PDA

View Full Version : Urban Meyer to coach at FCS level?

Boogs
January 1st, 2022, 12:03 PM
Which FCS school would grab Urban Meyer in a heartbeat?

I'm thinking other than the bar/alcohol issue, it was just a matter of time before Urban Meyer would have turned the Jags into a playoff contender but the bar thing was a problem.

Urban Meyer is the equivalent of coach Bill Parcells.

Also, keep in mind Bill Belichick struggled with the Browns before making history with the Patriots.

I'd be up for Meyer taking over for Chamberlin at Dayton. Meyer knows the Ohio and surrounding recruiting area.

Laker
January 1st, 2022, 12:23 PM
He would go back to being a TV anal-yst before he would coach in FCS at the Pioneer level.

Boogs
January 1st, 2022, 12:26 PM
He would go back to being a TV anal-yst before he would coach in FCS at the Pioneer level.

He would not be in it for the money obviously in the Pioneer League. He would do the Jim Harbaugh thing (San Diego Toreros) to spring board for another shot in the NFL.

Libertine
January 1st, 2022, 01:31 PM
Where to start?

First, the "bar thing" was the least of Urban's problems in Jacksonville. Besides antagonizing his players and insulting the merits of the coaching staff that he hired, dude admitted to kicking a player. In fact, his only defense on kicking Josh Lambo was that he didn't really kick him that hard.

Second, even if there were a college in America willing to hire a guy who openly abused his employees, there's also the fact that he left Ohio State in scandal after enabling and covering up for one of his staff members routinely abusing his wife.

Third, even if Dayton -- or whoever -- were willing to take the flak for hiring a guy with all of Urban's baggage and Urban were willing to forgo all the TV money -- assuming he could even get that at this point -- to go back to the small college ranks in diminished health at the age of 57, the "Harbaugh template" here doesn't fit at all. Harbaugh didn't spring board from the PFL to the NFL. Harbaugh was already in the NFL (first as a player for 14 years, then as Oakland QB coach), went to USD, then went to Stanford, then back to the NFL as a head coach with the 49ers. Urban didn't have a day's worth of experience in the NFL before getting the call from Jacksonville. Harbaugh also successfully turned around the 49ers franchise, taking them to three straight NFC championship games along with one Super Bowl while Urban obviously flamed out in less than one with Jax.

Baron Sardonicus
January 1st, 2022, 02:15 PM
Dayton already has an excellent coach. If they ever wanted a big name coach to work for peanuts, they'd call Jon Gruden.

Boogs
January 1st, 2022, 03:45 PM
Dayton already has an excellent coach.

He's been there forever. Never has advanced to a better program like coach Rick Carter did to Holy Cross with the goal of coaching the New York Jets.

The program is slowly declining. Dayton has better facilities than Marist, Valpo, and many others in the league. Dayton is NOT a D3 facility. If it were they would NOT have been kicked out of D3 in the first place.

JacksFan40
January 1st, 2022, 06:04 PM
I’m sure someone will hire him, if Bobby Petrino can keep getting jobs I’m sure someone like Urban Meyer could as well. I don’t think he wants to coach college again. He only went to Jacksonville because of the ability to coach a once in a lifetime prospect in Trevor Lawrence.

ScrappytheOwl
January 1st, 2022, 07:51 PM
I dont think urban meyer would take a FCS job. I think he will lay low for a couple years and wait for the next big college program to come calling. I dont think anything meyer did was career ending like jon grudens situation was.

UNHWildcat18
January 1st, 2022, 07:56 PM
This thread…….lol smh

CopperCat
January 1st, 2022, 09:55 PM
Urban Meyer is the equivalent of John Calipari.

FIFY, and I'm not complimenting Meyer.

Both coaches were successful, but left a wake of destruction behind them when they moved onto new jobs.

Urban Meyer is a POS. He should never coach anywhere again.

DFW HOYA
January 1st, 2022, 11:00 PM
The program is slowly declining. Dayton has better facilities than Marist, Valpo, and many others in the league. Dayton is NOT a D3 facility. If it were they would NOT have been kicked out of D3 in the first place.

Dayton wasn't "kicked out" of D-III because of Welcome Stadium. It was because D-III schools unfairly thought it had an advantage in recruiting as a Div. I athletics program.

