PDA

View Full Version : CAA presser

The Cats
January 25th, 2022, 08:14 AM
Anyone have a link to the CAA press conference this morning?

It's at 10:30 I think....

NY Crusader 2010
January 25th, 2022, 09:13 AM
Nothing on the CAA website. However, the home page officially welcomes SBU, Monmouth and Hampton the conference.

UNHWildcat18
January 25th, 2022, 09:17 AM
Can’t say I’m happy about the football additions, but it’s all official now. Glad the rumor mill ends at least

Laker
January 25th, 2022, 09:21 AM
Anyone have a link to the CAA press conference this morning?

It's at 10:30 I think....

CAA Welcomes Hampton University, Monmouth University And Stony Brook University As New Members - Colonial Athletic Association (CAA Sports) (https://caasports.com/news/2022/1/24/football-caa-welcomes-hampton-university-monmouth-university-and-stony-brook-university-as-new-members.aspx)

Lehigh Football Nation
January 25th, 2022, 09:25 AM
One more and split into divisions? 13 members is way too many without divisions. Unless more teams are leaving the CAA.

dgtw
January 25th, 2022, 10:36 AM
One more and split into divisions? 13 members is way too many without divisions. Unless more teams are leaving the CAA.

Make football an official league sport and tell the affiliates to go kick rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNHWildcat18
January 25th, 2022, 11:17 AM
Make football an official league sport and tell the affiliates to go kick rocks.

So Richmond Villanova UNH URI Maine who are all charter members of CAA FB and can’t get kicked…. And Albany who isn’t a charter but still……. Good luck with that bro

kdinva
January 25th, 2022, 11:25 AM
since this is after Dec. 31st, will 2023 be the first season for hampton and Monmouth to play a CAA slate?

Tribe4SF
January 25th, 2022, 12:24 PM
since this is after Dec. 31st, will 2023 be the first season for hampton and Monmouth to play a CAA slate?

I'm guessing they will both be in the league this Fall. CAA has not announced the 2022 schedule and I suspect that was to allow for the deal to be closed.

dgtw
January 25th, 2022, 02:43 PM
So Richmond Villanova UNH URI Maine who are all charter members of CAA FB and can’t get kicked…. And Albany who isn’t a charter but still……. Good luck with that bro

Could they just all resign from the CAAFB league?

UNHWildcat18
January 25th, 2022, 05:31 PM
Could they just all resign from the CAAFB league?

They would never do that…… take out Elon Hampton Monmouth SBU and Albany and you have 8 FCS schools who have been playing together since they Yankee conference… those 8 aren’t separating willingly unless it’s FBS for UD… Those other 5 now in the CAA won’t be leaving willingly either.

Catbooster
January 25th, 2022, 05:46 PM
Great. Another league like the Big Sky where the team that wins the conference championship is heavily influenced by which conference teams you don't have to play?

kdinva
January 25th, 2022, 05:50 PM
Great. Another league like the Big Sky where the team that wins the conference championship is heavily influenced by which conference teams you don't have to play?

See SoCon.......

ElCid
January 25th, 2022, 05:52 PM

And occasional teams in the playoffs who really shouldn't be there? And get in just because the scheduling gods smiled on them? They had that already, to a degree. Nine teams is the correct number. I get the Big Sky issue of limited availability for scheduling, but that is starting to fade as well. But for an east coast conf, there are not many reasons to be so big.

KPSUL
January 25th, 2022, 06:50 PM
And occasional teams in the playoffs who really shouldn't be there? And get in just because the scheduling gods smiled on them? They had that already, to a degree. Nine teams is the correct number. I get the Big Sky issue of limited availability for scheduling, but that is starting to fade as well. But for an east coast conf, there are not many reasons to be so big.

CAA loses its best team, gains two mediocre teams, now watch the conference go from 2 2021 playoff teams to 4 in 2022.

POD Knows
January 25th, 2022, 06:51 PM
And the MVFC, next year NDSU skips Missouri State and UNI.

Libertine
January 25th, 2022, 10:38 PM
CAA loses its best team, gains two mediocre teams, now watch the conference go from 2 2021 playoff teams to 4 in 2022.

This take is wildly optimistic. Monmouth might aspire to mediocrity in the CAA but Hampton will be everyone's homecoming date.

UNHWildcat18
January 26th, 2022, 05:09 AM
This take is wildly optimistic. Monmouth might aspire to mediocrity in the CAA but Hampton will be everyone's homecoming date.
xlolx

mainejeff
January 26th, 2022, 05:13 AM

If there are divisions and they put Monmouth in the South.....that will be an extremely weak division compared to a Delaware/Nova/UNH North. I think that they should ditch divisions with the following scheduling "formula".....2 vs. designated "rival" (Delaware/Nova, Maine/UNH, Albany/Stony Brook, Richmond/W&M, etc).....4 vs. regional (easy travel).......2 vs. far flung (1 flight per season per team). Just don't know how this works out with 13 teams.

