PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian #33 and #1?

appsfan
September 9th, 2007, 07:18 PM
The just relased had ASU receiving 19 votes to be listed in the also receiving category. If you count down the list that makes us a hypothetical #33 overall in the AP poll while being #1 in the FCS poll.

blueballs
September 10th, 2007, 08:53 AM
You can kiss those votes goodbye this week.

No doubt ASU is #1 in FCS and deservedly so, but Michigan's preformance this weekend against Oregon put things in perspective a bit. Michigan was NOT a top 5 team when ASU defeated them and will be lucky to go .500 this year- which of course demonstrates two things: that the Big 10 is way overhyped and pre-season rankings are a joke.

james_lawfirm
September 10th, 2007, 09:05 AM

No doubt ASU is #1 in FCS and deservedly so, but Michigan's preformance this weekend against Oregon put things in perspective a bit. Michigan was NOT a top 5 team when ASU defeated them and will be lucky to go .500 this year- which of course demonstrates two things: that the Big 10 is way overhyped and pre-season rankings are a joke.

I understand your point, and I agree that the Big 10 seems overrated and that pre-season rankings in the FBS are a joke. In fact, I would argue that FBS computer generated rankings and the entire bowl system are jokes. They need a playoff system, where things are decided on the field! Duh.

Now, having said that, there is NO dispute that Michigan was the #5 team in the country by the FBS's own flawed system, when they lost to ASU.

NDState6531
September 10th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Had UM won out this year and beat up on everyone....ASU's win over them would have been called a fluke and nothing more. The problem with FCS and FBS is there should be no difference in the two and there shouldn't be two, just one. From what I can tell if you can pack 15,000 butts in your stadium for 4 years that alone affords you the opportunity to move to FBS....how the hell is that a measure? Maybe I am wrong on this and someone can come along and educate me but if this is right they should have never made a 1A and a 1AA back in the day. Btw this is my opinion and should be viewed and taken in as such! :D

AppGirl
September 10th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Did ASU's win blow the confidence of the Michigan team? Did they give up on themselves after we beat them? If that game had gone differently, or been later in the season, would Michigan be playing better this year? I'm just asking.

flexbone
September 10th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Michigans D Can't stop the Sread attack. And their O is overrated. Just like in the Championship game verse Ohio State - Southern Speed prevailed and this past week West Coast Speed proved once again "Speed Kills". Michigan will beat up the slower midwest teams and everyone will say they have gotten back on track - Yeah RIGHT until they play a team from the South with Speed and they go 0-5 in bowl games.

bkrownd
September 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM
In fact, I would argue that FBS computer generated rankings and the entire bowl system are jokes. They need a playoff system, where things are decided on the field! Duh.

No, they need to drop the stupid BCS nonsense go back to the traditions of the old bowl system. Nothing was ever better than those wonderful old all-day-long New Year's Day bowl marathons. xbawlingx xnonono2x

blueballs
September 10th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Now, having said that, there is NO dispute that Michigan was the #5 team in the country by the FBS's own flawed system, when they lost to ASU.

I wasn't very clear in conveying my point... Michigan was indeed ranked #5 in the poll when ASU defeated them, but there is no way they're one of the top 5 college teams in the country. I wonder if they'd even finish in the top 5 in the SEC east.

Does it knock a little of the luster off ASU's incredible win? Yes, but it was still a heckuva feat and in no way diminishes the benefits ASU has reaped from it nor should it in any way diminish the pride ASU should feel for accomplishing it.

blueballs
September 10th, 2007, 01:37 PM
From what I can tell if you can pack 15,000 butts in your stadium for 4 years that alone affords you the opportunity to move to FBS....how the hell is that a measure? Maybe I am wrong on this and someone can come along and educate me but if this is right they should have never made a 1A and a 1AA back in the day. Btw this is my opinion and should be viewed and taken in as such! :D

That's only one of the criteria. The big dogs fund 85 football scholarships and the appropriate number of scholarships in female sports to keep them title 9 compliant. That is the biggest difference.

NDState6531
September 10th, 2007, 06:24 PM
That's only one of the criteria. The big dogs fund 85 football scholarships and the appropriate number of scholarships in female sports to keep them title 9 compliant. That is the biggest difference.

Got it...so its a scholarship thing more than anything else with a few other small things thrown in to make it a little bit harder for smaller schools?

james_lawfirm
September 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Got it...so its a scholarship thing more than anything else with a few other small things thrown in to make it a little bit harder for smaller schools?

Yep. It's some big things and some small things that make all the difference somehow. Just kidding.

appfan2008
September 10th, 2007, 10:25 PM
the michigan win is still just as impressive as it was... it just proves that the spread is not for mich to defend... once they get to play a big 10 sched they will win a number of games

NDState6531
September 11th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Yep. It's some big things and some small things that make all the difference somehow. Just kidding. xlolx

Sorry I just read that again what I posted and it did sound a little retarded....it just seems to me that the criteria for schools to move up seems to be a bit of a crock....