View Full Version : NCAA Schools Vote on New Constitution at Annual Convention

McCowboys
January 21st, 2022, 09:37 AM
https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/20/ncaa-constitution-vote-new-division-autonomy-power-five-convention

Dane96
January 21st, 2022, 09:52 AM
How can SI reporting be THIS poor. How do they not know that Division II has athletic scholarships.

"For Division II and III, where there are no athletic scholarships, there will be little if any change, though most of the dissenting voices during the NCAA’s open forum that preceded the full membership vote came from those ranks."

Laker
January 21st, 2022, 10:00 AM
How can SI reporting be THIS poor. How do they not know that Division II has athletic scholarships.

"For Division II and III, where there are no athletic scholarships, there will be little if any change, though most of the dissenting voices during the NCAA’s open forum that preceded the full membership vote came from those ranks."

They don't care that they don't know. But they aren't the only ones. Remember when the NCAA sent the football national championship banner to Grand Forks because they didn't know the difference between UND and NDSU?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 21st, 2022, 10:16 AM
Remember when Emmert didn't know how the FCS Playoffs work? I do.

ElCid
January 21st, 2022, 10:58 AM
Saw this last night. The big takeaway I got was that each sport and division, I assume subdivision as well, will be able to tailor their rules instead of having some rules be one size fits all across all sports and divisions. There are differences now, but I expect them to widen. This may also lead to some not so good ones in regard to FCS. Maybe. All depends on how greedy the P5 get.

walliver
January 21st, 2022, 02:12 PM
The new constitution is not really a constitution, it is more like Articles of Confederation, with the NCAA acting primarily as branding.

D2 and D3 will be fine.
The SEC and a few select other P5's will be fine. Lesser P5's will struggle. The G5 will be allowed access to big time football, but at a price very few of them can afford.
I suspect that FCS as we know it will no longer exist. Without a strong NCAA, there is little that will keep the MVFC, WAC, A-Sun, and Big Sky in the same subdivision as the Patriot League, Pioneer League and Ivies. Other conferences may be split as to where to go. The somewhat inclusive playoffs may be replaced with individual "championships" outside of NCAA oversight.

The elephant in the room, however, is Title IX. Outside of Beach Volleyball, very few female athletes will get big NIL deals. Although the schools will all claim to have no power over player NIL deals, the activists and their lawyers will not go quietly.

WestCoastAggie
January 21st, 2022, 05:41 PM
The new constitution is not really a constitution, it is more like Articles of Confederation, with the NCAA acting primarily as branding.

D2 and D3 will be fine.
The SEC and a few select other P5's will be fine. Lesser P5's will struggle. The G5 will be allowed access to big time football, but at a price very few of them can afford.
I suspect that FCS as we know it will no longer exist. Without a strong NCAA, there is little that will keep the MVFC, WAC, A-Sun, and Big Sky in the same subdivision as the Patriot League, Pioneer League and Ivies. Other conferences may be split as to where to go. The somewhat inclusive playoffs may be replaced with individual "championships" outside of NCAA oversight.

The elephant in the room, however, is Title IX. Outside of Beach Volleyball, very few female athletes will get big NIL deals. Although the schools will all claim to have no power over player NIL deals, the activists and their lawyers will not go quietly.

I wonder how the new subdivision will dictate the price of those money games with FBS programs? I suspect teams who land on that new subdivision will be sadden to learn the price for those money games went down. And if that's the case, what's holding these schools to D1?

ElCid
January 21st, 2022, 06:20 PM
I wonder how the new subdivision will dictate the price of those money games with FBS programs? I suspect teams who land on that new subdivision will be sadden to learn the price for those money games went down. And if that's the case, what's holding these schools to D1?

Not sure I get your point. But I'm fairly sure the NCAA didn't/doesn't have anything to do with the paydays FCS got for playing an FBS. Pretty sure that is between schools only. Now certainly the FBS teams could be greedy and offer less. Or are you anticipating some new Div I G5/FCS hybrid subdivision with lesser paydays than G5 was used to?

