PDA

View Full Version : Nice write up on Drake's Phaydavong

Slammer50111
September 14th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Georgia Southern's Adrian Peterson. Wisconsin's Ron Dayne. Pittsburgh's Tony Dorsett.

The mere mention of the names carves an instant smile of admiration onto Scott Phaydavong's face.

"I don't know if I could compete up there with those guys, but those are some great college running backs," the Drake senior said this week.

Nevertheless, he is poised to join them.

Phaydavong is the leading active rusher at all levels of college football. He needs only 15 yards against Wisconsin-Platteville on Saturday to reach the 5,000-yard mark.

http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070914/SPORTS020402/709140387/1003&lead=1

DetroitFlyer
September 14th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Like many kids playing at the FCS level, you just cannot believe how good Scotty P. is unless you have seen him in person. Last year in Dayton, I sat in the stands and watched as a play developed. As described in the article, Scott came through a small crease in the lines and as soon as I saw him, I knew he was gone. He was like a rocket. He turned on the jets and the Flyers were unable to touch him. I forget the exact distance of the run, but it was significant and went for a TD. I'm not so sure that Scott could not play in the NFL. I feel certain that he could be a CFL star. He also might be a good candidate for the new football league starting up, (AAFL), or something like that.... Frankly, it is a crime that this talented kid is not on the Payton Watch.... As a Dayton fan, I am looking forward to Scott graduating and moving on....

DUPFLFan
September 14th, 2007, 08:32 AM
For those of us who have been honored to watch Scotty play and who know him personally, it is very nice to see him approach this honor. He is a great level-headed kid who works at the local supermarket to help afford his education. I hope this kid gets his shot.

Some additional info - courtesy of Drake's game notes. http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15700&KEY=&SPID=8123&SPSID=71156
Three decades ago, Kou Phaydavong, who is Scott's father, was serving as an officer in the Royal Lao Army. When the Communist

government took control in the mid-1970's, he was sent to a concentration camp. After escaping, the Phaydavongs headed for America
in 1978. Kou and his wife, Kham, didn't want their son Scott to play football until his junior season at East High School in Des Moines.

When Scott turned 18, he honored his parents by getting Chinese characters tattooed on his chest. Translated, the symbols stand for
"Determination."

cats2506
September 14th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Not taking anything away from Phaydavong but I think he is about 2000 yards short of Woodhead

"Phaydavong is the leading active rusher at all levels of college football. He needs only 15 yards against Wisconsin-Platteville on Saturday to reach the 5,000-yard mark."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_6802286

nmatsen
September 14th, 2007, 11:01 AM
He is without a doubt the best I-AA Non Scholarship running back of all time.

DetroitFlyer
September 14th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Take away the "non-scholarship" and you have it right! I see at least 100+ yards against UNI the weekend after next, maybe more!

Khan4Cats
September 14th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Take away the "non-scholarship" and you have it right! I see at least 100+ yards against UNI the weekend after next, maybe more!

It's possible, though two years ago he had 69 yards on 16 carries (I think he got hurt, though) and last year he had 94 yards on 25 carries against us.

DetroitFlyer
September 14th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I just have a feeling that with the new coaching staff, Scotty P is going to have a big game at home.... Especially if Cole Ingle can have a decent game at QB like he did versus ISU.

Model Citizen
September 14th, 2007, 02:50 PM

It's a close call between Scott P. and Arnold Mickens, the former Butler star. Mickens carried the ball a lot more per game, but played fewer seasons in I-AA, after transferring from Indiana.

There are several non-schollie Ivy runners you could put on your list, if you included the time before I-AA was created.

danefan
September 14th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Throw Gary Jones into the mix. He only played two seasons at Albany but his numbers were ridiculous breaking both the career rushing and scoring records.

Gary Jones (2002-03)
Carries: 442
Yards: 3,033
Avg: 6.9
TDs: 40

Who knows what he would have ended up with had he played four years.

The Tank
September 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM

I've seen them both and Arnold Mickens was a lot better, bigger, stronger, and just as fast. He ended up playing a few seasons for the Colts I believe.

DUBulldog
September 15th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I've seen them both and Arnold Mickens was a lot better, bigger, stronger, and just as fast. He ended up playing a few seasons for the Colts I believe.

I checked the NFL database for players....looks like Mickens played 1 season....3 games total, but not have any touches.

Phaydavong's lack of size is actually beneficial to him sometimes.....he's able to "hide" behind the offensive linemen.....sometimes, by the time the defenders first see him, he's already at full speed going through the hole.