PDA

View Full Version : The FCS Way: Why They Play The Games

Lehigh Football Nation
September 13th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Enjoy this week's picks:

Something interesting happened last week with the latest round of FBS upsets. There were no front-page headlines in the New York Times proclaiming the end of Bowl Subdivision football after Northern Iowa dominated Iowa State 24-13. There were no Sports Illustrated covers after Southern Illinois embarked on an improbable two touchdown comeback in a 61 second span as they shocked Northern Illinois 31-28. It was as if FCS teams beating FBS teams all of a sudden had become old news.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=87414

GoldandBlack
September 13th, 2007, 07:26 AM
I'm afraid it was because none of those victories shook long-held, cherished biases regarding certain programs being invincible against "lower-tier" teams.

I do believe the media has a few sacred cows, one of which was slain on Sept. 1.

OL FU
September 13th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Nice article.

I think the below sums up why publicity for these wins is lacking. Whether Michigan ends up at the bottom or turns it around, ASU beating them was a shock to the FBS football world.xnodx

Right now FCS is 4-29 against FBS, and although this week features a lot of games that could go the way of FCS, it’s still very likely the FBS schools will win the great majority of these games.

I hope you are right about Furman playing Clemson that close

Proud Griz Man
September 13th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Don't feel guilty Chuck, we knew you weren't serious that the Griz would struggle to beat Fort Lewis.

MarkCCU
September 13th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Interesting read. Hopefully FCS will start to gain some respect

CSN-info
September 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM
And ultimately, it’s the dream that the Mountaineers are living out today that make these games worthwhile. Forget the guarantees for a minute that fund FCS athletics departments and help many FBS schools get easy wins. Forget the fact that it’s no longer news even when an FCS school beats an FBS school. Every kid who puts on a uniform in an FCS school wants to slay a giant in their four years playing college football, and when they do it can be a magical ride, whether it’s on the cover of Sports Illustrated or simply down the streets of Carbondale, Illinois. There is no better sports story when it happens. Feats like this make the games worth playing and the teams worth following.
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=87414xthumbsupx

travelinman67
September 13th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Enjoy this week's picks:

Nice write up and picks.

I'll take Davis, Penn, Cal Poly, and KS State, though.

BTW, found the "Jumping the Sharks" analogy interesting, but won't that be more appropos when Fordham whups USC's azz in an OOC game played in Mexico City and officiated by the Pussycat Dolls?
xcoffeex

appfan2008
September 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Interesting read. Hopefully FCS will start to gain some respect

we can always hope!