I have to say that there may be a renewed push by P5 to eliminate all FCS games. There already has been in the not too distant past. But I'm not sure it has enough support among the majority of P5 schools to be enacted. This is a top tier of P5 issue, primarily, and even then it is not universally supported. Some state legislatures have at least informally interjected in some cases as to the need for big state schools to help out the smaller in state ones via the occasional game. This is especially true in the SE.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 21st, 2022, 10:25 PM
Not sure I get your point. But I'm fairly sure the NCAA didn't/doesn't have anything to do with the paydays FCS got for playing an FBS. Pretty sure that is between schools only. Now certainly the FBS teams could be greedy and offer less. Or are you anticipating some new Div I G5/FCS hybrid subdivision with lesser paydays than G5 was used to?

I have to say that there may be a renewed push by P5 to eliminate all FCS games. There already has been in the not too distant past. But I'm not sure it has enough support among the majority of P5 schools to be enacted. This is a top tier of P5 issue, primarily, and even then it is not universally supported. Some state legislatures have at least informally interjected in some cases as to the need for big state schools to help out the smaller in state ones via the occasional game. This is especially true in the SE.

Conferences could legislate for themselves that they won't play FCS games, Pac-12 games, only play each other. Though individual schools might want to pursue their own path on that matter, and that's what schools have generally done - some play FCS schools, other's don't.

Sandlapper Spike
January 22nd, 2022, 10:41 AM
One issue the P5 will have with not playing G5/FCS schools is the specter of schools paying a head coach $6 million (or more) per year to go 3-9 or 2-10 with an all-P5 schedule. However, I suspect the breakaway will come sooner rather than later, and that P5 matchups with FCS (and probably most G5) schools will be going away.

ElCid
January 22nd, 2022, 11:14 AM
One issue the P5 will have with not playing G5/FCS schools is the specter of schools paying a head coach $6 million (or more) per year to go 3-9 or 2-10 with an all-P5 schedule. However, I suspect the breakaway will come sooner rather than later, and that P5 matchups with FCS (and probably most G5) schools will be going away.

I don't know. Maybe. But it will come at a price. Not sure what that is, and while it may not be monetary, it will affect them possibly in a negative way. Scheduling is one issue. Would Clemson stand to end up with 11 or God forbid only ten games because they can't fill their schedule? I think not. Yes this not likely and is an extreme example just to demonstrate the possibility of an unanticipated affect of cutting off dozens of scheduling possibilities. But some P5 teams may get screwed as the scheduling musical chairs dance happens.

lionsrking2
January 22nd, 2022, 11:30 AM
P5/FCS guarantee games aren’t going away. There’s a reason why they exist in the first place and that dynamic isn’t changing regardless of how things are restructured.

DFW HOYA
January 22nd, 2022, 02:23 PM
P5/FCS guarantee games aren’t going away. There’s a reason why they exist in the first place and that dynamic isn’t changing regardless of how things are restructured.

There is a scenario where they all go away. The networks have to sign off, however.

lionsrking2
January 22nd, 2022, 02:25 PM
There is a scenario where they all go away. The networks have to sign off, however.
They aren’t going away.

Bisonoline
January 22nd, 2022, 02:32 PM

D2 and D3 will be fine.

The schools arent in charge of WHO get NIL. You cant dictate NIL on who should get paid. Thats all on the sponsor-payee. Regulating male NIL payments because Female arent getting sponsors is bull****.

Bisonoline
January 22nd, 2022, 02:34 PM
Conferences could legislate for themselves that they won't play FCS games, Pac-12 games, only play each other. Though individual schools might want to pursue their own path on that matter, and that's what schools have generally done - some play FCS schools, other's don't.

The Big10 already tried that.

centraljerseycat
January 22nd, 2022, 03:30 PM
Would love to see the G5 schools that don't have the millions to foolishly chase the holy grail of an FBS championship to join forces with the top of the current FCS to form a new classification.

DFW HOYA
January 22nd, 2022, 03:56 PM
They aren’t going away.
It goes away if Division IV or Super FBS or the Premier League or whatever they call it decides to. Texas A&M does not need to play Sam Houston and Abilene Christian.

