PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh/Monmouth preview up

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2005, 12:08 AM
To those who don't know, I break down Lehigh's opponents every week on my blog. Check it out this week's (Monmouth/Lehigh) if you're interested.

Lehigh Football Nation (http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com)

colgate13
September 1st, 2005, 07:30 AM
I'm expecting Lehigh to blowout Monmouth. I don't care if they've beaten G'Town twice or what. They might have a few good players, but the overall quality of Lehigh should prevail and provide for a chance to get some reps in for second teamers. If this game is close, I don't like it one bit.

LUHawker
September 1st, 2005, 10:59 AM
I'm expecting Lehigh to blowout Monmouth. I don't care if they've beaten G'Town twice or what. They might have a few good players, but the overall quality of Lehigh should prevail and provide for a chance to get some reps in for second teamers. If this game is close, I don't like it one bit.

I have to agree with you 13. LFN is being a bit cautious, but if LU is the team we all think it is this year, then we should see a wide scoring margin. I don't expect Borda to be so flat this year as he was against Stony Brook a year ago. Monmouth is a good and improving program but Lehigh should be a class better and if its a poor showing this week, then I like LU's chances against UD far less on Sept. 10. That being said, I'd like to see a solid game with a good game plan mixed in with trying out some new things.

MU Alum
September 1st, 2005, 01:11 PM
I think that your blog underestimated a couple of things here. Miles Austin is one of the best recievers in I-AA period...Not mid-major...all of I-AA. Ask any pro scout, they will tell you. People on this board had reported him as a possible 5th round draft pick and that is no lie. He is big strong and athletic and will be the best player on the field, honestly. The other recievers are also 6'4, 6'4, and one speedster, so hopefully Lehigh will not be able to just key on Austin. Next, a score of 45-10 would surprise the hell out of me. This team beat Georgetown quite handly last year, and has only improved. Lehigh didnt beat either NEC team last year by a margin this wide and the two teams they beat were a combined 6-16 last year. Monmouth was 10-1. This game will be closer than people expect around here.

I just see how the Patriot posters have said how the Fordham game is a posible problem for Lehigh because of where it falls in the schedule and how improved Fordham is, but in my opinion, Monmouth is as good, if not better than Fordham. I look at the scores of the Albany (14-0 L) and Duquesne (41-34 L) Fordham games from last year and I dont see a big difference really. Do you guys all see a score of 45-10 for the Fordham-Lehigh game? Honestly.

Maybe Im just overplaying my team, but I feel like this will be a closer game and hope it will be. I know how Good Lehigh is and respect the patriot league but I just dont see as big of a gap as some of you do.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2005, 01:21 PM
I think that your blog underestimated a couple of things here. Miles Austin is one of the best recievers in I-AA period...Not mid-major...all of I-AA...This game will be closer than people expect around here.

I firmly beleive if Lehigh doesn't take the game seriously, they will lose. But I doubt they will be overconfident. I think Monmouth early will make a game of it, but it's the second half where I think Lehigh really has the chance to pull away.

Where Monmouth can't match up with Lehigh IMO is depth. Monmouth's starters, especially on offense, can match up with anyone in the PL, but as the game wears on I think we'll see the difference. That's why I think it will be a game in the first half.

GannonFan
September 1st, 2005, 01:37 PM
Come on, this is the same Monmouth team that lost to Stoney Brook last year, at home, and won on the last play of the game to beat both Albany and Central Connecticut St. - Actually, Monmouth and CCSU finished tied for the conference last year with Monmouth getting the head to head win and therefore the crown - that's the same CCSU team that lost by 32 points to A10 cellar dweller Rhode Island, being outgained by almost 300 yards in the game.

I certainly think Monmouth is making some strides, along with the Albany's of the world, to be more competitive within the I-AA world (scholly programs) but I can't imagine they have done it over one year. This game should be a rout in Lehigh's favor - they're a premier IAA program with a solid returning core - Monmouth has some players, but they shouldn't be within 30 of Lehigh in this game. Maybe in a few years if they keep going in this direction, just not this year.

henfan
September 1st, 2005, 01:50 PM
I certainly think Monmouth is making some strides, along with the Albany's of the world, to be more competitive within the I-AA world (scholly programs) but I can't imagine they have done it over one year.