Examples:

Delaware:

Nova
@W&M

@ Towson
Richmond
@Monmouth
Stony Brook

UNH
@Elon

Maine:

UNH
@URI

Albany
@Stony Brook
Monmouth
@Villanova

W&M
@Hampton

Sitting Bull
January 26th, 2022, 07:28 AM
I don’t see any need to split Divisions in CAA football. It can continue as usual with each member with 4-5 annual games and the others rotate.

The Division set-up is to help travel on the other sports, particularly basketball. That’s where you will see a Divisional set-up I think (though the A10 has never done that but does follow a geo scheduling model).

Sitting Bull
January 26th, 2022, 07:40 AM
For W&M football, I think they will stick with 5 permanent and 3 rotating. The perms: Elon, Richmond, Hampton, Towson, Delaware.

KPSUL
January 26th, 2022, 09:42 PM

I think we'll see 3 teams will records of 8-3 or better, and two more 7-4. Monmouth and Hampton will spread a whole lot of Ws and not so many Ls among the other conference members. The 3 most recent CAA members, Elon, Albany and Stoney Brook all took several years before posting winning conference records for the 1st time.

MR. CHICKEN
January 27th, 2022, 07:35 AM
I think we'll see 3 teams will records of 8-3 or better, and two more 7-4. Monmouth and Hampton will spread a whole lot of Ws and not so many Ls among the other conference members. The 3 most recent CAA members, Elon, Albany and Stoney Brook all took several years before posting winning conference records for the 1st time.

.......WHAT'S DUH DIFF....xdontknowx......BIG SKY.....HAS S.UTAH/IDAHO ST./CAL-POLY.....xsighx.....BRAWK!

FUBeAR
January 27th, 2022, 07:59 AM
I think we'll see 3 teams will records of 8-3 or better, and two more 7-4. Monmouth and Hampton will spread a whole lot of Ws and not so many Ls among the other conference members. The 3 most recent CAA members, Elon, Albany and Stoney Brook all took several years before posting winning conference records for the 1st time.Yep, +2W’s & -1L for several fortunate CAA Teams that will BigSky their improved records into post-season bids.

If we get 6 Playoff Teams each from the CAA, the Big Sky, and the MVFC, does that leave enough Playoff slots for the remaining AQ Conferences to get 1 Team in? If not, we need to pull back some of those AQ bids or expand the playoffs to still get the ‘Chosen 18’ in & also squeeze the others into the Tri-Conference Post-Season Invitational Tournament brought to you by Circular Logic.

WestCoastAggie
January 27th, 2022, 09:26 AM
I don't know but something tells me the CAA isn't done adding members.

ElCid
January 27th, 2022, 09:50 AM
I don't know but something tells me the CAA isn't done adding members.

Which makes me think that something else is in the wind. Are they stocking up in anticipation of multiple losses? Haven't heard anything reliable, but maybe they have.

WestCoastAggie
January 27th, 2022, 09:53 AM
Which makes me think that something else is in the wind. Are they stocking up in anticipation of multiple losses? Haven't heard anything reliable, but maybe they have.

I don't know but all eyes may be looking into Triad of North Carolina (just speculation on my part).

WestCoastAggie
January 27th, 2022, 10:04 AM
https://twitter.com/cturner291/status/1486727638731280385

walliver
January 27th, 2022, 10:24 AM
I don't know but all eyes may be looking into Triad of North Carolina (just speculation on my part).

If the ACC can have three teams in the Triangle, the CAA can take UNC-G and A&T and have three teams in the Triad.

FUBeAR
January 27th, 2022, 10:40 AM
If the ACC can have three teams in the Triangle, the CAA can take UNC-G and A&T and have three teams in the Triad.
UNCG’s Prez just bet $1M that the Spartans will remain in the SoCon.

WestCoastAggie
January 27th, 2022, 10:46 AM
UNCG’s Prez just bet $1M that the Spartans will remain in the SoCon.

That exit fee just doubled on them as well.

https://twitter.com/FCS_STATS/status/1486717252913090567

FUBeAR
January 27th, 2022, 10:49 AM
That exit fee just doubled on them as well.

https://twitter.com/FCS_STATS/status/1486717252913090567
Yes…that’s the $1M FUBeAR was referencing. Was already $1M…voted to take it to $2M…which is the $1M ‘bet’ mentioned.

caribbeanhen
January 27th, 2022, 11:04 AM

Zoom the map out a bit and ‘the Triangle’ could mean Bermuda and Puerto Rico are getting college football teams! I like it

Dane96
January 27th, 2022, 11:10 AM
That's a bold move. Seemingly takes VMI, Furman, Wofford, and UNCG off of the table. All were highly talked about "CAA targets".