Would love to see the G5 schools that don't have the millions to foolishly chase the holy grail of an FBS championship to join forces with the top of the current FCS to form a new classification.

Premier League: SEC, Big Ten
Championship Series: ACC, Big 12, Pac-12, AAC
League 1: MWC, MAC, SBC, C-USA, WAC, MVFC, CAA
League 2: ASun, Big Sky, SoCon, SLC, SWAC
League 3: Big South, Ivy, Patriot, MEAC, NEC, Pioneer

lionsrking2
January 22nd, 2022, 08:36 PM
It goes away if Division IV or Super FBS or the Premier League or whatever they call it decides to. Texas A&M does not need to play Sam Houston and Abilene Christian.

Premier League: SEC, Big Ten
Championship Series: ACC, Big 12, Pac-12, AAC
League 1: MWC, MAC, SBC, C-USA, WAC, MVFC, CAA
League 2: ASun, Big Sky, SoCon, SLC, SWAC
League 3: Big South, Ivy, Patriot, MEAC, NEC, Pioneer

That scenario isn’t going to happen

katss07
January 22nd, 2022, 10:00 PM
That scenario isn’t going to happen
What IS going to happen?

lionsrking2
January 22nd, 2022, 11:43 PM
What IS going to happen?

There may be some reshuffling among divisions, hierarchy, etc., but P5's, are never going to give up guarantee games. They need layups and chances to develop young players without risk of losing, plus FCS games are considerably cheaper. Maybe FCS is called something different in the future and there's a defined middle tier of D-I football, but we'll still see P5s playing teams that are currently FCS. They can talk about it all they want, there's a reason these games are played now, and a reason they haven't gone away.

WestCoastAggie
January 23rd, 2022, 07:12 AM

if the new 1-AAAA is formed and MEAC and SWAC land. Suppose the new 1-A still wants to play a game with a 1-AAAA team but will only pay $250,000 compared to the $450,000 they used to pay? That’s going to hurt and make those games less lucurative and further exasperate the resource strain those schools go through.

McCowboys
January 23rd, 2022, 08:30 AM
The committee (I'm assuming this will be made up of the Division I umbrella of FBS and FCS) will continue to meet. Does anyone know the makeup of the committee. The article (or another one I read) said that all 32 conferences are not represented. I know the Patriot League is an FCS representative, but are there any other FCS representatives? Are they taking input from fans and others?

Hammerhead
January 24th, 2022, 03:39 PM
That might just be the writing style. Does the phrase "my mom and dad, who had a knee replaced, walked two miles" mean both my parents had a knee replaced or just my dad?

lionsrking2
January 24th, 2022, 03:59 PM
That might just be the writing style. Does the phrase "my mom and dad, who had a knee replaced, walked two miles" mean both my parents had a knee replaced or just my dad?
Yeah, I'm thinking it's poor usage of commas and sentence structure, more than anything. Then again, maybe he's a dumbass.

ST_Lawson
January 25th, 2022, 08:30 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking it's poor usage of commas and sentence structure, more than anything. Then again, maybe he's a dumbass.

Probably both

lionsrking2
January 25th, 2022, 11:22 AM
if the new 1-AAAA is formed and MEAC and SWAC land. Suppose the new 1-A still wants to play a game with a 1-AAAA team but will only pay $250,000 compared to the $450,000 they used to pay? That’s going to hurt and make those games less lucurative and further exasperate the resource strain those schools go through.

I don't think anything will change much with guarantee structure. It's still a supply and demand issue and as long as FBS schools need home games, and guaranteed wins, they will pay for them. While the super P5's may segregate themselves in terms of who's in the mix for the grand prize, and maybe a middle tier of D-I evolves into a defined subdivision, they aren't stupid enough to limit the pool of regular season opponents. Unless the plan is to cut back to an 11 game schedule, there simply won't be enough schools in each subdivision to fill 12 dates and guarantee 7 to 8 home games, which many of these programs need in order to balance the budget. There are reasons why 115 of 130 D-Is played FCS opponents in 2021, and those reasons aren't going away with a new structure in Division I. What I would agree with is there may be a stricter standard on which FCS level schools are eligible to play a G5 or P5 opponent.