PDA

View Full Version : Underrated coaches in FCS

SU Jag
September 12th, 2007, 11:43 AM
My vote goes to Anthony Jones of Alabama A&M. Look at what he has turned that program into. They keep a great defence and he has won 1 Conference title and 4 Eastern Division titles since 2000.

SU Jag
September 12th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Joe Taylor of Hampton.

CopperCat
September 12th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Rob Ash, when he was at Drake, and even now at MSU.

henfan
September 12th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Gordy Combs (Towson), Al Lavan (Del State) and Sean McDonnell (UNH) get my vote. Sean's just beginning to get his due credit.

Mr. C
September 12th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Can a coach like Sean McDonnell, who has won the Eddie Robinson Award, be considered underrated?

DavisAggie
September 12th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Bob Biggs - UC Davis

GannonFan
September 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Can a coach like Sean McDonnell, who has won the Eddie Robinson Award, be considered underrated?

Well, it did take awhile for him to be noticed - he'd been working miracles at UNH for years before the rest of the nation took notice. The work he did before Santos got there was even more special than what he does now. xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
September 12th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I'd like to see what McDonell does this year without David Ball before I award him any kudos. He's a good coach, but he's made a lot of coaching mistakes that I have seen that irk me a bit (The Timeout in OT against Northeastern, The screen passes against UNI, the 4th down call, TWICE, against UMass) for me to put complete stock in him.

To only have three quarterfinal appearances with the type of talent he had the last few years is, frankly, a little underwhelming. The lack of defensive improvement is mightily frustrating, too. He's certainly proven he can get us there, I don't know if he can win it when it counts.

If he can bring this team to the playoffs (0-1 with Marshall, Richmond, Delaware, Northeastern, Maine, Hofstra and UMass still on the playoffs), I'll be VERY impressed, and be ready to put him up there.

GreatAppSt
September 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM
http://www.jaguars.com/team/images/Coach(2589)180x240.jpg

GSU's Brian Van Go..... oh, I forgot, never mind.

citdog
September 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM

LMMFAO!

citdog
September 12th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Kevin Higgins The Citadel. should have been last seasons Southern Conference Coach of the Year.

Grizzaholic
September 12th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Rob Ash, when he was at Drake, and even now at MSU.

I just hope this comment comes out right and is in no way intended to be smack on your coach.

How can Ash be underrated if he as only coached one game for MSU?

FCS Go!
September 12th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I just hope this comment comes out right and is in no way intended to be smack on your coach.

Maybe it's because very few people had heard of him in Montana before the selection process got going at MSU. Remember how "everyone" wanted Van Diest?

Grizzaholic
September 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I do, but on the whole wouldn't you want a coach that can recruit (sp) in a fairly large area, and not just in Montana. I understand I will probably get flamed for suggesting this, and this is not the topic at hand, but a coach needs to use all of his resources to his advantage and if he can recruit (sp again) from surrounding areas as well. I am not sure Van Diest has the contacts and that probably hindered him greatly in MSU's coaching decision.

Go...gate
September 12th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Kevin Higgins The Citadel. should have been last seasons Southern Conference Coach of the Year.

Agreed. He also did very well at Lehigh. They have never been the same since he left.

citdog
September 12th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Agreed. He also did very well at Lehigh. They have never been the same since he left.

you have given out to much reputation the last 24hrs to give gogate any!

FCS Go!
September 12th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I do, but on the whole wouldn't you want a coach that can recruit (sp) in a fairly large area, and not just in Montana. I understand I will probably get flamed for suggesting this, and this is not the topic at hand, but a coach needs to use all of his resources to his advantage and if he can recruit (sp again) from surrounding areas as well. I am not sure Van Diest has the contacts and that probably hindered him greatly in MSU's coaching decision.

On paper at least (like you said-one game so far) I think Ash was a much better choice than VD. The personel that he has brought in, his history at Drake and his public statements all seem top-notch. Much better than I was expecting from the Cats. By the end of the season we'll know more.

TheBisonator
September 12th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Rich Ellerson at Cal-Poly.

CopperCat
September 12th, 2007, 06:53 PM

I see things that Ash is doing that will have long term positive effects for this team. I guess you kind of have to see it from an insider's perspective to understand that. I take no smack in your comment at all.

But here's some smack for you: what's all the hype with BH when he hasn't won a NC over there yet?xsmiley_wix :D

ucdtim17
September 12th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Bob Biggs - UC Davis

Hasn't won more than 6 games since 2002 and more often finds ways to lose winnable games than win losable games. Does not deserve to be on this list.

EKU05
September 12th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Murray State's matt Griffin is the next big thing. What he did at UT-Martin was nothing short of a miracle, and he has even more tools to work with as he rebuilds at MSU.

Grizzaholic
September 13th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Quite possibly the most intellegent thing I have ever said.

[QUOTE]But here's some smack for you: what's all the hype with BH when he hasn't won a NC over there yet?[QUOTE]

xnonox That be smack son... time and a place for everything.

Go...gate
September 13th, 2007, 02:03 PM
you have given out to much reputation the last 24hrs to give gogate any!

Many thanks, Citdog!

optionattack
September 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Ha!
I'm biased, but I say GSU's coach Hatcher. I'm pretty confident he will make us forget all about B VGoober.

blackcaesar3k5
September 15th, 2007, 03:48 AM
My vote would go to Joe Taylor of Hampton University..

blackcaesar3k5
September 15th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Joe Kelly of Dayton University..