PDA

View Full Version : Delaware getting respect

UncleSam
September 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM
From URI coach Tim Stowers:

Delaware will be the Rams' toughest task yet, Stowers said.

"We had a Division I-A team on the ropes in their own backyard and couldn't just make one more play to win the football game," Stowers said. "I think we did make a significant improvement from the first game to the second game ... We'll have to make that much more of a significant improvement to have a chance to beat Delaware in their own backyard.

"I personally think Delaware is probably a 14- to 21-point better football team than Army is. Nothing against Army. But we've seen Delaware on film. You know, the big eye in the sky doesn't lie. It looks like they're getting in the mode of championship form."

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070911/SPORTS07/709110346/1002/SPORTS

89Hen
September 11th, 2007, 12:36 PM
"I personally think Delaware is probably a 14- to 21-point better football team than Army is. Nothing against Army. But we've seen Delaware on film. You know, the big eye in the sky doesn't lie. It looks like they're getting in the mode of championship form."

xlolx He learned that old trick from Tubby himself. Sandbagger. xnonono2x :p

Henny
September 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM
yeah no kidding, we will see what Stowers has in store for us this weekend. That is a tough football team they have in Kingston and our d-line better be ready against some experienced skill position players for the Rams.

igo4uni
September 11th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I watched most of the Army game and Rhody looks pretty tough. Should be a very good game.

89Hen
September 11th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Wasn't Lou Holtz famous for this too?... "I don't see any way we can possibly beat this team". xlolx

aust42
September 11th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Rhode Island sucks. They lost to Fordham and to the worst team in 1A. Delaware 49 Rhode Island 14.

GannonFan
September 11th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Rhode Island sucks. They lost to Fordham and to the worst team in 1A. Delaware 49 Rhode Island 14.

They didn't play Temple last week. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Franks Tanks
September 11th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I dont think there is much doubt that Delaware is better than Army, even in a mediocre year for the Hens. Its a shame it seems URI is very close to breaking through.

89Hen
September 11th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I dont think there is much doubt that Delaware is better than Army, even in a mediocre year for the Hens.
I don't think I can agree with that. xeyebrowx

appfan2008
September 11th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Deleware is going to be a very good team this year!

BlueHen86
September 11th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Wasn't Lou Holtz famous for this too?... "I don't see any way we can possibly beat this team". xlolx
Yeah, Lou Holtz did this all the time. He always made it sound like his team didn't belong on the field with the opponent. He even did it when his good Notre Dame teams played Navy.

Franks Tanks
September 11th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I don't think I can agree with that. xeyebrowx

I worded that poorly. I dont believe the hens will have a mediocre year this year, in fact it looks like you will be very solid this year. But even in years when the Hens are so-so you are as good as Army. I spent a year at West Point prep before transfering to Lafayette, and I can say that for the most part the talent at Army is equal to PL talent.

Franks Tanks
September 11th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah, Lou Holtz did this all the time. He always made it sound like his team didn't belong on the field with the opponent. He even did it when his good Notre Dame teams played Navy.

xlolx Dan Patrick always made fun of this. He would do a goofy imitation of Lou and say "golly gee we can beat Navy" funny stuff

BlueHen86
September 11th, 2007, 05:24 PM
xlolx Dan Patrick always made fun of this. He would do a goofy imitation of Lou and say "golly gee we can beat Navy" funny stuff
I remember that, and it was funny.xnodx xthumbsupx

blukeys
September 11th, 2007, 07:41 PM
It's nice to get some good words from Stowers. But, Delaware has always gotten respect even at times when UD didn't deserve it.

That being said this UD offense will challenge URI more than Army's offense did and I'm sure that is what Stowers is referring to. At any rate I am not ready to say that UD is better than Army. Time will tell. I agree with Gannonfan. As long as Temple fields a football team there is no way Army is the worst FBS team out there. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

89Hen
September 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM
But even in years when the Hens are so-so you are as good as Army. I spent a year at West Point prep before transfering to Lafayette, and I can say that for the most part the talent at Army is equal to PL talent.
AFAIK, Army only has one loss to a I-AA in many years. They beat UMass a couple years ago when UMass had a pretty decent team. xpeacex

henfan
September 12th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Rhody's beaten UD 2 out of the 5 games since Stowers came on board, inlcuding 1 win at the Tub. The Rams are absolutley capable of coming in and winning on Saturday. Stowers is just sandbagging.xnodx

citdog
September 12th, 2007, 09:49 AM
AFAIK, Army only has one loss to a I-AA in many years. They beat UMass a couple years ago when UMass had a pretty decent team. xpeacex

USMA lost to CSMA in 1992.

CSMA=The Citadel

WMTribe90
September 12th, 2007, 09:50 AM
UD 34 URI 24

andy7171
September 12th, 2007, 09:58 AM
URI impressed me against Army, they are a physical team. I don't think they'll take down Delaware though. I see a 34-17 Blue Hen victory.

And about the thread title, when HASN'T Delaware ever gotten any respect?

bluehenbillk
September 12th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the kind words Tim & yes UD has looked very impressive through 2 games but the season will carry out exactly how good UD is/can be.

One thing I can say, if they stay healthy, there aren't too many FCS offenses out there with the firepower & the 1-2 punch that the Blue Hens have exhibited.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I'm traveling 1000 miles to see this game. The Hens better not "lay an egg" in this one!!!!!!