Panther88
January 1st, 2022, 11:50 PM
Interesting.

bob12
January 2nd, 2022, 03:56 AM
Dayton wasn't "kicked out" of D-III because of Welcome Stadium. It was because D-III schools unfairly thought it had an advantage in recruiting as a Div. I athletics program.

Wait, what? Dayton has an advantage that is considered unfair compared to your Georgetown University? What am I missing?

McCowboys
January 2nd, 2022, 06:50 AM
As McNeese was conducting its search for a new coach, Urban's name was brought up on a McNeese fan board. A couple thought it was a good idea and would bring national attention to McNeese (probably most of it not good, I should add), but thankfully the hiring of a new coach was not given to them and the majority of McNeese fans said, "Hell NO!"

I still have negative thoughts about Tressel, and he is a saint compared to Meyer.

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2022, 08:55 AM
Urban was never going to work in the NFL.

If he really wants to coach he sits around for year or two and then literally any HC job at a low-tier P5 or G5 school will be his. He is an asshole, but nothing he did was egregious enough that a desperate P5 wouldn't let him turn them into a powerhouse.

DFW HOYA
January 2nd, 2022, 09:08 AM
The "Dayton rule" was created in 1991 because Division III schools felt that Dayton (five NCAA championship appearances between 1980-1991, two titles) had an unfair advantage over schools which offered Division II or III sports only. They argued for legislation to have the 27 D-I schools playing below the Div. I level to be moved out of their divisions. An attempt to create a Division I-AAA championship was defeated because Div. II schools would not support it (it needed all three divisions to pass).

Of the 27 schools affected, 26 moved to I-AA after the 1992 season (Santa Clara dropped football instead). Two eventually went to I-A (UAB, Buffalo). Two new conferences were formed, the MAAC (five of the original six eventually dropped football) and the Pioneer.

WeAreThePride
January 2nd, 2022, 11:02 AM
I dont think urban meyer would take a FCS job. I think he will lay low for a couple years and wait for the next big college program to come calling. I dont think anything meyer did was career ending like jon grudens situation was.
Yep, I'm guessing Miami. Maybe Texas if Sark doesn't get things turned around quickly.

aceinthehole
January 2nd, 2022, 12:19 PM
The "Dayton rule" was created in 1991 because Division III schools felt that Dayton (five NCAA championship appearances between 1980-1991, two titles) had an unfair advantage over schools which offered Division II or III sports only. They argued for legislation to have the 27 D-I schools playing below the Div. I level to be moved out of their divisions. An attempt to create a Division I-AAA championship was defeated because Div. II schools would not support it (it needed all three divisions to pass).

Of the 27 schools affected, 26 moved to I-AA after the 1992 season (Santa Clara dropped football instead). Two eventually went to I-A (UAB, Buffalo). Two new conferences were formed, the MAAC (five of the original six eventually dropped football) and the Pioneer.

Of those schools, quite a few were playing in D-II instead of D-III at the time, including:
Butler
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Central Connecticut
Southern Utah
Valpo

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2022, 12:44 PM
Yep, I'm guessing Miami. Maybe Texas if Sark doesn't get things turned around quickly.
I don't think even Urban could salvage Texas or Miami. Those two programs are dumpster fires behind the scenes.

Paladin1aa
January 2nd, 2022, 01:28 PM
Urban ? Dayton ? 😂😂😂

No way Urban lowers himself to coaching at Dayton coaching in the dump known as Welcome stadium.

First, Urban is a multi-millionaire. He will get another TV gig first - easy work, big pay. Second, he will not seek another coaching job and won’t consider ANY FCS job. He will wait for a major program to call him up. He may or may not coach again. I believe he would only consider a major MAJOR power job to coach again.

Boogs
January 2nd, 2022, 05:15 PM
...while Urban obviously flamed out in less than one with Jax.

Bill Belichick flamed out with Cleveland.

FormerPokeCenter
January 2nd, 2022, 05:39 PM
Since we've entered the world of escapist fantasy, why not find an FCS gig for Saban while we're at it. I'm sure he'd like the challenge of doing more with less....

NY Crusader 2010
January 2nd, 2022, 08:06 PM
I think Urban ends up at a low-to-mid-level P5...for the 2023 season. I'm guessing he'll take a year off to let the Jacksonville disaster blow over everyone's memory.

The "bar video" relatively speaking is small potatoes. When Pete Carroll was at USC, he had a an apartment near campus where he used to bring back college girls. This is a known fact.