Why, GannonFan, whatever in the world are you talking about? Lehigh doesn't offer athletic scholarships. Therefore, this game is pretty much a 'pick-em'. ;)

LUHawker
September 1st, 2005, 01:57 PM
Why, GannonFan, whatever in the world are you talking about? Lehigh doesn't offer athletic scholarships. Therefore, this game is pretty much a 'pick-em'. ;)

Stop trying to stir up a very old argument. Let's move on to something more interesting like, will KC Keeler be wearing sunglasses for the night game on Sept. 10? :D

colgate13
September 1st, 2005, 02:39 PM
Monmouth can have all the receivers in the world... But who is throwing it to them? Who is giving blocking time to the QB? Who is stopping Lehigh from scoring???!?!?!? Lehigh will take this game seriously and take Monmouth to town.

It's not that I don't think the NEC is making strides, but Lehigh is supposed to be a legit top 15 team. A team of that magnitude should be able to shut down a team like Monmouth. If they can't, then it is a lot of hot air out of Bethlehem and I wouldn't get my hopes up for Delaware. I don't think it is, but if they lose (or heck, if Colgate loses) I would lose a lot of respect for either program.

henfan
September 1st, 2005, 02:39 PM
Let's move on to something more interesting like, will KC Keeler be wearing sunglasses for the night game on Sept. 10?

Does the I-A transfer shxt in the woods? :eek:

In all seriousness, this LU team is likely to be one of the five or ten best in I-AA this season. I don't care how good or lucky Monmouth is. Depth is something that will begin to show by late in the 3rd, if the Hawks haven't already put the game away before then.

I mean no disrespect to Monmouth but I'd be very surprised if LU's scholars don't put them away by at least 3 scores. But, hey, that's why they strap 'em up...

Good luck to both teams.

MU Alum
September 2nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Monmouth can have all the receivers in the world... But who is throwing it to them? Who is giving blocking time to the QB? Who is stopping Lehigh from scoring???!?!?!? Lehigh will take this game seriously and take Monmouth to town.
Their QB is a Rutgers transfer from 2003 who has started the last two seasons and is a preseason Mid Major All american selection, the O-line has 4 returning starters from last year, with the center being a transfer from UMAINE and on all the preseason teams as well. I know Lehigh has more depth and that will be an advantage for them, and I know how good they are, but I expect a good game. Second, we lost one game in 2004 to SBU because we just played poor and they played well, I dont think that should define a season inwhich we still won 10 games. Good luck to all teams on Saturday.

ChickenMan
September 2nd, 2005, 12:55 PM
Go Monmouth... but don't hurt any of the LU boys... we don't want the Mountain Squawks complaining about injuries next week... :D

"Ho" Dweller
September 2nd, 2005, 01:30 PM
I find it hard to believe that Lehigh is going to look past Monmouth, especially after the Stony Brook opener last year. I think Lehigh will be ready to play on Saturday. That said, I have to agree with LFN, Monmouth is a very solid mid major and they will keep it respectable for about 30 minutes, but I think Lehigh is going to pull away early in the second half. Monmouth appears to have a solid team and should have another great season, but if Lehigh doesn't win by more than 3 TD's they have some work to do before they head down to UD next weekend.

ngineer
September 2nd, 2005, 07:39 PM
I agree that Lehigh's sluggish performance in last year's opener with Stony Brook will be an incentive to come out and 'show more' this year. Monmouth has same quality athletes and I would expect them to move the ball some, but Lehigh's overall balance will control the game. I would expect the 2 and 3 deeps get some work in the second half, and that could tighten the score. But I would expect something on the order of 34-14. Keep in mind, Lehigh played a very mediocre game last year against Stony Brook and still won 25-2.