop in the place xsplatx but that is not bad for a 6pm game on the Main Line.

With Penn this week and some good weather, I would expect another near sell out.

ChickenMan
September 19th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Hey now, we had over 11,000 last week against Maine. Granted you could still hear a pin drop in the place xsplatx but that is not bad for a 6pm game on the Main Line.

With Penn this week and some good weather, I would expect another near sell out.

I was listening to some of the Maine broadcast and their radio guys commented about the announced attendence (11,000+). They where laughing and wondering where all those supposed 11,000 people were.. saying in reality that there were about 5,000 or 6,000 in the stadium. Apparnently half the Nova fans were disguised as empty seats... :p

Anovafan
September 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I was listening to some of the Maine broadcast and their radio guys commented about the announced attendence (11,000+). They where laughing and wondering where all those supposed 11,000 people were.. saying in reality that there were about 5,000 or 6,000 in the stadium. Apparnently half the Nova fans were disguised as empty seats... :p

Well, I was there, and there were over 11,000 shortly after kickoff when everyone filed in. Being Parent's weekend, much of the crowd took off at half time and I would say the announcers were correct at 5-6,000 when the crowd attendance was announced in the 4th quarter. This is Nova of course, I'm not claiming all 11,000 stayed the entire game.

charliej
September 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Well, I was there, and there were over 11,000 shortly after kickoff when everyone filed in. Being Parent's weekend, much of the crowd took off at half time and I would say the announcers were correct at 5-6,000 when the crowd attendance was announced in the 4th quarter. This is Nova of course, I'm not claiming all 11,000 stayed the entire game.

I was there also, (if you could hear a pin drop,you weren't sittin by me:D ). Unfoutunately yes, alot did leave by halftime. xnonono2x Penn game should have a good turn out.

YoUDeeMan
September 19th, 2007, 08:43 PM

GF, did you notice that even some of the nova fans don't capitalize their name? :D

YoUDeeMan
September 19th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I was there also, (if you could hear a pin drop,you weren't sittin by me:D ). Unfoutunately yes, alot did leave by halftime. xnonono2x Penn game should have a good turn out.

charliej and Anovafan, PLEASE stick around until November. It is hard to get a smack thread going with no nova fans on this board. xnodx

Anovafan
September 20th, 2007, 10:26 AM
charliej and Anovafan, PLEASE stick around until November. It is hard to get a smack thread going with no nova fans on this board. xnodx

I've been here since 2003, the first Nova fan on this board. I even remember before AGS, the string type message board we had with no registration. I chose the name Anovafan, because for a long, long time, I was the only Nova fan on here. Admittedly, I have been away from the boards for a while because we stunk so badly the past few years I was embarrassed to even talk about our team. Hopefully Nova has turned the corner and can put together a decent season this year. I like what I see from the young defense and from the new QB, Antwon Young. He is exciting, reminds me a lot of Vince Young.

GannonFan
September 20th, 2007, 10:35 AM
GF, did you notice that even some of the nova fans don't capitalize their name? :D

I'm having an effect, excellent.

http://www.danklyn.com/webstandards_talk/pix/MrBurns.gif
Soon everyone will not capitalize nova's name and my plan will be complete!

89Hen
September 20th, 2007, 10:36 AM
the new QB, Antwon Young. He is exciting, reminds me a lot of Vince Young.
Well they do have the same last name. xeyebrowx :p

89Hen
September 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Hey now, we had over 11,000 last week against Maine...

And don't forget the 7,000+ Hen fans that will be up in November... you could have your highest season attendance ever! xthumbsupx

ChickenMan
September 20th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I like what I see from the young defense and from the new QB, Antwon Young. He is exciting, reminds me a lot of Vince Young.

I saw a replay of the Nova/Lehigh game and Antwon Young played very well. He looks like he could develope into an outstanding QB.

HensRock
September 20th, 2007, 12:15 PM

They travelled to Delaware in 2006.
I'll bet travelling to UD vs. UD travelling to you makes a significant difference in these figures.

Anovafan
September 20th, 2007, 04:45 PM
And don't forget the 7,000+ Hen fans that will be up in November... you could have your highest season attendance ever! xthumbsupx

We will take it, the program needs the money. Now if we can only get the administration to charge for parking on parent's weekend, the program may break even. I couldn't believe they gave free parking to the parents just to think they were getting a good deal. You think Penn State gives free parking to 108,000 people on Parent's weekend? Right...

89Hen
September 20th, 2007, 05:37 PM
We will take it, the program needs the money. Now if we can only get the administration to charge for parking on parent's weekend, the program may break even. I couldn't believe they gave free parking to the parents just to think they were getting a good deal. You think Penn State gives free parking to 108,000 people on Parent's weekend? Right...

xeyebrowx I'd charge DOUBLE on parent's weekend. xnodx xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 20th, 2007, 05:38 PM
They travelled to Delaware in 2006.
I'll bet travelling to UD vs. UD travelling to you makes a significant difference in these figures.
We did set their record for attendance in 2005... we could break that this year.