Boogs
January 2nd, 2022, 09:09 PM
Urban ? Dayton ? 

No way Urban lowers himself to coaching at Dayton coaching in the dump known as Welcome stadium.

First, Urban is a multi-millionaire. He will get another TV gig first - easy work, big pay. Second, he will not seek another coaching job and won’t consider ANY FCS job. He will wait for a major program to call him up. He may or may not coach again. I believe he would only consider a major MAJOR power job to coach again.

What does money have to do with this? Maybe he wants the challenge at Dayton?

Can you imagine players who normally go elsewhere coming to little ole Dayton?

Do it for two to three years and get them into the FCS playoffs with a first round win while destroying all of their PFL opponents and shutting them out too. He already has his financial situation secured.

Libertine
January 2nd, 2022, 10:34 PM
Bill Belichick flamed out with Cleveland.

Actually, no, Belichick did not flame out with Cleveland.

Belichick took over a Browns team in 1991 that had gone 3-13 the year before. They improved every season over the course of the next four years under Belichick culminating with a playoff win over Bill Parcell's Patriots in 1994. This, incidentally, would be the last Browns playoff win and one of only two total playoff appearances until the 2020 season.

The Browns were a .500 team in 1995, however, team morale and fan support cratered after Art Modell announced mid-season that he was moving the team to Baltimore and they finished 5-11. Belichick was still expected to coach the team in Baltimore but, following the often personal backlash from Cleveland over the move, Modell chose to leave anything behind that he wasn't obligated to take with him, including the head coach.

By any measure, Belichick's time in Cleveland is vastly superior to the Urban Meyer Experience in Jacksonville.

Maybe he wants the challenge at Dayton?
Except that taking on a challenge is not Urban's MO. His history as a head coach is going into established programs, plugging a superstar athlete into his -- at the time -- innovative offense and reaping the rewards. He had Josh Harris at Bowling Green (NFL draftee), Alex Smith at Utah (#1 overall draft pick to the NFL), he had a mix of future NFL athletes at Florida and basically a pipeline of NFL talent at Ohio State. At no point in his career has he taken a job that suggested Urban even likes a coaching challenge. You can make the argument that Jacksonville might have represented that but he went into that situation knowing that he could draft a generational talent at QB with the #1 overall pick and that the Jags had a stockpile of high draft choices after trading away their best players for the last few years.

And what would Dayton offer them to come? Scholarship? No. FCOA? Not likely. NIL deal? Probably not. The chance to be coached by a terse micromanager with a known neurological disorder who would most assuredly not have the funding to hire the level of assistant coaches, recruiters and support personnel that he's used to having around him and who just might kick you during practice? Sure, I guess.

Do it for two to three years and get them into the FCS playoffs with a first round win while destroying all of their PFL opponents and shutting them out too. He already has his financial situation secured.
So, just make Dayton the most dominant program in the country -- more so, even, than scholarship programs -- while doing all of that with less resources and, oh by the way, also doing it essentially for free? Again, Chamberlin's winning percentage in the PFL is .721. If Dayton fans want a winning program, you already have that.

Paladin1aa
January 3rd, 2022, 08:48 AM
Actually, no, Belichick did not flame out with Cleveland.

Belichick took over a Browns team in 1991 that had gone 3-13 the year before. They improved every season over the course of the next four years under Belichick culminating with a playoff win over Bill Parcell's Patriots in 1994. This, incidentally, would be the last Browns playoff win and one of only two total playoff appearances until the 2020 season.

The Browns were a .500 team in 1995, however, team morale and fan support cratered after Art Modell announced mid-season that he was moving the team to Baltimore and they finished 5-11. Belichick was still expected to coach the team in Baltimore but, following the often personal backlash from Cleveland over the move, Modell chose to leave anything behind that he wasn't obligated to take with him, including the head coach.

By any measure, Belichick's time in Cleveland is vastly superior to the Urban Meyer Experience in Jacksonville.

Except that taking on a challenge is not Urban's MO. His history as a head coach is going into established programs, plugging a superstar athlete into his -- at the time -- innovative offense and reaping the rewards. He had Josh Harris at Bowling Green (NFL draftee), Alex Smith at Utah (#1 overall draft pick to the NFL), he had a mix of future NFL athletes at Florida and basically a pipeline of NFL talent at Ohio State. At no point in his career has he taken a job that suggested Urban even likes a coaching challenge. You can make the argument that Jacksonville might have represented that but he went into that situation knowing that he could draft a generational talent at QB with the #1 overall pick and that the Jags had a stockpile of high draft choices after trading away their best players for the last few years.