ChickenMan
September 12th, 2007, 11:16 AM
And about the thread title, when HASN'T Delaware ever gotten any respect?

Last year... and it was well unearned... :p

89Hen
September 12th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I'm traveling 1000 miles to see this game. The Hens better not "lay an egg" in this one!!!!!!
THIS is the game you decide to come up for? xconfusedx

SunCoastBlueHen
September 12th, 2007, 01:57 PM
THIS is the game you decide to come up for? xconfusedx

Well, it's about on par with the Monmouth and Northeastern games. I would have to wait until November to see JMU and, if memory serves, it starts getting cold up there in November. :p

Plus, if I go to a game early in the season I have a better chance of convincing the wife that I should make a return trip should the Hens make the playoffs. xthumbsupx

ChickenMan
September 12th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Well, it's about on par with the Monmouth and Northeastern games. I would have to wait until November to see JMU and, if memory serves, it starts getting cold up there in November. :p

You've been in Florida too long... early November.. daytime temps normally run 65-70.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 12th, 2007, 02:10 PM
You've been in Florida too long... early November.. daytime temps normally run 65-70.

Burrrr. That's a cold day in January for me. :p

SunCoastBlueHen
September 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Per the Weather Channel's website -

Average Low / High temps for November 3rd.

Newark, Delaware 39 / 61

Belleair Beach, FL 61 / 82

Some of the best weather of the year here during that time, not to mention some of the best fishing. xthumbsupx

Conversely, average temps for September 15th

Newark, DE 57 / 79

Belleair Beach, FL 72 / 90

I'm most definitely coming out way ahead on the weather trade when weighing the two weekends.

89Hen
September 12th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Plus, if I go to a game early in the season I have a better chance of convincing the wife that I should make a return trip should the Hens make the playoffs. xthumbsupx
NOW you're thinking! xbowx Wish I were coming up, but I've got soccer games... dunno why they decided this year to move this game time up. Normally the first three home are ALL 7pm starts, which I can usually make.

GannonFan
September 12th, 2007, 03:09 PM
NOW you're thinking! xbowx Wish I were coming up, but I've got soccer games... dunno why they decided this year to move this game time up. Normally the first three home are ALL 7pm starts, which I can usually make.

TV for this game was the reason - game's on CN8 - without TV it'd be a 7PM game. Part of that CAA doubleheader plan for TV they've been pushing with a game at noon and another at 3:30.

89Hen
September 12th, 2007, 03:14 PM
TV for this game was the reason - game's on CN8
It IS?! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

ChickenMan
September 12th, 2007, 05:51 PM
ooooh delaware beat west chester im so scared, i hope rhody kicks your feathers all over the field.

West Chester.. same league.. same quality as 'Bloomsburg'.. maybe you remember them??? You should.. since JMU struggled mightily to beat Bloomsburg last year... and they didn't have their best player that night... ;)

AZGrizFan
September 12th, 2007, 06:00 PM
ooooh delaware beat west chester im so scared, i hope rhody kicks your feathers all over the field.

What are you, twelve? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xrolleyesx

BlueHen86
September 12th, 2007, 06:10 PM
What are you, twelve? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xrolleyesx
You just insulted my 12 year old son.

........and my 10 year old son.xrotatehx

BlueHen86
September 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Does your keyboard have CAP's?
Or can't you use caps and suck on a binky at the same time?

AZGrizFan
September 12th, 2007, 06:15 PM
You just insulted my 12 year old son.

........and my 10 year old son.xrotatehx

My apologies to you and your'n. ;) :D

Cobblestone
September 12th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I think with a little bit better play calling by Stowers at some critical points in both games this season, we could easily be 2-0 instead of 0-2. We gave Delaware a good game last season. If we can stop Cuff (easier said than done, I know) and if Casey can run for 100 then I think we can pull off a victory. I don't think it's that far out of reach.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I think with a little bit better play calling by Stowers at some critical points in both games this season, we could easily be 2-0 instead of 0-2. We gave Delaware a good game last season. If we can stop Cuff (easier said than done, I know) and if Casey can run for 100 then I think we can pull off a victory. I don't think it's that far out of reach.

I agree. I don't think URI coming away with a vistory would be as big an upset as some seem to indicate.

If Delaware does manage to win convincingly, however, it will definitely give some credence to the high optimism floating around Henville.

Peems
September 12th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Lets see,I do recall another team with a stupid looking helmet, being taken down on anygiven saturday.I would'nt sqwuak just yet.

I love Tom Zetts, and Marcus Mason!!

ngineer
September 12th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Well, if URI wins, then the Fordham game makes one pause and take notice of the "other' Rams, too...xeekx

BlueHen86
September 12th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Lets see,I do recall another team with a stupid looking helmet, being taken down on anygiven saturday.I would'nt sqwuak just yet.Ariz griz and blue hen just a bunch of college p---s.
Go ahead, spell it there buttdudefan.

YoUDeeMan
September 12th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Lets see,I do recall another team with a stupid looking helmet, being taken down on anygiven saturday.I would'nt sqwuak just yet.Ariz griz and blue hen just a bunch of college p---s.

profs? packs? pikes? plops?

Damn....never was good at crossword puzzles. :D

Let's see, 22 across. 5 letters for clueless goofball.

22. bdf_n.

Can someone help me fill in the blank? xeyebrowx xlolx