My prediction has always been NC AT&T as the 14th football school and the 13th all sport school. Helps the southern flank of the CAA. Now you would need to add a non-football school. Theoretically, Albany could be the add since already have football. However, rumor mill has it that Towson wants to be out of the South...so the next school might also come from the South. So Winthrop would fit the bill.

That being said, if Howard approached the CAA, they'd be the team over NC AT&T...not even a question. Howard has been a main CAA target for years.

However, and I love this game of realignment while at the same time hating it, if the CAA goes to 16 teams as has been rumored, you could bring in a Howard, NC AT&T, Norfolk St, and Albany (since football is already in) and have a very clear 16 team North/South alignment All Sports

North:

NU
Albany
SBU
Hofstra
Monmouth
Drexel
Delaware
Towson

South:

Howard
Norfolk St
Hampton
W&M
NC AT&T
Elon
Charleston
UNCW

Football Only:

North: Maine, UNH, Albany, URI, Stony Brook, Monmouth, Villanova, Delaware
South: Towson, Howard, Richmond, W&M, Norfolk St, Hampton, Elon, NC AT&T

That means you'd have Richmond, Maine, UNH, and URI as affiliates, with 12 football teams as all sport members.

If, as many are predicating, the CAA is insuring itself against A) attrition in the southern flank; and / or B) the thought the NCAA goes to 96 team hoop tourney, then this model works.

Obviously there are many ideas out there...this is just another one. I also believe that the minute the PL wakes up and invites NU and W&M...at least NU would leave in a heartbeat. Wouldn't even shock me if W&M said they wanted to go, that Richmond would park football in the PL, if asked.

Sitting Bull
January 27th, 2022, 12:06 PM
I’m not convinced there are any further adds coming. The CAA took care of its needs: stability and travel. There’s no upside at this point to add unless it’s a real, premium option which I don’t see at the moment.

Dane96
January 27th, 2022, 12:07 PM
I’m not convinced there are any further adds coming. The CAA took care of its needs: stability and travel. There’s no upside at this point to add unless it’s a real, premium option which I don’t see at the moment.

The CAA is actively talking to schools. I will leave it at that, agreeing that talk doesn't mean action will occur.

But there is most certainly active talk.

WestCoastAggie
January 27th, 2022, 12:08 PM
The CAA is actively talking to schools. I will leave it at that.

Yep. I'm all but certain of one school y'all have communicated with.

And as an aside, AT&T phone service sucks on A&T's campus. LOL!

Dane96
January 27th, 2022, 12:11 PM
Yep. I'm all but certain of one school y'all have communicated with.

And as an aside, AT&T phone service sucks on A&T's campus. LOL!

Sadly, Albany wouldn't be in the talking group. We are just an affiliate for football. However, I have enough contacts in college sports to confirm. :)

The CAA is in need of southern schools; while W&M might be fine with the situation, ELON, UNCW, and Charleston are most certainly not....and in the degree of order of not being happy, that's the order for dealing with it to hating the look of the southern side. Additionally, Towson is NOT happy being in the South with increased travel costs.

So, I do think there will be at least two adds in the next year, possibly four.

Sitting Bull
January 27th, 2022, 12:19 PM
Sadly, Albany wouldn't be in the talking group. We are just an affiliate for football. However, I have enough contacts in college sports to confirm. :)

The CAA is in need of southern schools; while W&M might be fine with the situation, ELON, UNCW, and Charleston are most certainly not....and in the degree of order of not being happy, that's the order for dealing with it to hating the look of the southern side. Additionally, Towson is NOT happy being in the South with increased travel costs.

So, I do think there will be at least two adds in the next year, possibly four.

I’m not speaking for W&M - I just don’t believe it’s needed. The expansion has answered the travel issues. If Elon and Charleston wanted to be linked with only southern schools, they wouldn’t have joined the CAA in the first place.

I just don’t see any options left that would be a great benefit for the CAA at the moment. It’s obvious there are still more schools out there who would join if asked.

Libertine
January 27th, 2022, 12:20 PM
The 3 most recent CAA members, Elon, Albany and Stoney Brook all took several years before posting winning conference records for the 1st time.

All three of those schools were also somewhat successful in their prior conference (SoCon/Elon, NEC/Albany, Big South/Stony Brook). While the CAA was obviously a step up, those schools were at least already on the staircase.

Meanwhile, Hampton has been, at best, a marginally .500 program in the Big South and MEAC for nearly twenty years. They're not taking a step up, they're climbing a fireman's pole from the basement.

Sitting Bull
February 2nd, 2022, 08:41 AM
Who was the “reporter” at this presser wearing the fake glasses and mustache and kept asking why Maine wasn’t considered?

mainejeff
February 2nd, 2022, 12:50 PM
Who was the “reporter” at this presser wearing the fake glasses and mustache and kept asking why Maine wasn’t considered?

Was it that noticeable?