And what would Dayton offer them to come? Scholarship? No. FCOA? Not likely. NIL deal? Probably not. The chance to be coached by a terse micromanager with a known neurological disorder who would most assuredly not have the funding to hire the level of assistant coaches, recruiters and support personnel that he's used to having around him and who just might kick you during practice? Sure, I guess.

So, just make Dayton the most dominant program in the country -- more so, even, than scholarship programs -- while doing all of that with less resources and, oh by the way, also doing it essentially for free? Again, Chamberlin's winning percentage in the PFL is .721. If Dayton fans want a winning program, you already have that.

All the above true.

Modell was a terrible owner followed by money grabbers just like him who killed the Cleveland teams. Belichick has established his coaching spurs and reaped the titles. And Urban ? Well, His record in college is what it is. Seriously, no way Urban goes to the armpit Dayton playing in the sewer of Welcome stadium, recruiting D-III players passing themselves off as FCS scholly players and compete with anyone outside of the PFL. Doesn’t happen. Ever !

This thread is an exercise in complete buffoonery.

Mocs123
January 3rd, 2022, 09:42 AM
No way UM comes to the FCS level. There would be a ton of G5 (and some P5) schools that would love to have him and offer him way more money. He has his issues, but he's proven himself at the highest collegiate level at three different schools, he has a high level job if he wants it.

ElCid
January 3rd, 2022, 10:31 AM
No way UM comes to the FCS level. There would be a ton of G5 (and some P5) schools that would love to have him and offer him way more money. He has his issues, but he's proven himself at the highest collegiate level at three different schools, he has a high level job if he wants it.

This thread is such a joke. There is no way someone of his ability would drop down to FCS, or to be more accurate, the bottom of FCS.

MR. CHICKEN
January 3rd, 2022, 10:41 AM
What does money have to do with this? Maybe he wants the challenge at Dayton?

xsmhx

Baron Sardonicus
January 3rd, 2022, 12:20 PM
Even if you could exhume Chuck Noll and make him the head coach, Dayton would still have recruiting limitations. For example, the school is in Dayton.

That said, 687 wins isn't bad.

Hammerhead
January 3rd, 2022, 03:55 PM
He'd probably be better off coaching a high school team.

This thread is such a joke. There is no way someone of his ability would drop down to FCS, or to be more accurate, the bottom of FCS.

crusader11
January 4th, 2022, 09:42 AM
Urban isn't riding buses anymore...

Lehigh Football Nation
January 4th, 2022, 02:26 PM
Where to start?

First, the "bar thing" was the least of Urban's problems in Jacksonville. Besides antagonizing his players and insulting the merits of the coaching staff that he hired, dude admitted to kicking a player. In fact, his only defense on kicking Josh Lambo was that he didn't really kick him that hard.

Second, even if there were a college in America willing to hire a guy who openly abused his employees, there's also the fact that he left Ohio State in scandal after enabling and covering up for one of his staff members routinely abusing his wife.

So, are you SAYING he's going to Youngstown State DEFINITELY, or maybe?

ysubigred
January 4th, 2022, 08:04 PM
So, are you SAYING he's going to Youngstown State DEFINITELY, or maybe?Too smart to coach at UPS etrr Lehahaha.. and besides he'd probably want a chance to win a NC. not piss down his leg in the PL..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Libertine
January 4th, 2022, 10:10 PM
So, are you SAYING he's going to Youngstown State DEFINITELY, or maybe?

Sure, why not? I could also say that Urban is going to Chicago State to get their program off the ground or, better yet, he's heading off to Vancouver to take over Simon Fraser because nothing says "coaching challenge" like coaching D2 American football in Canada. All of that makes equally as much sense as him going to Dayton.

Paladin1aa
January 5th, 2022, 06:05 AM
😂😂😂😂😂

Urban going to YSU ! Stunningly stupid.

First, the current AD wouldn’t know who Urban was. Second, he is more concerned placating the fat cats up in the loges who are munching their finger foods , sipping champagne and discussing their stock options while shunning the regular fans in the stands, the very few who are left. And finally Urban is not from the Valley, so he doesn’t know football like the football geniuses that grow only here and expect the recruiting not to be nationwide , using the Urban model, but keeping the recruiting locally to stars in the Mahoning Valley so it keeps the political friends continuing to employ an idiot in the AD seat.

