PDA

View Full Version : Family of former Lehigh HC Andy Coen needs help

Libertine
January 26th, 2022, 04:09 PM
**Ursus, if this violates board TOS, I apologize but I figure this is worth chancing it**

Many of you may remember four years ago when Andy Coen resigned as HC at Lehigh due to a medical condition. That medical condition was, in fact, early-onset Alzheimer's disease and his condition has dramatically progressed for the worse. At just age 57, Coen's family has recently been forced to place him in memory care facility so that he can receive proper care. Unfortunately, the family is paying for this out of pocket as insurance will not cover the cost. Former players and colleagues have started a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for the family and I thought it might be worth dropping the link to that here:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/6ziag6g

Feel free to donate or just spread the word.

BEAR
January 26th, 2022, 05:52 PM
That is a horrible disease and he's so young. Ugh. Looks like they've already raised $122,000 so they are halfway to their goal. But the cost is so much more than the expense. Prayers for him and his family. Hope we can find a cure for that soon. That and cancer.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 27th, 2022, 08:26 AM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Libertine again."

Libertine, thank you for promoting this great cause. On Twitter and elsewhere I've tried to help push Andy's GoFundMe to help his family pay for his memory care - it's not run by me, but by two very close friends of his, one of which is his former teammate at Gettysburg (PA) College. The effort has happily attracted some very high-profile donors and as of this moment has raised more than $125,000 for his cause. This will help the family pay for a little over a year of memory care, which typically (I learned) isn't covered by most health insurance. For those who don't know, Andy retired after the 2018 season after being diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's. Apparently his progression has been rapid, which is not unusual in cases of early-onset Alzheimer's. (Former Tennessee women's head basketball coach Pat Summit suffered the same thing.)

In addition to the GoFundMe an in-person fundraiser is happening at Lehigh on February 18th. That also has a website and a contact where you can contribute or possibly donate silent auction items.

https://birdease.com/Friends4Andy

God Bless anyone who has contributed and anything at all will help the family.

ngineer
January 29th, 2022, 10:15 PM
Wake Forest coaches Clawson and Higgins will be speaking at the reception. Andy was a truly a class act during his tenure at Lehigh, and well respected throughout the coaching profession. I am hopeful that there will be a great turnout on 2/18 as well as response.