Would be a serious improvement over the disastrous ***** ups over the last 20 years, but we are talking YSU here.

CockyGeek
January 5th, 2022, 05:18 PM
Urban Meyer will be back at Fox Sports before you can blink. They love the guy and have defended him through every scandal.

KnightoftheRedFlash
January 15th, 2022, 01:29 PM
Urban will be coaching a P5 school in the next five years.

Boogs
January 19th, 2022, 09:05 AM
Do you think any FCS program would fire their head coach to grab Urban Meyer?

Akron did that to get Gerry Faust when Faust was released by Notre Dame.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 19th, 2022, 02:56 PM
Speaking as an alum of a FCS school that successfully completed change that caught the interest of former NFL coaches (looking at you Jeff Fisher), I am glad ETSU never gave Urban Meyer the time of day. Our leadership team could have gone down that road but that would touch off a protest that would have made the Big Orange ReVOLution (aka Schellno Sunday) look like a walk in the park. If Tony Basilio got wind of that, he would be saying "Whiskey Tango Buctrot, Over?" at ETSU.

Laker
January 19th, 2022, 03:07 PM
Do you think any FCS program would fire their head coach to grab Urban Meyer?

Akron did that to get Gerry Faust when Faust was released by Notre Dame.

No.

Akron was desperate. Faust was a great HS coach, completely out of his league as a college one. In nine years at Akron his highest finish was third.

Paladin1aa
January 19th, 2022, 03:19 PM
Akron is a joke. Their best years were as D-II. Even as a I-AA they weren’t that hot. As a D-I, Faust was a reach. His h.s. Record was built on recruiting kids to Moeller from both in and out of state. Recruiting in college isn’t the same game. As a religious nut, he used the Notre Dame alumni to build a trail to get the head job. Major mistake. Akron just repeated the same mistake.

Urban will not take ANY FCS job. Period.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 19th, 2022, 03:36 PM
Where to start?

And who can remember Aaron Hernandez (may he burn in Hell)? He would later play for the Cheatriots, go on to get convicted of murder in a non death-penalty state, find his way out of this world and then have his conviction overturned after he died. The school he played for? Florida. The head coach at the time? Urban Meyer. I'll bet you a dollar Meyer knew Hernandez was a problem and he did the exact same thing. All in the name of winning at any and all costs.

Boogs
January 20th, 2022, 10:55 PM
I don't know why everyone is sh-----g on Urban Meyer. He kicked a player. Big deal. Bill Parcells was a tyrant. I'm sure he did worse. I thought everyone did that stuff.

Laker
January 21st, 2022, 08:31 AM
I don't know why everyone is sh-----g on Urban Meyer. He kicked a player. Big deal. Bill Parcells was a tyrant. I'm sure he did worse. I thought everyone did that stuff.

Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant are dead. So is Aaron Hernandez. Times have changed- Meyer has won wherever he goes until now- but karma has caught up with him.

This would apply to Urban Meyer and what happens to him all day long. From Raylan Givens on Justified.

“If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.”

MR. CHICKEN
January 21st, 2022, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=Laker;3035876]Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant are dead. So is Aaron Hernandez. Times have changed- Meyer has won wherever he goes until now- but karma has caught up with him.

This would apply to Urban Meyer and what happens to him all day long. From Raylan Givens on Justified.

....BETTERAH CHECK...WHIFF MICHIGAN STATE GYMNASTICS.......AWK!

Libertine
January 21st, 2022, 11:20 AM
I wasn't going to engage this anymore because this used-to-be-Dayton/now-Ohio-State guy is obviously trolling. However, this statement...

I thought everyone did that stuff.

...is gross and offensive to an entire coaching industry full of people, most of whom are honest and hard-working. They may not all be good at winning games but the vast majority of them are trying really hard to do their best with and for the kids entrusted to them. Which includes not physically abusing them.

To quote Ohio State prez Harold Enarson from the day he fired OSU legend Woody Hayes after Hayes punched a player, "there isn't a university or athletic conference in this country that would permit a coach to physically assault a college athlete." That was 1978 and it's still true, just ask Jim Leavitt or Mike Rice. Sure, there may still be some bad apples out there who haven't been caught, but to state that arbitrary assault is the standard among coaches is abhorrent and an insult to hundreds of thousands of honest people who don't deserve it.